Monday Forum: May 13, 2019

3,232 Responses to Monday Forum: May 13, 2019

1. Frank

That’s true, but the doctor will make a decision one way or another, the basis of which is algorithms and memory. Both of these are areas where people cannot compete with computers. So if the answer comes from the latter at least it has the benefit of being more correct algorithmically–whatever that means given the present state of knowledge. Whether it is the right decision is a crap shoot by the sounds of it, but it is at the moment too.

2. Herodotus

Have Greenpeace been billed yet for their disruption to Sydney Harbour Bridge traffic and police attendance?

3. If millennials are truly influenced by social media, we can take this as proof of IQ going down.

4. Infidel Tiger

I see Zali is now a clear bookie favourite in Warringah.

5. John Constantine

Their are small australian medical efficiency stocks looking at trimming the edges of the existing system instead of replacing it.

If the chicom medbots can get 265 million patients, poor bankrupt australia will end up renting chicom ‘Dr Skynet’ from the Tyrant.

6. bespoke

Dave in Marybrook
    #3012364, posted on May 14, 2019 at 7:59 pm
    There’s vines, and then there’s vines.
    Two metre vines, 3.3 metre rows?
    Spurs, I take it? Two bud, or Casselated 4 +2?
    Something chunky, like Cab Sauv?
    Famous Marybrook red dirt, dry grown?

Some duel codon 1 metre high, row width irrelevant, two nodes and mixed verity’s.

7. DrBeauGan

The higher the intelligence the less likely conceptual slips will occur so I don’t buy you don’t need brains argument.

Up to about IQ 130 maybe. Past that, they wouldn’t find the work interesting.

I buy the psychopath argument.

8. vlad

In tribute to the late, great Doris Day.

I count only seven cuts once the musical number proper begins. She covers a lot of ground in between each edit. And note the moment when she’s sitting cross-legged and stands up – while singing – without the use of her hands. We’ll never see the like of her again.

9. Peter Castieau

Day 17 of the campaign and day 13 of pre-poll.

I started out very early walking our beautiful rescue dog Ying. On our usual route I noticed that Fraser Annings coreflute from the pedestrian overpass at the Warwick train station has been removed.

I checked the email and had confirmation from John (not his real name) that he has completed 2 more high priority maps in the Perth CBD and he will hopefully complete 2 more today and tonight! Magnificent.

Alan in Tangney has had more flyers delivered and he will complete more maps this week. Dan has completed a massive part of Nedlands, Crawley, Dalkeith and Peppy Grove and will now smash out the rest around his neighborhood. Thats 1,600 flyers in the last 3 weeks! Great job.

I arrived at the Joondalup booth and was good to go for bouncedown. Once I’d set up though there was controversy surrounding the ALP’s election material that was left in the polling booth overnight. The ALP had not arrived in time for the 8.30am start!

I am told convention is should this happen, is that the material is confiscated and hidden inside the booth with the only opportunity for retrieval being the following morning. However in this instance the staff from the AEC put the ALP’s material just outside the exit door.

The ALP did not turn up until 8.50am. They are outnumbered by the Liberal party on this booth 3 to 1. They are disorganised and have admitted to me that they think they will lose.

I got the tip from the wonderful Diana from the Liberal party that Senator Michaelia Cash was coming to the booth. I raced up to the lunch bar, grabbed a sausage roll and when I got back, look who was here!

We had a great chat as I know her uncle from my 30 years in the car business and I told her that the ALP were down in the mouth, and I thought the Liberal party were going to win. She was kind enough to have a selfie and insisted that I say hello to Senator Bernardi.

At midday Jonathan, Matt and I spoke on a conference call with Senator Bernardi. Jonathan gave a excellent summary of the WA campaign. Matt spoke too. Cory asked me whether or not Senator Cash had asked for the selfie or the other way around? I asked…..

EXCLUSIVE BREAKING NEWS: I spoke today to Clives FB Party second senate candidate and he told me about an incident at the Cockburn pre-poll centre some days ago. It allegedly involved volunteers from the GAP (Rod Culleton circus) and Labor. Quite nasty and some fisticuffs so it goes. Whatever the truth might be, as a result of what happened, there are now no volunteers allowed at the Cockburn pre-poll by order of centre management of the shopping centre leased by the AEC.

He also said that Anne Aly and Senator Hanson had words in Wanneroo this morning at pre-poll. What to make of that? I haven’t heard anything on the news.

We did well today at Joondalup. It was very busy and almost as busy as yesterday. I was solo. I cant do this booth properly solo.

This Saturday its polling day. Can you help on polling day? Please respond if you can.

The cars of the day were this gunmetal grey Mustang, an electric blue Kia Stinger and this lovely Audi A3 coupe.

Percy (the Prius) has travelled 2025kms so far on the campaign.

Lamb Rogan Josh for dinner.

10. vlad

Make that six cuts. Whatever, the point stands.

11. candy

“Nah,” he said, “I know what I am doing and I am very good without the need for that.” Confident bastard.

I reckon if a surgeon does not have that annoying overbearing confidence it might be worrisome. Like a person who invests your money, if they don’t have confidence in their advice, best avoid them. If they don’t believe in themselves don’t let them meddle in your life, literally.

I see Zali is now a clear bookie favourite in Warringah.

Look, he shouldn’t have hung around after he lost the leadership. In fact all PMs should be executed the moment they lose an erection or the vote party room.

Wouldn’t that be a good idea. Sure you can go for the big job, but your life ‘permanently” ended the moment you’re not the PM. That would clear all the riff raff, I reckon.

13. Mitch M.

It’s not a crap shoot, most of the time they get it right.

The irony on display is that some here think you don’t need to be smart to be a doctor because those some are ignorant about how intelligence is associated with a range of other behaviors that are beneficial in many professions. Not very smart.

14. Infidel Tiger

Part of me is looking forward to the ALP wiping out the majority of the wealth of the doctors wife/spiv demographic.

The leopard eats them last only because they taste awful.

16. candy

I doubt Scott Morrison would feel his life has ended if he loses, which would be by a whisker, by the looks of things. Why should he not try again?

17. Crossie

I see Zali is now a clear bookie favourite in Warringah.

I don’t think anyone believes these polls except media people. Lunchtime discussion at work today was about this subjects and the green and Labor supporters all agreed that polls are unreliable especially after the recent NSW state election where Gladys was supposedly losing according to polls yet she won handily.

18. dover_beach

Hard to credit the intelligence of anyone worried about a plastic wrapper at a depth of 11km where the pressure is enormous, along a trench that is a subduction zone.

What a time to be alive.

Candy

“permanently ended” means execution. They should be executed to moment they aren’t PM.

20. Frank

Mitch M.

Assuming your doctor is any good then they are going to sell you medicine. It involves giving you the/an answer that the current thinking (settled science anyone) suggests. There is no irony in recognising that this is not always going to be the correct answer. But you’re no doubt smart enough to recognise that.

Do you think humans can outperform machines when it comes to memory and executing algorithms?

21. Ƶĩppʯ (ȊꞪꞨV)

US officials have issued a list of $300bn worth of Chinese goods earmarked for further tariff hikes as the bitter trade war between the two countries showed no sign of abating.

22. candy

I see Zali is now a clear bookie favourite in Warringah.

Probably she is. Climate change is huge with the young demographics and the older wealthy demographics who can afford to follow a particular interest as they can’t be impacted financially by bills.
    ie, Wentworth and Warringah, and similar suburbs in other states.

23. Armadillo

I’m not adverse to that, per se.

I’m still pondering the brain surgeon discussion bit. Why do these dudes even exist?

