Tuesday Forum: June 18, 2018

2,505 Responses to Tuesday Forum: June 18, 2018

1. Cassie of Sydney

I never thought I would ever be on the side of John Setka…but I am when it comes to this whole saga. Strange times…..strange world.

2. JABL

Just thought I would jump ahead on the question of that acquittal in Cairns of the Teacher who had sex with her 16 year old student.

First age of consent in Qld is sixteen whether or not one person is a teacher (that is NSW and other States).

Second consent was not the issue at trial. The issue was whose idea it was hence the line of questioning and address by the defence counsel. That is because the woman was charged under S217 of the Criminal Code Qld which provides:

217Procuring young person etc. for carnal knowledge

(1)A person who procures a person who is not an adult or is a person with an impairment of the mind to engage in carnal knowledge (either in Queensland or elsewhere) commits a crime.

Maximum penalty—imprisonment for 14 years.

(1A)The Penalties and Sentences Act 1992, section 161Q states a circumstance of aggravation for an offence against this section.

(1B)An indictment charging an offence against this section with the circumstance of aggravation stated in the Penalties and Sentences Act 1992, section 161Q may not be presented without the consent of a Crown Law Officer.

(2)In this section—

procure means knowingly entice or recruit for the purposes of sexual exploitation.

The circ agg is in no way relevant. So the issue is not whether they did it but whether she enticed or recruited the complainant. And yes on its face unless 16 & 17 year olds are very careful an otherwise consensual encounter might run afoul of this provision.

Normal ignorance of the law may now resume

3. Siltstone

bespoke
    #3046907, posted on June 19, 2019 at 8:42 pm
    Siltstone

62 Million years or 62 calendar years? Why say you?

4. Armadillo

Setkaback

c/- Herodotus

6. Old Lefty

Setka’s court case is telling: thirty of the 31 charges seem to have disappeared into thin air. Victorian justice at work again?

Any word on Ms Walters’s legal fate after being breathalised more than five times over the limit with kids in the back? Or, for that matter, of the fate of the copper who booked her? (Last seen directing non-existent traffic at the intersection of the remotest dirt roads in the Mallee?)

I suspect popcorn sales here in Oz have been good over the last week with the Setka/Albo stoush….

But will there be a “happy ending”?

8. bespoke

62 calendar years because I can.

9. Siltstone

Cassie of Sydney
    #3046910, posted on June 19, 2019 at 8:46 pm

I’m not under a 70 y.o. – or even a 60 y.o.

11. Notafan

JABL

Thank you.

That means if Qld want to prosecute teachers etc for having sex with their students they need to pass similar legislation to other states.

And as you say anyone getting with 16 17 year olds runs the risk of falling afoul of these these grooming laws.

12. bespoke

FPV and hotter girls.

13. Siltstone

bespoke
    #3046918, posted on June 19, 2019 at 8:54 pm
    62 calendar years because I can.

too close for comfort…

14. Armadillo

Lawn bowls has the good sense to try and get the cash out of the Sheliahs branch of it. They are loaded with cash. It’s just a matter of prying it from their wrinkly greedy hands.

15. Cassie of Sydney

“Armadillo
    #3046914, posted on June 19, 2019 at 8:47 pm
    Bespoke, lay off Black Ball and the lawn bowls. Best sport ever. Name another sport where you can drink, smoke and sledge whilst actually participating.”

Chess.

16. Ƶĩppʯ (ȊꞪꞨV)

But will there be a “happy ending”?

I think the question is who will get the happy ending

17. Cassie of Sydney

“Siltstone
    #3046919, posted on June 19, 2019 at 8:54 pm
    Me too Cassie. Where is the actual evidence that he said what he is alleged to have said about (batty) Batty?”

And even if he did say something “mean” about St Rosie of Yarragrad….so fucking what.

18. Frank

Pot black, darts.

19. Armadillo

FPV and hotter girls.

Bullshit. You can’t drink and smoke with a helmet on. I’ll concede on the Sheliah bit. Try again.

20. Knuckle Dragger

I was talking about this (the Assistant Commissioner beating) today with some people.

I mentioned the other day the rozzers routinely get free public transport, but that the unspoken cost is if shit happens in front of you, you stick your neck in and sort it. If you can’t for whatever reason, including that you’re 60 years old, you pay your way like everybody else.

My understanding is that the two pillocks had already been booted from the train by the transit coppers and/or protective service people. I don’t know whether that was the top cop’s stop as well, and I also don’t know what he was hoping to gain by following them. If it was the actual cops hauling them off the train they could (and should) have booked them for offensive behaviour in public, insulting language and square dancing in a round house. But they didn’t, and nothing would have changed that.

Situational awareness alone should have dictated that he not follow them anywhere. The chasing coppers love to come in heavy, but for their own reasons – not necessarily because the victim’s a boss who may have found he can’t physically do what he used to 30 years back.

And you’re dead right LL. What he does for a job shouldn’t matter. If it was Fred the 60 year old bottlo worker owner going home no-one, rightly or wrongly would have heard shit about it. What he’s done for sure though, is load up one of his worker bees with three lots of paperwork.

21. JABL

Not a problem Notafan I hadn’t seen your link when I posted.

I would also add that whether it was a crime is a separate question to whether she is a fit and proper person to be a teacher in Queensland which is a matter for the Queensland College of Teachers.

Also there is a specific other offence for having consensual intercourse with a child under 16 so in practice S217 is reserved for cases involving 16 & 17 year olds.

Infidel Tiger

#3046903, posted on June 19, 2019 at 8:41 pm

The truth is that we need lots more cops, journos and hopefully a few politicians to be very badly bashed.

It’s the only way to get righteousness back.

You gave me a smack here a while back for elevating plod above plebs in matters of assault by the general public.
    I am suitably chastened and have had my “come to Jesus” moment on this.
    I am totally fucking disgusted with the shock-horror response to this off-duty Plod having the living suitcase beaten out of him when this happens 20 times a day to ordinary people who are told to suck it up … through a straw.

23. struth

Old chook who was complaining about the drought sending her broke decides to take a five thousand dollar tour to see lake Eyre with water in it.
    And tben complain to me about being broke.
    Has the self awareness of numbers.
    Seriously.

24. Armadillo

Pot black, darts.

Pubs and clubs where you can actually have a smoke whilst playing would be few and far between.

25. P

It’s a young man’s game now bespoke! I am 41, been playing for 15 years.

I’ve seen many younger than you enjoying themselves on weekends at the Marrickville Bowlo where our family often congregate for birthdays etc. It’s good to see the young as well as many oldies (even older than me) drinking and smoking outside on the tables or trestles in front of the bowling green.
    My youngest grandchild is still suffering acute car sickness and as he lives close by it’s not only convenient for us but also good value for good food.

26. Armadillo

At least with lawn bowls, it’s pretty easy to exclude the Sheliahs. You just call it an “Open Men’s Pairs” or “Open Men’s Triples”. Ask the Sheliahs to make sandwiches so they feel “included”.

Do the Sheliahs make sandwiches for darts and blackball?

