61.6%

This entry was posted in Cultural Issues, Open Forum. Bookmark the permalink.

410 Responses to 61.6%

1. Stimpson J. Cat

A lot of suicides averted today.

Great work Australia.

2. Snoopy

36,686 were apparently regarded as informal.

Yet again, let down by Ethnics who can’t even tick a box properly

Steady on. Don’t jump to conclusions. That could be the bi vote.

3. Michel Lasouris

feelthebern

#2553699, posted on November 15, 2017 at 11:17 am

So now what will they talk about on Q&A?
    I KNEW there was one upside!

4. gbees

Let the persecutions of Christians begin.

5. Snoopy

and Magda Whats her name to the altar, surely?

We’re gonna need a bigger altar.

6. The Deplorable Barking Toad

The head of the town council in Canberra has exploded in his jocks……..

“ACT Chief Minister Andrew Barr says Canberra’s “emphatic” yes vote for marriage equality will be celebrated in public art and a rainbow roundabout in the heart of the city.

Three in four Canberrans voted to legalise same-sex marriage.

Speaking at the Big Gay Out marriage equality picnic in Haig Park, Mr Barr said that overwhelming result gave the government “further ammunition” to roll out more social inclusion measures across the city.”

FFS!

7. Viva

Poor old Tony will have to attend one particular upcoming “wedding” with gritted teeth.

8. Stimpson J. Cat

That could be the bi vote.

No it’s definitely Ethnics.
    Bisexuals are to busy banging everybody to worry about getting married.
    Besides they could always get married if they wanted too.
    They don’t give a f$ck.

9. Michel Lasouris

“70% No in Watson.

Tony Burka has a problem on his hands placating those Muslim homophobes who keep him in the lifestyle to which he’s become accustomed.
    Couldn’t happen to a nicer bloke! Let’s hope that translates into votes in the next election, then the prick’s gorn!

10. Stimpson J. Cat

The results of this vote in the Labor Muslim areas have proved once and for all the importance of Open Borders.
    The Libertarians were right.

11. Rabz

I’ve just written a lengthy comment setting out my views on this issue but have decided not to post it as it’s way too strongly worded.

A landmark day in the inexcusable and irreversible decline of this country.

Absolutely fucking pathetic.

12. Seco

Look at how the “conservative” voices in the Liberal Party tried to prosecute the case against the entertainment at the NRL Grand Final. They were useless and looked like dills. We never stood a chance.

13. Rabz

monty lecturing people on exhibiting dignity – bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!

14. meher baba

As a strong libertarian, I have mixed feelings today. Of course I voted Yes, because I don’t believe in state interference in the activities of friends or strangers that have no impact on me. However, I would have greatly preferred a legislative change that would have taken the government out of the marriage process other than in the role of registrar. In my ideal world, marriages could be performed religiously or by civil celebrants, and registered in the same way that births and deaths are, but otherwise have no more legal force than a de facto relationship.

Anyway, the people have spoken and they appear to have spoken very loudly. Turnbull is not a popular PM, but perhaps (as I have always suspected) this is largely due to his poor performance and not so much due to his holding views that are too liberal for the Coalition support base.

The supporters of the No case tried to expand the issue beyond SSM into a wider range of issues that it hoped would attract support from social conservatives. What the results show is either that the population is generally less conservative on SSM than on other issues, or else that the conservative support base is weaker – and, in particular, less Anglo – than many would like to think. Andrews, Abetz and Bernadi among others talked loudly about the need to represent the views of their electors, but 57 per cent of Andrews’ electors voted Yes, as did even greater proportions of the Tasmanian and South Australian electorates, not to mention 75 per cent of voters in Tony Abbott’s seat. Three rural Queensland electorates had a majority no vote, but rural Queensland as a whole was more strongly for Yes than western Sydney.

Perhaps a vote on a single issue isn’t much of a guide, but one would be forgiven for concluding that the conservatives have been preaching to the wrong constituency and might want to turn more of their attention to newly-arrived migrants in western Sydney and outer suburban Melbourne.

15. Caveman

Govt saves some coin, now they get less benefits as a couple.

16. Viva

And so a new cult is emerging to upstage the Gaians.

The Rainbow in place of Green.

Love is Love in place of Save the Planet.

Marriage deniers (oh yes, that’s coming) in place of climate deniers

Dr Feelgood in place of Professor Doom

Enjoy

17. Gab

Remind me again, is this a non-binding vote?

18. classical_hero

My Federal seat in WA had the second highest percentage of no voters in the State. The electorate next to us had the highest vote percentage, s we are resistance central.

19. Viva

My Federal seat in WA had the second highest percentage of no voters in the State. The electorate next to us had the highest vote percentage. We are resistance central.

Greetings from Wentworth. No need to elaborate on where we are.

20. Remind me again, is this a non-binding vote?

It means Lyle Shelton has to be bound in the stocks in Federation Square.

Yet another libertarian unwittingly voting to extend the power of the state.

22. Stimpson J. Cat
    #2553958, posted on November 15, 2017 at 1:09 pm

36,686 were apparently regarded as informal.

Yet again, let down by Ethnics who can’t even tick a box properly.

I’m guessing about 36k people wrote “Fuck you assholes” (pun)

1930s Germans supported the Enabling Act. What could possibly go wrong?

