New Years Eve 2018

This entry was posted in Cultural Issues. Bookmark the permalink.

80 Responses to New Years Eve 2018

1. Mark from Melbourne

Happy New year to all, and the very best for what is shaping as a bit of a gloomy 2019.

2. Pete of perth

Happy new year. May the uniparty cease to exist in 2019.

3. bespoke

Happy New year and thanks.

4. Elle

Happy New Year, Sinc.
    I use to be a paid up member of the ABBA fan club. Blush.
    Hope you are enjoying your holiday. Might I suggest you grow a goatee in your time off. It would suit you. 🙂

5. RobK

Best wishes for the New Year to all. May you pick the right lotto numbers and keep the best company.

Ultima Thule night!

Into the darkness and the hush of night
    Slowly the landscape sinks, and fades away,
    And with it fade the phantoms of the day,
    The ghosts of men and things, that haunt the light,
    The crowd, the clamor, the pursuit, the flight,
    The unprofitable splendor and display,
    The agitations, and the cares that prey
    Upon our hearts, all vanish out of sight.
    The better life begins; the world no more
    Molests us; all its records we erase
    From the dull commonplace book of our lives,
    That like a palimpsest is written o’er
    With trivial incidents of time and place,
    And lo! the ideal, hidden beneath, revives.

– Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

More apt for New Years Eve than for the event I actually am referring to.

Watch New Horizons probe ring in the New Year with record-setting Ultima Thule flyby

…NASA’s New Horizons spacecraft flies past an icy object more than 4 billion miles from Earth, known as 2014 MU69 or Ultima Thule. The piano-sized probe is due to make its closest approach at 12:33 a.m. ET on New Year’s Day (9:33 p.m. PT Monday), nearly 13 years after New Horizons’ launch and three and a half years after it flew past Pluto.

Mission managers say it’s all systems go for history’s farthest-out close encounter with a celestial body.

Into the darkness and the hush of night indeed.

Happy New Year to all Cats and Kittehs and thanks to Sinc for hosting the blog.

Something for Elle in the light of her ABBAdulation:

8. Singleton Engineer

My goodness. I just looked again at the photo… the Abba link.

Thanks for another year. I don’t always agree with the sentiments here, but I do appreciate others’ efforts and the opportunity to check my own views. All the best for 2019, whatever it brings.

9. 132andBush

Happy New Year everyone (even monty)

Thank you Sinc and everyone behind the scenes who keep this blog rolling.

Severe Thunderstorm Warning
    for DAMAGING WINDS
    For people in Central Tablelands, Central West Slopes and Plains, South West Slopes, Riverina, Lower Western and parts of Hunter, Metropolitan, Illawarra and Upper Western Forecast Districts.

Issued at 6:06 pm Monday, 31 December 2018.

Thunder heard inner west Sydney suburb.

11. thefrollickingmole

Rare picture, colorized, of Sinc in full flight this new years eve.

Keep your pecker up doomlord.
    And a better new year to everyone.

12. Rafe Champion

Bruce: I raise you Dover Beach.

And we are here as on a darkling plain
    Swept with confused alarms of struggle and flight.
    Where ignorant armies clash by night.

Just about sums it up☺

13. RobK

Mole! My eyes!
    The real rainbow warrior?

Poems of Portent! This is where we are at:

“It seems a shame,” the Walrus said,
    “To play them such a trick,
    After we’ve brought them out so far,
    And made them trot so quick!”
    The Carpenter said nothing but
    “The butter’s spread too thick!”

“I weep for you,” the Walrus said:
    “I deeply sympathize.”
    With sobs and tears he sorted out
    Those of the largest size,
    Holding his pocket-handkerchief
    Before his streaming eyes.

“O Oysters,” said the Carpenter,
    “You’ve had a pleasant run!
    Shall we be trotting home again?’
    But answer came there none–
    And this was scarcely odd, because
    They’d eaten every one.

The lesson – Don’t be a fat, juicy, easily-led oyster.

15. Grigory M

Might I suggest you grow a goatee in your time off. It would suit you.

Elle, we have never met – nor have we previously conversed. But – I support your views on the growing of a goatee. I have one myself – neatly trimmed, of course.

To all of my other Cat friends – all the best for a happy and prosperous New Year.

PS. I thoroughly recommend early retirement – my golf handicap has improved immensely.