27. Armadillo

Ask the Sheliahs to make sandwiches so they feel “included”.

Damn autocorrect. That should have read “TELL the Sheliahs….”

28. BrettW

I see the CFMMEU WA leadership is backing Setka, The hypocrisy is staggering. Very big on being anti DV but not such a problem if one of their own leaders involved.

A few years ago Luke Collier, a NSW organisor, was in trouble and needed to move out of the state. By co-incidence the timing was around the time of the Labur conference where Joe McDonald gave a stirring speach against DV. Rosie Batty was at the conference. The next day the story ran that Collier would be working for the Union in WA. This was just after the court case below being dropped.

The below is a summary taken from Michael Smiths page from 2015.

“Luke Collier has a criminal record. He has a record of intimidating women. He recently moved from Sydney to Western Australia and is proving difficult to find.

Earlier this year, Collier pleaded guilty to a charge of assault. His victim was a woman. He was scheduled to appear in court on Monday on multiple charges, including aggravated assault, involving the same woman.

Collier was charged after police were called to St George Hospital last year to interview a woman with a broken arm and multiple bruises. She had told hospital staff she had been assaulted by her boyfriend. She named Collier.

Police took sworn statements from the alleged victim. The woman said Collier had threatened, stalked and beaten her on multiple occasions. Police took photographs of her injuries, and obtained medical records.

The woman agreed to press charges. She ended her relationship with Collier.

That the charges have now been withdrawn, without admission, creates a bad enough impression of failure but the story gets uglier.

Collier is an official for the Construction Forestry Mining and Energy Union. His conduct has received plenty of attention in the royal commission into union corruption.

The majority of CFMEU members get on with their work but elements of the union engage in intimidation, violence and other criminal activities. Coercion is a systemic problem in the construction industry.

The royal commission into union corruption, under former High Court justice Dyson Heydon, has published evidence of Collier’s intimidation of women on work sites on several occasions.

In another complaint, he has been accused by a female government official of spitting at her on a work site last year. Collier’s right of entry to work sites has been suspended. He has criminal convictions dating back to 2003. His conduct is part of a pattern of harassment of women by CFMEU officials.

An obvious inference can be drawn that the witness felt intimidated. Even if there was not overt coercion or inducement to drop her complaint, she felt sufficiently intimidated, or compromised, or exhausted to proceed.

In criminal cases, police do not need the victim to take a matter to court if there is multiple objective evidence, and sworn statements. They can pursue a court action without testimony from the victim. But in this case, with the woman not showing up for court, a police inspector felt that, without the defence being able to cross examine the alleged victim, the case would fail.

In exchange for withdrawing the charges, Collier agreed to a 12-month Apprehended Violence Order. Upon hearing this, the magistrate was clearly bemused, listing all the charges that has been withdrawn”.

Any charity associated with these thugs should not be supported by the public as they only use it as a method to get good PR.

29. Robber Baron

When l was a lad in the 70’s and caught the train home at night from the city on the Epping line in Melbourne, it was a regular occurance that the Abboriginal roaming gangs would pick on unsuspecting people, shake them down for some coin and give them a beating. At first sight of these gangs l would avoid all eye contact and as soon as the train stopped at the next station l would get off, run to a different carriage and keep doing this until l got to my station. It seems nothing has changed in 40 years. Thugs still roam the network.

30. Bruce in WA

The state-of-the-art Udav handgun, described as one of the most powerful pistols in the world

BS … it’s a 9mm poodle shooter!

31. Bruce in WA

Is poker a sport?

Depends where you’re trying to poker.

“Poker in the front, liquor in the rear.”

32. Cassie of Sydney

“Ask the Sheliahs to make sandwiches so they feel “included”.”

I’ll make martinis.

33. Armadillo

Is poker a sport?

If it’s not, it should be.

34. Knuckle Dragger

Reasons to go to Queensland:

1. My son lives there.
    2. The Palm Beach Currumbin Sports Club.
    3. The Goondiwindi truck stop.

Reasons not to go to Queensland:

4. Ex-Mrs KD, aka The Skank, lives there.
    5. Retarded legislation.
    6. Four Leaf Tayback and his Plenary Council of Social Awkwardness is there.

35. Frank

Apparently rock fishing is a sport so poker may well be. You could probably get a skinful and smoke a packet of fags while slandering the catch come to think of it.

36. Perfidious Albino

I wonder if the AFL had been sitting on the Jayden Stephenson betting thing for a few weeks, but then found they needed a distraction squirrel this week? (he did the right thing by fessing up and taking it on the chin though).

37. bespoke

You can’t drink and smoke with a helmet on

Humans use goggles arma and I can.

This is all to entice Dot to go outside and get some sun.

Bruce in WA
    #3046947, posted on June 19, 2019 at 9:17 pm

BS … it’s a 9mm poodle shooter!

Read the range of ammo it can use.
    (or get a compound bow❤😊)

39. Armadillo

I’ll make martinis.

That’s the spirit. Not sure the old ducks at the Bowlo will be impressed with your “new fangle dangle” ideas. The blokes will think you are an absolute angel.

40. Knuckle Dragger

Shit.

I though FPV stood for Ford Performance Vehicles, and was about to decry it as a pastime undertaken by skinny bogans infused with cans of Woodstock bourbon and cola.

Now I still don’t know what it means, but clearly its worse than what I thought. Flying competitions using drones bought at K Mart with the token geek chick in attendance.

I must buy stock in whoever makes participation ribbons.

41. bespoke

You got Woodstock bourbon and cola correct but that’s all, KD. 👍

One window to our hotel room overlooks fairly mature gumtrees. Thank God as I’m really homesick and wanted the feeling of being home 🙂

43. Knuckle Dragger

Looked it up.

The radio control weenies call themselves ‘pilots’!

This is better than the Ansett tart from this morning.

44. P

Reasons to go to Queensland:

1. My son lives there.

All other reasons, for and against, pale against #1 “My son lives there”.

45. Armadillo

Apparently rock fishing is a sport so poker may well be.

You need to be getting Government subsidies to be considered a sport these days. At the very least, granted a licence to have poker machines.

I hear that Woolworths is selling out of pubs? Word is that machine revenues are plummeting.

46. Knuckle Dragger

Apologies, bespoke.

*chortle*

47. Gab

My =keybo`ard iS possEssED. ~Anyone =know how to 5fix it?

48. Armadillo

What next? Kite flying as a sport?

[Note: I too was fooled by the FPV reference. It was obviously dork language].

49. Gab, don’t worry about it until the keys start to rotate and projectile vomit green liquid.

50. Knuckle Dragger

If Woollies are selling off their pubs, that is excellent news.

There used to be eight or nine pubs here in D-town that had toppies. Now there’s two, one of which happens to be a decent four-iron away from where I now sit watching cricket.

Apparently the toppies all became bikini clad, as Woollies – despite not having any signage on them at all – wanted to project the pubs as family oriented.

I suspect the reason the pubs’ revenue is because – in Darwin at least – they appear to have gone all ‘equal opportunity’ in the bikini girl hiring process. Horrifying.

