Thursday Forum: March 14, 2019

1,657 Responses to Thursday Forum: March 14, 2019

Supplementary Boeing question/comment.
    Two things mentioned here in the last few days :-
    Firstly, Boeing aeroplanes have traditionally had large steering wheel style control yokes, which were mechanically linked;
    Some observations:-
    (1) Had the AF447 crew observed standard protocols, they would have been clear on who was in control and, had that been the captain (correctly pushing forward to break a stall), the outcome would probably have been OK.
    (2) Small Airbus sidesticks (set on the outboard side of each crew seat and with a total travel of 4 – 5 inches) are very difficult for the opposite crew member to see. Using traditional Boeing style large central control yokes, it would be immediately apparent if the other crew-member was applying opposite controls. In fact, if they were mechanically tied, that would be impossible.
    (3) Had the AF447 computer simply said “Messieurs. I have control of le aeroplane. Put le mitts in le pockets and enjoy the ride. We will be straight and level again in a jiffy.”
    The computer was capable of recovering the upset if it had simply been left alone … and if it had told the crew so.
    (4) Instead of the computer sitting down in the avionics bay happily firing off memos to the engines and control surfaces, would it not be better for the computer to announce it is taking over and then apply control via the pilots stick, rudder pedals, throttle quadrant and trim wheels. The pilots would then see intuitively what the computer was trying to do?

2. struth

Fharken shitting himself again I see, yet won’t research his way out of fear.

Some people are drama queens.
    They love it.
    Maybe he should learn Mandarin and start sooking to the Chinese.
    No good talking to us.

Of course, while building their hundreds of new coal stations, on top of the existing hundreds of coal stations, the will be laughing their caved in Asian arses off.

Those bloody Chicoms , hey Fhaken.
    Seems socialism doesn’t really give a shit about the climate.

So, if we are all going to fry, and you tell them that, while waving your hands up and down, they plobabry think you are saying something compretly diffelent.

3. Elle

Don’t really care Elle I just thought the only relevance was to insult that’s all.

You asked me an ambiguous question.
    I responded.

The only relevance is to insult who?

4. Diogenes

A thing govt has upgefucht installment #344835683475634875 !

cause : Ban door-2-door electrictiy salesmen…
    effect : Endless phonecalls {indian accent} hello how are you to today? I am calling about your electricity bill{/indian accent}

I look at who is is ringing me before I answer & just reject the call & add to blocked numbers (and I am very very careful to whom I give my number- I am also one the very few people I know who does not have a pavlovian response that causes me to answer the phone). Mrs D gives hers out with wild abandon, and runs to answer the phone and doesn’t look first. (sigh!)

5. struth

Ms Struth just read my blast comment and called me a wacist!!

You stupid bitch I said, when I want to here from you, I’ll let you know, now back in the kitchen, wench.

Bloody women.

6. bespoke

The only relevance is to insult who?

Hark and that’s Ok by me naturally.

Elle
    #2958209, posted on March 14, 2019 at 5:32 pm
    Not in my circles.
    The PC brigade may have an issue with it.

Ok just curios.

7. pete m

So the breaking news on Pell’s credit is he forgot he saw a photo of a girl who slit her wrists when he denied seeing it to 60 minutes during an ambush interview.

that’s it, I’ve changed my mind he MUST be guilty of everything

the media are beyond rational thought over Pell.

8. gingerbeer

Bing- bong … I’m sorry Dave, I’m afraid I can’t do that …

9. Diogenes

Re children activists , the last party who propaganderised children was the National Socialist Democratic Workers Party ,the Nazis. It was called the Hitler Youth Movement.

Nope, not even close , you forget the Pioneers Movement. If you had mentioned environmentalism propaganda, then you may be correct

10. Elle

now back in the kitchen, wench.

At least you didn’t call her a bint.
    Wench is ok. I didn’t know your wife was a prostitute though.
    Good money though.
    Supply and demand.
    😉

11. MatrixTransform

Diogenes, when I find myself caught out on the phone to one these types I never answer a question.
    Not even my name
    I ask the questions: who’s calling? What do you want?

After their spiel I calmly tell them that I wont answer a question and will say ‘no’ to everything they propose…for as long as it takes to fuck up their KPIs.

The usual response is thankyou and then they hang up.

The best part is that they hang up probably thinking I’ve done them a favour where in reality, I’m a smug bastrd with a broad smug smile thinking “yeah, and fuck off tosser”

I love it that they actually hang up on me.

LOL

12. 1735099

Many Yanks I know have bypassed Australia and headed straight for NZ.

Unless they were aboard nuclear powered vessels, whereupon they were told unceremoniously to piss off.
    Gotta love the Kiwis.
    They don’t kowtow to anyone.

13. MatrixTransform

Ms Struth just read my blast comment and called me a wacist

you let her talk ??

**shakes head

14. struth

I didn’t know your wife was a prostitute though.
    Good money though.
    Supply and demand.

Neither did I.
    And just when you think you know someone.

15. Elle

Bespoke, I wasn’t insulting Hark.
    I was taking the piss.
    I think he may have a sense of humour.
    Not too shabby.

16. Confused Old Misfit

Boeing’s MCAS ( Maneuvering Characteristics Augmentation System) kicks in automatically when:
    Autopilot is off
    Plane is banking steeply
    Climbing after take-off with flaps up at close to stall speed
    Angle of attack is too high

MCAS deactivates when the angle of attack is lowered to an acceptable level OR the pilot overrides is by applying trim manually.
    From a description here.

17. Speedbox

From Vocabulary.com

Wench comes from Middle English, and was a common word for girl, child, or servant. Over time it came to mean mainly serving girls, as in a bar wench, who serves drinks at a tavern. Eventually it came to mean prostitute. If you find wench in a love poem from the 16th century, think of it as an informal version of maiden. But if someone called you a wench last week, you should be insulted.

18. struth

So you prove you’ve read it, so answer the Question SNIFFY McNOEYEDEER

19. struth

Hark! Elle, angels are often mistaken as gay. It’s the elocution, wit and refined good looks that confuses you, no doubt.

But in your case it’s because Gutterres has his Global socialist blue vein custard chucker in your fearful little chocolate starfish.

cohenite is a putz.

I defer to your much greater expertise on dicks harken farken. Actually, speaking of dicks there is sometimes a whiff of celibacy about your comments.

Can I just one negative about Pell, which of course doesn’t make him guilty of anything. The pic of him with Risdale is fucking awful. There was no possible reason for Pell to be accompanying that depraved piece of shit to court.

22. Boambee John

Numbers

They don’t kowtow to anyone.

Interesting that you use a Chinese expression for an obeisance demanded by the Chinese emperors.

Waaacisst??

23. Boambee John

Or cultural appropriation?

24. Confused Old Misfit

Waaacisst??
    Boambee John
    #2958251, posted on March 14, 2019 at 6:05 pm

Or cultural appropriation?

Are the two mutually exclusive?

25. Baldrick

The excuse of ‘I don’t recall’, when somebody’s memory fails them, is now a presumption of guilt.
    Good to know.

26. struth

Could I get a show of hands, as to who thought wench meant prostitute?

In who’s world?

Call girl, hooker, whore, sl…t etc etc all modern terms for pros, but wench has never , in my circle of highly educated and upwardly mobile truck drivers and criminals, has never meant anything except an almost fond term, meaning a servant girl who yes, you may want to bump uglies with, but you would not be expecting to pay for.

When was the last time you saw a prostitute milk a cow?

I thought I’d give the smart arses that question.

27. Fat Tony

struth
    #2958242, posted on March 14, 2019 at 5:58 pm

You owe me a new keyboard, you prick Struth

28. DrBeauGan

Harken Now
    #2958232, posted on March 14, 2019 at 5:51 pm

The bitchiness and spite are a giveaway, too.

29. Fat Tony

struth
    #2958259, posted on March 14, 2019 at 6:08 pm
    Could I get a show of hands, as to who thought wench meant prostitute?

I always thought it was something you used to tighten and loosen nut & bolts…..

30. struth

You owe me a new keyboard, you prick Struth

Steady please, we don’t like that sort of language around here.

31. Seco

JC
    #2958248, posted on March 14, 2019 at 6:04 pm

Are there any happy snaps of Bongiourno with his roommate? There must be at least one out there.

This student protest tomorrow about man made climate change is going to bite us in the arse pretty soon when the little darlings reach voting age.

