Wednesday Forum: December 19, 2018

1,433 Responses to Wednesday Forum: December 19, 2018

1. Oh come on

I hope you Sydneysiders didn’t forget to renew your comprehensive car insurance.

This happened in Perth a few years ago. Loads of nearly new cars written off. Your car has to be pretty pricey to make it worth repairing hail damage to bodywork.

Favourite No1 son (works for an insurance company in MV claims ) has just been called back into work, to handle the influx of calls

If it is as big as the hail storm that trashed Sydney it will be even more expensive than it was then.

1999 Sydney hailstorm

In 1999 they didn’t have acres upon acres of solar panels on all the roofs.

Greens will be disturbed that Gaia has found fault with them by smashing their pitiful offerings of renewbull electricity, so they’ll have to sacrifice some more virgins to her (oops did I just commit a gender crime?)

3. mh

Mark Meadows
    ‏@RepMarkMeadows
    9h9 hours ago

Tonight after votes, around 7:30pm, my @freedomcaucus colleagues and I will be on the House floor to demand Congress vote on a spending bill with border wall funding. We promised we would. It’s time to deliver. No more excuses.

We’re ready to fight.

Mark Meadows: President Trump, Veto this Spending Bill, Fight for the Wall

4. Oh come on

In some cases companies could read/edit users’ private messages

So if FB exercises that level of editorial control over its users’ content, how would it not be liable for defamatory content?

5. Makka

Loads of nearly new cars written off.

Once saw close to 300 new Volvo cars written off by hail storm damage in of all places, Riyadh. Pool ball sized meteors of ice smashed up the Truck fleet as well. Get caught in that and it for the ER.

6. Myrddin Seren

By having a venal Congress schmooged by the best lobbyists money can buy ???

Bruce

If only we had a RET high enough that would prevent these hail storms. Climate scientists like Simon Holmes a Court is the only person in Australia who can save us.

8. Nob

You want a gender gap, look at workplace fatalities.

Over 90% male whichever way you cut it.

9. Oh come on

By having a venal Congress schmooged by the best lobbyists money can buy ???

The courts will set the precedent, not Congress.

Every day, I wake up and think how lucky is this place having Simon Holmes a court as a citizen. We’re so lucky he never stayed on in the US. Our very own Bill Gates but with less hair.

simon holmes à court
    @simonahac

energy transition specialist: shahttp://catallaxyfiles.com/2018/12/19/wednesday-forum-december-19-2018/comment-page-3/#comment-2889674ring knowledge, informing opinions. change is inevitable: it’s now just a question of speed. data driven. likes≠endorsements

A data/evidence driven maniac.

Weather bomb with many Flanneries headed my way. The Sydney one wiped out a company ute – Savage Hail Attack.

I am expecting Hailageddon.

Simon Holmes a Court to the Lodge.

13. Mitch M.

classical_hero
    #2889635, posted on December 20, 2018 at 6:01 pm
    Mitch M, God is not cruel. The world we live in is punishment for our sins. God made it plainly clear the consequences of disobedience would be. Before man sinned, God called the world “very good”. We certainly don’t live in a good world but rather a world that is cursed and waiting for redemption.

Circular argument. You start with the premise that God is not cruel and then make up some baloney, once again that catch all original sin argument(don’t you know how stupid that sounds to a non-believer?), about how we are responsible for all the evil in the world. My life is great and by your reckoning I am steeped in sin yet others who are almost saintly suffer travails not of their own making. That’s your God , one who dispenses blessings in a way that if done by a human we would consider immoral if not outright sociopathic.

I am consistently amazed at how religious people are so reluctant to admit that perhaps there might be something wrong with their world view. How comforting it is to rationalise away the inconvenient bits of our world view.

14. Oh come on

A data/evidence driven maniac.

What a self-important cockhead. Thinks he’s a big swinging dick, like Trumble’s fuckwadded brat.

likes≠endorsements

Who is seeking your endorsement, you absolute tool?

15. Oh come on

Remember Alex Trumble’s tweet when Dr Sapphic won Wentworth? “My work here is done.”

And then he fucked off back to Singers. Seriously? You’re taking credit for that? What a complete knob.

16. Stimpson J. Cat

The sooner you Sane idiots all realize:
    1. God is Mentally Ill like me(or I’m like Him, let’s be honest.)
    2. It’s why Mentally Ill people can all hear Him.
    3. Mentally Ill people are the closest most of you will ever get to seeing a real Angel.
    4. This basically means I am literally a Bald Mentally Ill Angel.

:The better off you will all be.

Amen.
    😁

Not just Australia, but the world is lucky to have Simon Holmes a’ court on Twitter, directing us.

18. Rae

after 5 boring years, a group of kids who’ve known nothing other than detention on nauru could do with an uplifting experience — your small donation will help deliver!

Give them some excitement, Simon. Charter a plane one-way to Iran/Iraq, put them and their parents on it (with a couple of GPs, and yourself as chaperone) . Don’t come back.

Simon Holmes a’ Court could solve the coming climate disaster in a day. Half a day even.

The next Pope should be Simon Holmes a’ court and he’s not even Catholic.

21. Myrddin Seren

Okay – who hacked Rae’s account ??

22. Oh come on

That’s your God , one who dispenses blessings

I don’t have a god in this fight but I’m pretty sure believers would say God is not a vending machine.

23. DrBeauGan

Stimpson J. Cat
    #2889685, posted on December 20, 2018 at 7:11 pm

The sooner you Sane idiots all realize:
    1. God is Mentally Ill like me(or I’m like Him, let’s be honest.)
    2. It’s why Mentally Ill people can all hear Him.
    4. This basically means I am literally a Bald Mentally Ill Angel.

:The better off you will all be.

Amen.

At least you know you’re a nut, stimpo. I thought of pointing out their dottiness to some of the religious whackos here, but then decided not to on the grounds that it’s Christmas.

On your bike Mark Zuckerberg. Simon Holmes a’ Court for CEO of Facebook.

No no.. Simon Holmes a’ Court for Fed chairman and global energy czar.

26. Myrddin Seren

Sean Davis of the Federalist takes issue with Pope Vladimir Fonzie on theology.

Stimpson – the normies are stepping up. You need to get a Twitter account and lead the charge !

27. Armadillo

ANZ branch in Tamworth shut down at 1:30 PM today. Security doors shut down to protect a local from a Sudansese dude from QLD. Apparently he looked at him the wrong way or something. Came into the branch and attacked him. Sounds like a “smack attack”.

No reporting in the media at this stage.

28. Myrddin Seren

Simon Holmes a’ Court for….

Kevin Rudd’s manager.

29. Rebel with cause

Why is Scott Morrison such a total try hard loser? I’ve never seen a politician so gagging to be liked by everyone, and that is saying something.

Visiting Iraq in his Invictus Games jacket, giving away footballs and trying to get the troops engaged in some sort of forced sing-along. If our military wasn’t so emasculated the soldiers would have thrown a coup.

30. Rebel with cause

Scott Morrison is a massive try hard loser. If our military still had a spine they would have engaged a coup while he was visiting Iraq trying to ingratiate himself with Invictus Games swag and footballs.

31. Armadillo

Sudanese dude was from Towoomba. Striding up and down the bank Windows before storming in and hitting a guy from Werris Creek.

32. Oh come on

I’m always suspicious of atheists who know nothing of theology except what’s been relayed to them by other atheists. They generally understand very little about philosophy, too.

