Open Forum: December 30, 2017

2,542 Responses to Open Forum: December 30, 2017

1. urb

#2596957, posted on December 30, 2017 at 5:05 pm
    I remember when Kiwi’s knew their place.

On top of your missus.

i think you meant to say ‘ tell your missus to stop ringing me and to give me back my underpants’

2. Delta A

Money obtained by trading is just a way of measuring how good you are at predicting people.

Best Man enjoys (smallish-time) trading for precisely that reason.

His account is in my name for… well, for various reasons, but he’s happy to accept kudos for his successes in any name or account.

We never mention his (0ccasional) not-so-successful ventures.

3. cynical1

Wednesday on Fox News Channel’s “The Five,” former Obama State Department spokeswoman Marie Harf said the “strategy” that led ISIS’s defeat was “laid out during the Obama administration by military commanders.”

Has she forgotten already?

Yes, dear child, that was you and your magic man…

4. Delta A

We never mention his (0ccasional) not-so-successful ventures.

And he never mentions my stuff-ups.

That’s part of the reason that our marriage is nudging up to 50 years.

5. nemkat

OneWorldGovernment
    #2597045, posted on December 30, 2017 at 7:04 pm

With the greatest respect, and a check of the Sheffield Shield records, i have to call Bullshit on your claim.
    Eastwood and Thomas opened for Victoria in the NSW fixture at the MCG in both the 66/67 & 67/68 seasons.
    Bill Lawry was opening for the Test side in South Africa in 66/67, and in 67/68 he opened against India at the Gabba and scored 68.
    A great batsman.

Hyun is said to have concealed his occupation from Chinese police, which RFA’s sources deemed a fatal mistake because the Chinese might not have deported him if they knew he was a nuclear scientist.

A few hours after he was returned to North Korea on November 17 and was placed in solitary confinement by North Korea’s State Security Department pending interrogation, Hyun killed himself by drinking poison. This prevented the North Koreans from learning how he was able to escape the country, who helped him get away, and for that matter how he was able to smuggle poison into his cell.

How miserable is living under Socialism? I feel so incredibly sorry for those poor bastards.

7. Tintarella di Luna

Fergus
    #2596678, posted on December 30, 2017 at 12:00 pm

Sorry to hear you’re going through tough times, may it all work out well for you. WSC said when you’re going through hell keep going. I guess that’s all that can be done. Keep going. All the best to you.

8. John Constantine

Robots run the trading numbers now.

Weight of cash, speed of processing trades, cheap brokerage for mass numbers of single share trades intended to influence the market.

Ability to front run the widows and orphans super funds.

To compete against people means using the microcap low liquidity market, where algorithms can’t cope with the choppiness and inability to get out at will.

No robots, just rogues and human depravity down the bottom end.

Much easier to pick and stick with a small idea that might move right, and long term cap gains are better for the tax.

9. Top Ender

Automatic transmissions!

Used to be you checked them while engine hot and added fluid down the dipstick pipe.

Bloody Holden Cruze – have to remove a plug while engine running and stop adding fluid when it leaks out!

10. DrBeauGan

I think it is more common even here in Australia, than most people would admit to, Dr BeauGan.

You are probably right, MV. Thank heaven for the Çat. I wonder how long we’ll have it.

11. old bloke

cohenite
    #2597059, posted on December 30, 2017 at 7:17 pm

All terribly unsafe, not a bollard to be seen. I wonder how many infidels a jihadi could run down with a horse and dray.

12. cynical1

A woman dead after a head-on with a drug-addict, let off by judges.

That would be bad enough, C.L., but the addict also killed her parents in the same smash and left her sister in critical condition with horrific injuries.

Actually, I think you will find this happened twice over the holidays.

A/ The family of the “Home and Away” actress.
    B/ Brisbane mother and daughter killed by drug dealer who still had a warm crack pipe in the car.

13. OneWorldGovernment

nemkat
    #2597064, posted on December 30, 2017 at 7:26 pm

OneWorldGovernment
    #2597045, posted on December 30, 2017 at 7:04 pm

A great batsman.

So did Lawry play in a Shield match at the MCG in those 2 seasons?

14. H B Bear

Of all the weeds masquerading as food rocket is the worst. Tastes like a cat pissed on it.

Veganism can be cured by cooking bacon and then eating with and egg and bbq sauce in a squishy, lightly toasted white bun.

15. Oh come on

Remember the book Call Me Dave – a (very) unofficial biography of David Cameron? It claimed David Cameron ‘performed a sex act’ on a pig’s head positioned in the crotch of another man as his initiation to enter some faggy Ruling Class club at Oxford. Probably true.

This is the same bloke who, when opposition leader, started a creepy vlog called ‘Web Cameron’ (urgh) which featured Dave at home trying to act normal, dragging his young kids on etc. And in one, he described a Tory conference he’d recently attended where the following took place:

We had debates each day; should we ban advertising to children? Is it time to end cheap air travel? Are companies a force for good or not?

Seriously. Who now doubts this disgusting communist screwed a pig’s head?

16. Thank heaven for the Çat. I wonder how long we’ll have it.

I reckon about six to twelve months after the next election, regardless of who wins. Sites like the Cat won’t be banned. Minor changes to existing legislation like our anti-discrimination laws will be used to make running a site like this too fraught with the threat of lawfare to make it worthwhile.

17. cynical1

Seriously. Who now doubts this disgusting communist screwed a pig’s head?

Having a raving greenie wife is always a dead giveaway.

18. nemkat

So did Lawry play in a Shield match at the MCG in those 2 seasons?

Do your own research, bud.
    I’m calling bullshit, and all your other claims on the Cat are now under a cloud, too.

So true. The penny dreadfuls where dreams are made and sliced and diced.

20. OneWorldGovernment

nemkat
    #2597082, posted on December 30, 2017 at 7:49 pm

So did Lawry play in a Shield match at the MCG in those 2 seasons?

Do your own research, bud.

Way to go numbat.

And where did I claim he opened the batting?

The pom loves being the bottom to his master class. He loves it.

Does his finking for him while he just kicks back with another pint?

22. Elizabeth (Lizzie) Beare

Dr BG, no time to google at the mo, does this plus 500 work on a PC as well? I have an FX account.

At this rate you’ll either all be my new neighbours or you’ll be after JC’s balls for ruining you.
    Both are interesting scenarios.

Voyager of the Seas is sailing away tonight.

We sailed on her for our second circumnavigation of New Zealand. Nice Ship, had an $8M refurb in 2014.

Did Mummy ever leave her room?

24. OneWorldGovernment

It would be interesting to see an equivalent list for Australia.