I trust that makes you feel better?

Don’t try to be a smart-arse, stick with being a retard.

Seco, apparently the pic was of Pell accompanying the prick to court. It may be fake news but at this stage haven’t heard it’s the case.

35. struth

I was just thinking, seriously I was.

I just been all sorts of crude, but I notice I didn’t use the term Sl…t when describing what would be another slang term for a prostitute.

There are two words that cannot be uttered in front of women, and we know the other one.

But we know that one really sets the ladies off.

Climate harkel, any sea water swirling around your bedroom this morning? You moron.

The climate, the climate… OMG.

37. Elle

Could I get a show of hands, as to who thought wench meant prostitute?

👋 lol

What does bint mean when used here? It appears it is always used within the context of putting a bint down.

38. Speedbox

That’s why I looked it up. I always thought it was a serving girl, as in a bar wench, who serves drinks at a tavern. Perhaps used in fun elsewhere but I was surprised to see Elle’s description.

Bit like the word gay. Until relatively recently it meant lighthearted or carefree.

39. Seco

I know JC, but it’s amazing to me that a bloke who roomed with him etc and there’s not a shred of anything about it or if there is nobody in the media cares.

40. MatrixTransform

Could I get a show of hands

in my mind wench has never meant anything like prostitute. ever.

41. wench usage example

“More wine wench”

42. Seco

cohenite
    #2958271, posted on March 14, 2019 at 6:15 pm

According to Occasional-Cortex we’ll all be dead by then anyway.

43. MatrixTransform

bint == wench.

Seco

I can fully understand that. Pell was also in that house and he too said he had no idea. I don’t think Risdale would have told anyone what he was doing, so it’s very likely he didn’t know.

45. struth

Bint means a female of low intelligence.
    A follower.
    It covers a large proportion of females.

46. Exit Stage Right

Live in Peter Duttons electorate (Dickson). Security have just completed ring fencing his electorate office in Strathpine with a dozen or more big fat bollards. The Get Up rent a bogan lot are always waving placards outside his office and I understand a car went through his office front window a while back. So sad that its come to this. Fucking left wing activists creating havoc at taxpayer expense.
    What happened to the Australian fair go?

47. MatrixTransform

serf, knave, wench, underling, slave, apprentice, bootlicker, dogsbody.

do as yr told

48. struth

It’s not a student protest.
    It’s an education department protest using children they’ve brainwashed and the fact that they aren’t being ripped new arseholes is an indictment on just how bad things have become.

49. Confused Old Misfit

Wench has never meant Prostitute for me.
    I rather envision an active, strong (mentally and physically), open, full of life, challenging female.
    Bring it on wench!

50. Elle

Wench
    ARCHAIC
    a prostitute

I thought I was addressing older gents.

51. MatrixTransform

like a semantic reading somehow favours the offense-taker.

wanking post-modernism at its finest

52. A wanton woman. i.e. Immoral or unchaste; lewd.

53. MatrixTransform

Elle’s back fighting for the honour of wenches and prostitutes everywhere.

queer that you cannot see the absurdity of your position.

54. ddg says:

n.
    A young woman or girl, especially a peasant girl.
    n.
    A woman servant.
    n.
    A wanton woman.

55. DrBeauGan

Bint comes from the Arabic for a girl. Comes from when English troops were in that part of the world and picked it up from the natives. It’s only mildly derogatory. Wench means a serving girl.

Speedbox
    #2958236, posted on March 14, 2019 at 5:53 pm

From Vocabulary.com

Obviously I’m sheltered in these matters but I’d never connect wench with the word prostitute.

57. Elle

Bint means a female of low intelligence.

No, it means a girl or woman.
    But is often used in a derogatory way.
    Pleeeenty of examples here. 🙂

58. What happened to the Australian fair go?

Same question asked by people on Manus and Nauru.

59. MatrixTransform

But is often used in a derogatory way.

and, for a reason.

60. MatrixTransform

fuck off numbers you gobshite

61. Who gives a sh1t what it means. More ale for table 3, wench!

62. MatrixTransform

gobshite — often used in a derogatory manner.

gobshite
    Loud-mouthed person who talks a lot, but nothing with any value – as in shite coming out of their gob

Elle,will you be defending numbnutz or is he/she/it fair game?

PS If I’m not mistaken, wench was used in a jocular manner in the sitcom ‘The good life’ not so long ago.
    Tom would hardly call his wife a pro. would he?
    In a family show .

What happened to the Australian fair go?

Same question asked by people on Manus and Nauru.

A fair go for them would be instant deportation.
    They attempted illegal entry of another sovereign country.
    Therefore they’ve been getting a better than fair go.
    Free room, board, education and medical care on a pleasant tropical island.
    What’s not to like?

65. None

it is instructive that Tim Blair has not linked to DT articles on Pell. Their general standard of reporting on this a has been abysmal. Front page now have Pell hiring “Barnaby Joyce’s lawyer”. No he is an SC, effectively a gun for hire and a very good one I hear. But note the double smear.

Fharken shitting himself again

As he should, as ManBearPig speak is blasphemy, the ignoramus.

67. Exit Stage Right

Numbers you are such an arsehole. I have avoided the pile on up til now, preferring to give you and your Commo commenta a fair go, but hey a person can only take so much. I think you are on the wrong blog.

Same question asked by people on Manus and Nauru.

Why would people who have nothing to do with Australia ask questions about Australia?

How about the people in Yemen, or Madagascar, are they also fascinated and curious about Australia?

Should we care?

69. None

bint is derogatory. wench is not. wench is charmingly out of date but has never meant prostitute. in the past you could however call a man a wench if he hung around with prostitutes.

Bint means a female of low intelligence.

M0nster in a skirt?

71. DrBeauGan

I’ve come to the suspicion that occasional cortex is a Trump plant. She’s the Titania McGrath of democrat politics. Her job is to say things so loony that even democrats will be confounded.

I’ve come to the suspicion that occasional cortex is a Trump plant.

She’s got the norks for it.

73. MH:
    Probably for the same reason he won’t accept “Vaginamite” I suppose.

None
    #2958313, posted on March 14, 2019 at 6:36 pm

Tele wants more sales?

George Pell to appeal sentence, claiming judge, jury got it wrong
    Janet Fife-Yeomans, The Daily Telegraph
    an hour ago

Janet Fife-Yeomans – Penguin Books Australia
    Janet Fife-Yeomans is a bestselling author and award-winning journalist who has worked in newspapers and television in Australia and her native England.

Janet Fife-Yeomans – Daily Telegraph
    Janet Fife-Yeomans is an award-winning reporter and author of best-selling true crime books. A former deputy editor at The Australian, she has covered most of the country’s major crime stories including the Port Arthur massacre, the arrest and trial of Ivan Milat, the Lindt cafe …

75. John Constantine

Australian tax office announce a crackdown on cash only business.

Refuse to use cashless tech and get an unannounced and unwarranted and irrefusable entry into your place of business. Tough luck if you live there.

Comrades.

76. Elizabeth (Lizzie) Beare

Bring it on wench!

Yep, Big Sis’s latest beau, a nice man who is a ‘writer’, but too much of a greenie, said at Christmas I was a ‘buxom wench’. I don’t think he meant anything but that my three extra kilos were showing, and not in a way he found unpleasant.

Lost ’em now. Still a little bit buxom nevertheless. 🙂

77. Fat Tony

1735099
    #2958306, posted on March 14, 2019 at 6:32 pm
    What happened to the Australian fair go?

Same question asked by people on Manus and Nauru.

Yeah – I think it’s fair that they should go back home

78. None

Vocabulary.com is not run by philologist or linguists. It’s like Wikipedia. Wench is thought to derive from Wenchel in Middle English which is maid, girl, and could occasionally mean prostitute but that doesn’t mean wench has the same meaning. I would not be offended if someone called me wench.

