Monday Forum: May 13, 2019

3,232 Responses to Monday Forum: May 13, 2019

1. pete m

Good luck peter, but the dinner mention just reminds me of a past moron and is superfluous.

You are putting your time and money where it counts, which is 100% more than most of the cat commenters.

2. Crossie

Not so, I spent a good chunk of Thursday handing out how to vote leaflets at a pre-poll station.

Are we looking at diesel or gas fueled steam locomotives?

IIRC they have to refill the water tender every c. 160 km, hence the old tank sands still dotted around the country.

4. Oh come on

With all this reporting of Saudi tankers being “sabotaged”, four words spring to mind – don’t trust the Saudis. Or maybe three – trust but verify. Verify the fuck out of it.

5. John Constantine

OCC orthocell, goes for a recent run as trials show it can patch up severed human nerves, currently trauma severings can be fixed, not degenerative nerve damage.

Had a chat today to an old mate pretty chuffed about the ‘overnight biotech success’ given he was a seed capital provider and has been tied up in them nearly all century so far.

6. Knuckle Dragger

Taking the phrase ‘a bit each way’ to new levels:

Greens candidate for Higgins Jason Ball has been belting around in a non-hybrid non-EV Holden Astra, which was given to him by the company so he could drive it all around Victorian schools telling the kiddies how wonderful it is to be gay.

In exchange all he had to do was take pictures of it, put it on social media every month or so and do some hashtagging. Ball said he was not ‘shilling for Holden’. I don’t know what that’s code for.

7. Top Ender

Could have all stayed on the plane I suppose.

Qantas flight attendant sues after slipping on wet stairs

A Qantas flight attendant who slipped on wet stairs while exiting an aircraft at Brisbane Airport is suing the airline for $315,000.

Margaret Chapman, 47, suffered shoulder, neck and thumb injuries in a fall that left her with a permanent impairment and less employable than before the incident in April 2015.

A statement of claim filed in the Brisbane District Court by Patinos Personal Lawyers said Qantas should have known that using mobile stairs from aircraft in inclement weather would expose flight attendants to the risk of slipping. It was also claimed Qantas should have provided stairs that were not slippery when wet and should have provided training and instruction in the safe manner of descending the mobile stairs in wet weather.

The claim said Qantas failed to carry out an adequate risk assessment of the task of descending the stairs when wet. “But for the negligence of the defendant (Qantas), the plaintiff (Ms Chapman) would not have suffered said injuries,” the claim said. “The defendant required the plaintiff to perform her work duties in an unsafe manner.”

Qantas is yet to lodge its response to the claim and was not willing to comment to The Australian, as the case is before the court. However, it is understood that in some circumstances such as when an aircraft is parked away from a gate with an aerobridge, Qantas has no choice but to use mobile stairs in all weather conditions. Mobile stairs or ramps are also used at airports such as the Gold Coast and Hobart where there are no aerobridges.

A Flight Attendants Association of Australia spokesman said cases of cabin crew slipping on mobile stairs were extremely rare.

Earlier this year, mobile stairs being used to board a Ural Airlines A320 in Barnaul, Russia, failed, causing six passengers to fall to the ground. The same airline was involved in a similar incident in St Petersburg in 2017, when two passengers fell from a collapsed platform as they disembarked a flight.

In another Australian case, an elderly passenger sued Jetstar in 2010 for not providing safe access to the aircraft after slipping up stairs at Brisbane Airport.

When the District Court found in favour of the passenger, the airline appealed and won, successfully arguing that it was not liable for his injuries, under the Civil Aviation (Carriers Liability) Act.

Oz link

8. Black Ball

At work today we had the Shooters, Fishers and Farmers Party, or whatever they call themselves, their candidate for Mallee. Very eloquent young bloke who suggested that the Nationals will bleed votes over the Murray Darling plan. His idea is to reunite water and land on which it’s used. He wanted to leave how to vote cards with me but I said I couldn’t, but just leave them outside where the free truck and tractor magazines are. Will be interesting to see how he goes.

Green candidate for Higgins Jason Ball labelled a hypocrite for Holden promotion

Alice Workman
    Political Reporter
    @workmanalice
    4:44PM May 13, 2019
    60 Comments

Greens candidate for Higgins Jason Ball has been labelled a “hypocrite” by Labor for using his official candidate Instagram account to promote a Holden car he was given for free as part of a marketing deal.

In at least 13 posts between June 2017 and February 2018, Mr Ball shared pictures of a Holden with the hashtags #HoldenAstra, #LetsGoThere and #collab to his 7,352 Instagram followers.

“Excited to partner with @holdenaustralia, who’ll be helping me get around to share my story wit schools and sporting clubs across the state in this amazing #HoldenAstra,” Mr Ball posted on 12 June 2018

Other professional looking photographs of the car shared by Mr Ball were captioned “Dreaming of a weekend away in my #HoldenAstra”, “You never know what’s just around the corner while exploring Melbourne’s laneways” and “I [love heart emoji] my #HoldenAstra thiiiiiiiis much”.

In a press release from October 2017, Holden referred to Mr Ball as a “friend and collaborator”.

At the time of the Holden deal, Mr Ball’s twitter profile described him as the “Greens candidate for Higgins 2016” and he regularly uploaded photographs of himself wearing a Greens shirt while campaigning for marriage equality.

Just over a month after he stopped posting about Holden, Mr Ball was officially announced as the Greens candidate for the key battleground seat of Higgins, recently vacated by Liberal frontbencher Kelly O’Dwyer.

Mr Ball told the ABC last week: “[Holden] gave me a car and in exchange for that I had to do an Instagram post once a month and I did that for a couple of months.”

Mr Ball was a no-show at the Greens press conference in Melbourne on Monday, and did not answer questions from The Australian.

From the Oz. A hypocrite? Such an ugly word to use about one of the good, the holy, the saintly Greens?

10. mh

Trump currently having a Tariffathon on Twitter, but also this

Donald J. Trump
    @realDonaldTrump
    1h
    Has anyone noticed that all the Boston @RedSox have done is WIN since coming to the White House! Others also have done very well. The White House visit is becoming the opposite of being on the cover of Sports Illustrated! By the way, the Boston players were GREAT guys!

11. Steve trickler

egg_
    #3011624, posted on May 13, 2019 at 10:09 pm
    Are we looking at diesel or gas fueled steam locomotives?

I doubt there was a bloke shoveling coal into those beasts. ( :

12. Knuckle Dragger

In other more palatable news, Swedish prosecutors have re-opened their rope investigation against Julian Assange now he’s been kicked out of Ecuador and doing porridge in Blighty.

He could have been golden for years from now. All he had to do was have an occasional shower, say ‘please’ ‘thank you’ and ‘may I’, and not smear cat shit on the walls.

But nooooooooo. Apparently that’s not how smart people do it.

He’s about to do yuuuge jail time on two continents.

13. mh

Rosanna Arquette
    @RoArquette
    Women will vote all you corrupt misogynistic pigs out of office. Keep your filthy evil hands off our vaginas. we out number you ,you will not win.
    8:11 AM · May 12, 2019

Lizzie? Vaginas or vulvas?

14. Peter Castieau

From the other side of the thread…..

Day 16 of the campaign and day 12 of pre-poll.

I started early and emailed maps to Alan who is doing great work for AC in WA. Pre-poll has become huge as the graph illustrates. I saw Lee’s post earlier and its up 75% on last year. There were several periods today when I was running solo and it was madness.

When I arrived at pre-poll I knew something was up with young Tyler from One nation all dressed up. Then another candidate Angus Young arrived too! Once I scoped out the car park is was clear to me that Pauline Hanson was the big surprise.

Then Senator Peter Georgiou arrived and refused a selfie citing my tweets. Bit nasty don’t ya think?

And then the star of the show Pauline!

She had a long chat with 2 Greens volunteers. I didn’t ask Pauline for a selfie given her last exchange with Cory was pretty heated. The lovely Diana from the blue team kindly took this photo of me.

Then Pauline’s chief of staff James Ashby appeared. Remember he’s currently banned from entering parliament because of his behaviour. Then right on cue the village idiot arrived….you couldn’t make this up.

Later I met this lady who had exited the booth and she was riding a very expensive bicycle with all the right headwear too. She told me that for the first time in her life she had voted Liberal.