24. meher baba
    #2554005, posted on November 15, 2017 at 1:39 pm

The least Anglo electorates voted NO. How do you square that circle?

25. Senile Old Guy

Remind me again, is this a non-binding vote?

Up to each MP to decide how they will vote. Some said before the vote they would ignore the outcome if it was “no”. Others said they would follow their electorate.

The take away for me is that support was well down from the claimed 75% in favour. And 60:40 is not, despite many claiming otherwise, “massive” support for SSM.

26. Cary

They don’t need to. Banks and Barton have substantial second and third generation Middle Eastern and Asian demographic, and voted No in clear majority. Bennelong voted no by small majority. It has significant conservative Asian enclave.

27. Gab

So given this wasn’t a referendum, can the Constitution really be changed?

Gab
    #2554028, posted on November 15, 2017 at 2:04 pm
    So given this wasn’t a referendum, can the Constitution really be changed?

Constitution No! Marriage Act only.

29. FelixKruell

Bruce:

So Turnbull is declaring manifest destiny with 62% saying yes to SSM in the postal poll but refuses to provide freedom of conscience provisions with 62% saying yes in a Newspoll question.

Sorry, but we can’t rely on the Newspoll. You will need to arrange another plebiscite to give all Australians a say on what religious protections (if any) should be granted.

30. Cary

For a confirmed bachelor C.L. has unusually strong pro-marriage views.

31. DB

The voting in high-Muslim electorates in Western Sydney makes for interesting reading.
    Tony Burke will be careful not to be seen skipping down the main street wearing a rainbow sash.

32. So 61% of voters think they have the right to change the millenia old cultures and religious edicts of Hindus, Aboriginies, Muslims, Jews, Shintoists, Buddhists…

The left finally have their proof that Australia IS a racist country.

33. So 61% of voters think they have the right to change the millenia old cultures and religious edicts of Hindus, Aboriginies, Muslims, J*ws, Shintoists, Buddhists…
    The left finally have their proof that Australia IS a racist country.

Cary
    #2554035, posted on November 15, 2017 at 2:12 pm
    For a confirmed bachelor C.L. has unusually strong pro-marriage views.

I respect my late parent’s views on marriage. I assume others do too.
    New age morality means nothing. Nihilism comes to mind.

35. meher baba

Baa Humbug: “The least Anglo electorates voted NO. How do you square that circle?”

You misunderstood my point. I’ll put it more simply.

I have read on this forum and in other places for some years now of the existence of a “fed up” old-fashioned Anglo-Australian conservative constituency that wants the Liberal Party to go way further to the right that where it is under Turnbull.

I have no doubt such a constituency exists, but it can hardly be said to have turned out to vote in substantial numbers on SSM: particularly when compared to a powerful, socially-conservative newly arrived migrant constituency in Sydney.

Perhaps this means that the old fashioned conservative constituency is far smaller than some have suggested, or simply that they didn’t care enough about SSM to come out and vote No. I’d be interested to hear what they think happened.

36. Rev. Archibald

Yet another libertarian unwittingly voting to extend the power of the state.

Librarians are extreme tards.
    It’s almost a sport to them.

37. John64

36,686 were apparently regarded as informal. I’m guessing about 36k people wrote “Fuck you assholes”

I don’t think so. The ABS would have definitely counted that as a YES vote, not informal.

38. Ivan Denisovich

The NO vote had plenty of opportunities to make arguments against SSM. They spent most of those opportunities fighting Safe Schools and other peripheral issues.

I also thought the “No” campaign was poor, Felix. “It’s okay to vote no” was ineffectual, almost apologetic. I wouldn’t be directing any business to the ad agency that come up with something so lame.

39. Ivan Denisovich

Dammit.

40. Ivan Denisovich

Yessers didn’t have to advertise. ABC, SBS, Ten, Nine, Seven, ABC radio etc etc etc.

You can add News.com.au to that list. It ran hard for the “Yes” campaign.

‘marriage equality’ is now unequal. They get to, others don’t. Change all marriage rules now. Who cares? What could go wrong?

42. gbees

And so the persecution of Christians will begin.

43. Makka

44. I voted Yes, because I don’t believe in state interference in the activities of friends or strangers that have no impact on me.

Two things. Firstly, you voted Yes which gives the state the power to redefine marriage, a prime example of state interference. Secondly, the state no where interfered in the activities of friends or strangers, it simply didn’t recognize a relationship between people of the same sex, marriage. Actually, three things, thirdly, your principle would proscribe the government from prohibiting pederasty, I assume, because the activity has no direct impact on you.

Msm showing a lot of interest in electorates where “No” was the majority.

46. Up The Workers!

Press reports of lengthy queues building up outside the Lakemba Musbyterian Church as the SSM crowd all attempt to take advantage of the generous offer of a Wedding Service together with one complimentary flying lesson, thrown in.

I know that “finking” ISN’T the A.L.P.’s strong point, but seriously, whoever suggested that SSM and Musbyterians were a compatible mix?

This WON’T have a happy ending.

47. meher baba

Makka: “You don’t have children in the Public system who will now be aggressively groomed into the queer world of deviant LGBTQI lifestyles on their journey to “gender is nothing but a mind set.” Your ridiculous libertarian position no doubt goes hand in hand with your attitude of “couldn’t give a fk about the nation” right along with open borders and mass immigration because liberty. Libertarians share many leftist traits. It’s why they are such great pals.”