16. Robbo

Still an ABBA fan. Thanks for the clip. Loved it.

17. Rafe Champion

Or maybe Shelley:

We decay like corpses in a charnell
    Fear and grief convulse us and consume us day by day
    While cold hopes swarm like worms within our living clay.

Sounds like the government!

18. Rafe Champion

Apart from that
    Happy New Year!

From Auckland.

19. Nato

Wishing all editors, contributors and commenters the best for the New Year. I look forward to continue reading the cat opinions, in the articles and comments throughout 2019. It’s good to be reminded that people can come to such morally different positions, by putting different weight to different arguments. You make me gregarious and more fun at parties.

20. Bruce

Super Trooper”?

Super Trouper: best song ever written about a piece of theatrical lighting eqiuipment.

“The Winner Takes it All”: superbly crafted bit of pop.

“Dancing Queen” requires a vocal range and dexterity that would floor most of today’s pretenders.

Pop: done with style and technique.

2019 will be a red letter year: the year the Liberal Party will be definitively destroyed.
    I can’t wait.

22. Elle

Thank you, calli. Muah! 🙂

I don’t wish the Liberal Party to be destroyed.
    I wish for them to get brains.
    Ditch the progressive unicorn chasing and rejoin the real world.

24. Elle

Grigory? Are you theinfamous Grigory?

25. Gab

Happy 2019 all and many thanks to our most gracious, handsome and endearing Doomlord for keeping this place going.

Lots of love from your minions.

Grigory? Are you the infamous Grigory?

Grigory is known for tenacity, sharks in Lake Macquarie and being a lot thinner than me.

Which I envy.

I wish for them to get brains.
    Ditch the progressive unicorn chasing and rejoin the real world.

You first, Bruce.

29. Elle

Bruce, Grigory apparently has a goatee. He has gone up in my estimation … just a tad 🙂

Happy New Year.

Sinc! A pic of your goatee please.

Muah, handsome! (Gab called you handsome. I’m just agreeing)

30. P

I started imbibing a little bit early tonight.
    I put up a song dead on 6.00 or soon thereafter but it didn’t come up and on repost I was informed that I had already made that comment. I guess I should have turned on the light when I filled in my email address.
    It may come up here later or tomorrow or never.

So, maybe I’ll try now and see what happens –

31. Crossie

Happy New Year everyone and may 2019 bring us better fortune than the old year.

As for ABBA, I can’t stand Dancing Queen, my favourite is Voulez Vous.

32. Memoryvault

I don’t wish the Liberal Party to be destroyed.

Bruce, how about we declare the Cat a politics-free zone?
    Just for tonight.

33. Robber Baron

Happy New Year to Sinc and all contributors to this blog. May 2019 bring much happiness to you all.

34. candy

Thanks to Prof. D. for running this most interesting blog for many years now. I have learnt so much.

There’s nothing like it anywhere else and Prof D. seems to me tolerant and amenable, a good chap.

I hope it continues for 2019.

35. P

Grigory M
    #2895773, posted on December 31, 2018 at 7:51 pm

Cheers Grigs. Enjoy your retirement. I wish you all the best for 2019.

36. Crossie

We have already had two waves of storms since six o’clock.

37. Crossie

candy
    #2895829, posted on December 31, 2018 at 9:05 pm

I hope it continues for 2019.

Agreed, even though he gets a bee i his bonnet about Malcolm every now and then.

Speaking of bees, I got stung by a wasp this morning in the garden and took an antihistamine tablet. Am I safe to have some bubbly at midnight?

38. Memoryvault

Am I safe to have some bubbly at midnight?

Largely depends on how many bottles you drink beforehand.

39. Nob

Happy New Year all, another year on the road for me.

I’m just floundering around in the real world of business and engineering.
    Real life to me anyway.

It’s been interesting for me coming here to get some perspectives on economic and political theories and activities that help explain what I see happening all around me. And even predict to some extent, but I’ve always relied on informed intuition for that.

our most gracious, handsome and endearing Doomlord

Harumph.

41. Crossie

Memoryvault
    #2895836, posted on December 31, 2018 at 9:19 pm
    Am I safe to have some bubbly at midnight?

Largely depends on how many bottles you drink beforehand.

None yet, didn’t want to sleep through the fireworks and the countdown.

