Monday Forum: February 11, 2019

1,445 Responses to Monday Forum: February 11, 2019

Jimmy Dore and the panel ain’t that smart either.

Agreed. Not as clever as they think they are. And it fairly oozes from them.

2. Crossie

Oh…and these survivors still find NO relief in knowing what happened over 70 years ago….they still have nightmares, they are still possessed with fear, they still wake screaming….you fucking AMA dickhead….you are a disgrace to the medical profession.

Oh..and please tell me how that is similar to what is happening on Manus and Nauru?

I can’t believe this country anymore….I just can’t believe it.

Cassie, these are lefties and to them the end justifies any means. I have long ago ceased to take notice of any pronouncements from the AMA whether health related or political.

Whenever anybody starts about the illegals in Nauru or Manus Island I reply that they are all free to go home.

3. Makka

SMH:

Storm-o-nomics: Why Australia should be more prepared for extreme weather

Stormonomics, ffs.

4. Geriatric Mayfly

Cassie, the Daily Telegraph is running with that story, and allowing comments. Want to try their site?

Cassie. I hope your realise it’s A Doctor you are talking about here.

5. Cassie of Sydney

“Jimmy Dore and the panel ain’t that smart either.”

Agree.

Storm-o-nomics: Why Australia should be more prepared for extreme weather

Sh1tStorm-o-nomics?

7. Elizabeth (Lizzie) Beare

I can’t believe this country anymore….I just can’t believe it.

You are very justifiably angry at that stupid AMA comment, Cassie. It was made by someone obviously so full of their own virtue-signaling that they have lost all touch with reality. That is hubris in its most real and extreme form. I have heard of an Australian family who managed to push their six year old between the bars of a cattle truck at an unknown stop with the instruction to run, to find some kind people, and live. Which is what happened. The rest of the family were gassed. How one could imagine knowing what was going to happen to them was in some way ‘comforting’ I just cannot possibly concede.

The people in our detention centres are free to live there, to gain medical attention and funding for small luxuries as well as necessities, to work locally, to make a life for themselves, to look at other options, to stay with their children and even to go back home as a family with money and help if they wish to do so, as they have already been determined as not under any real threat there. How anyone can equate this with the stories we know of the holocaust is simply beyond contemplating in any rational way.

8. DrBeauGan

9. Nick

Moot point

Old School Conservative
    #2930486, posted on February 11, 2019 at 10:42 am
    Tony Jones slowly leaving [email protected]?
    What will that do to the Cat interruption lotto dynamic?
    We will have to adjust out number selections every time a different presenter fronts up.
    #firstworldproblems

I’ll take that as a comment.

11. bespoke

Elizabeth (Lizzie) Beare
    #2930884, posted on February 11, 2019 at 6:46 pm
    Badly-fitting shoes. Now there’s a topic. They’ve been around since the Ugly Sisters banned Cinderella from that [email protected] Personally, I don’t try to fit my feet or any other part of me into something ill-fitting. 🙂

Mark A has box full of stilettos and the more ill-fitting the better the thrill apparently.

12. Percy Popinjay

How many Australians suffer discomfort, pain or die while watching the ALPBC?

This is why it must be shut down, toot sweet.

13. Elle

Do you ever smile, BeaugGan? My posts are light hearted. Not sorry you don’t like them and feel the need to criticize. I don’t know about you, but I confront bad ass crims during my working day and night. I have hair. I tend to let it down. The Cat open forum welcomes men and women. And it’s good to see strong women here.

Touted replacements for Jones include:

Virginia Trioli
    Annabelle Crabb
    Julia Baird
    Hamish McDonald
    Ellen Fanning
    Steve Cannane.

The Craw Crab tipped to get the gig?

Cassie, what troubles me is that there is a high representation of J-ws in the medical profession. Are they going along with the odious AMA line, or are they protesting?

There is a tendency to keep a low profile (for obvious reasons). I do hope they are not throwing their poor parents’ and grandparents’ experiences on the scrapheap for expediency’s sake.

16. DrBeauGan

Percy Popinjay
    #2930922, posted on February 11, 2019 at 7:11 pm
    How many Australians suffer discomfort, pain or die while watching the ALPBC?

This is why it must be shut down, toot sweet.

I never watch it. The Q&A thread is bad enough for my health.

All the little freedoms are worth fighting for.

First they came for the shoes and handbags…

It’s not intended to be rational, quite the opposite. The purpose is to link emotive power words to other political concepts and thus slurp the life out of that word and apply it to a cause. There’s some standard techniques they use:

* Moronic oversimplification, dividing the world into basically just good and bad, without any detailed definition of what good and bad is, other than “When we do it, that’s good. When they do it, that’s bad.”

* Unabashed hypocrisy … change at will, move on, never look back, never apologize. Everything is a short term tactic.

* Brutal repetition … hammering the cortex until ideas will automatically spring to mind without any memory of how that got there.

* Language hijacking … stealing words and twisting them around. Words with positive connotations get stolen and used out of context as if they somehow would lend their positive connotations to the leftist policy. Words with negative connotations get thrown as ammunition at opponents absolutely regardless of any justification for doing that, no explanation, no chain of logic, nothing. Load and launch … that’s it.

19. Cassie of Sydney

“DrBeauGan
    #2930912, posted on February 11, 2019 at 7:04 pm
    When we go underground, I think the resistance should be restricted to men. I doubt if freedom of speech to explain how well your clothes and shoes fit is worth fighting for.”

Really? My stilettos will be very useful in the resistance….and I know exactly where to aim them.

20. Percy Popinjay

First they came for the shoes and handbags…

And then the unmanicured eyebrows.

Shocking gaffe exposes docs’ real agenda
    CAROLINE MARCUS
    Caroline Marcus
    in 5 hours

The problem with Kerryn Phelps’ medivac bill is many doctors have a far greater interest in activism than they do national security.

The proposed legislation from the cross bencher and past president of the Australian Medical Association (AMA) essentially transfers responsibility about border protection from the government to medicos, who will be tasked with determining who needs to come here for medical treatment.

But the peak body representing registered medical practitioners yesterday belled the cat on the real political game it’s playing.

In urging the government to pass the bill, AMA’s federal executive, paediatrician Dr Paul Bauert, had the gall to compare asylum seekers in offshore processing to Joows slaughtered at Auschwitz.

“The main problem these people have is a lack of meaning, a lack of any end to what’s going on, a lack of certainty,” Dr Bauert told Sky News. “Even those that finally knew they were about to be condemned to the gas chamber at least found some sense of relief in knowing what was happening.”

“Relief”? Seriously?

Who is the good doctor getting his talking points from — Father Rod Bower, who at the end of last year used his woke Gosford Anglican Church sign to virtue signal that “Manus is how the Holocaust started”?

Not only is Dr Bauert factually wrong — many in concentration camps didn’t know they were about to be gassed, rather they thought they were simply about to have a shower or be treated for lice — but trivialising the Holocaust to score a political point about offshore processing is deeply offensive to survivors and victims’ families.

“The Holocaust was a systematic attempt on an industrial scale to exterminate an entire people,” said the Australian Joowish Association’s Dr David Adler, also a former AMA NSW deputy medical secretary.

“Whatever your view of offshore detention, it is nothing of the sort and to link the two is as ridiculous as it is offensive.

“It saddens me to see a once prestigious and highly professional body fracture into an ill-informed political activist group. No wonder AMA membership has declined dramatically and only a minority of doctors belong.”

Ouch.

Invoking Godwin’s Law, which holds that the longer a discussion continues the greater the likelihood that a comparison to the Nazis will arise, leaves observers in no doubt that for some medical groups, this issue has become as much about political activism as altruism.

22. DrBeauGan

Elle
    #2930923, posted on February 11, 2019 at 7:13 pm

You tend to have three topics, Elle. The fact that you are a dzhw, sex, and your job and meeting crims. The last is the only one that interests me. By all means tell us more.

Have a try walking the Kokoda Track in badly fitting shoes. Tell us how you get on, but please no photo!!

Numpty, I know these facts I’ve posted annoy you.

