Wednesday Forum: June 20, 2018

1,823 Responses to Wednesday Forum: June 20, 2018

1 6 7 8
  1. Oh come on

Oh, look. The bizarre, broken rambling continues over at the ABC DC bureau with the following piece of “analysis”:

Melania Trump capped off a pretty weird week with #jacketgate
    By Washington bureau chief Zoe Daniel

Trump has broken her. She is literally certifiable. Old school treatment regimen required: straitjacket, chained to the bed, lithium, highly experimental voltages administered to the cranium on a regular basis.

Confused Old Misfit
    #2744738, posted on June 22, 2018 at 10:00 pm

this is the way it happens in the EU and has been for at least the last 20 years.

This is part of what some of us are trying to prevent. Europe and its social practices are not worth emulating.

I said I didn’t approve, but they didn’t ask for my permission either.
    Simply pointed out that we are following the worldwide trend, albeit a few years behind.

3. Gab

Thanks, guys. That’s the one.

Can you explain this chart, please? It’s about sunspot cycles from 1954 to now.

Sunspot activity is a proxy for solar intensity. Less spots cooler. Stock up on blankets.

5. Armadillo

Our most prominent Latin speakers these days believe the left must be embraced.

Fun fact: ATM’s in the Vatican City are all in Latin

6. DrBeauGan

Sinistra delenda est, Gab.

7. mh

The Savage Nation Podcast – June 21, 2018 Michael Savage Show / Full Show

8. DrBeauGan

An updating of Carthago delenda est.

9. Gab

Sinistra delenda est translates to “Left destroyed”. I want it to say the Left must be destroyed.

10. Gab

Okay then it’s sinistra soli, as JC said.

I’m currently getting 56 mbps speed through my internet service, through the cable wire. I’ve read the NBN delivers 25ish mbps. Does this mean that I will have a slower speed after I get the NBN?

Presumably Gab. At least that’s what Google translate says.

You will have to take it up with Rococco Liberal. It was their Liberty Quote. 🙂

14. Gab

Carthago delenda est. translates as Carthage must be destroyed but when I substitute Socialismus for Carthago all I get is Socialism destroyed. Latin is quite a delicate language,

15. Entropy

Depends on the package you buy JC. I currently get 115 mbps but once I am forced onto the NBN it will drop to 100 mbps if a buy the higher end packages. The upside is uploads rise from 5 mbps to 40 mbps. If I was a busy torrenter this would be useful.

Apparently most people have been buying the cheapest, 12 mbps download.

16. Confused Old Misfit

Tony Abbott to vote against the government’s energy policy.

17. DrBeauGan

Gab, latin is very terse and you have to work out the translation from context and case. There is neither a definite nor indefinite article. Google translate works for the standard stuff and not much else.

18. Gab

I’m not using google translate.

19. Entropy

Oh, and to clarify, coaxial cable will get up to 100 mbps on NBN. Ditto fibre, but it might get higher in the future (I’ve seen 490 mbps n a university AARNET fibre network. If you are on fibre to the node and then copper to the house you will be limited to high end ADSL 2 speed, about 25 mbps.
    But you are on coax it seems. Try rebooting the modem router and it might be faster, then check speed through an Ethernet cable rather than wifi. You might find your speed is higher than you think.

I will also point out on Telstra 4GX on my iPhone 7 my top speed has been 186 mbps.

20. Gab

Socialismus debet destrui.

Okay then it’s sinistra soli, as JC said.

Sinistra soli = Left alone.

Sinistra delenda est = The Left must be destroyed.

Latin is a terse language in which words must serve several meanings; this plays havoc with online translators.

Oh thank Ent

I don’t know much about the NBN and someone told me it only came in one size fits all.

Great minds, BeauGan… 😉

24. Gab

Roger, then why is it when using Carthago delenda est it translates to “Carthage must be destroyed” but it doesn’t work for The Left or Socialism?

Don’t know Gab, but it’s literally sinistra (left) delenda (destroyed) est ([is]to be).

The Left is to be/must be destroyed.

26. Gab

Good article, JC.