Many exceptionally brilliant minds believe in God and have believed in God throughout the ages. I’m not saying that means you ought to as well, but I am saying is that maybe they aren’t or weren’t crazy and stupid – isn’t it more likely that they’ve possessed knowledge and insight that you lack?

Again, I’m not saying that because vastly more intelligent people than yourself believe in God, then you should, too. However, maybe try a little intellectual humility? I know this is something atheists struggle with colossally, but give it a try.

33. Caveman

This is a G about Simone Holmes a Court …yes??

34. Snoopy

I suspect quite a number of homeowners who installed solar panels would fail to declare them to their insurance company. Firstly, many are motivated by saving money so won’t be keen on paying increased insurance premiums. Secondly, surely Gaia is not going to punish true believers.

35. Armadillo

Dude was 7 foot tall. The Sheliahs are all tellers and the manager is gay. FMD. These people have no idea.

Is he the new messiah? Is Simon Holmes a’court the world’s energy messiah?

37. RobK

Simon Holmes a’ Court the Dalai Lama of mystical energy powered by subsidies.

Caveman
    #2889702, posted on December 20, 2018 at 7:30 pm

This is a G about Simone Holmes a Court …yes??

Don’t be silly. Simon Holmes a’court is the messiah and the Janet is the new virgin Mary.

39. Armadillo

Is he the new messiah? Is Simon Holmes a’court the world’s energy messiah?

The new energy messiah is Trump.

40. DrBeauGan

Isn’t it more likely that they’ve possessed knowledge and insight that you lack?

I like your chutzpah. The idea that I should demonstrate proper humility by believing what you do.

The statistical evidence is that you picked up your beliefs from your family and friends. If you’d been born in India, you’d probably have been a Hindu. Look at the geographic distribution of the different faiths. And you contradict each other, so you can’t all be right.

But you could all be wrong. And since none of you can convince all the others by appealing to the evidence, none of you can convince me.

You don’t have your faith on the basis of evidence. So I don’t take you seriously.

41. Armadillo

Eradicate “subsidies” and no one wants to buy your product.

@QandA I cannot believe Q&A has not had world-renowned climate and alternative energy expert, Simon Holmes a’@simonahac on the panel. Please, in 2019 let’s have alternative our energy messiah on the program.

43. Oh come on

The idea that I should demonstrate proper humility by believing what you do.

You have misunderstood me. I’m not saying this. And you’re making assumptions about my beliefs based on a stereotype of what you think people like me believe. Don’t forget, now – you don’t have a clue what I believe.

44. Frank

First we kill all of the people that learned how to speak at management seminars.

Can someone show me how to get the official “Yield Curve” to come up on the St Louis FRED charts?

Is that the way it works? They bunch up before a recession, but might be a year or two before anything much happens so 2020 is the start of the recession by that metric (which isn’t particularly reliable given that in 1998 it started heading into a recession and pulled out of it again.

I think there’s still time enough to get your panic in early.

46. DrBeauGan

You believe atheists are wrong.

Yes, it is foolishness. St Paul made that perfectly plain in his letter to the Christians at Corinth. You’re not being particularly original.

48. Oh come on

In fact, DrB, your diagnosis of me is entirely incorrect. Again, a little intellectual humility on your part wouldn’t go astray.

Tel

In Sept/Oct this bond ETF was trading below 112. It’s now trading above 121. The speed of the inversion is pretty incredible really.

50. Oh come on

You believe atheists are wrong.

No, I don’t, actually. They may be right.

On a serious note, what the fuck was trump thinking, putting a lawyer with no economic training in the Fed big seat. What was he thinking?

52. Infidel Tiger

Kurt Schlichter
    Kurt Schlichter
    @KurtSchlichter
    11h
    Remember, our Justice Department found exactly zero big Wall Street criminals to prosecute after the 2008 crash.
    Zero.

This is what corporatism reaps: Endless wars, open borders, unsound money, bailouts for Wall St.

53. Top Ender

Awaiting takeoff at Sydney Airport. All flights suspended for an hour due to storms.

Then into plane; usual palaver. Pilot has just come on and said all flying suspended while another cell comes through.

I bet Howard Hughes would have taken off.

54. That’s one theory. Another is that most of them were raised in a culture of believers and didn’t question things that could have got them burnt at the stake.

You constantly retail this theory but its self-defeating, because it implies that your own beliefs as well as those of the scientific community mentioned in Mitch’s original comment also simply reflect the culture in which you/ they are raised. But let us set that aside, when we inspect the actual beliefs of those OCO is referring to, say Plato or Aristotle or Plotinus or Maimonides or Aquinas and so on, it is simply nonsense to say that their beliefs reflected their cultures in anything but a superficial sense.

Hailageddon here has been postponed until my car is in the open air supermarket carpark.

56. Snoopy

The Fed spent 8 years propping up Obama. He was looking for a new broom.

57. DrBeauGan

Oh come on
    #2889721, posted on December 20, 2018 at 7:57 pm
    You believe atheists are wrong.

No, I don’t, actually. They may be right.

Then we seem to be in agreement. Hold that thought.

58. Shy Ted

Superstorm! We laugh at your superstorm. Click forward to see the Xmas period. Probably never get any cooler ever again.

I was reflecting on your earlier comment about the wonderfulness of the natural world as I had my evening walk, Dover.

Then, in the distance, I saw a rather scruffy small dog run across the 7th. But it wasn’t a run, more of an ungainly lope, but quite fast. It stopped at the edge of the rough and looked back at me, then scuttled up a tree.

It was a koala.

60. RobK

What was he thinking?
    Perhaps he was looking for someone who would be convinced by argument.
    Just as Trump is not a career politician, perhaps a non career chairman is more agile.

61. Caveman

On the charts with the DOW , I thought it was a little ahead of its self. Chart wise its showing a double top ,theres more to fall maybe we see DoW around 20,000 to 21,000. Its all healthy, just part of the show.

Yeah im looking for someone to believe in where do i throw money at Simone Holmes a Court…will he take paypal? Oh great one please give me a sign.

62. Shy Ted

Has Leigh Sales been on the Magda Szubanski weight gain diet?

I bet Howard Hughes would have taken off.

In a plane made of birch, no less.

64. DrBeauGan

They were pre-enlightenment, recently they’ve given up burning heretics. Nowadays they just get them the sack. My culture encouraged scepticism and doubt. That’s gone now, but for a time it worked and I absorbed it in my formative years. Had I been raised in seventh century Sweden I might have believed in Odin and Thor. Fortunately, I wasn’t.

I was raised to think Truth is important and can sometimes be found by extreme honesty and hard work, or at least we can get closer to it. And that believing things because those around you do is very unreliable, although it may improve your social life. So yes, I am a product of my culture to some extent, but my culture didn’t offer certainties, it offered tools for pursuing truth and a conviction it was worth pursuing.

65. Snoopy

Shy Ted
    #2889735, posted on December 20, 2018 at 8:08 pm
    Has Leigh Sales been on the Magda Szubanski weight gain diet?

I thought that the other day. Divorce must be suiting her.

Maybe that’s just noise though? Seems like these numbers flibber around a bit. Hold fast dude!

Recession is at least 6 months off says I … keeping the powder dry, not worried.

67. Boambee John

JC
    #2889689, posted on December 20, 2018 at 7:17 pm
    The next Pope should be Simon Holmes a’ court and he’s not even Catholic.

Neither is the present one!

And you contradict each other, so you can’t all be right.

Ah…that pesky law of non-contradiction.