The car of the day was this Maloo 6.2l supercharged ute. Nice. The Peugeot RCZ Coupe and this 3 wheeler motorbike were nice too! And then for the first time at this booth a photo of Bill Shorten! Seriously this is the first time I have seen a picture of Bill on Labor material.

At presicely the right moment Lee arrived and this allowed me to get to the local lunch bar for a bite to eat. Thanks Lee.

The another lady Jo who is a friend of Edna declared she had voted for us too!

I left the booth at 3.45, went to the local hardware store, bought double sided tape and good glue. I then went and kitted up Mike and Rita who are doing Sorrento for us on polling day.

I made two A-Frames using the very last of the spare bases I had left and put them outside to dry.

Rogan Josh for dinner.

15. Knuckle Dragger

That’s ‘out of’ not ‘off’ your vagina, Ros.

Just sayin’.

16. Peter Castieau

Thanks Pete M

17. Oh come on

Keep your filthy evil hands off our vaginas

Somebody funnier than me could have an absolute field day with this.

18. RobK

Peter,
    You picked up my #1, $2.70 comming your way, all going well. My postal vote from Durack.

19. mh

No matter how metrosexual or feminized men get, they still get stereotyped as having “filthy hands”.

I always wash my hands after a pee. At work I even use hand sanitiser.

Go to Hell Ms Arquette, and I wouldn’t touch your vag with someone else’s dick.

20. Knuckle Dragger

Good point mh.

I would imagine one’s hands would be teeming with all sorts of nasties after touching Arquette’s VW bonnet.

And as for optics, a hung gutted rabbit would compare favourably.

Breaking news – Doris Day, gone to God at 97.

22. John Constantine

ne of the two Saudi vessels was on its way to be loaded with Saudi crude oil from the port of Ras Tanura, to be delivered to customers in the US, Saudi Arabia’s state-run Saudi Press Agency (SPA) reported Monday.
    While the agency didn’t mention casualties or oil spills, it did say there had been “significant damage to the structures of the two vessels.”
    On Sunday, the UAE said that four commercial cargo ships were targeted by “sabotage operations” off its eastern coast. The apparent sabotage took place near to UAE territorial waters in the Gulf of Oman, east of the emirate of Fujairah, the country’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation said.
    It is unclear if the ships mentioned by Saudi Arabia and the UAE are part of the same incident.
    The UAE ministry did not elaborate on the nature of the alleged sabotage, or offer any indication as to who might be responsible, including whether it was carried out by individuals or

Pirates or suicide speedboats or rpg equipped drones?

The worlds most significant oil chokepoint sees two attacks on oil tankers.

Might ring up the fuel truck and order in a topup of diesel to finish cropping, australias fuel supply reserves always look shaky on paper. A real blockade of oil tankers and American navy escorted convoys would make shaky economies feel the pressure a bit.

Comrades.

23. Elizabeth (Lizzie) Beare

8:11 AM · May 12, 2019
    Lizzie? Vaginas or vulvas?

Both wrong. The pussy-grab made famous by The Donald is actually a grab at the part of a lady known as the Mons Pubis, or more attractively, as the Mons Venus.

It is hard to ‘grab’ a Vulva, it requires more of a fingering, careful there now, and that leads then into the Vagina.

It is very important for gentlemen to know these things, as there is so much mystique attached to the lady bits of human life. In fact, what I think these women are on about is really their ovaries, fallopian tubes and the female uterus, for these are the actual organs of reproductive fulfilment. The other things are merely the means to that end, as it were. Nice as they are, of course. 🙂

Now someone else can do the funnies about it all. My job is done, clarifying things for youse.

24. Arky

Doris Day, gone to God at 97.

Que sera.

25. Knuckle Dragger

Perhaps a more appropriate comment by Arquette would have been ‘keep your evil dirty hands off my turkey baster. I’ll need it once I get my temperature right’.

26. Elizabeth (Lizzie) Beare

I have heard nothing yet from the Aust Cons re my offer to hand out how-to-votes. There doesn’t as yet seem to be a booth captain.

I shall have to find out how to get some before Saturday. I’ve started my walks again, slowly, to mend my knee properly, and could also letter box a few around here.

27. Knuckle Dragger

Lizzie,

Numbers will be scribbling notes on his fridge ‘to do’ list as a reminder. I’m sure he’s grateful.

Thank you LizzieB, I now consider myself well informed on the subject.

29. Elizabeth (Lizzie) Beare

Doris Day, gone to God at 97.
    Que sera.

That wrote itself, Arky.

30. Steve trickler

So glad to discover the JLP interview with her. It would be easy to think this is all staged,

Curse you, Knuckle Dragger, I’ve a large Scotch, and William Duicker’s biography of Ho Chi Minh – written with access to the North Vietnamese archives……

32. Knuckle Dragger

Hurley.

Good God mh.

I don’t know whether to punch Shane Warne in the throat out of jealousy, or buy him a beer out of envy.

Even more impressively, not a camel toe in sight.

33. Roger:

She wrote a piece about her return, iirc, and how hard it was looking for a job.

There’s the problem – she’s not looking for a job. She’s after a sinecure.

I’ve found him! The only British cartoonist not heaping invective on Nigel Farage. Patrick Blower (London Daily Telegraph).

… But all the lefties like Brian Adcock (London Independent) can’t stand him.

Meanwhile, even the commos at the Guardian acknowledge Farage is cutting a swathe through the political landscape. Ben Jennings.

37. Dragnet

No overnight stoushes?
    What’s going on?

38. John Constantine

24/7/365 kangaroo rescue Service and vets to be funded from rates?. While a kangaroo cull goes on?.

39. John Constantine

Mornings like this, with enough time for a cup of nice herbal tea before loading the truck with sheep, were different back before the coffee pot got banned.

Don’t miss coffee…..much.

40. pete m

Crossie, I said most cat commenters, knowing a few like yourself do some work supporting their local members.

S Kelly on the money.

Lizzie, she may be referring to abortion rights rather than physical body parts. And funnily enough female voters got trump over line and look to be saving lnp seats in qld.

41. bespoke

Roger
    #3011508, posted on May 13, 2019 at 7:54 pm
    “Schoolgirls scream for Shorten”
    He does know they don’t vote, doesn’t he?

Yes, but he’s planning to change that.

To many politicians believe the people around them represent that demographic including there own kids.

42. Twostix

David Rowe appears to have finally produced a cartoon that makes a political point.

Unfortunately, I haven’t yet been able to figure out what the point is. Something about ScoMo selling out to the other side? Makes no sense.

44. bespoke

To me a populist is someone who changes position to placate the mob.

But, let me tell you, we can build a fence 40 stories high — unless you change the dynamic in Mexico and — and you will not like this, and — punish American employers who knowingly violate the law when, in fact, they hire illegals. Unless you do those two things, all the rest is window dressing,” he added.

45. Their ACT City Council to make it illegal to hit a kangaroo in your car without filing a report.

I’m sure quite a few truckies won’t even notice until they’re at Port Botany.

46. Rosanna Arquette
    @RoArquette
    8:11 AM · May 12, 2019

I wouldn’t even grab your pussy.

47. 40 stories high

🤔

I think I’ll believe that when I see it.

That’s a lot of tiles!

48. John

Environment ACT also reckon ALL accidents must be reported to the ACTPOL. That’s not even true.

I really don’t believe these laws are enforced.

All vehicle collisions including on paths and other road related areas in the ACT must be reported within 24 hours. This includes all road users – drivers, cyclists, pedestrians and motorcyclists.

So if a kid with low rating proprioception (an “unco spastic”) runs into you whilst you are walking, you’ve got to tell the cops?

I guess since violent crime in the ACT is fairly low, they need to justify their existence, when they’re not getting busted for kiddie pr0n.

49. What if two 11 year old boys, as I once may have done, decide to play “chicken” on their shiny new 15 speed mountain bikes?

Are they guilty of a justice offence if they don’t complete the form online or report to a cop shop within 24 hours?

FFS.

Nice country you had there. What a shame if some urban bugmen were to turn it into a shit splattered latrine.

Keep your filthy evil hands off our vaginas.

If you could regulate your own behaviour … then no one would be having this big argument over abortion.

51. Cassie of Sydney

I remember a line from a song that was in Grease ….sung by Stockard Channing….and there was a line…

“Keep your filthy paws off my silky drawers”.

Here’s the whole song….it mentions Doris Day….America’s sweetheart….

