Open Forum: November 24, 2018

1,249 Responses to Open Forum: November 24, 2018

1 3 4 5
  1. struth

Good evening , my name is Struth and I am from Princeton.
    Good evening, my name is Struth and I am from Woogastuffmeup.

Honestly, ya can’t expect to win .

2. Death Giraffe

But really, my main reason for producing videos now is to annoy Arma.

3. Armadillo

I have a ton of ideas, more than I have time to make.

Canceling season two of “Running Man” then? OMG. Your audience will be devastated.

4. struth

Arky, I am with you.
    I can’t stand the thought of being a tour driver or around people , especially at the centre of things.
    Sombody else’s turn now.

As long as you hane done your bit,……brown eye the world.

5. Oh come on

You people are weird.

6. struth

I resemble that remark, OCO.

7. It is a 100% corrupt outfit like most ALL political bodies in New South Wales.

Minor edit for you.

8. Armadillo

Death, cutting up a $10 pair of shoes with $159 written on the box with your kids texter doesn’t actually constitute a documentary, tutorial or anything remotely educational.

The “take out message” was “don’t say hello to strangers” when passing them on a circular track. The “hot and cold” feet treatment was just fucking weird.

9. Armadillo

Oh, and buy yourself a car. Just like normal people do.

10. Elizabeth (Lizzie) Beare

Today has been one of the best shit shows I have ever seen on here

You haven’t been here long in that case.
    Just a normal Cat day.
    I wrote a long comment but Google Chrome ate it.
    It was to say to Cassie I enjoyed her long comment, and that I like learning more about other people’s religions when they are good enough to inform me. Also, that Stimps is a good guy. Just has a certain autistic persistence without seeing the stormy waters it is leading him into.

True schizophrenia, Stimps? Not schizo-affective disorder? I’ve seen so many swaying diagnoses around the ‘voices’ issue, including bi-polar. I think sufferers swing between these various labels and veer off into other ones occasionally too. Best to just say your head needs a bit of care, reality is rather hard to grasp right now, and find out which drugs help and when. But then, I’m no psychiatrist.

And now to guns: today Hairy came home from the shops toting a Kids Stuff plastic bag, a large one. Doing some early Christmas shopping? I enquire, surprised. Nope. He’s bought himself an orange and yellow pump-action water pistol, and has spent half the afternoon and the avian roosting hours pot-shotting the Currawongs to discourage them from checking in overnight on the branches above our pathway, dropping their loads, and awaiting the brekkie from next door, which my entreaties to the neighbours have terminated.

It works! A safe, kindly, relatively dry, easy, and fun way to get rid of unwanted birds. Shoot ’em.

11. Death Giraffe

Normal people are shit

12. Fat Tony

Death Giraffe

Don’t start that old motor without making sure all the moving parts are well lubricated.

Many years ago, I was helping a young guy put together a modded 308/355.
    I told him to oil the gudgeon pins on the piston-rod assembly – I even asked him if he had done it – said he did.
    Short story was he hadn’t – the engine fired up and ran for prob less than 10 seconds before stopping.
    And it’s a prick of a job pulling out the piston/rods when the piston/pin is seized.

I’m not sure what sort of oiling system those old Fords have, or how you go about pre-oiling the engine prior to firing up, but make sure properly lubricated.

13. Elizabeth (Lizzie) Beare

By the time the water pistol has made its rainbow arc high into the treetops the birds merely feel gentle drops from heaven, fluff their feathers in skwarked surprise and take off to another tree, not one of ours. It’s not anything like as drastic as hosing them. Let me have a go, I say after Hairy gives a demo.

Night all. Always get to bed too late if I come in here. Have to reform.

14. DrBeauGan

Oh come on
    #2871920, posted on November 26, 2018 at 12:19 am
    You people are weird.

Have you only just noticed?

15. Bruce in WA

I try … but the neighbours bitch that the .223 is sooooo loud!

16. Armadillo

Tony,

Don’t waste your time talking to the Giraffe. The “Model A” is nothing more than scattered wood and metal strewn across his garage floor. It won’t happen.

Daffy and Donald Duck have put out a contract on his life for poisioning their brothers with a fucked up “Christmas Pudding” experiment. He’s a goner.

17. Mitch M.

Stimps is preoccupied with his psychological maladies. I can be ADD\ASD\BPD\MDD\ODD but on on a good day I’m only 1 or 2 of those.

18. Armadillo

Ducks used to be all over our TV screens once and in our comic books. And loveable ducks.

Not pointing fingers at anyone.

#arkyisaduckassasin

19. Bruce in WA

Bedtime. G’night all.

20. Armadillo

One turkey “gets a pardon” in America.

21. Stimpson J. Cat

But then, I’m no psychiatrist.

This is very true.
    You are no psychiatrist.
    😁

22. Armadillo

Two ducks get “Disappeared” (Donald and Daffy).

Fat Tony
    #2871927, posted on November 26, 2018 at 12:43 am

Death Giraffe

I know you’d miss all the fun and excitement of starting up and old engine that’s been sitting around for a while but I wouldn’t even try.

Stripping it down is only a matter hours and may save you weeks and a lot of heart ache, not to mention money. Even if all looks OK a quick honing and new rings would be the go.

Could be just my inner engineer speaking, so take no notice.

And if you decide to start it up anyway, make sure only the engine’s moving parts are well lubricated.

24. Armadillo

Stimpy, I was just about to explain about “Hewie, Lewie and Dewie”. Three.

After that I was going for the record of uninterrupted posts in a row.

Thanks for ruining my record attempt, you idiot.

25. Stimpson J. Cat

Sorry, try again.
    Go.

26. Stimpson J. Cat

Have you started yet?

27. Armadillo

Or perhaps Wednesday. When no one knows what I’m up to.

28. Armadillo

Death,

Ignore all the advice above regarding the engine. The Model A just needs petrol and an ignition switch/match.

Sorry Arma, I thought you said you were going for it on Monday. Or was it just a ruse to lull us into complacency?

30. None

Snoopy
    #2871747, posted on November 25, 2018 at 7:39 pm

Fiona Patten of the dishonestly named Reason Party getting the arse is a ray of sunshine. Disgusting woman.

Yes. If that charlatan preference whisperer wasn’t in the game (making a motza mind) the Victorians seem to have voted with some common sense in the upper house (booting Greens, foul Patten). Still comatose though. No one should ever ever vote above the line. Ever.

31. Armadillo

I’m a bit irritated that you showed less interest when Winston (spit) Smith (spit) was galavanting about in the early hours. I’ll bide my time.

32. DrBeauGan

A bit of time biding is good for you, ‘Dillo. Builds character.

33. Armadillo

The sooner you bastards can’t afford air travel, Internet connectivity and those ridiculous International time zones, my time will come.

34. mh

Donald J. Trump
    Donald J. Trump
    @realDonaldTrump
    1h
    So great that oil prices are falling (thank you President T). Add that, which is like a big Tax Cut, to our other good Economic news. Inflation down (are you listening Fed)!

People thinking of moving to perceived better places, bear one thing in mind.
    In central Europe at this time of day by 3:30 PM you need to turn on the light.

I don’t have much to complain about, like the place, but the short day light hours in autumn and winter is depressing.

36. Armadillo

“The Cat” is apparently preserved in the National Archives or something? The way things are going, to post a comment, we will have to pedal our way there.

The spaminator will be standing guard, and the trolls will be on the bridge (rather than under it).

I’m not kidding. Go back and have a look at how many duplicate comments that have appeared today. Posters wanting to say something, but moderated. Near identical comments appear.

Must be frustrating.

Sinc, # twice if you are being held hostage.

37. Oh come on

But the loooong summer days are the best!

Well at least they were when I was in my early 20s, experiencing 10pm twilights on a Friday night for the first time. It was great.

Maybe I wouldn’t care that much these days.

38. Armadillo

In central Europe at this time of day by 3:30 PM you need to turn on the light.

Dracula would disagree.

39. Armadillo

There are innumerable sayings about light. Cant be a coincidence.

40. Armadillo

Many of them are biblical.

41. Armadillo

I’m trying my best to get a “bite”.

Note to self: Imorove your game.

42. Armadillo

Six is the number of the beast.

43. Armadillo

Seven. Whilst you all sleep.

44. Armadillo

Eight. JC’s Hotline number – 1300 181 181.