The last time I set foot in one was nearly a year ago. My mate said, ‘If I wanted to see shit tits I would’ve stayed at home’.

51. struth

Europe. ……
    Beautiful women dorky men.

52. Armadillo

My =keybo`ard iS possEssED. ~Anyone =know how to 5fix it?

Do you have an open fire place? Or an open window?

53. Gab

It w`as wor=king 5fine this morning. i come home `and xert`ain =keys `are doing weird things.

54. Bruce in WA

Read the range of ammo it can use.

” … according to the special forces officers who attended the closed tests, is similar to the American .40 S&W cartridge.”

Admittedly, 9x21mm is more powerful than 9x19mm, but the .40S&W is still only what our coppers use.

Me, I’ll have the Desert Eagle .50AE thanks. 😀

55. struth

Australian pubs becoming family orientated is as smart as going vegan at truckstops.

56. Bruce in WA

(or get a compound bow❤😊)

Got one … 70lb draw PSE

57. mh

No reports from Tailgunner.

Hmm. I hope nothing has happened to him.

58. Knuckle Dragger

Finally. An acronym I know.

PSE = Pull String Effort.

59. struth

We need to stop taking women seriously.
    It only puts them under pressure.

K.D. at 9:02.
    WTF?
    If the Dep Commish decided to tail these two fugs on his own he is a total dumb-arse. FFS, we don’t allow cops to run lone patrols in cars because safety.
    And, yes, we had a bucketload of 000’s which, coupled with CCTV from the trains could have stitched these arseholes up, but what did Transit Plod do?
    Go home and don’t do it again.

Bruce in WA
    #3046979, posted on June 19, 2019 at 9:44 pm

Me, I’ll have the Desert Eagle .50AE thanks. 😀

the one with the ten in barrel looks cool.
    200 M range eh? would have to put on my other glasses for that.

62. feelthebern

Most of the improvement in the jobs figures are part of an ongoing trend that can be attributed to the Fed’s management of the economy under Janet Yellen.

This guy taught kids?

63. Armadillo

I suspect that it has more to do with poker machine licensing regulations (at least in NSW). The people advising Woolworths have told them to get out now.

Small rural Bowlos were being offered money to “lease” their machine licences to metropolitan venues at great rates. In other words, a Sydney poker machine would turnover 100 times what a machine in Tenterfield would.

Join the dots.

64. feelthebern

Used to happen.
    Now if you are moving poker machine licences, you lose a % of them.

65. John Constantine

Vegan at truckstops?.

OLI olivers real foods seems to have survived the near broke experience and chartists claim the tealeaves read like the relentless selldown of an ‘ethical’ fund’s holdings is losing the capping effect.

Meanwhile, the major burger chains are experimenting with non-meat burger offerings.

Clean dunnies and fast, cheap non-meat burgers.

Better than impossible?.

Once a major chain offers nonmeat, nonglyphosate, nongmo burgers that work, we will see if the hippies stick with the niche bespoke burgers, or go mainstream.

The tip is that the hippfilth will tell surveys they go for the politically correct stores, while in real life they drive into Maccas.

Comrades.

66. Armadillo

The lease rate was extremely attractive only 2 years ago. The bottom has fallen out of it in the last three months.

These guys know what is about to happen.

67. Bruce in WA

200 M range eh? would have to put on my other glasses for that.

😀

Having the capacity to hit at that range and having the ability to do it are two entirely different things.

68. Armadillo

Now if you are moving poker machine licences, you lose a % of them.

That was selling them, Bern. Sell three and forfeit one to the Government.

Leasing is a different kettle of fish.

69. Armadillo

Again, join the dots.

70. Knuckle Dragger

LL,

This is, unfortunately, commonplace. I will relate a story told to me by a dear friend.

The NT Police for a number of years had the bright idea that every single copper, regardless of rank would spend ten shifts on the road. Despite warnings, the brass were all for it.

This resulted in cars with four people in them that when combined, hadn’t seen an angry man in 120 years and had an average age of about 60.

Couldn’t work the sirens out. Couldn’t pull a car over.
    Couldn’t perform a breath test. Couldn’t write a ticket.
    One attempted to arrest somebody for consorting, despite it not being an arrestable offence and was repealed fifteen years beforehand.

Another one, a big fat unit tried to take on an even bigger FIFO guy swinging haymakers at everyone on the nightclub strip. He ended up on the crook’s back, who then piggybacked him up and down the footpath until the boss was rescued by a bloke with less than a year in the trade.

The people they actually managed to arrest were almost to a man released without charge due to lack of evidence, but not until the bosses had knocked off.

And this is when they were armed and could call for help if needed (which it was). Delusions of yesteryear, unfortunately. E for effort, but it was not the Vicpol brass’ finest hour.

71. John Constantine

afl and pokie machines.

Not all social license and progressive narrative when money comes into it.

Comrades.

Hawthorn generated the most revenue from pokies in the last financial year ($24.3 million) followed by Carlton ($18.4 million), Essendon ($11.6 million), Richmond ($5.3 million) and St Kilda ($2.09 million).

It’s understood the clubs have told the AFL they’d like to sell their pokies, but don’t have viable ways to replace the revenue. The new 20 year licenses can be sold at any time.

Richmond are believed to have approached the AFL to discuss how the league could subsidise the pokies exits. The AFL, led by chairman Richard Goyder, wants to be pokies-free.

72. Armadillo

And follow the money.

73. Knuckle Dragger

And experience tells my friend that Transit Plod everywhere are not known for their eagerness to lock up dickheads, and are generally filled with people regarded as deadwood by actual working police stations.

74. Steve trickler

Learn the piano, boys.

75. feelthebern

I didn’t think monty had it in him.

76. Old School Conservative

Infidel Tiger
    #3046853, posted on June 19, 2019 at 7:55 pm
    Old people are great. It’s the Boomers we all hate.

Oi!!!
    Jimmy Connors and I are both boomers, and look at the joy we two have brought to the world of tennis.

77. Knuckle Dragger

Hashim Amla, beardy Saffa no.3 has just ticked over 8000 one-day runs. Only Kohli has done it quicker.

I propose a straight swap. Khawaja for Amla.

Of course, we’d have to throw Davey McWarnerCheat in to sweeten the deal. Kagiso Rabada can nail him to the deck in front of the net stumps and practice his chin music on him.

78. Armadillo

Reminds me of a mate watching Jeff Fenech trying to take on a “Security Guard” in the Cross, half full of piss and demanding he get “let in” because he was an Australian Champion boxer.

You don’t take a Bulldog to a Giraffe fight, especially when the Girrafe weighs four times your weight.

Knuckle Dragger
    #3046965, posted on June 19, 2019 at 9:31 pm
    Looked it up.

The radio control weenies call themselves ‘pilots’!