Look at me, I’m Sandra Dee
    Lousy with virginity
    Won’t go to bed
    Till I’m legally wed
    I can’t, I’m Sandra Dee
    Watch it, hey, I’m Doris Day
    I was not brought up that way
    Won’t come across
    Even Rock Hudson lost
    His heart to Doris Day
    I don’t drink or swear
    I don’t rat my hair
    I get ill from one cigarette
    Keep your filthy paws off my silky drawers
    Would you pull that crap with Annette
    As for you, Troy Donahue
    I know what you wanna do
    You…

52. Farmer Gez

Don’t miss coffee…..much.

My wife is trying to kill coffee time for me as well.
    Resist resist!

Twostix
    #3011781, posted on May 14, 2019 at 6:54 am

Exhibit A – Steve Irons and his wife barrelled by union thugs who jostled and swore at his wife. He returned serve, with a well-aimed cluebat.

Apparently righties aren’t supposed to say mean things.

If they’re getting shrill and violent, it may mean they see the election slipping away.

People voting right simply don’t disclose their intentions any more.

I can’t imagine why.

55. Spider

As predicted a Labor candidate (Ann Ali) is in receipt of an anonymous “racist” voting information leaflet which no one has laid claim to.

Neck and neck as Coalition makes up ground on Labor: Newspoll

Simon Benson
    National affairs editor
    12:00AM May 14, 2019
    112 Comments

Victorian, Queensland and West Australian voters are set to decide the outcome of Saturday’s federal election, with the three states swinging most strongly behind Labor since 2016, despite Scott Morrison remaining the preferred prime minister.

Exclusive analysis of Newspoll since the beginning of the campaign reveals the Coalition making up significant ground in most mainland states in the past five weeks and turning around its ­fortunes in NSW to now lead Labor.

However, popular support for the LNP in Queensland remains 7.2 points down on the last ­election, elevating Labor to an equal footing after preferences on a 4.1-point, two-party-preferred swing in what is regarded as the key swing state.

The picture in Victoria, which alone could deliver Labor a ­victory, has Labor increasing its lead by two points to 54-46 on a two-party-preferred basis in Bill ­Shorten’s home state.

Western Australia has also emerged as a potential problem state for the Coalition. While it remains in front there on a 52-48 split after preferences, Labor has engineered a 2.7-point improvement in its position since 2016, raising the stakes for battle in several seats that the Coalition had hoped to retain.

It is status quo in South Aus­tralia, with an increase in the primary vote for both parties following the collapse of former independent Nick Xenophon’s party. Labor’s lead of 52-48 ­remains largely unchanged on the previous election.

The state-by-state breakdown of Newspolls conducted since the April 2 budget shows the Coalition clearly winning the campaign, having significantly improved its position compared with the first quarter of the year when it averaged a two-party-preferred vote of 47-53 behind Labor.

From the Oz.

57. What Israel Folau should have posted (as suggested by the old codgers* – average age 71 – from my Tuesday morning scripture/coffee crew) –

John 15:9-17
    As the Father has loved me, so have I loved you. Now remain in my love. If you keep my commands, you will remain in my love, just as I have kept my Father’s commands and remain in his love. I have told you this so that my joy may be in you and that your joy may be complete. My command is this: Love each other as I have loved you. Greater love has no one than this: to lay down one’s life for one’s friends. You are my friends if you do what I command. I no longer call you servants, because a servant does not know his master’s business. Instead, I have called you friends, for everything that I learned from my Father I have made known to you. You did not choose me, but I chose you and appointed you so that you might go and bear fruit-fruit that will last-and so that whatever you ask in my name the Father will give you. This is my command:
    Love each other.

*Includes two ex-Nasho Vietnam Vets.

58. Robber Baron

Just received this email…

You may have heard nbn™ has arrived in Thornbury. You’ll eventually need to move your home phone and internet to nbn, but right now there’s high demand for appointments and nbn co is facing delays getting everyone in your area connected.
    To avoid any inconvenience, we recommend you hold off switching your services to nbn.
    Rest assured, we’ll continue monitoring the situation and let you know when it’s the right time to switch if you choose to connect to nbn with Telstra.

Take your time. I’m in no rush.

59. The prepoll voting thing is happening because at a lot of places going to vote now has become extremely intimidating trying to get to the ballot box walking through a jostling aggressive mob of bussed in lunatics blocking access and shoving those stupid how to vote cards in your face.

Not really.
    Anyone shoving a HTV card in my face will get one back.
    It reads –

To every Coalition booth worker –
    Many years ago your party sent me and a few thousand others to Vietnam as twenty year old conscripts. This exercise in politically motivated futility resulted in the deaths of about two hundred of these men, and the maiming of thousands of others. Their blood is on your hands so long as you represent the Coalition.
    Your party has never apologised. This is the only time in our country’s history that conscripts have been sent in peacetime to occupy a country fighting for independence. Nobody in his right mind would vote for a party with that history.

Ha! Greenpeace activists shimmying up the Bridge and disrupting traffic.

That’ll go down well with the undecideds.

61. Cassie of Sydney

“Spider
    #3011821, posted on May 14, 2019 at 8:17 am

Call me a cynic but I find these type of things in the final days of the campaign very very suspicious.”

Yep..last week it was Phelps who received an “ugly email”…..just like she did last year in October before the by-election. I bet Ali’s email deliberately and conveniently reeked of “islamophobia”…..as if there’s something wrong with that.

62. mh

The world is not going to end after all. Phew!

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez

@AOC
    This is a technique of the GOP, to take dry humor + sarcasm literally and “fact check” it.

Like the “world ending in 12 years” thing, you’d have to have the social intelligence of a sea sponge to think it’s literal.

But the GOP is basically Dwight from The Office so who knows.

63. Cassie of Sydney

I see Scumbers is swamping this site with his tedious drivel. Just fuck off you tedious grub.

64. Notafan

Australian conservatives have online registration for working at booths.

On their website.

65. mh

I’m not seeing a lot of personal growth with Numbers.

66. Diogenes

have been sent in peacetime to occupy protect a country fighting for independence a foreign invasion

FTFY

What Israel Folau should have posted…

Why? He wasn’t posting to a closed circle of Christians, he was evangelising.

Biblical exegesis 101: Determine the context.

Jesus is here speaking to his disciples, those who have been made clean by His word. He invites them to remain in Him.

Those who are not yet clean are a different category of human beings who need to hear a different message, the call to repentance (turning from their sins) and faith in Jesus.

68. Diogenes

and less effective as many will have already voted.

69. Notafan

Labor conscripted men for overseas service in WWII

Crickets.

Numbers Bob had a perfectly legal alternative to being conscripted, which he chose not to exercise.

Still regurgitating the tired, old, discredited Party line, eh, Numbers?

I’m sure quite a few truckies won’t even notice until they’re at Port Botany.

I was once passed by a sheep going 120 km/h.
    It was being closely pursued by a bus.
    Quite amusing, but not for the sheep.

72. a foreign invasion

Vietnamese invading Vietnam – foreign?
    I’ve seen some doublespeak in my time, but that takes the cake.
    The American, Australian, Korean, Thai and Philippine contingents, were by that definition not “foreign”?
    Now that really stretches credibility…..

73. Cassie of Sydney

“mh
    #3011835, posted on May 14, 2019 at 8:34 am
    I’m not seeing a lot of personal growth with Numbers.

He doesn’t need a specialist, he needs a team of specialists. A team of Swiss psychologists and psychiatrists.”

Agree….that’s what I wrote the other day…..but not Switzerland…..he needs to go to Vienna…where Freud trained….and he needs a team of sexologists….to explain to him the difference between a vagina and a vulva.

74. pete m

He also made clear, “follow my commands”. It is not just about free love.

My command is this: Love each other as I have loved you.

Numbers – Israel Folau was doing exactly what Jesus commanded.
    He was warning that if you keep on rebelling against God you will go to Hell.
    Saving people from a terrible fate is a loving act.

76. bespoke

Sinc, The alleged agreement by 1735099 has violated several times.

Open borders inching shut:

Micron, previously a staunch advocate of open borders, now suggests the Schengen Treaty could be renegotiated to allow individual EU countries to maintain their national borders in the face of the irregular migrant crisis.

Out of one side of the mouth comes an instruction to love, and the other a rehearsal for a rudeness.

Remember, the people at the polling booths, regardless of political persuasion, are your neighbours.

1735099

#3011824, posted on May 14, 2019 at 8:21 am

What Israel Folau should have posted

That’s it big white fella.
    You tell the brown man what he should think and say.
    If needs be, forcibly convert him to your particular brand of Christo-Communism.