Or to be more precise 1300 – one ate one, one ate one

45. None

Eight = Army slumped on his keyboard

46. Armadillo

Nine – The Devils number upside down.

47. Armadillo

If you did 999 in a row.

48. Armadillo

I’m warming to None. At least he/she/it isn’t so cruel as to wait tillI get to 56.

49. Armadillo

We really should offer to “Crowd Fund” Arky a real car.

50. Armadillo

Or some real running shoes.

51. Armadillo

Or a real Christmas Pudding.

52. Armadillo

If things went well, we could buy him a decent Australian accent.

53. Armadillo

Or you could buy a half frozen duck from him if you live in WA.

Look for the bloke standing next to Santa Claus at the local IGA yelling “Ducks for sale, get your ducks here”.

54. Armadillo

“Sex dollars each” might be a touch off putting.

55. Armadillo

Everyone used to eat ducks once. That’s until the turkeys got targeted.

Annie might be able to fill us in on the conspiracy theory that Scrooge McDuck was behind it all.

The bastard.

56. Armadillo

Scrooge McDuck was a capitalist pig……err duck.

57. Armadillo

Don’t start me on “Ritchie Rich”.

58. struth

Just checking in, have I missed anything?

59. Armadillo

That little fucker was an inspiration for millions of kids. Who wouldn’t want to be like him?

Have a bath in money. Hell yeah.

60. struth

Not long now and we’re going to get Tom’s cartoons as well.

61. Armadillo

This is where thencloset Socialists in Hollywood didn’t quite get the message right. They were confused.

62. struth

Oh, sorry Armadillo, are you attempting your world record?

Ooooooooooooooops.

63. Armadillo

Tom, throw up some duck cartoons.

64. Armadillo

Sinc, please ban Struth.

65. Armadillo

Or at least delete his comments.

He hasn’t been here for awhile. No one will know.

Jeezzuss I was tempted to call in and ask how Dillo was doing, but restrained myself only to see struth ruining the flow of his story.

And a good story it was too, just getting interesting, the topic, the subject, the smooth glide from Arky’s ducky-side into the McDuck family.

Hope he’ll continue with the tale an other time.

67. Armadillo

Sinc, send Struth a courier duck to advise of his demise. Throw his comments into the spaminator. They never come back from there. Ever.

Or at least until Cats read the thread a few hours later. By then, it’s too late.

68. Armadillo

I’m pretty sure I’ll outlive you bastards.

Time is on my side.

I tried to write “duckcide” kept being replaced with “ducky-side” strange?

70. Armadillo

The power of cartoon characters might be the only thing that can hold Western Civilisation together.

Hollywood certainly won’t.

For the Ape Entertainment comic book series debuting in 2011, the character was updated by emphasizing his altruistic side: “A mix of James Bond and Indiana Jones with the bank account of Donald Trump, Richie Rich is an altruistic adventurer who travels the world helping the less fortunate!”[10] The new Richie was joined by updated versions of his robot maid Irona and his butler Cadbury.[5]

71. Armadillo

I tried to write “duckcide” kept being replaced with “ducky-side” strange?

It’s a subtle warning from Sinc.

Johannes Leak (with the Paywallian’s Media Diary).

73. Armadillo

I envisage children decades from now, huddled by candlelight in a tent, reading forbidden books.

The “Adventures of Donald Duck”. And I might add, he bears a striking resemblance to another “Donald” from recent times. I think it’s his hair.

“If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, quacks like a duck – it’s probably a duck”.

The Democrats missed this completely. It’s about honesty. Donald is a duck. You can tell as many people as you want that he’s “not a duck”, but your eyes don’t lie.

Politicians can pretend to be whatever they want. Tiger, Giraffee or whatever.

It’s rare that you get a duck that is actually a duck. And it knows that it’s a duck. And that a duck bites. And it’s protective of its “ducklings”. It’s home.

You can attack a duck. Sure. Eating it will only leave a bitter taste in your mouth. And you will get wounded on your quest.

Donald is a duck.

If you hadn’t already noticed, the Fakefacts anti-business daily is now officially to the loony left of the Greenfilth. David Rowe.

75. Armadillo

Donkeys and Elephants.

Very symbolic.

No ducks.

Tom
    #2871993, posted on November 26, 2018 at 5:07 am

To be honest I can’t find the point of this toon.
    Must be missing something?

Let them eat cake.

Allies of French president Emmanuel Macron say they have yet to grasp why protesters are “seething anger” over the government’s plans to hike gas prices, while one lawmaker worries the “crisis” runs deeper than the cost of fuel.

Nicolas Démoulin, another ally of the embattled president, called the “Yellow Jacket” protests “a movement without precedent,” adding that lawmakers “don’t have a good diagnosis of it.”

They actually admit they have no idea why the peasants are revolting. The déjà vu is creepy.

Paris Protests: Macron Ally Worries ‘Crisis’ Runs Deeper than Gas Prices

78. bespoke

I’m sure other grievances are attached to the protest Bruce but they cannot be said in public.

79. hzhousewife

Ramirez has been reading the Cat and been inspired by Arky’s vehicle modifying skills……

80. Ƶĩppʯ (ȊꞪꞨV)

The Great Replacement will enshrine permanent marxism
    The US will become ‘minority white’ in 2045, Census projects

81. Peter

Mark A – I think Rowe is pushing the line that overturning Turnbull made the Victorian Liberals roadkill.

ABC needs to be shut down
    Are men’s movements a new form of terrorism?

There seems to be concerted effort to muddy the water around the use of the word “terrorism”. Note the cartoon above pretending that coal is somehow “terrorism” as well.

Classic trick: find an emotive word and suck all the meaning out if it by constant repetition and hijacking. It’s not stupidity, it’s deliberate misinformation for the purpose of jamming communication and creating confusion.

Peter
    #2872010, posted on November 26, 2018 at 7:16 am

Take your word for it.
    Looked again, and either I’m to obtuse or he is too clever by half for me.
    In any case, his ‘style and artistry’ leaves a lot to be desired.

A Leak he ain’t, his pictures could convey meaning with a minimum of dialog.

84. Herodotus

Quite so, and it will no doubt be deemed racist to say that!

85. Herodotus

Overturning the man and the policies that gave them the 2013 result has made all Liberals potential/pending roadkill. The NSW mob may get re-elected, but the Feds should be planning a very abrupt U-turn before it’s too late.

The Doomsday Cult
    Derek Hunter Derek Hunter |Posted: Nov 25, 2018 12:01 AM

So a problem they’ve declared with barely 50 years’ worth of reliable data, and have redefined in both directions before claiming all directions prove their point, warrants literally playing God with the atmosphere? Am I the only one who thinks that’s insane?

We’ve only had satellites able to measure atmospheric temperatures for about 50 years. That’s not even half a blink of an eye in the planet’s history. Yet we’re supposed to be governed by an ever-changing “consensus” of people with the prediction success rate of the average MegaMillions player? Hell no.

87. Crossie

Some Liberal numpty has just finished prattling to Laura Jayes on Sky and insisted that the Liberal Party is a broad church. My only thought was if it’s so broad why have the conservatives been excommunicated?

They know nothing and have learned nothing.

88. Atoms for Peace., ,

Ducks? Too early in the morning for Australian cricket.

National Cyber Security Adviser Alastair MacGibbon joins AFP, ASIO, national police chiefs in demanding the abolition of privacy in time for Christmas:

Cyber chief blasts tech giants

National Cyber Security Adviser Alastair MacGibbon has attacked technology companies for their “absurd” opposition to new encryption laws aimed at neutralising terrorists, pedophiles and organised crime gangs.

Writing in The Australian today, Mr MacGibbon aims to ­debunk the argument that the proposed changes would usher in “some Orwellian dystopia” by ­allowing the government to listen in on households through smart devices such as Google’s Home or Amazon’s Echo.

“Those devices are always on, always listening, and unregulated international tech companies are hoovering up our personal data as they have done for years, and will target advertising at us,” he says. “Remember, to the companies lining up to criticise this bill, we — Australian consumers — are already their product”.

An odd way to ‘debunk’ an argument. Here, MacGibbon admits the argument is correct.

Also, think of the children:

“As a former eSafety Commissioner, I know the bill has the ­potential to catch more child sex offenders using encrypted devices. As the National Cyber Security Adviser, I am confident that this bill will not systemically weaken Australia’s cyber security”.