Ha, ha, yes.
    Used to work with a couple of Monday morning Chuck Yeagars who used to go on and on about their radio controlled feats, complete with ball-jointed wrist demos.
    These same clowns used to demean my “bug-smasher” flying at every opportunity.
    During one particularly annoying and loud Radio Controlled Biggles moment in the office I said to them “Get back to me when you’ve done all that stuff in a real aeroplane with your arse in the seat.”
    Radio silence ensues.

80. Armadillo

Let’s not be hasty. The dorks with drones might well save Australia.

81. Knuckle Dragger

Nup. You can stick flying small planes as a joke.

Been in plenty of them, but the fact I’m still here is empirical evidence that I’ve never been in charge of one.

82. John Constantine

The last time i saw a vikpol inspector scything his way through a group of fit blokes on the street was interesting.

Quite a while back, but a truckie friend and i had arranged to park up and have a late night feed together at a cafe in a small country town. we were sitting and chewing on salty fatty burnt crunchy bits when a broken down station wagon pulled in to angle park.

In a parallel parking zone.

Towing a boat on a trailer.

The unit staggered out, stumbled across the road and was cheerily laughed at in good fun by a couple of locals welcoming him to country–all in good sport among brothers of the grape.

He fished out his mobile and made a call.

The speed of the late night off duty turn out was amazing, uniforms blinking and still doing up buttons were there in minutes, the good natured sons of the soil were in the back of the divvy van, whereupon the Inspector, [ for off duty Inspector he was] flung open the doors to give them a real serve of triumph.

Then did the full lager waltz across the highway to my mate and myself to deliver the same stump speech, along the basis that we didn’t know who we were laughing at before, but he was the one laughing now.

Then he rolled back, sent an underling across to deal with us, while he ordered the bonnet of the divvy van lifted and ripped shit out the driver because he didn’t like the way the motor looked.

“just fuck off bloke” begged the rather decent local copper, ” I’ll owe you one”

Legend in his own lunchtime.

83. Steve trickler

A threesome on the CAT.

84. Knuckle Dragger

‘might save Australia’

I suppose so. Get enough of them in the air at one time and they might sort out this frightful climate business I’ve vaguely aware of.

85. Knuckle Dragger

*I’m*

Dammit.

86. Frank Walker from National Tiles

WTF? The senior copper had plebs arrested because they laughed at him for being a deadset fuckwit?

Am I reading this correctly?

Probably rooted lawyer X and discussed matters with DOCTOR Vivian Waller as well over an impossible misprision of felony…

Complete and utter xunt and why I have only minimal respect for the police.

87. Knuckle Dragger

Haha!

John C, your tale has the unmistakeable ring of truth to it.

88. Armadillo

I want to see a really cute “Dolphin Drone” packed with high explosives idle up to an enemy ship and blow it up.

More likely I’ll see it in my lifetime than the majority of other Cats. The first place the Government will cut the electricity to will be the nursing homes.

Thank L Murphy for your good fortune if considering divorce.

90. Stimpson J. Cat

Stimpson…do you like chicken soup?

I actually don’t eat soup.
    I know, I know, I understand it’s very healthy and nutritious etc etc but I for some reason I have always considered it a food for old people or the homeless.
    I love curries though.
    It’s weird the way my OCD works.
    I’m sure I’d love it one day if I was forcibly waterboarded it.
    The brain is a wonderful thing.
    😁

91. Bruce in WA

Four incidents in small planes.

1. Doing my PPL in Broome. Instructor brought us back down Cable Beach, sideslipping, so we could check out the nudes. A Navy Grumman Tracker (then stationed in Broome) went underneath us. Then reported us for flying too low!

2. Flying out to the Central Aboriginal Reserve from Kalgoorlie. On final approach in a Cessna 210 at about 200 feet when half a dozen cattle strolled out of the scrub onto the runway. All I could hear through the headphones was our pilot going, “Oh, fuck. Oh, fuck. Oh, fuck.”

3. My best mate doing his Unrestricted licence. Doing his nav flight. His mum had packed him lunch, which he ate, except for the cake, which he opened the small side-window and heaved out. Finished his flight, landed and taxied back to the flight school, to be met by the instructor with a bucket of water and a nailbrush. There was chocolate cake and icing smeared down the arse end of the plane. He had to clean it off.

4. Out of Kalgoorlie for Blackstone Ranges in a 210. Droning along when through the headphones (over the radio) came “Takka=takka-takka-takka — beware the Hun in the sun!”. One of the other local pilots — Gunther, German obviously– coming up behind us in a Cessna 310 and playing silly buggers.

92. Stimpson J. Cat

It’s hideous.

We need to stop taking women seriously.
    It only puts them under pressure.

Perfect Frightbat bait.

94. Bruce in WA

It’s hideous.

Yes, it ain’t no thing of beauty. Looks terribly unbalanced to my eye.

95. Knuckle Dragger

If I’ve got the local worker bee cops in John C’s story right, they would have taken the locals back to the station, sat them outside the clink instead of in it, given them some smokes and perhaps a few beers out of the station fridge and then driven them home when the coast was clear.

If the Inspector was a checker-upperer kinda guy – well, it’s been known to forge enough paperwork to pass casual scrutiny.

John Constantine

#3046997, posted on June 19, 2019 at 10:06 pm

afl and pokie machines.

Not all social license and progressive narrative when money comes into it

Ah, yes.
    And this is why the AFL are so keen to shut down any debate about “problem gambling” because of how much the AFL and clubs rely on the punt.
    Interesting point made by Tom Elliot on 3AW about clubs selling pokie licences. His point is that, if you suddenly decide that gambling is evil, you don’t sell your licences.
    All you are doing is capitalising future gambling profits in the sale.
    A truly repentant SJW gaming licence holder would simply relinquish their licences without compensation.
    This is the only true salvation.

97. Zyconoclast

Why did they let them in?

UK wants Pakistan to take back thousands of migrants

LONDON: Pakistan’s Foreign Minister Shah Mahmood Qureshi has said that Britain wants Pakistan to take back thousands of Pakistanis who have overstayed their visit visa in the UK and have no status but cannot be sent back to Pakistan without a proper treaty.

At a press conference in Pakistan High Commission here, the Foreign Minister said that the UK govt wants Pakistan to sign re-admission treaty so that the overstayers and others living illegally could be sent back to Pakistan. Qureshi said signing this treaty will be helpful for those Pakistanis who apply for the visit but their visas are rejected because Britain is cautious of visa applicants.

98. Knuckle Dragger

By crikey my grammar and syntax are shit tonight.

99. Bruce in WA

By crikey my grammar and syntax are shit tonight.

Is she not well?

How much tax are you paying?

100. Armadillo

At least the guy spoke English as a first language.

I’m in agreement with IT about this. Never get on a plane with a Pilot who doesn’t eat with a knife and fork.

In a situation of high stress, Pilots revert to their “native tongue”.

“Oga Booga” doesn’t quite translate the same as “Oh fuck”.

101. Knuckle Dragger

A timely comment, Bruce, given the ageism on display in recent times.

Naturally, this is all Lizzie’s fault.

102. John Constantine

Exactly, the locals weren’t processed, just got a spin in the van and dropped off home, everybody just got to practise the stoneface and nod of agreement.