If there’s a kangaroo in your car you’re surely entitled to hit it in self defence.

81. Diogenes

Vietnamese invading Vietnam – foreign?

YES you dolt.
    1. The ethnicity of the invader does not matter.
    2. Both Vietnams were recognised as different countries, eventhough North Vietnam may not have formally recognised by Australia, in many it ways it was – my passport had a big red stamp on it “Not valid for travel to North Vietnam” – if NVN was not a country why the stamp ?
    3. Therefore different country = foreign.

82. Up The Workers!

It’s not only the pre-polling places where the urgers, blowers and “How-to-Voters” are haranguing the local populace.

At boneyards, crematoriums and cemeteries around the nation in this last week before polling day, A.L.P. “Red Shirts” are busily handing out their “How-to-Vote-Early-and-Often” cards to their maggoty regulars, seeking their vote for “Sadie The Cleaning Lady’s” little boy, Billy.

They reckon their boy is a ‘dead cert’ to win.

Put the Bonker in the Big Chair!

That’s a point that’s usually overlooked – even after the evil Debbil debbil Americans and their running dogs had gone home, the North Vietnamese violated the Paris Peace Accords, and launched a conventional invasion.

84. Geriatric Mayfly

The sheeted dead, did squeak and gibber in the streets.

Federal election 2019: YouGov poll shows backlash to anti-Adani convoy
    Renee Viellaris, federal political editor, The Courier-Mail
    May 14, 2019 12:00am

THE Greens have been whacked by a Bob Brown backlash after Queensland voters were left repelled by their anti-Adani convoy.

An exclusive YouGov Galaxy poll reveals more than one-third of voters are now less likely to vote Green because of the blow-in protesters trying to stop Queenslanders from getting much-needed jobs.

Barcaldine forgotten by Labor as Adani mine jobs go begging
    Michael Madigan, The Courier-Mail
    May 14, 2019 12:00am

BARCALDINE has literally paved the road to the Adani mine and, five years later, the western Queensland town that gave birth to the Australian Labor Party is still waiting for the multimillion-dollar payday Adani represents.

As Queensland’s Labor Government holds off on approving the proposal and their southern federal colleagues denigrate its prospects, the town that created the ALP – but is now a conservative stronghold – struggles to survive a cruel drought and serious economic decline.

87. Top Ender

Notice the link between this:

Ten people have been arrested after Greenpeace climate activists abseiled off Sydney Harbour Bridge in harnesses demanding action on climate change, causing havoc for commuters getting to work by ferry.

Six Greenpeace activists scaled the bridge and abseiled from positions underneath a public walkway on the western side of the bridge.

They unfurled banners which read “100% renewables” and demanded the major political parties declare a “climate emergency”.

Three people are still hanging off the bridge but have lost their banners and are instead holding up pieces of paper.

“Police have arrested 10 people and continue with an operation on the Sydney Harbour Bridge, after a group of protesters were detected by security officers earlier today,” a statement from NSW Police read.

and this:

These people are idiots.

Doris Kappelhoff has kicked the bucket.

89. Ƶĩppʯ (ȊꞪꞨV)

just cut them down

Greenpeace activists scale Harbour Bridge, demand climate action
    The Daily Telegraph
    11 minutes ago

Three Greenpeace activists are hanging from the Sydney Harbour Bridge and 10 others have been arrested as the group demands the government declare a “climate emergency”.

Police say security officers found a group of protesters on the bridge just after 5am and managed to detain several people as others began abseiling down the structure.

Police from Sydney City Police Area Command, the Rescue and Bomb Disposal Unit, Marine Area Command and PolAir attended the scene and began removing protesters from underneath the bridge.

Greenpeace Australia Pacific CEO David Ritter said the protest is a “wake up call to Mr Morrison”.

91. Robber Baron

declare a “climate emergency”

These yard signs and posters are everywhere here in Darebin.

The insanity of the left has never been more evident. NDIS is sure to bankrupt the country with the demand for mental health services from leftists.

92. Geriatric Mayfly

Leigh Lowe
    #3011863, posted on May 14, 2019 at 8:57 am
    Doris Kappelhoff has kicked the bucket.

But over time, she became more than a name above the title: Right down to her cheerful, alliterative stage name, she stood for a time of innocence and G-rated love, a parallel world to her contemporary Marilyn Monroe. The running joke, attributed to both Groucho Marx and actor-composer Oscar Levant, was that they had known Day “before she was a virgin.” (Breitbart)

93. Ƶĩppʯ (ȊꞪꞨV)

Neck and neck as Coalition makes up ground on Labor: Newspoll

imported voteherd paying dividends

94. mh

Gene Wilder, now Doris Day.

It’s all happening.

95. Geriatric Mayfly

Doris Day. Kath Day-Knight. I wonder if by any chance they were related.

96. 1. The ethnicity of the invader does not matter.

Suggest you take that up with surviving Viet Cong.
    I did just that on a visit to Dat Do in 2007, and was told by an ex D445 member the following – “You Australians were good jungle soldiers – much better than the Americans, but you were fighting on the wrong side. If you had been with us, we would have got rid of the Americans years earlier”.
    This bloke was born and bred around Dat Do and had never been to the North.

2. Both Vietnams were recognised as different countries, eventhough North Vietnam may not have formally recognised (sic) by Australia, in many it ways it was – my passport had a big red stamp on it “Not valid for travel to North Vietnam” – if NVN was not a country why the stamp ?

The Australian interpretation of two countries was political – not geographical, just as our participation in the war was political, not strategic.

3. Therefore different country = foreign.

Not a different country – a different political philosophy. The issue was Communism, not ethnicity or geography. The fear of Communism was exploited by Menzies to keep the DLP on side and to garner their preferences. Five hundred Australians died as a consequence.

The sad fact of history that escapes many observers, is that a country (the USA) founded on the concept of rejecting colonial (British) rule, came to the aid of another colonising power (France) as it attempted to restore its brutal conquest of Indo-China.
    The second (American) war with its millions of Vietnamese casualties, tens of thousands of American casualties, and hundreds of Australian casualties, would never had eventuated if the Americans had exercised the same decisions around Indo-China as they did around the Philippines and Dutch Indonesia post WW2.

97. Helen

Greens are spastic with excitement. Last night Julian advised he could beat Josh. Now Holden-car-soy-boy (seriously what beta male would drive an Astra? ) feverish about Higgins.

Wanting me to share – so I am.

These people are idiots.

They’re also communist fanatics, Top Ender. They can’t help themselves because they can’t think rationally; having been thoroughly diseducated, they’re like amoebae who can only react to primitive feelings.

One hopes the politically disconnected (80% of the population) have figured out that Greenfilth fanatics are part of the Liars furniture who must be placated if Shorten takes power.

99. pete m

JC’s new house design released:

you like?.

100. Helen

wake up call to Mr Morrison

At 5.00 am, quite possible. Thanks for the alarm.

Suggest you take that up with surviving Viet Cong.

The use of pidgin English doesn’t make you concocted M.A.S.H inspired fantasy at all convincing.

102. Labor conscripted men for overseas service in WWII

Minor detail….
    Apparently there was a war going on at the time.
    Whereas in 1965 – 72 there wasn’t….

103. Helen

JC’s new house design released:

I hate. It would be like living in Hitlers bunker only worse. All that rough concrete – ghastly. The one hanging off the cliff like a barnacle – you can have that – no way would I want to experience an earth tremor in that sort of set up.

104. bespoke

(seriously what beta male would drive an Astra? )

What about MX5 divers? 🙂

105. Johno

Another day another botty smack for sniffy. Still rabbiting on about a 50 year old event that no-one gives a damn about. Tom just came up with a beauty I havn’t heard before “diseducated”. Sniffy is diseducated.
    Love it.

Electrical fault forces Qantas flight from Indonesia to land in WA
    Shoba Rao, News Corp Australia Network
    an hour ago

A Qantas flight from Indonesia to Sydney has been forced to land in WA after the plane had an electrical fault.

The flight QF44, which took off from Denpasar last night, was forced to land early this morning in Broome.

A Qantas spokesman told News Corp that the plane was forced to divert its route because of the fault.

It made a priority landing as soon as the fault was detected.

mh

#3011871, posted on May 14, 2019 at 9:06 am

Gene Wilder, now Doris Day.

It’s all happening.

Ronnie Barker also dead.