Who the hell do they operate on? They did a pretty fucked up job if Stephen Hawkin is the answer.

24. Crossie

Infidel Tiger
    #3012402, posted on May 14, 2019 at 8:24 pm

Doctors’ wives have been on the nose with most of the electorate for a while now but the doctors themselves are about to outdo them.

Every single bad idea from the American left makes its way to the Australian left.

Wherever a car parks too close to a crosswalk, a fire hydrant is blocked, or a bike lane is intruded upon, code enforcing vigilantes are quick to snap a photo and tag the relevant local department demanding action be taken against the offending motorist.

Soon enough these bike lane Batmen might get to play police for real under a proposed pilot program that would give citizens the ability to ticket each other for parking violations.

Last week, D.C. City Councilmember Charles Allen introduced a new Vision Zero omnibus traffic safety bill that adopts the ambitious goal of eliminating traffic fatalities in the District.

In 2018, 34 people died on the District’s roadways, including 15 pedestrians, eight motorcyclists, seven people in cars, three bicyclists, and one scooter rider, according to data parsed by DCist.

In order to bring that number down to zero, Allen’s bill would change up road rules to lower speed limits, create more four-way stop signs, ban right-on-red turns, and increase penalties for those found violating any of these rules.

More broadly, Allen’s bill would commit the city to reduce car trips to just 25 percent of all commuter trips by 2032, down from 39 percent in 2017, according to Census Bureau data.

Every single one.

26. Oh come on

Nigel Farage could show Ben Shapiro a few things about dealing with an aggressive interrogator.

27. Cassie of Sydney

“Infidel Tiger
    #3012402, posted on May 14, 2019 at 8:24 pm

Well won’t that be nice…however I’m not looking forward to the people that the ALP will wipe out before they get to the doctor’s and lawyers wives in Wentworth and Warringah.

28. Fleeced

I see Zali is now a clear bookie favourite in Warringah.

Meaningless. People outside of the seat don’t have a clue and skew the betting (and are more likely anti-Abbott).

29. vr

Shapiro is not that impressive. He should move away from debating college students.

30. DrBeauGan

Northcote Parkinson.suggested this. One of his criteria for a good prime minister was patriotism; a willingness to die for his country when his term was up.

31. Crossie

Candy
    #3012411, posted on May 14, 2019 at 8:37 pm
    I see Zali is now a clear bookie favourite in Warringah.

ie, Wentworth and Warringah, and similar suburbs in other states.

If that turns out to be the case Gladys should stop with road upgrades in those electorates and advise them to get around with push bikes, for the Earth’s sake of course. They should have no need for the heavy weight 4WD petrol guzzlers that are hard on road surfaces, the little hybrids should do them.

32. Armadillo

I’d assume if you were a brain surgeon, your skills would be pretty much sought after.

It’s not like you go to a pub and people rave about their brain surgeon. More likely they are worried about the bairmaid giving them herpes.

33. Black Ball

Today all AFL CEOs have watched an advance screening of a documentary about Adam Goodes. It wasn’t sanctioned by the AFL and apparently will blow the lid off racism in this country (or some such shit).

You have been warned.

I believe Caroline Wilson on Footy Classified alluded to this last night. But I sort of tuned out because I am sick of hearing about the fuckwit. He wasn’t booed out of the game because of his skin colour. He was booed because he pointed to a 13 year old girl and said a couple of days later that ‘she is the face of racism’. This after a completely undeserved Australian Of The Year gong.
    Don’t think it will happen to the little bald master from Geelong however. He has more intestinal fortitude than the prick from Sydney.

34. DrBeauGan

Good to see you here, Alfred.

35. Infidel Tiger

Dutton and Abbott to lose their seats.

Not good.

36. zyconcoclast

One Belt, One Road,

I understand the road, but what’s the “belt”?

That’s what you get wacked with if you don’t comply.

37. Bruce in WA

One of my all-time favourite actresses …. sorry, actors. She really was beautiful, and those blue eyes were hypnotic .

But lets not forget that at that time ALL songs were re-recorded, with her singing over the footage in a studio. Hence, no breathlessness or grunts or groans when undergoing physical stress.

38. As an extra means of enforcement, Allen’s bill would direct the city’s Department of Public Works (DPW) to establish a Citizen Safety Enforcement Pilot Program. Under the pilot program—which would run for one year—10 citizens from each of the District’s eight wards would be authorized to ticket drivers parked illegally.

They’re called block wardens.

39. Armadillo

Brain surgery is less complicated than heart surgery. Ask Victer Chang. Oh wait.

40. Fleeced

Dutton and Abbott to lose their seats.

I don’t think either will, but Dutton is more likely for that to happen – despite the huge effort into ousting Abbott.

41. Armadillo

Great work Custard.

Custard isn’t trying hard enough. He seems to spend all day looking at cars and wondering when he’s going to get a feed at lunch time. JC nailed a it. Those brown shoes were atrocious. Custard needs to try harder.

Went to prepoll today. Got a HTV Labor card pushed under my nose, by some swampy who looked as though he’d robbed a scarecrow to go to work. “Want one of these?”

“I’ve two words for you “Franking credits” and I’m taking Chris Bowen’s advice on the matter.”

“What are you gonna do about hospitals, then?” replies the swampy.

“What’s that walloping great building up on the hill?”

I put Custard’s name in first place.

43. Spider

So what we’ve learned today from the Sydney Harbour Bridge fiasco is that if you are a terrorist and want to go undisturbed dress as a Greenie and you’ll esssentually be free to go about your business and no one will touch you until it’s too late.

I just wish they let them hang there for a week or so or bring out some tug boats with water cannons.

44. Cassie of Sydney

“Black Ball
    #3012442, posted on May 14, 2019 at 9:19 pm
    Cassie of Sydney, interested in your thoughts on this article by the great Melanie Phillips

Thanks Black Ball, Melanie always nails it…..the grotesque never ending Jooo hatred…..the Greens are saturated with it with Labor is not far behind.

45. P

My first year at high school was 1952. My mother then allowed me to go to the Intermediate Session (one feature) at the theatre in an adjoining suburb which ran 4pm-7pm between the Matinee Session and the Evening Session (two films) and featured the main film.
    One of the first I saw that year was “I’ll see you in my dreams” with Doris Day. Memories to this day linger of that song.

It wasn’t till early 1956 that I thought of Doris Day again. The film “The man who knew too much” was a big hit. Everyone in my age group saw it. Everyone knew to number “Que Sera Sera”.

I remember so well working in the Bank at 97 Castlereagh St Sydney on a Saturday morning (banks were open 9-12 Saturdays those days) and a friend of mine started singing Que Sera on the mezzanine floor, and a young male got me up dancing to that song. The mezzanine floor was narrow and there was not a lot of space between the desks and a couple of Burroughs ledger machines. Oh how we danced. The Sub-Accountant caught us and we were in trouble. The boy I danced with eventually got the sack and went on to be a famous musician in the US and is still alive today here in the Blue Mountains where he was born.
    And yes he is on Wikipedia.

46. Black Ball

What galled me Cassie was that Corbyn was front and centre holding the banner. What are his policies on Rotherham rope gangs I wonder?

47. Empire 5:5

Odds are someone’s life was ruined. A missed job interview, a loved one dying before they get there. For me, the selfishness of the act is unfathomable.

In a gentler age, they would hang in perpetuity as a memorial to the grief of the commons. Ecofascists really are the worst of all.

48. Steve trickler

Utube are flummoxed.