Here’s How Much The US Would Save If Trump Cut Aid To Every Country That Voted ‘Nay’ On Jerusalem Move

Bitter crap – gotta douse it with ample salad dressing in airline meals.

26. DrBeauGan

Both are interesting scenarios.

No way will I move to Sinny. I’ve got standards. Little grey and shrivelled maybe, but standards.

The Ford Falcons’ Borg Warners were sealed.

28. nemkat

And where did I claim he opened the batting?

ahahahahaha maaaaaate,…you’re way out of your depth, andyou don’t even know it.
    Don’t let me stop you, though.
    Please carry on.

29. Geriatric Mayfly

Thank heaven for the Çat. I wonder how long we’ll have it.
    The Left’s disgraceful tactics shone during the SSM debate and it surprises me that part of the next election’s platform does not see the next push: to ape those catch-all Hate Laws so popular in progressive countries. The Greens would chisel them into tablets of stone if they were sufficiently draconian. The conjoined ALP/LP twins would aim to cast the dragnet as widely as possible. If they are made retrospective, there’s lots of Cats already in deep shit. Myself included.

30. Oh come on

Nemkat’s dream LNP conference.

31. 132andBush

Nemkat’s dream LNP conference.

Yeah, there’s something about the house isn’t there?

32. Geriatric Mayfly

Of all the weeds masquerading as food rocket is the worst.
    How could Chef promote and charge a ransom for his cuisine nouveau without a leaf of rocket placed just so?

33. OneWorldGovernment

nemkat
    #2597092, posted on December 30, 2017 at 7:58 pm

And where did I claim he opened the batting?

ahahahahaha maaaaaate,…you’re way out of your depth, andyou don’t even know it.
    Don’t let me stop you, though.
    Please carry on.

Of course I’m way out of my depth numbnut.

I don’t follow cricket and certainly haven’t bothered since walking out of the MCG that day, all those years ago.

But thanks for revealing your ‘gotcha’ style.

Are you a grigoorly sock?

34. Arky

Question:
    You know those little bush flies that persistently attack the corners of your eyes and you do the irritated spastic reflexive little shrug and dance and then accidently inhale it and you feel it buzzing in your sinus for a bit then desperately try to hack it up and snort and cough and carry on but it never comes out and you never see it again?
    What happens to them? Do they dissolve or make their way somewhere or if you dissect some old dudes face would you find a stack of them in there somewhere?

35. Elizabeth (Lizzie) Beare

We never mention his (0ccasional) not-so-successful ventures.

This is what wives do.
    We just trust that they are never going to bankrupt us.
    We might add not to scare us like that ever again though. 🙂

Slightly off topic, but just about every craft beer smells like cat’s piss.

What’s with that?

Time was when all the beer you could buy in Australia utilised Pride of Ringwood hops – good for bittering but no aroma to speak of. Then came imported beer and then craft beer in all their glorious variety. But now the latter all seem to use the same American hops that lend the beer a fruity flavour and an aroma of cat’s piss. I can’t get it passed my nose to my mouth.

Progress? I think not.

37. Mitch M.

Smith has an interesting technique of moving across in front of the stumps.

There was some research which made me wonder if that technique has value for batsmen because it allows the dominant eye to enable a focus on the centre of the retina. Not sure, have sent it to my nephew who after his residency in anesthetics is going into sp0rts medicine. Surprisingly he has found out that first time failure rate of the entrance exam is 80%!
    Hand and Eye Dominance in Sport: Are Cricket Batters Taught to Bat Back-to-Front?

I remember when Kiwi’s knew their place.

On top of your missus.

Jim Belushi: “Don’t you hate it when you’re hard at work and another guy is chasing your wife around the house with her panties on his head?”
    Reply: “Yeah, don’t you?”
    Jim Belushi: “Nah, I was the guy with the wife’s panties on my head…”

39. Rae

Did Mummy ever leave her room?

Your mummy? Don’t know. She was probably busy farting you out onto the floor of the coop.

40. The conjoined ALP/LP twins would aim to cast the dragnet as widely as possible.
    If they are made retrospective, there’s lots of Cats already in deep shit.

I wouldn’t lose any sleep over the retrospective angle, Mayfly. To date the internet has not given birth to any major resistance movement here in Oz, and the last thing the powers that be would want to do is to create a class of retrospective martyrs.

They will be aiming for future control, not past retribution.

41. Gab

Slightly off topic, but just about every craft beer smells like cat’s piss.

What’s with that?

You’ve been sniffing too much cat piss maybe?

42. Geriatric Mayfly

Looks like we have hit the Saturday nadir already.

43. Boambee John;

I remember as a kid, the Saturday postal delivery, and the postie doing his rounds on horseback at Sawtell, NSW.

Are you still in the area?

Up Barcaldine way, Qld. But still have lots of rels in the Sawtell/Boambee area.
    I can still see in my minds eye, the cousin Hulberts property where we occasionally played, and the old walkway over the swamp. Most of the topography is still there, but what used to be bushland is now housing.
    Some fun times…

44. Gab

Sorry, Mayfly. I’ll lift my game.

45. Elizabeth (Lizzie) Beare

You know those little bush flies

Some sort of midge got me like that at the Twin Peaks waterfall in ice and snow bound Seattle.
    I think it was seeking somewhere warm to live.
    They were probably a source of dietary protein to some local tribe.

46. Empire GTHO Phase III

Senator Lindsey Graham just confirmed the sketchy Steele Dossier was used to get the wiretap and surveillance warrant from the FISA court. Brian Kilmead understood what he was hearing was serious, but didn’t quite catch the specific gravity of it.

Bogart and Bacall discuss racing:

48. Geriatric Mayfly

Sorry, Mayfly. I’ll lift my game.

Heaven forfend. Not YOU Gab. Read that piece of bile at 8:14

Your mummy?

No, your mummy.
    If my mummy were in the room, there’d be an issue of the smell – she couldn’t stand it!

50. Rae

If my mummy were in the room, there’d be an issue of the smell

Pollard and bran are a potent mix.

I disagree, the cat’s piss weed is coriander leaves.

Good fresh rocket is peppery and should burn the tongue and make you cough a bit.

Both are fine on a sandwich, based on the traditional “more bread you have” algorithm.

Bacon and eggs is actual food that you want to eat (presuming you have a choice).

52. 132andBush

Watch out, Egg.
    He’s good.
    RUOK?

53. old bloke

Arky
    #2597101, posted on December 30, 2017 at 8:11 pm

Question:
    What happens to them?

Kiwis don’t know anything. If you swallow a fly, then you have to swallow a spider to catch it.