Lindy Chamberlain-Creighton flies home to be with grieving kids …
    Jan 10, 2017 – LINDY Chamberlain-Creighton rushed to be with her children on the … JANET FIFE-YEOMANS and RICHARD NOONE, The Daily Telegraph.
    A dingo took baby Azaria Chamberlain from Ayers Rock in 1980 …
    Jun 12, 2012 – A dingo took baby Azaria Chamberlain from Ayers Rock in 1980, Northern Territory coroner finds. Janet Fife-Yeomans, DailyTelegraph.
    Northern Territory Government apology to Lindy and Michael …
    Jun 13, 2012 – Northern Territory Government apology to Lindy and Michael Chamberlain unlikely. Janet Fife-Yeomans, HeraldSun. June 13, 2012 7:00am.
    Lindy Chamberlain-Creighton historic ruling gives her peace | Herald …
    Jun 12, 2012 – Janet Fife-Yeomans, HeraldSun … When Lindy Chamberlain cried out on the night of August 17, 1980, that a dingo had taken her baby, there …
    Slowly building a murder case against Lindy Chamberlain | The …
    Aug 9, 2010 – Slowly building a murder case against Lindy Chamberlain. Janet Fife-Yeomans and Paul Toohey, DailyTelegraph. August 9, 2010 7:00am.

80. Shy Ted

“Both of my kids are sick. (My daughter is) very malnourished, she’s … very skinny,” she told the ABC from the Al-Hawl refugee camp in northern Syria, where she has her two-year-old son and six-month-old daughter”.
    You hard-hearted Australians! They seem like the nISISt family. Kindly add that to the Catictionary Muddy. Ta.

81. Fat Tony

John Constantine
    #2958325, posted on March 14, 2019 at 6:44 pm
    Australian tax office announce a crackdown on cash only business.

Well, they could start with all those Asian places that take cash only – that’d keep them busy for about 10 years.

82. None

haha the same Janet Fife-Yeomans who gave us secret Pell business yesterday. nope I now pay big zero to ,airstream media, Not paying for such hackers and smears. wish I could not pay for filthy ABC. But in the words of Cassie, I can be an activist too.

83. Elle

Elle,will you be defending numbnutz or is he/she/it fair game?

I don’t read numbers. I did briefly, but not anymore.

Matrix, maybe chill out a bit.
    You hate me. I don’t hate you. I don’t know you.
    I clearly irk you.
    Scroll by my comments.
    I’m not here every day.
    You, nic, noopy and Baldick can continue with your hatred of me.
    It means nought.
    I get more hatred here than on leftist forums.
    Interesting.
    I ain’t going anywhere though, but like some, I do take time out from this busy forum.
    Flouncing off out for dinner.
    Cheers 🥂 🙂

84. Fat Tony

None
    #2958328, posted on March 14, 2019 at 6:45 pm
    I would not be offended if someone called me wench.

Yes, but are you buxom? That’s the critical standard.

85. Baldrick

What happened to the Australian fair go?
    Same question asked by people on Manus and Nauru.

Hang on, why should we be dictating our values to people who live in a foreign country?
    In any other Leftard world that would be seen as cultural appropriation.

86. calli.

Laced up bodice, low cut blouse, full skirt and a tray of beers. With a carefree disposition and a big smile.

Octoberfestish.

87. hzhousewife

Perhaps Pell was demonstrating his Christianity, that’s how I like to think of it.

88. None

That would be revealing too much, Tony, but I am happy to fetch you a beer.

Pleeeenty of examples here. 🙂

Total nonsense. You’re dreaming.

90. Gab

Pell did so out of Christian charity, as would have Christ.

Whoops…

Got it. There are plenty of examples of bints at the Cat. Somewhat true.

92. Gab

Who you callin’ a bint, jeans-ironed boy?

I understand that, Gab. It’s a terrible look though. There’s also a private way of demonstrating Christian charity. He could have visited that walking depravity in jail.

Kids should be seen and not heard; look at some of the literary depictions of the little rats: The Destructors, Lord of the Flies and a S-F novella where aliens conquer the Earth by simply killing everyone above the age of puberty and letting anarchy reign.

95. MatrixTransform

Why Elle, when challenged, do you ascribe malcontent?
    Then preen like everybody hates you and wants you gone?

just remember wench, it was yourself that started the debate.
    antagonist is the word that comes to mind.

make sure you chew each mouthful 20 times.
    eat your crusts if you want curly hair
    all men are bastards.
    and other fairytales

96. Fat Tony

None
    #2958348, posted on March 14, 2019 at 7:00 pm
    That would be revealing too much, Tony, but I am happy to fetch you a beer.

Ahh my comely wench, I’d be liking that very much

Not you Gab. You know that. Which reminds me.. I haven’t noticed Jezebel’s attention whoring recently. Was she re-banned?

98. areff

Elle: if Harken is gay, as Gore Vidal said Roy Cohn, it would be the nicest thing about him.

99. calli.

He was asked and responded with charity.

Obedience is costly. If it wasn’t it would be meaningless.

100. DrBeauGan

Elle, nobody here hates you. We’re totally indifferent. You get a small plus for being a woman, a small minus for being a fag-hag, and absolutely nothing for being jooish. You get a minus for taking offence over nothing and occasionally getting hysterical.

But mostly, nobody cares.

The Letters of Robert Louis Stevenson Volume 2/Chapter XI

Life in Samoa, November 1890-December 1892

Letter: TO E. L BURLINGAME

VAILIMA, APIA, SAMOA, NOV. 7, 1890.

I think it will amuse you (for a last word) to hear that our precentress – she is the washerwoman – is our shame. She is a good, healthy, comely, strapping young wench, full of energy and seriousness, a splendid workwoman, delighting to train our chorus, delighting in the poetry of the hymns, which she reads aloud (on the least provocation) with a great sentiment of rhythm. Well, then, what is curious? Ah, we did not know! but it was told us in a whisper from the cook-house – she is not of good family.

102. Shy Ted

knew nothing and still knows nothing.

calli.
    Your comment is awaiting moderation.
    #2958362, posted on March 14, 2019 at 7:07 pm

He was asked and responded with charity.

Obedience is costly. If it wasn’t it would be meaningless.

Cronkite:

It’s another example of pedophrasty*. You see it in Australia all the time with the left. The climate harkel was doing it all the time until I smacked it out of him.

*Pedophrasty

Definition: Argument involving children to prop up a rationalization and make the opponent look like an asshole, as people are defenseless and suspend all skepticism in front of suffering children: nobody has the heart to question the authenticity or source of the reporting. Often done with the aid of pictures.

105. MatrixTransform

But mostly, nobody cares.

It aint the squirting that bothers me … its the smell.

106. Elizabeth (Lizzie) Beare

Hark! You can be quite amusing. You certainly get attention here.
    No, I’m not jealous 😉
    Angel, darling, my gaydar is very strong.
    Were you on the climate change float at Mardi Gras, highlighting how warm the planet is getting by wearing nothing but a leather thong?
    You can tell me. Absolutely no judgment from moi!

Fun comment, Elle. A kindly piece of sympathy to a distressed floatee. Shows we care.
    Now we can all picture Harken doing his worst on that float, his bumcrack very hurty in that thong.
    It puts in perspective the equally ridiculous nature of his other climate dramas, acted out here. 🙂

107. Gab

Don’t know, JC. Don’t really care 🙂

108. Myrddin Seren

Trump → Spaceforce

China → Dark Side of the Moon

Israel → Lunar knowledge archive

I am sure it is nothing to worry about.

( Returns to digging bunker ).

areff
    #2958361, posted on March 14, 2019 at 7:06 pm

He sounds awfully affected in that supercilious tone he has.. I’m sure he’s a virgin, but not the other way if you know what I mean.

110. Nick

But mostly, nobody cares.

A minus for being a 52 year old frumping around as if she is some sort of sexy model. 52 lol

111. Gab

Look it took a lot of courage and humility for Pell to accompany someone so loathsome. Even Christ kept company with the lepers and prostitutes and tax-collectors (worse than paed ophiles back in those days) in order to teach us, much to the horror of the Pharisees and Philistines who thought themselves holier-than-thou. Much like the Left and the media these days.

112. Myrddin Seren

When Felicity Huffman opened the door to her Los Angeles home at 6 a.m. Tuesday, she was met by FBI agents with their guns drawn, according a source familiar with the incident.

The agents informed her of the charges in a sweeping college admissions fraud case and handcuffed her, the source said. Huffman spent hours in federal custody at a detention center in downtown Los Angeles.

Feds seem pretty enthusiastic about dawn raids and guns drawn.

113. MatrixTransform

It aint the squirting that bothers me … its the smell.

Translation:
    It aint you Elle … its your politic

114. MatrixTransform

She’s 60!