This was the way things worked, even stretched a little sometimes, no point getting all wound up about it.

Go along to get along kept the place ticking for a long time.

103. Old School Conservative

From Mark’s link:
    Sometimes the judges insisted on more elaborate evidence that the couple could consummate their marriage and called for ‘Trial by Congress,’ which forced a husband and wife to attempt to copulate in front of staring, note-taking witnesses.”

I’ll never hear a reporter say “here at the US Congress” again without just the hint of a smile.

104. Shy Ted

So there we were in a 10 seater prop plane, taxiing on the Learmonth, Exmouth runway on our way to Onslow for the medical outreach clinic, accelerating when suddenly, bang, and a big blood spatter on the windscreen. Pilot pulled over for inspection and found a kangaroo with half a bloody tale lying there. Drs leapt out, stitched it up, plane intact and off we went. It was the local aerodrome roo which was just a bit too friendly and hung around for no clear reason. Always there at every subsequent trip getting round in a gentle fashion being unable to bound with half a tale. About 2005 IIRC. Beautiful flight over the gulf, full of nature’ aquatic marvels doing what they do, clear as crystal in the water. Cracking fishing on the Ningaloo Reef, ate really well that year.

105. Bruce in WA

Brilliant stuff.

106. Armadillo

I’d suggest there might be more to it than that. At least in NSW anyway. The ACT in particular, and the way unions raise their funds, distribute them, and they all of a sudden end up in donations to the ALP.

Poker machines are the means, and the ends. Clean money. Bookmakers are “old hat” (except the corporates). It’s why you won’t see independent interstate bookmakers in a ring within a year. Local Independants bookmakers will be gone within 5 years.

My hunch is that the Liberals/Nationals might have actually woken up to what is happening.

107. Infidel Tiger

Pablo Escobar hated cocaine, so he sold it all.

Ha, ha, Bruce.
    “H.M. Customs” (aka the CFI at the flying club) had total search rights for all flights returning from King Island.
    No crayfish allowed.
    Any slight leakage into the cabin of an aircraft which might be closed up for weeks could get ugly.
    The other one was the guy who was busting for a piss mid-flight and is looking around for a receptacle.
    He finds a chamois container and takes a whizz into it.
    All good.
    Except the chamois container has a tiny 2mm air vent hole in the bottom.
    He holds his finger over the hole for a few minutes, trying to do flying, radio etc with the other hand.
    Eventually he decides he can empty the container out through the little 75mm flap window to the left of the pilot.
    Result?
    A fine atomised spray of urine through the entire cabin.

109. Bruce in WA

Flying home to Perth from Bali. Came in on final approach … then “missed approach” — full power and off again. Went all the way to bloody Exmouth. Landed. Sunday morning — no fuel for plane. Woke someone up to bring out a pump.

No you can’t get off the plane — no Customs or Immigration here.

Couple of hours later, from the pilot, “Ladies and Gentlemen, I’m sorry to tell you, this crew is out of hours, a new crew will be flown up from Perth”.

No food left, no bottled water left — just beer. So four yobbos getting pissed beyond belief. (Why the hell didn’t they cut them off?)

Six hours after landing we take off and land at Perth. Response from airline? “Adelaide was overloaded, so — basically — stiffski shitski”.

110. Armadillo

Naturally, this is all Lizzie’s fault.

Yes. You can’t just talk about “perky breasts” and going to dance classes and stuff , without perhaps disclosing you are 76. I’m pretty sure it’s all true. It’s only the Gravitar that’s misleading (maybe).

I regularly get called “road kill” and insulted here because of who I am. Posters even suggest recipes for me (mainly including “me”). Meh.

Aviation confession which might upset a few Cats.
    I had a number of different flying instructors, but the best by far was a female. She didn’t rant and rave or nit-pick, but kept in-flight instruction to a minimum … simple clear direction and only intervening if I was seriously fucking up. Detailed criticism was held over until the post-flight.

As it should be.

112. Infidel Tiger

That sounds like the opposite of every female in history.

113. max

Francesca Cumani adds nothing to racing. She should be sacked for telling us nothing we can’t see for ourselves.

114. Armadillo

Amelia Earhart was a feminist hero because she managed to work out the control panel.

It didn’t end well.

Infidel Tiger

#3047050, posted on June 19, 2019 at 11:53 pm

That sounds like the opposite of every female in history.

True.
    I thought she might be a lesbian, but turns out to be just a good, calm instructor.

Marie Curie was a fuckwit.
    No, wait…

117. Armadillo

I just read Amelia’s Wikipedia entry. There’s a lot of man hate going on there.

118. Armadillo

OK, I skimmed it. Plenty of money in the family. Dad was a drunk. Why the hell wouldn’t he be?

The Sheliahs in the family probably drove him to drink.

119. Shy Ted

kd from 6.17pm Grammar school in the north of England, rugby union was the school game in Winter. Boys divided up into houses with lots of sporting stuff and a competitive ethos. Natural athletes and weaklings on the same field, bitterly cold and usually a howling gale and rain. You had to run around to keep warm. End of the game everyone had to shake hands and then off to the boiling hot baths together where house songs were sung and camaraderie was the order. You might have been beaten up for the last 80 minutes but now you were among friends. Single sex school, nudity everywhere before and after sports. The first person with pubes was mocked relentlessly as were the well and less-well endowed and 1 by 1 we all sprouted and if you were still hairless a year or 2 later it was your turn. Lots of ribaldry and what would now be called bullying but nobody was immune. Bend over to dry your feet and a towel would whip your arse like a cat o’ 9 tails. Thinking back there were a number of effeminate boys who copped it a bit harder than the others for that reason and I never knew if they went hoe mo or hetero. Wasn’t really an issue as the reward for all this boys own stuff was to be in the same bus queue as the girls from the High school. And as we grew older and began to jostle for the attention of the girls everyone called everyone a puff until they made progress with a snog or a grope, it was like earning your strikes. But I think all the stuff we were made to do just toughened us up for the life ahead. Absolutely nothing gay about any of it. I heard some years later that the biggest, strongest, most athletic lad was making a living in the gay bars of Soho. In post-school reunions everyone had turned into pretty much a model citizen, wives and kids everywhere and all the responsibilities that go with that. In my career I get to see an awful lot of snowflakes and without exception they haven’t had the toughening experiences of my childhood. I honestly think that there’s a natural order to things, like a dog with pups all fighting for the best teat and you have to have that early struggle to prepare you for the next stage in life. Among the snowflakes are an awful lot of sexually confused young people and the common theme is early sexualisation, not necessarily activity but the time to ponder where you’re at rather than just get on with growing up. 30 boys on a rugby union field, in the bath, in the changing room just being forced to toughen up together. A veritable hetero factory.

120. Armadillo

I seem to recall the written English language having paragraphs, and the odd comma.