54. Gab

Read that piece of bile at 8:14

Oh. I scroll over anything scrawled by grigoryrae.

55. urb

Rae
    #2597119, posted on December 30, 2017 at 8:23 pm
    If my mummy were in the room, there’d be an issue of the smell

Pollard and bran are a potent mix.

Phrenologist!

Pollard and bran are a potent mix.

No, the formaldehyde that the skin suit is soaking in.

All rechargeable batteries are consumable components that become less effective as they chemically age and their ability to hold a charge diminishes. Time and the number of times a battery has been charged are not the only factors in this chemical aging process.

Device use also affects the performance of a battery over its lifespan. For example, leaving or charging a battery in a hot environment can cause a battery to age faster. These are characteristics of battery chemistry, common to lithium-ion batteries across the industry.

A chemically aged battery also becomes less capable of delivering peak energy loads, especially in a low state of charge, which may result in a device unexpectedly shutting itself down in some situations.

Musk should read something about how batteries work… he could learn a lot from Apple!!!

58. H B Bear

I disagree, the cat’s piss weed is coriander leaves.

I had convinced myself I didn’t like coriander but then started munching on heaps of banh mi rolls, one of the world’s great sandwiches. Not anymore.

Pretty sure that certain peoples’ taste senses actually react differently to it than others.

Your mummy?

No, your mummy.

Yo mama!

No Yo Mama!

60. Arky

Elders shates have doubled in the last year.
    Wish I had invested more than $1500.
    It’s times lije this being a cheap, miserable son of a bitch really hurt.

Sorry, I can resist anything except temptation.

62. H B Bear

Graegooglery, I hope you salted Mother well after Christmas lunch before putting her away again. You know she won’t be pleased with you if she decays during the year.

63. Elizabeth (Lizzie) Beare

Looks like we have hit the Saturday nadir already.

Golly, is it Saturday night? What am I doing home?
    Getting ready for tomorrow’s NYE dinner here, when we go into lockdown, that’s what.

It’s just like when they run the city to surf; you can only enter the Vaucluse/Watson’s Bay peninsula by flashing your drivers’ licence at the police barriers showing you live here. Our guests are either local or I pick them up from Edgecliff Station. As with the Sydney to Hobart on Boxing Day, the lower down streets for a km around tend to park out early as outsiders stake out spots on the clifftops from noon on. We don’t look down the harbor to the bridge, but across it. However we can easily walk up to some local secret viewing spots for a spectacular fireworks vista with any guests who are not satisfied with just seeing the glow from ours over the Neilson Park/Point Piper headlands.

Alternatively we can walk to the Watson’s Bay promenade and jostle with the crowd there for the famous view down to the bridge and opera house. I have a friend coming bringing her child because she is too scared to go with others to the central city these days, because splodies. The crowds at view spots around here I suspect will be much bigger than usual, especially with families, due to this feeling against the city forecourt.

64. vr

For those interested…UBER’s financials (behind paywall, I think)

Hey, I eat em too (mostly based on price) but don’t pretend it doesn’t smell like cat’s piss.

They do balance it out with plenty of jellified pork, chilli, fish sauce and MSG so it has all the appropriate food groups.

66. Rae

Your mummy is soaking in formaldehyde? I thought people were talking about some other marinade a couple of days ago. But maybe that was for turkey.

Did Mummy ever leave her room?

Perhaps, you wheeled her out on deck of a night, so long as her head didn’t fall off?

68. Jo Smyth

Just reading through the suggestions regarding my 10 year old vegetarian granddaughter. I might just tell her I’ll visit her in future until she gets over it and when she does she can resume her visits to our house and continue staying and eating us out of house and home.

69. Rae

Phrenologist!

Egg needs to take his lumps.

70. nemkat

Jo Smyth:
    find some meat the kid isn’t familiar with, tell her it’s vegetarian food, and leave it at that.
    Problemo solved.

71. Bruce in WA

Coriander is one of the gods’ foods! Anyone who says otherwise should forever be forced to eat overcooked mutton chops with plain boiled potatoes and mushy peas.

Coriander, tomato, red onion, salt and lemon juice is a match made in heaven!

Phrenologist!

“Sock” it to ’em!

Coriander is one of the gods’ foods!

Love it raw – “the friendly mint” or summut.

74. Rae

Mayfly, you seem to be a tad sensitive. Have you never seen a chook crap out an egg?

No formaldehyde smell there though. Maybe sulphur dioxide. Maybe the drop to the ground scrambled him a bit.

75. Arky

suggestions regarding my 10 year old vegetarian granddaughter.

She’s being stupid.
    Those animals would eat her in a heartbeat if our roles were reversed.
    The only reason we aren’t suffering under the tyranny of their blood stained hoofs is because we keep them disorganised and demoralised by eating them.

76. Marcus

I don’t know if it has any particular value or not. Ricky Ponting is the other one who did it to great effect and he scored runs like no one else for a good four, five years.

I suspect that it is the sort of technique which requires you to have truly exceptional hand/eye co-ordination, which is why Smith will probably fall away somewhat just like Ponting did in his last few years.

77. Delta A

Given the choice, I’d take overcooked mutton chops with plain boiled potatoes and mushy peas over coriander any day.

78. Delta A

With a dollop of gravy.

79. urb

nemkat
    #2597142, posted on December 30, 2017 at 8:48 pm
    Jo Smyth:
    Problemo solved.

chiko rolls are the the go then

80. Nick

Remember the good old days when Septimus used to have his Saturday Ishtar meltdowns ? Lol.

81. Gab

Coriander, tomato, red onion, salt and lemon juice is a match made in heaven

And throw in some fresh bocconcini to make even more yummy!

82. Nick

Night.
    See, even autocorrect is going Musli.

83. Oh come on

Grigory’s appalling ‘I know you are you said you are but what am I’ retorts have returned. They’re so lame.

Next the painfully bad nicknames will reappear.

Grigory must have been bullied viciously as a child.

Splendid entertainment, Humphrey at 8.36 pm.

85. Oh come on

Yeah coriander seems to have that effect on some people. They hate it on the first pass, go on hating it for years, not going near it the whole time, then suddenly a one-off encounter convinces them it’s not so bad after all.

86. Arky

I can’t eat anything with gravy.
    Because it’s called gravy.
    It should be called “grainy”, because it’s made from flour, but somewhere along the way the etymology got fucked up with “grave” and now it sounds like something that has leaked from a casket and I get that image in mind when it’s served.

87. Zatara

Partially true, in that the military knew exactly what needed to be done.

What Ms. Hart didn’t address is why Obama insisted in doing anything but.