What you say might apply to some libertarians, but I’m of the (rare) type who believes that border protection, defence and protection of public safety are among the very few areas in which it is legitimate for the state to intervene.

I am therefore strongly opposed to open borders and (where I see these measures as protecting public safety) am also more supportive of gun control and some forms of environmental controls than are most people who describe themselves as being “libertarian.” I’m also strongly opposed to any sort of ideological agenda – including gender fluidity – being pushed through public schools (or private schools for that matter, given the extent to which Australian private schools feed off the teat of taxpayer funding).

I’m sure that you won’t be surprised to hear that, although they seem reasonable to me, I haven’t met too many other people who share my political views: it seems rare that someone with views on economics, welfare, immigration and etc. that are as far to the right as mine also supports gun control and (I’d better whisper this softly on Cat Files) consider that the scientific evidence indicates that human-caused climate change might be real.

48. Rev. Archibald

This sentence is almost meaningless.
    Like much of the climate data.

49. Senile Old Guy

…consider that the scientific evidence indicates that human-caused climate change might be real.

Few dispute this. What they do dispute is that this change is large and likely to be harmful, when most of the scientific evidence is to the contrary.

50. David

The day the Marriage Act is amended to allow same sex marriage, as a minister of religion (Presbyterian) I will return my licence to perform marriages. I think in time many churches will simply opt out of the Marriage Act and device their own religious ceremonies for marriage.

51. Senile Old Guy

Bolt:

Journalists kept demanding Liberal MPs respect the will of their voters if those voters said yes to gay marriage.

In fact, the nine seats which voted most strongly against – in one case by 74 per cent – are all held by Labor MPs. The nine highest no-voting electorates: Jason Clare’s Blaxland (74%), Tony Burke’s Watson (70%), Chris Bowen’s McMahon (65%), Anne Stanley’s Werriwa (64%), Chris Hayes’ Fowler (64%), Julie Owens’ Parramatta (62%), Ed Husic’s Chifley (59%), Maria Vamvakinou’s Calwell (57%) and Linda Burney’s Barton (56%). So should these Labor MPs now vote for gay marriage, and where are the journalists attacking them for defying the will of their own voters? All of those electorates have large Muslim minorities. Here is Labor’s “progressive” elite being challenged by a deeply conservative, even reactionary, base.

52. Up The Workers!

How come the A.B.S. staff got the gig of conducting this poll?

Has the Government now formed the view that the A.E.C. is a bunch of partisan crooks who cannot be trusted to conduct an impartial poll these days?

The staff in both outfits are presumably members of the C.P.S.U., and therefore both are financially and politically affiliated with the rank & vile Australian LIARS’ Party, so neither Labor-affiliated organization makes even a token attempt at pretending impartiality.

Although it probably wouldn’t have made any difference this time around, as both Labor(sic) and Laboral Parties were pushing the same barrow and pumping the same tyres, maybe in future every second election, Referendum, Plebiscite and Poll should be conducted solely by Liberal Party paid staff (if they actually still have any) – just for fairness and balance?

53. Seco

So did Abbott stopping the boats mean the LBGTIQWERTY crowd got the votes? He really is a dill.

gbees
    #2554082, posted on November 15, 2017 at 2:54 pm
    And so the persecution of Christians will begin.

In 303, the Emperors Diocletian, Maximian, Galerius, and Constantius issued a series of edicts rescinding the legal rights of Christians and demanding that they comply with traditional Roman religious practices.

How come the A.B.S. staff got the gig of conducting this poll?

It was simply to do with the legality of the funding for the survey, utw.

56. FelixKruell

Up the Workers:

How come the A.B.S. staff got the gig of conducting this poll?

Because having the AEC do it would have required legislation, which wouldn’t have passed.

Instead they directed the ABS, which the High Court said was possible without new legislation.

As for the outcome, given it tracked a multitude of polls pretty accurately, I’d be very hesitant to accuse the ABS of rigging the process.

57. Louis

I think the MSM will stop focusing on those NO voting areas as soon as they are reminded that doing so would be Wacist. I expect the editorial directions will be sent out by the end of the day. e.g. only focus on those NO voting areas that are White and regional.

58. H B Bear

The ALPBC homo hoedown continues on The Green-Left Weekly Radio Hour (lunch time edition) formerly known as The World Today (unsurprisingly). Paraphrasing,

“And for a reaction from people in the street we now go to [generic co-op staff member] who is on the streets of Sydney’s Inner West at Five Dock …”

59. Makka

meher baba, no you aren’t special just quite full of smug shit and are happy to now see generations of our children groomed into the queerest of lifestyles.

60. Rockdoctor

Thought it would be a lot closer. That said there was no debate during the vote all I saw was Yes screaming down No voters in a largely ugly intolerant immature environment that made up my mind. If we can’t have a level headed reasonable discussion of the issue then we as a country are not ready or mature for this, hope Australians know what they have got themselves in for. All the ugliness that went with this is now about to come at you via everything else to do with it like safe schools, transgender toilets, religious institutions being forced to participate in heresy; all with the same intolerant tone. Hope I’m wrong but I don’t think I will be…

61. notafan

but not Punchbowl, Greenacre or Lakemba right?

62. classical_hero

Let’s not forget that a similar thing was tried in the USSR and the end result was not good for those destroying the family. I predict a similar situation will happen in the future. You can’t sin against nature and not be punished.

