Day 3 of a broken promise

Okay – the Commission of Audit Report is now available. Having eyeballed the documents my first impression is that it contains a very modest set of recommendations. I’m happy to be proven wrong – but I suspect not. This is why the Abbott government is reaching for the tax grab.

In the press this morning Abbott government apologists were out and about putting the boot into Bill Shorten and the like – but it seems to me that the government should be trying to convince its freinds that the tax grab is a good idea, not its enemies.

This entry was posted in 2013 election, Budget, Taxation. Bookmark the permalink.

248 Responses to Day 3 of a broken promise

1. RodClarke

Our only hope for economic success and real taxation reform was a double dissolution.

Abbott has just blown the double dissolution.

2. Fleeced

I can’t believe the political capital they’ve squandered on this idea… even if it doesn’t go ahead, and they pretend they were never even planning it, nobody will believe them. What a waste.

Abbott is weak, and Hockey is a douche. The more I see of Hockey, the less I like him…

Fleeced

You dislike stapled more than Trumbull?

4. Token

I heard clearly that if you earn $80k you are rich and the class war warriors in the Labor-Lite Party are out to punish you.

5. Rabz

The weaselly, obfuscatory and bureaucratic Manglish used in this report (especially in the recommendations) is utterly infuriating, FFS.

6. I can’t believe the political capital they’ve squandered on this idea

What idiots.
    They learned nothing from Rudd-Gillard. Nothing.
    Rudd promised an ETS and scratched it. he was finished. Gillard promised no carbon tax but brought it in, and she was finished.
    Abbott promised no increase in taxes…..
    (finish that last sentence).

This is not complex. At its heart, politics comes down to big, simple ideas. If you promise not to increase taxes and then you bring in a new tax, you’re finished. No spin, no clever politics, can help you escape from that.
    It happened to Gillard. It can and will happen to Abbott.

7. Supplice

It happened to Gillard. It can and will happen to Abbott.

And then what? The Member for Goldman Sachs takes top billing? May as well have Gillard back in charge then. Nothing good will come of any of this, and all of Australia will suffer one way or another.

They learned nothing from Rudd-Gillard. Nothing.

Yup, back to the opposition benches, idiots.

9. If, and it is a big if, they implement the consolidation and re-federalisation programs, then this is worthwhile. Most of the other stuff was fairly weak adjustments.

I do not remember Kev07 receiving so much negative criticism when he created this problem Australia now faces. Just stop the unrealistic expectations of an overnight solution for the problem the ALP has given Australia. Yes in the long term cut spending. Then may be increase taxation. But just taking a broad sword to government spending will not solve the problem. There needs to be a slow process. Again just stop blaming TA for the problem. He inherited it. The ALP is to blame first and foremost.

11. And then what? The Member for Goldman Sachs takes top billing?

I’m not saying what I want to happen. But it’s an iron law of politics.
    There must be a price for raising taxes, and the price is double if you promised not to do it.

Ask Gillard if the law holds (“There will be no carbon tax”). Ask George HW Bush (“read my lips… no new taxes”). For all his faults Turnbull isn’t dumb enough to make this mistake.

12. H B Bear

Rabz (from the open thread)

But to achieve some form of true competitive federalism in the current economic, social and political environment would be a absolutely Herculean task and I simply don’t think the polity or the populace are up to it.

States would be all over a State income tax power that eliminated tied Federal grants. Taxpayers just need to know it is revenue neutral on day 1. The only reason it wouldn’t happen is the ever centralist Federal parliament and the Canberra public service.

Jurisdictional competition at the State level could solve a number of problems. KRudd and Gillard proved there is nothing inherently more competent or efficient about Cth government programs or administration. Getting the Feds out of education and health would be the end game.

13. I do not remember Kev07 receiving so much negative criticism when he created this problem Australia now faces.

Huh? His own party fucking rolled him!

How is it any better now than Kev13?

15. Gab

There’s no chance of an “overnight solution” as Abbott has promised (for what that’s worth) to be a steady government with “no surprises”. Of course that does not apply to tax increases.

16. MT Isa Miner

commendations) is utterly infuriating, FFS.

Aussiepundit

#1287768, posted on May 1, 2014 at 4:20 pm

I can’t believe the political capital they’ve squandered on this idea

What idiots.
    They learned nothing from Rudd-Gillard. Nothing.
    Abbott promised no increase in taxes…..
    (finish that last sentence).

This is not complex. At its heart, politics comes down to big, simple ideas.

Especially if the public service and the media are sticking their legs out to trip them every time they start to move.

Im hoping against hope that they are playing a long game and that pulling back the Canberra power grab is one side of a pincer movement. Lowering GDP spending to 25% is hopefully just the tip of the other.

17. “oh no, we can’t cut government programs. That would be politically impossible. No, instead, we’ll just break a major election commitment and raise taxes. The people will forgive us…”

18. Natural Instinct

It is so sad. There was a chance (as Kennett said) last October to come in swinging and do, do, do. But as time has progressed the shock of defeat has worn off on the ALP and its supporters and they are regrouping, the anger we felt for RGR mismanagement is fading – the initiative has been lost.
    Like Mitt Romney said, if 49% are on the ‘government teat’, then they will never vote against more, more and more – and never for smaller government (see United Voice NCA submission for an expression of this).
    I despair – not because I pay my way and am in the firing line. I despair because we are shrinking as a nation in our abilities and our ambitions. It’s just sad.

Seriously, the libs are soft-cocks and have fuckwits like greg hunt and other alarmists on board, but do people really think there is equivalence with the alp/green filth?

20. Supplice

FWIW I do think Turnbull is stupid enough to make this very mistake. First thing he’d do is break the promise to scrap the carbon dioxide tax, and its all downhill from there.

21. H B Bear

The Australian’s Paul Kelly and Dennis Shanahan discuss the Commission of Audit.

22. Token

The Stenographers are not viewers reporting on the game of politics, they are participants working to implement the 1960′s Marxist values & policies they fanatically believe in.

The Coalition will never be treated with anything other than utter contempt by that mob and should act in that way. They should be seeking to make the hard decisions based upon 3 years of government and stop trying to be loved by people who despise them.

23. Token

How is employment supposed to increase in this country when the Labor-Lite party is committed to class warfare and being better implementers of the welfare policies which will fiscally cripple the country?

Why yes, Abbott broke a pledge.

25. Gab

RET
    NBN
    NDIS
    Gonski
    PPL
    and a Great Big New Tax.

Liberty Quotes
    It has been reported in the press many times that the issue of pollution is to be the next big crusade of the New Left activists, after the war in Vietnam peters out. And just as peace was not their goal or motive in that crusade, so clean air is not their goal or motive in this one.
    — Ayn Rand

Big business, big unions and their ALP mates are fighting to preserve their position. So good government is not their goal or motive in this one. The left are happy for any criticism of TA. They do not care about anything but their power.

27. Rabz

and a Great Big New Tax Levy.

Gab, sheesh.

28. Gab

Oh, yeah. Thanks, Rabz. I forgot Abbott is echoing gillard.

29. rickw

Why not? Seriously, why not?

THE problem is Government spending. Spending that is well in excess of what it should be, mainly on complete rubbish or on the administration of spending on complete rubbish.

30. Dr Faustus

No discussion on productivity and growing the productive economy in all this.

I suppose Red Tape Day is as far as a government can reasonably go in an unforseen emergency situation such as we suddenly find ourselves in.

