Wednesday Forum: March 6, 2019

1,924 Responses to Wednesday Forum: March 6, 2019

1 6 7 8
  1. Arky

Try again you lazy sod.

Numbers would be proud.
    You can keep two conflicting ideas in your head at the same time.

Some trivia, re. Int. W D.

Did you know that universal suffrage in Belgium began in 1958, in der Schweiz in 1971, in Portugal 1978 and in Liechtenstein only in 1984.

My point is, it happened relatively late, in living memory so to say.
    Would be interesting to find out if national politics and policies have changed since then, and how?

Would it have been better to keep them in the kitchen a la Struth?

3. Arky

Arky – just send an email to Sinc and ask him to forward it to Dr BG.

I did.
    I’m not doing it again. The man frightens me.
    It is the most I can do to occasionally beg him to post a guest column.

4. mh

Dr BG

There are grounds for disapproving of circumcision that don’t involve anti-Semitism. The defence that jooz have been doing it for three thousand years doesn’t strike me as much of an argument. They’ve been rejecting bacon for that time too.

Like 😄

5. Gab

So the Hunchback’s Stalinist pervert thuggocracy is to descend on a nursing home

I doubt very much that they will. The optics of doing that at a nursing home is not going to be in their favour. I think it’s all hot air.

Arky
    #2953757, posted on March 8, 2019 at 10:35 pm

Arky, I got in contact with a few individuals on this blog via Sinclair and it took less than a few hours.
    Something must have gone wrong there if you are still waiting.

7. Arky

Yes, but those were people you wanted to get in touch with.

8. Leo G

If you really want to convince me, find something in the Bible hinting that the Earth rotates on its axis rather than having the sun go around it. Then square that with Joshua.

Or find something in the study of celestial omens, in the context of psychological tactics at the brink of a battle either at the time of Joshua or at the time of writing of the Book of Joshua, which explains Joshua 10:12-15 (NIV):

On the day the Lord gave the Amorites over to Israel, Joshua said to the Lord in the presence of Israel:
    “Sun, stand still over Gibeon, and you, moon, over the Valley of Aijalon.” So the sun stood still, and the moon stopped, till the nation avenged itself on its enemies, as it is written in the Book of Jashar. The sun stopped in the middle of the sky and delayed going down about a full day. There has never been a day like it before or since, a day when the Lord listened to a human being. Surely the Lord was fighting for Israel!

9. dover_beach

If God is omnipotent, could He make a stone so heavy He couldn’t lift it? The idea is incoherent.

This is terribly childish

That argument is terribly childish. Omnipotence simply requires that God can do whatever is possible.

10. Percy Popinjay

Peoples!

One needs some assistance here, please. I’d like to arrange some true debates in my workplace between Conservatives and (boo, hiss) Collectivists.

Possible topics:

Capitalism is the only true engine of human advancement
    Socialism guarantees that everyone gets to come along for the ride, even if they cannot

Suggestions, my friends?

11. Oh come on

Roald Dahl
    Dr Seuss

Happily dead, but the totalitarian ideas they so loved are still being spread to our children via their books.

12. DrBeauGan

Oh alright, Arky. I’ve emailed Sinc. I’m not afraid of him, we both have academic experience, although mine was in a respectable subject and he’s an economist.

13. Oh come on

Shorter Dr Beau: why doesn’t God do what I would do? What an idiot!

14. Arky

I’m not afraid of him

You should be.
    It is said he can lift any stone he can make.

15. Arky

Just don’t start stalking me.
    I don’t swing that way.
    You atheist deviant.

And an omnipotent omniscient God would be able to think of better ways of winning battles. I can.

DrB – as I said:

You have always to consider why it was done, what the purpose was and what the effects were – in the context of the spiritual narrative of the Bible.

There. It’s so far past my bedtime I’m quoting myself. However lightning bolts do not fit with what I describe. God giving Joshua’s bunch the strength of arm to win does, since he was favouring his chosen people AND requiring them to have faith in him in return. And the time to do it – in whichever frame of reference, psychologically, internally or externally.

You aren’t considering the spiritual consistency of the Biblical narrative – especially between the OT and the NT. It would also help to view it from a reformed Protestant outlook (see TULIP and the concept of righteousness by faith alone, which was Martin Luther’s eureka moment).

The ‘by faith alone’ bit is especially pertinent since that implies a lack of hard proof. Always the Bible stops short of hard proof. That is because we are asked to believe and have faith in God, that is his exam criterion.

17. DrBeauGan

Arky
    #2953772, posted on March 8, 2019 at 10:50 pm
    Just don’t start stalking me.
    I don’t swing that way.
    You atheist deviant.

You’re safe from me, Arky. You would be even if I were a poof, I expect. Even poofs must have some standards.

Dr BG everything can be explained.
    Mind you, in this case I’m rather ambivalent about the point in question, since being omnipotent one can set limits to one’s own powers too.
    So it goes, never a contradiction.

Women bishops condemn pipe organ as instrument of toxic masculinity

Stupid bloody lezzos. Sometime ago, a cat posted a video of a perfectly formed young lady giving a Bach Toccata and Fugue a damn good run for its money.

It’s nice to see a young lady giving a big organ a good fuguing.

20. Arky

It is said he can lift any stone he can make.

Or he can make stones that not even he can lift.
    I forget. whichever makes him the more dangerous.

21. Stimpson J. Cat

Omnipotence simply requires that God can do whatever is possible.

So why wasn’t Adam circumcised?
    God could have created him that way.
    Dover, BON?

Joshua 10:12-15

Leo – That is what DrB and I have been debating all evening.