Black Ball

#3012423, posted on May 14, 2019 at 8:47 pm

Two lessons in karma today.
    (1) For years the AFL pandered to Goodes and turned a blind eye to his bullshit (on the field and off) and now he will drop a bucket of shit on them.
    (2) The Vicar of Dibley has worked her ample arse off to show that RA are just soooo woke and PC. Their reward? Against the weight of viewer numbers Rugger will probably be dropped by Foxtel with resources likely to be thrown at Wyminses AFL, because “it’s the right thing to do.”

Good stuff Alfred. Dad on the twelve string?

51. Armadillo

I don’t think either will, but Dutton is more likely for that to happen

There is definately a combined strategy from Labor/Greens/Get Up here.

Slay the head of the perceived serpent. You can see exactly who they regard as their greatest threats. There will be a lacklustre effort at winning the seats of “Liberal Lites”, and little treasure expended to defeat them. They sail on the same ship, after all.

At the end of the day, I’m coming around to the view that other Cats have proffered. The Liberal Party need to be destroyed, before the party can rise again.

On the whole, they have been a massive disappointment since they dislodged RGR. Disgraceful.

They had an opportunity to govern for another 24 years after that schnozzle. Nope. The fuckwits.

52. Notafan

Wow

From being allowed to wander the streets at the age of 4/5 and go to the cinema alone every day to having to get special permission to go in high school.

53. So in the 1940s, did school go from K-6 and then 7-9 and then…?

Asking for a friend.

54. Cactus

Am I a foolish person for thinking this election is tight and the Libs might just make it?

Henry VIII had the right idea. They should have been allowed to hang there while the crows pecked their eyes out, and then until the wind whistled through their worthless skeletons.

56. Yeah I know notafan.

Being 6 in 1946, starting school that year and then skipping one year of primary school to go to Walgett Prep in 1952, to catch up with the other kids who started school at age 5? LOL, should have been “I was 12 when I started high school…” busted.

She’s a bloody marvel, ain’t she?

Piss off Gargooley, you bizarre freak.

57. Fleeced

I can’t afford Shorten. It’s not just bad policies, it’s policies that are directly hitting me.

Anyway, I think the Libs have a shot, but that’s probably because I’m in NSW, and they poll better here this year. I think they’ll take Lyndsay, re-take Wentworth and retain Gilmore and Warringah in NSW. Most other states will be status quo with potential loss of a seat or two in WA and Victoria.

Queensland will decide this election. We’ll know early if LNP is out, based on that.

58. jupes

He wasn’t booed out of the game because of his skin colour. He was booed because he pointed to a 13 year old girl and said a couple of days later that ‘she is the face of racism’. This after a completely undeserved Australian Of The Year gong.*

That and the fact that he slandered Australia’s founders as racists and murderers. Of course there isn’t one commentator who has the guts to point out these facts. The official narrative is that Goodes was booed because Australians are racist. And no doubt this will continue to be the narrative.

* Goodes was named AOTY after (and because of) the bullying of the young girl.

59. Elizabeth (Lizzie) Beare

Ha. I am a doctor’s wife in Wentworth.
    Drum me out now!

60. gingerbeer

Supposed to be a link to Michael Smith !!

61. P

I finished primary scho0l in 1951.

I then attended a Selective Girls High School in 1952 till the end of 1954.

This was the normal for girls, and most often for boys of working class families in those days.

62. Yeah fucken hell, who hasn’t seen a 4 year old take themselves to movies to watch Casablanca?

Play it again, Diego.

This is our song, Ryder.

Here’s looking at you, Dora.

63. Armadillo

I tend to believe that the “Never Trumpers” version in the Liberal Party were much stronger than the US version.

Go back and look at how many Americans were involved in the RGR campaigns, and vice versa. It’s straight out of the Obama/Clinton/Democrat American political “play book”.

Don’t believe me? Check your Facebook, G-Mail and Twitter feeds.

mOnster was in training on his “Honey Moon”.

64. I then attended a Selective Girls High School in 1952 till the end of 1954.

I was right about you owning a Bedford van, a well in your house and Bichon Frise.

65. mh

Downer may need another pair of underpants

Barr Assigns U.S. Attorney in Connecticut to Review Origins of Russia Inquiry

Ha. I am a doctor’s wife in Wentworth.
    Drum me out now!

When Catallaxy Files mounts the coup that topples the re run of the Whitlam Government that the Shorten Government will be, and helps to balance the budget by bringing in a special tax on ash blonde hairstyles, Pilates classes, and four wheel drives driven in urban areas, you’ll be an exemption.

67. Fleeced

Yeah, the Kathy Sherriff story sounds kinda bogus to me (about current legal pursuit that is, not the original charge), but Michael Smith reckons it’s a real story and that he’s been in contact with her. He also says the photo is from today.

68. Elizabeth (Lizzie) Beare

Credlin and Jones on Sky tonight had a pretty optimistic run over the swinging electorates.

Latham on Sky now still predicting a solid Labor win. Rita Panahi on Sky also not optimistoc in Victoria. SE Qld identified by Latham as where the election will be decided.

No-one really knows

69. hzhousewife

Custard got a nice call-out from Cory just now on PML. Latham says Morrison wins the campaign but loses the election.

Larry Pickering ran with the story – he said that, if Bill Shorten ever sued for defamation, he’d put Kathy Sheriff in the witness box to tell her whole story.

71. Knuckle Dragger

Pedro,

Told ya. Death stares will abound in your direction, so much so that Global Warming (TM) will now be your fault. Schoolgirls will run from you, crying that the bad man is here and Mrs Marple across the road told me about him.

Your milk will now cost $15 at the shops, and that’s when you disguise yourself to get in the door, because all others will, within seconds of your appearance on the main street lock their doors and put the shutters out.

It’s Russian bride time.

72. Fleeced

SE Qld identified by Latham as where the election will be decided.

He’s right on that – I just don’t have enough to know how they’ll go (I can’t trust polls or news reports – whereas I think I have a pretty decent feel for NSW).

But like I said, we’ll know early if it’s over, just by watching Qld.

73. Cactus

Does the media ignore the Michael Smith stuff?

74. Knuckle Dragger

The wonderful Black Steam Train wrote about Goodes. One of the best things I’ve read, ever.

He hasn’t done anything for a while now, but I reckon that article’s still up on his blog.

Does the media ignore the Michael Smith stuff?

Known about it for years.

They seemed more interested in a possibly punched wall.

76. Fleeced

Does the media ignore the Michael Smith stuff?

Aside from lawsuits, most wouldn’t believe it – unless their was saturation media coverage on it (which there certainly would be if it were Abbott, but since it isn’t…)

Even Lib supporters are reluctant to push it because it could bow up in their face… to push something like this you either need 1) lots of evidence; or 2) MSM backing. This has neither.

77. mh

Statement of Kathy Sherriff
    In 1986 I was ra ped by Bill Shorten.

I was 16 years old at the time.

At a later point the matter was reported to Victoria Police.

In August 2014, after a long investigation, the Victorian Police told me they were not proceeding to prosecute Bill Shorten for my ra pe. I was devastated.

Part of the reason the police gave me was that the Victorian OPP thought there was no reasonable prospect of conviction – because it was only my word against Bill’s. Another reason was that some of the people I said were witnesses could not be found by the police.

The police told me that if new witnesses were located or other evidence was found, then they would look at reopening my case.

Since then I have worked hard to find the people I knew were at the conference that weekend in August 1986 and who knew what happened to me. I looked for all the evidence I could find to support my case. For 5 years this has been my focus so that I can have justice and this matter can go to trial.

My whole life has been impacted by the events of that weekend and until this case is dealt with by the courts, I cannot move past it.

Today, Peter Faris QC has agreed to assist me in my pursuit of justice and we have arranged to meet with Victorian Police to present the new evidence.