I wonder how many Eastern religions besides Christianity would get a pass on it?

Certainly not Zen, for starters.

It’s a self-driving bus, doesn’t matter whose in the seat. Those things are soooo safe.

Seriously though, watch this number here … https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/PPIACO

It’s in the sweet range between 200 and 210 which seems to be something of a Fed target range. They won’t allow it to either drop or gain too far. The USD has been operating as a commodity token and it doesn’t get better than that. The bus is driving itself nicely.

If they want more inflation from here, they just reduce the payment of interest on reserves and the banks start leveraging up. We haven’t come to that, but we will. The Fed can’t fix all the world’s problems but they are in a great position to defend the USD.

Much bigger issue is all the liabilities all over the US government that can’t be paid. That’s not something the Fed caused to happen, dumb government has promised too much… consequence? Someone won’t get what was promised.

70. Frank

In a plane made of birch, no less.

It was spruce wasn’t it.

Belgian prime minister Charles Michel resigns over migrant crisis days after riots rocked Brussels

I say: “I wanna migrant crisis, a migrant crisis of my own.”

(Apologies to Joe Strummer.)

About a year in to Bill Shorten’s premiership will do nicely.

It was spruce wasn’t it.

Nicknamed the Spruce Goose, it was actually made of birch.

73. H B Bear

An old fave joins Teh Dumb with the man who lost the unlosable election Dr John Hewson bringing his unique insights to us all. Again and again and again …

74. DrBeauGan

Certainly not Zen, for starters.

Zen is big on the limitations of language. The difference between mathematicians and zenji is that when mathematicians find that language is inadequate, we make a better one.

The law of non-contradiction isn’t a law in any useful sense. It’s a convention of how to use words like and, or, and not that allows us to construct and use complicated arguments. This has turned out to be useful.

The law of non-contradiction isn’t a law in any useful sense.

OK…you might want to re-think that, Dr. BG..

I’m sure we’re all gracious enough to forget it was ever typed when you come to your senses.

76. Top Ender

Still sitting here.

No, an announcement!

Hydraulic system has broken down. Off we get.

If I see that leprechaun….

77. bespoke

Frank
    #2889744, posted on December 20, 2018 at 8:26 pm
    In a plane made of birch, no less.
    It was spruce wasn’t it.

Spruce Goose.

Ah…dinner is about to be served…tonight we dine with the Queen, i.e. at 8:00pm.

Time for one more G&T.

79. Robber Baron

Abbo culture as far as l have seen first hand over 50 plus years is that of violence, crime and drunkeness. I grew up in the inner north of Melbourne and went to primary school with abbos, went to their houses and had to avoid their roving gangs in the evenings. There is nothing to about their culture to celebrate.

And now we have to endure preambles to every event paying respects to abbos! These mad left morons must be kidding themselves or playing the greatest joke on us. We must resist the left. We must remove power and money from them.

80. RobK

If I see that leprechaun….

He did that?☺

81. DrBeauGan

OK…you might want to re-think that, Dr. BG..

Nope. None of the logical rules are “laws”. Your education needs to be brought up to date. There are laws made by parliamentary process, and there are things called laws of nature, these being different things. Calling them both “laws” is a metaphor, and sometimes embarrassing. Calling the laws of logic laws is even more embarrassing.

Try to get past Aristotle and George Boole. There’s been a lot of work done since then. Including a number of different logics.

82. Zyconoclast

A federal judge on Wednesday took the extraordinary step of ordering that asylum seekers who sued after their deportation be returned to the U.S. to have their claims heard anew, ruling against the Trump administration’s revised asylum policies.

83. Steve trickler

This quake really shook things up, religiously, philosophically and politically. Possibly gave a rise and shift to atheism at the time?

The Portuguese Empire dropped to it’s knees after this.

And “Seismology” was born.

84. Speedbox

Fun fact.

The mother of Buzz Aldrin……

her maiden name was….

wait for it…….

Moon.

(ok, I’ll go back to my corner)

85. Makka:

I got there about two weeks after that event.
    Apparently most of the injuries were from idiots rushing out into the hailstorm and beseeching Allah to stop the hail!
    Whack!

86. Zyconoclast

They couldn’t wait for a MENA to kill them in Europe…

Mother pays tribute to Scandinavian murdered alongside her friend in Morocco as man is arrested on suspicion of slitting their throats

Maren Ueland, 28, from Norway, and her friend Louisa Vesterager Jespersen, 24, from Denmark, were found with their throats cut near the village of Imlil in Morocco’s High Atlas mountains on Monday.

87. DrBeauGan

The Portuguese Empire dropped to it’s knees after this.

And “Seismology” was born.

That was a loving, benevolent God doing us all.a bit of good. Or possibly punishing us for Eve eating the apple.

88. vr

I was at Chadstone today. Most mid-tier brands were on sale. Sales before Chritmas were never a thing. Things must be bad.

89. I was raised to think Truth is important and can sometimes be found by extreme honesty and hard work, or at least we can get closer to it. And that believing things because those around you do is very unreliable, although it may improve your social life.

This was true of Plato and Aristotle and Plotinus and Aquinas and Leibniz and Clarke too so what you say above doesn’t actually help your theory.

I’m always interested to watch people slagging off Christianity yet benefiting from the fruits of its labour. Anyone with eyes can see that the most successful nations are the ones with the most solid Christian basis in law, morality and science. (Yes I include Japan, who was significantly altered by the occupation by the US).

The countries who used to have a solid Christian tradition but who are now abandoning it are also the ones manifestly suffering the most: France, Germany, Sweden and, increasingly, Australia.

91. DrBeauGan

Which Clarke are you talking about here?

92. Tintarella di Luna

Young adults in Central and Eastern Europe largely oppose gay marriage</blockquote

They would be the ones with the race memory of the 7 century occupation by the Ottoman Empire.

93. DrBeauGan

Undeniable. Christianity has given us many good things and I don’t contest that. We also got some good things from the Enlightenment. Including honest doubt.

94. Yes, and I admit to standing on the shoulders of giants. And seeing further than them in consequence. I’m properly grateful to them, I assure you, but I don’t have to share all their beliefs, some of which we now know to be wrong. The brain does more than cool the blood..it actually warms it slightly.

No is saying you must as neither did they.

Which Clarke are you talking about here?

Samuel.

95. Tintarella di Luna

96. Zyconoclast

Making U.S. Fire Departments More Diverse and Inclusive

Picture a typical firefighter. Who comes to mind? If you imagined a white man, that’s understandable: 96% of U.S. career firefighters are men, and 82% are white.

Many fire departments recognize that their lack of diversity as a problem and say they’re committed to increasing racial and gender diversity. “We have to diversify, because it actually improves our organization. It helps us address the needs of the public better,” says Derek Alkonis, the Los Angeles County Fire Department (LACoFD) assistant chief. Ralph Terrazas, chief of the Los Angeles City Fire Department (LAFD), agrees: “[We] will provide a higher level of service to the communities we serve when the people of that department respect the culture, language and beliefs of the people within that community.”

97. Old School Conservative

Robber Baron
    #2889755, posted on December 20, 2018 at 8:45 pm
    And now we have to endure preambles to every event paying respects to abbos!

Many seminars/meetings/community events have every speaker paying respects to the elders (past, present and future). It’s boring, tedious, and people don’t seem to be listening at all.
    I may have detected a significant change though. The “traditional owners” line is being used less and less, and alternative forms of praise is being used.
    Just a gut feel.

