Decency and mediocrity trump mendacity and malevolence

Discuss.

Twostix nailed it.

I think we’re going to be surprised by morrison not on the economy which will probably remain the status quo, but morally. He’s going to return some sanity to the national institutions re god, family and christianity.

Relief there but no excitement. We can breath again but we still have a government that can’t or wont nail the key issues and explain what needs to be done about a few things like the national debt, the company tax rate, free speech, politicization of education at all levels, energy, red and green tape, culturally incompatible newcomers and identity politics. Some of rats in the ranks have gone from the party but far too many are still there.

A nice reminder from Zulu Kilo Two Alpha. Chris Bowen…”If you don’t like our policies, don’t vote for us.” Apparently the electorate heard him.

Two things on the topic of leadership. First, there is a review of Riccardo Bosi’s book on leadership on page xii of the 11 May Spectator. I meant to take it to Lizzie’s place last night. Second, Rite-ON may have the playbook to bet Getup on the ground. At Libertyfest in Brisbane last year they gave an inspiring account of their efforts to prop up a couple of Qld seats in the state election, they had only a handful of people, no money and a few weeks. They have been building since then and they would have been busy in Dutton’s electorate and others in Qld. I will get a report from them.

This entry was posted in 2019 election, Rafe. Bookmark the permalink.

82 Responses to Decency and mediocrity trump mendacity and malevolence

1. Rafe Champion

A great night at Lizzie’s place!
    Loved the ABC panel, like the US networks in their election. Lets hope some of it is saved on youtube.

2. The Quiet Farmer

Bit quite over here. Enjoy the victory, then get back to work, Australia needs you.

3. duncanm

No, you’ve got it all wrong.

Clementine Ford
    🧟‍♀️
    ‏Verified account @clementine_ford
    10h10 hours ago

Thinking of my son and his little friends and crying over the climate destroyed, bullshit world Australian voters are determined to leave him.

Margo Kingston
    💧
    ‏Verified account @margokingston1
    11h11 hours ago

It is over. My idea of Australia is over. So be it. I’m retiring and having a life while it’s left. Did my best. Many, many people did too. We were wrong.

( I think dear Margot has promised that before. We can only hope)

Nakkiah Lui
    ‏Verified account @nakkiahlui
    11h11 hours ago

New Queensland tourism slogan: beautiful one day, sending Australia into a hellscape of xenophobia, sexism, classicism, populist cruelty and environmental diseaster as this country disappears into the water and destroys itself, the next #ausvotes

Jane Caro
    ‏Verified account @JaneCaro
    23m23 minutes ago

So much fun to wake to messages telling me that I am an absolute bitch who should leave the country. I guess this is Australia right now. Like so many others, I despair. Trump, Brexit, Scomo – while the planet disintegrates.

Michael Pascoe
    ‏ @MichaelPascoe01
    10h10 hours ago

So it turns out most Australians don’t give a damn about climate and the franking credit refund handout heads off towards $11 billion a year.

.. but I go on.

4. sfw

Hope that the Libs will now understand that ‘climate change’ is not a winner except in a few inner city areas and just abandon the whole scam.
    That they realise that poor local MP like Sophie Mirrabella can poison an electorate for years.

5. Forget the Russians, it was divine intervention.

Let’s see their ABC prosecute that one.

6. Roberto

I didn’t watch any of the election coverage. I went straight to bed, depressed at what the morning would bring. Imagine my elation this morning when I checked the news!

7. John Stankevicius

Interesting, Bill Shorten and Kevin Rudd dropped Catholicism and embraced becoming Anglicans. Is this because they are throw backs and want to be “Anglos” or is it in the Labour Party that to climb up that awful beaucracy you have to drop Catholicism to appease the lunacy of the student union.

8. Petros

Step 1: Enact the Rabz doctrine.

Speaking of malevolence:

Why is the ATO “investigating” Folau’s church to make sure none of their money goes towards his defence?

10. Blair

How sad. Queenslanders voted for banks and not hospitals.

Forget the Russians, it was divine intervention.

Let’s see their ABC prosecute that one.

God Trumps Gaia.

12. Woolfe

Woke up to this! Hallelujah!

2KY interrupted the race coverage with the news.

14. Viva

Scott Morrison asked God to bless Australia.

He just has.

15. Entropy

What is astonishing me is the building narrative that the ALP had the right policies, and the lesson for next time is to keep those policies and not tell the unwashed what those policies are, so they are free to implement whatever they want once in power. And then they wonder why the people hate the political class. Actually they don’t wonder, they don’t care.