31. MT Isa Miner

Token

#1287810, posted on May 1, 2014 at 4:49 pm

Token, it is true. Not only them. Our heads have been filled with socialist shit since the 50′s. Most men are gutless ponces and most women are emotional airheads. Hard decisions means looking reality in the eye and then spitting in it.

I have to pull on my own chokechain to stop myself putting the boot in for the stupid decisions- car subsidy- ABC and SBS still sucking up $.

I swear I’m turning into the sideshow alley clown- turning, twisting thinking that Hockey and Abbott are softcock capitives and then turning again thinking that Abbott was a boxer so somewhere deep he understands the game.

32. Senile Old Guy

NBN
    NDIS
    Gonski
    PPL
    and a Great Big New Tax.

So now let’s list the things distinguishing Labor-lite from the real version:

Stop the boats
    ?

There’s got to be more than that, surely?

No broken promises
    No thought bubbles
    No class warfare

If it smells like a rat…

When’s Kokoda Joe appearing on Sunrise again with Kokoda Kev?

34. Andrew

Modest? You might want to come back to political reality, Sinclair. Politically speaking, these cuts are very large and will be politically very hard to implement. It is all well and good to be an ideologue on these economic issues, but actually implementing such public policy is very difficult.

35. MT Isa Miner

rickw

#1287826, posted on May 1, 2014 at 5:02 pm

Why not? Seriously, why not?

I hope Abbott is planning a sneak attack like the Japs. Cutting govt GDP spending to 25% AVERAGE is a good start. But its all wrapped up in 1000′s of words so hardly any bastard will pay attention.

I reckon we ought kidnap Rabz and record his FIRE. THEM. ALL SHUT. THEM. DOWN. and hack all the liberals pc’s so that they just keep playing Rabz on loop.

36. OldOzzie

What your Tax Payer Dollars are paying for at the State level

From my granddaughter’s Kindergarten in Melbourne

Responsible Pet Education Program for Preschools

Dear Parents,

A Pet Educator from the State Government’s Responsible Pet Education program will visit the children in May 2014.

Since launching in September 2003 the Kindergarten Program has grown in popularity in both Metropolitan Melbourne and Regional Victoria. The Program educates children and parents on how they can live safely with dogs. This includes learning what to do if they are approached by an aggressive dog or angry dog and the correct way to approach a dog. Our preschool children fall into the highest risk category for admissions to hospital caused by dog bites. With the correct information and appropriate safety skills we will hopefully reduce this alarming statistic.

There are 2 components to the program. The Pet Educator will work directly with the children for approximately 45 minutes and then with parents for for 40 minutes. We strongly encourage parents/caregivers to make them selves available for the parent session.

The Educator will speak to the parents at 1200

At this time the Educator will talk on how to provide a safe environment in relation to the supervision of dogs and children.

The Pet Educator will bring a suitably-tested dog with them, It is important that you inform your child’s teacher if your child is allergic to dogs or has a fear of dogs so that appropriate arrangements can be put in place during the session.

Your Taxpayer Dollars at work

Aussiepundit
    #1287798, posted on May 1, 2014 at 4:41 pm

Huh? His own party fucking rolled him!

Only after the damage was done!

egg_
    #1287799, posted on May 1, 2014 at 4:42 pm

How is it any better now than Kev13?

Oh ye with short memory.

Gab
    #1287800, posted on May 1, 2014 at 4:42 pm

If people keep falling for the anti-TA spin so be it. I will not bother arguing anymore.

38. Infidel Tiger

For freedoms sake… Fuck Abbott and fuck anyone that supports him. Scum one and all.

39. Infidel Tiger

Good German. Have a biscuit.

40. Pete of Perth

My missus comes from Singapore 30yrs ago : she is still astounded why our government gives so much money to people who are lazy. So am I.

In fact, sometimes I have to check myself from thinking that I must be a filthy capitalist exploiting the downtrodden because last week I finally paid off my mortgage after 20yrs of hard slog. Such is the insidiousness of pc that has slowly infected Australia.

41. Rabz

record his SHUT. IT. DOWN. FIRE. THEM. ALL

Miner – I actually (aurally) envision a sumptious concert hall recording of 1,000 Buddhist Monks chanting the mantra for a good 45 minutes at least.

That could be the recording played on loop on the hacks’ PCs.

:P

42. Infidel Tiger

Australia is toilet at a curry festival.

People keep telling me to leave, but I’ve been staying to annoy them and in the hope it may return to its senses. I think I’ve lost that battle.

43. struth

I remember a few of us being told quite dismissively by some on this blog that we were over reacting with our concerns about Abbott. Hello, where are they now. This moron comes in wanting to be an infrastructure prime minister and promises the world knowing labor had us in debt up to our eyeballs and now is using left wing economics to try and fix it. We are f:;;&&; ed.

44. Pete of Perth

IT

I pine for the days before OZ turned into latte sipping, arse bleaching softcocks.

45. James B

Fuck Abbott. He’s just another Labor Loony.

46. Art Vandelay

I agree. As the report notes, there are “194 principal Commonwealth bodies that operate under the Financial Management and Accountability Act 1997 and the Commonwealth Authorities and Companies Act 1997.”

Of these 194, they only recommend that seven should be abolished. That’s SEVEN.

47. Infidel Tiger

I’ll bet Abbott is into anal bleaching. Probably gets it done with all his lefty mates and claims it as an expense of office.

God I hate him.

48. Fleeced

Fleeced

You dislike stapled more than Trumbull?

I disliked them in different ways but with equal intensity… on balance, I’d say Staples is worse than Turncoat.

49. tgs

LOL at stackja claiming anyone else has fallen for spin while he pedals partisan hackery and mindless cheerleading with every post.

50. Pete of Perth

This should cause a lefty heads and muzzy heads to explode. Example from the founding of Israel of take roll your sleeves up and no prisoners attitude that we need today: 1948 Mathal forces vs Arab armies

51. Pete of Perth

… roll up your sleeves and take no prisoners….

52. Infidel Tiger

Stackja and the rest of the LNP acolytes sicken me to my core. It’s because of people like them Australia is a big government stink hole and will forever remain as such. Come the revolution I’ll shoot them first.

53. If people keep falling for the anti-TA spin so be it.

I don’t think it is an issue with falling for the AA spin. We are the ones spinning it.

54. GerardB

What is your problem, we need to get the deficit under control and a deficit levy is a good way to go.

If you want to call it a tax, then I respectively suggest that it be called the Rudd-Gillard-Swan tax – RGST or the Swan-Henry-RUdd-Gillard tax – SHRUG tax. commemorating the Swan, Rudd and Gillard who did the damage under the watchful eye of the head of the Federal Treasury at the time, one Ken Henry.

This is what it will cost to restore control of the deficit spending of the previous Labor incompetents. Sometimes one has to put one’s self-interest to one side to get things back on track.

We can’t afford Labor and I sincerely hope that Abbott and Hockey have the courage to stare self-interest and entitlement down and get the deficit under control ASAP.

Stacks is loyal, like me…and you guys are piling on him like a bunch of dickheads. But loyalty can only be stretched so far, so I expect that Stacks is pretty close to the limit of stretchiness. Ditto.

Who’s prepared to march on Parliament House…you know, take an unpaid day off work or your business and voice your opposition? Like all the ‘old folk’ a couple of years back… the ‘no consequence’ types.