98. Atoms for Peace

Would the Australian indigenous culture be similar to that of current PNG in the back blocks?

99. jupes

… until their house catches fire.

100. Atoms for Peace

Ear plugs from Bunnings are cheap as chips. They even come in fluoro colours.

It’s boring, tedious, and people don’t seem to be listening at all.

I’ve been known to arrive late, to miss the farce.

102. Tintarella di Luna

Gee I feel chuffed to be in such good company.

103. Atoms for Peace

Bruce. Feel free to use the terms Christianphobic or Catholicphobic. Watch the clockwork that powers their hashtag minds go sproing.

104. Old School Conservative

That’s racist.
    While men are quite capable, and very often do, of respecting other cultures, languages and beliefs.
    Someone should start a government funded lawfare action against Ralph Terrazas, chief of the Los Angeles City Fire Department (LAFD) for his racist comment.
    (Just dreamin’)

105. Stimpson J. Cat

Many exceptionally brilliant minds believe in God

Thank you OCO that is very kind of you.

106. Cassie of Sydney

“Tintarella di Luna
    #2889773, posted on December 20, 2018 at 9:38 pm
    Check out these two faces – two creatures who’ve done so much harm to the social fabric of this nation, including the death of one of the finest cartoonists – I miss him every morning. RIP Bill”

Yep, whilst the hideous crone on the right is straight out of HR Puff n Stuff, the grotesque race pimp on the left is the truly dangerous and evil one. Pudgy race pimp, until he finds some safe ALP senate vacancy to fill, is now busily encouraging and abetting the activist organisation “Sleeping Midgets” go after Rowan Dean and other spooky wooky programmes on Sky After Dark.

107. Snoopy

The “traditional owners” line is being used less and less,

There’s always the risk that some smarty might ask who the recipients of the fulsome respect actually are. It’s a bit embarassing when the virtue signaller has NFI which is pretty much always.

108. Snoopy

Many exceptionally brilliant minds believe in God

Thank you OCO that is very kind of you.

The Church is a broad church.

I’m coming to a number of conclusions about Christianity: one of my theories is that it Christianity pretty good on a “least worst” basis, and often that’s an excellent metric. Since Christians believe in forgiveness they don’t mess up the lives of non-religious people too much, and they are willing to tolerate lukewarm followers along the principle of better-than-nothing. Certain other religions have a “holier than thou” spiral of proving oneself to be more zealous than the other guy as a way to climb the hierarchy. This is highly destructive and encourages extremism.

My second theory is that the Tenth Commandment makes a fundamental separation from many other religions, because there’s inevitably a temptation for anyone to take short cuts and grab what the other guy has got instead of doing the hard yards and achieving something yourself. This is a classic Prisoner’s Dilemma game theory and the Christians had that one figured out, even if they didn’t understand all the mathematics behind it. If I could only provide a small amount of information to future generations on the topic of morality I’d say: be willing to forgive, and don’t build your life around envy. The rest of it you can figure out yourself.

110. DrBeauGan

Stimpson J. Cat
    #2889784, posted on December 20, 2018 at 9:50 pm
    Many exceptionally brilliant minds believe in God

Thank you OCO that is very kind of you.

Unfortunately, a great many thickos do, too. And the odd whacko.

Back in the day, we applied for a Government grant to fence off some salt affected land, and plant it to salt-bush. We were asked if we had sought permission from the “traditional owners” of the land. Some research revealed that the representative of the “traditional owners” lived two hundred kilometers away, and had never set foot on the farm, or, indeed, in the district, in their lives.

112. Boambee John

That finishes off the left. Their entire philosophy is built on envy of others and hatred of those who disagree with them.

Plus an unhealthy obsession with power over others.

113. Stimpson J. Cat

Are you serious?
    Twitter is full of millions of nasty 14 year old PewDiePie fans who write racist and antisemitic comments and memes.
    You honestly think my ridiculous rhetoric and reason could persuade and open sane minds to the joys of mental illness?
    You think that’s freedom of speech?
    I would much rather stay here, on Australia’s leading libertarian blog under the benevolent rule of the Doomlord where we are free to use all of the wonderful words and opinions and comments God gave us in a free market place of ideas.
    Also I’m lazy.

114. DrBeauGan

It sure beats worshipping the state. And most of the alternatives.

My experience is that Christians are usually nice people as long as they don’t have secular power. Once any religion gets secular power, it attracts the wrong kind of people.

Plus an unhealthy obsession with power over others.

Yeah, that’s probably the third point: let the other guy have a chance to do something for himself, because you really don’t know better than he does what he wants. That one is a bit more difficult to explain in simple words but there’s probably a pithy way to state that.

I don’t know of any part of any religion that emphasizes this particular point though. Christian missionaries were historically very willing to take over other people’s lives and tell them the “right thing” to be doing. Maybe we could find that in Buddhism but perhaps we only find it because we already know what we want to go looking for.

But yeah, it’s a good point.

116. Atoms for Peace

Respect for cultures goes both ways. Just practicing to be an SJW…

117. Ƶĩppʯ (ȊꞪꞨV)

The Portuguese Empire dropped to it’s knees after this.

Ironic how Portugal today has one of the lowest fertility rates in Evropa and the world.

118. H B Bear

Yep – I was at the living hell that is Innaloo Westfield for a poorly timed annual socks and jocks shop. Had a look at a frypan in a chain homewears shop and everything was already at Boxing Day prices.

119. bespoke

Why Aren’t People Signing Up For Stockton’s Guaranteed Basic Income?

“Stockton, California, became the largest city to file for bankruptcy in U.S. history announces bankruptcy in Stockton, California June 27, 2012.”

Via Insta comments

120. Atoms for Peace

Most religions attract the spivs and chancers very quickly. The modern version is the Creepy Climate Change Cult.

Power corrupts there’s no getting around that. Religion might in some cases mellow the powerful to hold themselves back a little but, but you get back to that age old question of begging the perpetrator or arming the victim.

Problem is that if the other guys are raising an army, then you either get stomped or you also raise and army which needs a leader. After that, regardless of who wins there’s now an army out there and a leader and no one else to get in their way. That’s all it takes to be powerful… which corrupts… go to square one.

I would put this one into the category of unsolved problems. I really don’t have any advice to future generations on this topis other than to explain why it’s a problem.

For what it’s worth “The History Of Freedom And Other Essays” by Lord Acton Acton was published in 1919 so it’s done the requisite 100 years of servitude and it’s free from Copyright next year. The text is already available on Archive Org.

122. H B Bear

The naivete of Europeans when dealing with Mohammedans knows no bounds.

123. DrBeauGan

jupes
    #2889778, posted on December 20, 2018 at 9:41 pm

… until their house catches fire.

You bastard, Jupes. You are letting reality in. Unfair to fools.

124. triggered

Imagine how much more advanced we would be without Christianity holding us back for so long.

Western civilisation is more down to pure luck than anything else.

South America is strongly Christian, how’s it doing? (but then Catholicism isn’t real Christianity, right?)

125. johanna

The reason Google, Facebook et al are not subject to stuff like libel laws is because they managed to get themselves a legislative exemption from being classified as publishers (as opposed to platforms.) The fact they behave like publishers by, for example, censoring material and user rights doesn’t seem to matter to the invertebrates of the US legislature.

The tech companies’ lobbyists slipped this into the relevant legislation about ten years ago, before most people realised quite how powerful they were and would become.