Suggest you take that up with surviving Viet Cong.

Telling the gullible foreigner what he wants to hear…..What’s the Vietnamese term? “Big white chicken?”

Well, she could have been a virgin.
    She spent a lot of time with Rock Hudson.

110. thefrollickingmole

FFS numbers get over yourself.

Its not what happenned 50+ years ago thats deforming your life its how you are choosing to drag it out and finger it over like a leper mauling their sores.

You are mentally unwell.

Any religious types feeling charitable should address prayers for numbers to one of the patron saints of lost causes.

111. Chris

Numbers confuses ‘fighting for independence’ with ‘Invading, indocrinating and murdering’.
    A principled person would self-immolate.

Foxtel signals price hike, cuts to ‘non marquee’ sports after $417m loss

Foxtel has flagged a cut to its spending on “non-marquee sporting content” and another price rise for customers after its controlling shareholder News Corp revealed the pay TV provider made a financial loss of $417 million in 2018.

News Corp was forced to disclose the information to the ASX Monday morning as it had provided the information to potential lenders as it seeks refinancing for Foxtel debt totalling $US1.68 billion.

Media industry sources believe rights to Super Rugby and Wallabies tests, which expire in 2020, and soccer’s A-League competition, could be among the sports affected by Foxtel’s move to rein in spending. A Rugby Australia spokesman said: “We are in the very early stages of constructive discussions with Foxtel.”

Leigh Lowe
    #3011894, posted on May 14, 2019 at 9:24 am

Married Marty. Not a good move.

114. lotocoti

just cut them down

Fascist!
    Help them maximise the duration of their protest with frequent squirts from a fire hose to ensure they’re properly hydrated.

Agriculture Minister Adam Marshall refuses to ban fishing at Walsh Bay
    Danielle Le Messurier, Exclusive, The Daily Telegraph
    May 13, 2019 3:02pm

Agriculture Minister Adam Marshall says he won’t bow to pressure to ban fishing off wharves at Walsh Bay near Barangaroo following outrage from waterfront apartment owners who say anglers are disturbing the peace outside their multimillion-dollar homes.

116. Knuckle Dragger

Jesus Bleeding Christ.

The same shit masquerading as something else, day in day out. Oh well.

Plover Lover,

The Yanks would have been perfectly happy under the Poms. All they wanted was a Parliamentary voice. The US has plenty of faults, but their patriotism is beyond compare. To see it first hand borders on frightening, such is their ardour for their country. Certain pious snivelling faux-superiority merchants should take note.

I may be short on this as well, but as far as I know the French ‘re-conquest’ of Indo-China’ effectively ended in 1954.

And as for exercising the same decisions as they (the Yanks) made in relation to the Philippines and Indonesia – the Yanks had already made an agreement with the Phils re independence well before WW2 broke out. And as for the Dutch East Indies, you must mean letting them become the largest Muslim nation on the planet, rife with squabbling factions and an aggressive territorial policy (Timor and West Papua) 90 minutes’ flight time from our soil.

In horse racing parlance, you are the Sea Biscuit of idiots.

Bwah, ha, ha, ha.
    Raelene Dibley’s reverse-Midas at work.
    “… early stages of constructive discussions …” = “… we are so fucked …”

118. Knuckle Dragger

Jesus Bleeding Christ.

The same shit masquerading as something else, day in day out. Oh well.

Plover Lover,

And as for exercising the same decisions as they (the Yanks) made in relation to the Philippines and Indonesia – the Yanks had already made an agreement with the Phils re independence well before WW2 broke out. And as for the Dutch East Indies, you must mean letting them become the largest Muesli nation on the planet, rife with squabbling factions and an aggressive territorial policy (Timor and West Papua) 90 minutes’ flight time from our soil.

In horse racing parlance, you are the Sea Biscuit of idiots.

I’m with lotocoti.

Let them be the modern equivalent of heads over the portcullis.

Pour encourager les autres.

120. Mak Siccar

In case this hasn’t been posted before, it looks like a good read from Riccardo Bosi.

Good luck in the election RB.

121. Knuckle Dragger

Bloody hell you people. Next you’ll be telling me Roger Moore is dead.

Knuckle Dragger

#3011912, posted on May 14, 2019 at 9:43 am

Bloody hell you people. Next you’ll be telling me Roger Moore is dead.

Not sure about Roger, but if you are good friends with Sonny Bono you better pour yourself a stiff drink and sit down …

Knuckle Dragger
    #3011912, posted on May 14, 2019 at 9:43 am

Mark Twain quote, embellished, but good.

Rugby heading back to being a bespoke sport played by private school chaps who don’t mind a bit of buggery.

$645k of cocaine hidden inside children’s books imported to Sydney from Portugal
    The Daily Telegraph
    16 minutes ago

More than $600,000 worth of cocaine has been found hidden inside children’s books imported to Sydney from Portugal.

126. Shy Ted

Keep your filthy evil hands off our vaginas.
    Who’s going to be the first to say “well, that only leaves two holes”? Not me, I’m a gentleman.

Why would you want to lose money broadcasting a code like rugby union when it is in the process of alienating half of its tiny Australian audience because of political interference by a sponsor?

128. Tintarella di Luna

I think cutting them down would really really help proper hydration

129. Knuckle Dragger

Well I sincerely hope Ho Chi Minh isn’t dead.

If he is, Four Leaf Tayback’s plan to bring him into the country pretending to be his grandfather will be in ruins.

First possible cut Foxtel Rugby and QANTAS electrical fault. Alan not not so Joyce?

131. Shatterzzz

No mention of falling asleep at the wheel when Optus filched the Premier & Champions Leagues .. lotza heads should have rolled!

132. Top Ender

Paul Keating tries to clarify what he said – and makes it worse:

Paul Keating says he was “speaking in code” when he called Australia’s national security chiefs “nutters” at the Labor Party campaign launch and that “dormitory chit chat” picked up by spies was too influential in informing foreign policy.

“I was sort of speaking in code to the foreign policy and security establishment. Of course, we need a national security apparatus,” he told ABC radio this morning.

“What in short-hand I was suggesting (was) that the importance of the security agencies and intelligence should not be the currency of Australia’s foreign policy settings.

“The foreign policy of Australia should be made in relation to the tectonic plates of power in the world.

“That’s what we should be making the foreign policy, and not university dormitory chit chat which the intelligence agencies pick up in their signals intelligence and then that goes into the cabinet room informing the foreign policy.”

Bill Shorten distanced himself last week from Mr Keating’s comments on security services after the former prime minister was attacked by Scott Morrison.

Mr Keating, Labor leader from 1991 to 1996, has long argued for a more independent foreign policy and a shift towards China.

Oz source

Well I sincerely hope Ho Chi Minh isn’t dead.

You bastard, that’s a cup of morning tea, and a new keyboard you owe me.

134. Shy Ted

Crikey, this no eating after 7pm diet is tough. It’s the chips, chocolate, peanuts, cake, eclairs, burgers, pizza, McNuggets, lollies and sausages I miss the most.

135. bespoke

Foxtel would gain market share if it allowed picking individual channels.

136. Tintarella di Luna

Keep your filthy evil hands off our vaginas.

Shy Ted do you know the one about the woman in God’s waiting room listening to screams behind the door marked Heaven?

137. Shy Ted

Last night somebody posted how hysterical The Drum was. So I recorded it. Cos I like a bit of wandering uterus. Benjamin Law was the hostess. A bit of intestinal fortitude got me as far as the intros but not the first topic. A sterling effort on my part.

Drive stake through Dutton’s dark heart’

Paul Keating has called on the voters of Dickson to “drive a political stake” through “mean” Home Affairs Minister Peter Dutton’s political career.

“I joined the Australian Parliament 50 years ago this year. In those 50 years, I’ve never seen any public figure as mean or mean-spirited as Peter Dutton,” he told ABC radio this morning.

“At this election, those electors in Dickson have a chance to drive a political stake through his dark political heart.

“The meanness which informs his view of the world and the country means that with this big apparatus (of Home Affairs) at his hand, you wouldn’t know where his priorities are.”

From the Oz. Paul Keating describing anyone as “mean spirited…”

139. Shy Ted

Don’t know that I do, Tintarella. Do tell. The only one I know is the little girl asking Mummy, “Mummy, can you get pregnant from alan sex?” And Mummy replies, “Of course, dear. Where do you think politicians come from?”