56. Liberal or Labor – Hobson’s choice

Good heavens, Grigory…we seem to be making the same salute. :)

58. jumpnmcar

Geez the media is good. ( the media both the left and right don’t trust )
    They’ve whipped up a frenzy of AbbottHate ( on the left and right ) about what Abbott may do.
    Are paper bags to hyperventilate into bulk billed or covered by private health insurance ?

59. Infidel Tiger

March to protest what? Both Lib and Lab have the same policies and would laugh at you as crazy hicks.

Fuck them and they supporters to hell.

Unless you are voting for small government, you must be imprisoned pending an economic use being found for your corpse.

60. Infidel Tiger

Stacks is loyal, like me…

FFS. Be loyal to your principles, not the name on a ballot paper who doesn’t even respect you.

The reason I asked is because you came out with a hate screed of such intensity the other day against Staples that made me question whether you disliked him even more that Trumbull. Was just curious, that’s all.

Shhhh…IT. I wrote a little email to my local member today (in between putting out the usual spot fires) saying pretty much that, but not quite as eloquently. Trouble is Phillip Ruddock is very close to retirement, but I still see him as the better candidate in my neck of the woods.

Laugh at me as a crazy hick? Been happening all my life.

63. jumpnmcar

Anyone read the CoAR ?
    I hear it has some good recommendations .

64. Eyrie

OldOzzie, FFS what a waste of money. It is only 15c for one .22LR to take care of an aggressive dog.
    Why does this country tolerate kids being bitten by dogs? Dog ownership needs RESPONSIBILITY by the owner. Owners need to give a good reason for owning one, have suitable premises, undertake not to annoy the neighbours and both owners and dog need to pass dog obedience school. Heavy fines on owners whose dog bites somebody. Start at $10,000. I’m fucking sick of going for a walk and being aggressively barked at by dogs. If the owner threw verbal abuse at passers by in like manner he’d be charged. An old lady was killed by someone else’s dog less than 300 meters from my house some years ago. The owner should have been charged and convicted of manslaughter and jailed for some years.
    No, I don’t hate dogs. I hate irresponsible bogans who own them.

Last time I looked, Ruddock was the party whip…I hope he applies it in the way I anticipate (that image was just for you IT :) )

66. Fleeced

Infidel Tiger observed in a previous thread that people defending this policy are like a guy who comes home to find his wife fellating the neighbour, and merely comments on how impressive her wedding vows were… but I reckon people like stackja would go one step further – they’d get down on their knees and show her how it’s done.

It’s unbelievable, Fleeced. The good little german groveling is unseemly.

Here’s a question for the good little germans. What would it take to get you really ticked off with the libs and if nothing then say so.

68. jumpnmcar

IT

Dude, your in, by your own free will, a country you hate and who’s people you want to shoot.
    Please fuck of and make us both happier.
    If the revolution happens you’ll be dead before you get you morning moisturiser on with the constant screeching you do, most likely by your female commanding officer.

What would you have us do, JC? Should I chain myself to the railings outside Ruddock’s office? Throw myself in front of a racehorse in good wymminses style? Fulminate and froth on a blog?

I have written an email…any other suggestions?

70. Infidel Tiger

From the sounds of it they’d be pretty pissed off if they ran a classical liberal agenda. I think we’ve identified the problem… It’s the base. They are big government loons.

71. jumpnmcar

JC

What has Abbott done exactly ?

Jump

The libs are total scumbags. They went after the Liars Party over issues of big new taxes and broken promises and the first thing they do is break a pretty important pledge that was made by that stuttering idiot.

The Cat doesn’t forgive nor forget.

73. Infidel Tiger

I only hate Australia beca

74. Infidel Tiger

75. jumpnmcar

JC
    So you’ve seen the budget or just the leftist media spin ?

What has Abbott done exactly ?

Seriously, you’re asking me this after they’ve broken a no taxes pledge? They crucified the Liars over lies and broken pledges. Now look at them. In some ways the hypocrisy is even worse.

77. MemoryVault

No mate. You’ve got it arse-about.
    IT is in a country he/she loves, and is witnessing its slow and painful destruction, and is right royally pissed about it, fully understanding the alternative possibilities.

The only people IT wants to shoot are the self-seeking, self-aggrandizing pollies responsible for the mess.

And in that he/she is by no means alone.

78. Gab

IT, hun, have some carbs.

79. jumpnmcar

IT

I only hate Australia beca…..aide she promised so much and instead I came home and found her giving the neighbour a gobby.

And yet you stay, and bellyache to ya mates at the pub about it. Day after day after day…..
    Strange man……

80. In general, there is scope for this to develop well, but really they need to use the CoA report as a starting point and move from there.

No need to do the tax thing.

81. Infidel Tiger

I’m having them in fermented barley and hops form right now, Gab.

JC
    So you’ve seen the budget or just the leftist media spin

I saw Corman’s comments making it appear like the done deal. Furthermore Staples has made numerous comments to the effect that we all have to share the burden. WTF? The money was basically spent on the Liars constituency and I/we have to share the burden of repayment. In fact it’s not really sharing the burden, is it? Liars constituency basically doesn’t have any money to contribute to the debt repayment.

83. James B

Why do they $2.5 billion a year to spend on “direct action” yet they have to tax us all more to raise an extra $2.5 billion for the budget?

These fucking idiots were given a perfect opportunity by Palmer to get out of implementing “Direct Action”. I think this government needs to be purged. Send them into opposition for 50 years, let Australia by a big government socialist “paradise” like France is. Fuck the whole country, fuck industry, tax us all to death, just to show all these fucking idiots what it is they want.

I’m out of here. Moving to the US as soon as possible. Enjoy paying for your big socialist utopia, idiots.

84. Infidel Tiger

Jump you sound like a battered wife.

Seek shelter love.

85. jumpnmcar

MV

No, it said

You see the difference ?

86. Gab

Staples

Sorry but who is this Staples of which you speak?

And you honestly think it’s better there?

Take a look at some countries in Central Americawhere you can buy beachfront for a coupla hundi and set up a great house where the weather is perfect most of the year.

I’ve been trying to talk wifey into doing it.

And foreigners can live there tax free.

IT, hun, have some carbs.

Luv ya, Gab!

I dun ma bleedin’ best…but it ain’t enough for some. And I refuse to have a PMT hissy fit. What’s a girl to do?

89. Grigory M

I’m out of here. Moving to the US as soon as possible.

The Carolinas and Florida do look attractive ;)

90. jumpnmcar

Jump you sound like a battered wife.

Haha. Now you say something funny.

It’s you that need to consider your spousal arraignments.Remember,

91. Grigory M

Sorry but who is this Staples of which you speak?

The former fat guy (on left of your tv just after 2.00pm this arvo) – aka ‘Dumb’ – the guy on the right of screen with the spiky hair was ‘Dumber’.

Let’s just hope that a few major Western economies crash into that pit before ours does. That’s really the last straw to cling to.

93. Infidel Tiger

Sorry guys. Abbott is the greatest. Tax and spend is your friend!

Yay for Tony and the Liberal Party. Boo hiss if you are against them.

94. Shelley

Agreed.

I am going to get my arse kicked for what I am about to say of that I have no doubt. I used to have more respect for this blog and its commentators, but recent days I am not so sure.