23. DrBeauGan

BoN, if God wants me to have faith in him, he gave me the wrong sort of brain. I infer that He doesn’t.

It would be blasphemous to go against his obvious wishes on the matter.

DrBeauGan
    #2953769, posted on March 8, 2019 at 10:47 pm

That’s what you should’ve done in the first place you dill, if I may call you that in this instance.
    Arky can request as long as he lives and no contact with you.

25. Fat Tony

Arky
    #2953771, posted on March 8, 2019 at 10:49 pm
    I’m not afraid of him

You should be.
    It is said he can lift any stone he can make.

I could lift the biggest stone that I made – it was a 9mm kidney stone.
    Does that make me omnipotent?

26. mh

Oh come on
    #2953768, posted on March 8, 2019 at 10:46 pm
    Roald Dahl
    Dr Seuss

Dahl was an anti Semite, that we do know. He said so himself.

27. BoN;
    I just checked the intarwebs but was unable to find out a basic explanation of “Critical Point of Water” or “Triple Point.”
    I realise I am ignorant, but it would help if the explanation was below 100 words.

28. Fat Tony

DrBeauGan
    #2953775, posted on March 8, 2019 at 10:53 pm

Mmmm….check out the Mardi Gras thingy regarding “standards”.

It’s nice to see a young lady giving a big organ a good fuguing.

My compliments, egg, and thank you. Good to see an organ so thoroughly fuguid.

30. Fat Tony

Stimpson J. Cat
    #2953780, posted on March 8, 2019 at 10:56 pm
    Omnipotence simply requires that God can do whatever is possible.

So why wasn’t Adam circumcised?
    God could have created him that way.
    Dover, BON?

Anti-Semite……burn in Hell

31. bespoke

Stimpson J. Cat
    #2953742, posted on March 8, 2019 at 10:20 pm
    Everyone on this website lacks the self awareness and insight to deal with serious mental illness as maturely as I do

One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest was fiction.

32. Oh come on

BoN, if God wants me to have faith in him, he gave me the wrong sort of brain

Maybe it’s less complicated than you think and you’re just a bit set in your ways?

So why wasn’t Adam circumcised?

Stimpy – If you read the Bible you’d have the answer straight away.

Genesis 17

9 And God said to Abraham, “As for you, you shall keep my covenant, you and your offspring after you throughout their generations. 10 This is my covenant, which you shall keep, between me and you and your offspring after you: Every male among you shall be circumcised.

Circumcision was the sign of the covenant between Abraham and God, not between Adam and God. So Adam wasn’t circumcised as far as we know. If you have his foreskin in a bottle I’m sure you could get a good price though.

34. Arky

Does that make me omnipotent?

35. Confused Old Misfit

Genesis 1:27

So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them.”

King James Version (KJV)

Therein lie ALL the inconsistencies.

36. dover_beach

So why wasn’t Adam circumcised?

37. Elle

Dahl was an anti-Semite, that we do know. He said so himself.

Roald Dahl was an anti-Semite?
    Enid Blyton was a racist?

My childhood totally destroyed.

38. Elle

I naively devoured their books.
    I have no regrets.

39. dover_beach

Therein lie ALL the inconsistencies.

You’ve raised this before. What exactly is the inconsistency?

40. Leo G

Leo – That is what DrB and I have been debating all evening.

Yes. But you are both reading the Book of Joshua as a modern text, rather than as an ancient one. The author would have been referring to celestial observations as signs in the context of the prevailing method of divination and not implying cosmological intervention by God.

41. Fat Tony

Arky – i watched your video the other day of you unwrapping your Model A engine parts.
    When I saw that valve, I thought WTF – how’s that going to work?? I didn’t know the valve guides were 2 piece. Interesting how engines have evolved over the years.

42. Stimpson J. Cat

Anyway, do we know he wasn’t or is Genesis merely silent about the matter?

Oh if it’s not in the Book it must be true.

43. mh

He was a raging anti Semite, Elle.

The movie Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, written by Dahl, is anti Semitic too.

The child catcher character was pretty sick.

Elle
    #2953797, posted on March 8, 2019 at 11:11 pm

I naively devoured their books.
    I have no regrets.

I like Wagner’s music, detest what inspired him, if it’s indeed true. (Debate still goes on but times and believes change )

45. Confused Old Misfit

If man is an image of God in all respects it follows that God is not perfect.
    If you contend that “image” refers only to the physical appearance then the argument does not hold.
    However, if you cannot understand why God did not create a perfect world then this might be a reason.
    HE could not as HE was not perfect.

46. Arky

When I saw that valve, I thought WTF – how’s that going to work??

Imagine taking it apart for the first time. WTF hardly covers the panic I was in.

47. Arky

WTF hardly covers the panic I was in.

Add the fact that I was in the middle of making a series of videos pretending I knew WTF I was doing.

48. Confused Old Misfit

“So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him;

This claim may, of course, be naught but human hubris.

49. DrBeauGan

Roald Dahl had a very nasty mind. It shows all through his writing. His anti-Semitism was only a part of it.

50. Fat Tony

Arky
    #2953806, posted on March 8, 2019 at 11:21 pm
    WTF hardly covers the panic I was in.

Wow!! You’ve hit on the secret of being an engineer!!!

51. dover_beach

If man is an image of God in all respects it follows that God is not perfect.

Image just means semblance or likeness in some respect, not in all respects. The passage does not mean nor has it been read to mean that we are identical to God which follow if we were like in all respects.

52. Fat Tony

Confused Old Misfit
    #2953807, posted on March 8, 2019 at 11:21 pm
    “So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him;

This claim may, of course, be naught but human hubris.

I sometimes think that Man “created” God in his (Man’s) image.