It gives them a massive competitive advantage over genuine publishers, who are subject to a raft of legislative and regulatory constraints. They get to behave like publishers, including influencing public opinion, while being treated like utilities.

A few legislators have been talking about this anomaly and trying to get some action to rectify it, but most of their colleagues are strangely uninterested in tangling with the current Masters of the Universe.

126. mh

Fake news latest:

“I am sick and I need to get help.”
    — Claas Relotius, former CNN Journalist of the Year

127. DrBeauGan

This is tacitly assuming that human beings are a) rational and b) benevolent. Neither is true.

128. Atoms for Peace

Tits with tatts and tatts with tits. Just staying one step ahead of the Langoliers

I have to go amongst the results of the casual couplings of the lower orders, at Midland Gate, sometime soon, on a similar mission. Midland Gate has parking spots designated for seniors, and it’s amazing how many seniors there are morbidly obese, pushing their revolting brats in strollers, and drive muscle cars.

Tel
    #2889802, posted on December 20, 2018 at 10:26 pm

Probably pays to wait until they improve the digitization and turn out an eBook.
    As is at the moment, it’s full of mistakes, distracting from reading.

It’s evening, he’s drunk, so we have to expect the toppering.

132. Atoms for Peace

I’ll raise you. People watching at Cabo. I have a black belt in same at the Cabo markets for the brave at heart. Having said that, you do get to meet some keepers memory wise.

133. mh

Jim Molan on CH7 right now saying that Trump has got it all wrong in Syria. He is shocked that America is unable to wage war effectively.

Seems that Molan wants America to just keep fighting someone. Anyone.

Yes, it’s evening and JC is drunk, so we’ll have the raving about “Roones/Roonery/Rocket” starting anytime now. Silly old bugger he is.

135. Zyconoclast

Young adults in Central and Eastern Europe largely oppose gay marriage

So are having lots of potential Christian babies?
    Thought not

Rones, we can always tell when you’re drunk. It’s either extreme tourettes or toppering. I bet your claims in the picture you painted of the people at the shopping centre is made up bullshit. Just senseless crap.

Yep, 11.10 in the East, JC’s drunk again and raving on about “Rones.” Just so sad, old, tired and totally inadequate.

138. Zyconoclast

Western civilisation is more down to pure luck than anything else.

Christianity can’t create higher IQ. IQ is 80% genetic.
    It can help make people a bit nicer.

139. jupes

He is shocked that America is unable to wage war effectively.

Says the man who supported the emasculation of the ADF.

140. Infidel Tiger

Seems that Molan wants America to just keep fighting someone. Anyone.

Endless wars make these guys erect.

Molan thought invading iraq wa a swell idea too.

Ronery

Trying to point claims made about you in my direction does nothing to help your case in any way. It just makes you look like this.

142. Tailgunner

The Deplorables are real.
    In vino veritas.
    My message of common sense fightback resonates with the people.
    It begins.

143. Zyconoclast

Rob Oakeshott preparing to announce he will contest the 2019 election

Mr Oakeshott’s enemies believe he only runs in federal elections to secure a share of public funding. He picked up $71,477 following the 2016 poll.

144. mh

Speaking of fake news, look at this sickening comment from the Washington Times:

Mr. Soros, a major Democratic donor who survived Nazi-occupied Hungary as a teenager, was the first of more than a dozen high-profile Democrats who were sent pipe bombs by a Trump-supporting Florida man in October….

He is a self-confessed Nazi collaborator. Fuckwits.

145. Top Ender

A Tale of Two Hotels

Told to go and find some accommodation by Qantas after our plane broke down. Raining; storms all over; lots of cancellations.

So we got in a cab to try our luck. First hotel, all booked. Second hotel, all booked. Third hotel – Quest in Mascot. One room left. $490 thank you.

Queried this and was told no rooms left anywhere so the price had gone up. Decided to take it. We get into the tiny most basic room and Mrs TE horrified, and then tells me Qantas said they would only pay $200. We promptly marched out, and after the room was inspected were told we would have it credited back.

No joy at another two and then got lucky with the most impressive Gavin behind the counter at the local Ibis. No rooms, but he could get us into the Meriton Apartments at Mascot. Took a snapshot with my phone of the address, and we got lucky with a lady who was in the same pickle and who volunteered to give us a lift. Got to the Meriton and a) fantastic service, b) great spacious room, and c) $121.

Imagine how all that would have gone down with an overseas tourist.

Endless wars make these guys erect.

IT, you’ll be pleased to know that the front-page lead of tomorrow’s Paywallian shrieks: “ISIS threat alive, allies warn as Trump pulls out”.

And, in a story at the bottom of Page 1, the Paywallian’s SJW kiddies are totally freaked out about today’s summer lightning in Sydney: “Worst hailstorm in 20 years ‘catastrophic’.

FMD. They’re more hysterical than Fakefacts.

147. jupes

Rob Oakeshott preparing to announce he will contest the 2019 election

Good grief!

148. mh

Donald J. Trump
    @realDonaldTrump
    57m
    Getting out of Syria was no surprise. I’ve been campaigning on it for years, and six months ago, when I very publicly wanted to do it, I agreed to stay longer. Russia, Iran, Syria & others are the local enemy of ISIS. We were doing there work. Time to come home & rebuild. #MAGA

Donald J. Trump
    @realDonaldTrump
    42m
    Does the USA want to be the Policeman of the Middle East, getting NOTHING but spending precious lives and trillions of dollars protecting others who, in almost all cases, do not appreciate what we are doing? Do we want to be there forever? Time for others to finally fight………Russia, Iran, Syria & many others are not happy about the U.S. leaving, despite what the Fake News says, because now they will have to fight ISIS and others, who they hate, without us. I am building by far the most powerful military in the world. ISIS hits us they are doomed!

149. Zyconoclast

Merkel’s BIGGEST Brexit fear REVEALED: Why Germany is TERRIFIED of a No Deal Brexit?

Head of the German Chambers of Commerce and Industry, Eric Schweitzer, said: “Brexit threatens massive consequences for the German economy”.
    “We must be clear what this is all about. More than 750,000 jobs in Germany depend on exports to Great Britain. Just-in-time production and supply chains are at risk.”

President of the Germany Industry Federation, Dieter Kempf, said: “We have only got three months left and nobody should be playing games. Without an agreement there is no transition phase, which our companies badly need.”

The Institute for Economic Research in Munich has made it clear that “Germany exporters are beset by fears of a hard Brexit”.

150. mh

Donald J. Trump
    @realDonaldTrump
    After historic victories against ISIS, it’s time to bring our great young people home!

151. mh

Donald J. Trump
    @realDonaldTrump

152. Zyconoclast

Over One Million Gun Owners Refuse to Obey Ban, No One Turning in Magazines

153. mh

Ah McCain….

McCain associate shared unverified Steele dossier with Buzzfeed, court filing says

An associate of the late Arizona Republican Sen. John McCain shared with Buzzfeed News a copy of the unverified, salacious opposition research dossier alleging that Russians had compromising material on President Trump, according to a bombshell federal court filing Wednesday.

McCain had strenuously denied being the source for Buzzfeed after it published the dossier, which was funded by the Democratic National Committee (DNC) and the Hillary Clinton presidential campaign….

154. mh

TRUMP UNFOLLOWS ANN COULTER AFTER SHE SAVAGES HIM FOR CAVING ON THE WALL

Not a big deal. Coulter is the Sondra Locke of the conservative movement.