140. mh

Kerry made ‘terrible mistake’ talking with Iranians, but Logan Act probe ‘probably overkill’, Joe Lieberman says

…Last week, President Trump accused Kerry of breaking the law by meeting with Iranian officials last year — and went so far as to say he should be prosecuted under the Logan Act.

“You know John Kerry speaks to them a lot, and John Kerry tells them not to call. That’s a violation of the Logan Act, and frankly he should be prosecuted on that,” Trump told reporters at the White House.

“But my people don’t want to do anything, only the Democrats do that kind of stuff. If it were the opposite way, they’d prosecute him under the Logan Act,” he said.

141. Shatterzzz

Foxtel would gain market share if it allowed picking individual channels.

Agree .. I’ve gone with Kayo Sports .. $25 a month and, basically, the sports only side of Foxtel .. it’s a Telstra run mob .. saves paying for all the stuff you didn’t want.

142. Top Ender

230-year old rock inscription mystery prompts French village to launch a £1,750 competition for anyone who can decipher its baffling message

Easy enough.

It says: “You English bastards keep across your side of the Channel, and stop talking about Crecy and Agincourt all the time while you’re over here. We’re getting Napoleon ready….”

143. max

144. Pedro the Ignorant

Foxtel dropping rugger and w*gball from the Sports channel.

I am devastated. 🙂
    Speaking of sports, sat up last night watching West Indies getting flogged by Bangladesh in the ODI in Ireland (!). The Meekatharra Under 16s could have beaten the current crop of Windies.

How the mighty have fallen.

145. Tintarella di Luna

Well the screaming was getting to her especially as it was coming from behind the door marked Heaven. So she asked the cherub on reception what was going on: oh that? Well thery’re just drilling the holes to attach the angel wings – the woman said well what can I expect if I coose the door marked Hell, the cherub replied oh dear no that’s where sodomite and fornicators go the woman said well that’s the one for me no drilling needed

146. Pedro the Ignorant

Tinta!!!

Too early for off colour jokes!

147. Mother Lode

Electrical fault forces Qantas flight from Indonesia to land in WA

Well, now they have Folau out of the way they can get back to their second line of business.

148. Tintarella di Luna

Pedro not in my world

149. Mother Lode

Bloody hell you people. Next you’ll be telling me Roger Moore is dead.

If he is, I reckon I have seen him get out of tougher scrapes.

Good thing Desmond Llewelyn (the original Q) is still alive and kicking.

Mother Lode
    #3011955, posted on May 14, 2019 at 10:34 am

[Q has blown up a dummy with an explosive pen]

Q : Don’t say it…

James Bond : The writing is on the wall.

Q : Along with the rest of him.

151. Caveman

Tits must have a McDonalds envy.
    First hes doin finance by BigMacs
    Then hes doin foreign relations as China is some sort of customer goin thru a McDrive thru.

I would luv to hear him say he has a McBeef with the top end of town.

152. “max
    #3011947, posted on May 14, 2019 at 10:27 am
    Doris didn’t want a funeral or a grave marker. Spent her final years saying she’d never found a human to match the loyalty of animals. Sounds like a lot of disappointment and a bit of anger there. Went out with a big ‘Fuck you all.’”

Well…she was right about animals…I remember reading that she owned and ran a hotel in Carmel California which welcomed people and their animals.

An interesting aside about Doris…her son Terry Melcher was a very well known record producer in California in the late 60’s and 70’s……in late 1968 Melcher rejected a record deal for Charles Manson. At the time Melcher was living with Candice Bergen…his girlfriend, in a big house on Cielo Drive….they moved out and then Polanski and Sharon Tate moved in early 1969…..we all know what happened after…there is some speculation that Manson sent his murderous goons to Cielo Drive thinking that Melcher and Bergen were still living in the house.

153. Elizabeth (Lizzie) Beare

umm, I thought that much was obvious. They were using ‘vagina’ as a shorthand for this.
    I was simply pointing out they were using the wrong apparatus. 🙂

Babies are actually conceived and cocooned till birth in other parts of a woman, parts that no transgendering surgeon can possibly hope to functionally imitate.

Paul Keating, national socialist:

“What keeps us together as a society is we are all members of the Australian family.”

Listen, dickhead: I’m a member of my blood family. I’m not a member of the “Australian family.”
    ——-
    In Paul Keating says Peter Dutton is the ‘meanest’ person in Australian politics in 50 years.
    And yet Peter Dutton’s wife hasn’t sprinted to get away from his abuse.

155. Elizabeth (Lizzie) Beare

umm. I thought that much was obvious. They were stupidly using the vag word as a shorthand.

I was merely pointing out that babies are conceived and nurtured within those parts of a woman that no transgendering surgeon could possibly hope to functionally replicate.

156. Tintarella di Luna

She would have been clearer if she’d said “ keep your hands off my ovaries”

Doris Day was the perfect balance between wholesomeness and sexual allure.
    I remember seeing re-runs of her movies as a boy and thinking she was gorgeous.

I forget which one of her several films with Rock Hudson it is, but in one of them he ‘acts’ the gay man to put off her advances. LOL.

158. Elizabeth (Lizzie) Beare

Interesting back story on Hellter Skelter there, Cassie.

And Tinta, that was a funny story, Pedro just doesn’t understanding how women talk girl business any time of day or night. You should hear me and my friends at morning coffee going on about childbirth and its ins and outs, including regretting at that time the night of passion nine months before.

These things are bread and butter to us! 🙂

159. John Constantine

It seems keatings priority is with whatever foreign power wants to pay him money.

Comrade Maaaates.

pete m
    #3011876, posted on May 14, 2019 at 9:12 am
    JC’s new house design released:

you like?.

As a weekender. Sure.

That Melcher story is new to me. The events of ‘69 came thick and fast, so much happened that year.

Annita Keating was told she was surplus to requirements at a dinner party.

How’s that for meanness, Paul?

Good old YouTube … I found that clip. Pillow Talk … from 1:36:

163. jo

Does the RU cancelling Israel Folou’s contract mean he can play for any other countries team? Can’t have it both ways.

calli

#3011977, posted on May 14, 2019 at 11:01 am

Annita Keating was told she was surplus to requirements at a dinner party.

How’s that for meanness, Paul?

C.L.

#3011978, posted on May 14, 2019 at 11:01 am

Segue?

165. Elizabeth (Lizzie) Beare

To women who for various reasons have had no children – and three of my excellent friends are in that category – I also say take heart from the fact that having children is like eating broccoli ice-cream.

It doesn’t always taste so great. Once you are in it, you are in it for life, and there are days when you wish you’d never become that person called a mother, because one Mother’s Day a year is just not enough reward for the heartache and pain as well as the indubitable love and elation that comes with that territory.

There ya go, Cassie. Have fun on Saturday.

Phelps’ dopey posters reminded me of this classic.

He’s eligible to play for Tonga after a waiting period.

168. Des Deskperson

‘I’ve never seen any public figure as mean or mean-spirited as Peter Dutton,’

Wot, meaner than his ‘Pak’, Suharto, a ‘public figure’ with a c. one million body count??

169. Elizabeth (Lizzie) Beare

Seems aging screen goddesses do that. Same as Bridget Bardot.

170. notafan

Minor detail….
    Apparently there was a war going on at the time.
    Whereas in 1965 – 72 there wasn’t….

yes there was

Vietnamese Catholics and others who did not wish to live under the yoke of Communism had as much right to freedom as anyone else in South East Asia,

communism and fascism are just two sides to the same totalitarian coin

Whoever you may have spoken to in Vietnam it clearly was no-one like my beautiful devout Catholic former colleague who risked his life to save the lives of many others after the fall of Vietnam, (a teacher, a Catholic he was a marked man) after first being forced from his home in Hanoi to South Vietnam, three years in a camp in the Philippines with makeshift rice bags tents for a home before being accepted to migrate to Australia, arriving here in a pair of shorts, a wife and a new baby in a cardboard box, he forced his way in nowhere.

Vietnamese Catholics are not real humans in your seagull eyes.

It is always all about you, you, you, you.

171. Dr Faustus

Good job. Foxtel will be gagging for the opportunity to pay absolutely top dollar to pick up a football code, with a national audience of 40,000 masochistic diehards, that gets bundled out of its World Cup in the Quarters due to self-inflicted harm.

172. “notafan
    #3011990, posted on May 14, 2019 at 11:13 am”

Notafan…I wouldn’t engage with the lobotomised grub.