They “facts” actually hilarious, because they just destroyed your own argument. In fact thanks for doing the work for me. 🙂

Your mission here is to convince everyone that for Australia, high immigration, low wages, open borders and bespoke barista employment is the utopian future for us all. Though it really does get up your nose when your scam is exposed.

Not really, but I also love your low wages bullshit when Australia has the highest minimum wages in the world. Everything you say is wrong. You’re like the Cat’s Midas in reverse. Everything you touch turns to shit.

I get it. So calm down, go back to regailing us about your NY apartment reno.

No. it’s more fun giving you a backhander.

Open handed swing? Lol. A shortarse like you couldn’t reach it.

You’re going into those delusional trances again. You prove once again that it’s the human brain behind the machine rather than the other way around.

‘Jones will head to Asia with his wife, departing Four Corners host Sarah Ferguson, to accompany her in her new role as the ABC’s China bureau chief.’

Snowboat to China?

26. Percy Popinjay

FFS, could they just go back to calling themselves the Doctors’ Reform Society and be done with it?

Ooops – forgot Iowahawk’s rule:

1. Identify a respected institution.
    2. kill it.
    3. gut it.
    4. wear its carcass as a skin suit, while demanding respect.

27. thefrollickingmole

Wellington
    Grant
    The conquest of Mexico
    Iron Kingdom

There goes a tenner (or 10)
    Thanks for the book recommends

but I confront bad ass crims during my working day and night.

As a cop or a guard?

29. Beertruk

This should be interesting for the fans of ‘Interruption Lotto’ :
    Jordan Peterson has received an offer to appear on the ABC’s panel show, Q&A — and he has accepted.

The Australian understands that Peterson has agreed to appear on the show live from Melbourne, on Monday, February 25.

It will be Peterson’s first appearance on Q&A, after the program was, lamentably and controversially, unable to accommodate him during his sold-out lecture tour in 2018.

Peterson last week returned to Australia for a second series of sold-out lectures based around his runaway bestseller, Twelve Rules for Life: an Antidote to Chaos.

As The Weekend Australian reported, he had not been scheduled to appear on Q&A during this year’s tour, either.

Peterson, a Canadian psychologist, is a controversial figure, having been accused of misogyny, transphobia, racism, and bigotry.

He says he merely speaks common sense about the differences between the sexes.

He shot to fame around the world after a bruising intellectual clash with a Channel Four presenter, Cathy Newman.

She was accused of verballing him; he of holding his nerve in the face of left-wing bias.

Their stoush was over the gender pay gap: Peterson argues that if it exists at all, it is largely the outcome of choices made by mothers, who prefer to work part-time after the arrival of children.

Tickets for Peterson’s Opera House show on Saturday sold out in less than three minutes.

Several new shows, at venues around Australia, were later added, to accommodate fans.

Resale tickets to his free-form, unscripted lectures on the meaning of life are now changing hands online for more than $900 a pop.

Readers of The Australian were divided at the weekend over whether Peterson should accept an offer from Q&A, were one to be made.

“The problem is that on Q&A JP would be flat out finishing a sentence before Tony Jones cuts him off. It wouldn’t be worth his while — in fact it would be a great insult as he would be treated so rudely,” said one.

“Judging by past performance he’d knock them all into a cocked hat. They know it and he won’t be invited,” said another.

“JP doesn’t need to go anywhere near Q&A to get his message across. I am surprised by the number of Millennials who already know who he is, and what he stands for. In other words, they are fed up with the nonsense they have been indoctrinated with in the classroom, and are craving knowledge,” chimed another.

“If the Q&A gang could be made to shut up, listen and engage in civil conversation, it would be worth Peterson being there.”

The ABC has confirmed that Tony Jones, who is due to stand down as host toward the end of the year, and do fewer programs than normal in 2019, will host the Peterson panel.

There was some support for Peterson appearing with one of the ABC’s regular stand-ins.

“This guy deserves his own Q&A. With (Virginia) Trioli,” said one.

Comment is being sought from the ABC.

Linky.

30. Nick

Snowboat to China?

That’s good

31. DrBeauGan

calli
    #2930932, posted on February 11, 2019 at 7:17 pm
    All the little freedoms are worth fighting for.

First they came for the shoes and handbags…

First they will come for CL and Makka. The shoes will be left until last.

only a minority of doctors belong.

It’s optional, is it? That answers my question. Thank you.

I thought all docs had to belong to the AMA.

34. MatrixTransform

By all means tell us more.

I agree.
    how do you do it Elle? ninja skills?

and the other thing … why dont you clean yr own pipes?

You behave like yr the very first to try to sneak yr politic into a forum by climbing to the tippy-top of the victim totem

She’s beautiful, Arky!

How is your other little lady? Will she be back as your apprentice soon?

Headline: Alpha lobster accepts offer from jelly backs at Aunty.

37. Elle

I have many topics to discuss, DrBG. Maybe chat one day at a Friday catch up, if you attend.

38. DrBeauGan

Cassie of Sydney
    #2930934, posted on February 11, 2019 at 7:17 pm
    “DrBeauGan
    #2930912, posted on February 11, 2019 at 7:04 pm

I wasn’t entirely serious, Cassie, but I was pointing out that not all posts here would be liable to censorship.

Maybe we should have a tough chicks category as well. You just have to stick to your principles to qualify, as long as the principles aren’t exclusively about clothes and makeup.

39. Elle

Arky! That is impressive, Bro! Well done!

40. Top Ender

Daily Tele story allowed my comment, and I don’t have a subscription. Go to

to give the AMA the arsekicking they deserve for the Holocaust comment.

Arky

WTF are you doing with that thing?

42. Percy Popinjay

TE – your link doesn’t work.

43. Crossie

After switching channels yet again rather than watch one of Clive’s ads it just occurred to me that he is the other side of Turnbull’s coin. Their mission is to destroy the government and the country who have failed to apprciate them.

I think we’re going for the record on February 25, Carpe: the “40% Coalition voters” will magically undergo a Greenfilth conversion and will be screaming their lungs out to ensure Peterson can’t be heard.

Have there been 1000 Q&A interruptions? I feel we are on the verge of a record.

Just as well the Cat pays Carpe Jugulum the big bucks to moderate this important weekly contest.

45. Beertruk

Tom
    #2930973, posted on February 11, 2019 at 7:43 pm

Carpe is truly a ‘man amongst men.’
    There is no way I could sit through what he does on Monday nights.

46. Elle

I agree.
    how do you do it Elle? ninja skills?

Matrix; another who is following me.

I am a complex gal. Very complex. I have references.

Is this becoming a sport?

No tasers please.

47. zyconoclast

Can Q&A now be correctly renamed Queers and Arses?

Did VicPol arrest anyone over the assault on Andrew Bolt (caught on video)?

Ahahahahahaha.

49. MatrixTransform

another who is following me.

you wish, you self absorbed retard

Robert Spencer is down on the pope:

Pope Francis and the Grand Sheikh of al-Azhar, Ahmed el-Tayeb, have published “A Document On Human Fraternity for World Peace and Living Together” during the Pope’s trip to the United Arab Emirates. It’s as filled with falsehoods and wishful thinking as one would expect coming from a practiced deceiver such as el-Tayeb and someone so eager to be deceived as Pope Francis.
    Here’s one of its egregiously false statements:
    Terrorism is deplorable and threatens the security of people, be they in the East or the West, the North or the South, and disseminates panic, terror and pessimism, but this is not due to religion, even when terrorists instrumentalize it. It is due, rather, to an accumulation of incorrect interpretations of religious texts and to policies linked to hunger, poverty, injustice, oppression and pride. This is why it is so necessary to stop supporting terrorist movements fuelled by financing, the provision of weapons and strategy, and by attempts to justify these movements even using the media. All these must be regarded as international crimes that threaten security and world peace. Such terrorism must be condemned in all its forms and expressions…

Grammys are now awarded for brownness and vulvas, apparently.

The Grammy Awards make a push for inclusivity as Childish Gambino, Kasey Musgraves honoured.

The Grammys have made a push toward inclusivity and attempted to atone for last year’s controversy about the underrepresentation of women and minorities, as a diverse field of artists was honoured at America’s major music awards.