We call for my case to be reopened.

I have done this on my own accord without the assistance of the media or the many friends and supporters who have tried to help me in the past or in recent months.

This is my journey alone.

I know that many people will criticise the timing of my actions – but my right to justice and the rights of ra pe victims everywhere, is more important than politics.

If anyone has any questions they can contact me through face book or contact

Mr Peter Faris QC.

78. Knuckle Dragger

Block wardens. This is an unassailable demonstration of stupidity.

The punters won’t be able to help themselves. The selection process, such as it may be will select the people that have caused the most grief for their version of local government. They’ll all be the same ilk of Harold Scruby. Chairman, CEO, director and sole member of the Australian Pedestrian Council.

One of these local Adolfs will then take it upon themselves to further a neighbourhood dispute by constantly ticketing their nemesis next door or across the road. Then there’ll be one or two court cases, then a flood of them. The Scrubys will go to court and filibuster for hours, pontificating on their own greatness and wasting everyone’s time.

Then the concept will quietly go away, to be re-invented every two decades or so. As Whatsername’s heroin(e) sang, ‘Que sera sera’.

79. Old School Conservative

Spider
    #3012441, posted on May 14, 2019 at 9:19 pm

Plan B – cut their ropes.

80. jupes

Barr Assigns U.S. Attorney in Connecticut to Review Origins of Russia Inquiry

As predicted, still no report of this on the ABC. LOL. They won’t be able to ignore it for much longer. In the meantime check out the head investigator. He looks serious.

‘Nothing behind smile’ with Rudd

Jessica Cortis
    Reporter
    @Jess_cortis‏
    33 minutes ago May 14, 2019
    3 Comments

Former prime minister Julia Gillard has hinted at the simmering tension between her and Kevin Rudd at Labor’s recent campaign launch.

Ms Gillard admitted there was “nothing behind the smile” when asked how it felt posing for photos with Mr Rudd during the ALP’s launch two weeks ago.

“For both Kevin and I there is a history that everybody knows but there are things bigger than us,” Ms Gillard told a sold out Women in Leadership event tonight.

“The gutsy policies the team have put forward this election is more important.”

Ms Gillard admitted she “missed running the country” but didn’t enjoy the “sheer relentlessness” of it all.

“I don’t miss the sheer relentlessness of it all and I’ve never woken up and said ‘what’s missing from my life is the Canberra press gallery,” she said.

“It was too hard, too stressful, too emotional to say I was confident that I could be prime minister.”

From the Oz. Here’s a tip, Julia. We don’t miss your “leadership”, not in the slightest.

82. Armadillo

Here is the rub.

Something I believe that won’t be in dispute is that American Governments (and more recently Democrat donors) have tried to influence pretty much every election around the world for the past 50 years.

Russia? FMD.

83. Armadillo

Someone needs to point it out to our American friends.

84. Elizabeth (Lizzie) Beare

Zulu! I loathe Pilates. So boring. Dancing is my thing.
    Ash blonde? Do you want me to look like an old lady? Golden Blonde please.

Anyway. Hairy is a real doctor, of very tough Science, not Medicine.
    I am the one in our home who has a degree from the SU Faculty of Medicine.
    Tricked ya. All is not always as it seems. 🙂

Now John Howard on saying it is the low primary vote that should trouble Labor.
    You’d have to be a soothsayer to pick this election.
    I am going for a landslide for the Libs.
    Might as well put the house on it and go for broke.
    I am feeling daring tonite.

85. Oh come on

Shut it, Armadillo. Custard’s giving it a crack. Good on him. And thank goodness for his sort. What he’s doing sure beats the hell out of the utterly useless crap you do here between 10pm and 5am on a daily basis.

86. Elizabeth (Lizzie) Beare

Gillard just loved the Canberra Press Gallery.

How can we help? they asked.

87. Wow.

Whoa!

Joe Rogan Experience #1295 – Tulsi Gabbard

329,698 views 13K UV 2.3K DV
    Share Save

PowerfulJRE
    Published on May 13, 2019

Tulsi Gabbard is a 2020 Presidential Candidate of the Democratic Party and is currently serving as the U.S. Representative for Hawaii’s 2nd congressional district since 2013.

88. Infidel Tiger

Tulsi is smoking.

She would make an excellent President.

89. Mitch M.

The issue under discussion was about surgery. Quick thinking, reduced error rates, coolness under pressure, good impulse control, sustained focus, all qualities strongly associated with intelligence and very much needed in the surgery emergency.

Even the way people think that memory is enough is wrong. Memory is good for game shows but what counts is joining the dots which is very much about intelligence. What happens at the level of general medicine can be error prone. I don’t trust GPs, every time they prescribe something I go home and check it out. Most of that decision making is just about decision trees and unfortunately many GPs have aging and rotting trees in their head.

Not for much longer. Sometimes I still outperform my database and online search engines. I’ll be reading something that an association forms from decades ago will pop up but the search engines won’t find it so I have to go through all manner of strings to track it down. Those sorts of linkages can be very important for finding a way forward. Machine learning is the future of many scientific discoveries. We’re too stupid for complexity.

I’d prefer a blonde female president, Artie.

91. Armadillo

Custard probably also understands “taking the piss”.

He’s not even Australian, judging by his surname.

92. mh

The Australian media had no trouble reporting non-credible allegations that Brett Kavanaugh was a gang rapist.

It was reported as if the walls were closing in on a monster. Fvcking morons.

93. Fisky

Why the Chinese Communist Party is backing Labor

China sees a potential change of government in Australia as a chance to reset the bilateral relationship, which soured under former prime minister Malcolm Turnbull as concerns around security overshadowed the economic benefits.

…”We would like new government to overturn the previous ruling on banning Huawei. It requires political wisdom to achieve it,” says Chen Hong, director of the Australian Studies Centre at Shanghai’s East China Normal University.

Oh dear. Add to that, the Labor Party’s 1 million granny airlift, and Beijing will be totally in the tank for Shorten.

94. mh

The Australian media had no trouble reporting non-credible allegations that Brett Kavanaugh was a gang ra pist.

It was reported as if the walls were closing in on a monster. Fvcking morons.

95. Black Ball

Yes it’s still available Knuckle Dragger. I linked an article here from his site about the detestable Adam Goodes.

96. Armadillo

Tulsi is smoking.

Low standards. Too much make-up. She’s probably “frumpy” under that coat.

97. 2dogs

Older generations are influenced by the mainstream media, so I’m not so sure.

98. mh

Donald J. Trump
    @realDonaldTrump
    24s
    China will be pumping money into their system and probably reducing interest rates, as always, in order to make up for the business they are, and will be, losing. If the Federal Reserve ever did a “match,” it would be game over, we win! In any event, China wants a deal!

99. Armadillo

It’s why they made her sit on a chair, rather than stand up.

It’s a “gentleman thing”. Sit down, otherwise you will look “frumpy”.

We even pull out the chair for them. Old world stuff.

100. Older generations are influenced by the mainstream media, so I’m not so sure.

Yeah good point.

101. zyconcoclast

A M00slim man has been hacked to death in communal violence in Sri Lanka following Easter bombings that killed more than 250 people.

A M00slim man was hacked to death in Monday’s violence in which members of the country’s largely Buddh1st majority ethnic Sinhalese attacked M00slim-owned shops and homes in several towns, said Rauff Hakeem, a Cabinet minister and leader of the Sri Lanka M00slim Congress.

That’s his silliest tweets yet. There aren’t many, which is saying something.

103. Infidel Tiger

Free trade is a lefty position.

Protectionism equals domestic prosperity.