And Christmas – don’t forget Christmas:

Home Affairs Minister Peter Dutton last week wrote to the committee demanding it immediately report its findings following Bourke Street attacker Hassan Khalif Shire Ali and the three men ­arrested last week for planning an attack all using encrypted messaging to communicate.

In his letter, Mr Dutton warns that intelligence agencies had privately raised concerns about copycat attacks over Christmas.

MacGibbon then quotes Peter Dutton; Dutton puts the classic KGB/Gestapo argument:

“About 90 per cent of lawful ­intercepts conducted by the Australian Federal Police are protected using some form of encryp­tion,” he says. “Our liberal Western democracy is founded on the principle of individual freedom … But there is also a reasonable expectation of freedom from harm and that’s what this bill is about — getting the balance right.

“Our community accepts there will be times when the rights of ­society outweigh the rights of the individual in an effort to protect society and our way of life.”

90. Crossie

So Michael Kroger is to blame? Yes, let’s get rid of her m and put in his place Turnbull junior.

Cyber chief blasts tech giants

National Cyber Security Adviser Alastair MacGibbon has attacked technology companies for their “absurd” opposition to new encryption laws aimed at neutralising terrorists, ped-ph1les and organised crime gangs.

Also, think of the children:

And Christmas – don’t forget Christmas:

Partisan Divide Keeps Popping Up in Supreme Court Rulings
    Debra J. Saunders Debra J. Saunders |Posted: Nov 25, 2018 12:01 AM

It’s not often that President Donald Trump appears more knowledgeable and honest about American jurisprudence than a Supreme Court justice — any Supreme Court justice — but on Thanksgiving week, Trump demonstrated a more realistic insight into how political the nation’s top court has become than Chief Justice John Roberts.

But it is the baldness of some of the 9th’s rulings that has solidified its reputation for putting left-wing politics before the letter of the law. This is the circuit that found the Pledge of Allegiance to be unconstitutional because of its inclusion of “under God.”

Trump is hardly the only conservative who sees the 9th District — which contains Nevada, Alaska, Arizona, California, Hawaii, Idaho, Montana, Oregon and Washington — as too big and too much of a California powerhouse. Arizona Republican Sens. Jeff Flake and the late John McCain introduced legislation in 2017 to create a new 12th circuit by peeling away Nevada and five other states.

Last year Flake complained, “A state with admittedly little in common with states like Arizona or Oregon or the six other remaining states in the circuit can decide the majority of appellate judges for the western half of the country,” according to the Washington Times.

And while Roberts chided Trump for seeing Obama and Clinton justices versus Bush and Trump justices, the partisan divide keeps popping up in Supreme Court decisions.

In June, when the Supreme Court upheld Trump’s third (and much improved) travel ban, Roberts wrote an opinion that noted the policy’s “legitimate purposes.” He was joined by four other justices nominated by Republicans and all four justices nominated by Democrats dissented.

It’s true that the justices can be very collegial and as institutionalists, they are duty bound to defend each other as honest jurists upholding their honest views of the law. But somehow when it comes time to vote on matters that divide the country, the decisions tend to divide on the same lines.

93. Crossie

Now why would we want to do that? Victorian state election results confirm that national security is a nonstarter. I’m told removing level crossings, euthanasia and “safe schools” are the issues that rock.

C.L.
    #2872022, posted on November 26, 2018 at 8:07 am

Are we at war with criminals?

I believe the shorter version was this:

Society’s needs come before the individuals needs

Nice to see all of this coming out in the open. We are “having the conversation” as it were!

I chuckled at Ramirez, then opened Varvel. Lol.

Well known socialist dictator:

It is thus necessary that the individual should come to realize that his own ego is of no importance in comparison with the existence of his nation; that the position of the individual ego is conditioned solely by the interests of the nation as a whole …

To quote another well known socialist dictator:

We must stop thinking of the individual and start thinking about what is best for society.

98. Andreas

Funny how that right apparently doesn’t apply when it comes to immigration.

No one has commented on your graphs yet, Tel.

They must be a deep and dark Mystery.

Plenty of frantic hunting under the bed for something nasty though.

100. Stimpson J. Cat

This obviously does not apply to a blind ethnic transgender lesbian with mental illness in a wheelchair with a hyphen name.
    In that case you can whichever parking space or toilet you want.

101. Baldrick

And how’s that working out?

Further to Zippy’s post at 6:41…

If you were around in the late sixties, you would have heard this played in rapid rotation:

Nothing sadder than a big church with empty pews.

104. Snoopy

Tom
    #2871993, posted on November 26, 2018 at 5:07 am

At least Rowe honestly celebrates the fact that Big Trucking and the ALP are one and the same.

105. notafan

Seems pretty obvious that rather than admit allowing Muslims to immigrate to the west is the only reason we have the problem country, spending billions on anti terror measures and constantly adding new restrictions to the freedoms of their citizens, progressivs, the msm and lickspittle politicians must have bogey men ‘white supremacists’ to point a finger at

Getting to the point where the vast majority of indigenous citizens are going to fit the description of white supremacists.

Just need a few thousand more dead people and our betters might admit what the only real problem is.
    Some are there already but still tinkering at the edges.

As for the Turnbull backlash, lol.

If it’s a spit in the eye of federal liberals its over immigration and general fecklessness.

Don’t stand for anything, why bother?

Woman rescuing cat in North Highlands gets stuck in tree | The …
    19 hours ago – A woman in North Highlands got stuck in a tree and had to be rescued by Sacramento Metro Fire personnel after trying to rescue a cat that was …

On Tel’s comment about the muddying of the meaning of “terrorism”.

How is this not “invasion”?

108. Bear Necessities

I watched Nine news last night. They covered the Paris riots but didn’t include the fact that the increase in fuel tax was to bring about a decline in France’s use of fossil fuels.

Don’t mention the war!

109. Mater

So broad and spread so thin that it was damned near transparent during the campaign down here in Victoria. You’d have hardly known they were there.
    That’s what happens when you spread your beliefs so broadly. No one actually knows what you stand for. I’m not convinced that they even do.

110. hzhousewife

I daydream to myself how I would discuss this topic with a class o ten-year-olds ( though I am not a teacher).
    Imagine running a bath half-full of water. How would you take it’s temperature? Then, imagine adding a jug of ice-water to one end of the bath, and simultaneously adding a jug of hot water to the other end of the bath. With no swishing, how would you take the temperature of the bath-water now? Then, one big swish, what’s the temperature now, then finally, swish a lot and let it settle, take the temperature.
    Next part of the discussion could be how do we take the temperature of the ocean, followed by how do we take the temperature of the air.
    Bigger issue to my mind however is teaching margin of error issues – this should begin right at the start of scientific education in primary schools. If it is, then most people have forgotten by the time they have grown up.

111. notafan

Was amused too that the classroom dunce decided that, having called me a liar and then proving my point is now, with various silly snide remarks, claiming I’m a prude.

Of course, that just further demonstrates that he fully supports the degeneracy of western society caused by the sexual revolution.

112. Baldrick

No MSM irony here folks:

Missionary’s one man invasion resulting in his death was his own fault.

Oh the humanity!

Teargas launched as refugees storm US border

Tel
    #2872028, posted on November 26, 2018 at 8:20 am

To quote another well known socialist dictator:

I always thought of that statement as odd and contradictory.
    Individuals make up a society, if we disregard their needs and desires who is actually benefiting?

Some nebulous entity called ‘society’?
    Or make/let a lot of individuals suffer as long as some don’t?

I prefer we all benefit.

114. Rowe, being anti big business an’ all, did get a jab in at the Linfox, big union, big government triumvirate roaring ahead under Daniels.
    Won’t be long before the oil leak around a seal stops all small operators and farmers from running trucks.
    No doubt a road damage tax will emerge, paired with an old truck tax to save the planet.
    I’m building a new shearing shed.
    Do you think I should instal cameras to spy on myself or wait till PETA or the State make me?

115. Snoopy

ABC needs to be shut down
    Are men’s movements a new form of terrorism?

…….…….………..

Joshua Roose is a political sociologist. His research interests include Islam in western contexts, political Islam, sharia and legal pluralism, multiculturalism and citizenship.
    He currently sits on the Federal Attorney-General’s Department’s National Panel of Experts for Countering Violent Extremism and is a member of the Victorian Governments Institute for Social Cohesion.

I suppose this means that our taxes pay him to beguile our political betters with his poisonous views.