173. Today would be a good day for armed forces and police marksmen to get in some target practice by shooting vermin crawling all over the Harbour Bridge.

Better still, just leave them up there.

I’m guessing Greenpeace won’t be getting the bill for all the delays and disruption. But a conservative speaker is billed for the police that are required because of leftist terrorism and violence.
    All thanks to the spineless, libertyphobic, wankstains of the LNP.

174. Elizabeth (Lizzie) Beare

Foxtel would gain market share if it allowed picking individual channels.

They’d never break even if they did. We pay for so much Foxtel dross to get the few channels we want.

175. notafan

Anyone still interested in helping out on 18 May here is the link to the
    Australian Conservatives site.

I have my A frame , my tshirt, hat and HTF cards all dropped off by a very nice gentleman volunteer.

Australian Conservatives website

177. Elizabeth (Lizzie) Beare

I’m still chasing up someone who can give me my how-to-vote handouts; I can pick them up if necessary. Just have to find the appropriate contact. The Aust Cons website contact turned out to be incorrect.

178. max

Youngish bloke I know set off on a tour of Japan and Europe a few months ago with his band. I can’t stand their music but they seem to do OK.

Most of their time was spent in Netherlands, France and Germany.

When he came back, the thing he talked about most was visiting Notre Dame and the stained glass windows. Took lots of photos.

The band hit it off with a young French bloke who returned to Australia with them and who just went back to France. This French bloke caused a bit of consternation in his social circle of young Melbourne lefties by not being very enthusiastic about Mahomedans. He would talk about them flooding the streets and African beggars with their aggressive and annoying habits.

Anyway, back to the young fella I know. He’s mentioned a couple of times that he’s thinking about becoming a Christian. Doesn’t know anything about it though he seems to be reading a few things online. I’m not sure what caused this but my guess is that it was the fire in Notre Dame. He really was taken by the beauty of the stained glass there and I think he has been shocked by its destruction. Put that together with the hatred of Christians that is everywhere apparent and it seems to have shaken him out of his – what – complacency – perhaps not the right word.

There is hope yet for the world.

179. mh

Hollywood wimmin are promoting the idea of a sex strike in Georgia to protest the ‘Heartbeat’ bill.

So when they post tweets like ‘Keep your filthy evil hands off our vaginas’ they are actually saying men are not allowed to have sexual contact with them.

I think I have that right, but then I still refer to ‘vag’ so I’m on shaky ground.

That’s what’s usually overlooked, isn’t it? There was only ever one model of Government for an independent Vietnam – a Communist dictatorship. Any rival Nationalists were murdered, betrayed to the French or purged after 1954.

181. notafan

You are right Cassie

Nevertheless

most of the armchair experts on Vietnam I meet never ever engage with the people it affected the most, not interested.

Anh Do touches a little on his parent’s story in his autobiography

His mother was a novice, her convent closed and the nuns throuwn into the street, met her husband when he saved her from the secret police when she was on a train trying to sell goods to support her family. His father’s bravery faced with pirates threatening to throw his infant son overboard.

I actually wrote to Anh asking for him to write a full biography for his parents.

These are the stories we never hear. Just the poor poor pitiful mes

Elizabeth (Lizzie) Beare

#3012000, posted on May 14, 2019 at 11:18 am

Foxtel would gain market share if it allowed picking individual channels.

I think if they allowed “pick and mix” with a minimum monthly fee, they would do better.
    The assumption is that everyone who watches golf also loves tennis and Rugger, and, if you are interested in cooking shows it follows that you will want to watch five year old home renovation shows.
    Of course, the “pick and mix” exposes the rubbish decisions of TV execs within each genre, so …

183. notafan

What those mentally ugly women do is utterly denigrate the nature of marriage and the notion of love between a man and a woman.

They will reap what they sow.

184. Elizabeth (Lizzie) Beare

Influencers!
    Vote winners!

Zali and Kerryn will be ecstatic.

185. Dr Faustus

Not exactly a harbinger of electoral success.

186. “Leigh Lowe
    #3012002, posted on May 14, 2019 at 11:19 am

If they were still going around and events hadn’t intervened, Charlie and Jim Jones would be running the Californian Dimocrats today.”

Absolutely….and back in the 1970s Jim Jones had a lot of friends in the Demrat party in San Fran. Harvey Milk and Jim Jones were great buddies.

Read Cult City….brilliant expose on San Fran, Jones, Milk and all the rest.

Polling stations are noticeably more frantic than they were ten or twenty years ago.
    Used to be a couple of oldies in straw hats handing out how-tos.
    Now it’s a circus of cadres, garish signage and busyness. A lot of elderly and even introverted people must find the whole thing extremely off-putting.

Richard Ferguson
    39 MINUTES AGO | 11.05am
    Shorten doubles down on franking credits

Bill Shorten has doubled down on his franking credit reforms while campaigning in the Tasmanian seat of Braddon, after The Australian revealed its incumbent Labor MP Justine Keay went to the opposition frontbench with her electorate’s concerns over the proposal.

“It’s a reform which not everyone likes. But what good is a government in this country if it’s not willing to make the big decisions?” the Opposition Leader said today.

“This is a hard reform. But I tell you what – doesn’t it move your hearts when you hear that pensioners in Australia can’t afford to go to the dentist?

Given that the Oz revealed just how many investment properties Whinging William’s front bench owned, “Sheer” and hypocrisy” are words that spring to mind.

189. notafan

Dr Faustus

one person claiming difficulties in not evidence of anything

the process of signing up online is very efficient as has been the follow up

all by unpaid volunteers.

Riccardo Bosi in NSW is ex army as is the lead candidate in Victoria ex SAS soldier Kevin Bailey

I just can’t equate either of those gentlemen with a sloppy process.

190. notafan

You are right CL

I handed out for the Labor party several times around 20 odd years ago always very laid back and low key,

now the Labor and Green parties have themselves plus a couple of get up and other ‘non political’ party types making sure there is a gauntlet and you have to run it.

191. dover_beach

John 15:9-17

Does your ‘morning crew’ lack the moral courage to inform, what might be an audience ignorant of God’s commands, just what those commands are so that they can enter into and remain in Christ’s love?

192. Any rival Nationalists were murdered, betrayed to the French or purged after 1954.

The history of conflict in Vietnam doesn’t begin in 1954.

If you go back a bit further, before the hard liners took over, there was always a strong chance that a different form of Vietnamese nationalism (modelled on the American Declaration of Independence) could have evolved.

Ho wrote to Henry Truman a number of times in 1946, but his letters were studiously ignored.

Ho was prepared to accept independence within a French commonwealth, but the French rejected that out of hand. In the end, the Americans supported the French, because they let their obsessive fear of Communism prevail over common sense and skilful diplomacy. McCarthyism was at its height from 1950 until 1954.

Archimedes Patti, director of OSS in 1945, in “Why Vietnam”, 1980, wrote (page 4) : Ho who was a master of understated diplomacy…This statement would be very meaningful to the letter Trương handed to Obama. One would ask why Ho Chi Minh had sent all together 8 letters in those 2 years 1945 and 1946 to President Truman, but Ho received no answer including this one. This puzzle is one of many more that have led misconception about Ho Chi Minh’s attitude toward the United State. His use of the U.S. Declaration of Independence was a way of persuasion, not inspiration.

193. Steve trickler

I’d like to buy this guy a beer.

John Monash and The Australian Corps.

194. thefrollickingmole

notafan

One you might like from an old Viet lady.

She took off with a handful of family members on a boat but before she left she chucked a bunch of eels in the bottom of the boat.
    Whenever pirates were suspected (an enormous amount of r****ng & killing went on) to be approaching a couple of eels were killed and the blood smeared over their clothes & faces and they looked as roughed up and beaten as possible.

It worked, the pirates got close enough to see the blood and assumed all the good ra***ng and pillaging had already been done and left them alone.

She and her family then became market garden millionaires in Australia.

195. Arky

Animals are loyal because they know if they betray you, they’re dead.

196. notafan

Speaking of Charles Manson, for those looking for something on Netflix

have been watching various things on Netflx, Longmire btw is so so as a cop series, watched all of season one of Mindhunter, will be looking out for season two, minor flaws (they needed sex scenes, really?) and have about finished John Grisham’s Innocent Man about two notorious 1980s murders in Ada Oklahoma

Police corruption is an interesting thing.

The Falls, set in Belfast is also not bad.