2 beers

115. Nick

Yeah but JC, MC, talented, class, not hanging about a blog like a bear around a dump, looking for attention, continually feigning umbrage.

116. DrBeauGan

JC
    #2958382, posted on March 14, 2019 at 7:17 pm
    Nick

She’s 60!

If Elle looks like Michele Pfeiffer I’d be more kindly disposed to her. But I have doubts.

117. There was no possible reason for Pell to be accompanying that depraved piece of shit to court.

Quite so.
    However Pell is first & foremost a Priest.
    Had Risdale been sentenced to death, he would have been accompanied – if he wished – to the gallows by a Priest.
    As were both Ned Kelly and Ronald Ryan.
    As have been many others.
    The presence of a Priest in such circumstances does not mitigate the crimes, nor does it bring judicial leniency.
    The Priest is there to minister to the soul of the sinner.
    By his presence the Priest does not imply empathy with the sinner, nor does his presence imply a belief in the innocence of the sinner.
    I commend Pell for walking with Risdale.

118. Elizabeth (Lizzie) Beare

Titania McGrath on Bolt just now.
    Long live satire and having a sly dig.
    Very important, imho.

I look like Michelle Pfieffer.

I have her eyebrows.

120. MatrixTransform

I almost clicked on Farken’s link ….

and then I remembered I need to put the pie in the oven and make a nicoise salad (except the olives are kalamata)

They come in a little blunt pencil.

122. Shy Ted

A man from Waterbury in Connecticut faces divorce after his wife found out that he was not actually deaf and had been faking it for more than 62 years to avoid having to listen to her.
    According to the divorce papers, 84-year old Barry Dawson never spoke a single word in front of his 80-year old wife Dorothy during the decades they lived together.
    Seems that this is making the rounds on the ‘net – it’s a funny story and so it’s popping up all over. The only problem? It’s not true.
    World News Daily Report assumes all responsibility for the satirical nature of its articles and for the fictional nature of their content. All characters appearing in the articles in this website – even those based on real people – are entirely fictional and any resemblance between them and any person, living, dead or undead, is purely a miracle.
    Entirely fictional. The site does satire. This is pretty funny satire, but satire it remains.

I know several men living like this right now. And a lot more who wish they could.

123. Myrddin Seren

#Collegegate

This is a clever meme, but it might require a tad of thought…..

Hark! Did Guy Debelle’s Reserve Bank talk about climate change get a decent discussion here yet? A very sound speech.

The RBA execs discussing gerbil warming has as much cache as the UNSW dept of Gerbil science discussing monetary policy and the benefits or otherwise of NGDP targeting.

It’s another example of a decent institution stolen by the Left.

Climate Harkel, fuck off!

125. Frank

They come in a little blunt pencil.

Say it isn’t so Calli, surely you are not guilty of plucking with intent to pencil in.

126. Elizabeth (Lizzie) Beare

Well, you would say that, wouldn’t you Nick?
    Got form in being a narky nark.
    I’ve never met Elle face-to-face but I’m sure she is very attractive and lots of fun, unlike you.
    No woman here is in her first youth. For years now I’ve said I’m not quite the looker I used to be.
    But I still scrub up OK so I’m told. Not beyond doing a little bit of flirting with the tradies either.
    And I’m still the apple of sweet Hairy’s eye; his one good eye these days, lol.

127. Antipostmodernism

I am new here. I want to start paying out on The Australian because they have done my head in. At times I was probably the most popular commenter there and I put up the good fight for reason, but then suddenly mid last year they stopped publishing most of my opinions. Apparently I am now incorrigibly offensive because of new ‘standards’ where identity politics trumps everything. Now the Australian has a split personality where they preach free speech and don’t practice it. The writers have integrity but the editors I swear are garden variety Leftists and cowards. What sort of media outlet would effectively ban its most popular reader’s comments except Leftists purging ring leaders who oppose them. I’ve been writing complaints and agitating in every way I can think of to protest the idiocy of an alleged Right wing paper having Leftist moderation standards but they just kept brushing me and even punishing me with more exclusion.

One of the last straws was when I called China’s foreign relations ‘autistic’ and on appeal of my snipping they told me that the word autistic would offend parents of autistic kids. I replied that I have a severely autistic son and that normal people would not be offended, and that words are just tools and that word fit. China is described as autistic in academia. I have a bloody Masters in politics and wrote a thesis on Chinese politics. No mercy. No trust. Everything interpreted in the worst possible way.

But its not just about disputing words but ideas. The ‘sensitivity’ has got to the point where many mainstream ideas cannot be expressed in any form of words, and this signifies that thought police rule. I couldn’t get into my stride writing because every word and idea was perilous. They are demonically searching for problems that don’t exist. I demand the full use of the English language to express myself. I still regard the OZ as a good news source but by god I hate the Australian – at least the management.

You have nice eyebrows Elle.

I’m jealous.

129. Nick

But I still scrub up OK

A scrubber eh? Your words. Lol.

130. Antipostmodernism: Thank you for that.
    Very thought provoking. I’ve saved it for later regular perusing.

131. Nick

Oh shit, that was a ‘Hairy’ time for the team to skoll a drink.

132. Elizabeth (Lizzie) Beare

Antipostmodern, both Cassie and Percy, who comment here and whom I know personally, have detailed here how they are totally frustrated with the lefty J’sm School output kiddies employed to act as moderators on the Oz. Keep on complaining. Write out your issues as clearly as possible and do it immediately a comment is rejected. Cassie’s had success with them finally putting up her banned comment/s.

Finally! There hasn’t been a decent mafia hit in NY since the 80’s I think.

Gambino crime family boss Frank Cali shot dead outside Staten Island home

134. MatrixTransform

No mercy. No trust. Everything interpreted in the worst possible way.

Welcome.

135. Boambee John

JC
    #2958382, posted on March 14, 2019 at 7:17 pm
    Nick

She’s 60!

There was a line in a movie about 30 years ago, in which a male character described himself as being “as happy as Michelle Pfeiffer’s underpants”.

One of those lines heard on late night TV that sticks in the brain.

Gambino crime family boss Frank Cali shot dead outside Staten Island home

Are the Five Families still a thing in the US?

137. Atoms for Peace

With AOC informing us that the world is finished in 12 years, why are banks still lending out to 25 years? Why sentence anyone to life imprisonment? Am I missing something, or does my inner skeptic look back on massive IPCC fails and says” Get stuffed you rent seeking bastards”

138. Gab

You look awesome for a 52 year-old, Elle. You must tell me your secret to such youthful skin!

139. Elizabeth (Lizzie) Beare

A scrubber eh? Your words. Lol.

I’ve scrubbed more toilets than you’ve had hot dinners, Nicko my lad, you miserable entitled porcelain turd stain. Yes, I’m that sort of scrubber as well as someone who luckily still has very good skin which shines up well after a scrub with a washcloth. Not a scrubber with any other sort of deleterious meaning that eludes me.

Elle, saw your pic there. I have some photo’s Tinta’s seen of me at various ages. Not making unjustifiable claims. I’ve got a few rather nice recent ones too. Maybe use one sometime on my Gravitar. 🙂

140. Nob

demonically searching for problems that don’t exist

That will be civil society’s epitaph.

You seem clearly upset that scientific (and economic) reality has a left wing bias.

You dickhead, most reasonable minded people are upset that once august institutions are being stolen by leftwing activists and turned into propaganda organs for the left.

Which is just another way of saying – the wingnutty Right now believes that “winning” a culture war is more important than listening to scientists, so they’ll ignore scientists and listen to the cranks and the handful of contrarian scientists instead.

I’m not saying anything of the sort and it just shows what a fucking moron you are.

You Climate harkel, posted a comment giddy with delight that the RBA exec was discussion gerbiling as though this is a voice of authority on the subject.
    They aren’t.

I counted your stupid comment with the suggestion that a climate science wing of a university discussing the benefits of NGDP targeting would have equal worth… zero!

How stupid are you?

On economics – how’s that Laffer-ific Trump deficit, going hey?:

Has Trump or anyone in his administration ever even discussed Laffer let alone argued that in reference to the tax cuts or deficits, you delusional homosexual?

142. Elizabeth (Lizzie) Beare

Oh do shut up, you tiresome thing, Harken. Go and harp on your harp somewhere else.