OK, Bruce, try this one.
    Flying back from Europe to Melbourne via Brisbane in the ’90’s.
    We land in Brisbane.
    ATC strike.
    Sitting on the taxiway for ages.
    Suddenly we arc up and taxying fast .. “cabin crew prepare for take-off … fasten seat belts … ladies and gentlemen we are departing for Auckland”
    WTF???
    We take off and head out over the sea for 20 minutes then we roll hard right.
    “Ladies and gentlemen, unfortunately we do not have clearance from Auckland ATC and will have to divert this flight to Melbourne”.
    The ATC union action was on domestic flights only.
    As soon as he said he was off to NZ, we were an international flight, and once we were in the air the Captain gets the say on where we go.
    Checkmate.

We land in Melbourne and I spy the crew walking off the plane.
    Me : “Very nice work”
    Captain : “I am getting married here Saturday. I had to do something.”
    I doubt he would fit into Qantas 2019.

122. Armadillo

Shy Ted, I hope you aren’t “copy and pasting” from an ebook.

A grammar school you say?
    Did anyone go to punctuation school?

Armadillo
    #3047059, posted on June 20, 2019 at 12:29 am

There are a couple of blokes doing this shit.
    Sorry Ted I’m sure it’s very interesting but my eyes hurt when trying to read a slab of text like this.😒

125. Colonel Crispin Berka

trending in the last 2 hours…
    MH17 is back in the news as the Dutch investigation team have released names and faces of 3 Russians and 1 Ukrainian charged with firing the missile that brought down airliner MH17.

Fully expecting these 4 to suddenly have pianos accidentally fall on them out of ground floor windows.

126. max

Ted, watching Royal Ascot at the moment, with toffs in top hats and tails. It’s bloody ridiculous.
    Great racing, though, and a very beautiful part of the world.
    Oisin Murphy was suspended last Tuesday for failing a breath test before a race. Booted home a winner with real feeling in the last race.

Top prize $30 Mil.
    If you never hear from me again you know what happened.

Colonel Crispin Berka

#3047064, posted on June 20, 2019 at 12:38 am

trending in the last 2 hours…

This is a nothing-burger.
    In-abstentia trial of some mid-ranking Russians who are never going to front.
    Is Robert Mueller prosecuting this one too?

Top prize $30 Mil.
    If you never hear from me again you know what happened.

See ya tomorrow Mark.

130. Armadillo

Reminds me a little of SSR. That dude had no regard for full stops, let alone capital letters. Or cohesive statements. It was like a “mish mash” of ideas that you had to read backwards.

131. Armadillo

There could be a few Cats we won’t hear from tomorrow.

This latest flu is taking its toll on the elderly.

132. Armadillo

If Sinc had a heart, we probably should be donating blankets or something.

Meh.

itmakesithatdtoreadstuffwhenpeopledontusepunctuationconventionsknowwhatimean

134. So, I won some money on the last Tatts draw and reinvested some of it on today’s Powerball.
    Top prize $30 Mil.
    If you never hear from me again you know what happened.

It’ll be easy to know if I win the big one.
    Used be I’d say the giveaway would be the sheer brutality of the sackings carried out the following morning.
    Nowadays the travelling public has become more unreasonable, and the giveaway will be the sheer brusqueness & thoroughness of the evictions of some of the more “treasured guests”.

135. Armadillo

Sinc, I’ll donate the stupid dog Mrs A “rescued” from the pound.

136. Armadillo

It will probably keep some of your older contributors warm, when they are covered in saliva.

137. Armadillo

Why not just execute them? Don’t be a tightarse. You could afford a pretty big backhoe with $30 million.

A smudge on a glass, or dust on Venetian blind would be plenty of justification (at least mind wise).

Judges only get involved in this stuff if you get caught out.

138. Armadillo

I’m reliably informed that dog breeders are actively seeking slobbering, dim witted, shoe chewing, boxer X ridge backs.

You could make a fortune on her, breeding wise.

[Disclaimer: She might have had an operation. She now identifies as “it”].

139. Why not just execute them?

I can see there’s much I could learn from a wide-ranging thinker such as youself ‘Dillo.
    Do you conduct free webinars about this sort of thing? (for us fellers who’ve never seriously considered killing off an entire caste of customers)

Armadillo
    #3047077, posted on June 20, 2019 at 1:45 am

You could make a fortune on her, breeding wise.

Even all bits intact, no interest Arma.
    But if it can run 29.2 on 520M at Dapto I’d take him and never mind the slippers and missing bits.

BTW, How do you wind up with pooches like that?
    Being in a pound should give you a hint.

141. Armadillo

It would have been cheaper to get the Vet to euthanise her. It’s the food the fucker eats that hurts. It’s like, WTF? The bitch (now “it”) eats better than I do.

I could have told Mrs A she got run over by a car or something.

142. Armadillo

Being in a pound should give you a hint.

I have a wife of 20-30 odd years marriage (I forgot our Anniversary this year). We have an only daughter.

You figure this shit out. I was basically at gun point. When they say “We like the dog”, I just nod.

It’s like being in front of two magistrates, who also happen to be the judge, jury and executioneer.

143. Armadillo

But if it can run 29.2 on 520M at Dapto.

Ive thought of gutting it and disguising it as the rabbit.

It’s it’s only chance of “running” under 29.

Armadillo
    #3047081, posted on June 20, 2019 at 2:07 am
    “stupid dog Mrs A “rescued””

Yeah, I should have taken note of that.

There are some things we do, just to keep the peace. Weighing up pros and cons.
    Win a little, lose a little.

145. Armadillo

I’m currently doing work for the AFL. The contract seems to have soured recently.

I should be available.

Winston (no spit)!
    Are you awake? (or alive even, hard to know with this rapidly aging cat population)

Now it’s your chance of running for a new record.
    I won’t interrupt, and you can trust Arma surely.

147. Armadillo

I won’t interrupt, and you can trust Arma surely.

Sound advice.

148. Armadillo

I can’t vouch for the dog. I sleep, it chews.

149. Armadillo

Nite all.

The wrinkles will be up going to the toilet shortly.

Expect comments.

FYI Oz Lotto has jackpotted to $80M

151. Elizabeth (Lizzie) Beare

Never fear, guys I am still here for you. 😉

We have docked in Victoria, BC and will head for the Fairmont Bengal Bar later today. We’ve been there before and I do like it. Tomorrow we bust ship and fly to Hawaii while Calli hops on board to perhaps enjoy watching the passing parade of people who like getting dressed up, as we did last night after the Gala Twenties event, sitting listening to a classical harpist whilest having our nightcap, as you do. Relatively unadorned as a naked species of ape, we certainly make up that deficit when we decide to speckle ourselves in various ways. We do colour up well culturally.

Not sure when it appeared, but I loved this from Warren Brown (Daily Telegraph, Sydney) on James Packer and Mariah Carey.

153. Elizabeth (Lizzie) Beare

And what variegated shapes and sizes our species manages to achieve these days too. Present company excepted, of course. Mercans and Canuks are often oversize and older passengers, but not me, are starting to bend and twist in sometimes quite startling ways. The demographic on the QE is mixed, but veers aged.