52. zyconoclast

Building a wall? Crickets…

Is this what US Congressman get paid to do?

One of my greatest honors is leading new members on a bipartisan trip to Israel to showcase the shared values and unbreakable bond between our countries.

53. zyconoclast

Reeling from blackface furor, Northam vows to ‘take a harder line’ on Confederate monuments

Embattled Virginia Gov. Ralph Northam says that he wants to take down Confederate statues and monuments in the state.

“I will take a harder line,” Northam told the Washington Post amid a scandal stemming from a racist photograph on his medical school yearbook page. “If there are statues, if there monuments out there that provoke this type of hatred and bigotry, they need to be in museums.”

Northam is facing calls to resign after a his page from the 1984 yearbook that includes an image of an individual in blackface and another in a Ku Klux Klan robe and hood surfaced. Northam, who initially apologized for the photo, later claimed he is neither of the individuals in it but appeared in blackface as Michael Jackson for a dance competition that same year.

54. Nick

The Grammys, meh. It would be interesting to see the list of good acts who never won one.

55. Did VicPol arrest anyone over the assault on Andrew Bolt (caught Ca video)?

Ahahahahahaha.

Indeed. However, I don’t find this naivety touching any longer.

56. Cassie of Sydney

“cohenite
    #2930982, posted on February 11, 2019 at 7:54 pm
    Robert Spencer is down on the pope:”

I am a great admirer of Robert Spencer.

57. Has any journalist asked Dr Phelps about the asylum seeker brought here for treatment and who then sexually assaulted a nurse in the hospital ?

58. Arky

#2930970, posted on February 11, 2019 at 7:38 pm
    Arky
    WTF are you doing with that thing?

Turning it 180 degrees?

Elle, don’t listen to the noise from the cheap seats. But you knew that.

60. Arky

How is your other little lady? Will she be back as your apprentice soon?

School holiday job.
    Unpaid.

61. Peter Greagg

I see the Cat is now open for music tonight.
    Check this out — The Rolling Stones with Lady Gaga. Her boots are amazing. She appeares around 1:04 min point. This song is one of my favourite songs of the Stones. Although I prefer the version with Mick Taylor on his Les Paul.

62. Infidel Tiger

Eduard Habsburg
    @EduardHabsburg
    Apropos demografics: 🇭🇺 Orbán gvt family politics helped lowering abortions by 1/3, divorces declined – and marriages went steeply up (42%). Wants to massively encourage young couples to have children in coming years (link: http://abouthungary.hu/blog/national-consultation-on-family-policy-to-kick-off-soon/) abouthungary.hu/blog/n

This is incredible. This is what righteousness looks like.

63. Cassie of Sydney

“C.L.
    #2930979, posted on February 11, 2019 at 7:51 pm
    Did VicPol arrest anyone over the assault on Andrew Bolt (caught on video)?

Ahahahahahaha.”

Not as far as I am aware….unless it has been suppressed and judicial suppression is quite the norm in Victoria.

64. MatrixTransform

rescuers and victims … always looking for a perp

65. Peter Greagg

appears not appeares. Damn Skynet!

66. zyconoclast

UK Hospital admissions for youths assaulted with sharp objects up almost 60%

Teenagers accounted for more than 1,000 admissions to hospital as a result of assaults with a knife or sharp object last year, NHS figures show.

Admissions for all injuries caused by an assault with knife or other sharp objects have gone up by almost a third since 2012-13, from 3,849 to 4,986 last year.

However, admissions involving youngsters aged between 10 and 19 increased nearly twice as fast, with 656 hospital admissions in 2012-13 up to 1,012 last year – a rise of around 55%.

Doctors warned that high street sales of knives is helping to fuel the rise in stabbings, and called on retailers to do more to stem the tide of available weapons.

School holiday job.
    Unpaid.

I know that type of job well. Got the scars to prove it. And still delight in giving Dad a hand in the workshop.

68. Mater

This should be interesting for the fans of ‘Interruption Lotto’ :

Seeing as though Jones has just announced his retirement, if I were Peterson, I’d be watching for the kamikaze attack.

69. Infidel Tiger

Tony MOkbel stabbed.

Nothing suss at all about the timing.

Chicago on the Yarra.

70. Elle

I’m 100% all good, Tom. 🙂

Haven’t scrolled back, but if you are awake, see you on the Q&A thread.

71. Crossie

Robert Spencer is down on the pope:

And so are many Catholics, me included.

72. Crossie

zyconocclast
    #2931007, posted on February 11, 2019 at 8:10 pm
    Taking tips from Macron in arrogance

Taoiseach Leo Veruca :

“I am the European Union when it comes to these matters.

With that sort of hubris on display could Nemesis be far behind?

73. zyconoclast

UK, Norway, Iceland agree on citizens’ rights if no-deal Brexit

Britain and the so-called EEA EFTA countries, Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway, have reached an agreement on citizens’ rights should Britain leave the EU without a withdrawal agreement, Iceland’s government said on Friday.

“The agreement protects the rights of EEA EFTA citizens living in the UK and British citizens living in the EEA EFTA states, providing certainty that they can continue to do so in the event of a no-deal Brexit,” the Icelandic government said in a statement.

“This means that citizens’ residence rights have been secured regardless of the outcome of the negotiations between the EU and the UK,” Iceland, an EU outsider, said.

74. zyconoclast

You cant make this stuff up

Fifty Februarys ago former High Court Justice Michael Kirby met a dashing Dutchman called Johan van Vloten, on a hot summer’s night at the Bottoms Up bar of the old Rex Hotel in Kings Cross.

On Monday night, half a century to the day later, the two men were married before family and close friends at their Bondi Junction home. It was a small celebration for a big love affair.

75. rickw

The Chicom drones are hard at work down voting this one:

Tony Jones is joined in Melbourne by Liberal Member for Corangamite Sarah Henderson; Shadow Attorney-General Mark Dreyfus; Crikey founder Stephen Mayne, businesswoman Megan Purcell and People’s Panellist Zoya Patel.

77. rickw

Doctors don’t have a clue about most things.

78. Elle

LOL indeed, Nick. Really?
    If only the women haters here realised that the women on this blog have your back and fight for you guys every fucking day. We defend you blokes – your whiteness, your maleness – it can’t be lost. You are our past and future that I hold onto.
    Why the resistance?
    Why the criticism?

79. Crossie

See, it can be done even if Juncker, Angela and Macron object. Come to think of it, the French should be left to the tender mercies of the Germans.

80. Empire 5:5

Elle
    #2931025, posted on February 11, 2019 at 8:29 pm
    LOL indeed, Nick. Really?
    Why the resistance?
    Why the criticism?

Chill sister. Your service is appreciated.

81. Crossie

egg_
    #2931023, posted on February 11, 2019 at 8:29 pm

There it is, The Uniparty. Photios couldn’t make it?

82. Nick

Get over yourself Elle, it’s a reaction to a post by someone else.

83. Cassie of Sydney

“Elle
    #2931025, posted on February 11, 2019 at 8:29 pm
    LOL indeed, Nick. Really?
    Why the resistance?
    Why the criticism?”

Hear hear Elle

84. bespoke

Who are the women haters, Elle?

85. Empire 5:5

Then what? The war on forks?

Use logic: what is a perpetrator?

How did these people graduate from university?

86. Empire 5:5

More to the point, why is this nonsense published?

87. Nick

Who are the women haters, Elle?

Was the video even watched ?

Ladies please. Stop the squabbling as it’s not that sort of blog.

89. Cassie of Sydney

“Snoopy
    #2931034, posted on February 11, 2019 at 8:35 pm
    Gays have no future.”

They won’t under the caliphate. Guys will certainly have a future under the caliphate.

Qanda is making it harder this year to check out the bios. Got to justify all those web designers somehow I suppose.

Zoya Patel
    She is the Founding Editor of independent feminist journal, Feminartsy, through which she publishes the work of writers from across Australia, hosts monthly feminist reading nights, and co-hosts the Read Like a Feminist bookclub.

Oops my PC bingo card just caught fire.
    Am I right in thinking this is another 6-0 closed shop?