The reading, in the cold, right wing cave that serves as my library is two titles. One is William J Duicker’s biography of Ho Chi Minh – one of the first books written with access to the North Vietnamese archives, and the other is Troy Bramston’s book about Robert Menzies, and the art of politics. (I make no comparison between Ho Chi Minh and Robert Menzies.)

Menzies was asked “If he would be consulting the powerful interests that control you, in selecting your Cabinet.” He replied,”Yes, but do try and keep my wife’s name out of this.”

105. jupes

The AFL is doing it’s best to stamp out ‘hate speech’.

For telling an umpire, “you talk like a little girl”, Rampe was sanctioned $10,000, of which $5000 was suspended.

Rampe’s apology: “Being called a girl is something that should be celebrated. I genuinely mean that”.

Not if you’re a man, you idiot. FMD.

106. Old School Conservative

The bastardly of the left.

The state-owned Gladstone Ports Corporation suspended a contract with the company that employed a Gladstone electrical engineer who put Bill Shorten on the spot over the ALP’s plan to increase tax on top-tier income earners.(The Oz)

So not only did the man who asked Snake Oil Bill a difficult question get suspended, so did his employer.

107. Oh come on

I rate Tulsi. Also Andrew Yang. The two Democrat candidates who aren’t mindless drones beholden to identity politics.

Mike Gravel also. He doesn’t stand a chance either.

How can we help? they asked.

Mark Riley.

109. Done Deal

The Foreign Influence Transparency Scheme Act 2018 (the Act) establishes the Foreign Influence Transparency Scheme (the scheme) to provide the public and government decision-makers with visibility of the nature, level and extent of foreign influence on Australia’s government and political processes.

Does anyone know if Messrs Keating, Rudd, Carr, Robb, et al are registered or required to register under this Act? Or indeed if anyone has registered?

110. Oh come on

IT is having a rush of blood to the head about protectionism, but China also needs to be brought to heel. It has been running with the foxes and hunting with the hounds for decades. It is not tenable for China to continue reaping the benefits of being a part of the international order whilst shirking the responsibilities.

111. Brislurker

Alfred, was just thinking about you and wondering if you were contesting again. Good to hear from you.

The current account deficit is around 3% of Australian GDP. It’s currently being financed with the Aussie Dollar at 69.35 to the US. Given that the Liars are threatening $40 billion a year in new taxes with capital gains taxes going sky high ( to the marginal tax rate) and no hope of lowering corp taxes. What exchange rate would foreigners want in order to invest here either through portfolio investment or direct investment? Our GDP is roughly around A$1.3 trillion so we need approximately A$39 billion a year of foreign buying the currency. My guess is the currency is making its way to about 57 cents and we could touch 50 cents again if the liars win. Tax rates in oz are going to go through the fucking roof.

This is a truly fucking awful situation if it comes about. A decent chunk of imports are capital goods. They will be unaffordable at that level of exchange rate. Consequently productivity takes a turn even more for the worse.

The liars a fucking insane.

114. Mitch M.

Older generations are influenced by the mainstream media, so I’m not so sure.

IQ started falling long before social media. It’s a strange thing.

How can we help? they asked.

Mark Riley.

Old age, and a liking for strong drink, have dulled my memory, but wasn’t it Mark Riley who tried to set up Tony Abbott over the “Shyte happens” remark in Afghanistan? Abbot should have punched the sniveling little grub into the next postcode.

116. hzhousewife

We should just send them the forms.

OCO

What are China’s responsibilities exactly? If consumers don’t like their products, they wouldn’t be buying them. That’s really the only “responsibility” China has. The rest is leftist bullshit.

118. Mitch M.

I think China is attempting to become so dominant that what the USA does becomes irrelevant to their needs. What we call the “international order” is to them just Western imperialism. A friend told me of a strange issue now occurring. You can find it on the latest release from ADVChina. In China you must refer to Taiwan as China. On that video is an example of a young Chinese man playing some computer game and yells Taiwan No. 1! He is immediately set upon by a host of other gamers. Something strange and dangerous is happening in China.

A problem for Western governments is that so many corporations are now China dependent for manufacturing either directly with plants in China or sourcing parts. I have no idea how that will pan out but governments might face pressure from some corporations to back off. Perhaps that is already occurring behind closed doors because by now there should be much more pressure on China. We should have taken out at least one of those island chains as a shot across the bow. Why haven’t we?

119. mh

JC, I heard Morrison at the weekend talk about our two trillion dollar economy?

Where did he pick that figure from?

What do you buy in Australia that would look interesting as an asset class after a Liars Party win and they manage to get their policies through? I can’t think of anything.

They’re going to crank up wages as well.

This would have to be the most anti-business government since Federation.

121. Armadillo

Everyone is too busy watching everyone else. Only to cover their own arses. That includes everyone from the PM to ASIO, FP, every Government Department imaginable and right down to the poorly paid illegal immigrant cleaners.

Don’t get me wrong. People do get stabbed occasionally.

MH

He could be right. I just looked it up on Google’s front page.

123. Oh come on

What are China’s responsibilities exactly

Don’t steal IP, allow fair access to their market.

OCO

Intellectual property laws these days are so convoluted and complex, you could be stealing a patent by taking a dump. It’s also pretty accurate to say the US uses IP as a form of protectionism itself.

125. mh

Tulsi Gabbard: ‘Important’ for Hollywood to Oppose Georgia’s ‘Heartbeat’ Law

She would make an excellent President? Hmm.

MH

I think the 1.3 figure is in US Dollars, so the 2 trillion could be right. Dunno.

127. None

Tulsi is already years behind the eight ball. Trump has already pulled America out of costly foreign engagements which don’t benefit America in any way and she’s just trying a stupid version of America First. You could take her down in five minutes.

Here’s the point about tariffs. Every single time the fat fuck talks about lambasting the rest of the world with tariffs and shit like that, the US stock market takes a yuge hit.

Can someone explain the rational here.. At least the protectionists? If protectionism is so grand then assets prices would be looking up… NOT DOWN!.

Also, bond yields in the US have fallen, which should be interpreted as lower GDP in the US going forward.

I love alt-right economics. It’s almost as stupid as the left’s.

129. Infidel Tiger

Stock market isn’t the economy.

It’s a ponzi for corporatist swines.

Serial fabulist Smith and Faris QC are being dishonourable curs to cite the rigged Pell prosecution as a worthy and solid precedent for pursuing Shorten (again). I neither like nor admire Shorten but I don’t believe he should be charged on the say-so of one person (with no accompanying evidence whatsoever). The goose/gander argument vis-a-vis Pell is one all right-minded people should avoid like the plague. In the infinitesimally unlikely event that the Victorian DPP would back a prosecution of Shorten (LOL), that would only canonise as exemplary what was in fact the most egregiously corrupt prosecutory lynching in Australian history. It would also imperil every single Australian.

131. Knuckle Dragger

I’d love to play around with stocks and whatnot.

Apparently you need money to start, though.

Just like I’ve said before about Hollywood. If the Right wanted to really hurt those arseholes in Hollywood, they would do all they can to relax pirating laws and make it essentially a civil issue.

Same with the Valley. IP is a huge thing there and the best way to fuck them over is to relax IP laws.

You want to give Cook, Bezos, Fuckerberg and dickhead Dorsey along with the Russian at Google, protection while they do all they can to fuck over the right’s commenters. Then go right ahead and keep tightening the noose.

Stock market isn’t the economy.

That’s a silly comment. The stock market is the best indicator humanity has for asset values. There’s no other as quick and as transparent as this to gauge economic health and reaction etc.

This is so accepted it’s not even up for debate.