116. Death Giraffe

Thanks Tony.
    Normal procedure after rebuild is remove plugs and crank for a minute checking oil pressure.
    Might do that.

117. Snoopy

Don’t worry Arky, if you blow up the engine bigly you can just fit an early ’70’s Celica engine and drivetrain.

118. If the engine has been sitting for a period, then rust, mouse shit (gerbil shit, being a Ford), wasp nests or anything could be blocking a oil passage. And it only takes seconds to fuck the motor.

The humble wasp causes problems for most trailers sitting in yards for awhile.
    They build nests at the end of airline fittings. Once you hook up the nest is pushed into the system and you end up with no air to release brakes. There’s filters in the system that can be cleaned but the nests are hard to see unless you have a good look first. Fun and games with nature.

119. rickw

On The Island Hopper today, Chuuk, Pohnepi, Kosrae, Kwajalein, Majuro.

120. National Cyber Security Adviser Alastair MacGibbon joins AFP, ASIO, national police chiefs in demanding the abolition of privacy in time for Christmas

Pushed on how encrypted messages could be read when service providers don’t hold the keys necessary decryption, and Turnbull had this to say:

Well, the laws of Australia prevail in Australia, I can assure you of that. The laws of mathematics are very commendable but the only laws that applies in Australia is the law of Australia.

When this issue first arose, Trumble provided us with the above.

In a double ended encryption system, please tell me how anyone can assist AFP/ASIO in deciphering the communication?
    Apart from capturing every keystroke, it beats me.

h/t register.co.uk

121. mh

Majuro, Rick?

Is that Victoria?

122. rickw

The logic that through history has created a pile of skulls high enough to reach the moon.

123. RobK

They have us covered Gez. Because we have to sign a Livestock Production Assurance form to sell stock, we are subject to random on farm audits. I recently received a large envelope with eight detailed brochures, each covering different aspects of farming, safety (for stock), records, production practices etc with a notice that an on farm inspection will be arranged sometime in the comming months.We pay for this as part of our levies.

124. Top Ender

Catching up on Spectator articles – this is very perceptive and great writing. The bit in bold is spectacular.

The PNG gravy train
    Bobby Guwik was right, and he warned me
    Tony Letford

The DFAT website Smart Traveller has the following advice for women who wish to travel to Papua New Guinea: ‘You should also try to sit in train compartments with other women. Avoid travelling in a train carriage where you are the only passenger’.

This might be sound advice in some parts of the world but someone should tell DFAT that there are no passenger trains in PNG and therefore the possibility of sitting in a train compartment, with or without other women, is zero.

Advice this stupid tends to create some doubt about the reliability of the Smart Traveller information but it does remind us that, as a nation, we pay almost no attention to that beautiful country.

The lack of interest in PNG is widespread. John Howard, who is generally well informed, in his autobiography, Lazarus Rising, hardly mentions PNG but devotes over 20 pages to Indonesia which he incorrectly refers to as ‘our nearest neighbour’. In fact, the average strong ocean swimmer could easily swim from the northernmost point of Australia, Boigu Island, to PNG. It is a distance of only five kilometres.

Even Wikipedia, in its section on ‘Australia-Papua New Guinea relations’ incorrectly refers to the Manus Island detention centre as empty since 2007 and plaintively asks for someone to update the entry.

In 1974 I was having a farewell beer with my houseboy, Bobby Guwik, on the verandah of my donga overlooking Port Moresby Harbour. After 6 years there, like most expatriates, I was leaving as independence approached and the law and order situation deteriorated. One by one Bobby’s other employers were also leaving. I unconvincingly parroted the government’s mantra that PNG had bright prospects and that the indigenous population was ready to assume responsibility for its own future. Without hesitation Bobby replied: ‘Nogat. Long taim ol masta em I go pinis clostu behain, olgetta samting em I baggarup.’ (Not so. When all the white men leave, shortly afterwards everything will be buggered).

PNG attained its independence one year later. It was quite an event with Gough Whitlam, Sir John Kerr and Prince Charles all in attendance. Everyone made feel-good speeches noting that it was an historic occasion and that the future for PNG looked bright. Bobby’s gloomy prediction was spot on and in the four decades since independence, PNG has avoided becoming a failed state only because of the billions of your dollars that have been spent propping it up.

The standard of basic government services of education, health and law and order have all deteriorated. Diseases which were either wiped out or under control are all making a comeback. The police are unable to control the criminal gangs that make it impossible for people to walk around at night and, even in the daytime, in the major cities, it is unsafe for white women to walk around unaccompanied. Therefore it is not unreasonable to ask why an illiterate middle aged ‘houseboy’ was able to more accurately predict his country’s future than the leading politicians of the day and the overseas experts who were responsible for the birth of the new nation? Why did it all go so wrong? As a taxpayer you might also be wondering if the $550 million dollars that Australia will give PNG this year cannot be spent more wisely.

None of these issues will be addressed at the Apec meeting currently underway in Port Moresby. Instead, those attending will mouth the same sort of platitudes that Gough et al used in 1975 and avoid asking why, two generations after independence, despite possessing an abundance of natural resources, PNG still cannot stand on its own without massive assistance from Australia?

There are no simple answers. Foisting a Westminster-style system onto a subsistence economy where the four million people spoke over seven hundred languages was never going to work well. The population is now eight million and still increasing and it is hard to see how things can improve without a bit more honesty from political leaders within and without the country. PNG is a stunningly beautiful country and it should be the Hawaii of the Western Pacific. The lack of infrastructure and the inability to control crime in the urban centres mean that will not happen. The Bougainville copper mine holds some of the largest copper deposits in the world and should have brought prosperity to the country. Instead, separatists fighting for a bigger share of the royalties started a war which resulted in the deaths of 20,000. The mine is still closed and attempts to reopen it founder because of the inability of the competing parties to agree on an equitable division of the employment opportunities and revenue which would follow the reopening.

If the PNG Government adopted the Chinese method of social control by locking up anyone who annoyed them, it would make for easier economic development. In the time that China has lifted 700 million people out of poverty, PNG has delivered an additional 4 million into poverty. So one can argue that there are lessons to be learned from the Chinese economic model. If a totalitarian and authoritarian political structure combined with an unrestrained capitalist economic system worked in China and is working in Vietnam, why can’t it work in PNG? Of course such heretical speculation will never be entertained by attendees at the Apec shindig. Instead, we will be told about the achievements to date and the great potential for future economic development for PNG and the other island states of Melanesia and Polynesia.

Given the low life expectancy of PNG citizens, Bobby is almost certainly buried in his village on the slopes of Mount Lamington. But if we were ever to meet again he would be entitled to say ‘Lukim. Olgetta samting mi tokim yu before, em I kamap’ (Look. Everything I said to you previously has occurred).

The annual population increase of PNG is 2.07 per cent and, one generation from now, there will be another 4 million people to support. Without massive changes to the way the country is governed and policed, and without massive economic development, the billions in economic aid that Australia will have to pay in the near future will be wasted.

Papua New Guinea cannot, in its present shape, produce enough food to sustain a population of 12 million people. London to a brick – this topic will hardly be mentioned by the Apec delegates.

incoherent rambler
    #2872056, posted on November 26, 2018 at 8:59 am

re. encryption system, you will only catch the stupid ones, whether you have the key or not.

There are other ways to circumvent detection, using encrypted messaging, is like waving a flag for ASIO’s attention.

126. rickw

Majuro, Rick?

Is that Victoria?

Not just Victoria, but the BB gun capital of Victoria!

I always thought of that statement as odd and contradictory.

It’s not contradictory once you square the circle and recognize that socialists are never honest about anything but they have coded ways of saying things. Thus, “XYZ is for the good of society” means “I want XYZ”.

128. rickw

ASIO doesn’t seem to realise that people can meet face to face and have a completely private discussion.

129. Majuro, Rick?

Is that Victoria?

Known to the locals as BB Island.

130. rickw

In the time that China has lifted 700 million people out of poverty

After putting them in poverty in the first place, this doesn’t include the ones that starved to death.

131. mh

Notice how the media refers to certain Tory MPs as ‘Brexiteers’, as if they are some kind of grandstanding rebel group.

The British people voted to leave the EU.

132. Death Giraffe

Unless you have a smart phone in your pocket.
    Orwell wrote a book describing how a future state could use technology to make it impossible for citizens to have private thoughts.
    What did we do? We went and built it.