53. MatrixTransform

Wow!! You’ve hit on the secret of being an engineer

Part 2. How to make yr fuckups the responsibility of Somebody else

54. amortiser

stackja
    #2953533, posted on March 8, 2019 at 6:58 pm
    I believe Genesis is not a fully scientific account of creation, it just states God created the universe, animals, man. How science is still debating. Science says there was a big bang. I believe God started the process. It seems others disagree. Doesn’t alter the fact something was started by something.

Who started God?

55. Cassie of Sydney

“dover_beach
    #2953795, posted on March 8, 2019 at 11:08 pm
    So why wasn’t Adam circumcised?

Because it is covenantal. Anyway, do we know he wasn’t or is Genesis merely silent about the matter?”

Adam wasn’t circumcised, Noah wasn’t circumcised. They weren’t J**ish.

The first J** was Abraham. He was the first J** to be circumcised ….because that is the deal Abraham made with God. A J**ish man who is not circumcised is cut off from the J**ish people and incurs the wrath of God. Moses got into big trouble with God because he refused tot circumcise his son so Zipporah, his wife, circumcised their son using a stone.

56. Fat Tony

MatrixTransform
    #2953812, posted on March 8, 2019 at 11:26 pm
    Wow!! You’ve hit on the secret of being an engineer

Part 2. How to make yr fuckups the responsibility of Somebody else

Wow MT – you’re an engineer too. 🙂

57. mh

Fvcking hell!

58. dover_beach

Adam wasn’t circumcised, Noah wasn’t circumcised. They weren’t J**ish.

Sure, but circumcision was not limited to Abraham and his descendants.

59. Fat Tony

Zipporah, his wife, circumcised their son using a stone.

Hope it was a sharp stone….. ;(

BoN;

Winston – Here is the phase diagram of water.

The triple point is titled “Solid/Liquid/Vapour triple point”.
    The critical point is called that – see RHS.

This diagram shows what is above and to the right of the critical point.

The Triple Point is just the point where ice, water and water vapour all can exist together in equilibrium. At zero C and 1 atm of pressure.

The Critical Point is where liquid and gas sort of become the same thing. You have heard of supercritical water, which is what HELE coal plants use. It’s steam but with characteristics like a liquid.

You can use CO2 in a supercritical state to dissolve stuff – it is used for dry cleaning to dissolve grease for example. In the supercritical state it isn’t a liquid – yet it can dissolve solutes, like sugar dissolving in a cup of tea. The advantage is if you then reduce the pressure the CO2 returns to a gaseous state and whatever you dissolved is conveniently left behind like a shag on a rock.

In context of the early Earth the atmosphere would have had all our current oceans plus whatever water that has been lost to space since – all in the form of steam. Or supercritical steam if beyond the critical point. There’d be no liquid at all. Then when the Earth cooled below 373 C the supercritical steam would then split into a liquid ocean and water vapour in the atmosphere.

61. DrBeauGan

BoN, if God wants me to have faith in him, he gave me the wrong sort of brain

I’m made to change my mind under the acquisition of new facts. Social approval or disapproval doesn’t cut it. Especially if it’s Arky doing the disapproval.

62. MatrixTransform

circumcised their son using a stone.

It’s still International Womenzs Day you know.

63. Old School Conservative

man who is not circumcised is cut off from the J**ish people

A touch of humour in a terse debate.
    Good one.

64. None

I don’t care if you think I am crazy even though I have mental illnesses.

I have never once called you crazy Stimpy and I never will because I believe you are in full command of your faculties and therefore fully responsible what are your actions and words. Apology noted and accepted.

Fat Tony
    #2953811, posted on March 8, 2019 at 11:25 pm

I sometimes think that Man “created” God in his (Man’s) image.

Shucks Tony, don’t be like that.

66. Arky

I think tomorrow I will make a video on the differences between the A engine and your modern stuff.
    The babbitt bearings, side valves, flat head, oiling system.

So what? It’s written in the Quran, how many stones you can use to wipe your clacker – not two, not four, but three being the number of stones that may be used. Soft, decadent, Western Kufar invented toilet paper..

68. MatrixTransform

you’re an engineer too

It’s complex. 🙂

Part 3. – becoming a consultant (so you dont have to worry about parts 1 or 2)

69. Confused Old Misfit

I sometimes think that Man “created” God in his (Man’s) image.

I think you’re right.

I did say “If”.

70. John Constantine

The Noah and the flood bit gets a bit hard, where only a few humans in a boat had kept the breeding line pure from contamination with others. All the crossbreds got wiped out.

If Adam and Eve lived the best part of a thousand years without menopause and kept pumping kids out, that is a lot of failed bloodlines.

[ so what were the failures crossbreeding with, or do we just accept that the flood part is intrinsic to human attempts to make order]

DrBeauGan
    #2953808, posted on March 8, 2019 at 11:23 pm

Dude I worked with married his daughter. Lasted about 3 months. He described it as a fucking nightmare.

72. Oh come on

I’m made to change my mind under the acquisition of new facts

Preach it, atheist! Honestly, Dr B. It’s a conceit if you think this is significantly more applicable to yourself relative to anyone else here.

73. sdfc

As if God cares if you’re circumcised.

74. None

The first J** was Abraham

75. Oh come on

Roald Dahl was a misanthrope. It didn’t surprise me at all when I heard he was a crappy father.

76. Fat Tony

Arky
    #2953826, posted on March 8, 2019 at 11:31 pm
    The babbitt bearings, side valves, flat head, oiling system.

Do you actually pour the babbitt bearings in-situ?