197. notafan

Smart lady moly great to hear she did well here.

She clearly had the message back that the pirates were after so many easy pickings, poor people having to make terrible choices.

From the Wussia-insane media, not one peep of criticism of Paul Keating’s collusion with China – the malevolent foreign power for whom he now obediently works (for cold hard cash).

199. Ubique

“Are you worried about someone who has got their sixth investment property, or complains about franking credits sicking on the back deck of their yacht?

So speaks Mr Moneybags Electricity Bill Shorten, reportedly with a net worth of $61m, who has spent most of his life hobnobbing with lefty plutocrats.

200. thefrollickingmole

Bill will be writing that cheque to the tax department any day now

Net Worth
    There are many variations of net worth for the Labor Party leader. a lot of sources suggest that his current net worth is under review but you would still find a couple of speculations that it is within the league of $2.4 million and as high as $61 million. Whichever may be the case, Bill Shorten currently has a membership of Richest Celebrities and Politicians.

Our politicians certainly seem to do very well out of their service to the nation.

And no doubt even better out of office when the favours are called in and the sinecures follow.

202. areff

which is illegal. HTV handers-out are specifically banned from preaching. If you’re not in Victoria, call the cops. If you’re in Victoria, don’t bother.

203. Bushkid

Twostix
    #3011781, posted on May 14, 2019 at 6:54 am

Exactly, Twostix. Even here in our sleepy little town there is usually a blot of red-shirted ALP goons – sorry ALP supporters – crowding the path, milling around, blocking the access, sneering and leering as all who decline their offer of HTV cards. We rarely see a greens pusher though. Unless I’m going to be away on polling day, I still prefer to attend the local booth, just so I can sneer in return at the ALP/greens card-pushers, and loudly and deliberately greet and take cards from the more sensible of the ones on offer.

204. duncanm

Tel
    #3011797, posted on May 14, 2019 at 7:19 am
    Keep your filthy evil hands off our vaginas.

which is of course the well-recognised irony. A sex strike will remove the requirement for abortions.

205. Dr Faustus

“Are you worried about someone who has got their sixth investment property…

Carefully curated number, that “sixth“.
    Plenty of ALP MP’s have investment properties, several have several, some have their fourth and fifth – but none have their sixth.

206. duncanm

I propose a new protocol for greenies hanging off structures.

Remove their signage, then spend the next 24 hours working out how to safely remove them. These things take time, and I’m sure they’ll be ok hanging under the bridge for a while.

207. Shy Ted

You should go on that cruise, Pedro. Surprising number of single ladies as a rule. If that nice young lady wants to pay for you to meet single wymmyns, who are you to refuse?

208. Lizzie:

If we could pick our own channels, then the loss making ones would fall by the wayside.
    What a business proposition – force your customers to buy crap that they don’t want, and if the crap channels closed due to lack of sales, the money saved would go to making the good ones better.

209. Dr Faustus

I just can’t equate either of those gentlemen with a sloppy process.

No indeed, nota.

But yet there it is:

The Aust Cons website contact turned out to be incorrect.

Yes volunteers, yes doing the best with as little as possible.
    But yes sloppy process.

210. Eyrie

“just cut them down”
    Snipers!

211. Atoms for Peace

How to clear iconic buildings of pesky demonstrators .

‘ Unless you vacate the building immediately, your organization’s charitable status will be revoked ”

You have 10 minutes

212. notafan

I don’t see the logic there Winston Smith

I would assume that is everyone has different tastes, thus everyone is paying , in part, for something they don’t want or use, surely Foxtel would drop very ow rating channels, rather than waste their profit margins on running them?

213. Des Deskperson

About religion in Vietnam, in Da Nang, the Catholic Cathedral – a classic of French colonial clerical architecture like a beautiful pink wedding cake in the heart of the CBD – is thronged during the day, lit up like the Eiffel Tower at night and so packed during Sunday masses by people of all ages and economic status that the have to set up portable pews in the grounds.

I don’t believer one minute that the Communist Party of Vietnam likes this at all. I’m sure the Cathedral is under surveillance and from time to time – though not, as far as I am aware, in Da Nang – the authorities persecute some cleric who has gotten too ‘uppity’.

On the other hand, any widespread attempt to suppress Catholicism would involve a level of trouble, expense and social and economic disruotiot that the authorities – sensibly – are unwilling to risk.

In any case, my impression is that the State is rather more rattled by the resurgence of Buddhism, given the number of pagodas going up and the number of Buddhist monks and nuns you now see on the street. A story going around Da Nang – which may be apocryphal but which is certainly relished by many residents – is how the Party sent out members to infiltrate pagodas – and they all converted to Buddhism.

214. DrBeauGan

areff
    #3012055, posted on May 14, 2019 at 12:41 pm
    Paging Mr Downer, paging Alexander Downer….

M0nty won’t like that. .😇

215. notafan

Yes volunteers, yes doing the best with as little as possible.
    But yes sloppy process.

No it is not a sloppy process

‘website contact was incorrect’
    that is the problem right there

There is no ‘website contact’ that is not the process.

If you are a member of AC you get set a link with a list of booths in your seat with available time slots, you put your name in the time slot then someone from AS contacts you to confirm your details and arrange to deliver your materials..

Like I said ancedote is not evidence of sloppy process.

“Hi X

it’s less than 3 weeks to election day and there’s a high-priority polling booth near you. Can you help us on that booth?

Login to https://www.kevins.army to claim a timeslot

No doubt NSW is the same process.

216. areff

I pay Foxtel for Sky News, the footy, APAC and Aussie Gold Hunters.

If I miss the game on the weekend, it might be re-broadcast once in the next week.

What I often get, though, is women’s footy.

That said, it would be a pity if the person who writes the movie blurbs on the Foxtel programme guide lost his or her job. They’re classics, these thumbnails. I was so taken by the recent summary of Bridge on the River Kwai I transcribed it in full:

“In 1942, the Japanese Army had captured more than 200,000 Allied prisoners of war and need a supply route to its frontline troops in Burma.”

The weirdness of the movie summaries almost justifies Foxtel’s ripoff prices and endless ads.

217. notafan

I linked something recently that clearly indicates that in rural areas there is suppression of Catholicism.

I’ll see if I can find it again.

218. notafan

It was the first such Mass to be held in Nghia Lo deanery since local parishes were established 100 years ago.
    “It was a completely new experience for me,” Joseph Lam Van Hung, 70, told ucanews.com after the event, adding he had never seen as many priests concelebrate a Mass like that before.
    Hung, who is from Vinh Quang parish, said the Mass brought “great comfort to local people who have suffered constant persecution.”
    He said his family were among 11 Catholic families who moved to the area from famine-hit Thai Binh province in 1900. French missionaries led them in building the church in 1936.
    Many Catholics were publicly denounced by the communists as landlords and killed or imprisoned from 1953-64. Local Catholics had no resident priest for 40 years after the last one was jailed in 1964.
    He said they have suffered various religious restrictions imposed by the government. The parish with 3,600 Catholics still has no resident priests.

219. Percy Popinjay

One week until I tell foxtel to go and take a running jump.

On TV executives, I still haven’t forgotten this legendary exchange:

Tom or LL(?): “TV executives are among the stupidest people to have existed in human history.”
    HB Bear: Thus giving them unique insight into their audience.”

areff

#3012055, posted on May 14, 2019 at 12:41 pm

Paging Mr Downer, paging Alexander Downer….

Hilarious!
    Even during the soft-cock interview with Blot it was obvious he was shitting housebricks.
    First thing on his agenda is to convince Canberra to fund his legals and, to do that, he would have to show he was on official business.
    No doubt Foreign Affairies will pick up the tab, but it would be great if Senate Estimates could run the ruler over what exactly that Gummint business was.
    No doubt he thought he could ingratiate himself with Club Clinton and that setting up a minor player in the losing campaign would enable him to catch some crumbs from the syndicate’s table.
    Oops.

221. John Comnenus

My tip re Downer, he will claim diplomatic immunity and he will never visit the USA again. Aust Govt will run cover for him.

222. zyconcoclast

M0nty won’t like that. .😇

Waiting for: breaking ag barr appoints us attorney investigate Hiallary Clinton

he will claim diplomatic immunity

Sorry about the length of that video.

Some excellent memories in 12 minutes though. 😄

225. Pete of Perth

Just had a milkshake in Freo… Horror of horrors it came with a plastic straw. I expect to be lynched by hippies as I leave the store.