91. Snoopy

Gays have no future.”

They won’t under the caliphate.

They don’t have any future, period. Hey, but let’s celebrate sodomy!

92. Arky

I am calling for Bespoke, and anyone else posting videos of gingers in the shower, to be banned from this site in perpetuity.

93. Elle

Snoopy, my comment about celebrating sodomy was satire; following EvilElvis’s funny post on the subject.

Zoya Patel …the Founding Editor of independent feminist journal, Feminartsy, through which she publishes the work of writers from across Australia, hosts monthly feminist reading nights, and co-hosts the Read Like a Feminist bookclub.

The Australian Peoples’ Choice!

95. Arky

As long as no gingers are involved, I might let you get away with a small amount of sodomy.
    Don’t do it again.

96. John Constantine

social media storm has erupted after news the speed limit on a popular stretch of Victoria’s Great Ocean Road has been reduced from 80km/h to just 20km/h.

The go-slow near the popular tourist spot, the Twelve Apostles, will be temporarily enforced all February, due to an influx of tourists during Chinese New Year.

Newly-erected warning signs in Mandarin also remind foreign motorists not to drive on the wrong side of the road.

Big Australia has made us so rich we can afford to drive at twenty kilometers an hour and have our road signs in Mandarin.

Comrades.

Anyone notice the new hotness in causes?
    ABC and Waleed Aly tonight on The Project cooperating with the RMIT Innocence Project.
    The beneficiaries of this noble campaigning never seem to be white males.

Isn’t that just a tad racist?

Racial profiling, no less?

In Victoria, Australia’s most progressive state? For shame!

99. Snoopy

TheirABC and RMIT got a room long ago.

100. Nick

Chinese tourists en masse eh? Woe betide any ginkgo bushes or random fruit trees.

101. Q&A forum is open

Bidding for Interruption Lotto has commenced.

Infidel Tiger

#2931005, posted on February 11, 2019 at 8:08 pm

Tony MOkbel stabbed.

Nothing suss at all about the timing.

Chicago on the Yarra.

No doubt Tony is a crook.
    But really?
    The biggest target brought down by the biggest dumbarse informant scheme in history which will probably see 2, maybe 3, ex Commissioners in the dock, and Tony and scores of other chaps having convictions quashed and probably collecting more compo than they ever (allegedly) made out of (alleged) substance wholesaling and retailing.
    Yesterday the story runs that Tony is “top dog” in Barwon and is running a “reign of terror”.
    When I read that I thought “Stay in your room, Tony, and drink bottled water and canned beans until further notice”.
    Today the “feared top dog” cops a carving knife between the ribs.
    Yep.
    It is just a dispute over stolen ciggies.

103. Elle

It’s been a while since I’ve been on the Q&A thread. Shift change. See you there!

104. John Constantine

Australia’s largest pastoral company says it has lost thousands of cattle in unprecedented flooding, including almost 30,000 head on one of its Gulf of Carpentaria stations alone.

Big company with the ability to raise capital through share issues [ if the major shareholder agrees] AAC will be able to redevelop its gulf stations using the asset base of the rest of the business. Still take a long time for these stations to return to cash flow positive instead of soaking up resources.

Individual stations without heavy capital backing and years to get back to profit might wonder if it is better to take the money and run.

Their abc is likely to support ‘rural conservative independents for climate change and Stalin’ in the flooded areas, to chip away at rural tory seats and put turnbullites in them.

Comrades.

105. max

Carl Williams first.

Then Mokbel.

Anyone else want to get access to the Lawyer X papers ?

All those Victorians who take little interest in politics, this is the insane garbage you voted for last November. The Great Ocean Road is a major highway, now reduced to a minor goat track cut off from the rest of the world economy by idiotic government regulation.

This is what Dickhead Dan’s CFMEU caliphate has delivered to towns like Lorne and Apollo Bay. They will wither and die.

Be interesting to see how many cyclists get booked for speeding on the Great Ocean Road.
    Even some of the more enthusiastic joggers might be booked.
    Heaven help any jogger who runs over a Chinese tourist.

max

#2931077, posted on February 11, 2019 at 9:15 pm

Carl Williams first.

Then Mokbel.

Anyone else want to get access to the Lawyer X papers ?

The biggest barrow load of steaming bullshit is that Lawyer X’s name need to be suppressed because crime king-pins would be after her.
    Pig’s arse.
    Think about it.
    The best thing Mokbel & Co could do would be to keep Lawyer X in cotton wool until she gets to give evidence to the RC.
    She (oops, or possibly he) is their ticket to get out of jail and collect Big Compo.
    So, really, for those who don’t already know, I can tell you that Lawyer X is N… [that is quite enough LL. I may be in San Fran wearing flowers in my hair, but I am still watching you. Behave. … Sinc.)

Penny Wong flags split between Labor and government on national security legislation

Joe Kelly
    Political Reporter
    @joekellyoz
    22 minutes ago February 11, 2019
    No Comments

Opposition Senate Leader Penny Wong has flagged a split between Labor and the government over proposed changes that would make it easier to strip the citizenship of dual nationals convicted of terrorist offences.

Senator Wong told caucus this evening that Labor MPs were “likely to issue a dissenting report” against the bill. The overhaul would remove the requirement for a person to be sentenced to at least six years imprisonment for a terrorist offence in order to be eligible for the stripping of their Australian citizenship.

The government has described the overhaul as a key measure to “keep Australians safe from evolving terrorist threats” and comes after Scott Morrison used a key address to the National Press Club in Canberra to target Labor over national security.

The Prime Minister said the government had passed 12 tranches of national security legislation, but took aim at Labor’s approach to the security changes.

“I’ve got to say, on almost every occasion, Labor has been dragged to support this vital legislation and then, only having sought to water it down, try and claim bipartisanship,” Mr Morrison said.

From the Oz.

110. zyconoclast

NSW Greens push for mandatory solar and batteries for all new homes

The Greens would also introduce a $2000 rebate for the introduction of panels plus storage for half a million homes as part of $1.25 billion boost over four years for the sector.

All public housing and government buildings would get panels too at a cost of $250 million, with 110,000 public housing tenants in line to receive electricity rebates, according to the Greens’ policy aimed at the March 23 state election.

“It is negligent that in 2019 we have over 70,000 new dwellings in NSW every year and no requirement for solar panels on these developments,” Cate Faehrmann, the Greens environment spokeswoman, said. Owners of new dwellings would pay into a renewable energy offset scheme as an alternative to adding panels or storage.

The Greens’ policy follows Labor’s launch on Saturday of its plan to support 500,000 households get solar, with a rebate capped at $2200 for households with annual income of $180,000 or less.

The Berejiklian government followed a day later with the release of a scheme offering no-interest loans for solar energy and batteries for as many as 300,000 owner-occupied households.

For those living in flats or renting, the Greens would set up an offset scheme to buy credits for solar arrays on their building or offsite. Some 20 per cent of all private dwellings in the state are apartments, while about 32 per cent of residents are renting – people who are currently “locked out of the benefits of roof top solar,” the Greens said.

Ha, ha, Nick.
    The the other farcical thing about the suppression of Lawyer X’s name is that it is public knowledge that she (oops, possibly he) acted for Mock-bell and other and other (alleged) crooks.
    Crooks tend to be loyal to briefs who get them off, so I am thinking that Mock-bell could cull his shortlist of possible Lawyer X candidates who might fit the frame down to about one.
    Everyone knows that she (or possibly he) is from the well known legal family, the … [you are sailing close to the wind LL. Cut it out … Sinc]

112. Boambee John

So the Slime will tax them, take the cut for administrators, then give them a subdidy?

Actually, the RMIT Innocence Initiative has taken on a white Australian’s cause.
    Keli Lane.
    She totally just lost that baby.
    Could happen to anyone.

114. MatrixTransform

you blokes – your whiteness, your maleness

who knew femsplaining was even a thing?

115. Zyconoclast

Keli Lane.
    She totally just lost that baby.
    Could happen to anyone.

Post birth abortion?