On our recent Nordic cruise Hairy and I were joined at dinner, specially requested as companions by a French couple in their late thirties. We have been stuck at a table with some old people they explained, and we wanted someone more in our age range, they told us. We aren’t quite that, I smiled, but she assured us we were still tres chaude. Well, what can you do but sit back and feel quite chuffed at that?

I certainly think Hairy looked interestingly distinguished in his tux last nite, and even though I didn’t have my ropes of Czech crystals to enhance my flapper look, the Rocky Mountaineer scarf around the forehead and a drapey black and silver thread stole did sterling service for me in a highly competitive field. Those Chinese women certainly went to town in the glitter and glamour stakes, and as for the men, the several Scotsmen in their full regimental kilts did it for me. I always swoon away over those, especially if accompanied by a genuine Scottish accent. Helen, the Scottish lady on our table, was rather dismissive though of a Chinese man’s attempt at Highland dress. That tartan tam’o shanter cap does’nae go with that tartan on his kilt, she sniffed dismissively.

154. Elizabeth (Lizzie) Beare

One of my little beauty secrets is oestrogen. Some years ago when the now infamous Nurses Health Study came out slamming HRT as dangerous, I was on HRT and very happy with it. I greatly object to mother nature and was highly suspicious of this study, organised as it was by women promoting mother nature’s wisdom. Putting my epidemiological hat on, I drilled down into what I decided was quite a deficient study with some dodgy relative risk figures (this study has now been re-assessed), and so kept taking the pills which I still take because I have low risk factors and have mammograms and other monitoring regularly.

The benefit is better overall health, a clear mind, no arthritis or rheumy eyes or rheumatism at all, good hearing and very good general tissue, skin, muscle and hair condition. What’s not to like? Well, there are some risks, but choice in how to live one’s life is also important. Dr O’Oirish agrees with me on that, although his little Chinese locum disagreed, schooled as she has been in ‘natural’ medical wisdom.

Some of it is a lucky genetic draw, but oestrogen is definitely part of the mix. Some of my dear friends, for various good reasons, cannot take HRT, but my dancing teacher, who is my age and who leads a vigorous class containing some women still in their thirties, does take it.

She can still do the splits and look sassy doing them!

155. Elizabeth (Lizzie) Beare

Oh, I forgot to mention Hairy’s favorite benefit of HRT.
    I still find regimental Scotsmen attractive in a way not restricted to their mode of dress. Certain Irishmen, or men with a certain Irishness about them, can also do it for me.

Especially if they are ten years younger than me. 😀

156. rugbyskier

Thanks Tom for today’s cartoons. The link for the Lisa Benson cartoon goes to the previous Chip Bok cartoon though.

157. Elizabeth (Lizzie) Beare

Candy, while I have the floor here and some decent internet in port, let me correct a couple of minor errors in a comment you made re me a thread or so ago.

Firstly, I have been coming to the Cat now for ten years, not seven. I think we came here about the same time, when Gab was the only other regular female commenter. Gab, and then Helen in Tassie, were kindness itself to my expressed, and real, uncertainties at that time.

Secondly, I have four children, and because I spoke of them infrequently and without birth order and ages, it is no surprise that you got that wrong. I have two sons from my first marriage to The Lefty Philosopher, and first a daughter and then a son, with Da Hairy Ape, both born after I turned forty, both from natural conceptions.

The more I now reveal here of my life now though, the more recognizable I become to some people who have known me IRL. Big Sis now tells me the second of her six husbands now knows I blog here but no worries, mutually assured destruction there should any lines be overstepped, boyo, regards Elizabeth. 🙂

158. Elizabeth (Lizzie) Beare

Big Sis doesn’t know the name of this blog, and as a committed greenie, I doubt she will ever land here. Fingers crossed on that, for your sakes guys, as she is a truly formidable lady.

159. Elizabeth (Lizzie) Beare

Big Sis’s weddings are always a good opportunity for dressing up, but as one of the speech givers even I am running out of optimistic material pour encourager the latest bridegroom.

160. Nob

Well, anybody with siblings in Australia has a greenie or leftie in there somewhere.

They don’t quite get that somebody has to produce something in order to create the wealth to pay the taxes that pay their wages or benefits so they can go about protesting and obstructing the productive enterprises that create the wealth that …

161. Elizabeth (Lizzie) Beare

Thanks for the toons, Tom.
    At last I can click and easily access them.

162. Elizabeth (Lizzie) Beare

How ya doin’, Nob. Still travelling on the oil and gas circuit.
    Get in touch to visit us if they start putting up a rig in Sydney Harbor. Or even if they don’t. 🙂

163. bespoke

Leigh Lowe
    #3047006, posted on June 19, 2019 at 10:25 pm
    Knuckle Dragger
    #3046965, posted on June 19, 2019 at 9:31 pm
    Looked it up.

The radio control weenies call themselves ‘pilots’!

Ha, ha, yes.
    These same clowns used to demean my “bug-smasher” flying at every opportunity.
    Radio silence ensues.

It’s funny because it’s true. Go to fixed wing club and call the planes toys. All the numberwangs shuffle up numberwanging about why they are not and it’s a serious sport and look we have “licenses and every thing”.

bespoke
    #3047116, posted on June 20, 2019 at 6:02 am

There is a skill to it, no doubting that but it’s the same as playing any computer game.

Not the real thing at all and until they experience the take-off and the distance between their backsides and the ground for real, model drivers have no idea.

165. bespoke

True Mark I had some PPL training as a kid that’s why I think it funny. FPV flyers are seen as rebels as they are younger with no interest in committees and fly mainly outside the clubs.

166. Rafiki redux

Nob at 5.55. Well said. On one occasion I made that point to a class I taught at the ANU law school. We were examining a case of a farmer who had fried a few fruit bats. Much anguish and protests ensued, but at that late stage of my career I enjoyed baiting the shits.

167. None

I see Branco has been to California.

A Johannes Leak in the business section. I’ve no idea who the guy is.

169. Herodotus

We’ve all seen those clickbait headings for the gullible: “Doctors stunned by this simple remedy for hair loss” and so on.
    Andrew Bolt did an inversion of this during his latest show on Sky. He has an interview with Dr. Richard Gayle of the USA, who was personally invited by Gorbachov to come to Russia to help with the radiation sickness after Chernobyl.

Gayle said that it was difficult to attribute deaths in that disaster solely to radiation, since exposure to extreme heat and to chemicals were also implicated. The cruncher is that there were actually very few deaths despite all the wild statements of hundreds of thousands, even a million – by Helen Caldicott!

People fear radiation, said Gayle, because it has been painted as a mysterious killer. It isn’t as understandable as the usual causes of deaths. It’s a complex topic. A lot like Climate change!

Again, the estimates of deaths resulting from Chernobyl’s radiation include people who died later, maybe years later and in other countries, from various cancers. Gayle pointed out that there are other contributing factors, and that some survivors increased their drinking and smoking!

So “this simple fact from a doctor stuns audience” – very few died as a result of Chernobyl.
    The Japanese tsunami killed many, but the nuclear power explosions and escaped radiation? None.

