Turning the tide of climate alarmism

Climate zombies are on the march all over the world from Warringah to Washington DC and London where they threaten to close Heathrow when the holidays start. But in the adult world the climate is becoming chilly for alarmism. This collation of news from the Global Warming Policy Forum indicates that realism is biting, especially in Europe where various Green parties have driven suicidal climate policies for decades.

1) After Election Drubbing, Massive Opposition To Coal Exit In Ruling CDU Party
Die Tagesschau, 31 May 2019

2) Cold Feet: Germany’s ‘Climate Cabinet’ Delays Action Again
Deutsche Welle, 30 May 2019

3) After Election Defeat, Queensland’s Labor Government Paves Way For Huge New Coal Mine
Australian Associated Press, 31 May 2019

4) Green Dole: Renewable Energy Jobs Plunge By A Third
The Guardian, 30 May 2019

5) Climate Activists Threaten Holiday Chaos As They Vow To Shut Down Heathrow Airport
Daily Mail, 31 May 2019

6) Scotland Yard To Charge 1,100 Climate Rebels For London Shut-Down
Evening Standard, 25 May 2019

7) Will Climate Hysteria Cost U.S. Democrats The Next Elections?
David Harsanyi, The Federalist, 30 May 2019

8) And Finally: What if Green Energy Isn’t the Future?
Mark P Mills, The Wall Street Journal, 20 May 2019

See Alan Moran’s Climate News for June. Packed with information and graphic illustrations.

A speech by Greta Thunberg. I can’t say I have viewed it because my stomach is too weak to watch child abuse in public.

Ending on the upside, the world grain harvest is heading for a record yield although some Australian farmers are doing it tough.

AS NORTHERN hemisphere crops near the start of their harvest in late May and June, the USDA’s latest World Agricultural Supply and Demand Estimates (WASDE) have generated a global wheat production forecast of a record 777 million tonnes (Mt) – 46Mt greater than the previous year – which will recharge coffers depleted by last year’s smaller crops.

The greatest turnaround in wheat production forecasts in 2019-20 among major exporters will occur in the EU, where a 17Mt increase is forecast, and Australia, Canada, Russia and Ukraine are all expected to harvest 3-5Mt more wheat this year than in 2018-19.

USDA forecasts Australia’s new-crop wheat production at 22.5Mt, up from 17.3Mt in the 2018-19 marketing year.

The increase in production will lead in 2019-20 to higher trade, consumption and stocks, all of which were cut in 2018-19 by below-trend world crops, moves which drove prices higher over most of the marketing year.

This entry was posted in Global warming and climate change policy, Rafe. Bookmark the permalink.

21 Responses to Turning the tide of climate alarmism

1. Tony Heller always has some climate alarmism to debunk:

2. Old School Conservative

As a small example of the indoctrination of our youth, my Year 11 grand-daughter points to Greta Thunberg’s emotion as proof of Climate Change. She “learned” this from her Geography teacher.
    She also claims my arguments against the scam of CC can’t be true because I haven’t been to school for 50 years.

I think she’s running out of facts.
    I will win this one.

3. Mark M

Hmm … “What if green energy isn’t the future” …

The choice between Warren Buffett and Al Gore for investment advice is not even close.

Warren Buffett’s Berkshire Hathaway Inc. will invest $10 billion in Occidental Petroleum Corp. to help the oil producer in its $38 billion bid for Anadarko Petroleum Corp.

4. Muddy

Destroy. Then build on the ashes, posing as a messiah.

5. a happy little debunker

When the legislators (and the journalists) do not know how much CO2 is actually in the atmosphere or how much man has contributed to that amount and ‘scientists’ cannot offer empirical evidence showing how this change has affected climate – then the tide has not turned.

This is a long term knock down dragged out fight.

The Scientific Method is the only valid measure.

6. bespoke

Wow, Give her a list of climate scares you’v lived through.