143. Gab

Yeah, welcome to 2019. I work with a lady of Aboriginal descent, no not like the whiteys. Anyway, she was talking to me today about matters Aboriginal and I had to bite my tongue when she got to the bit in her story about Aborigines not being recognised until the 1967 referendum, despite may of them enlisting to fight in WWII etcetera. I let her talk as she wasn’t abusive or nasty or condeming. A sweet nature d person really so I thought no point in hitting the dear woman with a clue bit and let it slide. That plus I was at work and any disagreement with the victimhood story would have meant instant dismissal – or worse cultural sensitivity training.

144. Shy Ted

What a great day. Morning swim, 50m from shore pod of dolphins heading towards me. What to do? Stop? Keep swimming? Kept swimming. Didn’t detect me til 10m away and then swam under and around me. Something between exhilaration and terror (just in case they weren’t friendly). Weekly shop. 50 years ago in Pommieland my favourite treat was Club biscuits (if you like a lot of chocolate on your biscuit join our club, the ad went). In the specials section, packs of 8 $1.10. Haven’t seen them in 30+ years yet there they were. Bought the lot, just had one, it’s the real thing. Better than sex. Text came in, bill for motorbike only $270, was expecting a lot more. Went to the bus stop and a potential 2 hour public transport trip to bike shop and noticed a gentle sea breeze as predicted but much earlier than forecast. Walked up the hill with paraglider that I’ve been reluctant to fly cos it does frightening things. 3 hours later and 2+ hours of flying in smooth conditions which around lunchtime is incredibly rare and I’m absolutely buzzed. Feel 18 again. Rush home cos I remember I’ve left the roast on low in the Bessemer and it’s cooked to perfection. Just got to treat myself and a bottle of Dan Murphy’ finest bubbles (under $10) throws itself at me. When I moved here 10 years ago 5 days of the week in Summer was like this. 4 years ago the weather pattern changed and hasn’t reverted back. Please, please, please let this be that point in time where it does.

145. Nick

And I’m still the apple of sweet Hairy’s eye; his one good eye these days, lol.

Pure parody. Come on, tell us about your husband pulling ‘rank’ with a Telsta supervisor one more time.

146. cultural sensitivity training

Should be required for all immigrants.

Pies are hot.
    Beer is cold.

147. DrBeauGan

You are safe from me, Elle. I shan’t be stalking you.

148. Confused Old Misfit

Wrong on so many levels.

Angel, darling, my gaydar is very strong.

Hahaha. Quite so, Elle. My faggot radar went off the day he arrived.

Deviants are desperate for approval of their deviancy, wherever they can find it — especially in the real world outside the homosexual leftoid bubble.

Hark – Meditate on the fact that a house built on lies cannot stand. That was the case of the Soviet Union. So far Venezuela and North Korea have managed to prop theirs up, but only at the cost of utter misery and squalor.

The CO2 global warming danger is a myth that, as you have seen from links to data that I give, likewise cannot stand for long in the face of the extensive contrary evidence. We are already seeing cooling occur. At present the climatistas are trying to explain the cooling as caused by CO2, but as with the emperor’s new clothes someone is going to point out their naked ambition and corruption. Don’t get caught in it son when the time arrives, it will be unpleasant. As Maduro appears about to find out.

151. Antipostmodernism

Lizzie, I think you welcomed me earlier and thanks for that. The new dreadful OZ moderation standards came along at around the same time as a new Digital Editor started there and my vibe of him is that he is a toad and I have had direct correspondence with him and other editors. The moderation reviews seem on the surface as a protection of free speech but I think it gives the moderators more scope to censor comments in the first place and one has to grovel to have them published. In other words the default is to NOT publish if one pushes boundaries even just a little. I won an appeal last night, but as with these things the punishment is the process and I have spent more time in recent months complaining than writing comments and I have been miserable. Even yesterday people were saying they miss me and to never give up but the bastards make it so hard to reach other people and I am not going to tilt at windmills anymore. I have written several quality complaints to specific editors and they never acknowledged them. The OZ hates its own readership and lacks integrity.

152. Elle

Lizzie, yep, apparently, according to some, I’m an old hag at 52. Fortunately I am blessed with good skin and genes. I look a lot younger, and feel a lot younger than I am. I wouldn’t, and you wouldn’t, need to go into bat for ourselves if there weren’t so many who constantly bag us simply because we are proud of our femininity.

By the way, Nick is a complete and absolute wanker. One hand on the keyboard, the other locked on underneath. He’s much like the leftards here – nothing but hate, hate, hate.

Gab,
    No secret. Good genes. Blessed. Though I have always used Nivea products. 🙂

153. Harlequin Decline

Speaking of appeals, the Italian’s have one going on.

To quote from the article-

Italy’s justice ministry has ordered a preliminary inquiry into an appeals court ruling that overturned a rape verdict on the grounds that the victim was too ugly to be raped.

The ruling has sparked outrage in Italy, including a demonstration on Monday outside the Ancona court where protesters shouted “Shame!” and held up signs saying “indignation”.

The appeals sentence was handed down in 2017 – by an all-female panel – but the reasons behind it only emerged when Italy’s high court annulled it on March 5 and ordered a retrial.

154. hzhousewife

Shy Ted, that day of yours sounds like perfection topped off with gratefulness, how wonderful!

You used to pretend to be an angel who was deeply concerned about climate, but now finally you come out and admit you are a lefty stooge. Baby steps.

It was clear from the start that you didn’t have the first clue about science when you couldn’t understand how time series filtering works … but now that we understand you a political operative at least that much makes sense.

156. areff

The things on which our masters spend public money: Sleep Health

157. Arky

Pell did so out of Christian charity, as would have Christ.

Not sure about that.
    I think he was pretty clear about what should happen to anyone who harmed children.
    Millstone and throw yourself in the sea.
    If Pell had been accompanying the rotter to the nearest sea cliff with a mill stone and a length of chain…

158. Nick

Yawn
    Stage 1: push an issue to create fake umbrage as a victim
    Stage 2: accuse other Cats of sexism, homosexuality, misogyny or anti semitism
    Stage 3: flounce off
    Stage 4: re appear.

159. Chris

Could I get a show of hands, as to who thought wench meant prostitute?

No hand here.
    My wife, as literate as Lizzie, seems to find being called ‘wench’ an anachronistic piece of sexism, not a disparagement of her honour.

160. Fat Tony

Elizabeth (Lizzie) Beare
    #2958436, posted on March 14, 2019 at 7:54 pm

So that’s not you presently on your gravitar?

161. Elle

Appreciate your support, areff.

162. Notafan

I always thought wench went with buxon and was harmlessly complimentary.

163. Overburdened

The calibre of the repartee and the fuckwittedness of the usual suspects appear to be reaching new extremes in opposing directions.

164. Old School Conservative

It’s hailing in the not-so-leafy-anymore Northern Beaches.
    If the big guy up above has any time left over from protecting Cardinal Pell, perhaps he could send the hail to the school kids protest tomorrow.

165. Harlequin Decline

Antipostmodernism
    #2958460, posted on March 14, 2019 at 8:14 pm

One tactic that has worked for me a couple of times is to write a polite but firm snail mail letter to the CEO copied to the other key people in management outlining how it is costing them revenue, goodwill and losing customers and giving a succinct example of comments that have been blocked. It costs a few stamps but gets results.

166. Arky

but whoever causes one of these little ones who believe in me to sin,[a] it would be better for him to have a great millstone fastened around his neck and to be drowned in the depth of the sea.

Pretty clear, and I might suggest the vehemence and context gives it primacy over almost anything else said by Christ.

Sorry, but has to be mentioned, again.

To all who post huge slabs of text.
    If you want to be read, please break it up into paragraphs.

Much easier on the eyes and more chance of being read in its entirety instead of being glossed over.

168. Old School Conservative

Wenches carry large steins of beer at Octoberfest.
    QED.

169. Elle

Wench has many meanings. I was being facetious (inappropriate, as usual).

170. 2dogs

more important than listening to scientists

How go you determine which scientists are the legitimate ones?

I base it on track record.

So I have a lot of respect for William M. Gray.

171. Notafan

I’m pretty sure primacy is given to is love God and love your neighbour.
    You have a novel interpretation of a verse that talks about causing a child to sin

Abusing a child does not cause that child to sin

Does it also occur to you that one can both be sympathetic to victims and charitable to sinners?

Good to know.