Those of you who can’t seem to comment without abuse, cnuts, f*&ks etc are just as bad as the Badhams and Devenys of the world. I don’t see too many good arguments being prosecuted apart from the old Libertarian ‘don’t tax me’, ‘I am responsible for me’, ‘we don’t need any government’. I think there is general agreement that they need to cut – the APS, green and climate schemes, UN, welfare etc. The abuse of TA/JH is breathtaking – particularly as the budget hasn’t even been announced. So say by some revolting twist of fate next week we have Dolly and his lot in charge, you would all be complaining within days. But you are all going to vote for the DLP aren’t you? They are as fringe as the Greens. This does not mean I am a cheerleader for the Libs – but give them a go, seems many are falling for the Abbott666 media frenzy of what might happen. At least have the dignity to wait and then react when something is actually announced. It is really hard to know what you lot want and where some of you stand. Seems to me you just stand entirely for yourselves, all trying to be smarter than the next, and confused about how you actually think the place should function under our democracy. Oh that’s right, you want a revolution.

Australia is a big government stink hole and will forever remain as such

. IT you refer to Australia as a toilet ad nauseam. Perhaps you really should leave.

95. Gab

Calli, we each grieve for the slow death of our country in our own unique way. Remember the five stages of grief?

Some are in denial or at the bargaining stage (aka still refusing to believe the death is occurring becuase it is slow).
    Some are angry and/or depressed. Different expressions of the same emotion.
    Others are at the acceptance stage. (See denial above).

96. 2dogs

The CoAR is recommending a tightening of the means test for the pension, affecting new pensioners from 2028. This will be in time to hit the cohort of the mini baby boom that peaked in 1971.

Likely to get up given the banter that has been happening.

97. jumpnmcar

If there is no ” deficit tax ” in the budget a lot of egged faces about.
    IF

98. Notafan

Just as well it’s not a 5% deficit levy.
    Abbott and co should ditch direct action, they know it’s climate crap and they are clearly going to lose more friends with a tax hike than they will with getting rid of DA, which is a bunch of gobbledegook anyhow.

99. MT Isa Miner

James B

#1287945, posted on May 1, 2014 at 6:45 pm

Shit a brick, James B. Don’t do it. The USA is more than 25% low IQ, no future orientation, culturally communist brown/black people. At least here we have hope of turning the ship. The USA is sinking with those numbers. I really hope, selfishly for our defence sake, and for the sake of a country that went to the moon, that they can change but those numbers are hard to fight against. Stay and fight mate. The Cat should be like the early Christians- we need to harden up and support each other’s faith. (not in the LP necessarily)

100. jumpnmcar

Sorry guys. Abbott is the greatest. Tax and spend is your friend!

Yay for Tony and the Liberal Party. Boo hiss if you are against them.

Now, see, you overcorrected and lost control.
    Try smaller corrections.

101. srr

CONTAINING THE WHOLE SCIENCE OF GOVERNMENT

Chapter 10

Little Dorrit
    by
    Charles Dickens

yep, I was reading that book while also listening to 2GB and all the prattling about our government NOT DOING what we elected them to do, and all the excuses for and from all sides of government, and got to Chapter 10 as the journos were let out of lock down, to prattle some more, and realized, I was reading and listening to The Same Thing!

102. Gab

‘we don’t need any government’

That is not a Libertarian position. It is instead small government therefore requiring less taxation. A solid concept especially when one recalls how small the government was up until about WWII and somehow people survived (and had a heckuva lot more freedom) without this massive conglomerate we have today that just keeps borrowing money to pay for its minions of public servants and various fancy but unnecessary and useless schemes and programs. The more government a country has, the more the workers get taxed.

103. Infidel Tiger

I’m sorry Shelley but if a man can’t get a little angry and drop the magic when he sees his country going down the shitter, then I’m not sure when he can.

Many of you will choose to spray more air freshener. Me? I like to point out the s-bend ahead.

104. Baldrick

Infidel Tiger
    #1287960, posted on May 1, 2014 at 6:54 pm
    Sorry guys. Abbott is the greatest. Tax and spend is your friend!
    Yay for Tony and the Liberal Party. Boo hiss if you are against them.

Thanks IT … I just sprayed my red wine like a red-mist headshot.

105. jumpnmcar

Notafan

Abbott and co should ditch direct action

No, no, that would be a broken promise.
    The Cat would be outraged if he did.

Gab, words do not adequately express my disappointment with what appears to be proposed (note the wording). I am angry, shitty and peed off…the phones have been dead for two weeks and I had my first new lead today.

I also hate kite flying, ie game playing. It’s childish in the extreme, given that the pawns are real people. I thought the Libs were better than this and believe me, I told my local member just that. I trust others have done so as well.

IT, I suggest chocolate and a little bit of wot you fancy. And we’ll all respect you in the morning. :)

107. jumpnmcar

What Shelley said.
    Spot on.

108. Gab

Gab, words do not adequately express my disappointment

Well that’s why we have IT around! He expresses it more than adequately.

109. Fleeced

If there is no ” deficit tax ” in the budget a lot of egged faces about.

Christ, you’re thick.

If there’s no levy in the budget, it’s precisely because of our strong stance against it.

110. Combine_Dave

Notafan

Abbott and co should ditch direct action

No, no, that would be a broken promise.
    The Cat would be outraged if he did.

As this is a libertarian blog that despises wasteful government spending that’s very unlikely…

111. jumpnmcar

Christ, you’re thick.

Haha, the blogs dictate Government policy ?
    OK we’ll run with that.
    Results to date aren’t that flash though…..

112. Rabz

Abbott and co should ditch direct action

No, no, that would be a broken promise.
    The Cat would be outraged if he did.

Now you’re just being silly for the sake of it.

I won’t speak for others here, but I have always strongly advocated that Direct Action should be scrapped and its architect, that warmist dweeb Hunt, be dumped to the back bench prior to being disendorsed.

It’s a stonkeringly stupid waste of money and no one would even notice if it was never implemented – and as noted above, giving DA the flick would ‘save’ the same amount as the so called “debt levy”.

I’m a hell of a lot more angry about having no electoral choice – one bunch of barking mad leftist clowns as opposed to another slightly less odious bunch of less barking mad leftist clowns.

113. jumpnmcar

Combine Dave
    Take it up with JC.
    He’s pissed of with broken promises.
    He’s likely cranky Abbott watered down the PPL too.

114. Combine_Dave

Australia is toilet at a curry festival.

Don’t do it IT! If enough of you leave the Abbott Gov (based on current form) would merely jack up the deficit tax on the rest of us rich 1%ers to make up the shortfall….

With my current expenses this new tax will be a serious impost upon my quality of life. Sadly I can’t leave easily (and escaping to tw doesn’t float my boat).

115. Andrew

No. The GreenLP Coalition govt only raised my taxes by $1,000 p.a., not $10,000 p.a. like this grubocracy will. And the Green scum are (allegedly) fighting to block my tax increase.

Not equivalent at all. These Canutes are much worse.

116. Combine_Dave

Combine Dave
    Take it up with JC.
    He’s pissed of with broken promises.
    He’s likely cranky Abbott watered down the PPL too.

I suggest he’s pissed off that he voted for a Liberal when all he got in exchange was another Gillard.

117. Notafan

Yeap,if you reading Mr Abbott it doesn’t matter if you break a promise only the greens care about, they didn’t vote for you okay?
    PS twitter is not important.

118. James B

I’m aware this sounds racist, and it probably is, but I prefer the company of white people. Plus, I like the feeling of the first world. I’ve been to places like that and I just could not live there. The infrastructure for modern living just isn’t really there. I work in the computer science sector and there are no jobs for me there, anyway. The US offers the best opportunities for liberty in the first world, and they speak English.