134. Infidel Tiger

Will never happen.

China lives and breathes on the USD.

It’s a ponzi for corporatist swines.

Then invest in private equity where objectives such as increasing shareholder value is the primary motivating force.

Stop criticizing capitalism.

Buy a fucking business and run it with your own values. Ignore that dwarf at Qantas.

137. Infidel Tiger

Capitalism is fantastic.

Corporatism is evil.

Here Artie. This is where real capitalism is being done.

The rise and rise of private equity

Mind you I fucking hate private equity because those greedy pricks have licked off all the cream from IPOs and you no longer can make a quick turn. But boy, are they focused on making money.

139. Mitch M.

Up to about IQ 130 maybe. Past that, they wouldn’t find the work interesting.

Beside the point. Intellectually medicine is not exciting but for specialists in particular there is pleasure is making lives better, the status, and the eventual income they earn. People are interested for different reasons.

Most professional work become rule following. I had a strange experience a few years ago when I starting reading the ASD literature. It wasn’t long before I came to the conclusion “nothing new here” so I stopped reading in depth but kept tracking the research only to find variations on the themes. Perhaps I should have kept going but I know that until we better understand genetics and development, both of which are way beyond our comprehension, there is not much hope at a theoretic level. What we know now can help prevent the prevalence of neurodevelopmental disorders with the primary emphasis being on maternal health. Yet for some reason we can’t even get that right, if anything neurodevelopmental disorders are increasing but I’ll take the easy way out on that: parents are now much older and the evidence is very clear that older parents, both male and female, have substantially higher risks for producing children with problems. I’m not that interested in the clinical side, I’m more interested in understanding the processes that give rise to the conditions. I think I’ve become too old because I now lack the drive to discover. I’ve even placed myself on a reading ban until the end of June. BTW most people who claim to be on the spectrum don’t have a clue.

Today, Silicon Valley technology companies will often do almost anything to gain competitive advantage. Lawsuits relating to stolen trade secrets, missing files and suspicious hires are a big part of the Silicon Valley ecosystem currently. In fact, Apple spent most of the last decade in court with Samsung fighting over smartphone patents. And Snap accused Instagram of copying Snapchat Stories. In the 1990s, Apple vs. Xerox and Apple vs. Microsoft fought over copyright infringement. Another recent example, which recently settled for $245 million, is the Waymo lawsuit, which sought $1.8 billion in damages, alleged that Anthony Levandowski, a former Uber engineer who previously was an engineer at Google, pilfered 14,000 confidential documents from Google, where he helped run its self-driving division, to start Otto, a company in the same field, back in 2016.

“It is Silicon Valley’s trial of the century, when it comes to trade secrets,” said Jed Ferdinand, an intellectual property attorney, in a recent Barron’s article. This particular case highlights the countless problems that plague the system of protecting IP in Silicon Valley today. Ultimately, Waymo kept the inventions as trade secrets instead of patenting them – and trade secrets give a perpetual monopoly on new technologies so long as the invention remains secret.

Amidst all of what is happening, IPWatchdog sat down with John Brockland, technology and IP transactions partner at Hogan Lovells, to discuss the importance of protecting company IP in Silicon Valley. Throughout his career, he has handled many prominent matters across the full technology spectrum, representing companies ranging from startups to large multinationals in many industries.

“When we represent a client doing an acquisition of a technology company, the IP (along with the talented employees) is among the most important assets of the company,” he explained. “The same is true for strategic investments and partnering deals. Particularly for early-stage companies, the company’s technology and IP often drive valuation, even more than existing revenues from customers.”

Since technology and IP are so important today, it pays for companies to focus attention on properly managing their IP assets, which includes making sure appropriate employee agreements are in place, carefully reviewing and negotiating inbound and outbound licensing agreements, devising an appropriate patent strategy, and many other significant tasks.

These pieces of shit are spending most of their time in court suing each other in between banning rightwingers on social media,

Stop IP protection now.

If firms are really serious about their innovations they would keep them secret. IP has become total bullshit allowing monopoly situations to develop.

Silicon Valley is a dweeb lawsuit fest.

142. I shall be speaking tomorrow at the Australian Youth Climate Coalition’s “Climate and Nature: Senate and Clark Candidates Forum” in Hobart.
    Some of the AYCC may be astonished at my position on “climate action”.

143. Calli, my dad plays only 6-string guitars on those two tracks.

144. Mitch M.

JC,

The world’s largest game card manufacturer has just been hit with a massive law suit for IP violation.

You’re right about IP. I remember trawling through some patents and was amazed at how ridiculous some of the patents for medical intervention were. Clearly ambit patents so in the case where someone actually did the work to prove the therapy they would lose IP rights over it.

Do corporations have any choice in the matter? Isn’t it their responsibility to maximise profits by whatever legal means available?

145. Mitch M.

Sorry video card manfacturer – Nvidia.

I don’t fault them because you play your best shots with what you have. The real problem I have is with the US government.

But I really fucking hate Silicon Valley though. I’m not that far out of saying the above. These are dweebs suing each other and the rest of the time they spend looking to ban righties on social media. Trump has this IP thing arse backwards.

AG Barr is top value. If only Trump had hired this dude at the beginning instead of that red neck twerp who recused himself at the first opportunity scared of his own shadow.

148. Steve trickler

A bit of fun, late at night.

Top Notch.

I’m just catching up with yesterday’s Folau spin-off – wherein Bill Shorten gave us the most insane Rule Out wedge in the history of politics. To wit: Morrison should have ruled out that homosexuals go to hell.

Shorten stoops to new low
    This is about as low as political debate can get in Australia: Scott Morrison’s personal beliefs are being used against him.

4 MINUTES AGO By DENNIS SHANAHAN

Please post, anyone with a subscription.

To wit: Morrison should have ruled out that homosexuals go to hell.

Why not just change the tone and wording though. Why not say homosexuals and lesbians can’t get into heaven. I think that sounds a lot cleaner in a sense. 🙂

I bet any man who dumps his wife at the footy would have trouble getting into heaven,

Barr’s appointment of junkyard dog John Durham – who has extensive experience (and kills) against stonewalling ‘intelligence’ agencies – is inspired. Many Democrats and Comey/Brennan/Clapper partisans (BIRM) are now peeing their pants.

154. Fisky

This is about as low as political debate can get in Australia: Scott Morrison’s personal beliefs are being used against him as Labor seeks to weaponise faith, as well as mobilising the worst aspects of the same-sex marriage debate.

It’s a dangerous tactic and one the Prime Minister will find difficult to fend off without being distracted, but it is also a sign that Labor is desperate and seeking to energise younger voters who may be drifting to the Greens and independents.

Bill Shorten yesterday volunteered at a press conference that he considered the Prime Minister’s refusal to comment on his religious beliefs was part of “propositions being put that are being advanced that gay people are going to go to hell”.

“I cannot believe that the Prime Minister has not immediately said that gay people will not go to hell,” Shorten declared after Morrison declined to respond to questions about gays going to hell because his faith was a personal matter.

155. P

Fnk Walker from National Tiles
    ra#3012456, posted on May 14, 2019 at 9:47 pm
    Yeah I know notafan.
    She’s a bloody marvel, ain’t she?
    Piss off Gargooley, you bizarre freak.

From both of you these comments are pathetic

The days I refer to are before your time.

I never skipped any year of my education. I started school at the Catholic School in Walgett in 1946 after I had turned 6yrs of age. All of those in their first couple of years didn’t have desks but had to sit on the floor and had to play with blocks or scribble or draw on the paper we were given.