77. Cassie of Sydney

“None
    #2953835, posted on March 8, 2019 at 11:40 pm
    The first J** was Abraham

I’m guessing here but is that why J_wish theology affirms Noahic Covenant which covers all people while the Abrahamic covenant covers only the J-ws?”

Yes. Non-J**s are expected to follow the following seven Noahide laws….

Not to worship idols.
    Not to curse God.
    To establish courts of justice.
    Not to commit murder.
    Not to commit adultery or sexual immorality.
    Not to steal.
    Not to eat flesh torn from a living animal.

78. Fat Tony

MatrixTransform
    #2953828, posted on March 8, 2019 at 11:32 pm
    you’re an engineer too

It’s complex. 🙂

Part 3. – becoming a consultant (so you dont have to worry about parts 1 or 2)

Or Part 4: what I am doing now – retiring so you can fuck off the above 3

79. Arky

Beaugan has this idea fixed in his head that the Christians here are the caricature believers as painted by Dawkins. Believers in some fairy- tale dude living in a cloud.
    He gives them no credit for being able to weigh the arguments the same as he has, and simply come down on the opposite side.

80. Stimpson J. Cat

Who started God?

Arguing about the existence of God is very different from arguing about the validity and historical truthfuness of a Book written by humans for humans.

81. mh

Some traditions are great and I’m all for keeping them even though they are nonsense. Like Santa.

But should people in the 21st century really be taking notice of someone 3000 years ago claiming
    God told him to hack at his own cock then do the same to his sons?

82. Arky

Do you actually pour the babbitt bearings in-situ?

You can.
    Can be done by an experienced person with the correct moulds.
    My bearings are in good nick.

83. None

Thanks Cassia. You’d think that we got the easier side of the bargain but when you look around it doesn’t look like it.

84. Arky

Pour bearing metal into mould, then line bore.
    Expensive.
    Also need jig for correct line boring.

mh
    #2953802, posted on March 8, 2019 at 11:16 pm

He was a raging anti Semite, Elle.

British dislike of J* ws was very different. It was never even close to the murderous hatred you saw on the continent. It was more of a snooty version that you see with American WASPS

An English J*wish friend explained it. One time has mentioned he went /was a member of some club and was asked how he had got in. The person asking was genuinely intrigued because the club didn’t except J*ws.

I think Dahl was also a WW2 ace.

86. sdfc

Dawkins is a believer in the shit happens theory of evolution. .

87. Fat Tony

Arky
    #2953847, posted on March 8, 2019 at 11:48 pm
    Pour bearing metal into mould, then line bore.
    Expensive.
    Also need jig for correct line boring.

So your original bearings are ok, or when looking at the above procedure, they’ll do the job.

mh
    #2953802, posted on March 8, 2019 at 11:16 pm

He was a raging anti Semite, Elle.

British dislike of J**ws was very different. It was never even close to the murderous hatred you saw on the continent. It was more of a snooty version that you see with American WASPS

An English J***wish friend explained it. One time has mentioned he went /was a member of some club and was asked how he had got in. The person asking was genuinely intrigued because the club didn’t except J***ws.

I think Dahl was also a WW2 ace.

89. None

Regardless of how you interpret the Genesis story at some point in history or at some point in the evolutionary process there was a first human.

90. Arky

Here is some old guy pouring Model T Ford Babbitt bearings:

91. DrBeauGan

I’m very antisocial. Most people are strongly influenced by the company they keep. That’s how political correctness gets accepted. Plenty of people here have linguistic taboos, for example. I don’t.

92. MatrixTransform

Hey Fat Tony,
    I exist in the Mr Fixit category of engineerishness with an electrical, electronical and programming bent.

Before doing engineering I was a sparky and our company are still electrical contractors.
    I’m the sorry bastard that makes stuff go … like consultants pretend it should

You could find me on a building site pulling wires, or I might be trying to reverse engineer japanese potted thermistors to work out their beta values (so we dont have to pay $50 each for them)

93. Arky

If they were inserts I would chuck ’em out as a matter of course, no matter what.

94. dover_beach

I did say “If”.

Why ‘if’? The word ‘image’ doesn’t denote resemble in all aspects. Never has.

95. Fat Tony

None
    #2953852, posted on March 8, 2019 at 11:53 pm

Has to be more than one “first human”.
    It was probably a visiting spaceship which dumped all their psychiatric patients here to fend for themselves. It would explain a lot.

96. None

All jokes aside Fat Tony I was gobsmacked to find out that there are scientists who do actually believe or else seriously put forward the theory that we were seeded by aliens.

97. sdfc

NAB have had the quickest backfip in cash rate call in history.

98. MatrixTransform

Or Part 4

Fat Tony: Call that doctor that owes us a favor.
    Louise: Actually we owe him a favor
    Fat Tony: Do him two favors and then remind him that he owes us a favor.

Fat Tony
    #2953859, posted on March 8, 2019 at 11:57 pm

I think it were the phone sanitizers that done it for us.

100. MatrixTransform

All jokes aside

I know a guy who has a PhD Electronical … Scientologist
    He’s waiting for the spaceship.
    Kid you not

101. None

Circumcision is tied up with Covenant. That should not be a new concept for Christians who talk of circumcision of the heart. For the heathen on this blog Covenant goes to relationship and obligations within that relationship. You can sum up the covenant between God and people as: you will be my people, I will be your God.

102. mh

I think Dahl was also a WW2 ace.

So he would have knocked off a few boxheads. His reputation is looking brighter again.

103. Fat Tony

MatrixTransform
    #2953855, posted on March 8, 2019 at 11:55 pm

I started out in carpentry / construction, then got the shits with that & went to Uni & did Mechanical Engineering (RPEQ, NER).
    And I know fuckall about electricity – apart from it being made of smoke

104. DrBeauGan

No thanks.