88. Gab

My first trip to Thailand and I had never tasted coriander before. Hated it the first time but by the end of the trip, I loved it.

89. Delta A

Starting to get a bit of an idea of why your wife needs a holiday away from you, Arky.

And you need to finish off the shed before she gets back.

90. Delta A

Say it in Thai – น้ำที่หยดออกมาจากเนื้อ- and you’ll never think ‘grave-like’ again.

You’re welcome.

Mitch M.

#2597104, posted on December 30, 2017 at 8:12 pm

Smith has an interesting technique of moving across in front of the stumps.

The key thing is to have the ability to move to multiple positions in short order, which means you need to be balanced on both feet and weight towards the toes.
    In that respect Smith has it covered.
    OK, he looks very squared up at times and you’d think he’d be an LBW candidate and would struggle to score on the off side.
    The thing he has over the regular player is ability to adjust grip and … eye.
    FFS … the “purists” can find fault in the tecnique of Bradman and Viv Richards. What they forget is the incredible eye these players had.

The pom loves being the bottom to his master class. He loves it.

One of the things the British do best is lie about their shameful history of being f-cked over by everyone from the Vikings to the Normans and, more recently, the Arabs. They survived WWII solely because of the Americans; they were no match for the Germans. Not even close. Bottoms, indeed.

93. nemkat

What was Grigory’s humorous nickname for you, Oh come on?
    Don’t remind me now, it’ll be funnier if i remember it myself.

We sailed on her for our second circumnavigation of New Zealand.

Dumped a body overboard on the first?

95. Delta A

Hated it the first time but by the end of the trip, I loved it.

It was either that, or starve.

Thailand was my first major introduction to coriander, also. Sadly, I never got the hang of it.

And for all that my kids/grandkids consider themselves ‘foodies’, not one is a coriander fan.

96. Geriatric Mayfly

Fancying myself as an intern, I once operated on a chook which was egg bound. She died on the slab. Too much anaesthetic I think.

Splendid entertainment, Humphrey at 8.36 pm.

Will mummy be garnished with coriander next year?

98. urb

Leigh Lowe
    #2597164, posted on December 30, 2017 at 9:10 pm

he may have excellent hand eye coordination but his crack head fidgeting every ball is totally unnecessary and unwatchable. i wonder if he is is in the tourette spectrum?

99. Infidel Tiger

Technique is the most overrated thing in cricket. A good eye and a still head beats a glorious skyward pointing elbow any day.

100. Arky

Look, you lot, my missus does not need a holiday from me.
    I sent her off early to recon the joint while I finish up here.
    She is at the inlaws.
    I was looking forward to some relaxing Arky time.
    But it turns out relaxation is impossible in a universe created specifically to inconvenience and torment me.
    In short, it doesn’t matter where I go or what I do, there will be something planted there out to get me. You should all know this, as you are part of the same universe, and obviously in on it.

101. areff

Cumin. Some people eat it and they stink. Others don’t. Sweetheart of many years back was in the former category. Phew! Ms Pong

102. Delta A

Thanks for the larfs, Arky.

103. Mitch M.

?

No, again referring to my nephew who could have played at least State level if not for the demands of his profession: he told me that when he is batting he has learned to switch off concentration and pull it back immediately the bowler starts his run up. Very good idea because concentration can become fatigued.

104. Nick

Ms Pong

Ha, I know a Ms Pong.

105. P

Mike of Marion, Mater and Fergus. May God bless you and keep you ever in His loving care.
    You are occupying my thoughts as I have experienced my loved one go though chemo as well as radiotherapy. Improvement in this field of treatment continues and has had some great results of late.

On a lighter note I have to state here that my brother, two and a half years ago, diagnosed with pancreatic cancer had his pancreas totally removed, also his gall bladder, sternum and duodenum. He was 66yrs of age at the time. They couldn’t surgically remove all of the cancer in the small intestine so he had to have a short course of chemo.
    Two and a half years later he is now 69yrs and the latest tests show no cancer.
    He was very fit, had never smoked or drank. A teetotaller. A cyclist, who walked and swam every day.
    He of course today injects with insulin but drives his car, walks and swims daily.

Mike, Mater and Fergus, your contributions here have not gone forgotten and I believe many here are hoping and praying for you at this time.

My sympathies, Delta. Fresh coriander is one of the great foods. To die for in salads.

107. Snoopy

The Brits won the Battle of Britain with US pilots and US made fighter aircraft. Everyone knows this.

108. Delta A

I must admit, Tom, I’m tempted by Bruce in WA’s concoction, with Gab’s boccacini.

Might be time to give it another try.

109. Makka

Yes indeed. I think “solely” is wrong where primarily is more apt. The Brits had the wood on the Krauts technologically and ran rings around them on intel. They didn’t do a bad job on the seas as well. Survival without US (SR?) assistance would have been very problematic however.

110. candy

suggestions regarding my 10 year old vegetarian granddaughter.</em

My suggestion would be to praise her just a little for caring about our animal friends and taking a stand on an issue. that's a good thing.

And when she starts eating meat again which is almost inevitable never say "I told you so".

111. Delta A

That is, of course, ‘bocconcini’.

112. The Brits won the Battle of Britain with US pilots and US made fighter aircraft.

Nah, Snoopy – it was American radar what won the day. That and their Enigma decoders.

113. urb

Mitch M.
    #2597179, posted on December 30, 2017 at 9:21 pm

Mitch, his shuffling across the stumps isnt a major issue in his technique due to his elite hand eye. for now anyway. i am wondering what drives his tics between each ball? is this part of his between delivery relaxation process?

114. Boambee John

Of all the weeds masquerading as food rocket is the worst.

A local club raises the “standard” of its meals by spelling in “rocquet”.

Infidel Tiger

#2597175, posted on December 30, 2017 at 9:17 pm

Damn straight.
    That’s why they keep picking the likes of Marsh x 2 and the Paki.
    They come out and play 5 textbook defensive strokes and two glorious cover drives then lose their off stump or get hit in the shins plumb in front.
    No-one can figure out why they look so good then suddenly get out. Truth is, they just fail to pick subtle pace changes or slight movement off the track.
    The two main attributes are a good eye, still head and fast hands.

That would be three attributes ..

117. candy

Wouldn’t the high elbow make for better defence by the batsman as it steers the bat in the best position? it looks as if it would, besides being artistically nice. Cricket is a tremendous game for style, you know, a beautiful catch of a ball hit really really high in the air. Quite neat and lovely. Dropping it – not so much.

118. Boambee John

Winston at 2016

A local street is Hulberts Road.