I was born in Walgett, my father was born in Walgett and my grandfather was born in Walgett, and my great grandfather was a pioneer of Walgett in the 1870s.

This is truly incedible.

If you have lots of money stashed away, go your hardest. Vote 1 Greens. But don’t expect to get richer under Green policies. Your kids won’t enjoy the same cashed-up lifestyle as you either. And as for the poor, they simply cannot afford to vote Green.

Who votes for the Greens matters because Green votes in the Senate will determine policies in a Shorten government. The Greens are beholden to a voting base that is, historically, far more demographically and ideologically ­defined than the earlier balance-of-power party, the Australian Democrats, or today’s minor parties, be it Pauline Hanson’s One Nation or Clive Palmer’s United Australia Party.

Roy Morgan’s latest State of the Nation report for Saturday’s election details the depth of self-indulgence behind the Greens’ voting base.
    Read Next

The Greens attract voters from the highest socio-economic quintiles: 31 per cent of people in the AB quintile and 24 per cent in the C quintile, meaning people with the fattest incomes, the best jobs and the highest level of education.

Forget the baloney about the Liberals representing the top end of town.

Fully one-third of Australians in the cushiest socio-economic groups vote Greens.

It was the same demographic that supported the fascists and Nazis.

And why sheilas should not be allowed to set foot in a voting booth. Ever!

And, in a sign perhaps those well-heeled doctors’ wives are on the march, women are more easily duped by promises of nirvana than men; the Greens attract 59 per cent of their support from women, up from 54 per cent since the 2010 election.

Support from men has dropped off, according to Roy Morgan polling, down to 41 per cent from 46 per cent when the Greens joined with Julia Gillard’s Labor minority government.

158. Infidel Tiger

Stupid righties are upset that tech monopolies are rooted after the SCOTUS decision.

These morons have no idea who the real enemy is.

FMD. On the contrary, it’s a gift. Or rather, it could be if Morrison wasn’t all swagger and no ex tempore smarts. He should have immediately demanded that Shorten rule out pursuing and persecuting Christians and Muslims who espouse the age-old tenets and doctrines of their faiths. Then you badger and badger him for an answer … and solemn undertakings.

FMD. On the contrary, it’s a gift. Or rather, it could be if Morrison wasn’t all swagger and no ex tempore smarts. He should have immediately demanded that Shorten rule out pursuing and persecuting Christians and Mohometans who espouse the age-old tenets and doctrines of their faiths. Then you badger and badger him for an answer … and solemn undertakings.

I kind of like Morrison, but I think he’s a little shallow. Wifey also told me she read somewhere he fell for his wife when he was 11 or 12 years old. That’s really odd.

WTF on many levels.

Breaking: @realDonaldTrump considering Rod Rosenstein for future nomination as @FBI Director.

Is he firing Wray?

Rosenstein pretty ruthlessly trashed Comey yesterday. The swampies are turning on each other. Trump has flipped them all. I’d say any talk of Rod getting upped is just Trump fucking with Comey and Wray.

164. None

165. None

I did warn you years ago when Morrison was opposition immigration person that he is all show no smarts. The guy got fired from Tourism Australia. How useless do you have to be to get fired from that outfit?

The guy got fired from Tourism Australia.

Tits didn’t get a job a Slater Walker. How useless would you have to be?

167. None

People the Libs have been running a marginals campaign focussing on a few seats with many undecideds. It is the same strategy Crosby Textor used to get Cameron over the line in his surparise win. And Morrison is as big a dud as Cameron.

Peter:

You have to remember you are standing for AC not the Libs. That may be used against you.

Reposting from yesterday’s OT: Johannes Leak.

Nigel Farage’s Brexit Party has blown up British politics and the establishment’s media toadies like Dave Brown (London Independent) are losing their minds.

But Christian Adams (London Evening Standard) gets it.

171. DrBeauGan

Tom, the branco and lester links are the same.

172. RobK

Thanks Tom. “Love the smell of wall street in the morning” by Rowe was clever. Leak is good too.

173. EvilElvis

What’s really odd is as a current leader of a western country his wife wasn’t 35 at the time…

174. pete m

JC, trump is using tariffs as a bargaining chip. We’ve been over this before.

175. Old School Conservative

Alfred
    #3012553, posted on May 14, 2019 at 11:54 pm

Give ’em hell.

176. Old School Conservative

Thanks Tom.
    AOC has morphed from a caricature into a real live crazy.

Calli, my dad plays only 6-string guitars on those two tracks.

I’m no aficionado, Alfred. It sounded really good. I have a young grandson (just slightly taller than the guitar) learning to play the thing. Not bad at all. 🙂

Interesting to read the reminiscences of the old ESandA bank in Castlereagh Street.

Most branches had a mezzanine floor, where the Manager sat in lofty isolation. Usually housed the Overseas Department. Accountants and Sub-Accountants on the ground floor, along with the Examiners, Tellers and clerks. The idea of dancing on the mezzanine floor after hours! Chuckle. No wonder the Manager had conniptions.

ESandA merged with ANZ in the late 60’s and I suppose the premises was sold off. ESandA then went on to be the Bank’s finance company, much like AGC and BNSW (now Westpac).

Australia’s banking history, pre Big Four, is rich and varied. When girls left school (as I did in ‘72), the bank was one of the destinations. Or nursing or secretarial. Or Teachers’ College on a bursary. Very, very few went on the university and degrees were rare, prized things.

Rowe is fun this morning! He’s so much better when he does a topic he’s not nutty about.

Johannes Leak has one in the business section. Not sure what it’s about as I can’t read the story.

180. Mother Lode

Tulsi Gabbard: ‘Important’ for Hollywood to Oppose Georgia’s ‘Heartbeat’ Law

They use heartbeats to decide if someone is dead, which is to say they are already using it to decide if someone is alive.

Difference is they can be seen.

181. None

A good crop today. Thanks, Tom.

182. mh

DrBeauGan
    #3012605, posted on May 15, 2019 at 4:52 am
    Tom, the branco and lester links are the same.

It was worth posting twice!

In view of last night’s comments here, Leak coukd have captioned it #BelieveAllWomen.

I agree with C.L. You can’t use the Pell conviction – it’s a dodgy precedent and likely to be overturned on appeal.

If it isn’t, then go for it. Why not?

184. mh

Rowe should stick to what he knows – naked men.

MARKETS
    Dow rises more than 200 points, posts best day in a month to claw back some of Monday’s drop

mh

#3012630, posted on May 15, 2019 at 7:28 am

Rowe should stick to what he knows – naked men.

MARKETS

Correct.

186. feelthebern

Tulsi very good on foreign policy.
    Not so great on domestic policy.
    Yang has some very good niche policies, but most of his domestic policy is not so hot.

187. feelthebern

What will Rowe do once Game of Thrones finishes next week?

PS, Rowe nails it. Again.

188. Fleeced

JC, Where should I be dumping my money atm? Shorten seems to be covering all the bases to ensure everything gets trashed (dividends, capital gains, negative gearing).

189. Farmer Gez

Hilarious stupidity by ABC radio hosts the other day at a local town hall election forum.
    The crowd of retirees and pensioners were asked by the millennial twerp on the microphone if the Adani coal mine was a big issue for them in this election.
    It’s a pity there wasn’t a camera to catch the WTF! look on the faces of the audience.
    They didn’t think a mine in central Queensland had much to do with small towns in Central Victoria.

190. feelthebern

Tulsi will go deep into the convention.
    She won’t get on the ticket for 2020, but she’ll be on the ticket for 2024.
    Maybe VP nom.

191. feelthebern

Either pumpkins (but remember to sell before Halloween) or orange juice futures (but that depends on the crop report).