7. My 11yr. old grand daughter informed me on the way home from school that coal was going to kill the earth. I told her that if Australia didn’t mine coal and send it overseas that we wouldn’t be able to have hospitals, schools and lots of other things that Australians need and like.
    Plus did she know that poor people in India cook with dried cow dung, oh she said, the teacher didn’t tell us all of that.

8. Behind Enemy Lines

Turning the tide of climate alarmism
    Posted on 7:57 am, June 1, 2019 by Rafe Champion

I can’t say I have viewed [the speech by Greta Thunberg] because my stomach is too weak to watch child abuse in public.

Nice one, Rafe. This is how we’ll eventually win (no sarcasm intended here). The left has had decades of success because they treat their pet issues as emotional morality plays with the right cast as villains from the very start. Of course it’s still essential to have intelligent fact-based arguments among ourselves, and people willing to listen and think. But in terms of mass politics, the emotional morality play approach will continue to set the rules of the game and then win the public ‘debate’ every time.

In that sort of environment, ‘child abuse’ certainly trumps ‘denialism’. Better yet, it’s actually true.

Sure, it would be nice if we could live in an intelligent, logical and honest world. But so long as we have to deal with the left, we’re just going have to do what it takes.

9. Nato

This post made me smile.
    Remember Peter Garrett talking about the difference between political realities and rock star activism?.
    These losers in government are genuine bums and chronic failures.

10. Muddy

Behind Enemy Lines
    #3031729, posted on June 1, 2019 at 12:23 pm
    we’re just going have to do what it takes.

Ab-so-freeking-lootly.
    Yet we won’t.
    Because in all of this, WE are the slow learners; the no-learners.
    We are the Neanderthals.
    Evolve or perish.
    We cannot or will not, admit it, but we have already chosen our future.
    The irony of being devoured by our successes (and successors)…

WAKE UP Fossils!

11. Behind Enemy Lines

Muddy
    #3031868, posted on June 1, 2019 at 3:43 pm
    Behind Enemy Lines
    #3031729, posted on June 1, 2019 at 12:23 pm
    we’re just going have to do what it takes.

Ab-so-freeking-lootly.
    Yet we won’t.

I am quietly wondering whether this will continue to be true. Perhaps I’m fooling myself, but I’m starting to develop a certain amount of quiet optimism. Granted, the country’s been run for the benefit of a hostile, condescending, selfish minority of political- and business activists for quite some time now – but I sense that ordinary legacy Australians are finally getting militantly sick of it. Individuals are standing up. Perhaps others will stand up too, in larger and larger numbers. Maybe I’ll even stand up myself. And maybe something bigger will come of all this.

If it’s time for a good old political ding-dong, Israel Folau and fellows like him are better leaders than either Morrison or Albanese.

12. Muddy

I wish I shared your quiet optimism, B.E.L. However none of the apathy and passivity of the last three decades has suggested to me that change will miraculously occur without a force of some kind to propel it. Australia does not have the history of civil strife required to relight the torch, and we are too fearful that those who hunt us will frown disapprovingly just prior to the gutting.

No, we will huddle with our self-loathing and moral flatulence, and meekly await Year Zero.
    Future generations will regard us as flaccid invertebrates, if they regard us at all.

13. Behind Enemy Lines

Muddy
    #3031918, posted on June 1, 2019 at 5:10 pm
    . . . none of the apathy and passivity of the last three decades has suggested to me that change will miraculously occur without a force of some kind to propel it.

We may have to step up, Muddy.

By complete coincidence (or so I think), yesterday I read this chap who reckons it will only take about 3.5% of the population to make a difference.

14. Muddy

An interesting link, B.E.L. However, I don’t believe that simply gathering/persuading a requisite percentage of the population to hold up placards in public will force the change required. I’m sticking to my belief that without weakening the supporting or enabling structures, direct demands will get us nowhere. History shows us that the undermining of institutions and community values is the prerequisite for a successful insurgency. It is what our ideological enemies have been doing, slowly, for decades, and it is working. While we on the ‘right’ (I dislike that phrase, but cannot think of an appropriate replacement) congratulate ourselves for our moral superiority, our enemies, the Year Zeros, are getting the job done. I don’t mean that we must discard our morality, but that we need to stop blinding ourselves with our moral reflection, thinking that is what elevates us. Our echo chambers are as active as those we deride, yet theirs expand, contract, travel, link with, or subsume others; ours are static remnants: diving bells of nostalgia.