155. struth

Sorry Anne Coulter is not Alan or Andrew or Alex Coulter, but an Anne.
    And it shows.
    Back in the kitchen with you, little diddums.

156. struth

Over One Million Gun Owners Refuse to Obey Ban, No One Turning in Magazines

So not Australians then…………………………..

157. triggered

George HW Bush told the Kurds to ‘go for it’, then left them hanging.

Trump may be doing the same to keep Turkey and Saudis on side, Kurds might cop it again.

Oh, the story of an unnamed Federal Government MP is on the cover of the Herald Sun tomorrow for visiting ‘seedier’ SE Asian neighbourhoods.

158. None

I don’t know what’s worse. The Gaystapo, the Trans task or arsehole bureaucrats and judges.

The first and foremost duty of any government is to protect its citizens and the role of the judiciary as part of the state is to protect citizens from other citizens. But what we are finding istead is the state and judiciary being willingly being used as weapons by one group of citizens against another, hell bent on hounding and oppressing others. Annie Get Your Gun because this sort of continual harassment will eventually end up in big tears.

159. Bruce in WA

FMD

New toy gun craze poses threat, NSW police say
    By Ben Weir

A new toy gun craze is sweeping Australia but questions over the gun’s legality have led to a record number of seizures and growing confusion among sellers in NSW.

Police have seized more than 300 gel gun blasters, a device similar to a nerf or airsoft gun, in the last five months compared to two for nearly all of 2017.

Some gel gun blasters are classed as firearms because many models share similarities in appearance to real weapons, NSW police said. Blasters have already been used to carry out crimes in some parts of the country.

“They substantially duplicate in appearance a military-style firearm and the gel ball has been similarly determined to be ammunition,” a police spokesman said. “Should a business wish to trade in gel blaster guns they would require a firearm dealer licence.”

160. mh

Senator Rand Paul
    Senator Rand Paul
    @RandPaul
    I am happy to see a President who can declare victory and bring our troops out of a war. It’s been a long time since that has happened.

161. This strict interpretation has led to a growing number of toy shop owners, who have been selling and marketing the devices as toys, facing legal issues.

I really am beginning to wonder if we’ll have enough lamp posts come the day.

Anyway, night all to Western Australian Cats, I’m pleasantly awash in good Scotch, and doing the sums about B.H.P. special dividend. It will net me the odd hundred thousand, or so, and the family pastoral company just over half a million bucks. Kiss my arse, JC.

struth
    #2889840, posted on December 21, 2018 at 12:18 am

Over One Million Gun Owners Refuse to Obey Ban, No One Turning in Magazines

So not Australians then…………………………..

Obviously, in OZ the line to hand them in would be around the block.
    Remember the rush to hand in guns at the local cop shop?

164. Stimpson J. Cat

Pope Francis
    @Pontifex
    Jesus knows well the pain of not being welcomed. May our hearts not be closed as were the houses in Bethlehem. #Internationalmigrantsday
    6:30 PM · Dec 18, 2018

Stimpson J. Cat
    #2889849, posted on December 21, 2018 at 1:15 am

Pope Francis
    @Pontifex
    6:30 PM · Dec 18, 2018

Once the Vatican is filled to the rafters then I might believe him.
    But in any case, sod off, and look after the church you have been tasked to care for and keep out of politics.

166. Nob

A Tale of Two Hotels

been in that situation many times in many places.

First thing you do, if in a civilised place, or even Sydney, get a taxi/Uber/train into town and book something on Hotels/booking.com etc while on the go.

Forget near the airport – they fill up immediately or will charge too much.

OK, you got lucky eventually, but driving round in a cab knocking on doors is a mug’s game in this day and age.

Close to a million NSW households could face soaring rents under Bill Shorten’s negative gearing restrictions — and it’s Labor electorates that top the list of where battlers will be hit.

But it makes no difference, labor is safe there as they will vote labor regardless.

168. Infidel Tiger

Ann Coulter
    Ann Coulter
    @AnnCoulter
    18h
    In fairness to Trump, maybe we misheard him in 2016. Maybe he said the southern border needed a big, beautiful mall.

Trump is cooked in 2020

Limbaugh has already promised to shred him over the wall and now his biggest supporter has abandoned ship. He’ll be lucky to get single digit support unless he builds the ducking wall.

Mark A, since you are a racing man, I wonder if you are tuned into the racing station here, http://www.rsn.net.au. (I assume it’s not geoblocked if you’re tuning in from Europe). This time of day is peak hour for horse-racing with meetings today at Exeter, Hexham and Southwell in the UK, Dubai (Meydan) in the UAE and the Vaal in South Africa. Plenty of Oz punters are punting with bet pools per race with the Vic TAB often in the $10,000 range. Terrific fun if you’ve got downtime during the afternoon in central Europe.

170. Caveman

I bought a couple of those gel blaster guns off ebay last year. They have some punch.

Tom
    #2889854, posted on December 21, 2018 at 2:02 am

Thanks for the link Tom. Great!
    This is the first racing site that is not blocked, for all others I have to use VPN or my server at home.

For betting I have Betfair and for TAB I use the server.
    Usually I get up at 3AM local to put in my OZ bets.

172. Oh come on

You’re pretty much proving JC’s point here. You’re prone to drinking too much and then acting an old patriarch whose offspring can barely wait for you to pop your clogs so they can get their hands on your fortune.

FYI, “old money” doesn’t carry on like this. It’s gauche.

173. Zyconoclast

Low-skilled EU migrants free to travel to UK until 2025, Sajid Javid’s post-Brexit immigration plans reveal

Tens of thousands of low-skilled migrants from the EU will be free to travel to the UK to look for work until at least 2025, the government has announced.

Under plans revealed in the immigration white paper, a new scheme will allow migrants to continue coming to the UK amid concerns that ending freedom of movement would have a damaging impact on British businesses.

The transitional measure for low-skilled workers, which would be open to nationals of “low risk countries”, would allow people to look for work in the UK for 12 months and would not require someone to have a job beforehand or be sponsored by an employer.

Skilled workers from all over the world will be able to apply for a visa to work in the UK and there will be no cap on the number of people allowed to come.

The white paper states Brexit gives the UK the opportunity to “reset the conversation on migration” but ministers are also understood to have disagreed over whether to include a direct promise to cut net migration to the tens of thousands, as set out in the Conservative Party’s manifesto.

Mr Javid failed to repeat the phrase but said immigration should be brought down to “sustainable levels”, while the prime minister is understood to want to keep the tough target because it was promised to voters

Home Office experts believe the number of EU nationals coming to the UK under the transitional low-skilled scheme would be similar to the number currently coming.

174. Oh come on

Coulter has been flaying Trump over the wall for a long time now. I don’t think this is really their big break.

But if Trump has lost Rush Limbaugh…that’s really significant. Limbaugh has a *lot* more influence than Coulter.

Interesting pics of the hail that hit Sydney yesterday, including a cricket ball sized monster. How a chunk that size can stay up inside a storm cell long enough to grow that big is fascinating. Wouldn’t want to be under it though.

176. rickw

Police just can’t get enough of policing non-issues.

It’s so safe and so much fun chucking the book at people who aren’t criminals!

The whole toy guns used in crimes issue only exists because law abiding people aren’t allowed use real firearms to defend themselves.

177. rickw

Over One Million Gun Owners Refuse to Obey Ban, No One Turning in Magazines

Magnificent!

178. bespoke

Oh come on
    #2889858, posted on December 21, 2018 at 3:34 am
    FYI, “old money” doesn’t carry on like this. It’s gauche.