The city also proved less hospitable to unions than metros in the eastern part of the state, where the United Auto Workers union holds sway. In 1911, thousands of workers went on strike against 50 furniture companies in the Grand Rapids area. The union members who walked out were largely Polish, German, and Scandinavian, with Catholic bishop Joseph Schrembs supporting the strikers. By contrast, the Dutch Reformed Church prohibited its members from joining unions and striking, effectively undermining the strike—and the labor movement—in western Michigan. While working conditions improved locally and unions made some inroads, the failure of the 1911 strike helped create a distinctively different trajectory for Grand Rapids from that of Detroit and Flint. Even today, while 12.8 percent of metro Detroit’s private-sector workers are unionized, only 3.8 percent are unionized in Grand Rapids.

27. DrBeauGan

Roger
    #2744773, posted on June 22, 2018 at 10:43 pm
    Great minds, BeauGan…

Roger, my Latin master was the model for centurion cleese in the scene in life of Brian where Brian learns the Latin for Romans go home.

Gab, if you type in Romanos delenda est it will get that wrong too. You have to read what they mean, not what they say. 🤡

28. Snoopy

I’m on Telstra NBN. Before I was on cable Telstra. When the change over occurred I didn’t upgrade my existing plan (ie lock in a new plan) because the approximately equivalent NBN plan was going to be more expensive. Since then Telstra has upgraded me to 50 mbs plus unlimited downloads at no additional cost and without me asking.

Treat ’em mean to keep ’em keen.

29. John Constantine

In comments published in Hurriyet newspaper on Thursday, Erdogan also says his government “laughed” off a request for Turkey to arrest Sudanese President Omar al-Bashir during an Islamic summit in Istanbul this month. Al-Bashir is on the International Criminal Court’s wanted list for war crimes in Darfur.

Erdogan says Turkey is not a party to the ICC’s founding treaty.

Asked about reports that Turkey would build a naval base at Sudan’s port of Suakin, Erdogan told a group of journalists on his return from an Africa visit that included Sudan: “There is no such thing as a military port.”

Caliph erdogan laughs off a united nations request to hand over the genocidal lunatic wanted for driving the apex gang to yarragrad.

Their Julie bishop would hand over Skippy the Bush Kangaroo the instant their UN ordered her to.

30. Gab

Understand what you’re saying, Roger, but it doesn’t translate to English the way you are saying it does. Only seems to work for Carthage.

Anyways, I’ve contacted the Cat’s Grand Latin Master and hope he gets back to me.

From the article, Gab.

But greater Grand Rapids remains a leading center of office furniture, with companies like Steelcase (more than 3,000 local employees) and Zeeland-based Herman Miller (about 4,000 employees). These companies are globally respected for their high-quality designs, such as Herman Miller’s iconic Aeron chair.

I’ve never really understood why Italian furniture was way at the top, like B&B Italia, when there’s Herman Miller.

32. johanna

It’s because of the use of the imperative mood, Gab.

Use of the imperative is complicated and often inconsistent. As in English, a native speaker understands it from the context and common usage.

As Dr BG said, ‘sinistra delenda est’ is just dropping the word for ‘left’ (which had no political meaning in ancient Rome) into the classic expression ‘Carthago delenda est.’ So, it doesn’t really make sense.

33. Gab

Hmmm, interesting designs, JC. Not to my taste though.

Having read that article all the way through, the author does get rather churlish about Grand Rapids towards the end.

34. OneWorldGovernment

The so called Liberal Party of Australia are in fact a Fascist right wing communist party.

They pretend to be Conservative Socialists and in fact are true communists.

The filth of the so called National Party actually show their true colours by virtue of being National Communist Party.

A vote for a uniparty is a vote for communism

35. Gab

So the Grand Latin Master has replied:

“Socialismus delendus est”

it is.

Again, from the article

It’s true about the Dutch in the US. They did some magnificent stuff and created the underpinning for the greatest metropolis the world has seen.

When someone mentions New York City, they should be corrected. It’s real name is New Amsterdam 🙂
    Small town US is quintessentially small town European or the home counties outside London.

It’s the backbone of America

Another factor potentially underpinning Grand Rapids’s success is its Dutch demographic legacy. Nearly 20 percent of Grand Rapids’s Kent County identifies as Dutch. Next-door Ottawa County, which includes the tourist center of Holland and Herman Miller’s headquarters in Zeeland, is 31 percent Dutch.