42. None

Happy New Year to all cats and kittehs and especially to the Doomlord. Safe travels to those on the road. Come back Arky.

43. Memoryvault

None yet, didn’t want to sleep through the fireworks and the countdown.

Come midnight if you can still count down – or up – you aren’t doing it right.
    The ideal state is to be falling down drunk – without actually falling.

But I admit it takes decades of practice.

44. struth

Practice perfected………..
    The stress relief knowing Arky is fine has meant I’ve fallen in a hunken dreep.

Happy New Year to you all.
    I’m out.

45. Rae

We will be glad to put 2018 behind us. Hopefully, 2019 will be a better year.

46. Old School Conservative

What a coincidence! BiL and I were just talking about Abba.
    Well, the girls in their togas actually, but I digress.

Happy New Year to all who frequent these pages. Thanks Sinc for the opportunity to be informed, amused, and triggered. This place is the closest thing to free speech in Australia and must be valued.

47. Crossie

vlad
    #2895885, posted on December 31, 2018 at 10:41 pm
    Good night.

This is supposed to be the New Year’s Eve thread yet all the action is on the Open Forum. Typical.

48. Rossini

Happy New Year to all!
    Late late night last night so I’m off to bed!

Come midnight if you can still count down – or up – you aren’t doing it right.
    The ideal state is to be falling down drunk – without actually falling.

Spare a thought for those of us, who were a bit slow ducking for cover, and are on call out with the local fire brigade, would you?

50. Crossie

I haven’t started drinking yet so I must be the only one still sober and awake.

51. vlad

I’m awake, Crossie. One out of two ain’t bad.

Hoping this site in 2019 will continue (?) to be a place of intellectual breadth, depth, of wit and generosity of spirit.

I could really use a burger right now too.

52. mareeS

Bah Humbug. 2019 isn’t going to be rejoyceful. Except I invented a new word.

53. mareeS

Crapful might be the second new word for 2019, although it is 11.29pm,EST in Australia.

54. Memoryvault

Sheesh.
    A bloke does a bit of partying for the first time in four years, and you pair write him off.

55. mareeS

BTW, we haven’t had any alcohol tonight, but we have had a brilliant thunderstorm , and the cats cowering. Nice night to stay in.

56. Snoopy

Rae
    #2895869, posted on December 31, 2018 at 10:08 pm
    We will be glad to put 2018 behind us. Hopefully, 2019 will be a better year.

Unjustified optimism gives me the shits.

57. JohnA

Old School Conservative #2895870, posted on December 31, 2018, at 10:09 pm

What a coincidence! BiL and I were just talking about Abba.
    Well, the girls in their togas actually, but I digress.

Indeed, thanks to all Cats here – this site has encouraged me to persevere in reading Adam Smith. I am currently 51% into Wealth of Nations via Kindle on my phone.

Yes, and happy new year to all, as the time approaches the AEDT equivalent of midnight.

58. Confused Old Misfit

Have a Happy One Gang!

59. Crossie

mareeS
    #2895914, posted on December 31, 2018 at 11:27 pm
    Bah Humbug. 2019 isn’t going to be rejoyceful. Except I invented a new word.

Please don’t say that, 2018 was bad enough, personally and politically.

60. Memoryvault

Please don’t say that, 2018 was bad enough, personally and politically.

Depends on your point of view.
    In March Mrs MV was advised to make plans with a funeral director.
    For me.

In July, after two bouts of intense open heart surgery, I started rehab.

Now I’m walking unaided for the first time in four years.

From my perspective, 2018 was a bloody fantastic year.
    I survived it.

From my perspective, 2018 was a bloody fantastic year.
    I survived it.

All the best for the New Year, Memoryvault.

62. Memoryvault

And best wishes to you and yours, Zulu.

63. Gab

Aww, you’re still my Numero Uno, CL.

Happy and blessed 2019. xx

64. Old School Conservative

Great comeback MV.
    Can you send some of what you’re drinking to the Aussie cricket team?

65. Memoryvault

Can you send some of what you’re drinking to the Aussie cricket team?

Alas OSC, I can only handle the improbable.
    Miracles are out of my league.

Cheers Grigs. Enjoy your retirement.

From the sock drawer.

67. thefrollickingmole

On the way to work and the first song on the radio..

Abba.
    SOS

I think the universe is telling me wee Willy Shorten is due to be elected…