133. Death Giraffe

Then we took the character in that book that was a common shorthand for state tyranny and turned it into an inane and pervy game show.

Man arrested, charged after sexual assault of girl in Lake Macquarie region
    Angelo Risso, The Daily Telegraph
    November 26, 2018 5:09am

A man has been arrested and charged over the alleged sexual assault of a young girl in the Lake Macquarie region.

The 28-year-old was pulled over in Cardiff about 1:00am yesterday with a 13-year-old girl and 16-year-old boy in the vehicle. The girl allegedly told police she had been sexually assaulted by the man.

Detectives duly charged the man with aggravated sexual assault of a child and breach of bail. Police will allege the man sexually assaulted the girl at a Lake Macquarie home after meeting and speaking online for 12 months.

The man was refused bail to appear at Toronto Local Court today.

2GB report man on bail.

135. using encrypted messaging, is like waving a flag for ASIO’s attention.

I use it, everyday.
    Hello Ms ASIO!

The millions/billions of people using encrypted messaging makes me think that 1 more encrypted message is not going to attract anyone’s attention.

The “help us” law is displaying ignorance plus.

AGW?

Top stories
    Snow: 985+ flights canceled as storm snarls busy post-Thanksgiving Sunday
    USA TODAY·7 hours ago
    Major winter storm packing strong winds, heavy snow, could disrupt holiday weekend travel
    USA TODAY·1 day ago
    Snow! Airlines waive change fees for post-Thanksgiving storm
    USA TODAY·1 day ago

137. Myrddin Seren

Ask Sam !

Labor senator Sam Dastyari warned Chinese Communist Party-linked political donor Huang Xiangmo last year that his phone was likely tapped by government agencies, including the US government.

Before the two spoke, Mr Dastyari gave Mr Huang counter-surveillance advice, saying they should leave their phones inside and go outside to speak.

Top Ender
    #2872060, posted on November 26, 2018 at 9:04 am

Another UN ‘success’ story.

In era of giant bats, Albert Trott’s big hit still stands the test of time
    https://www.theaustralian.com.au › sport › opinion
    2 days ago – In 1899 Albert Trott hit a ball so cleanly during a Test against Australia it sailed over the Lord’s Pavilion, landed on the back slope of the roof, ..

140. struth

Good Moaning.

Prude.

The “female” is strong in this one.
    Hysterical.
    I could ask you to prove where I am or have ever supported the sexual revolution, but you’re boring and have a bee in your bonnet.
    I am very sure that you have made a complete dickhead of yourself yet again,( in the eyes of others here, who like me, recognise your level headed analysis on many issues and would rather get along, so don’t comment), so I need not add anything.
    But your stubbornness and prudish hysteria when somebody mentions the church or the problems of letting women vote etc, actually prove my point.
    They are then enemies for life, in your eyes, and you will exaggerate and lie and generally keep that bee buzzing around in your bonnet.
    Sad.
    Get over it, Nota.
    You are still part of my society and tribe and as a women I’d still protect you and fight for you even when you hate me, because I look at the bigger picture and rise above the cattiness of our female folk and appreciate their other fine qualities.

Like, good hooters……………………………………………..

Trott, Albert Edwin (1873–1914)
    by Peter Pierce
    This article was published in Australian Dictionary of Biography, Volume 12, (MUP), 1990
    This is a shared entry with George Henry Stevens Trott

‘Alberto’s’ county career began in 1898. At once he blossomed as an all-rounder. In 1899 he made 1175 runs and took 239 wickets; next year he again completed the double with 1337 runs and 211 wickets. He bowled with a low delivery, imparting vigorous spin, but commanded a fine variety of pace, including a quick yorker. Jack Pollard wrote that his batting was ‘sprinkled with blows that remain part of cricket legend’. Albert is the only man known to have hit a ball over the pavilion at Lord’s, a feat accomplished in 1899 off the bowling of M. A. Noble. Albert developed a taste for slogging, to the detriment of his batsmanship. In two Tests for England (1898-99) in South Africa he made 23 runs at 5.75 and took 17 wickets at 11.64. Although his county career declined as he put on weight, he had one great bowling spell left: in his benefit game in 1907 he destroyed Somerset’s second innings with four wickets in four balls and then took another hat-trick, an unprecedented feat which shortened the match and, in his words, bowled him ‘into the workhouse’.

142. The ASIO/AFP whining that they can’t intercept and decode jihadis messages is a clear indication that have approx. zero human intelligence.

Incompetence.
    Fire them all.

Scott Morrison’s MPs go to war over Victorian election result
    Anthony Galloway and Rob Harris, Herald Sun
    27 minutes ago

Federal Liberal MPs from Victoria have openly criticised the party for toppling former prime minister Malcolm Turnbull as a new factional war threatens to inflame divisions.

Victorian MPs will today hold a crisis meeting with Prime Minister Scott Morrison, and some predict an “urban revolt” from voters against the party members who were behind the removal of Mr Turnbull.

Senior Liberal MP and Senate President, Scott Ryan, said although it was a state campaign it was clear federal factors played a role.

Senator Ryan said the party was losing “its electoral base” who didn’t want conservative views “rammed down their throat”.

“There are other lessons here and what struck me on Saturday were swings in previously safe Liberal seats,” Senator Ryan told ABC Radio National.

“Seats that are the cradle of the Liberal Party, the birthplace of the Liberal Party — across Kew, Brighton, Sandringham, we may have lost the seat of Box Hill, it looks like we will hold on to Hawthorn.

“These voters, who our electoral base, this is out real base of the Liberal Party, they sent us a message.

“They don’t want a litmus tests for what it means to be a Liberal.”

Senator Ryan said commentators should not dictate to the party about what its views should be on climate change and social issues because the party’s voters may have different views.

“A lot of Liberal voters are very conservative in their own lives … but they’re pretty liberal in their political outlook,” Senator Ryan said.

“They don’t want views rammed down their throat and they don’t want views rammed down other people’s throats.

“That is not the path to electoral success, and I’m sick of being lectured to by people who aren’t members of the party, by people who have never stood on polling booths, about what it means to be a real Liberal.

“Our voters sent us a message and that is some of the noise that comes out of this place (Canberra) and some of the noise that comes out of commentators about what it means to be a Liberal, well Liberal voters want us to focus on their issues.”

144. struth

The mussie problem is the same as the aboriginal problems.
    Government caused the problems in the first place and use it as an excuse to grow government and therefore control.

The correct course of action on our imported murdering terrorists is of course to hang the politicians who allowed it in the first place, as an example to others , with their heads on spikes around the city.
    Not by allowing government to grow and control our lives using the excuse that they need to because of their own policies.
    Some wacky people might even come to the conclusion that this was the plan all along?!
    They are accomplices in every terror attack on our shores.
    They are killing us.
    Isn’t it time to return the favour?
    Of course we won’t.
    We are decent people, and they are the traitorous, murderous scum of the earth.

145. Entropy

All iMessages cannot be accessed by security organisations. All new Apple machines have hardware encryption on the fly for internal storage. You don’t even have to think about it. Apple and its privacy/market differentiation strategy/stance is one of the key targets here. Everyone using apple devices, not just those that have gone out of their way with software/ hardware encryption tools cannot be read by authorities. Which is ironic given Apple and Cook’s stance on just about every other politician position these days.

A further irony of course is Maocolon used a self erasing instant messaging app to plot and engineer his coup against Abbott. For thee and not for me.

Child sex predator released despite risk warnings
    Thomas Chamberlin, Kate Kyriacou, The Courier-Mail
    35 minutes ago

A SICK child predator who [email protected] a four-year-old girl and is deemed a risk of reoffending by psychiatrists has been released into the community.

Mark John Corben, 42, was convicted of [email protected] the girl and downloading thousands of images of child exploitation material.

Three psychiatrists said if released into the community Corben would be a moderate risk of reoffending with a child and a high risk of downloading child exploitation material.

The psychiatrists said he suffered from [email protected], personality disorder, anxiety disorder and past periods of depression

147. Baldrick

Senior Liberal MP and Senate President, Scott Ryan, said the party was losing “its electoral base” who didn’t want conservative views “rammed down their throat”.

So much for the ‘broad church’ theory.
    Stupid.Fucking.Liberals

I have never seen such an orchestrated push by police and “security” agencies in this country to monster, bully and direct parliamentarians. In normal circumstances, that is a criminal offence, by the way.