119. Perpetual Motion

Haha, the blogs dictate Government policy ?

Yes, to an extent.

But as citizens, we are also free to contact our local members and express our feelings about policy.
    I’ve unsubscribed from the LNP email and told them why…that Abbott is a liar no different from Gillard.

I’ve sent the below email to my local member. If enough people do this, then policy can definitely be affected.

Dear Ms Prentice

I am a constituent of yours and a life-long Liberal voter. I wish to register my disgust with the proposed deficit levy.

If it goes ahead, I will consider it a broken promise on a par with Julia Gillard’s “no carbon tax” promise, and I will not vote Liberal at the next election.

Please convey to Mr Abbott and Mr Hockey my bitter opposition to this proposal.

Regards

120. johanna

2dogs
    #1287964, posted on May 1, 2014 at 6:58 pm

Likely to get up given the banter that has been happening.

This (not you, 2dogs) is typical of the political stupidity that characterises this government.

Firstly, it can’t be done. A government today cannot bind a future government, and talking about 2028 is just fantasyland.

Yet Dumbo Hockey has been running around making ominous noises about screwing pensioners, scaring the shit out of them. A lot of the detail goes through to the keeper. What they hear is “the Coalition government is attacking pensioners.” Brilliant, Joe, just brilliant.

Quite simply, we don’t know what our economic circumstances will be in 2028 – if we keep getting richer, it may not be a problem. It’s this “intergenerational” line that Treasury keeps pushing, and Costello was dopey enough to fall for it too.

The best way to manage the economy is to manage it as it is now, and leave a healthy legacy for whoever is there in 2028. It sure won’t be Joe – he’ll be safely retired on his hefty, non-means tested Parliamentary pension.

121. jumpnmcar

Me thinks ITs toilet at home is named ” hyperbowl “

122. Natural Instinct

Now for a little diversion to calm things down…….
    Gab:

Sorry but who is this Staples of which you speak

Should that be:

Sorry but whom is this Staples of which you speak

Or

Sorry but whom is this Staples of whom you speak

Bring on Gonski and a grade Tenner will be able to tell us (that was attempted sarcasm).

From previous, the best scenario is Morrison as opposition leader, happy to help at the ballot box.

124. Notafan

If they drop direct action what will Greg Hunt do? Can he be minister of science instead ? That should mollify the greens who think that… not much really.

Yep…kite flying. Juvenile, leftish, pathetic.

Hockey should look at his, and his colleague’s pensions…plenty of cuts there.

126. James B

Weird thing is I don’t even understand this. Literally nobody will mourn if direct action dies. There is not a single person in this entire country that will give a shit, and most will be happy. Same with paid parental leave.

Why is a big tax hike on people who are trying to get ahead a better idea than abandoning those things that nobody in this country wants ? Who comes up with this sort of stuff except somebody hell bent on big government?

At very minimum this Greg Hunt fuck needs to be thrown out. Hockey needs to fuck off too. Abbott might be able to be saved, he’s given good signs elsewhere that’s he’s pro-small-government, and I think Hockey bullied him into accepting this tax. Elevate Dennis Jenson and Steven Ciobo, and Bernardi too. So much talent that’s not being put to use. George Christenson is a smart guy, as is Graig Kelly.

They’ve got a cabinet full of big government statist cowards.

127. Infidel Tiger

If those gutless Brits hadn’t handed Hong Kong over to the Chicoms I’d move there in a heart beat. Doubt they’d have me though.

But Hongkers is yet another place becoming a statist toilet.

128. Natural Instinct

Now for a little diversion to calm things down…….
    Gab:

Sorry but who is this Staples of which you speak

Should that be:

Sorry but whom is this Staples of which you speak

Or

Sorry but whom is this Staples of whom you speak

Bring on Gonski and a grade Tenner will be able to tell us (attempted sarcasm).

129. James B

This government needs to learn there is NO POINT in placating people who will never vote for them.

130. Gab

Best place for Hunt is on the back benches.
    After dismantling and defunding any agency/department that receives taxpayers money earmarked “Climate” or “AGW” or any other permutation, then they can create a science portfolio with Dennis Jensen as the minister.

131. Infidel Tiger

Me thinks ITs toilet at home is named ” hyperbowl

I’ll pay that one! 1% debt levy not included.

132. Sally

History repeats itself. Tony’s government is starting to look like the weak Fraser government.

133. Gab

Sorry but I only accept corrections of grammar from Deadman. He’s my go-to guy.

Sorry but I only accept corrections of grammar from Deadman. He’s my go-to guy.

Especially if drops some Latin, or some Greek (sigh) into da critique.

The last Costello budget (2006-07) upcontaminated by the ransacking of the federal treasury that began in late 2007 and Howard’s attempted election purchase spent 219.7 billion.
    This afternoon, the Fat Socialist Controller unveiled a state of the budget analysis that predicts federal spending in 2013-14 of $409 billion, an 86% nominal increase on the last uncontaminated Costello budget.
    Last May, Shane Wand proposed $398.3 billion of spending and a $10.6 deficit, which, by this afternoon had blown out to $47 billion.
    If the Fat Socialist Controller hasn’t made a start on this reckless spendathon on May 13 with at least a 5% reduction on projected 2013-14 spending to $378.4 billion, he will have proven he is part of the Liars-Greenfilth problem.
    And there woud still be $100 billion to go. Current federal spending with 3 per cent annual nominal growth to keep pace with inflation since 2006-07 should be $278 billion.

136. Motelier

I said earlier on this week about how the number of persons in employment is increasing and the number of unemployed persons is dropping.

My simple deductions from this are that unemployment benefits costs are reducing and the number of net taxpayers in inceasing. Costs are lower and income is higher. Business 101 I mentioned this in a tweet to Sloppy Joe. This pages shows the numbers for March 2014.

What the LNP have to do IMHO is to find ways to reduce the costs of welfare and increase the numbers of people paying net tax. Not increase the tax on one section of society.

If they really want to do a slash and burn (just like a business owner would) then future spendings that have not started are really easy to put in the bin or on the back burner.

It is easy to see that the current crop are career politicians and not from the hard school of business survival.

In fairness, Fraser had control of both houses…

That was after the Whitlam squandocracy, and the country was still in shellshock. After RGR, we have a white anted media to add to the toxic mix. And a hostile Senate.

138. Natural Instinct

Especially if drops some … Greek (sigh) into da critique

We will be like Greece, unless the liberal soft-socialist elites do not get a bit of mongrel and do something to turn around the SS Titanic Australis

139. Shelley

On DA. The focus in the Abbott666 media has been the carbon reduction angle. Reading through the policy it seems more than that – a key part of it is decreasing the environmental approvals required, streamlining into one area. Surely this is positive. Another is the so called ‘grey army’ – but essentially aimed at a cross section of volunteers/unemployed across the community cleaning up the environment, tangible, real on ground results. How is this different to Landcare and similar groups – again surely this isn’t bad. Having a scan of the media, seems that the ‘blowout’ in DA has been peddled by the Climate Institute and other such lobby and opposition groups. At least DA wants to reduce the target from 25% to 5% by 2020 reduction in carbon pollution. Again, isn’t this an improvement? And as much as some might not like it, a government has to have an environment policy – that can be run by one small area in government (not the multitude of depts. in place at the moment).