119. Arky

I have been a bit obsessed by Sonny Liston since I read a biography a few years ago.
    Here is a pretty interesting doco on him.

120. H B Bear

A local club raises the “standard” of its meals by spelling in “rocquet”.

That doesn’t help. Some of those poofter lettuces aren’t too good either.

While on the subject of the Brits, I’ve been watching The Crown and there was an episode primarily focusing on Eddie the abdicator. If the re-telling is true, Eddie was an outright Nazi with strong sympathies for Hitler. Also, prior to hooking up with Eddie, Wallace was bonking the Kraut ambassador to the UK – von Ribbentrop. Both of them should have been hung for treason after the war.

122. max

If we’re talking tics, Raffa Nadal has to take the gold. He is unbelievable. It’s a form of tourettes.

RUOK?

AOK thanks, 132.
    It’s Grig’s mental ‘elf which is of concern, a tad touchy tonight it would seem.

124. overburdened

when following the reports on anti-religious protests in Iran (obviously good) and the current war against religion in Oz (obviously bad), I’m reminded of my mum more than once whining about indigs being dog in the manger and bagging Asian boat people at the same time. I blame some of the antipathy to the old man. When I suggested that she can’t have it both ways she told me to get fucked. She was a special woman.

125. Mitch M.

Exactly. Not tics, those are involuntary movements. I think it is a developed habit that allows him to switch focus. Many top players have outstanding hand eye, they wouldn’t get to the top without it so I’m not confident it is purely his hand-eye skills. Nonetheless that can be trained. As an optometrist once told me: competition shooters increase visual acuity over time. That is probably cerebral, not in the eye because several years ago a study from Uni of Q found increased regional size in the visual cortices(can’t recall exact location) of those with slight myopia who had abandoned their glasses with no change in accommodation.

126. Mitch M.

It’s a form of tourettes.

Stop using psychiatric terms to describe these behaviors. If it were true Tourettes he would display the tics all the time.

127. Empire GTHO Phase III

Interesting study. I’ve been thinking about this because my kid seems uncertain about which stance to adopt for striking activities.

Old mate and I spent an hour in the nets at the local earlier this week. I hadn’t touched a bat for about five years. I batted left handed and was surprised how natural it felt, especially front foot play. I was only facing nude spin, but walked away wishing I had batted reverse stance as a kid.

I might have a crack with the golf club next. Thing is, I’ve always shot longarms left handed and handguns right handed.

128. sdfc

Technique is the most overrated thing in cricket.

Smith is an exceptional bat but if my boy starting batting like that I’d tell him to cut it out. It’s not for mere mortals.

129. Knuckle Dragger

CL at 9.11;

Yep. The Poms like to boast that they haven’t been invaded for 1000 years, but that is of course crap. Various pretenders and a Dutchman called William of Orange have been using English beaches as their own since the 1200s.

If they didn’t have a half decent navy since the mid 16th century they’d be the modern equivalent of Iceland.

I’m not necessarily anti-Pom but their superiority complex was breathtaking. When Churchill decided it would be a good idea to have a crack at the Dardanelles he imagined partly clothed savages running away from Redcoats with rifles, as he witnessed in the Sudan and Boer War. What he got was an outnumbering force, who made excellent use of their own terrain, trained by Germans and of a dynasty going back centuries.

130. dopey

What my gran taught me.
    Keep your left elbow up.
    Don’t nibble outside the off-stump.

131. Makka

Nah, Snoopy – it was American radar what won the day

It was a Brit that actually won the battle of the beams; R.V.Jones

132. H B Bear

If we’re talking tics, Raffa Nadal has to take the gold. He is unbelievable.

Sergio Garcia at his worst would go close. I went up to Karrinyup golf club when one of the internationals was on and he was unwatchable. Must be a Spanish thing.

133. Mater

Thing is, I’ve always shot longarms left handed and handguns right handed.

Which of your eyes is dominant, Empire?

134. Makka

Both of them should have been hung for treason after the war.

In Hitler’s early days he had a good deal of support in Britain’s landed gentry class.

135. Oh come on

Makka
    #2597217, posted on December 30, 2017 at 10:12 pm
    Both of them should have been hung for treason after the war.

Makka, please. You’ll set off Pest Tatters.

136. urb

Mitch M.
    #2597207, posted on December 30, 2017 at 10:00 pm

Thanks Mitch

137. Marty

Re #2597211, posted on December 30, 2017 at 10:03 pm

What a crock!

Who were the partly clothed savages running away from Redcoats with rifles that Churchill witnessed in the Boer War?

138. Oh come on

We’ll soon have endless posts about how Menzies plotted to hand the continent over to imperial Japan, abetted by rogue UAP brownshirts in WA.

139. jupes

Or maybe he thought that opening another front in Turkey would break the stalemate on the Western Front and if it went well they would link up with the Russians.

(Here we go, another Churchill thread. Haven’t had one for a while.)

Whatever you do, don’t mention Dresden, jupes.

Oops! 😬

141. Mater

Which of your eyes is dominant, Empire?

Keep both eyes open, hold an index finger up at arms reach, hold the other index finger up half way between, line them up (with both eyes still open – much like sighting a rifle). Close one eye, then the other. The eye which naturally lined up with the two fingers is your dominate eye.
    You should be shooting on that side for maximum accuracy.

142. Mitch M.

Difficult call. He may not be a mere mortal and using that technique from an early age may provide advantages because both eyes are facing front. However he would need to practice that stance consistently in order for all that clever neural jazz to become consolidated in the ensuing decades.

OK.
    A good batting technique is important.
    But it is only any good if accompanied by a good eye and better decision making.
    Technique without the other two attributes is worthless.

144. Mitch M.

And the Norway campaign. Another Churchill disaster.

145. Makka

(Here we go, another Churchill thread. Haven’t had one for a while.)

Can’t worse than this cricket bilge, surely.

146. Tekweni

I shoot left handed and I am right handed. Got a crack over the right eye as a kid which did a bit of damage. A hassle shooting a bolt action or cocking a SLR. Legs wrong way to all the right hand shooters on a range. No choice if I wanted to hit the target.

147. Makka

And the Norway campaign. Another Churchill disaster.

How many divisions did the Germans tie up expecting Norway to be invaded?

148. Oh come on

I’ve read that the treatment of Harold Macmillan is ahistorical in The Crown, can’t say anything about Mr and Mrs Windsor.

149. Marty

And the Norway campaign. Another Churchill disaster.
    Coming out on the winning side of WW2 was quite good though.

150. Empire GTHO Phase III

Which of your eyes is dominant, Empire?

