The Fairfax media are reporting that a $5 tax will be applied to parcels entering Australia.
A discussion paper obtained by Fairfax Media shows department is considering ways to balance the bio-security budget, which is under pressure by the explosion in small parcels entering Australia from overseas retailers. Some 38.7 million parcels worth under $1000 each were imported to Australia last financial year – a 22 per cent increase on the previous 12 months.
Just a couple of quick thoughts:
- Australians already pay for security via their income tax.
- Overseas sales less than $1000 will be taxed after July by the GST.
- This is an additional protectionist measure for poor retail experiences in Australia.
- The whole purpose of Border Force was to drive efficiencies and save money.
- I don’t believe for one second that every single parcel coming into Australia is scanned.