For the LNP lesson is surely to build on policies that further expand their vote in the lifter states of Qld, NSW and WA. And work on showing the leaner states there is a better way.

16. Perfidious Albino

Today, we spell redemption S-C-O-M-O…

How sad. Queenslanders voted for banks and not hospitals.

Queenslanders voted for jobs.

18. min

Suggest all those with kids who are having anxiety attacks re climate , move to a country where there are no coal fired Power stations, no nuclear, all renewables . Zimbabwe may fill the bill .

Yes, which means their next election campaign will be built on Anthony Albanese’s charisma.

20. min

Or do not forget Venezuela no problem with fossil fuel energy there

21. Norm der Ploom

My suggestion to the LNP. Give Warringah nothing over the next three years.

22. Thinking of my son and his little friends and crying with joy over Australia saved from the bullshitten world voters were almost about to leave him.

Sounds better.

23. Ƶĩppʯ (ȊꞪꞨV)

We are ruined, the world will fry in a hell hole of climate revenge for daring not to vote for marxism.

The end is upon us!

f*ck off marxist deadhsits.

24. nb

Rafe Champion #3017832, posted on May 19, 2019 at 7:56 am

The Drum, directly afterwards, was even better. Clueless commentariate with nary a word of sense between the lot of them, all horrified. I put this gem on JoNova at the time:

Commentator on ABC ‘Drum’ at about 12.35am tells us we have only 11 1/2 years to live.
    ‘It’s really serious science’ she says.
    The 12 years comes from AOC, who initially probably just meant that we had 12 years to deal with it to prevent disaster further down the track, though it was ambiguous, for sure. She subsequently copped heaps of flack for it. So on 13/05/2019 · #AOC recants: ‘…world ending in 12 years due to climate change’ – it was “a joke”.
    What does that tell us about the ABC’s relationship with ‘really serious science’? A joke. Literally a joke, according to AOC. Shame on the ABC and its super-dumb commentators.
    Oh, and why would I dream of watching the ABC. I don’t usually, but the opportunity to see them squirm tonight is just too tempting. For the election coverage itself I flicked between Cat comments and comments on The Poll Bludger (left wing). The first call for the Lib win was on Poll Bludger, with stunned horror, at around 7.21pm, firming by around 7.40.

25. Spall

The Jane Caros, Margot Kingstons et al typify the tone and standard of analysis to which our kids are being exposed. Not only on climate change. I think at some level my own know these people are ratbags but if you’re young you also think “but they must be sorta kinda right ‘cos they’re on all these kinda sorta important panels on TV, like David Attenborough”.

Will they (Caro etc) (1) sit back, reflect and become a bit humble,measured, transformed and wise, or (2) wither on the vine or (3) become more colourfully indignant on the Keating bluster model, with Soros, ABC, Fairfax etc providing the podiums?

26. Y

Trump, Brexit, Scomo

Haha haha haha. Why Brexit?? It’s like an incantation now for these people.

The folksy everyman who enjoys a happy ending?

28. lotocoti

Queenslanders voted for banks and not hospitals.

Jerbs not feelz.

Jeebus, I’d better set my watch.
    Asteroid?

30. a happy little debunker

‘Massive scare campaign’ – claimed the parties of climate ’emergencies’
    ‘Clive’s advertising’ – claimed the parties to ‘getup’
    ‘the end of big target policy’ – claims leftist MSM
    ‘what retiree’s tax?’ – claims a sour faced Barrie Cassidy

So many excuses, so little self awareness

31. Muddy

At the risk of slapping awake the enthralled in the middle of an apathygasm, we aren’t celebrating a conservative win. No lesson was firmly sent to the Liberals, and thus nothing will be learned. A treaty with our indigenous will commit tens of billions of not yet earned dollars, and the climax … I mean, climate, chunky gravy train will continue. I’m not sure about decency, but mediocrity is the new selfie: now celebrated at every opportunity as the best we are likely to get. Yesterday has delayed by perhaps a decade, any favourable opportunity for a true conservative party to get a healthy start.

32. nb

‘So many excuses, so little self awareness’ Incredibly unaware.

Muddy #3018034, posted on May 19, 2019 at 9:31 am ‘No lesson was firmly sent to the Liberals, and thus nothing will be learned’
    Well, I hope something is learned, but broadly I agree. At least we are in with a chance now, whereas the other lot winning was a danger of a different order of magnitude.

33. Behind Enemy Lines

Decency and mediocrity trump mendacity and malevolence
    Posted on 7:51 am, May 19, 2019 by Rafe Champion

I think that pretty much sums it up, Rafe.