149. woolfe

Unless you have a smart phone in your pocket.

Very true, always listening, and thanks to apple face recognition they now have your photo as well.

C.L.
    #2872086, posted on November 26, 2018 at 9:35 am

1940s?

151. Someone explain this voting pattern in my electorate:

The booth with the most expensive real estate: ALP outpolls Libs 3 to 1
    The booth with the cheapest real estate: Libs outpoll ALP 2 to 1

(primaries)

152. Mater

Idiot!

153. Myrddin Seren

Today:

Stardate 2020.

The bubbleworld of Canberra, inside the APS Beltway.

Speaker: “A second reading of the Stephen Conroy Opinion Media Control Bill” ( named in honour of the man who originated the idea ).

“Senator Ryan ?”

Ryan: “For !”

Outdoor workers in the NT may have to start work at 4am to avoid climate change
    LAUREN ROBERTS, NT News
    November 25, 2018 1:30am

TERRITORY tradies are being warned they may have to start work before the crack of dawn in future to avoid the “excessive heat stress” brought on by climate change.

A new study published the American Geophysical Union found by the end of this century, outdoor workers would need to start their shift about five hours earlier to avoid the midday heat and meet current occupational health and safety guidelines.

OzMistNT co-owner Luke Hoolihan was used to working in the Territory heat, but said the humidity some days made it challenging.

“Starting 4am wouldn’t bother us in the slightest, if it’s cooler, that’s great,” he said.

“Our business is about heat mitigation, so during our installations generally it is a lot cooler anyway.”

155. Infidel Tiger

Strike a light.

As well as punting Jim Molan, the NSW Libs have also given Peter Phelps an unwinnable position at state level.

Only a sodomite or a fool could vote for that disgraceful party.

156. zyconoclast

Victoria is Australia’s California.

I suspect with the vote heard ponzi continuing for the next 4 years, there may never be a non Labor state government again.

With projections of the Melbourne population set to exceed Sydney –> more Vic seats in Federal Parliament.

Justice Peter Hidden granted bail to man.

158. Infidel Tiger

8 at 9:40 am
    Someone explain this voting pattern in my electorate:

The booth with the most expensive real estate: ALP outpolls Libs 3 to 1
    The booth with the cheapest real estate: Libs outpoll ALP 2 to 1

(primaries)

Very simple.

Conservatism can only exist when there is something to conserve. A whole generation of Australians are priced out of home ownership and now exacting their revenge. It will be felt hardest where housing is most expensive.

159. Cactus

In response to incoherent rambler;

Perhaps 2 things.
    1) People who are PAYG wage earners get screwed by the system and have to pay tax – there is no real deductions and the tax imposts keep coming. People who can corporatize can turn their income into capital gains which are taxed a lot less. They can run their lives through their business and so are less sensitive to tax hikes.
    2) After a certain level of wealth – people start to care more about social issues because they can afford to. They are no longer scraping to get by – but can afford to virtue signal and impose rules on others. When you don’t have that wealth – you are more focused on yourself than others.

Thoughts?

160. Myrddin Seren

….found by the end of this century, outdoor workers would need to start their shift about five hours earlier to avoid the midday heat….

By the end of this century, an outdoor worker will be a robot with maybe, maybe, a human or two to keep an eye on things.

Whether that human or two will be sitting in air-conditioned comfort or not will depend on the availability of affordable electricity. Which is now a moot proposition.

Andrews won because he offered Victorian men free tampons.

162. zyconoclast

Thoughts?

You also live closer to the vote heards as you cannot afford to escape.

You see and feel the direct effect of socialism and demographic replacement.

163. Maybe Doctors and their wives (note the plural) versus non-unionized tradies/labourers.

Violent rapist Christopher William Empey on the run, could be hiding in Mansfield bushland
    Brigid O’Connell, Sunday Herald Sun
    November 25, 2018 8:38am

A violent convicted sex offender is on the run in central Victoria, after emptying his safe and removing his tracking bracelet the day before a court appearance.

Police believe Christopher William Empey, who has spent the past 16 years in jail after [email protected] and bashing a colleague, may be hiding in bushland around Mansfield.

The 46-year-old has significant bush survival skills and bought a new off-road motorbike this week.

165. struth

Maybe Memoryvault will jump in here.
    But I agree with him that the preferential compulsory voting system is completely undemocratic.
    The bonly difference is he believes in not playing, where I believe in still voting for a conservative party if one is available.
    I’ll never vote Liberals again as long as my hairy freckle points to the ground.
    But being an electoral anarchist won’t do any good at all.

So in my view, what happened in Victoria is easily, easily explained.

They now have brought in enough left wing immigrants and the schools have now brainwashed the young’ns sufficiently so you’ll never get a right wing party in power ever again.

Also the SFL didn’t distinguish themselves as an opposition at all.
    And lets face it, was absolutely useless.
    Even Cory (nice guys come last) Bernardi manages to get himself on Sky news after dark.
    Never saw the Victorian opposition leader once.

The Liberal party must be wiped from the earth.

That there even exists a “left wing” element in the Liberal party at all means it isn’t a conservative party at all.
    Obviously.
    When economic left wingers like Tony Abbott are considered extreme right wing whack jobs BY MEMBERS OF HIS OWN PARTY, anyone voting for a Liberal needs their head read.

166. Mater

Andrews won because he offered Victorian men free tampons.

And we’ll need them. By the time he finishes with us, we’ll be bleeding from every orifice.

167. Elizabeth (Lizzie) Beare

The booth with the most expensive real estate: ALP outpolls Libs 3 to 1
    The booth with the cheapest real estate: Libs outpoll ALP 2 to 1

Simples. University ‘education’ and lots of reading of the ‘quality’ press.
    All Guardianista types. Spooked by the climate hoax and pacifying Gaia.

Virtue signalers all.

168. Infidel Tiger

Andrews won because he offered Victorian men free tampons.

Excellent news if you suffer from blood noses.

Three “Your comment is awaiting moderation.” !

170. Snoopy

Someone explain this voting pattern in my electorate:

The booth with the most expensive real estate: ALP outpolls Libs 3 to 1
    The booth with the cheapest real estate: Libs outpoll ALP 2 to 1

(primaries)

1st booth – Senior public servants and Big Business bods. ie mates and mates.

2nd booth – Self-employed and aspirational employees. ie inconsequential nobodies.

171. struth

IR

The rich booth is where the public servants live.
    Really, in a socialist country, that’s it.
    Maybe they’re not public servants but they’ll be benefitting from excessive taxation in some way, while the poorer booth will be the opposite.

HMT Rohna – Wikipedia

HMT Rohna was a British India Steam Navigation Company passenger and cargo liner that …. At 1230 hrs on 25 November 1943 Rohna and four other troop ships left Oran in French Algeria. … The He 177As carried Henschel Hs 293 radio-guided, rocket-boosted glide bombs, almost 30 of which they launched at the convoy.

173. Mater

The booth with the most expensive real estate: ALP outpolls Libs 3 to 1

Doctors tend to like socialised healthcare and increased spending in the sector.

Thousands of years of different social history is why.
    In China and Vietnam the Confucian and Buddhist traditions have encouraged obedience.
    Meanwhile two millennia of bureaucratic control and culling of the testosterone enhanced has reduced the black sheep to a tiny minority.

In PNG the ones with the testosterone became the big men, and the fathers.
    That natural selective outcome is not going to change overnight.
    And the terrain is just as unforgiving to bureaucracy as it ever was.

Man bailed on sex charges ‘indecently assaulted girl, 13’
    The Daily Telegraph
    an hour ago

A NSW man given bail after being charged with five counts of sexually assaulting a teenage girl has been arrested for allegedly assaulting another young girl.

Police said the man was stopped by police at 1am yesterday in the Newcastle area with a 13-year-old girl and a 16-year-old boy in a car.

The teenage girl then informed police the driver had sexually assaulted her.

The man had been arrested in April this year on a raft of child sex charges including having sex with a person aged 14 to 16, possess child abuse material and impersonating a police officer.

The 28-year-old man arrested yesterday allegedly began grooming his victim in January this year and was arrested and charged in July where police opposed bail.

On July 24 and again on September 12 he was denied bail by Griffith District Court but four weeks ago was granted bail in the NSW Supreme Court and ordered to appear again in Griffith court.