None
    #2953860, posted on March 8, 2019 at 11:59 pm

Why not?
    If you are not religious, than it’s as good an explanation as any.
    Throw in an undeveloped humanoid native species and it all makes sense.

106. MatrixTransform

#2953868, posted on March 9, 2019 at 12:04 am

I find your explanation somewhat lacking.
    Cassie’s got the rock, notafan’s got a scalpel, youre giving them the greenlight.

…but its my dick … and what does that have to do with you god?

and technically (sans foreskin) god and I are square

107. DrBeauGan

I know a guy who has a PhD Electronical … Scientologist
    He’s waiting for the spaceship.
    Kid you not

The PhD isn’t restricted to the sane. Stimpy could get one if he tried. Possibly in interpretive dance.

108. None

Mark in order for a theory to be plausibleit needs some sort of sensible a priori assumptions and credible mechanisms or some correlative evidence or something. The seeded by aliens theory is fantastical.

109. Stimpson J. Cat

Yes well we aren’t talking about hearts are we?
    It is very easy to talk about losing something you don’t possess and never will.
    You literally have no skin in the game.

Stimpson J. Cat
    #2953879, posted on March 9, 2019 at 12:11 am

You literally have no skin in the game.

😁

111. Fat Tony

Arky – after watching that video on babbitt bearings, they’d want to be pretty bad before you replaced them.

What sort of revs do these motors operate at? Are the pistons heavy & the rods long? Power output?

112. Stimpson J. Cat

The PhD isn’t restricted to the sane.

What are you talking about?
    Of course they are.
    Universities are full to the brim with Sane people teaching Sane subjects creating a Sane world.
    Why would I waste my time in a place like that?
    Plus I don’t like Commies.

113. mh

You literally have no skin in the game.

I hope Moses said that to his wife. I bet she didn’t even find a sharp stone.

114. MatrixTransform

At the risk of also being call an anti-smite, that was well put Mr Stimpson
    (yes, that was a ref to the OT)

Why would I waste my time in a place like that?
    Plus I don’t like Commies.

That’s very antisemitic.

116. DrBeauGan

The seeded by aliens theory is fantastical.

So is the Adam and Eve stuff. And the Noah stuff. It’s just that you’re used to it and can’t see how dotty it is.

117. Stimpson J. Cat

The seeded by aliens theory is fantastical.

All it takes is one spore of alien bacteria on a comet or an asteroid.

118. MatrixTransform

I told myself that under no circumstance was I gonna enter a religious debate.
    But the whiskey told me to ask about None’s a priori basis for things biblical

I get the faith bit.
    I get the intrinsic value of long time standing.
    I get the ‘tings’ written that require various readings
    I dont get the a priori bit
    (yes that was a nod to both Fat Tony and Taleb’s Fat Tony)

119. None

Anyway, do we know he wasn’t or is Genesis merely silent about the matter?

The Book of Genesis is one of those multi-authored edited books which was common in the ancient near East whose text eventually solidified. In its final form at least it has a very discernible storyline and Adam definitely was not circumcised. The highlight of the book is the covenant with Abraham and the rest of the narrative – basically really from Genesis until the end of Kings- is about god fulfilling his covenant obligations (land, descendants, light of nations etc). Whether you are a Believer or not, however, the Book of Genesis is a literary masterpiece. I doubt any book in world history will ever surpass it.

120. Fat Tony

Stimpson J. Cat
    #2953892, posted on March 9, 2019 at 12:18 am
    The seeded by aliens theory is fantastical.

All it takes is one spore of alien bacteria on a comet or an asteroid.
    A lot of the water on this planet came from outer space – no doubt various ALFs were in that water.
    Others would have just floated down with the ET dust.

121. DrBeauGan

You can’t have been near one for quite a while, Stimpy.

Buy you’re right about the commies, which doesn’t do much for your argument.

122. Stimpson J. Cat

Buy you’re right about the commies, which doesn’t do much for your argument.

Of course it does.
    These are your universities full of your Sane people who you have all taught.
    Not mine.
    I love how you Sane people all seem to shirk responsibility for their continued existence and creation across all occupations and institutions over the past fifty years.
    My people don’t get to have a say.
    We are crazy.
    We have no influence.
    You got us in this mess.
    Now it’s all our fault.
    I think not.

123. None

Beaugan to say that God created heaven and earth is a theological statement. It is to recognise the ultimate source of all being and the relationship of creature to creator and by creature I include all of creation not just human beings. It is not a cosmological statement or Theory in physics . The Ancients never had an issue with this nonsensical either/or science vs religion category which moderns or rather I should say adolescent moderns seem to trip over. It’s for this reason some of the greatest advances in science have been made by those belonging to the synagogue or by church men and women and one could even argue that it is because J-ws and Christians understand God as a rational creator of a rational universe that open the doors for modern scientific enquiry. Conversely you can say that the fact that a finite human being could even begin to understand the Rational structures of the universe is miraculous in itself. Einstein, who was a secular J-w was also quite a philosopher of science and he understood that and expressed that quite eloquently.

124. MatrixTransform

Gawd, things go awry in an online forum.

Ive always had an issue with the Infinite Monkey Theorem..

a monkey hitting keys at random on a typewriter keyboard for an infinite amount of time will almost surely type any given text, such as the complete works of William Shakespeare. In fact, the monkey would almost surely type every possible finite text an infinite number of times. However, the probability that monkeys filling the observable universe would type a complete work such as Shakespeare’s Hamlet is so tiny that the chance of it occurring during a period of time hundreds of thousands of orders of magnitude longer than the age of the universe is extremely low (but technically not zero).