*Sigh*

15. Behind Enemy Lines

Muddy
    #3032080, posted on June 1, 2019 at 7:37 pm
    . . . History shows us that the undermining of institutions and community values is the prerequisite for a successful insurgency. It is what our ideological enemies have been doing, slowly, for decades, and it is working. While we on the ‘right’ (I dislike that phrase, but cannot think of an appropriate replacement) congratulate ourselves for our moral superiority, our enemies, the Year Zeros, are getting the job done. I don’t mean that we must discard our morality, but that we need to stop blinding ourselves with our moral reflection, thinking that is what elevates us. Our echo chambers are as active as those we deride. . . .

I agree. But the institutions and community values are largely theirs now – thoroughly undermined, and therefore fragile. Ripe for a counterattack. For a start, I’m no collectivist, but since the public mood is for redistribution, then there’s a lot of leftwing assets to redistribute to our allies-in-waiting. Are we stuck (for now) with Big Government and ‘fairness’? Very well. Let’s take the benefits of Big Government and fairness away from the left and shower them on our side for once. Watch what happens to the vote when mums in regional Australia get $3ok for that second child.

Also, I agree 110% on ‘the right’. Very unsatisfactory as a description, for many reasons. I’d like to punt the self-appointed ‘right’ off the end of the dock as soon as I’ve finished with the self-anointed ‘left’. For now, though, we seem stuck with it as shorthand for something better.

16. wretch

We’ve got Al Gore in Brisbane next week conducting “climate training” for anyone who’d like to pay to attend. Convention Centre paid for by Qld Labor government because they like to put on “events”. The scheme was Bill gets elected, Al Gore pops into town to hector us, Adani gets canned, on track for 50% renewables blahblahblah. Happily, reality has squished that scenario and October 2020 can’t come soon enough.

17. Dr Fred Lenin

The solution to the “climate disaster “scam is total removal of all taxpayer funding ,every cent ,watch it die quickly ,nothing defeats socialist global fascism quicker that shortage of OPM . Remembr flimflammery when Abbot folded uo his $300 k a year job ,forming another climate disaster propaganda group using public subscription from fellow climateers,lasted no time at all ,socialists dont do charity or altruism ,dont rattle a charity donation tin at a socialist function , and you will get nothing .

18. Ros

A Swedish girl who refused to join her classmates in skipping school for the sake of the climate has ended up being labelled as a “climate denier”, which her mother described as “mass psychosis”.

A high-school pupil who refused to attend a so-called “school strike for climate” has been bullied not only by her classmates, but the teacher as well, the magazine Det Goda Samhället reported.

When the girl’s classmates decided to join the “climate strike” spearheaded by teenage activist-turned-superstar Greta Thunberg, “Sanna” declared she didn’t want to attend and was given a tongue-lashing from the teacher.

“The teacher said ‘Sanna’ was uncommitted and failed to understand the seriousness of the climate threat. She asked her to reconsider her decision, and she said it openly, for the entire class to hear. ‘Sanna’ felt like the teacher was trying to ridicule her in front of the others”, “Lena”, the girl’s mother, told Det Goda Samhället.

Because of the teacher’s actions, the rest of the class also turned against “Sanna”, who ended up being boycotted by her own friends and accused of being a “climate denier”, “Lena” recalled.

When the mother called the school’s administration, she herself was questioned by the female principal.

“She said it was sad that ‘Sanna’ went against the rest of the class and refused to participate in something this positive. I could read between the lines that she thought I had a wrong attitude myself”, “Lena” explained.

The mother called the situation a “mass psychosis” and said it was “very unpleasant”.

19. Climate change had been the topic of the century, politicians use to gain a lot in this propaganda.