He failed to appear on October 10 and had been wanted until his arrest yesterday. The children found with him yesterday were taken into the care of police.

176. Elizabeth (Lizzie) Beare

The people who came to America via Ellis Island longed, absolutely longed, to become American and vied to be selected during some fairly rigorous entry processes. And they did become proud Americans, in huge numbers, populating an almost empty bountiful land and living by the codes of the Declaration of Independence. They didn’t come to impose their own legal system on the new land.

It is very different to migration today, which needs to be well-considered and well-controlled, in part because there are so many millions now wanting to ‘migrate’. Controls need strengthening so that existing cultures and populations don’t become diminished and disappeared. Floods of people refusing to go through proper processes: that’s an ‘invasion’.

Bruce of Newcastle
    #2872115, posted on November 26, 2018 at 10:00 am

PNG used to have patrol officers.

178. thefrolickingmole

Farmer Gez

One of the fatality reports put out recently had a section on this.
    Apparently wasp nest fouled up part of the air line and the truck hit a windrow at about 90kph.

Many years ago one of the more boring jobs on one minesite was looking into the hose end of outside fire extinguishers because wasps were blocking them. Found out by a bloke responding to a fire who got fumed/smoked when the extinguisher he was trying to use didnt work because of the wasp nest.

M5 traffic chaos after fatal ute crash
    The Daily Telegraph
    November 26, 2018 6:54am

City-bound motorists on Sydney’s M5 motorway are being told to expect delays after a man was killed when his ute veered off the road, up an embankment and into a tree.

The man in his 30s died near the Henry Lawson Drive off-ramp, Milperra, earlier this morning, with one lane eastbound still closed at Heathcote Rd.

180. Controls need strengthening so that existing cultures and populations don’t become diminished and disappeared.

Tell that to the Picts and Angles!

181. Snoopy

This is what happens when madness is indulged and normalised.

Next Thursday, I will get a vaginawe. The procedure will last around six hours, and I will be in recovery for at least three months. Until the day I die, my body will regard the vagina as a wound; as a result, it will require regular, painful attention to maintain. This is what I want, but there is no guarantee it will make me happier. In fact, I don’t expect it to. That shouldn’t disqualify me from getting it.

Via Instapundit

182. Stimpson J. Cat

Too early Snoop.
    Haven’t had my coffee Jesus Christ.

183. Boambee John

hzhousewife at 0837

Go simpler.

Ask them what value the concept of a “Global Average Temperature” has when the temperature in different parts of the globe on any given day can vary between minus 50 and plus 40 (or even more in each direction).

Man buys storage unit from reality TV star for $700, finds $10m
    Staff writers, News Corp Australia Network
    November 25, 2018 10:54am

Reality TV star Dan Dotson from the US show Storage Wars said he just discovered that he sold a storage unit containing $US7.5 million ($A10 million) in cash for a measly $US500 ($700).

Dotson and his co-star wife Laura told The Blast that a random woman approached him at one of his auctions about the multimillion-dollar finding last week.

PNG used to have patrol officers.

Stack – I read this fairly recently. The archaeology is fascinating and what it shows about the anthropology is essential to the makeup of current PNG society.

Schoolies Bali chaos as violent Kuta brawl caught on camera
    Angelo Risso, The Daily Telegraph
    November 26, 2018 5:09am

A violent brawl has been caught on camera as school-leavers wreak havoc in Bali.

A large group of Schoolies were filmed spitting at each other on the streets of Kuta before engaging in an all-out brawl, stopping traffic.

Shirtless teenagers can be seen falling over in the middle of the road as they throw punches at one another, while cars and motorcycles can be heard beeping in the background.

Undercover police officers eventually showed up and brought the brawl to a close.

187. Myrddin Seren

Triggers idle curiosity.

One assumes the top Liberal Senate candidates are careerists hacks.

Ms Hughes—who has been on the verge of entering the Senate on multiple occasions but forced out by factional concessions and constitutional doubts—was preselected with 199 votes from members in Saturday’s contest. Mr Bragg secured 157 and Senator Molan 141. A longtime Liberal official, she won the top spot on the NSW ticket in 2016 but was forced to make way for former Liberal minister Concetta Fierravanti-Wells, a senior figure of the conservative faction.

Mr Bragg, a former acting federal director of the Liberal Party and Business Council of Australia campaigner, was promised a Senate spot after agreeing to withdraw from the preselection contest for the Wentworth byelection.

Yup – real depth of experience there.

This is droll:

One Liberal source expressed surprise at the result and said Special Minister of State Alex Hawke, a “soft right” factional powerbroker, abandoned Senator Molan.

“The irony is Jim Molan got done by the exact democratic reforms he wanted and the Prime Minister’s man Hawke got his person up instead,” said another source.

Looks back up – counts about 500 votes in total for the NSW Senate pre-selection. I suspect the membership has shrunk considerably, but even so, 500 votes in total suggests this is carefully hand-picked branch selectors – not a ‘democratic reform’.

So next question – who is the Nat who got the third spot ?

…with the third spot belonging to the Nationals’ candidate, businesswoman Perin Davey.

Hmmm – pretty checkered history of actual business people wanting to park their butts on the Senate leather for six or more years ?

What have we got on Perin Davey ?

Went to PLC.

Certificate IV in Rural Business Management Graduate – Australian Institute of Company Directors Graduate ( she did one course ), Certificate in Public Relations – University of Southern Queensland

So a real salt of the earth cocky ?

…lives by the Billabong Creek near Jerilderie in NSW

I guess that’s ‘rural’ ? Sounds very ‘Banjo Patterson’.

Any more:

…she denies being opposed to the $13 billion plan aimed at reducing excessive water extraction by agriculture and other industries in the Murray-Darling Basin.

Take that – bad farmers.

Ms Davey wants to see environmental water holdings held by NSW, Victoria and South Australia tapped where possible to help farmers get through the drought.

Get out of jail free with that caveat !

and

Ms Davey, …. also parts ways with conservative MPs, saying Australia should remain a signatory to the Paris climate accord.

She accepts the climate is changing but remains coy about what might be driving it even though she says “we should always be striving for less carbon-dioxide pollution”.

OMG – NSW rural Cats – this is your next Senator.

Start digging a bunker and stockpiling the essential B’s – beans, bacon, bullets, bog roll and bottled water.

Schoolies warned of chlamydia risk – ABC News (Australian …
    Nov 23, 2010 – As thousands of teenagers take part in Schoolies Week celebrations, doctors are warning young people about a rapid spread of chlamydia.

189. Elizabeth (Lizzie) Beare

In Kenya and Tanzania we saw some fairly heavy-handed voices from the top (corrupt, yes, authoritarian, certainly) making quite significant improvements to the lives of the ordinary people, by insisting that they take responsibility for their own surroundings (mandatory clean ups), and drop their local corruption on pain of severe penalties. Plenty of evidence of some Chinese-led modelling in all of this as the Chinese moved in to build big infrastructure on cheap loans that would be foreclosed soon enough.

Democracy came far too soon to PNG.

190. thefrolickingmole

Few interviews from the Frog protests.

Worth a read, combination of solid thinking (tax on energy & transport affects everything) and the usual cargo cult “the rich should pay more”.

Plus the French apparently still let the government r***e the corpses of their deceased relatives.

To give you an example; my aunt died recently and left €40,000. She worked all her life, she paid her taxes and charges, but the government took 60% of that. Does that seem fair?

191. Boambee John

incoherent rambler
    #2872079, posted on November 26, 2018 at 9:27 am

But, but, but the ASIO boss told us we have to protect his multitude of informants in the Islamic community!

Elizabeth (Lizzie) Beare
    #2872132, posted on November 26, 2018 at 10:20 am

193. Elizabeth (Lizzie) Beare

Looks like an interesting book, Bruce of Newcastle.

I have a certain interest in PNG, as I was there on a student visit in some fairly early times.
    Could say more, but best not. Will share some tales with those at Cat drinkies though.

I am very circumspect about what moi, moi, moi tales I deliver around here. 😀

194. Elizabeth (Lizzie) Beare

Coming to you courtesy of a Shorten Labor government, first term or second. Eat the rich.

195. Myrddin Seren

OMG – the Bird Filter nails you if there is a ‘Cardinal sin’ word in a link header !!

Second go around….

+++++++++++++++++

Triggers idle curiosity.

One assumes the top Liberal Senate candidates are careerists hacks ?