So here we are a planet full of monkeys (well, Apes) all tapping away …

Maybe we’re just random walk in a very very big universe.

…but then maybe we’re not

125. mh

When J*ws were being chased around the desert they would have needed every drop of water being carried strictly for drinking purposes. When hitting a sandstorm, every orifice would need to be covered, and they certainly couldn’t afford anyone getting sick from having sand under the foreskin. The Old Testament stories highlighted by others above were designed to make sure everyone got circumcised for the survival of the tribe.

These stories have the same purpose as Aboriginal stories designed to stop the kids going down to the waterhole and getting taken by a croc. They are just more sophisticated.

126. sdfc

The seeded by aliens theory is fantastical.

And of no use in trying to answer the question of how we got here.

127. MatrixTransform

Stimpy, are you going down the Boomers ate my Future path?

128. DrBeauGan

And of no use in trying to answer the question of how we got here.

The God theory doesn’t help much, either. I’ll stick with evolution.

129. DrBeauGan

I’ll go along with that. It describes Newton quite well. But we’ve learned a lot since then. Darwin didn’t get into as much trouble as Galileo, but Arky still disapproves of him.

130. sdfc

The God theory doesn’t help much, either. I’ll stick with evolution.

I don’t know what God is, but the shit happens theory doesn’t tick enough boxes for me to get excited about it.

131. None

Yes well we aren’t talking about hearts are we?
    You literally have no skin in the game.

Paul circumcised Timothy, Stimpy. And while the first church council- namely the council of Jerusalem (Acts 15) – affirmed that Christians need not be circumcised it never outlawed the practice and the church never has. In fact to do so is- as I said -to also deny the possibility of J–s being J-ws and for a Christian to do that to their J-wish brothers who are also their forefathers in the faith is outrageous. The Apostle Paul again: Salvation comes from the J-ws. I’m so sorry that you spend your entire life obsessing over your dick but perhaps if you didn’t, you wouldn’t be alone.

132. Stimpson J. Cat

Stimpy, are you going down the Boomers ate my Future path?

That’s not what I said at all.
    You all allowed this future to happen through inaction and complacency.
    Nothing was conserved.
    Nothing was saved.
    Now we all reap the whirlwind.
    Yay.

133. None

The thing is Beaugan you actually don’t believe in Evolution because you don’t live your life as if Evolution was the sum and total cause of our existence and in fact you demand of others something more than evolution could ever offer. But that’s ok. As they say hell is locked. From the inside.

134. Stimpson J. Cat

You really are a lovely specimen aren’t you?
    Delightful.

135. None

I’m quite a charmer , Stimpy, and I’m glad you recognise that.

136. MatrixTransform

the church doesnt make laws None.
    resorting to scripture is a cheap trick.
    a priori in this sense is no better than a slippery slope fallacy.
    Im sure the same case could be made for tossing virgins into volcanos.

Why does every space fill up with ideologues?

another quirk The Force ?

137. MatrixTransform

Enjoy yr eternal feast.

138. mh

The stories that the faithful quote above were designed for the survival of the tribe. When Joos were being chased around the desert, all the water being carried would be strictly for drinking purposes. When a sandstorm hits, every orifice must be covered and no way can anyone take the risk of getting sand under the foreskin and becoming sick.

The aboriginals had monster stories they told to kids to stop them wandering down to the waterhole and becoming croc food. The Old Testament stories have similar intentions.

139. None

Matrix what’s that Canon law about then?

140. None

There are elements of that too mh but that doesn’t negate sacramental understandings. It gives rise to them.

141. DrBeauGan

I never said it was.

I’m not looking for a sum and total cause of our existence. That’s insanely ambitious. I’m happy to have credible explanations for how a world of simple life forms got to having human beings and cane toads, and why the night sky is full of stars and galaxies. I have some reasonably believable theories.

Throwing a God in doesn’t help me there. He doesn’t actually explain anything.

142. Fat Tony

DrBeauGan
    #2953922, posted on March 9, 2019 at 1:07 am
    Throwing a God in doesn’t help me there. He doesn’t actually explain anything.

No, but it stops one from having to explain anything.
    I’ll still go with the idea that some spaceship dropped a batch of their lunatics here about 250,000 years ago.
    It makes more sense than some of the stuff I’ve read here tonight.

143. None

Throwing a God in doesn’t help me there. He doesn’t actually explain anything.

I pointed out above that saying God is creator is a theological statement not a cosmological one but it seems even basic English is beyond you.

144. DrBeauGan

No, but it stops one from having to explain anything.

I see that as a drawback. It’s a version of the lefties Shut Up!

145. None

so basically you are looking for the San Antonio cause of your existence and you can’t cope with the idea of chance.

146. DrBeauGan

I can get by reasonably well without any theological statements. Mine is a simpler, cleaner world than yours. A theological statement is a species of bullshit. I’m allergic to it.

147. None

A theological statement is a species of bullshit. I’m allergic to it.

Thanks for finally starting to be honest Beaugan. I have pointed out before that you’re quite a hater.

148. DrBeauGan

I suspect your voice 2text is acting up. It doesn’t help.

I’m quite competent at dealing with probabilities.

149. DrBeauGan

Nope. Not a hater at all. Just allergic to bullshit and not too polite to point it out.

150. Fat Tony

sdfc
    #2953901, posted on March 9, 2019 at 12:36 am
    The seeded by aliens theory is fantastical.

And of no use in trying to answer the question of how we got here.

No more fantastical than some of the alternatives being presented here tonight.
    And quite a bit more probable, I would imagine.

151. None

I see that as a drawback. It’s a version of the lefties Shut Up!