No obvious dominance, as evidenced by the batting experiment, though left does feel more natural for sighting anything one eyed. The left finger just feels right on a longarm trigger. I can fire a rifle from a rest right handed, but it feels awkward. Freehand shotgun is strictly LH.

151. nemkat

Invasion of Greece.
    Another Churchill disaster. We lost a fair few blokes, and since it was an illegal invasion, the Germans could have shot anyone captured, as partisans.

Wow!
    That little test is amazing Mater.
    I fully expected an equal shift of perspective by changing eyes.
    I think the expression “still head” in cricket really means keeping both eyes in a horizontal plane. That is how we spend 99.5% of our lives perceiving the world. Any upset of the gyros at critical times is going to lead to misjudgment.

153. Empire GTHO Phase III

Just read your tip, Mater. Def left eye dominant on that test.

154. Mater

Just read your tip, Mater. Def left eye dominant on that test

I’ve watched people trying to be trained as Snipers who are right handed but left eye dominant. They try to lean over the rifle and use the left eye to look down the scope.
    A lost cause – go man the Machine Gun!

155. Mitch M.

Keep in mind that batting technique standards are very old. The point of that paper I linked to is to demonstrate it may well be wrong. There was a time in tennis when the double handed backhand was considered bad technique but it clearly works for some players.

156. Empire GTHO Phase III

A hassle shooting a bolt action or cocking a SLR

There’s also the small matter of one’s face being in the wrong place if a cartridge fails and ejecting hot brass from a right side port.

It’s a bummer that many desirable rifles aren’t available with LH action.

157. Arky

A lost cause – go man the Machine Gun!

Oh great.
    Fantastic.
    Something else I just found out I’m shit at.
    Thank you Mater.
    Thank you sooo much.

158. Arky

Right handed, left eye dominant.
    So much explained in such a small experiment.

159. Arky

I can still shoot better than most of you pricks.
    I’m going to go look for my logbook now.

160. It was a Brit that actually won the battle of the beams; R.V.Jones

Sorry Makka, I honestly didn’t think I’d need a sarc tag.

161. BrettW

Greece invasion was illegal ? Would that be the one by the Italians in 1940 or the Germans subsequently or are the Brits the only naughty ones ?

Perhaps Nemkat can tell us if any were shot as partisans.

162. OneWorldGovernment

If you haven’t seen it before there is an interesting article and pod cast interview with former Navy Seal Jonathan Gilliam on changes to Rules of Engagement in Afghanistan since Trump.

163. thefrolickingmole

Just did the eye test, neither line up perfectly but the right eye is a little closer.

Let me guess bayonet duty???

164. urb

as a direct paternal descendant of Major George Johnston, what can anyone tell me about the rum rebellion?

165. nilk

Which of your eyes is dominant, Empire?

You should be shooting on that side for maximum accuracy.

I’m right-handed, but eat left-handed and my eyes are cross-dominant. That means I can’t play pool unless I’ve got my left eye closed. Or I’m drunk as a skunk. 🙂

166. DrBeauGan

I can’t line up the two fingers. If I’m looking at the far finger I see two of the closer one. And if I look at the closer one I see two of the farther one.

Maybe it’s my fat fingers.

167. Tekweni

My old man was Empire Champion minature rifle shooting in 1939. That’s .22. Set my brother and I some high standards. We both achieved marksman in the SADF. He at least shot right handed. We used to set the old man challenges. He had this .22 Mauser which was presented to him. At 25 yard we would setup a pea tin, one that the entire label was images of peas. We would mark one. He would take a shot and then our challenge was to find the marked pea. Never could as it was the one with a hole in it. We would also stick a matchstick in one of the farm fence posts. At 25 yards he would take the head off it.

His nickname when he flew Spitfires in the SAAF was Hawkeye. Rhymes with our surname. Going out on guinea fowl shoots with him was an experience. He had all the deflection worked out. Bit unfair for them!

168. sdfc

Mitch

The authors of that paper don’t seem to realise that most kids that pick up a bat adopt a left or right stance naturally. The paper doesn’t seem to say anything about technique.

169. Mater

I can’t line up the two fingers

Dr BG
    OK. Identify a single point on the other side of the room.
    Keep both eyes open and point at it as though you were going to push it with your finger – focusing on your finger tip.
    Alternate closing your eyes and see which one lines up.

170. Makka

Sorry Makka, I honestly didn’t think I’d need a sarc tag.

Oops!

171. thefrolickingmole

Zuckerberg being mercilessly mocked.

When PR to make you more “personable” goes terribly wrong.

172. DrBeauGan

Dr BG
    OK. Identify a single point on the other side of the room.
    Alternate closing your eyes and see which one lines up.

Neither of them, mater. One on each side.

173. DrBeauGan

And if I focus on my finger tip, there are two points.

174. Mater

Remembering you’ll always get two images, but you’re trying to find the one you naturally gravitate to.
    If the test still doesn’t work for you, try doing it again but quickly focus back and forth between the near and far points, several times , whilst adjusting. One side will win out.

Use a gun in both hands at the same time. That’ll shut the fuckers up.

176. Elizabeth (Lizzie) Beare

I’m left handed, but by Mater’s test I’m very right eye very dominant.
    An added extra is that my right eye has more myopic vision than my left eye does.
    This may explain why I can only win at pool when three sheets to the wind and not wearing glasses.

I do need glasses for myopia when driving. Policeman said so when he breath tested me yesterday and I passed. Luckily I had on my prescription sunnies. I took them off to bat my eyes at him and smile.
    Flirt wherever possible; my philosophy.

I don’t really need reading glasses yet. This makes me chief menu reader for many when we are out dining. Surprising the number of people who forget their glasses.
    Legally blind, they are, I tell them nicely.

177. Empire GTHO Phase III

The tax game is now afoot. The big loser will be Europe because they are far more entangled with the socialist agenda than anyone else with New Zealand and Australia fighting for second place in the uncompetitive tax burden race to the top.

178. Mater

I’m left handed, but by Mater’s test I’m very right eye very dominant.

Lizzie,
    That just means you’d need to shoot right handed (especially if using a scope).
    I’ve always suspected that you were one eyed dominant Righty! 😉

There are shooting glasses with the lenses divided into a prism like a fly’s eye. They will correct for a discordancy between dominant hand and eye.

180. Mater

Use a gun in both hands at the same time. That’ll shut the fuckers up.

181. Mitch M.

So puzzling yet the results are consistent. Our brains make up the world we experience and do it with remarkable accuracy.

182. Elizabeth (Lizzie) Beare

So I’m not just imagining the pool thing. Nilk has it too!