Normally your a clear thinker but looks like a bit like envy seeping in.

rickw
    #2889875, posted on December 21, 2018 at 6:18 am

Over One Million Gun Owners Refuse to Obey Ban, No One Turning in Magazines

Magnificent!

Yes, not sheep like some others.

Although in all fairness, the way I read it, you don’t have to turn them in if you modify/restrict them to take only 10 or less shots.

180. Elizabeth (Lizzie) Beare

One of the reasons Christianity has been such an attractive and successful religion is because it offers an explanation for the evil that men do. (generic humankind ‘men’ here, obviously).

As I understand it, Christianity suggests that only God’s Grace can save us from ourselves, from our inherent nature, which tends towards bad things as well as towards the heights of saintliness for those who chose the way of the Lord. Now, believer or not, this is not a bad thesis to have about a species that carries many of the murderous warring social instincts and tendencies of all evolved species: the jungle then the exposed savannah was us, and we survived fortuitously in it by intelligence, aka cunning and guile. Also by being successful at reproduction. We are also a social species, with babyhood neoteny, so it is important that we continually find a social glue to hold us together. Hence, I think a religious impulse is part of our evolved intellectual make-up; we are smart enough now to ask why are we here and where did we come from. God is thus necessary – even though not necessarily acceptable to our evolved and questioning, indeed perhaps wayward, minds (hence my disbelief). For God is moral and good and most importantly, God is forgiving. He allows us to make our way through this world in love and peace with each other.

Forgiveness is one of Christianity’s most important concepts, the forgiveness of sin; that, and redemption. Christ’s Sermon on the Mount (saw that mount recently in Israel) anticipated those blessings. From Christ’s understanding of man, a great religion sprang forth.

Simple medieval peasants knew this, their better selves, as at Christmas they sang ‘Adam lay ybounden’.

One of my favorite Christmas carols. You can listen to it here.

181. Elizabeth (Lizzie) Beare

You can get caught with the systems not being quick and up to the mark for ‘same hour’ bookings as they sometimes struggle with ‘same day’ bookings.

We have found calling hotels direct to be our best bet at such times and agree that it is best to get into town where choice is greater. Beg and plead if necessary. 🙂
    If they have nothing they will sometimes kindly refer you to others who can help – giving phone numbers.

182. Twostix

You should see what atheists are like in power.

183. Twostix

The most homosexual country in the universe.

184. Elizabeth (Lizzie) Beare

Ramirez 1 being pointed about Google’s inquisitiveness is the best one for me today, Tom.
    Thanks for your Catallaxy Entry to the Day, provided free daily for us. Much appreciated.

They send me back to bed happy after any early morning wakefulness. 🙂

185. notafan

How many aethiests were burnt at the stake throughout the history of Christianity?

I find the argument that people are believers because their families were believers illogical.

Clearly many people born into families of believers are not believers too. I have athiest brothers.

On the other hand how can one know Christ if someone doesn’t teach you about him.

Once upon a time there were no Christians, how did the faith spread and continue to attract new believers in places like China and Africa unless people chose it, even in the face of persecution.

As far as burning at the stake, we can number athiests but Christians who have died rather than abandon their faith, from the Apostles to the current day they number in their millions, and stake burning being but one of the fantastical ways they have been tortured and killed for their faith
    the list of burnt at the stake, clearly only some were athiests.

186. Elizabeth (Lizzie) Beare

Zulu, I think it is OK to happily reflect on a lazy hundred thousand or so added to the coffers. Especially with a Scotch in hand and a goodly few already under the belt. After all, JC is not the only one who can make money around here, which I guess is your point.

Pity about taxation but. Takes the shine off a little bit.
    Especially given what they do with it.

187. notafan

Your sheep claim doesn’t explain the Christians of Japan.

The athiest mantra; I’m so brave, if I were born several centuries ago I would have been burnt at the stake
    thousands of Japanese matrys

188. notafan

Oh yes please we need more of those practically daily drunken boasts.

189. Notafan

Lol twostix
    Two thousand years of western civilization thanks to Christianity and Christian leaders but don’t let them get into power.

Terrible people, just terrible.

We need more athiests in charge of us if we are to be truly blessed

from the French revolution to modern day Cuba athiestist governments have been the best the world has ever seen.

Rob Oakeshott preparing to announce he will contest the 2019 election

Another 17 minute “announcement”?

calli
    #2889888, posted on December 21, 2018 at 7:32 am

Rob Oakeshott preparing to announce he will contest the 2019 election

Another 17 minute “announcement”?

Well 70+K for an outlay of 2K tops and some electioneering is not a bad lurk.

We need more atheists in charge of us if we are to be truly blessed

Agnostics I can understand, intelligent thinking humans do question what they don’t fully understand.

But atheists?
    They are no better than those with blind faith, since the existence of a deity cannot be proved nor disproved.

193. bespoke

Mark A
    #2889892, posted on December 21, 2018 at 7:45 am

bespoke
    #2889896, posted on December 21, 2018 at 8:12 am

Sorry to inform you mate, but I spoke in general and had nobody, let alone you, in mind.
    Must be sore point for you?
    It’s merely my opinion so I could be wrong, but you are welcome to prove it one way or the other.

And please, keep it simple, no Aristottotal or anything like that.

195. Chinese agents hacking and stealing IP from western nations.
    Don’t hold your breath waiting for Penny Wong to condemn this.
    If she does make a statement, see if she actually uses the word China.

196. bespoke

Mark A

It was an attempt at self deprecation on my part.

Nurses Again Outpace Other Professions for Honesty, Ethics

WASHINGTON, D.C. — More than four in five Americans (84%) again rate the honesty and ethical standards of nurses as “very high” or “high,” earning them the top spot among a diverse list of professions for the 17th consecutive year. At the same time, members of Congress are again held in the lowest esteem, as nearly 58% of Americans say they have “low” or “very low” ethical standards. Telemarketers join members of Congress as having a majority of low/very low ratings.

198. Snoopy

That and the fact that so few people have ever seen a real gun. It will soon be against the law make a fist, straighten your index finger and wave it in someone’s direction.

bespoke
    #2889900, posted on December 21, 2018 at 8:32 am

Mark A

It was an attempt at self deprecation on my part.

No problem bespoke, I take this discussions more lightly than some.
    As it happens I’m a believer, but sometimes my long suffering parish priest wishes I wasn’t.
    (no he does not)

I do question things and have a problem with church hierarchy being all powerful and to be obeyed unquestionably.
    They are human! Remember that!
    It doesn’t sit well with some but so be it.

200. Snoopy

But atheists?

So what do you call those who don’t give a fcuk one way or the other?

201. pete m

Snoopy, they are called cowards who put on bravado but are really too timid to take a stand.

202. Ƶĩppʯ (ȊꞪꞨV)

I once messed up a booking, I got to the hotel and they couldn’t find my booking and was told they had no rooms. I sat in the lounge and tried to find a new room online. Found the very same hotel had availability for that day, booked it online went back to the desk and got my room. When I asked for an explanation, seems they have allocations to various booking services they can’t release.

203. Notafan

The only ‘power’ that matters is Christ’s.

All we ask of Church leaders is that they defend the deposit of faith and do not substitute their own personal opinion for the Word.