Until last week, I thought the LibNats were going to get obliterated. However, it seems the electorate got frightened off when the incredibly smug and arrogant ALP nomenklatura started openly discussing their plans for r_ping Australia from sunrise today. I also think the Folau Effect must have hurt the left: any Australian who takes his religion (or conservative views) even the least bit seriously knew he was about to become a persecuted minority in his own country.

There’s one more factor, though, that I totally overlooked. Someone here on the Cat pointed out what should have been obvious to me. That is, in recent months the Libs have jettisoned, one way or another, the very worst of the lefty entryists who’ve made recent administrations such a mess. The rats I loathed most have already scrambled off what they thought was a sinking ship. Those who remain are on balance more deserving of a fresh go.

We’re still left with the dud policies and attitudes. So, even though I’m delighted to miss out on a Labor government full of mendacity and malevolence, I remain deeply concerned about the LibNats’ decency and mediocrity. We don’t need decency and mediocrity. We don’t them to govern ‘for all of us’. We need them to take the policy cane to the left in all its forms and sinecures, and flail and flail and flail away with it until Australia gets back to normal.

So, how do we make that happen? Serious question. How do we make sure that we don’t end up with the same wretched alternatives at the next election?

34. Percy Popinjay

what needs to be done about a few things like the national debt, politicization of education at all levels, energy, red and green tape and identity politics

The gliberals are utterly incapable of dealing with these matters in any satisfactory manner.

35. Behind Enemy Lines

Muddy
    #3018034, posted on May 19, 2019 at 9:31 am
    At the risk of slapping awake the enthralled in the middle of an apathygasm, we aren’t celebrating a conservative win. No lesson was firmly sent to the Liberals, and thus nothing will be learned. . . . Yesterday has delayed by perhaps a decade, any favourable opportunity for a true conservative party to get a healthy start.

Muddy, I agree that an electoral smashing of the LibNats would have opened the door to urgent action, and I also agree that the collective LibNats will now continue standing in the way and willfully blocking true conservatives. But if we are to make any progress, right now would seem to be the time to act, while there’s still a fluid situation and confusion galore.

36. Percy Popinjay

Heads on Pikes. Many, many of them.

37. Ƶĩppʯ (ȊꞪꞨV)

correct, all they have done is saved us from an even harder left

marxism is toxic

38. Iampeter

You’re celebrating that a bunch of environmentalist and nationalist leftists won the election?
    You do know that politics isn’t a sports game where you pick a side and celebrate your sides win, right?

I can just see you all standing around your TV’s discussing who won which seat, as if commenting on a game of footy, while thinking you’re “talking politics.”

SMH.

39. Leo G

Jeebus, I’d better set my watch.
    Asteroid?

AOC climate gluttony

40. Iampeter

A better heading for this thread would’ve been:

Malevolence and mendacity trump mendacity and malevolence.

But that would require more knowledge of the subject of politics than, “derr my teams is wonz!”

41. Poor Iampeter, can’t sit down today, coz of butthurt.

42. Dr Fred Lenin

Iampeter. Bet you are the life and soul of parties you must be the Great Austalian Whinger , never happy ,cheer up you are only on earth for a little while enjoy it , be thankfull for small mercies ,do you get depressed? You should you depress us. Lighten up !

43. Amadeus

See, there is a God after all….!!

44. Behind Enemy Lines

Percy Popinjay
    #3018115, posted on May 19, 2019 at 9:58 am

Heads on Pikes. Many, many of them.

Anybody here (close to LibNats) who can tell whether there’s any prospect of many, many heads on pikes? Is it remotely possible that enough LibNats will learn from this ‘miracle’ election? If I was ScoMo, the night of the long knives would kick off the instant I knew for sure who’d won seats in parliament.

Wonder if anyone will be crass enough to remind Chris Bowen of his words at the next A.L.P. meeting? I’d like to be a fly on the wall…

Iampeter, go and put your head up a dead bear’s arse.

Your beloved left was smashed yesterday.

There is now a faint glimmer of a chance that Australia will turn away from Eurocommunism and hitch a ride to properity on Trump’s America.

47. Rafe Champion

A nice comment from the election thread. The new member for my electorate will be an embarrassment to her supporters.

The new member for Warringah has suffered more concussions than your average prop forward.
    The more they wheel her out, the less impressive she is.
    One termer.

48. Alessio

“Queenslanders voted for banks and not hospitals.” More of the leftist claptrap, obviously someone who has taken nothing away from this routing. Typical marxist BS, tell lies often enough and people will believe you. Well id didn’t work! In my electorate of Dawson the allocation of shares was circa 67% LNP and 29% Labor. Rather than latte sipping leaners this electorate is 2/3 full of lifters, people concerned with keeping a roof over well fed children. Another nail in the coffin of the climate change hoax.