Not entirely.
    “I don’t recall” worked beautifully at the Trade Union RC and the frequency of use meant it had to go in for a re-tread seven times.

173. Fat Tony

Hark! Harken Now = Trollius Faecus
    Off is the direction in which you should fuck.

That dickhead at the RBA who made that pro-alarmist speech about renewables being good for the economy is a dickhead; his comments:

RBA warns on climate fallout

Michael Roddan The Australian March 12, 2019

Climate change and the conversion to a low-carbon economy or a world with more erratic weather events will have “first-order economic effects” that require an ­“orderly transition” to ensure ­financial stability, Reserve Bank deputy governor Guy Debelle has declared. In a landmark speech in Sydney tonight, Mr Debelle said the RBA was using climate change data in its macroeconomic models and had joined a global group of central banks called the Network for Greening the Financial System to better understand the impact of a warming planet.

“We need to reassess the frequency of climate events. In ­addition, we need to reassess our assumptions about the severity and longevity of the climatic events,” Mr Debelle said.

He was the third leading regulator to speak on climate change at the Centre for Policy Development in three years, after Australian Prudential Regulation Authority member Geoff Summerhayes warned business directors were legally liable if they didn’t factor climate change into their business plans, a position ­endorsed a year later by the Australian Securities & Investments Commission’s John Price.

The current drought in Australia has cut farm output by 6 per cent and reduced economic growth by 0.15 per cent, a drag on the economy Mr Debelle said would continue this year.

“Droughts have generally been regarded (at least economically) as cyclical events that recur every so often. In contrast, climate change is a trend change. The impact of a trend is ongoing,” he said. “These issues are central to businesses, households and government.”

Mr Debelle said the RBA was being forced to analyse the impact of “scale, persistence and systemic risk” of climate change, noting that how China and India — both big purchasers of Australian coal — sought to generate power would have implications for the economy. “The timing and speed of the response by households, businesses and governments is likely to affect the economic outcomes,” he said. “Decisions that are taken now can have significant effects on future climate trends and can limit or eliminate the ability to mitigate the effect of those trends.

“Decisions taken now by businesses and government may have a sizeable influence on that transition path. Both the physical impact of climate and the transition path can cause shocks and cause the trend to change.”

He said industries and communities that were “especially ­exposed” to the climate would benefit from lower costs in the event of an “early and orderly” transition.

“Financial stability will be better served by an orderly transition, rather than an abrupt disorderly one,” he said.

“Challenges for financial stability may arise from both physical and transition risks of climate change. Insurers may face large, unanticipated payouts. In some cases businesses and households could lose access to insurance. Companies that generate significant pollution might face reputational damage or legal liability from their activities, and changes to regulation could cause previously valuable assets to become uneconomic.

“All of these consequences could precipitate sharp adjustments in asset prices, which would have consequences for financial stability.”

Any serious analysis, based on an assumption that man made climate change is real, of a cost/benefit context shows that doing nothing is vastly better than attempting to contain temperature increases.

175. Arky

I think it is clear what the verse means. and that it would encompass the act and results of abuse.
    And I think it is charatable to encourage sinners to repent and act correctly.
    How should a sinner who cannot overcome the urge to harm children and lead them astray act?
    Read the verse.

176. Gab

Yes and he also mentioned redemption for those who repented.

I don’t think you understand what we mean by ‘charity’, Arky.

177. Win

Anti post mod. The Australian is left through and through and have been this way since Keating was PM and paul Kelly editor. Janet Albrecksten was the first hidden Liberal who still watched her psandqs. Terry McCann was another who is today not what he was then and much to his shame wrote what was expected leaving him self wide open to be shot down by those whom the Australian as a whole despise.

178. zyconoclast

Nxivm co-founder Nancy Salzman pleads guilty in s3x cult case

The co-founder and president of accused upstate s3x cult Nxivm broke down in tears Wednesday as she admitted to hacking into emails of the group’s perceived enemies and destroying evidence that could be used against them.

Nancy Salzman, 64, who pleaded guilty to a single charge of racketeering conspiracy, sobbed as she apologized for drawing her daughter, Lauren — who is also charged in the case — into the group, which prosecutors have described as a perverted pyramid organization.

“I want you to know I am pleading guilty because I am, in fact, guilty,” she said in Brooklyn federal court, her voice breaking. “I accept that some of the things I did were not just wrong, but sometimes criminal.

“I justified them by saying that what we were doing was for the greater good,” she told Judge Nicholas Garaufis. “I am deeply sorry for the trouble I caused my daughter, [and] the pain I caused my parents.

“I still believe that some of what we did was good,” she added.

Salzman, also known as “Prefect,” co-founded the self-proclaimed self help group with Keith Raniere in the 1990s.

Raniere, alongside “Smallville” actress Allison Mack, Seagram heir Claire Bronfman and Salzman’s daughter Lauren, still face s3x trafficking, kidnapping, money laundering and other charges for allegedly coercing women into having s3x with Raniere.

Her lawyer Robert Soloway told The Post Tuesday that his client would not be cooperating against her fellow Nxians.

In her tearful statement, Salzman said she’d obtained passwords and user names to monitor suspected moles within the organization and see if they were revealing the group’s secrets.

She also confessed to “having others destroy video tapes” memorializing Raniere’s teachings.

The former psychiatric nurse lives in Albany, and has been battling undisclosed health problems. Neither her daughter nor the other co-defendants were in court.

Prosecutors allege there was a secret s3x-slave ring inside Nxivm, called DOS, in which women were starved, branded, and encouraged to have s3x with Raniere.

Bronfman and Nxivm accountant Kathy Russell are charged with money laundering and racketeering, and have requested they be tried separately from Mack, Raniere and Lauren Salzman, who are also facing s3x trafficking charges.

Lauren Salzman, who claims to have had a minor role the group, is also seeking a separate trial in order to distance herself from the troubling allegations surrounding the secret group.

Garaufis has yet to rule on their request. Opening statements are scheduled for April 29.

Salzman will remain out on bond until sentencing, which is currently scheduled for July 10.

Prosecutors have requested Salzman serve between 33 and 41 months.

What the hell is Trump’s kid dating?

Give Junior a break, JC. Kimberley is your smarter big-breasted bimbo, irresistible to red-blooded males. Most important, she is a conservative and won’t get Junior into one of Dad’s hooker scandals.

180. Shy Ted

Robin Hood lives. And gets bail. Just another day in Nimbin.

181. Antipostmodernism

Harlequin, I have done all that except for the snail mail part which I guess would put them under more pressure to take the complaint seriously and give a proper response. Thanks for the tip. I still can’t fathom why the OZ would take this odd path where they are rejecting and insulting their own core customers and ignoring the predictable outcry. I wonder how far up this is approved. Perhaps there are legal issues, or they are just cowardly and out of touch elites who only mix amongst woke people and really believe that PC is the default standard in society.

182. Arky

Gab, Nota.
    Do you or do you not interpret the verse to include that it would be better for someone who had that irresrible urge, to be drowned, rather than continue to harm little children?
    Or do you think Christ meant that it was better to drown than to train pickpockets?
    What do you think?

Former Victorian Greens MP Samantha Dunn quits ‘toxic’ party

AAP
    46 minutes ago March 14, 2019
    No Comments

A former Victorian upper house MP has resigned from the Greens, saying the party has become “too toxic”.

Samantha Dunn, who represented Eastern Metropolitan Region from 2014 until last November, posted to her Facebook page on Thursday announcing her resignation because she could no longer accept the culture in the Greens.

The Greens are distracted by populism, self interest, power, ego, narcissism, megalomania, appealing to narrowcast demographics and virtue signalling while exercising that old war strategy of divide and conquer,” she wrote. “Aversion to conflict resolution means that tensions fester, no one is ever pulled up for poor behaviours, the behaviours escalate and become legitimised because no one ever says no or stop it or that’s inappropriate.” While the minor party managed to claim Brunswick off Labor at the November 24 state election, Northcote went back into ALP hands and four upper house MPs including Ms Dunn didn’t make it through.

From the Oz. All is not well in the bouncy castle..

184. Steve trickler

Bloody seppos! ( :

The context is one of power and humility.

The disciples were asking who would be the greatest in heaven and Jesus pinned their ears back by giving them the example of the child. They had to be humble like the child and understand it’s all too easy for evil to use positions of power to cause others to stumble (sin).

The fascination with power and position and influence is corrosive.