Yup – real depth of experience there.

This is droll:

So next question – who is the Nat who got the third spot ?

What have we got in Perin Davey ?

Went to PLC.

So a real salt of the earth cocky ?

…lives by the Billabong Creek near Jerilderie in NSW

I guess that’s ‘rural’ ? Sounds very ‘Banjo Patterson’.

Any more:

Take that, bad farmers !!

Get out of jail free with that caveat !

and

OMG – NSW rural Cats – this is your next Senator.

Lizzie – I suspect what PNG is running isn’t really democracy, it’s more a form of feudalism.

If you think of the MPs as barons it makes more sense. The baron has to deliver for the population of his barony or the village headmen get together and get themselves a new baron who will do a better job. The marked improvement is this mostly happens without blood being shed.

Christianity has helped too.

197. Elizabeth (Lizzie) Beare

Will share some tales with those at Cat drinkies though.

I have a few interesting old photographs too. 🙂

198. Elizabeth (Lizzie) Beare

Yep. Road still belong kiap.

199. zyconoclast

One assumes the top Liberal Senate candidates are careerists hacks

Careerists hacks are our strength?

200. Elizabeth (Lizzie) Beare

Christianity has helped too.

As it has throughout the South Pacific.

When on the Paul Gaugin cruise around Tahiti and Cook Islands I purchased a painting that was hanging for sale in the Piano Room. It is called Chapeaux a l’Eglise, a lovely study of island ladies in big brimmed hats inside a church on Sunday, with some of their thoughtful gentlemen sitting chatting up the back. A reminder to me daily of how much Christianity has done for these islands, and how it is still holding the fort strongly today.

Looks like an interesting book, Bruce of Newcastle.

Free download. I read it on a Kindle, although that makes it harder with the diagrams. Maybe an iPad would be better.

And a hat tip to Testpattern who originally linked it. I disagree with a lot of what he says, but that is just differing interpretations of the data, which is what this is. The report is very readable btw.

202. carbon-dioxide pollution

Under a Rambler government, anyone who uses that phrase will be loaded into the tumbril.

203. hzhousewife

Bit too complicated for this 10 year old even !

204. “Global Average Temperature”

With humans and most mammals, the generally accepted technique is to insert a thermometer into an orifice.

It is clear that the weather station in the the Dannograd* CBD should be used exclusively for measuring “Global Average Temperature”.

*Dannograd is the undisputed arsehole of the earth.

Josh Frydenberg this morning says that Robert Menzies established the Liberals as a “progressive” party. This is one of the hot new (old) Wet takes on contemporary politics. To wit: Bob Menzies would have supported free tampons, sexually grooming primary school children and importing thousands of African deadbeats into our capital cities. That’s what Ming was really trying to achieve from the start.

206. Eyrie

I just read Hal GP Colebatch’s “Fragile Flame”. About the uniqueness and vulnerabilities of technical civilization.
    Interesting read and he and I both are worried that our society has forgotten what it takes as we descend back into savagery.
    One bit had a small section on African despot’s one of whom denied cannibalism but bits of a math teacher were found in his fridge.
    Hal is also a Poul Anderson fan as well as a published SF author.

207. Eyrie

“*Dannograd is the undisputed arsehole of the earth.”
    No, that is Port Phillip Bay. Dannograd is 5okm up it.

208. Infidel Tiger

Frydenberg and the Liberals can’t stop lying.

No wonder Menzies abandoned the party late in life.

The Liberals now embody the very worst of Boomerism and corporatism. They oxxffer precisely zero to any normal Australian Family and less than zero to anyone starting out in adult life.

Pig Iron Bob was really Free Tampons Bob?

210. Dr Faustus

Robert Menzies lived and operated in an entirely different world. It’s quite breathtaking when the Liberal Party nomenklatura feels able to reach back to 1944 to ‘discover’ political support for embracing Big State government and chasing Labor to the bottom with gift TV’s.

Frydenberg is relying on who could give him the lie being dead.

211. Has anyone here read the “Guns of August”?

Just read his essay in the latest Quadrant. Both parts marvellous:

Trump Derangement Syndrome Intensifies

Trump Derangement Syndrome (Part II)

The Trump Presidency has exposed deep and hitherto unsuspected levels of corruption, perhaps mere self-seeking, perhaps part of a larger, more treasonous agenda, in the “higher” Washington political class, including much of the media and parts of the Department of Justice and the FBI. Watching the current US political news brings to mind a passage in C.S. Lewis’s 1945 novel That Hideous Strength: “Here was a world of plot within plot, crossing and double-crossing, of lies and graft and stabbing in the back … and a contemptuous guffaw for the fool who lost the game.”

RTWT.

Has anyone here read the “Guns of August”?

By Barbara Tuchman? Several times. A classic.

214. Confused Old Misfit

Has anyone here read the “Guns of August”?

A very long, long time ago and I was in another country very far, far away from that in which I now abide.

Menzies was hated by Doc Evatt and Eddie Ward. Why was Lyons not called pig iron Joe?

216. By Barbara Tuchman?

I’m thinking:
    Belgium -> Taiwan
    France -> Japan/Sth Korea
    Russia -> Russia
    UK -> USA
    Germany -> China

Same setup.

Waddya thinK?

217. Dr Faustus

Guaranteed.
    But not just the ‘rich’. ‘Those who can afford to pay more‘ will figure strongly in fairly funding windmillinery, NDIS, Treaties, CFMEU infrastructure and DiNatale deindustrialisation.

And who fits that category better than dead people leaving stuff on the table?

Masterful essays by Hal G.P. Colebatch. Thanks for posting, Bruce.

219. thefrolickingmole

Stimpson J. Cat

The regressive left & pro-Eurocrats already have an explanation as to the reason for the French protests..

Russians..

220. Qld commenting that the intensity of the fire covering 9000 hectares fire is unusual for that area.
    Massive area under native title also.
    You can feel it in your heart’: Indigenous groups celebrate landmark Gladstone-Bundaberg native title decision

Bounded by Port Curtis (Rockhampton), Callide Power station, Ports of Gladstone and Bundaberg ? Fraser Island and various mining ventures. And fresh water.

QCD2017/010 – Bailai, Gurang, Gooreng Gooreng, Taribelang Bunda People

Poor firefighters and volunteers ……………….
    I expect the greenhouse gas emissions will be immeasurable. Hence no economic value can be value-added to such a geographical calamity. Including the coral and turtles being affected by debris and soil run-off.

221. Entropy

That’s rubbish country through Deepwater NP.

222. Robber Baron

Booth 1 – Tax receivers

Booth 2 – Tax payers

Outdoor workers in the NT may have to start work at 4am to avoid climate change

Fat good your solar panel is gonna be if there is no sun to power your leaf blower.

223. Ubique

A cost-benefit challenge:

1. What reduction in atmospheric CO2 – in parts per million – has resulted from Australia’s total climate change efforts? (I’d be surprised if it’s even a fraction of 1 ppm).
    2.What has this reduction cost?
    3. What amelioration of global average temperature has this reduction achieved? (Theoretically will do).

224. Boambee John

This goes back to the comment about Labor votes in the wealthy areas and non-Labor/Green votes in the poor areas.

Those with wealth can afford to indulge in green and social engineering fantasies. Those struggling to make ends can’t afford to save Gaia, and don’t want their children corrupted at school. They are against wasting money on fantasies and are socially conservative.

There are votes there for the party that wants them.

225. Fat Tony

incoherent rambler
    #2872146, posted on November 26, 2018 at 10:43 am
    carbon-dioxide pollution

Rambler – don’t be a buttwad – the correct term is “carbon pollution” cos this gives the impression of that dirty sooty stuff, not the life-giving CO2 which is what they’re aiming at (for the destruction of the West)

226. Snoopy

Looks like Danno is quite keen to provide murderous loon, Fiona Patten, with a taxpayer funded make job.

Among those to lose their spot will be the Reason Party’s Fiona Patten, who was influential in the introduction of assisted-dying laws and the safe-injecting-room trial last term.

When asked about Ms Patten’s future, Premier Daniel Andrews indicated she may still have a role in shaping the state.

“I think that is a loss for the Parliament, she is a very good person, who lives her values and worked very hard these last four years,” he said.

“She’d have not only very good references from many of the ministers in my Government who have worked closely with her, but just her record tells you she’s someone who could play all manner of different roles.

1 3 4 5