116. Zyconoclast

We Built the 2006-2007 Wall: ‘Over 100 Miles in 90 Days’
    By Jonathon Moseley
    “We built over 100 miles in only 90 days,” explains James Bonk. Bonk was a consultant and manager among the team of companies who in 2006-2008 built and extended much of the border wall that already exists today along the USA’s southern border with Mexico, in the Goldwater and Yuma sectors. The prime contractor was Boeing, but there were many subcontractors. More recently, Bonk has been involved in planning border walls in Spain and in Israel. He has worked with a variety of major companies and different engineering designs for fences and barriers.

Actual experience in building miles of border wall argues for a so-called Bollard wall or fence, or the design of vertical steel rods or “slats” (perhaps some other metal, but metal) promoted by Trump more recently. (“Bollards are upright steel posts mounted in or alongside roads and parking lots to control, direct, or obstruct vehicular traffic or impact,” says the Long Fence Co.)

James Bonk came to speak at the Northern Virginia Tea Party, skeptical of discussions about Trump’s border wall being solid concrete slabs. From his years of experience, transporting giant concrete slabs to the middle of nowhere would be expensive and inefficient. He has worked on concrete wall projects but would not recommend that design on the wilderness frontier. Mixing and pouring concrete slabs on site in the middle of nowhere would be difficult. Logistics and transport of components are an important part of any such project.

Opponents of a border wall keep saying we must listen to experts. Along with border patrol agents on duty, those experts include those like James Bonk, who have actually built the parts of the border wall we have now. But those experts and border patrol agents on site are calling for a metal wall of vertical pipes or slats they can see through, which is exactly what Trump is now promoting.

James Bonk is concerned that bureaucrats a decade ago sabotaged and undermined the project with “designed to fail” illogical requirements and that ideas being discussed today are similarly aimed at intentionally failing in the project. The wall-building project abruptly stopped when Barack Obama became president. Nevertheless, despite the hindrances, they successfully built hundreds of miles.

This author asked James Bonk about the problems of building in or near the Rio Grande in the flood plains along the border of Texas. Not even remotely a problem was among the lessons learned from experience. A concrete foundation would not need to be laid in the lowlands.

One of the best techniques would be to dig a trench and then bury a steel “footer” deep into the ground. The metal plate serving as the buried foundation would have legs or wings out to each side to make the wall stay upright. The vertical slats or pipes forming the actual fence or wall would then be welded or bolted into the footer. A second level of footer may be added with side legs or wings just beneath the ground level. Then the entire footer is buried.

Another design involves massive metal bases seated into the ground by pile-drivers. Each such base attaches to one large vertical pipe or a section of vertical fence.

This design will allow flood waters to freely flow through the openings without obstruction. Strong winds would flow through easily. Irrigation channels or pipes can be installed through the fence to bring water from the river to farmers and ranchers.

Trump’s new sections would be probably be 30 to 40 feet, rather than the 12-foot-high sections constructed in 2007-2009. Bonk emphasizes that teams then were prohibited from building a high wall out of fear that trespassers would climb over and then fall. In the past, bureaucrats did not want a fence that would actually work.

Solar panels mounted on the ground on the north side of the access road along the fence would power motion sensors or movement differential radar mounted up on the top of the fence, triggering radio alerts back to Customs and Border Patrol; lights; video cameras; and loud-speaker-recorded warnings of potential injury if climbing the fence is attempted. If anyone tries to damage the fence, the video recordings would get him put in jail with felony convictions, not released into U.S. society. A win.

Recall that it is already the law of the land that a border wall shall be built along the “entire” United States’ southern border. In late 2006, Congress enacted and President George W. Bush signed into law the Secure Fence Act of 2006.

The wording of the act is not about a “fence,” but about any kind of barrier customized to the particular terrain in each location to the extent necessary to “the prevention of all unlawful entries into the United States, including entries by terrorists, other unlawful aliens, instruments of terrorism, narcotics, and other contraband.” That is “all” — as in “all.” So the Secure Fence Act of 2006 requires building “whatever it takes” — not a “fence” per se. And it requires operational control of the “entire” border of the United States.

The Secure Fence Act of 2006 was never fully implemented because Congress did not appropriate the funds to pay for a barrier along the entire border. Because the project is already a construction project “authorized” by Congress, the only remaining question is to supply the funding needed through appropriations by Congress or by Trump repurposing funds from other budgetary line items and applying those funds to finishing the border wall.

In 2007, Sen. Kay Bailey Hutchison (R-Texas) led passage of an amendment that did not actually change much. The amendment clarified that the secretary of homeland security has discretion to determine the type of wall or barrier appropriate for each location along the border. That means that if Trump’s DHS secretary determines that an extensive wall of vertical slats 100 feet high is necessary, the Secretary’s determination becomes the absolute law of the land.

117. DrBeauGan

A really important question has struck me.

Are chicken-sexers now to be called chicken-genderers?

118. John Constantine

2015

Montana increases its speed limit to 80 mph on the interstate for both day and night.
    image

The penalty for ten miles an hour over the eighty mile per hour limit used to be twenty bucks and no points off the licence.

In yarragrad we get twenty kilometer an hour go slow zones and traffic signs in mandarin.

Big Australia Makes You Frei.

Comrades.

119. Jessie

Mintabie, opal mining South Australia
    cf Zulu

Simply astonishing that SA government and APY particulars have effectively used the media to punish Mintabie entrepreneurs and workers, of ….. violation of aboriginal culture and their purported potential of cultural and economic potential in land gain …… in absence of discussion, photography or reports of govt funding receipt and outcomes of the APY communities.
    Cooper Pedy is next in the firing line should one wish to delve.

This x-state geographical area of elder-accepted narrative+ associated ill-gooders now extends further than Marc Hendrickx’ campaign against the Ban to Climb Ayers Rock ie linkage across SA/NT/WA. All areas of AVGAS tourism potential and then $ for the welfare state of rangers, royalties, walks with ‘locals’, independent health services and associated billions in medical evacuation/airstrips, training, education and infrastructure….. and in situ my country im be own me.

Bess Price handed NT National Parks over for joint management with the Indig locals. For the economic potential of locals…….
    “The names have been changed to reflect each park or reserve’s deep and long-standing Aboriginal cultural associations,” Northern Territory’s Parks and Wildlife Minister Bess Price said.

Honestly, Bess and her ‘economic’ advisors need to revisit the appalling De Soto hypothesis of the communal [property rights] held by ‘elders’ and thus now collectives of government/academic individuals who legally [laughingly] state they are transforming informal economies to formal economies. Under cultural lore.
    But perhaps that is not Bess’ aim.

Penny Wong flaps split between Labor and government on national security legislation

She was torn between two lovers?

You work with people, get along with them, spend a good part of your life with them and then you move on and lose touch. A long while later you find out they died.

That’s just happened to me. I found out a guy I worked with many years ago, who was a good work pal died about 5 years ago.

Life really is a funny thing.

122. Crossie

2dogs
    #2931153, posted on February 11, 2019 at 9:55 pm
    Looking like Italy will be next to leave the EU after Brexit:

Or before Brexit since they now have better politicians than the Brits.

Wasn’t it only five years ago we were making jokes about Italian politics? How the mighty Brits have fallen!

123. Memoryvault

You mean the Greens will do pretty-much the same thing as both Labor and the Liberals have done in the past, and will do again in the future?

Why, that’s appalling.
    And so unexpected.

124. Crossie

We may be laughing about Victoria for sale but Port of Darwin was sold off to the Chinese some time ago by ScoMo.

Dr B – What if the chickens want to be eagles?

126. Beer Whisperer won the arseless chaps on the QandA fred.

127. Memoryvault

Score, Carpe? Just for interest sake.

128. EvilElvis

A resistance without style is a resistance not worth fighting.

Beer Whisperer won the arseless chaps on the QandA fred.

Good, the chafing in my groin was becoming unbearable; he’s welcome to them. I’m keeping the sequins though.

130. John Constantine

Landbridge Australia, a subsidiary of Shandong Landbridge, won the 99-year lease with its bid of A$506 million in November 2015.