The Dutch who settled western Michigan came to the United States much later than their predecessors, the colonists who founded New Amsterdam. They first arrived in the area in the mid-1800s, with a familiar story: they were religious dissenters, fleeing persecution. Originally bound for Wisconsin, they were forced to winter in Detroit when the Straits of Mackinac froze over. Michigan boosters persuaded them to stay in the Wolverine State rather than move on, and they established their settlement in what became Holland. Later waves of Dutch followed this migration path but with economic, rather than religious, motives. By 1900, about a third of all Dutch immigrants to America lived in Michigan. Other locations in the U.S. heavily settled by the Dutch have also done well economically. A separate group of Dutch religious dissidents, for instance, wound up in northwestern Iowa at nearly the same time as those who settled in western Michigan. A recent New Yorker feature branded the town of Orange in northwestern Iowa “the place where the small-town American Dream lives on.” And though there are few Dutch there today, the former Dutch colony now known as New York City remains the world’s premier metropolis.

While the colonists who founded New Amsterdam brought an open, globally oriented trading mind-set, the later settlers of Michigan and Iowa were much more conservative, politically and culturally. The Dutch Reformed faith remains strong in Grand Rapids. The city is home to various Christian denominations like the Christian Reformed Church and several evangelical Christian institutions like Zondervan Publishing and Calvin College, as well as the Catholic Acton Institute. The area has been a Republican stronghold since the 1860s and was the home city of Gerald Ford, whose presidential museum is located in downtown Grand Rapids.

The article goes on to mention culture:

Cities and cultures are dynamic. Change is a requirement for future adaptation, but in places like Grand Rapids, where the local ethos has been crucial, it’s a delicate balance to strike.

Here’s my problem. The piece is correct to suggest culture is dynamic, but there but I don’t think it’s always positive. For instance, I believe that the largest cohort supporting the Greens in Australia, aren’t immigrants. In fact almost the entirety of the green movement are the descendants of the old protestant sects that have been decimated. These white-Anglo descendants are basically the supporters of green-left communism. Having left Christianity, they now follow the religious teachings of the green left.

So if you’re looking to blame someone for sky high electricity prices,blame them.

37. Snoopy

Like that Richard Di Natale prick.

38. OneWorldGovernment

Who will kick the guts in of Simpletons ACCC.

39. OneWorldGovernment

I have a suggestion.

Let us create a ministry called “Pissing on You”.

40. Leo G

… Erdogan told a group of journalists on his return from an Africa visit that included Sudan: “There is no such thing as a military port.”

A “military port” is the position of a rifle, when carried with both hands and in a slanting direction across the the body with the barrel near the left shoulder.

Like that Richard Di Natale prick.

Yea, exactly Snoopy, almost the entirety means entirety.

I don’t quite how, you’re perceptive at times- showing great promise and then you suddenly fall in a heap, displaying elements of being semi-retarded. Do you take a stupid pill occasionally?

42. Makka

South Sudan is a strong independent country that don’t need no peace broker.

I agree it should be left alone but make no mistake, it’s a shithole. A violent, pest infected shithole.

43. Snoopy

Di Natale isn’t a lapsed prod?

Di Natale isn’t a lapsed prod?

Ummm yes we know, or at least we can comfortably make that assumption. The comment I made earlier you had difficulty with covered for this, you semi retarded dingo. It’s why I suggested the green left is made up almost entirely…. in other words not quite.

45. Makka

Donald J. Trump

Verified account

@realDonaldTrump
    Following Following @realDonaldTrump

80% of Mexico’s Exports come to the United States. They totally rely on us, which is fine with me. They do have, though, very strong Immigration Laws. The U.S. has pathetically weak and ineffective Immigration Laws that the Democrats refuse to help us fix. Will speak to Mexico!

46. OneWorldGovernment

Makka
    #2744808, posted on June 22, 2018 at 11:39 pm

South Sudan is a strong independent country that don’t need no peace broker.

Fuck off.

Have you ever met so called South Sudanese.

I would blow the fuck out of any muslim shithead stablishment.

47. OneWorldGovernment

If Trump wants to stop the Border shit then he should blow the fuck out of every so called mexican police station and then take over the whole useless country.

48. Makka

Have you ever met so called South Sudanese.

