Now, from the Party that brought you Medicare, DisabilityCare and GonskiCare, the Gillard Government is proud to present its latest reform: Veticare. Why should dog and cat owners be discriminated against when providing for the care of their loved and loving animals?
Veticare is the new universal scheme that provides:
- full health cover (including dental) for all pet dogs and cats including visits to veterinary surgeons and hospital care (which will include scheduled fees and bulk billing where available)
- paid leave to care for a sick dog or cat (up to three months a year of paid carer’s leave)
- paid leave to care for pregnant dogs and cats.
Working dogs will not be excluded either. They will be paid full sick and maternity (paternity) leave. Why should that hard working border collie or seeing-eye dog miss out on paid leave?
The Labor Party is proud of its affordable and caring programs. It is also justly proud of its sound management of the Australian economy during the most significant economic crisis the world has ever seen.
A new agency – Veticare Australia – will be established to administer the scheme. I have decided to appoint dog lover Kevin Rudd as the first Chief Executive of Veticare Australia.
To fund the new program, a 0.5 percentage point Vetilevy will be added to the Medicare levy. This will take the Medicare Levy to 2.5% from 1 July 2014.
Don’t let Tony Abbott hurt your pets – Vote Labor to get your dose of Veticare. We won’t sell you a pup!
Veticare: comprehensive, affordable and caring.
UPDATE: Noodle adds the following
We also need a non means tested Petcare rebate, so that people can be subsidised to put their cats and dogs in kennels when they go away on holidays.
Also, government subsidised obedience lessons for all cats and dogs.
And when dogs and cats get too old, they need to go into a fully taxpayer funded aged care facility.
I also propose:
1. The First Doghouse Owner’s Rebate
2. Puppy Bonus – $5000 for each puppy or kitten
3. PetDentiCare – free dental care for your pets