Haha, the blogs dictate Government policy ?
    OK we’ll run with that.
    Results to date aren’t that flash though…..

Blogs do dictate policy more than you think, but the LNP seems to spend most of their time reading the Drum.

*sigh*

141. jumpnmcar

My piss weak effort to the local MP

George
    If this ” deficit levy ” happens you’ll be stabbing in the eye the very people that voted for you.
    And the ones that didn’t vote for you won’t pay it and still hate you.
    It’s suicide for LNP.
    Hope your one of the opponents of this.
    Thanks

Every litre bit helps.

I’m talking Ancient Greek, NI…not the current bastardised rubbish.

143. Perpetual Motion

Well said Motelier.

Ditch or delay NDIS, Gonski, PPL and Direct Action until the budget is in the black. No-one will care and Abbott might get a second term.

At the moment he’s right on track to be a one-term loser.

144. Gab

Why?

145. caveman

The deficit tax probably set up to discredit the MSM AlP Greens.. I’ll wait for part 4.

146. Motelier

In reference to my rant above, surely someone working for the minimum wage is more cost effective for the Federal Government coffers than that person being on the dole?

147. Natural Instinct

Sorry Calli, did not realise you were into necrophilia.

148. Dan

It’s pretty simple
    Direct action to change the worlds temperature- 3bn/yr
    Paid parental leave – 3bn/yr
    Abc,sbs- 1.5bn/yr (google 2JJ if you dare)
    This tax costing me $6000/ yr which I literally don’t have due to gearing for investments – raises 3bn/yr
    WTF??? How can anyone defend this? It is completely insane
    I have sent off a pile of emails but made a whole lot of calls during a long drive today (thanks, call connect) – oh they got a piece of my mind.

149. James B

Fraser was the worst sack of shit who has ever been a politician in this country. Yes, worse than Whitlam. Whitlam was upfront about being a massive big-government socialist, and was elected on that mandate (albeit thrown out quite quickly). Fraser was elected to clean up the mess, and did the exact opposite despite his historic chance to reform our economy.

I fucking hate that man. I hope he dies slowly.

Why?

Because in the final analysis, Gab, we all need clean air, fresh water, productive soils to grow food and last but not least access to the recreational bounty of nature. Duh!

151. Notafan

Surely Australia has an environment policy before DA came along. Any mention of the carbon word is a policy anathema.

152. Gab

We already have the EPA that regulates most of that plus other agencies such as Dept. Agriculture and NICNAS.

Sorry Calli, did not realise you were into necrophilia.

My natural instinct is to dislike you, but I’m sure you have some redeeming features.

Gab, you ask ‘Why?’

It’s to protect the environment from eebil builders like me from polluding the ‘viroment. Because we need to be edumacated not to chuck silt down the drains and dump asbestos.

All no-brainers.

At the moment he’s right on track to be a one-term loser.

155. jumpnmcar

I hope he dies slowly.

We’re all dying slowly so the above can’t be a death threat.

156. Dan

Happy to clean up the environment, right up to the front gate. You want to be a good little “grey soldier” be my guest but I’m not interested in paying you. Clean up day was a volunteer activity. 5% reduction in carbon pollution is not a good thing. It isn’t even a rounding error globally. There is no point to it at all.

Lastly the government does not need an environment department. It also doesn’t need:
    Abc
    SBS
    Departments of sport, arts, education, health, aged care, all related quangos, national professional registration,
    And I’m sure I’ve missed a few

157. Dan

PS just abolish environmental approvals altogether, that is what I call streamlined.

158. Notafan

We only have to get rid of DA to avoid a tax hike.
    I actually would pay a tax hike but DA is a complete waste of taxpayers money, if they are going to do stuff like put charcoal in abandoned coalmines.

They only have to keep stum and let the libs fall on their own swords.

160. Shelley

Why?

Seriously? It is about tangibly looking after the natural environment – keeping invasive weeds / feral pests out of national parks and from coastlines (which I assume are places you like to visit and spend time in), ensuring companies don’t dump their crap wherever, maintaining clean air. It is not about a carbon tax that goes toward behemoth public sector agencies to employ endless ‘policy officers’ to write endless screeds that never see the light of day. It is the practical aspect.

Good points, Gab (sorry, wasn’t following the thread – thought you were anti-environment!). Like most Australians I’m basically a pragmatist so as long as the ends are achieved let it be by the most efficient means possible.

162. Dan

Yes and none of that was possible until we had a federal government which spent billions of dollars running an environmental ministry and department?

One of the 3 actually necessary functions of government is provision of impartial courts. If you are so worried about your air go sue someone. Class action will do.

Mind you, the EPA and the various state bodies need reining in with common sense charters.

164. MT Isa Miner

James B

#1288000, posted on May 1, 2014 at 7:22 pm

Yeah, this is a sideline to the thread, but.hey. Mate, we’re all racist- naturally prefer our own race. Some of us are honest enough to admit it. Call it a shovel or a spade or a Bunnings digging tool, I don’t care, as long as we can call it as we see it.

I wouldn’t live in the “turd world” either. I want to live with people I can trust in a country I can trust. countless of my ancestors worked for freedom, prosperity and cultural bonds. Not just soldiers but everyday people. I owe them so I need to work for it too.

You are right in that one race- whites- is able to build civilisation that benefits all races and thinks that is good. But some races can’t/won’t play by our rules. What is to be done about it is a big problem for the USA and UK and some parts of Europe. Not that I want to pay for MPs to travel but they need to see reality in other countries not just hotel lobbies. Abbott/Morrison stopped the boats thank Christ. If we’re lucky Abbott will swerve away from the multiculti crap for all our sakes.

165. Shelley

Calli, just because you don’t do it, doesn’t mean others don’t.

They only have to keep stum and let the libs fall on their own swords.
    Oh, ye of little faith.
    Remember, egg_, politics is the art of the possible.

167. Gab

I’m pro conservation, Roger. Anything with ‘viroment in it usually means anti-fossil fuel and CO2 scaremongering and ridiculous green energy scams that suck up our money with nothing to show for it.

168. johanna

Umm, PPL has no effect on the Budget. It is to be funded by employers, which is also bad, but abolishing it will not affect the deficit.

If you are so worried about your air go sue someone. Class action will do.
    You aren’t worried about air, Dan?
    I’m asthmatic, so it’s quite important to me.
    Also, as a lawyer, I can assure you sometimes preventative laws are much, much more efficient at preserving the common good than litigation.

politics is the art of the possible.

Politics is the art of self interest.

171. Motelier

<blockquoteNot so, because the opposition under Shorten is so incompetent they can’t even peddle their lies convincingly.

They only have to keep stum and let the libs fall on their own swords.

The Liars will use every trick in the political play book to get back in. Just watch them stand in front any MSM camera, put their hand over their heart and say, “We are the party for the people and tell the truth”

Abbott has seriously misread the mood of the population on this.

Perhaps a tersely worded email to all LNP Queensland Senators pointing out what C Newman did in his first 12 months, and how the Qld electorate is now moving forward.

Hmmmmmmm most electors have really short memories.

172. MT Isa Miner

Gab

#1288038, posted on May 1, 2014 at 7:48 pm

Why?

EXACTLY, Gab. Someone should buy some red office stamps for Abbott: WHY and NO would do for starters.

173. Gab

Not entirely. $3bil is from taxpayers and the rest from 300 companies, as I understand it.

Calli, just because you don’t do it, doesn’t mean others don’t.