Rowe is full of shit.
    If you want a quick-hit grab on what the US-China thing is about, you can’t go past AF Branco or Michael Ramirez.

193. feelthebern

This should be such an easy election for Scomo.
    Vote for me & you keep:
    Negative gearing;
    Franking credit refunds;
    CGT discount.

Vote for Dolly & you lose it the lot.

How can the Libs fuck that up?

194. woolfe

Fleeced, get your money out of the Shorten Gulag whilst you still can. AUD now below US$0.7

195. feelthebern

Rowe is 10x more offensive than Bill Leak ever was.

196. feelthebern

Fleeced, don’t listen to any of the South African Cats.
    They’re be telling you about Krugerrands next…

197. Knuckle Dragger

Krugerrands worked just fine during Lethal Weapon 2, btw.

Wall Streeters are craven cowards who’ve given Trump zero support despite the tax cuts.
    They deserve everything Xi inflicts upon them.
    You’d think they’d get brains and realise the Dems are their most poisonous enemy.
    But no, they slime up to the Democrats and give Trump a hard time over immigration and trade policy.

199. bespoke

Oh come on
    #3012515, posted on May 14, 2019 at 10:50 pm

Mike Gravel also. He doesn’t stand a chance either.

Tulsi sounds good but she has the same failed idea’s of poring money into ‘community’s’ that have no prospects of jobs rather then saying move to places that need workers. The US is short on truck drivers, farm hands and builders. The idea of community’s is a though back to medieval times.

Not all interviews have to be hostile but Rogan is so mushy his shows should start with we are the world.

200. Knuckle Dragger

When I was down the Goldy earlier this year there was an event where a group of about 12 of us were outside, smoking cigarettes like the filthy pariahs we were.

One of the ladees there was from Namibia, and to the bog-standard Aussie her accent was perfectly Seth African. When questioned, it turned out see had never seen Lethal Weapon 2.

I got her to say ‘Diplomatic Immunity’. The first effort was a bit quick, and without the context behind it she naturally didn’t give it her best.

I told her to slow it down, and to say it like you mean it – like you can’t be touched because you have it.

‘Deep-lo-mettic Ehmuuuunity’. Perfect. We laughed like bastards, while she still didn’t get it. Eventually someone YouTubed it for her. She got the joke.

Really nice girl. Great cans.

201. Cassie of Sydney

“None
    #3012582, posted on May 15, 2019 at 1:00 am
    Morrison should have just answered: well I know Shorten doesn’t think adulterers and liars go to hell. But you know, if your wife can’t trust you then neither can I.”

None, I would just change that slightly….

“well I know Shorten doesn’t think adulterers and liars go to hell. But you know, if your wife can’t trust you then neither can the Australian people.”

202. Knuckle Dragger

Ooooooohhh Cassie. Smack-oh!

In all sombre seriousness, Bill should be worried. There is a time-honoured truism that still applies today, and one I have seen at close range quite a few times, although not personally (I think).

‘If she cheats WITH you, she’ll cheat ON you.’

203. RobK

…then neither can the Australian people.”

…..then why should the Australian people.

He could have had some fun.

“I don’t know what Shorten said, but I don’t agree with it”.

205. woolfe

Anyone think it strange that the ALP dumped wives club never talks?

Horse heads I suppose.

206. None

I hear Herald Sun won’t allow quotes from the catholic catechism even without any commentary.

They talk. But it’s never reported, or reported only once in a very well-vetted interview.

Hazel, Annita, Debbie. All dumped. Hazel was probably the most tragic. And their exes would make any normal woman’s skin crawl.

Drives like a brick.

The Irreplaceable Chip That Is “Bricking” Out-Of-Warranty Teslas

Now, the culprit for many of these “bricked” cars may have been identified: one simple chip in older Teslas increasingly drifting out of warranty, called the eMMC chip. When this chip falls out of warranty and fails, owners lose access to the vehicle’s media control unit, according to The Drive.

The issue with this chip first surfaced in a report by Roadshow after a video detailing issue was uploaded to YouTube. The video (below) points out that when the eMMC fails, Tesla customers outside of warranty are simply out of luck. Why? Tesla doesn’t stock the part and won’t service it.

The eMMC chip is integrated into the car as a media control unit and used to log data collected by the media system in older Teslas. The Drive highlights the issue with the chip:

Evidently, as the solid-state chip has only a finite amount of times its space can be rewritten, when that space is gone, the chip fails which is where the real problem starts.

Ouch! Resale value just took another dive.

209. None

Spot on Cassie. And agree Calli – if only the dumped wives could speak. You could have lots of others like combet’s wife, Burke’s wif, Albo’s wife…

210. Knuckle Dragger

Evidently Ivan Milat is in hospital for something or other.

While this is undoubtedly good tidings for all, any Australian leader worth his salt would locate Paul Onions, the Pommy backpacker who got away from Milat and helped ID him and secure his conviction, and fly him back here in first class to deliver the coup de grace with the back end of a claw hammer.

211. min

The one I use abot certain behaviours is The leopard does not change its spots, From the rumours about Billdid not either.

212. bespoke

Armadillo
    #3012498, posted on May 14, 2019 at 10:30 pm
    Custard probably also understands “taking the piss”.

He’s not even Australian, judging by his surname

Irreverence is the best defense from going nuts. 😉

Chuckle

Seems he cheated the hangman.

214. Cassie of Sydney

That’s it….kaput to The Australian subscription…just had this comment “rejected”….please tell me, fellow Cats…what is so “offensive” about this comment…

“There’s a lot, and I am mean a lot, that can and perhaps should have been thrown back at Shorten yesterday. In contrast Morrison chose to be appropriate and dignified in the face of Shorten and Labor’s utterly grubby and personal attack on his faith. To use the Folau saga is utterly debased politics….if this is the road that Shorten and Labor are going to go down….well then I think it is time that the Labor party, and Bill Shorten in particular, need to be reminded that people in glass houses shouldn’t throw stones.”

215. Farmer Gez

The ABC running anti Israeli rant related to the Hack attack on Whats App.
    I asked the seventeen year old daughter about the App.
    “Dodgy as” was the reply.
    She hadn’t even heard the news of the breech. Fools get caught out it seems.

Yeah, but nah.
    Here’s how it would go …
    The MSM would headline it as a “jaw dropping gaffe” and would spare the viewers the horror of exposure to his exact words because “too disgusting”.
    Then Pieman and Chloe would be presented as victims of a “disgraceful attack on their family over the unfortunate breakdown of Billy’s first marriage.” (No mention of exact circumstances of course).
    Then, all roads lead to “fundamentalist Christian views having no place in modern Australian society.”

217. None

Well Cassie it seems News Corp is the home of the yellow-backed and the lily-livered. That comment is entirely 100% offence free.

218. None

Seems he cheated the hangman

oh that restores my faith that somewhere Out There there are vestiges of the true Australian spirit. I don’t need any reminders that the Australian public service it is as thick as two bricks, but.

that people in glass houses shouldn’t throw stones.”

The comment accuses Shorten of impropriety. Apparently News believes his only child was conceived miraculously.

He’s TeflonMan on the issue and can’t be touched.

220. mh

Cassie, the grammar is offensive …

221. Percy Popinjay

Cassie – why were you still bothering? End the subscription as of yesterday.

I’ve not regretted getting rid of mine for a second.

222. Mother Lode

How can the Libs fuck that up?

I bet that, as soon as you clicked on “Post Comment” you slapped your forehead and said “Forgot to put on the /rhetorical tag.”

If not and I seem a little officious then…er…um…Hey! Look over there! A Greenie helping an old person from his own pocket.