186. Shy Ted

What the hell is Trump’s kid dating?
    In a few years it’ll be his Stormy Daniels moment.

Jesus is also emphasising the seriousness of sin. Causing a child to “stumble” doesn’t necessarily mean sexual depravity. It can be as simple as rubbishing the child’s faith.

Millstones are a lot more easily earned than we like to think.

188. Eyrie

Leigh Lowe
    #2958214, posted on March 14, 2019 at 5:36 pm

“Supplementary Boeing question/comment.
    Two things mentioned here in the last few days :-
    Secondly, Flight AF447, where two French pilots were applying diametrically opposite pitch inputs into a European aeroplane via sidestick control, whilst the French computer was trying to do something completely different, resulted in the aircraft ending up at the bottom of the Atlantic.”

On AF447 we see the problem with Airbus cockpit design. The side sticks not mechanically or linked or servo driven to mimic each other. This can be done. Things like the throttles do no physically move when the auto flight system commands them. They do on Boeings.

The computer never flew the aircraft. When the 3 pitot tubes iced up the computer threw its hands in the air and said, “over to you, BTW all the normal fly by wire, stall and envelope protections are gone”.
    The F/O , the guy flying, for some reason pulled the stick back to climb and held it there until the aircraft stalled. WHY? (later)
    Now they were heavy, high, close to “coffin corner” where the mach buffet and stall buffet are close together, at night, in turbulence in cloud.
    What happens when the computer quits? The airspeed (already out to lunch because of the blocked pitot) and altitude displays revert to RAW data instead of corrected for error data provided by the computer. There will always be pressure errors on the raw data. In this case the altitude display shows a sudden loss of 300 feet (by my calculation). This can be interpreted as a sudden dive which may be why the F/O pulled the stick back. Why he kept it there is a mystery. The attitude display isn’t going to suddenly provide bad data just because the pitot failed as it is ring laser or fiber optic gyro based. All he had to do was maintain attitude as nothing had obviously changed apart from the autopilot mode quitting and the airspeed showing zero.
    BTW airline pilots get very little, if any, practice hand flying the aircraft at altitude. It is actually quite difficult to maintain an altitude within limits at True Air speeds of 450 to 500 knots. Small attitude changes result in large rates of climb and descent.

189. Elizabeth (Lizzie) Beare

Hey you newbies, that’s most of you compared to me and Gab and Candy, my gravatar pic has always been Fay Wray, the original King Kong ‘it’ girl. Never any secret about that. That’s because she has a Hairy Ape too. Back in the day, Kittehs all decided not to use personal pics, to deter nasty stalkers.

Nick taking delight in picking up on Johanna’s fake memes re me and picking on Hairy too like she used to. That’d be right.

190. Bloody seppos! ( :

If you’re interested in the history, a visit to the MacArthur Museum Level Eight MacArthur Chambers 201 Edward Street, Brisbane, is worthwhile.

There is some interesting material, especially in regards to the racial tensions which were imported by the Yanks, and which completely bewildered the locals.

From Wikipedia –

Troops of the U.S. 208th Coast Artillery rioted for 10 nights in March 1942, fighting against African-Americans from the 394th Quartermaster Battalion. This was attributed to white American resentment towards African-American access to dance halls and for associating with “white girls on the streets of Brisbane”. As a result, U.S. military authorities segregated African-Americans, restricting them to the south side of the Brisbane River. However, trouble continued with a major race riot at Wacol, knife fights in South Brisbane and American military police assaulting or killing black troops simply for crossing the Brisbane River. This further incited the Australians, whose culture towards military police was notably different.

The digger shot dead by the Yank MP was Ted Webster, a Milmerran lad.

Confused Old Misfit

#2958235, posted on March 14, 2019 at 5:53 pm

Autopilot is off
    Plane is banking steeply
    Climbing after take-off with flaps up at close to stall speed
    Angle of attack is too high

From a description here.

OK.
    So, say that our 200 hour veteran in the right hand seat is handling the take-off.
    He pulls on too much back-pressure.
    The Angle-of-Attack indicator goes out of limits and MCAS kicks in and lowers the nose.
    Eventually the MCAS gets it back inside the envelope and disengages.
    Simultaneously, First Officer Biggles is still pulling back but seeing more and more brown appearing on his Artificial Horizon (AH).
    Fark! More back pressure!
    MCAS takes over again and pushes the nose down and once again gets it back in the envelope and again hands back to Biggles.
    Biggles is again seeing the brown section of his AH risong up and the blue disappearing, so pulls back harder.
    Rinse and repeat.
    This might explain a flight radar report that it appeared to be “porpoising”.

192. Nick

Oh I have no doubt the poor man suffers beyond belief.

193. amortiser

Anti postmodernism:

I had a similar experience with the Australian more than 20 years ago. For years almost all my contributions to the letters page were published. They provoked discussion and debate. I used to get phone calls from all over the country thanking me for my thoughts. That was when the Australian letters page was the best in the country. The letters editor would even ring me sometimes to discuss amendments to clarify a point. I thought that was terrific.

Other papers would leave paragraphs out or change the text to have the opposite meaning. Hello the Courier Mail!!

Then the letters editor was replaced and that was the last letter I had published. The quality of the letters page declined dramatically. It hasn’t improved in the years that followed.

194. Cassie of Sydney

“Elle
    #2958461, posted on March 14, 2019 at 8:14 pm”

Elle and Lizzie…I’m an Ella Bache girl.

195. amortiser

Harken said:

Whatever happened to Dame Judith turning up and going “what utter tosh” to any other economist who, you know, believed science or otherwise disagreed with her?

So what’s the science that they believe? Be specific.

196. Eyrie

The Australian is run by communist scum.

197. vr

What the hell is Trump’s kid dating?

She is Gavin Newsome’s (CA Gov) first wife. She used to be a prosecutor, former FOX host. More accomplished than Junior.

198. Elle

Oh I have no doubt the poor man suffers beyond belief.

You are a an absolute cunt, Nic.
    You have read what Lizzie is going through; yet you attack her.
    You’re a limp dick.
    A very nasty man.

199. Elle

Oh I have no doubt the poor man suffers beyond belief.

You are a an absolute c*nt, Nic.
    You have read what Lizzie is going through; yet you attack her.
    You’re a limp dick.
    A very nasty man.

200. Snoopy

Elle
    #2958461, posted on March 14, 2019 at 8:14 pm
    Lizzie, yep, apparently, according to some, I’m an old hag at 52.

Elle, if it’s any consolation I have heard (not told directly) that women age from the ends towards the middle and men age from the middle towards the ends.

Look at the faces of the climate striking little darlings; Give me the Child and I’ll Give you the Man, or woman or whatever the fuck these brats turn into.

202. None

Risdale has been in jail since 1994. He was due out April this year but he’s probably had another lot of charges. I don’the know. As long as he is in July at care to know about him. The guy was positively evil but here is the Stark Truth. If he has repented and reformed and made restitution as best he can and pleading guilty and serving time is part of that ( again I don’t know that’s between him and his god) then he will find his place in glory and yet some of his victims may not if they don’t repent of their own sins – and note being a victim is not a sin but being a victim doesn’t make you immune from sinning either
    God’s grace means just that: Grace. You don’t deserve it nor can you earn it. It is sheer gift but you can only accept it if you turn to him and take it as it is offered.

Not sure about that.

——————–

… whoever causes one of these little ones who believe in me to sin, it would be better for him to have a great millstone fastened around his neck and to be drowned in the depth of the sea.

– Matthew 18:6

Jesus is obviously not talking about children per se – who are incapable of committing serious sins (and certainly have committed none if sexually abused). He is talking about what He will do to those who undermine the faith of Christians. I’d be more chastened and worried if I were Marr-Milligan than if I was Pell.

Name names, who is the bastard?

205. Nick

You’re a limp dick.

Hang on, haven’t you been whining about the word wench?

Look at the faces of the climate striking little darlings;

I’m presuming they all walk to school and don’t have air conditioning in the classrooms?

207. None

Hey, limp dick is my insult. But oh ok, I’ll share.

208. Arky

women age from the ends towards the middle

Asian chicks don’t age at all.
    Mine still looks twenty.
    Try to be more asian. Drink green tea, do the vee sign in photos and squint a lot.

209. Atoms for Peace

I know Doomlord abhors violence, but any chance we could turkey slap Harken to death with Numbers?