49. Shatterzzz

I hope “oor wullz” thoughts on a new USA ambassadorial role for “skeletor” may have played a small part in the downfall

50. Behind Enemy Lines

Rafe Champion
    #3018220, posted on May 19, 2019 at 10:39 am

Supporters like those are too selfish, stupid or lacking in self-awareness to be embarrassed.

51. Robbo

Sunday morning in the Turnbull house would not be happy and joyous. That two faced hypocrite Malcolm and his nasty arsehole son Alex would be feeling really upset. How good is that?

52. Behind Enemy Lines

Shatterzzz
    #3018227, posted on May 19, 2019 at 10:43 am

Abbott, High Commissioner in London.

Downer, AFP HQ in Canberra, to answer questions about espionage against the Cousins.

Skeletor, exiled on WA’s Carnac Island to live out the rest of her days among her kind.

53. hzhousewife

Just so, very telling.

54. Notafan

Yeah we never discussed Labor policy at the cat, not even once.

Gladys Lui we love you

55. Entropy

Abbott should go to Washington

I hope “oor wullz” thoughts on a new USA ambassadorial role for “skeletor” may have played a small part in the downfall

How many wagons were already on the Liars gravy train, waiting for plum jobs.

57. I will believe we are returning to God, family and Christianity when those commenting here stop the nasty attacks on those who voted Labor and Green (ie about half the country). Act on Christian principles – love your enemy, who in this case is also your neighbour – your fellow Australian.

58. Robbo

Just read in the MSM that Plibersek is likely to have a tilt at the Labor leadership job. Just what the nation needs is one of its major political Party’s being led by the wife of a convicted drug dealer.

59. Notafan

Abbott should go on the speaker’s circuit denouncing climate change mania

60. Iampeter

Abbott should go on the speaker’s circuit denouncing climate change mania

Why? He has been entirely pro climate change mania his entire political career.

I was actually going to say that some of the good outcomes of this election is it got rid of leftists like Shorten, Abbott and Anning.

Your beloved left was smashed yesterday.

Um…you and the others here are celebrating a leftist win. Not me. My butt is sore as leftists continue to dominate our politics.
    Not sure why no one elses is on what is supposed to be a right wing blog…

61. dover_beach

Horrible night for urban bugmen like IamMengele. And nobody cares.

Abbott should go to Washington

He’d be worth billions to Australia in trade deals with the world’s biggest economy — which just happens to be red hot at the moment because of the removal of red tape and lower taxes under Trump.

63. Slayer of Memes

Tanya was on ‘Insiders’ bleating about the result, and none of them had the brains (or the balls) to point out that her Would-Be Treasurer told 1 million people not to vote for the ALP…. So they didn’t.

#SucksToBeALP

64. Slayer of Memes

Tanya was on ‘Insiders’ bleating about the result, and none of them had the brains to point out that her Would-Be Treasurer told 1 million people not to vote for the ALP…. So they didn’t.

#SucksToBeALP

65. Colonel Crispin Berka

Twostix #3018231, posted on May 19, 2019 at 10:46 am
    Morrison needs to simply restore christianity to its place on the mantle. The people will abandon the hollow usurper climate change doomsday cult immediately.
    The everyman just need to feel like there’s something bigger than themselves, in the absence of christianity that has become the all powerful Climate God.

Dear Darwin I hope not. We shouldn’t substitute one theocracy for another.
    The separation of church and state is a solution to the problem of supernatural ideologies creating a double standard in application of the law and concomitant natural rights infringement and oppression. If you think modern day Christians wouldn’t do such a thing you may be right, but this is only because Christians in fact used religion to justify discriminatory violence many times before and eventually learned their lesson, not because the principle itself is fallacious. This is true regardless of whether scripture ever gave them such justifications or Christians only pretended it did. When the pretense has been at least as effective as the fact, the lack of scriptural basis can’t be used to dismiss the danger of religion determining law.

If this sudden religious exuberance for ScoMo has nothing to do with him as PM altering the law to suit Christians, I have to ask, who died and made ScoMo the Pope? How is he in any way the moral, spiritual, and pragmatic guru of the nation? People voted for the Liberals’ differential policy advantage, not ScoMo’s religion. Christianity did not get a mandate last night.

Please realise, for the agnostic majority of this nation hearing their new Prime Minister profess his Christianity, state he believes in miracles, and invoke a blessing from “God” is altogether just nightmarishly cringey. If you don’t understand that, just imagine the new Prime Minister was a Mohammedan and said in his victory speech that he wished Allah to smile on Australia and provide it with prosperity, and now you know what ScoMo sounded like last night.