63. FelixKruell

Rockdoctor:

Clearly you haven’t read the comments above. Plenty of immature screaming about sodomy and fecal matter by No votes to Yes voters. Selective blindness on your part perhaps?

64. curious george

So is there some truth??? to what I read about females busting for anal sex?
    Apparently more blokes aren’t so in favour of it.

Why else would they have voted to normalise the abnormal you’d have to ask.
    Guilt?
    I was on the right track years ago when I suggested very seriously they be kept in the closet.

Looking forward to a good laugh at the spectacle of a homo “wedding”.
    Assuming you are allowed to laugh…

65. Rockdoctor

FelixKruell
    #2554227, posted on November 15, 2017 at 4:40 pm

Sorry disagree but nice try trolling…

66. curious george

Screw you d/h.
    Or you could advise on how to discuss/ consider sodomy/faecal matters in a mature fashion. Or do we just pretend it doesn’t matter and consign that to the “don’t want to know”.

67. Plenty of immature screaming about sodomy and fecal matter by No votes to Yes voters.

Where are the plenty examples of this?

Wifey told me they’re closing down Lyon Street this evening for expected celebrations. Where else.
    Love is Love.

69. FelixKruell

Dover and Rockdoctor:

A taste…

mh
    #2553928, posted on November 15, 2017 at 12:48 pm
    At last some good news for Mick Trumble.

A flurry of homosexual marriages in 2018 generating a sodomy driven economic stimulus.

Anal and innovative economy.

70. Rabz

Edited the comment so Sinc doesn’t deep six it:

OK – so let’s remind various imbeciles (and we know this country is full of them) of what the relevant issues are that are beloved federal government should be obsessing about:

• A crazed headlong rush to well over a trillion dollars in government debt
    • Massive ever expanding welfare outlays
    • Massive criminal waste of taxpayers’ money on indescribable idiocy such as mythical French submersibles, the National Brontosaurus Network and the frigging NDIS
    • Massive ever expanding and intrusive bureaucracy that is driving up the price of everything
    • A destroyed, dysfunctional national power grid – resulting in the most expensive and unreliable power in the “developed” world
    • Taxes at all-time highs
    • Crippling levels of red and green tape
    • Investment at an all-time low
    • Immigration at all-time highs, increasingly rendering our major cities unliveable cesspits and this country an increasingly balkanised nation of squabbling tribes
    • Most expensive housing in the world
    • Unrelenting attacks on free speech
    • Taxpayer funded media opposed to objective reporting, that is unrelentingly purveying fake news and quality j’ism
    • Illiteracy, innumeracy and ahistorical ignorance at all-time highs in the nation’s useless brainwashed yoof
    • Unimpeded union thuggery and criminality
    • A national legislature composed entirely of foreigners, whores and quislings, all of whom are on the take (while always mysteriously remaining “within the(ir) rules”)
    Etc, etc, etc.

But yeah – homo hoedowns.

If there was any justice in this world, every braindead politician that has ever allowed this disgraceful preposterous non-issue any oxygen whatsoever would suffer a mysterious fatal accident.

You evil inexcusable utterly irredeemable staggeringly incompetent and illegitimate deadshits.

71. Rockdoctor

FelixKruell
    #2554249, posted on November 15, 2017 at 4:55 pm

LOL comparing an anonymous blog to thuggish attacks on Legal Demonstrations like what happened on Sydney Uni or at a church in Brisbane. Sorry still disagree and you are clutching at straws. I like many who voted No have been had to be very careful in voicing my opinions, in a mature environment like when I was younger I could respectfully agree to disagree with someone. I saw precious little civil debate in the public & media sphere, as for the Cat well what you highlighted is fairly tame for what I have seen round here at times…

I don’t you missed much, Rabz.

73. FelixKruell

Rockdoctor:

There was bad behaviour on both sides. I’m not denying that. You seem to be though.

Whether the comments here are as bad as thuggish physical attacks isn’t quite the point – you talked about civil debates. Various people on both sides have been guilty of being uncivil, as my quote evidenced. Far worse can be found in the comments on The Australian or Bolt’s blog etc.

Don’t hold back, Squire. Tell us what you really think.

(FWIW, I do agree with you. Now the least relevant issue confronting the country has been sorted, can we get on with the REAL issues?)

75. Elizabeth (Lizzie) Beare

The 40%ers will not change what is in their hearts

Notafan nails it. There will always be ‘real marriage’ vs ‘homosexual marriage’ in the minds of the 40% and I’ll warrant in the thinking of many of the 61% too, who have responded to overwhelming persuasion to let ‘fairness’ into their vote, but who remain wedded as only a man and a woman can be, creating their own biological families, where children have both a mother and a father; terms we must fight for now as a new force for ‘genderless’ parenting has been introduced. In any form where we find ‘parent 1′ and parent 2’ on the listing, I suggest crossing these out and writing ‘mother’ and ‘father’. These are honourable terms, not to be denied.

The conservative task now is to keep all re-inventions of gender out of our schools . It should be explained to children that the process by which some children may have ‘two mums’ or ‘two dads’ is called adoption. It is pleasing that NSW has already hauled back on ‘Safe Schools’.

76. Stimpson J. Cat

Snoopy where are you?
    We need to start agitating for Cross-Species Marriage now while the Dildo is hot!
    It’s up to us!