True, Shelley. But a whole government department won’t stop them either. Fly tipping is rife in my neck of the woods, and is controlled by switched on residents and local council (something they are actually good at).

Pasture weeds….dept of Primary Industry
    Forest degradation…forestry (state)

175. Dan

Fine Roger but what does this have to do with paying for a massive environmental department? Convene an expert panel, pass a law against some sort of pollution, someone complains, the police lay charges. Maybe I’m missing something.

176. Perpetual Motion

At the moment he’s right on track to be a one-term loser.

You know what? I’ve always been personally financially better off under Labor governments because of the industry I’m in. With Abbott now proving himself no better than Gillard, I’m quickly reaching the stage where I don’t care which party is in government. I won’t vote Labor, but I won’t vote LNP either. If that leads to a Labor government, I no longer care. I’ll just look out for number one.

IT is right. This country is fucked unless Abbott starts using the mandate we gave him.

177. Motelier

Well didn’t I screw that up!

178. lem

Just got home from work, couldn’t take in whole thread, but liking a lot of the audit especially ditch ppl, delay nbn and sack zillions of public servants (many of whom can live off their acquired fat stores -trust me I see these people CLINICALLY all day, average BMI 40- thus improving their health and reducing the need for expensive obesity surgery). Disliked, no HATED any reference to allowing states to raise income tax, but loved taking the dole away from the 22-30 yr Inner Fitzroy dwellers. except they should only get 3 months dole.

Maybe it is too mild a document, I will take a closer look and reserve the right to polemicise.

Abbott is still a dickhead, of course.

Good to hear, Gab. I’m a centre-right conservative who believes human interests and environmental protection can be balanced with a little bit of common sense. The Greens – correction: Watermelons (credit to James Delingpole) have hijacked the essentially consrevative and humane environmental movement with a view to undermining Western society and must be opposed vigorously.

180. Tekweni

Simplistic as it may be I am bloody glad I live In Oz today with all the shit going down rather than back in South Africa. I dislike the ALP and detest the green filth but it is so much better to live here. I’ll put up with whatever Abbott does-criticise yes-but thank God I am here.

Fine Roger but what does this have to do with paying for a massive environmental department? Yeah, sorry Dan – guilty of not reading the thread and jumping in after dinner and two glasses of red. I’m not in favour of bloated public service departments either – just what is necessary to enforce the law.

thank God I am here.
    That’s the spirit, Tekweni.
    Thankfulness to God is the fountain of life.
    Good night.

Umm, PPL has no effect on the Budget. It is to be funded by employers,

Hey, it’s magic money!

184. old bloke

Fraser should be forced to spend his last days living in Bankstown. There he’ll get to experience first-hand the wonderful benefits of multiculturalism that he bestowed on us.

185. Tekweni

Well actually I am agnostic. Just a figure of speech.

186. Andrew

Why are the traitors describing it as me “sharing” the burden? Can anyone actually identify a party who will be rendered worse off?
    - NBN kleptos will be allocated tens of billions of dollars to continue to corruptly plunder 60 years of wealth
    - pensioners will get CPI+2% locked in for at least the next 4 years, with the superindexation only being reviewed after the next election
    - the disabled get $25bn p.a. thrown at them in the biggest transfer the world has ever seen
    - the ABC gets to run its protected Marxist shelter and continue to undermine our society without any constraints at all
    - instead of being marched to gaol, Greens who stole what, $20bn? get to keep everything Gillard sent their way from the WBCT (which I’m still paying thanks to the SLF)
    - new mothers – have $50k you weren’t getting before thanks very much
    - farmers – just call it “Direct Action” or “soil sequestration” and there’s $3bn for you

Who the fuck are these mythical people “sharing” the burden with me? Some poor things have to pay $18 p.a. to go to the doc 3x, and anybody cheating on the DSP and so retarded that they can’t fool a doc who has never seen them before. So it’s me, and that guy from the Religion of Peace Riot that smashed up the cop car (and then lost his DSP) – you know, the Swedish bloke.

187. lem

Tekweni
    #1288091, posted on May 1, 2014 at 8:11 pm

I am sure it is also better living in Australia than say Stalinist Russia. That is not a justification for allowing our own home bred proto totalitarianist politicians to take control of our lives. They need to be kept in their place, and do what we tell them. Just because you’ve been brutalised in some other country doesn’t mean we should drop our standards.

We can make life even better for you, Tekweni.

188. jumpnmcar

Tekweni
    I know a couple of Venezuelans that agree with that.

189. Shelley

Pasture weeds….dept of Primary Industry
    Forest degradation…forestry (state)

Missing my point – I didn’t say we needed to be an environment department – I have argued against these huge departments over and over on this site, but we do need environmental policies/regs - they can sit anywhere like you have pointed out and yes communities are good at taking care of their own. The government provides the framework. Environment/conservation it is essentially the same thing. But it does need some overarching stewardship.

190. Dan

But it does need some overarching stewardship.

NOTHING needs overcharging stewardship except the defence forces and courtrooms.

Even most policing can be run at a local level.

191. Dan

Heh I meant overarching but that will do just as well!

Shelley, you and I are on the same page. I just have the shits…I will be a much more pleasant person tomorrow.

Someone, somewhere has to control/punish the cheap jerks that ruin things for others (and by doing so, undercut the market for responsible businesses). But why all the duplication, and triplication.

193. johanna

Gab, the PPL scheme is allegedly “fully funded” by a levy on employers, according to the Libs’ policy document here.

I’m not supporting the policy, but $3 billion (over how long?) added to the deficit sounds like propaganda to me.

194. Notafan

Nothing that is free is valued by the recipient as much as something they had to pay for. You think those free laptops would have been looked after like one that you saved up and paid for yourself?
    People won’t go to the doctor for every little twinge like they do now.
    I wonder how the Paris metro is coping with passenger volumes now it is free?

195. Notafan

Sorry Paris reference is wrong it was temporary, not permanent, shouldn’t watch news in Italian, obviously.

196. Grigory M

srr – the good thing is, you are not in the debtors prison – are you?

197. Splatacrobat

I sent a fizzer to Teresa Gambaro.
    Similar sentiments as others expressed.
    I have spoken to Gambaro on a number of occasions and she has been in my home so she should know that I am one mightily pissed off constituent.
    I said I will not vote Liberal and influence 5 other Liberal voters to do the same. Putting your hands in my pocket to fix Labor’s mess will consign you to a one term government. Even flagging such a proposal is a gross act of disloyalty and insulting towards those who thought the Liberal party stood for something and were going to cut the waste as the first step.

198. Gab

Thanks, Johanna. I thought it was co-funded: $3bil from the government and $2.5bil from companies via a “levy”.

199. Dan

shouldn’t watch news in Italian, obviously.

Are you crazy? The newsreaders are hot.

200. Splatacrobat

That may be so but isn’t the government an employer also? How many public servants will receive the PPL from the governments federal, state, and local and “fully funded” by us.

201. mundi

The report is so full of absolute trash.

Anyone read this part: “there are decreasing costs for each additional child as items purchased for a first child are passed on to siblings.”

Ok, that makes sense, except for multibirths – in which a family cannot benefit from items passed down… but they conclude that multiple birth allowance should be cut! That was the whole reason it existed in the first place, as the decreasing costs were not able to be realised by people who had twins/triplets.

The whole document is full of non-sense. For example it says to abolish FTB-B, not because its welfare that costs the government heaps, but because it might kinda of sort of maybe decrease women in the workplace. But then they say to subsidsise sole parents by the exact amount abolished….???