204. Death Giraffe

I am a product of my culture to some extent,

You are the product of a degenerate culture which will, along with you and your lineage, soon be extinct.
    It will now likely be replaced with either an evil death cult theocracy or a souless global totalitarian dystopia.
    Before it flickers out for the last time you msy reflect on a lost world of vicars, ladies bringing plates, fresh mown lawns, true tolerance and convival, yet sober chit chat that you made a conscious decision not to contribute towards because you’re so much smarter than everyone else.
    You are not alone.
    I too was an arrogant fuckwit who could not see the link betwen the freedoms and goods I enjoyed and the humble people perpetuating the boring minutiea of our culture,

205. Diogenes

Its amazing though how hit & miss it is. 5K as the crow flies on both sides of us massive hail & damage, here in the first round we got some spits, then the second round rain, but not heavy enough to make the TV hard to hear as it fell on our tin roof.

I mentioned no 1 son, who works in MV claims for an insurance coy, was called back to work last night, he got home at at 4am. He had from today until 2Jan booked off as leave, but he texted that he he would be working today, and probably tomorrow & sunday as well, so no need for us to rush up to his in laws at Warwick, where we are all spending Christmas.

Without scrolling too far, I saw posts about the delays at Sydney & getting hotels, has anybody mentioned the 17 HOUR shutdown at Gatwick due to drone activity in the airport grounds and over the runways?

206. Ƶĩppʯ (ȊꞪꞨV)

This, let’s all bow down before christianity rubbish is becoming tiresome, especially given we now have an openly marxist pope calling for a new economic system.

207. Percy Popinjay

Worst Sydney hailstorms in 20 years

Has any prominent collectivist numbskull (BIRM) come out and announced the hailogeddon storm was due to gerbil worming?

The weather in Sydney since the nominal end of winter has been appalling. That is, it has been largely cold, wet and grey. No doubt various dishonest data torturing plastic turkeys will be trumpeting in March that we’ve just endured “da hottest summah evah!!!”.

Idiots.

208. Twostix

So what do you call those who don’t give a fcuk one way or the other?

Cattle

Snoopy
    #2889904, posted on December 21, 2018 at 8:40 am

But atheists?

So what do you call those who don’t give a fcuk one way or the other?

snoopy, honestly I don’t even think about them, but Peter m gave a good answer.

I just found it strange how you can deny something that can’t be proved to exist in the first place?

Those who don’t care don’t care and neither do I care about them.
    They have one great redeeming quality to them, they don’t preach to us or try to convert anybody.

On the other hand atheists, vegans and religious zealots are in your face all the time if they have a chance.

210. bespoke

Mark A

As an agnostics it would be nice to be thought of as an intelligent thinking human but it could be I’m just a simpleton, I just cant decide.

211. None

once again you show your bigotry Dr Bo. Earthquakes had always been seen as acts of God way back since the Romans the Greeks the Hebrews – all ancient people. The Greeks for example following Homer ascribed them to Poseidon who also bore the epithet earthshaker.

212. None

Pope Francis
    @Pontifex
    6:30 PM · Dec 18, 2018

@pontiff the inn was as full as the coffers of the Vatican, your excellency, and homes were filled with travellers who had returned for the census, a bit like St Peters. Overcrowding is a great source of misery,crime and disease. Much like your home city.

None
    #2889917, posted on December 21, 2018 at 8:59 am

Not being welcome!
    He makes it sound as if He was denied lodgings because of who He and His parents were.

I have no regard for this man they installed as the Bishop of Rome.

214. bespoke

Yes but give time since a lot of reports have turned out to be something else.

Drones paralyse Britain’s Gatwick airport
    Sarah Young and Kate Holton, Reuters
    an hour ago

Britain has sent troops to its second-biggest airport after an unprecedented attempt to cripple Christmas travel with large drones forced all flights to be cancelled.

As thousands of passengers waited on Thursday at Gatwick Airport, south of London, police hunted unsuccessfully for the operators of the large drones, which reappeared near the airfield every time the airport tried to reopen the runway.

Police said there was no indication of a terrorism motive behind the devices, which first appeared on Wednesday night.

“We will be deploying the armed forces,” Defence Minister Gavin Williamson told reporters.

“We are there to assist and do everything we can.”

Europe’s air traffic control agency, Eurocontrol, said the airport would remain closed until 6am GMT on Friday (5pm AEDT).

The airport said flights would remain shut down until further notice on a day when 115,000 people were scheduled to pass through, many on the way to seasonal breaks.

Prime Minister Theresa May’s spokesman condemned the stand-off as “irresponsible and completely unacceptable”.

Passenger Ani Kochiashvili had been bound for Georgia but spent six hours overnight sitting on a plane with her children.

“I’m very annoyed because I’m with two kids, a three-month-old and three-year-old,” she told Reuters by phone among thousands camped in the terminal.

“They require a lot of space and food and changing and all that, and the airport is crazy busy so it’s challenging.”

Flights were halted at 11.03pm on Wednesday after two drones were spotted near the airfield, triggering the biggest disruption at Gatwick since a volcanic ash cloud in 2010.

Police said more than 20 units were hunting the operators near Gatwick airport, 50km south of London.

Transport minister Chris Grayling said it was clearly a deliberate act.

“This is a commercial-sized drone,” he said.

“Every time Gatwick tries to reopen the runway, the drones reappear.”

Grayling temporarily lifted night-flying restrictions at other airports to ease congestion caused by diverted aircraft, Sky News reported.

With a surge in public enthusiasm for drones, there has been an increase in near-collisions by unmanned aircraft and commercial jets in recent years.

Richard Parker, head of air traffic management technology firm Altitude Angel, said this was the first time a major airport had been hit by such a sustained and deliberate incursion into its airspace.

It’s illegal to fly drones within 1km of a British airport boundary, punishable by five years in prison.

Even after Gatwick reopens, the backlog and disruption are expected to last for days.

Gatwick said it was working with its airlines on recovery plans once the runway reopened.

C.L.
    #2889922, posted on December 21, 2018 at 9:09 am

CL please!

217. Ƶĩppʯ (ȊꞪꞨV)

leftism is a total breakdown in the rule of law

218. doesn’t explain the Christians of Japan

But it might explain Nagasaki.

219. Snoopy

That Fauxfacts virus is a nasty bastard.

The Nine Network will “raze” its troubled Today show – following the shock dumping of Karl Stefanovic – in a bid to win back disgruntled viewers.

Insiders say co-host Georgie Gardner could be “the last one standing”, with management considering radical changes to its format and line-up.

220. Old School Conservative

Brad Norington in The Oz has two excellent pieces shredding GetUp’ secrecy.
    1. $500,000 donation from the Sunrise Project, dedicated to 100% renewables.
    Brad implies it could have come from overseas sources.
    Best analysis of GetUp yet.
    2. He itemises the GetUp decision making set up, controlling a $10 million election year war chest.
    Those who pull the strings sit on a nine-member board. Of those nine, five are Labor Party members or historically active in the party. The rest lean towards the Greens as refugee, indigenous or climate change activists. The CFMEU figures prominently.

GetUp is a powerful anti-conservative body with money to burn, Green-Left activists running the show, and a very good understanding of Australian law. They can also get boots on the ground from many anti-conservative volunteers who simply support what the 9 member board dictates.

The SFL ignore them at their peril.

incoherent rambler
    #2889925, posted on December 21, 2018 at 9:13 am

doesn’t explain the Christians of Japan

But it might explain Nagasaki.

Hmmm, given this was the US military, I have my doubts, but a great pick as a potential location for an otherworldly, devastating, retaliatory strike.

God’s mills an all.