I don’t blame the kids … their heads are empty … it’s the teacher’s job to fill them up.

This “strike” is about teachers filling kids heads with garbage instead of teaching them the basics. Every single person who reports this action as coming from the kids themselves is part of the problem.

211. amortiser

cohenite
    #2958535, posted on March 14, 2019 at 9:28 pm

Name names, who is the bastard?

Too long ago. He was replaced by some sheila. IIRC he went to edit a Catholic newspaper in NSW.

Asian chicks don’t age at all.

There was a funny meme about Asian women and ageing a while back.

213. Arky

I wasn’t talking about Pell, CL.
    And don’t you think abuse leads many children to sin? The jails are full of them.

214. Snoopy

Couldn’t get his head around that coding shit?

215. Elizabeth (Lizzie) Beare

Could you be a bit more specific about the repartee, overburdened?

There’s such a huge thunderstorm over the harbour that I couldn’t hear you. 🙂

216. None

Today’s feel good story:

A former Victorian upper house MP has resigned from the Greens, saying the party is “too toxic”.

Samantha Dunn, who represented Eastern Metropolitan Region from 2014 until last November, posted to her Facebook page on Thursday announcing her resignation because she could no longer accept the culture in the party.
    “The Greens are distracted by populism, self interest, power, ego, narcissism, megalomania, appealing to narrowcast demographics and virtue signalling while exercising that old war strategy of divide and conquer,” she wrote.

217. Snoopy

There was a funny meme about Asian women and ageing a while back.

That’s the Aspley yum cha!

Which is absolutely brilliant by the way.

Various articles are sporting comments from some PARENTS , for chuck’s steak, boasting about how proud they are, that their children understand the importance of climate change.

219. bespoke

When did Sinc start handing out long service medals?

220. Snoopy

Scomo said we live in a free country. No biggie.

221. Cassie of Sydney

“Antipostmodernism
    #2958505, posted on March 14, 2019 at 8:45 pm”

I think that the moderators have a list of “annoying commentators” that they don’t like and you and I and others are on the list. I have made several complaints to the Digital Editors about my comments not appearing. After complaining they are usually then published. However I note that they have no problem publishing nasty and puerile comments by their favourite lefty trolls. There is a woman named Margaret whose comments regularly appear…her comments are invariably nasty, adolescent and insulting about any right of centre politician.

In early February I read a comment which was utterly abusive and defamatory about Margaret Court….I couldn’t believe that it had been approved. I sent off an email asking why this comment was permitted and then, after my complaint, the comment was deleted. I know they are engaging in selective censorship.

A few weeks ago I wrote to the digital editor about my concerns with censorship. I was assured that the moderators don’t engage in political bias. I say bulldust. Sometimes my comment will take hours to appear, sometimes they “hide” my comment….so it looks like the comment has been approved but it doesn’t receive any “likes” despite me knowing that my comments are usually well liked.

I subscribe to The Australian because I like reading Janet Albrechtsen, Jennifer Oriel, Chris Mitchell, Chris Kenny, Maurice Newman and a few others. However my subscription is hanging by a thread. The Oz’s coverage of Pell was and is disgraceful…..bordering on hysterical….the journalist that has done a lot of stories on Pell…John Ferguson…is a leftist anti-Catholic bigot.

222. Arky

Ab, if I can eek this one out into her sixties I won’t have to worry about a new wife until I’m nearly seventy.

Thanks for the background Eyrie.
    I think the lack of hand flying experience is a definite contributor.
    It would be great for focus, concentration and experience if the autopilot would randomly disengage in cruise flight (with, say, 5 minute warnings of course), which would require 5 – 10 minutes of hand flying. The crew could reject the hand-flying period before or during the manual period for whatever reason (weather, traffic proximity etc) but every pilot would need x number of manual sessions per 100 hours flight time.
    The main problem seems to be man-machine interface, or rather, lack thereof. The human pilots often don’t know what the automated systems are doing, or why, and the automated system isn’t bothering to tell them.

224. Arky

Then, my second one will see me through to 110.

It gives us power to put our opinion across’

By Sascha O’Sullivan
    13 minutes ago March 14, 2019
    No Comments

Koko Bacic, Hermione Mackay and Hazel Tych are only in Year 8 and all have school tomorrow, but the Newtown High School of the Performing Arts students aren’t letting their age stop them from rallying with tens of thousands of other kids to fight climate change.

As many as 50,000 students are expected to join the School Strike 4 Climate Action rallies taking place around the country today, despite attempts by education ­departments and schools to keep them in the classroom.

“We’re going to the strike ­because it gives us power to put our opinion across … climate change is horrible for the environment, it kills loads of animals and kills habitats,” said Koko, 13.

According to the girls, their school in Sydney’s inner west listed­ the time and place of the rally in school ­notices.

Each girl’s parent will sign an absence note so they can leave school for the midday rally.

“A lot of teachers and polit­icians claim to say you have to stay in school to get a future, and stay in school to get a good job, but we won’t have that future … if climate change keeps on getting worse and worse,” Hermione, 12, told The Australian.

The three girls said there were students in their year who had helped ­mobilise kids to get them to attend the rallies.

Pet peeves of the girls include plastic water bottles and smoking. “It’s not just the litter of the cigar­ette butts — it’s really bad for pollutio­n and bad for the environment,” Koko said.

From the Oz. WFM

226. Arky

Be exciting looking for a new woman when you’re 110.

227. Nick

I think the lack of hand flying experience is a definite contributor.

Word is that pilots, often ex Air Force, on Asian carriers such as Air Asia, can’t handle visual approaches to airfields such as Coolangatta, as demanded by ATC.

228. Elle

Hang on, haven’t you been whining about the word wench?

I never whined about it.
    You don’t do humour, do you limp dick.

229. Eyrie

LL, most companies discourage hand flying unless absolutely necessary. If I owned an airline all my pilots, unless they flew aerobatics, gliders or Experimental homebuilts (no autopilots) would do at least an hour a month in the company’s Pitts/Extra/glider etc. More encouraged.

230. Elle

Hey, limp dick is my insult. But oh ok, I’ll share.

Cheers, None. 😉

231. Nick

Ever the victim, Elle. You’re a real keeper.

No, jails are full of people claiming to be abused.
    We spoke about this earlier today in relation to Windschuttle’s citation of a British journalist who researched the police tactic of “trawling” for “victims” in order to get somebody. What happened in the UK is that many of the respondents were criminals who told bullshit stories of abuse to get a lighter head sentence. The Get Pell operation known as Tethering (a VicPol in-joke, for they were trying to tether Pell to child abuse) was based on the UK model. It is a wholly discredited tactic and is now regarded as both dangerous and vile.

233. Old School Conservative

Westpac ad on just now on the teevee shows a young boy shuffling between his two separated parents.
    The images show how very much he loves each of them and they love him.
    Instead of advertising Westpac’s flexibility in managing their finances, what about asking the question
    “If you both love the kid so much, why not stay together and work it out for his sake?”

234. Elizabeth (Lizzie) Beare

Cassie, I have, a heap of Ella Bache which came in a presentation zip case that I now use to store my CD’s for long car journeys. It is just the right size. But I’ve used good old Nivea forever too. My my mum had a jar of it which she never used. I started using it at 14 and always have a jar of it handy. As you know, I am not exactly a bag of old wrinkles, so you don’t have to pay a fortune for good skincare, even though I like the expensive stuff too.

235. MsDolittle

The Australian Conservatives do not seem to know where their preferences will fall. Where is Custard?

236. Arky

No, jails are full of people claiming to be abused.

Both can be true.
    Crims can lie about being abused and abused people can be more likely to go astray.
    It isn’t one or the other.

237. Snoopy,

Arky
    #2958558, posted on March 14, 2019 at 9:50 pm
    Be exciting looking for a new woman when you’re 110.

If you’re rich, that’s not a bug, that’s a feature.

238. Snoopy,

Arky
    #2958558, posted on March 14, 2019 at 9:50 pm
    Be exciting looking for a new woman when you’re 110.

If you’re rich, that’s not a bug, that’s a feature.

239. Elizabeth (Lizzie) Beare

Sorry for typos. On my phone half watching PM Live. Amanda Stoker a great asset to Qld NLP.

240. DrBeauGan

Arky, you’re interrupting an important discussion on skin care.