77. Ubique

Will Malcolm Turnbull and the HRC hunt us down and prosecute us if invited to a same-sex wedding, and we fail to turn up?

78. Garry

Watching the politicians celebrate the homosexual marriage result reminded me of the way labor and the greens celebrated betraying the Australian electorate when the carbon tax passed. Can’t vote for any of the majors again. Never voted green anyway. Thank God for Cory and Pauline

79. Elizabeth (Lizzie) Beare

Me too, I don’t think it was rigged in the counting sense. I tipped 67% YES in the Cat Lotto, so not far off; the NO’s a little better than that in the event. Given the level of heavy social persuasion for YES in the media and all social institutions except a few religious ones, and appeals to ‘equality’ and ‘fairness’, however debatable and not really debated much at all, the result was quite predictable. The appeal was to Australian ‘egalitarianism’, the Anazac ethic of ‘fair go’ (even if the old diggers would turn in their graves about what it was being applied to). The job now is to contain the possible excesses, largely unconsidered, that the result may let loose.

80. Viva

I noticed that the No argument morphed from children’s rights to parental rights in the latter weeks. I wonder why.

81. Elizabeth (Lizzie) Beare

while the Dildo is hot!

Score 1, Stimpy; 0, Equal Love

82. struth

Just a bit busy at the moment to spend much time on the cat, so the point may have already been made.
    Or two points, actually.

If anyone believes the poll result wasn’t corrupted when our public service is fully bent to the left, and both the big two parties wanted it to be yes, you are quite frankly, a raving fucking idiot.

Second point.

At only 11 percent over the halfway mark, even if it wasn’t corrupt, the yes vote only got there on the indifference of those that didn’t vote, and the fear we all witnessed, even on this blog, of people pissing their panties that the government could tell who voted no.
    And that would have been quite a substantial amount.
    Nobody would have dared vote against Hitler if they had been given the option, and many a piss weak Australian would have abstained from fear of the Homonazis and this government.

What a sad and sorry shit hole we have now become.

Indeed. It’s a bit like how adults allow children to believe they really are super heroes and fairies.
    Gay ‘marriage’ will always be fake marriage. Nothing can change that.
    The other reason most people voted Yes was so that homosexuals would STFU.
    Noisy inevitable-ism has become a viable campaigning technique in the West. Just keep whining, threatening, bullying and vilifying and eventually publics will assent to what you want so that you’ll go away and leave them in peace. It’s adolescent harassment writ large.

84. Snoopy

It’s up to us!

Back off you pervert!

85. Oh come on

I was going to post something about the upcoming rash of media articles focusing on the ‘problematic No vote’ (how could 2 out of 5 Australians have voted No?!?11!), and what do I find as the lead article on the the ABC News app?

Same-sex marriage result: Don’t blame western Sydney for its No vote

LOL the rainbow coalition kicks in to protect its Islamic allies

86. Viva

IMO the “possible excess” has already occurred with this vote. The risk of this happening should have been have been contained years ago.

Even so the demand for homosexual “marriage” was probably inevitable following legalisation and the tendency for gays to pair up partly in the face of the AIDs threat, partly because they could openly cohabit.

87. Atoms for Peace

Heads up for those contemplating marrying their Beagle.
    Don’t expect a post coital cigarette; the smoking experiments are still a touchy subject.

88. Elizabeth (Lizzie) Beare

Surely these exist already? ‘Dearly beloved, we are gathered here together to join this man and this woman in Holy Matrimony, which is an honourable estate ….. ‘

Just do the signing not in the vestry but in a Registry Office, beforehand or afterwards.

If Churches reclaim marriage in this way perhaps it will put an end to some of the cringe worthy ‘vows’ that people currently devise for themselves as they marry on beaches and in parks; a Church wedding will increasingly come to be seen as a ‘real’ wedding. Quite a good thing, actually.

89. Stimpson J. Cat

Back off you pervert!

He ha ha ha ja ja!

90. Viva

Well I wondered whether the Yes percentage was slightly”adjusted” upwards to have a 6 in front of it (61.6%) while the No percentage was nudged slightly downwards so it had 3 in front in front of it (38.4%). Sounds so much more decisive that way doesn’t it.

91. Rockdoctor

FelixKruell
    #2554270, posted on November 15, 2017 at 5:16 pm

Sorry you are missing the point. You point out my reference to civil debate but back to my original statement I am not going to back away from the fact a large part of community have serious concerns about Safe Schools being taught to pre-pubescent children, men being allowed into ladies toilets/vice versa and churches being forced to marry SS couples that is already starting to happen overseas. I do not believe I am being melodramatic as we are already seeing elements of the Parliament dismissing protections in the Bill for so called people. Why not allow people to opt out, the Children when they get older will make up their own minds when they go out in the world.

I am not denying anything as we can go on all day about seeing moral equivalence of but the other side did it too, I agree till the point of the demonstrations and the downplaying of violent physical actions of the No side to shut down debate which is something we are increasingly seeing in all facets of public discourse if you don’t tow the narrated line. I didn’t see anything bigger than a random nutjob abusing a Yes supporter, certainly not orchestrated anyway. Something we do agree with is that there needs to be more reasoned discussion of things perhaps like we are doing…

92. Stimpson J. Cat

Yet across the gulf of Acronyms, minds that are to our minds as ours are to those of the geniuses that have perished, intellects gay and rainbow-colored and unsympathetic, regarded our Schools with envious eyes, and slowly and surely drew their plans against us.