Shandong Landbridge has substantial and varied interests including port logistics and petrochemicals. Though privately owned, like many Chinese companies it has strong ties to the ruling Chinese Communist Party.

The company knows how to cultivate political connections. In Australia it gave influential Liberal Party figure and former trade minister Andrew Robb an $880,000 job just months after he retired from parliament.

But attention has been drawn to Darwin’s newly minted “friendship” deal with Yuexiu District, in Guangzhou, due to Chinese media describing it as part of President Xi Jinping’s signature Belt and Road Initiative.

This suggests Chinese authorities regard Darwin as having strategic significance.

It invites reflection on the wisdom, three years ago, of the Northern Territory government deciding to lease the Port of Darwin (now known as Darwin Port) to a Chinese company for 99 years – and of the federal government going along with it.

At the time the new owner, billionaire Ye Cheng, claimed the Darwin port deal was “our involvement in One Belt, One Road”.

It makes Darwin an interesting case study – a point of contest between the strategies of the US and China. Darwin’s port is under Chinese control, while thousands of US marines are based in the city, as part of the US “Pacific pivot” seen by many as an effort to contain China’s influence in the region.

Comrade Maaaaaaaaaates.

131. bespoke

Since your trapped in the open forum MV.

132. Elizabeth (Lizzie) Beare

Life really is a funny thing.

Happened to me too JC a couple of years ago. I hadn’t heard about it. He’d been dead for four years. Sudden heart attack in his 50’s. No warning. Historian, and a friend and supporter of mine in an otherwise difficult environment. A leftie of course, they all were. I burst into tears when I heard. I’d just got the job there when my first husband walked out; that’s pretty serious, he’d commented when he heard that. At the time, given the culture, he was the only one who thought that. The rest were all, meh, things happen, and being married was so unnecessary, they thought. All feminists too. Childcare was the answer to everything. I skived off work (academics can do that) quite a lot in order to care for my kids myself. Worked on papers and writing lectures at home at night when the kids were asleep, to make up.

133. Elizabeth (Lizzie) Beare

Are chicken-sexers now to be called chicken-genderers?

With baby chicks it really is hard to tell the difference. 🙂
    I’ve read that even the chicken-sexers can’t quite work out how they do it.
    They just do it, and get it right most of the time.
    Must be a feelz sort of thing.

134. Memoryvault

Evening Lizzie.
    How’s Hairy traveling?

135. Elizabeth (Lizzie) Beare

I’m told you can’t see the ocean much any more because of the tree overgrowth along the route.
    Another triumph of the Greens.

136. DrBeauGan

A resistance without style is a resistance not worth fighting.

That’s as may be. But I’m not dying on the barricades for the right to talk about the fit of some Sheila’s pant-suit.

Mini-skirt, maybe. I’ll think about it.

137. Elizabeth (Lizzie) Beare

Hairy is a lot more cheerful, MV. Must be something about the weekend. 😀

138. Steve trickler

Ladies and Gents. Enjoy the show. 😉

139. Memoryvault

That’s good to hear, Lizzie.
    I know it’s hackneyed advice, but a light heart and a positive attitude are as potent as any drug in the healing process. Keep him smiling.

140. EvilElvis

Mini-skirt, maybe. I’ll think about it.

My sword is sharp and ready to strike.

I’m sure we can compromise before the fighting gets underway. I’m happy to concede mini-skirts providing they are black or red and leather.

141. Elizabeth (Lizzie) Beare

So shoes are OK then? Bring your own Stiletto?

Wrote back to Bernard Cornwell tonight. Phew, that took courage.
    And principles. Lots of principles.

Wrote back to Bernard Cornwell tonight. Phew, that took courage.

Onya, LizzieB. Carted the odd few tonnes of wheat, with Bernard Cornwell’s trilogy of King Arthur on the sound system of the truck.

143. struth

Oh……Monday night.
    They all pop over to watch a talk fest of lefties.
    Just because you pay for it doesn’t mean you have to watch it.

144. Siltstone

Steve T, am impressed with your endless stream of good vids.

Memsahib’s giving up smoking. I am in my library, and I am NOT to be disturbed.

146. Memoryvault

Why on earth is she doing that, Zulu?
    Surely she hasn’t fallen for all the “health risk” crap?

Praise allotted:

Donald J. [email protected]

No president ever worked harder than me (cleaning up the mess I inherited)!

148. Zyconoclast

Steve trickler
    #2931269, posted on February 11, 2019 at 11:14 pm
    Ladies and Gents. Enjoy the show. 😉

I saw that. 0:29 doing a Bancroft with the emery paper.

149. Dave in Marybrook

The best Canadian chicken-sexers meditate for two hours before a three-hour shift, which is apparently when accuracy falls off a cliff, but the very best still only hit 93% accuracy.

150. Pedro the Ignorant

Late night men’s watch shopping.

I like this one: Ball GMT watch

151. mh

Donald J. Trump
    Donald J. Trump
    @realDonaldTrump
    4m
    The Democrats do not want us to detain, or send back, criminal aliens! This is a brand new demand. Crazy!

Why on earth is she doing that, Zulu?
    Surely she hasn’t fallen for all the “health risk” crap?

The lady had a wakeup call, when she realized that she was the same age as when her mother had died from a massive stroke, and medication had moved on, since then. Her mother survived the “Hunger Winter” in Holland, her father survived tea and bikies with the Gestapo, and a Nozi concentration camp. I would have liked to meet either of them

Late night men’s watch shopping.

This one’ s for Pedro. Regarding the Great Perth Mint Swindle – there was a certain copper who ran with the hares, and hunted with the hounds, and decided that trying to bash a confession, out of a former Special Air Service Regiment trooper, and Viet Nam veteran wasn’t such a good idea…

154. Steve trickler

Siltstone
    #2931281, posted on February 11, 2019 at 11:40 pm
    Steve T, am impressed with your endless stream of good vids.

Cheers. Check this out.

How would it look being a photon travelling from the Sun and scooting by Earth? How do you depict the speed of light, visually?

The music helps here. To fill the void.

155. Memoryvault

I can understand the concern because of her mother, Zulu, but medicine has moved on since then. I have had five major strokes in the last eight years and survived. Besides which, neither smoking, nor giving up smoking, will have much effect on the likelihood or otherwise, of her having a stroke.

If she is worried about a stroke, then she needs to contend with two main issues, which are interrelated nine times out of ten. Stress, and high blood pressure. Control them, and she can drastically reduce the odds in her favour.

I’m going to bed now, but we can discuss it further offline (email) later this week. I have re-established my email address (I think) and will send it to you in the next few days.

Now I’m off to bed.

156. Oh come on

Donald J. [email protected]

No president ever worked harder than me (cleaning up the mess I inherited)!

Truly The World’s Greatest Troll.

157. Shy Ted

Are chicken-sexers now to be called chicken-genderers? With baby chicks it really is hard to tell the difference. It’s blooming hard to tell with yer average ABC guest.

158. Dan Dare

LL, I see you copped a gobful from the Doomlord.
    Two in fact.

159. None

Johannes Leak. rolled gold brilliant cartoon in today’s upcoming paper.

160. Mitch M.

I think we have very much misunderstood the consciousness of many animals. There are now so many documented examples of animals clearly capable of abstraction and youtube is replete with examples of dogs demonstrating what so much looks like guilt. They know they’ve been a bad dog and there are even examples of two dogs with one indicating the other is guilty! Best of all is the examples of dogs having fun. The most extraordinary videos though are the ones of crows obviously antagonising cats so the cats start fighting.

161. Shy Ted

Not many comments about ScoMo at the Press Club. Listened to the second half on the wireless and he handled himself quite well in a barrage of lefty questions. But nothing for us ultra, mega hard right types to vote FOR. As Bolta points out he hasn’t dumped the poisoned policies of SuperMal and so it’s 53 to 47 for ALP in the polls. Too busy trying to sell himself to the ABC. I don’t know if people have stopped listening to him already or they never switched back on after SuperMal or he just doesn’t get he needs a base. With the revelations about Photios and ALP maybe he isn’t even trying.

162. bespoke

Mitch M.

