The European Union is unhappy that the G20 will not have climate change on the agenda.
What utter rubbish. They are the grossest hypocrites. The EU has stacked the deck in so many ways to minimise its own contribution to reducing CO2 emissions:
- it uses 1990 as the base year, conveniently just after the fall of the Berlin wall and when emissions fall just because East Germany joined a market economy
- it refuses to use consumption as the basis for determining targets – as a net energy importer that reduces the need for emissions reductions by EU economies and transfers the burden to countries that are net energy exporters like Australia
- it recently changed the target such that it is a EU-wide emissions reduction target that doesn’t apply to individual EU countries (Australia should sign on to a world emissions reduction target on the same basis)
- it has a highly corrupted emissions trading scheme that has generated windfall profits, has massively overallocated permits, and is connected to the corrupt Clean Development Mechanism.
- the purpose of the agenda is simply to reduce the prosperity of the United States to EU levels by tying it up in red tape and reducing US productivity. I guess it has achieved part of this goal.
No country should take any notice of the EU when it preaches on climate change issues. It has zero credibility. The EU’s (and the world’s) carbon emissions would be lower had it not pursued this ridiculous course. It has so corrupted the permits market with the CDM that emissions are higher than they would otherwise be. There are many oligarchs enjoying the fruits of this transfer of wealth from the public.
In effect, Europe has imposed a major deadweight loss on itself and the rest of the world and has achieved precisely the opposite of its stated intent.
The wise person ignores anything the EU has to say on climate change.