I had at least 50 working for me. I lived and worked in Sudan for over 2 years. Spent months in the South at various locations. As much as I didn’t mind some of the Sth Sudanese, it’s a broken violent place and it’s people ditto. We certainly don’t need them here.

You fuck off , OWG.

We certainly don’t need them here.

Makkaroni, they may be saying the same thing about you being there! 🙂 and stop the abuse as it isn’t that sort of blog, you oaf.

50. Makka

How’s that long AUD trade going for you JC?

51. Makka

Makkaroni, they may be saying the same thing about you being there!

That can’t be true. They are paying through the nose to keep me.

52. OneWorldGovernment

Makka
    #2744817, posted on June 22, 2018 at 11:53 pm

Have you ever met so called South Sudanese.

You fuck off , OWG.

shove it up your arse dish licker.

i have the fucking scars to say get fucked mole

53. Makka

That’s what happens when you talk shit OWG.

Lay off the bottle and you just might be able to think straight.

54. OneWorldGovernment

makka

go and root your grey nurse shark

I actually did pretty good this week. I made the month’s bills. When I don’t have much of the view I tend to trade technically. It’s quite basic. I have an 18 hour moving average line over AUD/USD chart and trade when the market breaks that MA. There’s been a few good moves over and under that line this week. I’m the human Algo.

I just shorted the Euro/Aud looking for a decent move back down, which is not algo related.

Moe importantly I loaded up on US bank stocks this week as I thought the Fed would announce a decent stress test result. But more importantly would allow more capital return and higher divs. The US market is starved of higher divs. I think these stocks will go up quite a bit in the short term. If not, I’ll turf them. No biggie.

Ladies please, no squabbling.

57. OneWorldGovernment

So makka

You controlled 50 Sudanese.

How often have you approved a Sudanese to come into Australia?

58. Armadillo

My foreign language skills are quite extensive.

French: Crepe, Vol au Vent, Eiffel Tower plus a couple more.
    German: Frankfurt, Heil, I no nothink.
    Sudanese: Give me your keys.

Sinc, if Cats need a hand with this foreign language stuff, you have my permission to give them my email.

Happy to help out.

59. OneWorldGovernment

and fuckwit makka.

do you chew khat or just mainline whatever you can shove in your vein?

60. Armadillo

I’m also familiar with the terms Sushi, Pizza and Taco.

61. OneWorldGovernment

in his own words

Makka
    #2744808, posted on June 22, 2018 at 11:39 pm

South Sudan is a strong independent country that don’t need no peace broker.

62. Makka

On the money!

Donald J. Trump

Verified account

@realDonaldTrump
    Following Following @realDonaldTrump
    Hope OPEC will increase output substantially. Need to keep prices down!

7:10 AM – 22 Jun 2018

63. OneWorldGovernment

Armadillo
    #2744835, posted on June 23, 2018 at 12:18 am

I’m also familiar with the terms Sushi, Pizza and Taco.

Armadillo

As long as you can deliver I’ll have one of them.

64. OneWorldGovernment

Makka you xunt

How many Sudanese have you approved to come to Australia?

65. Armadillo

Hope OPEC will increase output substantially. Need to keep prices down!

A single tweet that drives a dagger into every lefties heart. One hammer, two nails. Sweet.

66. Makka

Hey Mr President, why don’t you kick the EU in the nuts while you have your phone out?

PDJT: Good idea!

Donald J. Trump

Verified account

@realDonaldTrump
    Following Following @realDonaldTrump
    Based on the Tariffs and Trade Barriers long placed on the U.S. and it great companies and workers by the European Union, if these Tariffs and Barriers are not soon broken down and removed, we will be placing a 20% Tariff on all of their cars coming into the U.S. Build them here!

67. OneWorldGovernment

Armadillo
    #2744845, posted on June 23, 2018 at 12:27 am

Hope OPEC will increase output substantially. Need to keep prices down!

But then you will destroy the Venezuelan socialist paradise you Australian scum.

68. OneWorldGovernment

makka

stop avoiding

How many Sudanese folk have you approved into Australia?

I have scars gregorrae

69. OneWorldGovernment

so makka

you just trained the Sudanese criminals.

Nice.

I met a bloke that trained Nth Viet.

I hope you got good money.

1 6 7 8