183. DrBeauGan

I can ignore either image, but unless I make a conscious choice of which one to ignore, I always see both. I think I need to follow Cohenite’s advice and use two guns. One eye on each scope.

DrBeauGan

#2597252, posted on December 30, 2017 at 10:53 pm

Maybe it’s my fat fingers.

Put the wine glass down and try again.

185. zyconoclast

egg_
    #2596879, posted on December 30, 2017 at 3:37 pm
    Brief musical interlude

This is another song called <a href="[youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_aC5xPQ2f4&w=560&h=315%5D“>Closer which I think is also very good.
    That man Ne-Yo can really dance.

186. DrBeauGan

Mitch, am I supposed to see the tbird square along in the top surface,, third column, as a different colour from the free tile in front? They look an identical shade of brown to me.

187. zyconoclast

What a champion.

Very good at facing pie throwers.

He is facing the same pie throwers everyone else is.
    They are not scoring hundreds at the same rate.
    He is sensational.

Fact check: True.

188. Confused Old Misfit

I’m so boring. Right eye dominant, right handed bat, right handed Cross Rifles & Crown shooter, right handed writer, etc., etc. The only place I was ever ambidextrous was on a basketball court. I could hit a turn-around jumpshot from the head of the key 8 for ten right handed and 6 for ten as a lefty, finger layups out of either hand.
    Those were the days!

189. Mater

Dr BG,
    I won’t harp on all night…I promise. Try this one last method.

Keeping both eye open, throw your arm straight out and point instinctively at a single point across the room. Don’t adjust your arm or finger, at all. Now check which eye most closely aims at the point.

190. zyconoclast

I posted this last month. Glad someone read it.

191. Elizabeth (Lizzie) Beare

Hairy just scrabbling in my wallet for my Qantas frequent flyer number. He’s booking us out of Nairobi to London next September. Desist, I say, it is not there. Of course it is, he says dismissively, pulling a multitude of cards out and ruining my filing system. It’s with my passport, I protest, getting the zip wallet from my study and producing the card. I win, impressing him with my organized system. You still lost da beans, he counters back. The beans?? Yes, the cooked beans you took out of da fridge to put in da salad. These were the ones he found in Santa’s grotto, where I had momentarily taken a rest in Santa’s chair.

So you’re a bean counter now? I comment sweetly.
    He is contemptuous of bean counters when they get in his way.
    For every bean dere is a season, he quotes at me. I can’t win.

Nairobi exit is locked in, he comes by to announce, and we won 6 nil, how good is dat?
    I decide I don’t have to win. He’s fine just as he is. 🙂

Time for bed, beauty sleep for tomorrow night.

192. DrBeauGan

I just did it twice, Mater. The result was that neither single eye was right, one came to pointing one side, the other the other side. I seem to take an average of two views when I hurry.

193. jupes

We lost a fair few blokes, and since it was an illegal invasion,

Every invasion is illegal you fucking numpty.

194. Mater

Dr BG,
    A very small number of people have no dominance.
    You are lucky…truely ambidextrous!

195. Hairy just scrabbling in my wallet for my Qantas frequent flyer number.

Short of a life threatening situation, if I ever, ever went rummaging through Mrs MV’s purse, it would be a divorce precursor. Ditto Mrs MV and my wallet. We even have joint bank accounts, but some things are simply private. Not secret, just private.

196. Steve trickler.

Mike of Marion, Mater and another bloke called Fergus.

Stay strong fellas.

197. Steve trickler.

zyconoclast
    #2597272, posted on December 30, 2017 at 11:40 pm

That Ne-Yo – Closer clip! It’s horrible.

Awful muck.

With that said, have a happy 2018.

198. DrBeauGan

I used to be literally ambidextrous as a child but was ordered to prefer my right hand in writing and other things so my left hand usage fell away, Mater. Maybe there’s a connection.

199. Stimpson J. Cat

Of all the weeds masquerading as food rocket is the worst.

Rocket is fantastic.
    I love pushing it around my plate and telling people I’m a scientist.

200. sdfc

I can drink and smoke with either hand. I’m a shit left hand bat though. I’m pretty shit right hand bat too.

201. I’m a shit left hand bat though. I’m pretty shit right hand bat too.

Therein lies the truth. What hand do you wipe your arse with? That is your dominant hand.
    Unless you’re a Muslim, of course.

Boys and girls are different.”

Twenty years ago, Hasbro, a major American toy manufacturing company, tested a playhouse it hoped to market to both boys and girls. It soon emerged that girls and boys did not interact with the structure in the same way. The girls dressed the dolls, kissed them, and played house. The boys catapulted the toy baby carriage from the roof. A Hasbro manager came up with a novel explanation: “Boys and girls are different.”

They are different, and nothing short of radical and sustained behavior modification could significantly change their elemental play preferences.

203. sdfc

I’m a shitter left hand bat than right hand bat. I’m about as right handed as you can get but I still do some stuff left handed.

204. zyconoclast

With that said, have a happy 2018.

Thanks for viewing.

Have a good 2018 yourself.

205. sdfc

Boys and girls are different.

Of course they are.

Girls should not be taught to be ashamed of being girls.

206. Mitch M.

That *might* have been a good thing. Being ambidextrous can make for party tricks but lateral specialisation is a resource saving measure. Unfortunately can’t find any studies on it, only found one suggesting ambidextrous children can have problems in school. I doubt that is applicable in your case.

207. Oh come on

What was Grigory’s humorous nickname for you, Oh come on?
    Don’t remind me now, it’ll be funnier if i remember it myself.

Grigory had no “humorous nickname” for anyone, Nemkat. He is utterly humourless. The fact you, and –
    I think I can safely say – only you think any nickname of his makes me think Nemkat could be a Grigory sockpuppet.

I repeat, Nemkat thinks GrigoRae’s nicknames are “humorous”. All eyes on Nemkat as possibly another sad old git sockpuppet of GrigoRae.

It’s not so farfetched, is it? Apart from being the only person who finds GrigoRae “humorous”, consider today that while Nemkat was boring everyone to death with cricket commentary (as is GrigoRae’s wont), GrigoRae just happened to stop by to pooh-pooh cricket. Quite a coincidence, no?

208. Oh come on

Anyone who has raised boys and girls could tell you this. The difference is as plain as the nose on your face. People who say there is no biological difference between males and females, that we’re all just blank canvasses at birth and gender expression is ascribed to us by our surroundings, have either never raised both boys and girls or have tried desperately to engineer one of their children into the gender fit they want (ie. they’re child abusers).