93. Louis

Article in Fauxfacts already claiming the NO voting suburbs were targeted by the NO campaign and the poor immigrants didn’t really understand what it was about, even claimed they might not even understand what a survey was. So they didn’t choose to vote NO, they were confused or duped by evil NO campaigners.

Keysar Trad already warning there will be repercussions.

94. Elizabeth (Lizzie) Beare

Snorted ma tae over that one.
    You can always count on the Cat to see the silver lining.

95. zaphod

“We’ll all be rooned,” said Hanrahan
    In accents most forlorn
    Outside the church ere Mass began
    One frosty Sunday morn.
    The congregation stood about,
    Coat-collars to the ears,
    And talked of stock and crops and drought
    As it had done for years.

96. Elizabeth (Lizzie) Beare

(38.4%). Sounds so much more decisive that way doesn’t it.

I’m rounding it up to 40% in all discussions. Seems fair.

97. Elizabeth (Lizzie) Beare

So the Chinese population in Benelong voted NO.
    Come on Kristina, let’s hear it from you. Loud and clear now.

98. Ellen of Tasmania

Good on you, David.

I hope you have a large company of ministers joining you and that you are right about churches opting out of the Marriage Act. Surely we could get some sort of legal papers written up for truly Christian marriages, and a big leather book with parchment paper and silver clasp to (calligraphically) record marriages in? (May as well do it in style.)

99. Elizabeth (Lizzie) Beare

The Anglo-Celtic constituency are very susceptible to claims about ‘fairness’.

Turn that to other policies though and a very large contingent of working class Anglo-Celtics are hopping mad about what they see as ‘unfairness’ – in electricity pricing, in RET stupidity from the rich towards the poor, and the resultant full-time job losses for males in particular, and Muslim and other immigration inflicted on their suburbs not Point Piper. Let’s watch Hanson in the Qld election for an answer to your query.

100. Senile Old Guy

Brilliant Stimpy! (I have the original, and remastered, version of Jeff Wayne’s War of the Worlds.)

What the numbers confirm is that gay ‘marriage’ is whiter than the Osmond family.

102. Elizabeth (Lizzie) Beare

Finally I’ll be able to marry the beagle.
    I’ve already proposed to my poodle. He says he’ll think about it.

Attapuss, my ferociously male even though neutered cat, is already trying to have sex with my old fluffy grey dressing gown, grabbing it by the neck and humping it. I’m trying to keep the SSM news from him or he’ll claim his rights with me. He’s argumentative and will insist it works both ways.

I’ll tell him he can propose but I will dispose. He’ been to the vet once, which turned out badly for him, and there’s a euthanasia bill coming up.

103. Elizabeth (Lizzie) Beare

Brilliant Stimpy!

As ever. +1

104. Tracey

Has anyone seen an explanation of how the ABS are able to glean from our ‘anonymous’ bar-coded votes detailed stats on which age cohorts voted Yes or No/

Finally I’ll be able to marry the beagle.

My rainbow friend from today is already spoken for (the two of them often sit on my hand together).
    So I’ll have to wait for interspecies polygamy.

106. Viva

I’ll have to wait for interspecies polygamy.

Have you considered these alternatives Bruce?

Birds can come to you in many forms; in dreams, in visions, as an energetic presence, as people that carry their totem energy, and physically by coming into your life.

107. meher baba
    #2554050, posted on November 15, 2017 at 2:23 pm

Baa Humbug:

You misunderstood my point. I’ll put it more simply.

Well, that right there deserves a FUCK YOU MATE!
    So, FUCK YOU MATE!

108. Spring is coming

Tracey, Good question. Thoughts anyone?

109. Oh come on

So the Chinese population in Benelong voted NO.
    Come on Kristina, let’s hear it from you. Loud and clear now.

I noticed that, too, and thought something similar.

I really don’t reckon the ALP cares about the No vote. I figure they figure that very few who voted No will change their vote to or from Labor as a result of Labor’s pro-SSM policy. I suspect Labor’s probably right about that, too. I also have no doubt that if the No vote had have won the day today, the ALP would have legalised SSM as the very first piece of legislation it put to parliament once forming government, and probably would have accompanied it with an apology to the LGBTI community tossed in for good measure. (PM Shorten would have hoped this would give him a Rudd-length electoral honeymoon, the unimaginative dope he is.)

The only way the No vote could have possibly made SSM politically impossible is if it was so overwhelming and its support base so committed that both majors would have been too scared to go there. The furtive, hushed No campaign itself would have convinced Labor that there would be little political blowback in bucking the result even if that campaign had have achieved its objective. I think the No campaign would have needed to not only deliver Yesser numbers but also have been able to muster Yesser public fervour.

The voting papers were addressed to you by name.
    The completed vote was machine readable.
    As soon as they cross reference their database they have all that data.
    I don’t think they meant anonymous from the ABS, just anonymous to everyone else, same as the census “is”.

Tracey, Good question. Thoughts anyone?

Well, from the barcode they knew exactly who the voter was, where they lived, their age and any other information gleaned in the last census. They were also able to establish that one barcode, one vote.

After they recorded the vote, they collated statistical data and immediately erased the details of the source.

And I have a really nice bridge to sell youse, going cheap.