Yep all those Christians who are at the forefront of physics, cosmology, genetics, medicine and whatever really want you to shut up. For goodness sake. Please grow up, Beaugan. You’re about as jejune as the fuckwitted Dawkins https://www.lrb.co.uk/v28/n20/terry-eagleton/lunging-flailing-mispunching

152. DrBeauGan

I’ve had a similar argument with Dover with theology replaced by philosophy. You aren’t allowed to criticise it unless you’re an expert in it, and to mount a criticism is to be doing it. I daresay the doctorates in pole dancing and interpretive dance feel much the same.

Is God monitoring this thread?
    Well, of course He is.
    Does He give a fat rat’s clacker?
    Probably busy with other stuff in His Universe I suspect.

154. DrBeauGan

Is God monitoring this thread?
    Well, of course He is.
    Does He give a fat rat’s clacker?
    Probably busy with other stuff in His Universe I suspect.

It’s certainly much more interesting. I’m going to bed now and will read one of M C Beaton’s Agatha Raisin murder mysteries. It’s much more intellectually stimulating than arguing with None about words.

155. jupes

Zampa! Kohli gorn.

So is India.

156. None

Oh god, this Megan chick is so self obsessed. And the constant belly clutching is totally weirdo as. And how come Gillard didn’t tell her she is a prostitute now? Lib
    Ve how lefties like her slays crawl to royalty even fake royalty like Markle. And frankly we don’t really want the Shari Stone impersonation either. https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-6786039/Meghan-Markle-joins-Annie-Lennox-International-Womens-Day-event.html. Harry has married a cLassless bint and I am sorry that the Queen passed over her Commonwealth universities patronage over to these two shallow twits.

157. 2dogs

I believe the religion you are looking for there is Scientology.

158. Tintarella di Luna

areff
    #2953744, posted on March 8, 2019 at 10:27 pm

Thanks areff – this is one of my favourite movies – I’ve always loved Better Midler’ talent from the 1970s in For the Boys Bette Midler’s vocals are superb – however, since Better Midler has shown herself to be an off-the=planet privileged lefty the flames of fandom have died to a bare ember

159. Tintarella di Luna

areff
    #2953675, posted on March 8, 2019 at 9:19 pm

Faith of Our Fathers for me is the greatest hymn -I find its words and music deeply stirring and uplifting – I sang it every Friday at Benediction – then along came the shallow Kumbaya and the milk sop crap which only stirs the guts into nausea.

160. Nob

In spite of dungeon fire and sword.

161. Nob

I liked that bit, the rest was a bit shit.

Having a look at the top five stories from other Murdoch papers below the Oz main page I came across this one.

Kwinana renewable energy plant set to create 800 jobs in construction phase

Hmm, what is a renewable energy plant, and how can you fit one in Kwinana, which is kind of full up. Is it a bunch of windmills? An acre of solar panels? Another soon-to-be-dead wave energy critter?

A massive renewable energy project is set to create a jobs boom in Perth’s south.

More than 800 positions will be up for grabs in the construction stages of a new power plant that will burn rubbish to create electricity.

‘This is a win for the environment, a win for industry and a win for jobs,’ Premier Mark McGowan said.

LOL! It’s a garbage incinerator.

I recall so much greenie howling over incinerators back in the eighties that no one could build any of them anywhere near anyone. Sydney started railing it hundreds of kilometres and dumping its rubbish down the hole of the Woodlawn mine for example.

So now garbage incinerators are ‘renewable energy projects’ and the left loves them!

Oops, mean to post that on the new thread. Thought I was doing so. Too early in the morning!

164. Notafan

Get a grip Matrix.

I have never circumsized anyone or caused them to be circumsized.

All I have said is that circumcision is not the same as fgm, which is used either to prevent women being sexually active, or to facilitate gang rape (in the case of Aboriginal enlargement procedures) and I respect the rights of Jews to continue performing circumcision for religious reasons.

165. Tintarella di Luna

I see Troy Bramston is quoting Natasha’s Just-a-Spolier from her position of wealth and high privilege. I never heard her speak about the unbelievably difficult lives of checkout chicks who are trying to help with the family finances while raising children, looking after sick, elderly or severely disabled family members or nurses or aged-care workers, you know the women who do some of the most demanding jobs for some pretty ordinary pay, you know, the women don’t see their jobs as careers, but see their jobs as doing what needs to be done because not everyone can be Natasha’s Just-a-Spoiler – loathsome cow and as a first act, elevated by Abbott to taxpayer-teat0sucker, as roving ambassador for women and girls on the insistence of Julie Bishop (so he told me personally when I raised it with him)

: I thought we’d have gender parity by now: Stott Despoja
    TROY BRAMSTON
    12:00AM MARCH 9, 2019

When Natasha Stott Despoja became the youngest woman to sit in federal parliament almost 25 years ago, she spoke of the need for gender equality and made the case for more female MPs.

In 1995, just 20 per cent of MPs were women; by 2016 the level had climbed to just 32 per cent. The main parties still do not have enough women in their ranks.

“I thought we would have gender parity by now,” Stott Despoja, 49, tells Inquirer. “The representation of women overall is still too low. It has been disappointing and frustrating.

“Women are still subject to ­ridiculous stereotypes, and politics is still generally sexist, but I thought we would have equality of MPs by now.”

Stott Despoja, who led the Australian Democrats from April 2001 to August 2002, has always been a crusader for women. She went to her first political rally while in primary school. Her mother, journalist Shirley Stott, was a role model. She saw education as essential in empowering women.

In recent years Stott Despoja has become a leading advocate for ending violence against women.