209. OneWorldGovernment

Oh come on
    #2597297, posted on December 31, 2017 at 1:04 am

+100

210. OneWorldGovernment

Oh come on
    #2597298, posted on December 31, 2017 at 1:10 am

+1000

It’s going to be interesting when the first court cases finally get heard.

211. Mitch M.

Ideologically blinkered. The personal observation evidence should be enough let alone all the various studies. It’s amazing that people can be so stupid as to think that we began as blank slates(tabula rasa). I had no idea how prevalent this idea was until some years ago the psychologist Steven Pinker published a book, “The Blank Slate”, demolishing the concept. When I read it I thought he was attacking a straw man and didn’t take into account that he works in the US, where that idiocy is strongest in certain academic contexts.

Girls should not be taught to be ashamed of being girls.

When were they taught that?

213. Mitch M.

When were they taught that?

Worse than that. When my brother’s wife gave up work to raise the children at various corporate gatherings she was looked down upon for being a stay at home mum. I wouldn’t be surprised if those critics had some messed up kids in their ranks whereas the nephews have done very well. The studies are very clear on this: young children need principal caregivers to be around them, loss of that presence is associated with poor mood regulation in adult life. I suppose it is just a coincidence that anxiety and depression rates in children and teens have been rising for 20 years. We’ve completely messed this up and I can’t see any practical solution to it.

214. tgs

Out of interest could you link some of those studies?

young children need principal caregivers to be around them

You need evidence of that do you, tgs?

216. Mitch M.

Early experiences of care, and the attachment
    relationship with the caregiver, have a long lasting impact on the child’s reactivity to stress

1. A child has an innate (i.e., inborn) need to attach to one main attachment figure (i.e., monotropy).

There is much more tgs but it’s late and I’m having no end of trouble accessing pubmed. Still haven’t figured out what is going on there. Edge won’t load it, Chrome not so good either. The key name in this is Bowlby.

217. Mitch M.

BTW, I think this issue isn’t raised because because psychology is dominated by women who are busy with their careers …

Year In Pictures: a mix of highlights from the year and new things this week, says Powerline’s
    Steve Hayward.

219. John Comnenus

I loved the year in pics, especially the guy on LSD who rescues stray dogs and the what happened to Santa after he ate the cookies left for him in Colorado.

220. Mater

For Dr BG (Just in case you get the urge to blow things out of the sky!):

Question: __”I am trying to learn to shoot with both eyes open. I shoot left-­handed and have always closed my right eye when shooting a rifle or shotgun. Whenever I look down a shotgun barrel with both eyes open, though, I see two beads. I think I might be co-eye dominant. Any suggestions?” —Mark Barnes, via OutdoorLife.com

My Answer: It is possible that your eyes are equally dominant and that can make the “two bead” effect more pronounced. Ultimately, however, it doesn’t need to have any negative impact on your shooting. Assuming you don’t have a dominant eye, the way to cope with the two-bead problem is to focus harder on the target. Put another way, if you’re seeing two beads, you’re looking at the wrong thing. Keep your eyes solidly locked on your target and the issue of seeing two beads drops by the wayside. With proper target focus the beads will become indistinct and blurry. As soon as your focus drifts to the bead, bad things start to happen—namely, you will slow or stop your shotgun swing and miss.
    The same goes for shooting a rifle. Stay focused on the target—not your crosshairs—and you will shoot better. However, if you can’t train yourself to do this with both eyes open, it isn’t the worst thing in the world to close the eye that isn’t looking through the scope. But by all means resist the temptation to close one eye when shotgunning. You need your binocular vision to track and hit flying targets.

221. Mike of Marion

ABC Radio News at 0600 telling the story of Alexander Downer as High Commissioner in London on the slops with some Yank dude being a catalyst on the “Get Trump Train”.

Didn’t get it al about fishnet’s involvement.

222. John Comnenus

About time. Trump cuts aid to the duplicitous Pakistani Government. They need to do more to fight terrorism to get the $$$$$.

223. John Comnenus

About time. Trump supports anti Ayatollah protestors in Iran. Roger Simon writes that this highlights the difference between Trump and Obama. Obama wanted to cut a deal with the Mullahs so bad that he sold the Iranian people down the river. Trump supports the people against their Shi’a, Islamist, terror funding, war exporting, oppressive government. Hopefully the Iranian people can overthrow their leaders.

224. rickw

The USA was once the greatest friend the Iranian people ever had, seems that Trump is making that true again.

225. Gab

That means I can’t play pool unless … I’m drunk as a skunk. 🙂

The stories I could tell of playing pool when inebriated! I was excellent under intoxication. True.

226. herodotus

Judith’s article in the Oz about Snowy 2.0 certainly drew the crabs in comments!

227. Geriatric Mayfly

Whatever the absurdities and contradictions of Islam, Iran will get back on track one day – not too distant one hopes. A proud culture stretching way back, with many positive attributes, which distinguish them as a breed apart from the sand monkeys that infest that neck of the woods. Remove those religious ratbags and Persia will be reborn.

228. rickw

That’s the hard wiring!

That’s basically the foundation of the family, tribe and country.

229. vr

The CNN and NYT silence on the protests in Iran and propaganda when they do report is morbidly fascinating to watch. The NYT’s iran reporter is reporting from Japan.

ABC TV Breakfast – the great coldening in the US/Canada – how long till they link it to CAGW?

Jacinta in Oakville Canada – not enough data yet to link to Glowball Warmening (what’s SDA’s take?).

231. Hence Boys should generally not be involved with caring and Girls should generally not be involved with projectile launching.

The expression “throw like a girl” didn’t come from nowhere.
    Girls shouldn’t run, either.

232. Geriatric Mayfly

That’s the hard wiring! Girls work out how to care for others, Boys work out how to launch projectiles at others! That’s basically the foundation of the family, tribe and country.

A representative from Emily’s List will be calling on you shortly rickw to unscramble your wooly thinking.

Oh Alexander!

I wonder who this “Muller” guy is?

The preschoolers are working the ABC news desk while the older children are on WEBs. From the linked article:

It remains to be seen how it will stand up to scrutiny.

Chortle.

235. Gilas

Don’t know if it’s been posted before..
    If you can ignore the rug, this guy’s brilliant.
    Thanks go to John C.

With the handbag hit squad in tow – that’s how chicks do aggression.

A study of the history of Monarchy in Europe showed that there was more war and unrest when there was a majority of Queens at the head – they’d essentially gang up on a weaker opponent.

237. lotocoti

Oh Alexander!

The Times article was put together from off-the-record accounts and there is no direct attribution or explanation of how the paper proved Mr Downer’s role.

So the story is fake, but true.