112. Tracey

Thanks to those who replied. I will admit that the night we completed our ‘votes’ here there was quite a bit of alcohol involved and we couldn’t remember whether the barcode was on both the envelope and the form or just on one of them.

I had to order a second set of voting papers, as mine appeared to be MIA. Turned out they had been sent to my PO Box in Sydney. Curiously, only the ATO is the only department that has my PO Box number. All the rest (few thankfully) have my street address.

I trust these jokers as far as I could kick them.

114. marcus classis

C.L.
    #2554352, posted on November 15, 2017 at 6:41 pm

Nailed it.

SSM = cultural imperialism by left wing white people.

What a nice standard answer to the Gaystapo.

Especially as, under their rules, you can be a blue-eyed blonde and claim to be black, and they have to believe you.

You’ve identified a nice wedge, CL.

115. WX

The primary lesson that needs to be acknowledged and analysed now, is that in terms of information warfare, the defenders have not even been called to the colours, let alone taken a position on the battle-space with a cogent strategy.

There are plenty of historical and present-day examples (to wit: Russian info-ops) that would help we, the keepers-of-the-gate, to understand the supreme importance of propaganda and information operations.

Are we willing to learn, or even capable of it?

116. candy

SSM = cultural imperialism by left wing white people.

Actually I would say cultural imperialism by left and also right wing white people.

More Liberals seats supported SSM than Labor according to the Daily Telegraph.

117. Jumpnmcar

I love the fact that the 9 electorates most opposed to SSM were ALP seats.
    Tony Burka and Christ Bowdown in the bottom 3.

Large Muslims concentrations seats hate gays and vote ALP,

Wish I did twitter now.

118. Fisky

James Paterson has simply exposed what we knew all along – there is no constituency for thread-the-needle “libertarianism”. It’s not based on a psychologically normal section of the population, but overwhelmingly consists of weirdos who think that a perfectly consistent abstract philosophy is a good way to run a country.

119. cynical1

Just heard it’s a great day.

“First the ‘Yes’ vote and now we’re going to the World Cup”.

Courtesy of some commentator.

Fucking Hell.

How did they fit an entire Continent in the closet.

120. nilk

The NO vote had plenty of opportunities to make arguments against SSM.

O rly? Had a chat to your GP lately? After the treatment of the doctor from Sydney on the TV ad for the no campaign, Dr. Pansy Lai, you wouldn’t find many professional people being brave enough to stick their heads above the parapet.

Some opportunties.

121. Felix Kruell

Nilk:

She had her say. And wasted it by not actually arguing against SSM. Which is kind if my point.

As for the response, that was received by people who spoke up on both sides.

122. cynical1

As for the response, that was received by people who spoke up on both sides.

Lying twat.

The intimidation was mostly from the “YES” side.

123. hzhousewife

Curiously, only the ATO is the only department that has my PO Box number.

Not any more !

124. Felix Kruell

Cynical:

Not so good with the logic? You said:

The intimidation was mostly from the “YES” side.

Meaning some intimidation was from the No side. Meaning intimidation was on both sides. Like I said.

And what’s with the personal abuse?

As far as intimidation goes, the largest vehicular bomb ever detonated in Australia is pretty hard to beat.

126. Ubique

Hopefully the result of the survey won’t escalate Australia as an ISIS target.

127. A taste…

So ‘plenty’ is about one or two comments referencing sodomy but no mention of fecal matter. But the latter seems to be a touchy subject and one that politicized homosexuality weaponized themselves.

128. What a surprise. It was just another classic IPA stunt:
    James Paterson drops plans to introduce alternative same-sex marriage bill.

This is a good thing. We need the Yes side to over-egg the pudding.

129. but overwhelmingly consists of weirdos who think that a perfectly consistent abstract philosophy

A perfectly consistent philosophy? On the one hand they decry government ‘regulating’* an institution, here marriage, and on the other they promote government redefining that institution. In what world is that consistent?

*The claim that the government regulates marriage is a gross exaggeration. All the government does is acknowledge marriage. To assert that the government ‘regulates’ marriage in the same or similar sense that it regulates other activities is absurd, or even that it does so in a way different from the common law, is absurd.

130. Fisky

There is that. There is also the “libertarian” movement supporting the mass importation of Muslim “refugees” in the name of small government. It’s an absurd movement. The hard, non-negotiable ideological points always seem to favour the Left, but everything else is up for grabs.

131. GD

One -way Street Alert
    Will we be able to run the vote again in future years?
    If not, then no repeat of the Republic vote either.

Given that the Muslim birthrate is higher in Australia than all other demographics combined, they’d better not wait too long to hold another vote.

132. GD

“70% No in Watson.

As long as his constituents keep drawing their welfare payments they won’t care what he votes for. Just keep Centrelink open. Inshallah!

133. 2dogs

Looking at the map of the SSM results, people seem to have had the wrong understanding of who would vote no. All of the National Party voting electorates in rural NSW voted yes.

The no voters were migrants.

While I voted yes, I recognise this as something I as part of a culture that supports SSM have imposed on upon Australians from other cultural backgrounds. I’d have preferred an option that gave all cultures autonomy.

134. Alfred

i voted yes to traditional marriage

135. Peter

The Lefties are now searching for hungry lions. The MCG has already been hired as a substitute Colosseum. Christians are being asked to report to gate 7 and to line up in an orderly fashion where cadres of the Left will be available to prod them into the stadium.