The Democrats were path-breakers. They had more women in parliament, proportionally, than any other party. And more women in senior organisational roles. Janine Haines became the first woman to lead an Australian political party when she succeeded founder Don Chipp in 1986.

“We didn’t have the baggage of big unions and we certainly weren’t dominated by big business,” Stott Despoja says. “Don Chipp wanted ordinary Australians involved, so we didn’t inherit some of the biases or entrenched positions of the other parties.

“As a party committed to social justice and accountability, we gave women an equal say. Our second leader was Janine Haines, which people didn’t think was all that surprising for the Democrats.

“The other parties have taken a leaf out of our book when it comes to participatory democracy and women in politics.

“We didn’t need quotas but Labor has found that is a method that works. The Liberals need to find talented women, preselect and elect women, but also provide ongoing support for women. Cultural change in politics is needed.

“There are elements of sexism in debates and structural issues for women, especially with children, given the long hours and travel.”

The demise of the Democrats evokes painful memories for Stott Despoja who, after 12 years in the Senate, decided not to contest the 2007 election. The Democrats received 1.2 million Senate votes in the 1996 election. After the 2007 election, there were no Democrat senators left. The party held or shared the balance of power in the Senate for 20 years.

It was deregistered in 2015.

“It is one of the most heartbreaking aspects of my life,” Stott Despoja says. The rise of the Greens, despite the Democrats being the first real environmental party, and “division and disunity” destroyed them.

Another factor was the party’s role in helping with the passage of the Howard government’s GST, which split the party.

With the major parties edging towards the Left or Right, the rise of community independents and minor parties on the fringes, is there a place for a centrist party that can act as an honest broker?

“It is extraordinary the number of people who lament the demise of the Democrats,” she says. “I think people would like a centrist third force in politics. People are disappointed by the behaviour of politicians and are disillusioned by, and distrustful of, the major parties. We fulfilled that in some ways, which has not been matched since. I think people miss us.”

Stott Despoja’s book On Violence (MUP) was published this week. It begins with alarming statistics: a woman is killed by a current or former partner every week; eight women are hospitalised every day; police are called to deal with family violence every two minutes.

The book draws on considerable research and the stories of women affected by violence, blended with anecdotes from her time in politics and the community sector. It serves as a call to arms for governments, communities and citizens to address this crisis.

“I am frustrated and sickened by the violence against women and the number of women dying every week,” Stott Despoja says.

“I’m hoping to galvanise community action by providing something that is readable and conversational, with pointers for people to change their actions and awareness about violence.”

Stott Despoja is encouraged by the Morrison government’s policy measures, announced this week, that focus on primary prevention, early intervention and support services.

“It’s good to see leaders understanding the link between disrespect and violence and also gender inequality and violence,” she says.

“It is not easy for people to accept and make that link. That is not to say there are not things that compound abuse, like drugs and alcohol or poverty, but they act in conjunction with some very basic attitudes and behaviours that suggest women are inferior.”

Stott Despoja, once famous for wearing Doc Martens in the Senate, exudes integrity and authority, and has not lost her passion.

She was Australia’s ambassador for women and girls (2013-16) and has been involved in many community organisations, including Beyondblue and Our Watch.

It is a pity she is no longer in parliament.

“There are many things I don’t miss, but I do miss legislating,” she says. “I was always happy with the nitty-gritty of legislating, working on amendments and collaborating in the Senate committee system, a fundamental part of our parliamentary democracy.”

“I get my fair share of trolling on Twitter but I can’t imagine what it would be like as a politician.

“The 24-hour news cycle needs feeding and responding to, and I would find that frustrating and tiring if you want to focus on policy, which was my true love. But you can make contributions in other ways, which is what I’ve tried to do in my years after politics.”

Natasha Stott Despoja’s On Violence is published by MUP

166. MatrixTransform

numbers, no numbers … same thing

167. notafan

Get a grip Matrix.

I have never circumcised anyone or caused them to be circumcised.

All I have said is that circumcision is not the same as fgm, which is used either to prevent women being sexually active, sometime literally by sewing them shut, or to facilitate gang rape (in the case of Aboriginal enlargement procedures) and I respect the rights of Jews to continue performing circumcision for religious reasons.

168. notafan

apologies as this will end up a triple post

Get a grip Matrix.

I have never circumcised anyone or caused them to be circumcised.

All I have said is that circumcision is not the same as fgm, which is used either to prevent women being sexually active, sometime literally by sewing them shut, or to facilitate gang rape (in the case of Aboriginal enlargement procedures) and I respect the rights of J ews to continue performing circumcision for religious reasons.

The seeded by aliens theory is fantastical.

The noted astronomers Fred Hoyle and Chandra Wickramasinghe proposed it as a hypothesis, arguing (from calculations) that there was simply not enough biomatter on earth to account for the origin of life here in some “primordial soup”, as evolutionists generally hold. Though an atheist, Hoyle also suggested that only intelligent design could account for the order and variety of biomaterials. Some may judge those theories as fantastical, but it is remarkable where Hoyle’s intellectual candour took him – he was not one for believing that a scientific consensus closed a question!

170. MatrixTransform

crazy witch believes its a right to mutilate infants … as long as they’re boys.

Fight ya for the right mole?

yeah, I didn’t think so.

171. Kev

In Genesis 1:27

So God created man in His own image; in the image of God He created him; male and female He created them.

No deep sleep, no ribs, just clay to make both of them.

Later, in Genesis 2:22

So the Lord God caused the man to fall into a deep sleep; and while he was sleeping, he took one of the man’s ribs[g] and then closed up the place with flesh. 22 Then the Lord God made a woman from the rib[h] he had taken out of the man, and he brought her to the man.

Yep, two wives. The first one, according to myths was called Lillith

Read on