Not much of a pet person but I do find my self watching those vids as therapy.

bespoke
    #2931346, posted on February 12, 2019 at 5:03 am

Not much of a pet person but I do find my self watching those vids as therapy.

Good idea, keep at it.

164. bespoke

Are you trying to tell me something Mark A? 🙂

165. bespoke

Lizzie wants to borrow something from you upthread.

How was the trip BTW?

Trip was OK. I sleep most of the time on the plain so nothing much bothers me. Usually leave the rubbery imitation of food offerings alone, but partake of a few drinks.

Leave mum’s stilettos out of discussions.
    There are enough females here you can borrow from, and for fishnets got A Downer, I hear tell he has a goodly supply.

PS, re. airline food. I told a lie, I rather enjoyed the beef stroganoff, must have been a good chef.

Drinks are for the asking as much as you want, and good quality too.

168. bespoke

So you still live with you mum?

bespoke
    #2931354, posted on February 12, 2019 at 5:50 am

So you still live with you mum?

Sure, doesn’t everyone?
    Hopefully moving out of the basement in the next couple of years, the winter rains are flooding me out quite often and it’s annoying to put everything on bricks to keep dry.

170. bespoke

That last time I went OS was with my youngest found a nice china man to babysit then went back to have a smoke. Long time ago didn’t eat the food though.

bespoke
    #2931359, posted on February 12, 2019 at 5:58 am

OK…. let me get this right, you went OS with your youngest, no problem, clear as bell.

You found a nice china man and babysat him, unusual but let it slide.

The bit, that confuses me is this;

went back to have a smoke.

Back where?
    Where was the china man sitting?
    And it must have been a rally, really long time ago as smoking is outlawed, been for decades.

Hope you enjoyed the trip though.

Loved the World’s Greatest Troll video.

Orange Patriot indeed! There must be a Marvel character waiting in the wings.

Don’t look at me for stilettos for your foot fetishes.

Strictly flats here.

174. bespoke

it must have been a rally, really long time ago as smoking

It was, Malaysian Airways.

My boy was nine months I think. He also spent most of the night at Kruger park dancing with nanny’s (they just love curly blond little boys) while I had a drink. I was the most responsible single dad on the planet.

175. bespoke

DrBeauGan is into foot fetishes, calli.

176. bespoke

Prager covers all basses. No one said this when I was growing up.

177. feelthebern

Is the Tony Mokbel stabbing VicPol’s way of cleaning house before Royal Commission into informant lawyers kicks off?
    Reminds me of the final scenes of Casino.

178. Elizabeth (Lizzie) Beare

Hungary to give lifetime tax exemption to women who have four children

I knew it! There had to be a win for women like me somewhere. 🙂

179. Notafan

That letter from the Pope and the sheik, wasn’t that a message to the Saudis etc to stop funding terrorism?

I didn’t see anything terrible in it.

180. Elizabeth (Lizzie) Beare

Problem. Applies only to working women, should apply to working families.
    Pushes women with four kids into the workforce and that is hard. I know.
    Also encourages polygamous and other sorts of baby farming; children for profit.

As ever, unintended consequences.

181. Baldrick

What do you do when your Twitter poll doesn’t work out the way you hoped?

Kon Karapangiotidis ✔ @Kon_K (Refugee activist)
    Who do you trust more to do the right, lawful and ethical thing when it comes to the fate of sick refugees on #Manus and #Nauru? #BackTheBill
    64% Peter Dutton
    36% Australian Doctors

Delete it, naturally. Thankfully the interwebs can be saved.

182. Elle

Thanks Tom. 🙂

Glad I’ll be in air con today. A hot day here in Sydney.

183. Old School Conservative

Shy Ted
    #2931333, posted on February 12, 2019 at 4:42 am
    Not many comments about ScoMo at the Press Club

That’s because the idiot Pahyne stole all the press oxygen with his breathless sucking up to Turnbull in the morning.
    For heavens sake – the Defence Minister blows up a Defence briefing at the National Press Club by his PM.
    That’s just as destabilising as anything Turnbull could have dreamed up.

Oh wait….

Warning…warning…warning…

Extreme weather

HEATWAVE !!!

185. Notafan

How does tax exemptions for Hungarian mother’s encourage polygamy and baby farming?

I raised four children as a single parent in full time employment

I didn’t notice it being overwhelmingly difficult.

I also knew lots of mums with husbands who worked part-time when their children start school. A couple had four children, I’m sure a life time tax exemption might have encouraged others to had another one or two.

Especially when you consider working life is to sixty five or even older.

Elizabeth (Lizzie) Beare
    #2931386, posted on February 12, 2019 at 7:44 am

Hungary to give lifetime tax exemption to women who have four children

I knew it! There had to be a win for women like me somewhere. 🙂

There is a lot more to it than that.
    Cheap housing loans for young couples + cheap car loans if more than 3 children new childcare centers etc…

They are really going out of their way to make parenthood affordable and reverse the trend of the last decades.
    The idea is to spend money and effort to boost the population locally instead of importing people of a different culture who are unlikely to assimilate but certainly never be Hungarians. Xenophobic? Maybe, but going by the example of what is happening in Europe and elsewhere it makes sense.

187. bespoke

Lizzie

Tax relief maybe but not payment. I think the constant that its a burden in the media is the biggest problem.

188. Old School Conservative

One for all the Boomer haters out there.
    Adam Creighton’s piece in The Oz slams the Boomer retirement bonanza introduced by Howard and Costello in the years 2000-2006. Lots of emotive digs at us too.
    Unfortunately for Adam, many of the comments are logical rebuttals of his argument.

Elizabeth (Lizzie) Beare
    #2931391, posted on February 12, 2019 at 7:57 am

Problem. Applies only to working women, should apply to working families.
    Pushes women with four kids into the workforce and that is hard. I know.

As ever, unintended consequences.

The way I read it it applies to couples, mostly anyway and you don’t find many official ‘polygamous ‘ relationships in Hungary. very few muslims.
    Also there a far less single parent families by choice than in other places.

190. Elle

I’m wearing ballet flats today, calli 🙂

191. Notafan

And I have to say my mind boggles at a tax system which exempted from income tax everybody that had four children, you wouldn’t have a tax base left.

Notafan
    #2931409, posted on February 12, 2019 at 8:26 am

How so?
    It only applies to the woman in the family and with four children, not many of them would be gainfully employed for a few years at least.

PS, and they changed the tax system to flat rate and collecting more than ever.
    Pauline has some good ideas after all.

194. bespoke

Politicians fear a flat tax because it reduces power.

195. Baldrick

Elle
    #2930923, posted on February 11, 2019 at 7:13 pm
    I confront bad ass crims during my working day and night …

Not quite sure how ballet flats fit in with this but I’m sure there’s a perfectly reasonable explanation.

196. max

For any normal person living in Victoria today the lead story is Tony Mokbel.

But for the ABC it’s refugees, refugees, refugees.

The amount of ABC time given to ‘refugees’ is a disgrace. Australia owes them nothing.

197. struth

Good Moaning.

I would like an honest opinion from you people.

I got up like most mornings, thinking I’ve too much to do today to be thinking about politics or commenting on the cat.
    I walk past Mrs Struth who I notice is eating smashed Avo on toast with Cayenne pepper.
    Never seen her do that before.
    Wanker, I thought.
    The Morning show she was watching, and it exclaimed the temperature was going to “Soar” today.
    “Sour right into the thirties”

God help us all.
    It’s Feb in Aus, and it’s going to “Soar” into the thirties.

It’s insanity before I have even had a cup of coffee, being broadcast straight into my living room.
    Language.
    The use of Language to scare those that vote yet are too young to quite get that summers were always hot.

Now for a cuppa………………………………….struth

198. struth

The question I ask is, how can we have a day politics free when the left are just constantly, insanely pushing it, always?