Also, Christopher Hitchens argued this case better than I ever could.

66. Colonel Crispin Berka

Oh great, my comment is in moderation, probably because I used the M word. And the A word too. Completely forgot about the double standard of censorship here which allows Twostix to talk about his deity and religion all day every day with impunity but one mention of big Al’ and it’s straight to comment gulag.

Just another reason we should be fixing 18c – another issue which the Fiberals never did squat about.

67. The Quiet Farmer

Do any Cats know if the Libs who lost seats were true climate believers? That should send a message to the party HQ??

68. Iampeter

Sounds very sane.
    I mean, bringing religious nonsense into politics has worked out so well for the Middle East, right?
    Most sane place on earth.

Hey Rafe, remember yesterday how you were concerned with religious nutters?

Now you’re relieved that they have won office in our country?

69. Squirrel

“Decency and mediocrity trump mendacity and malevolence”

That’s how it looks, and (at the risk of drawing a rather long bow) so we’ve had a burst of Billy Hughes, Mark 2, Stanley Bruce Mark 2, and now what looks like some Joe Lyons Mark 2 – which may be just what we need.

70. Tony Tea

I don’t think Clem et al realise how their ceaseless carping, abuse and criticism plays out. The more they complain about the country, the more elections the conservatives will win.

71. amortiser

Go read the commentary over at Poll Bludger about Queensland voters. Great exemplars of Christian Charity are those people.

Btw it’s very entertaining to see the wailing and gnashing of teeth. Almost biblical.

72. dover_beach

Gobbledygook.

73. jupes

That is gold.

74. Tim Neilson

Hopefully our Robert Menzies mark 2 is rising through the ranks.

75. Tim Neilson

Christianity did not get a mandate last night.

True, but I think that sneering anti-Christianity took a hit.

Shorten’s vilification of ScoMo’s beliefs no doubt went down a treat inside the goat’s cheese curtain which is 80%+ loony left anyway, but it wouldn’t have played so well in Blackburn or Mitcham or equivalent suburbs in outer Sydney where elections are decided.

76. Colonel Crispin Berka

Fine. I was not following, indeed studiously avoiding, the pre-election mudslinging and propaganda. I confess I was unaware of two pertinent facts prior to today:
    1) That ScoMo was an out-of-the-closet Christian.
    2) That Shorten had vilified him for it.

In that light, ScoMo’s victory speech might have been momentary overcompensating for previous insults.

77. Iampeter

It’s more that today’s Christians don’t understand or take their religion seriously enough. They have learnt no lessons.
    They live entirely modern and sinful lives. For now at least.
    If they took religion seriously, well, then there wouldn’t be anyone flying planes into skyscrapers that’s for sure. Because neither planes nor skyscrapers would exist.

Most people who are “Christian” today are religious at the level of someone reading a fortune cookie is religious.
    They turn to religion in this superficial manner because they need to numb their minds to the terror they feel every day at having to deal with the real world.

That takes a lot less effort than developing thinking minds.

Yea but conservatives don’t know anything about politics so spend a lot of their time talking about religion in this superficial manner. They’re just role-playing what they think “political discourse” sounds like.

2) That Shorten had vilified him for it.

You can’t “vilify” people by pointing to their kooky and bad beliefs.
    Would you say conservatives on this blog are “vilifying” environmentalist beliefs?

78. dover_beach

Oh, the irony having IamMengele accusing Christians of superficiality given his entirely superficial knowledge of history and philosophy. Physician, heal thyself!

Are you a Christian, Iampeter?

80. Tim Neilson

They live entirely modern and sinful lives.

Why shouldn’t they live “modern’ lives? There’s nothing in the bible against taking advantage of modern technology.

Sinful? Everyone falls short of the perfection that is God’s standard. Unless you’re claiming to be perfect Iamashiteater? It’s a fundamental basis of Christian belief that becoming a Christian doesn’t immediately make you perfect , it just helps you to understand that you aren’t.
    So it should hardly be a surprise that Christians are ‘sinful’ in an absolute sense. But relatively my experience is that they’re in general considerable better people than society’s average.

You really are ignorant aren’t you. Anyone with the most basic understanding of Christianity knows that there’s nothing incompatible between Christianity and technological advancement.

How do you know? Have you personally spoken to a majority of the world’s Christians?

You can’t “vilify” people by pointing to their kooky and bad beliefs.

Given that ScoMo had declined to comment except to say that he respected the rule of law and its consequent empowerment of gays, why isn’t Shorten’s verballing of him vilification?