136. struth

If it can be proven by such statistics gleamed from the survey, as to who and where the vote per seat was No, and that REPRESENTATIVE politician still votes yes, we have a very big problem.
    They are representatives.
    Full Stop.

It is not for them to decide which way to vote.
    Their electorate has been shown to be against SSM and they must be made to represent the will of their electorate.
    Not the will of the party, or their own personal choice.

137. Rae

The ABS says it sent the survey form to each eligible persons address as shown on the Commonwealth Electoral Roll.

That’s the thing, Rae. The last Council elections had my home address on the roll. And…I had to get a postal vote, and the papers were sent to my home address which was the one that came up when I did the on-line enquiry.

It’s just an odd, and ultimately inconsequential, blip. I suspect there’s a little more data sharing about than we’re led to believe.

139. Ubique

Someone could have a nice little earner in “38 %” lapel badges.

140. We need the Yes side to over-egg the pudding.

In other words, their victory is already complete.

141. So all the Yessers need to do is not turn into Hitler and their victory will be complete.In other words, their victory is already complete.

Only if you imagine that ‘over-egg the pudding’ means nothing less than Hitler, dummy.

142. If you think you’re on a winner supporting (possibly mythical) homophobic bakers and florists, db, you’re a bit deluded.

143. The Deplorable Barking Toad

[email protected]:59am

My SSM ballot paper arrived at the residential address

Couple of days later the spouse’s arrived at the PO Box

Data sharing seems to come from AEC/ATO/MyGov/Medicare I suspect. Probably throw in Centrelink too.

Big Brother is watching.

144. If you think you’re on a winner supporting (possibly mythical) homophobic bakers and florists, db

Excellent, your lot are going to ‘over-egg the pudding’. BTW, the ‘possibly mythical’ allusion is curious. It’s the “It never happened and they deserved it” line, or Dreher’s Law of Merited Impossibility.

145. Enforcing anti-discrimination laws is perfectly normal, db. You don’t get to refuse to serve customers in your business based on your prejudices in this day and age. It’s quite simple.

(And yes Mr Whatabout, religions are different to businesses. That’s why churches don’t pay tax.)

This is not a hill you’re dying on any more. The hills are all lost for you. You’re in a ditch whinging about the room service.

146. Rae

My SSM ballot paper arrived at the residential address

Couple of days later the spouse’s arrived at the PO Box

Big Brother is watching.

ATO/MyGov/Medicare/Centrelink wouldn’t show the ABS who was on the electoral roll. You and calli could easily allay your suspicions by checking your details on the AEC website.

147. Felix Kruell

Dover:

Baa Humbug
    #2553582, posted on November 15, 2017 at 10:36 am
    Wow look at all those brave dykes and poo jabbers lining up in front of their local Mosques.

There’s your fecal matter. That’s three posts in one day…does that qualify as plenty yet?

148. Enforcing anti-discrimination laws is perfectly normal, db. You don’t get to refuse to serve customers in your business based on your prejudices in this day and age. It’s quite simple.

The relevant cases in the United States didn’t involve the refusal to simply serve gays, in both major instances their was a longstanding relationship, it involved the refusal to participate in a gay ‘wedding’. If people can’t simply refuse to participate in such instances then you’re arguing that they have no right to engage in public life .

149. Felix, you’ve only given two, not three, comments out of a thread containing over 400 comments. ‘Plenty’ was clearly an exaggeration.

150. mh

The voting paper instructions said ‘mark’ the box. However the ABS tv campaign told us to tick the box – clearly showing a tick. I put a cross on the postal vote form in the NO box, just as you would on any government form. I wonder if the ABS instructed their staff to count that as a YES?

151. Droog

Where was the informed public debate?
    Why no televised debate by the brightest and the best on both sides of the case?

All we got was partial journalism (mostly in favour or “yes”).

How did the media get away with keeping migrant, social conservatives off the screen / print?

Why did the “no” campaign not demand a national, publicly televised debate on what is the most significant social reform in decades? Might it have been that a well-reasoned case for “no” would have triumphed in a live debate?

152. Helen

I saw a tick and a cross in the ads, indicating either satisfactory.

Yes yes, quite simple… uhhh unless you happen to be Google, Facebook or Twitter and you don’t want to serve someone because of your prejudice about their freedom of speech and then it suddenly becomes complicated.

Like everything “Progressive”… it’s not really about fairness, it’s about power.

154. FelixKruell

Dover:

155. Aristogeiton

Dover is of course wrong. Libertarian catchetism demands that the defintion of marriage be “equalised” to encompass all possible unions of one or more persons, including non-human persons. Rev. Tim Wilson told me that it is so.

156. The BigBlueCat

m0nty
    #2555010, posted on November 16, 2017 at 10:19 am

They won’t be able to resist … they will turn into Hitler, just wait and see.

157. How about we put it this way – there have been about as many such comments on this thread as there have been victimised cake bakers and florists around the world because of their objection to SSM.

You’re routed. And you indicate in that last comment your actual disdain for liberty and conscience.

158. Libertarian catchetism demands that the defintion of marriage be “equalised” to encompass all possible unions of one or more persons, including non-human persons.

Well, you could have no in-principle objection to any such thing. And although you mockingly suggest this now you will earnestly argue just this in less than a generation.