199. feelthebern

FMD.
    Coffee shop today.
    Another bird with a reusable cup – fine, it’s a free country.
    But like bird from a couple of weeks ago, asks for the barista to wash the cup out with boiling water.
    WTF?
    Way to delay a line of coffee addicts getting their morning fix.
    Sydney needs a cleanse.
    #sydneycleansenow

200. Elle

You’re very observant, Baldrick. You missed my comment saying I’m glad I’m in air con today. Paperwork doesn’t require boots. 🙂

201. md

Socialist Britain:

‘Free speech’ campaigner MOCKS criminal record for ‘hurting peoples feelings’
    A SCOTTISH YouTuber has mocked his conviction claiming he now has a criminal record for “hurting people’s feelings”.
    Markus Meechan, who was charged last year, after posting a video of a dog raising its paw like a Nazi salute, mocked being convicted for “hurting people’s feelings”. Speaking to Julia Hartley-Brewer on talkRADIO, Mr Meechan explained how he was waiting for the “cops to come and get me”. He said: “A criminal record and an £800 fine which I have refused to pay.

202. Mother Lode

An idea:

Our politicians, such as they are, are thoroughly impotent when dealing with the press and consequently the public. The lack the skill to express anything important in a pithy manner and are easily ambushed by progressive journalists and end up committing to nonsense.

We need to distill important ideas into concise and discrete forms that can be easily deployed to judiciously navigate progressive journalists traps and to eviscerate nonsense.

Cut through the waffle.

There is a mass of muddle out there that can and should be wiped away each time it comes up. Actually, journos such as Bolta would do will to keep them handy.

Examples:

1) Businesses don’t just get money from customers. They exchange their product at a price such that the customer is prefers the product to the cash – the customer is coming out ahead. The fact we would like everything cheaper does not mean you are being ripped off.

2) Business doesn’t just take your money. Only government does that.

3) Reporters need you more than you need them: Trump showed this. So there is no need to dance to their tune.

4) If a reporter just starts bombarding you with figures and statistics you don’t have to just accept them. You can ask where they came from. Remember how Margaret Thatcher stopped an aggressive George Negus in his tracks with a simple “Who?”

5) Don’t leap to a commitment just because a journo tells you that you must make one – you can do another interview somewhere else later. Make informed decisions, not quick ones.

6) Polls and surveys are not necessarily what they claim to be. An ABC Online survey is a poll of ABC viewers who choose to do polls – a very specific demographic and not representative.

Simple. To the point. No rhetoric. No assumptions.

Resident makes citizen’s arrest as two teen girls held after stolen car crash
    Derrick Krusche, The Daily Telegraph
    February 12, 2019 6:34am

A resident was forced to make a citizen’s arrest after two teenage girls crashed a stolen car into a house during a joyride in Sydney’s west overnight.

Police were called to Harris Street in Guildford following reports the silver Hyundai Excel had lost control and smashed through the fence of the home about 10.50pm.

It is alleged the two girls, both 15, tried to run away from the scene but were stopped and held down by a nearby resident on Lucas Street before police arrived.

Police said the Hyundai had been allegedly stolen in late January from a house in Smithfield.

The two girls suffered cuts and abrasions during the crash and were both taken to The Children’s Hospital at Westmead.

And the girls’ parents?

204. hzhousewife

Coffee shop today.
    Another bird with a reusable cup – fine, it’s a free country.
    WTF?

What did the coffee shop charge for this service?

205. Elle

Yes, Struth. Summer is now called a heatwave. Alarmists.

Avocado is very good for you.

206. struth

WTF?

The should put some instant Nescafe Gold and sugar on a table so you can help yourself with a little fridge for the milk underneath.
    Bring your own cup and fill up yourself, the cost coming out of your other purchases.
    This Barista coffee wank is only happening because you aren’t allowed to do anything else in Australia, so food and coffee have been elevated to wank status to overcharge drop kicks willing to pay shit loads for nothing.
    And wait a substantially longer time for the privilege.

Get some Nescafe gold interya before you leave home, feel the burn, ya bloody great townie.

Tony Mokbel fights for life after being stabbed in Barwon Prison attack
    Mark Buttler, David Hurley and Shannon Deery, Herald Sun
    an hour ago

Drug lord Tony Mokbel is fighting for survival after a brutal prison ambush.

The 53-year-old crime kingpin was in intensive care at the Royal Melbourne Hospital after being stabbed inside maximum-security Barwon Prison, near Geelong.

At 6.15am, Mokbel remains in a critical condition.

Mokbel and a 31-year-old man were set upon by two other inmates in a mainstream unit at 3.45pm.

The Herald Sun understands the other man had rushed to Mokbel’s aid. The incident unfolded just 15 minutes before the jail was to go into lockdown for the day, with prisoners heading back to their cells.

There was speculation the ­attack could be connected to revelations Mokbel intervened in a standover racket operating at the prison, near Geelong. The Sunday Herald Sun reported that Mokbel — who is eyeing freedom as part of the Lawyer X scandal — disrupted an extortion scheme run by a group of Pacific Island inmates.

Some criminals are believed to have become irritated at ­Mokbel talking of his plans to get out of jail.

“He’s been a pest,” a source said on Monday night.

208. struth

Paperwork doesn’t require boots. 🙂

Because it was you who wrote that, Elle, I first read it as Paperwork doesn’t require boobs.

Another cup of double café laaarrte Nescafe Gold me thinks.
    I’ll put a little love heart on the top, some chocolate sprinkles on it, and scare Mrs Struth, who’ll think I must have bought one therefore needing to mortgage the house.

209. feelthebern

Jam it struth.
    I don’t many vices, so I will get my overpriced coffee whenever I feel like & complain about things between me & said overpriced coffee !

210. Elle

You’re a hoot, Struth. Love your sense of humour.

211. feelthebern

As I posted this morning, Mokbel is pure VicPol house keeping/cleaning.
    I reckon anyone in that first Underbelly series will be brown bread soon.
    Dead men tell no tales.

212. Baldrick

Paperwork doesn’t require boots. 🙂

But you ‘confront bad ass crims during my working day and night’.
    So only when you’re not doing paperwork in ballet flats.

213. min

I have heard that majority of doctors do not belong to AMA. , figures quoted were under 1/3 . The results of poll about who do you trustDutton or Doctors on refugees had higher percentage for doctors than in AMA.

214. struth

Jam it struth.

I take it from this reaction you still haven’t been served?

I Understand.
    Breath in, breath out.

I’m on my second delicious Nescafe Gold resplendent with milk and sugar, just one.

215. Elle

You have a talent, Baldrick. It’s impressive. Have always marvelled at your ability to go back months even more than a year to remember and find posts and paste them front and centre.

I could give you a break down of my daily duties and what I am required to wear on certain days, but am sure it would bore you to death.

216. feelthebern

Nescafe Gold.
    An oxymoron.

Grammy 2019 Record Of The Year

This Is America
    Donald Glover
    Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah
    Yeah, yeah, yeah, go, go away
    We just wanna party
    Party just for you
    We just want the money
    Money just for you
    I know you wanna party
    Party just for me
    Girl, you got me dancin’ (yeah, girl, you got me dancin’)
    Dance and shake the frame
    We just wanna party (yeah)
    Party just for you (yeah)
    We just want the money (yeah)
    Money just for you (you)
    I know you wanna party (yeah)
    Party just for me (yeah)
    Girl, you got me dancin’ (yeah, girl, you got me dancin’)
    Dance and shake the frame (you)
    This is America
    Don’t catch you slippin’ up
    Look what…

Contrast:

Grammy 1959 Record of the Year
    “Nel Blu Dipinto di Blu (Volare)” – Domenico Modugno

Volare, oh oh
    Cantare, oh oh oh oh
    Let’s fly way up to the clouds
    Away from the maddening crowds
    We can sing in the glow of a star that I know of
    Where lovers enjoy peace of mind
    Let us leave the confusion and all disillusion behind
    Just like bird of a feather, a rainbow together we’ll find

218. max

The Herald Sun understands ….

There was speculation ….

The Sunday Herald Sun reported that …….

Some criminals are believed …….

a source said on Monday night.

That’s cleared that up, then.

219. Baldrick

A government pencil pusher. Well I’m glad we cleared that up.

220. Mother Lode

max,

I never take that stuff seriously until I hear what ‘sources close to the minister’ have weighed in.

The deliberations of the typing pool being of paramount importance to me.