The gist of it seems to be that Abbot is abolishing FTB-B to save $5b, only to spend that $5b on paid parental leave.

So he will be cutting payments to some of the poorest families so that high flying women earning $150k can have 26 weeks paid leave.

I am sure that will go over well….

I fucking hate that man. I hope he dies slowly.

I listened to Fraser on Laws today and imo they are both already dead.

203. johanna

And it will not affect public service expenditure either, as they already get it.

204. mundi

Is anyone else VERY scared of the SUPER preservation age slippery slope?

Young people today will not be allowed to use their super until a few years before they drop dead, because the government will be to scared they will spend it all and end up on the pension.

The audit commission recommends the age at which you can take your own super increase to 57. Doesn’t matter how much you earned or how much super you have. Then the next government will increase it another year and another few years….

205. Grigory M

Me thinks ITs toilet at home is named ” hyperbowl “

IT is lucky he’s not in the US of A – otherwise he’d be spinning around anti-clockwise in the bowl, treading water and waiting for gravity to take effect ;)

206. Gab

Is that strictly correct given you pointed out to me that the public service entitlement is only 12 weeks at the moment. Under Abbott’s PPL I assume public servants will also get 24 weeks full pay, so where’s that money coming from? taxpayers.

207. Shelley

Calli, I think we all have the shits. I have the shits we are even in this position. Also I am trying to keep an open mind. If all of this comes to pass I will join in. I just refuse to believe that this government would even consider a deficit levy before making necessary and much talked about cuts – they couldn’t be that stupid. Not to be all Pollyanna about it, just knowing how the MSM twists things – and I haven’t actually heard (or even interpreted) anything Hockey/Cormann or Abbott have actually said to indicate they would do this.

208. mundi

Did anyone else notice that the audit commission recommends a staggering 75% Marginal tax rate for the dole!

What next? A 100% marginal tax rate?

209. Notafan

You can retire whenever you like, no-one that just puts the compulsory amounts into super is going to retire at 55 or 57 unless they plan to go on a pension as far as I can see, not if they are likely to live til they are 90, it would run out long before then.
    Super is just a vehicle that has some tax concessions. My extra money goes elsewhere.

210. mundi

Notfan, what if your income is really high but you plan to retire of a very low modest income? You could easily have enough to retire at 55 purely on super. But the government won’t let you, or believe you.

211. Perpetual Motion

I have a very high income. But I’ll be arranging things so that I bring income into this year, and then not have any dividends paid to me from my company for the duration of the deficit levy, so that I won’t ever pay a cent of it. I’ll just stockpile the cash in my company, and pay no extra tax.

Every private company owner who can, will likely do something similar and tax revenue will plummet next year. The only people who will pay this levy are wage earners. Most of whom voted for TA in 2013. Abbott is a cretin.

212. Notafan

Okay, though that seems an unlikely scenario, unless you were doing tree change thing;) although I know people who have retired before they reached 55 and lived off other savings til they could access super.

213. harrys on the boat

Tom mentioned him earlier, but where is Costello? Why hasn’t he come out calling this bullshit out?

214. Combine_Dave

It’s called denial. I felt at first that it was just bad media spin. Then the evidence mounted and after hearing Mathias Cormann (who has the coolest accent since Arnold Schwarznegger btw) on radio declaring that this was policy and the levy would ensure all would share in the burden of Labor’s waste I realised that the Liberals had f*cked us, quite literally pissing on the productive members of the public and declaring it rain.

215. No, Mundi, they will not be spending billions on PPL. As above, it will be funded by a tax on employers.

They will be spending billions on PPL; they’re raising taxes to cover it.
    That’s what they mean by ‘fully funded.’
    But they are also spending billions on the NDIS, direct action and plenty of other boondoggles.

216. Yohan

This sums up the issue, no leftist or progressive is going to be moved one cm by this. The LNP should have just cracked down on benefits and welfare, because that’s what is expected of them anyway. Instead they are also going to carry the cross of being a liars party, for no added political benefit.

217. iamok

Token you are spot on. Surely (don’t call me shirley) there is one f’n person in the coalition who can see this as all of us do. Just do it, if need be die for your principles rather than sook and woos your way to defeat.

218. johanna

Gab, sorry, you are correct, it will extend the payment period for some (not all) female public servants by 12 weeks from what they already have. My bad.

But as a manager, my experience that only the most financially desperate or fanatically ambitious wanted to come back after 3 months anyway.

In terms of workplace functioning, the worst thing is that you never know when new mothers are going to “exercise their right.” It’s a nightmare. Very often, when they did pop up in their two-year guaranteed position, they wanted part-time work. If that was not available, you were accused of discrimination and taken through the EEO hoops. Hundreds of wasted hours.

The stupid thing is, with a valued employee, something could usually be worked out. But this system means that drones and whingers can make an employer’s life a misery.

The damage done to the employment prospects of women aged 18-45 is incalculable, as employers soon worked out the odds and how to get around them.

219. iamok

I could and would defend this govt’s harsh calls to the leftards forever – IF they made them. What we see now is indefensible and is in fact contemptible. I await the budget with some little hope – but it is a fading hope.

220. A leftist friend of mine said on Tuesday that Abbotts introduction of a levy is just him trying to make it seem like he is being fair, when we ‘all know the liberals are for the big end of town’.

It’s more than that. His inner circle has a lot of progressives and they have been working on him for some time.
    These days he pretty much is a progressive apart from a couple of flag-bearing issues like the monarchy and same-sex marriage.

221. Gab

Yes, I do understand, Johanna having been a manager myself and responsible to/for over 100 women ( and a few good men).

222. Gab

True. Remember his position on PPL back in 2002 when he was Workplace Relations Minister?

Voluntary paid maternity leave, yes. Compulsory paid maternity leave, over this government’s dead body, frankly. It just won’t happen.

He certainly has changed.

223. Perpetual Motion

Tony Abbott is Wayne Swan with a blue tie.

224. dan

No, not just wage earners, hundreds of thousands of people who derive their income from “personal services” doctors being a major example aren’t allowed to defer that income under normal circumstances, it all has to be paid to the individual by year-end under anti-alienation provisions. You can tinker at the margins to shift costs in but even marginal shifting out of income out is iffy.

That said I would imagine that there are more complex ways of getting money out now and back later at normal (not deficit levy) rates, but for $5,000 it is just not worth it, the time and accounting expenses would be ridiculous. I’ve now called or emailed around 20 LNP politicians so I’ve done what I can do and will get on with life.

Tony Abbott is Wayne Swan with a blue tie.

Juliar has knitted a voodoo doll?

226. Rob MW

Western democracies all over the place are in financial/political unrest over what they were warned about by better Statesmen in at least the 1700’s. Politically speaking; for the purposes of getting votes, elected and re-elected, that once a Government starts giving handouts and creating an entrenched entitlement class that it then becomes impossible to claw-back the ‘Gifts’ that maintain office.

The political/financial problem becomes manifestly worse when the entitled class make up more than 50% of voters. So the politicians just keep giving out other people’s money and eventually the shit hits the fan and Governments become one term wonders because the other side simply gives more than the incumbent, and so it goes on.

The entitled class were never going to tolerate and claw-back of entitlements, no matter how small, which means that regardless of what promises politicians make or don’t make and change from the status-quo is impossible therefore we are all fucked in any event.

227. Grigory M