Gayle maintains that nuclear is the safest power source.

We are collectively being made complete mugs by the climate change scam and the anti-nuclear nutters.

170. The Prince of Whales* is not loved in Orlando.

“Enough of the chaos, the division, the schoolyard insults, the self-aggrandizement, the corruption and especially the lies. Trump’s successful assault on truth is the great casualty of this presidency, followed closely by his war on decency.”
    The Sentinel then ripped Mr. Trump for insulting rivals and said he has “diminished our standing in the world.” It also shamed his base for remaining “loyal” despite a myriad of issues Trump’s presidency has yet to address.
    “Sadly, the truest words Trump might ever have spoken was when he said he could shoot someone on Fifth Avenue and not lose his supporters,” the paper said.

*Formerly known as Fatty 5D.

The US left coast gets its fascist boots on:

Governor threatens to mobilize Oregon State Police to block GOP walkout

SALEM, Ore. — Oregon Gov. Kate Brown said Wednesday she’s prepared to extend the legislative session and mobilize the state police force if Senate Republicans follow through with a threat to block a vote on a sweeping climate plan.

“I am prepared to use all resources and tools available to me as Governor to ensure that Oregonians are being served by their leaders,” she said in a statement. “I am in close communication with Oregon State Police and my office is making preparations for a special session.”

Her statement heightens tensions with Senate Republicans, who said earlier this week that they are “prepared to take action to stop” what could become the nation’s second statewide cap and trade program.

We will handcuff you to your seats whilst we ram through our fraudulent climate crap.

172. Knuckle Dragger

Steve Kelley, Four Leaf. The point I was making last night.

I see the Prince of Wails has arrived.

174. Knuckle Dragger

Ramirez’ cartoon is absolutely perfect.

If you’re going to be a superpower, act like one. No limited engagements. In fact, no rules of engagement. But – either do it properly, or don’t do it at all and stop pretending that you might.

175. There will come a day, whether under DJT or not, that some tinpot halfwit will poke the bear one too many times and get sledgehammered for their trouble.

Were you thinking of Ho Chi Minh, or perhaps Võ Nguyên Giáp?
    They really got “sledgehammered”, remember……

176. John Constantine

TFI international to rebuild the Murray Bridge meatwork on a new site after the old one burnt down.

The insurance payout isn’t talked about, but talk is that they had to use the money to rebuild close to the old site, not take the cash and run.

Promoted as robotics and tech based, but will still need a lot of visa meat workers.

No more stock to process in the country, so the massive New plant will squeeze out old plants somewhere else, for a net industry job loss.

Will efficiency lead to cheaper consumer product or higher stock prices, or will recouping the sunk capital take a lot of increasing of processor margin?.

The robot meatwork claim is interesting.

177. Knuckle Dragger

I don’t know why Putin didn’t do this the week after he shot down MH17.

Wheel out a handful of convicted military criminals. Put their photos in the paper. ‘Here are the people who acted outside Russia’s authority and did this terrible thing. We no longer regard them as Russians, so don’t try and sue us. Of course you can put them on trial.’

The next week: ‘There’s been a horrible accident. The perpetrators are dead. By the way we’re having the Crimea back. How about this weather, huh?’

178. Knuckle Dragger

NumberHo;

That’s what I am talking about. I will speak slowly in future for the elderly PhD students among us.

To state the bleeding obvious – ‘Duuuhhh.’

There is, of course, absolutely no evidence provided in that ‘report’ of any “outpouring of grief.”
    None.

Woman who abandons her toddler to a ‘child care’ facility every day is suddenly concerned:
    Legal loophole allows workers to smoke near Queensland childcare centre play area.

A mother who discovered workers are allowed to smoke near the sandpit of her daughter’s childcare centre is calling for a loophole in Queensland’s anti-smoking laws to be closed.

Clarissa Brown saw employees from neighbouring businesses take their smoking breaks on the other side of the fence where children were playing at Edge Early Learning in West End in Brisbane’s inner-city.

They’re smoking on private land, by the way.

181. Frank Walker from National Tiles

Bob Smarmy and his Wailing.

Whingin’, whingin’,
    I hope ya like whingin’ too…

182. Frank Walker from National Tiles

Perish the thought that greater Brisbane may have elevated levels of particulate matter.

West End in Brisbane’s inner-city

Oh dear. I think we’ve spotted “Aunt Karen”, Chardonnay edition.

183. John Constantine

Their United Nations using information provided by caleef erdogan, obtained by Turkey bugging the Saudi embassy, to out the Saudis for killing a Saudi citizen in Turkey.

Never asked is what happened to the dissenters erdogan purged after the false flag staged ‘coup’.

Almost as if there was an agenda.

The chicom tyrant chops up hundreds of dissenters a month for transplant human spare parts, Venezuela kills dissenters in the street. No united Nations action there.

The Saudis have been chopping up the unsound for generations, and it is passed off as just business, until impeachment time.

Comrades.

184. Old School Conservative

From The Oz, in a story about the sacked AFL gambler (all $36 were losing bets!)

When he was 12 or 13 he used to go to the sprawling ­Caribbean Market in nearby Scoresby where he would buy footy swap cards for $25 and then flog them on eBay for $35.
    Later, while still a teenager, he started an online clothing store with some mates, selling cheap caps, watches and rugby tops.

I like the boy. He has a future.

A boy has been charged after an elderly woman was indecently assaulted in her home yesterday.

About 5.10am (Wednesday 19 June 2019), an 82-year-old woman was in her home on Petra Avenue, Tamworth, when two young males entered the home.

They stole an amount of cash from the woman, as well as a tablet device.

It’s alleged the woman was then indecently assaulted by the males.

The woman sounded an alarm and the youths fled. Officers from Oxley Police District attended and commenced an investigation.

Following inquiries, about 4.45pm yesterday, police attended a home on Robert Street, Tamworth, and arrested a 14-year-old boy.

He was taken to Tamworth Police Station and charged with aggravated break, enter and steal, aggravated break and enter – commit serious indictable offence, aggravated indecent assault and breach of bail.

He was refused bail to appear at a children’s court today (Thursday 20 June 2019).

Inquiries continue to locate the other male. Anyone with information is urged to come forward.

It is not a “loophole”, which implies that the law was meant to apply to private land, but a drafting error means it does not.
    Private land is deliberately exempt, precisely because of zealous “Behavioural Compliance Officers” like Mzzzz Brown.
    Here’s the thing.
    If childcare centres want a buffer zone, just buy a big enough block to fence the buffer zone on their own land, and the Mzzzz Brown’s of this world can pay a premium for the cost of the unused land.

187. Stimpson J. Cat

The smoke would be far better for the kids than what’s in the sandpit.

I like the boy. He has a future.

Probably from the AFL patented “Backstory Generator.”
    OK, have you ever done anything for charity?
    Nup.
    Are you sure? Think hard.
    Ah, well, I once held a Children’s Hospital collection tin for five minutes for my cousin while he went for a piss.
    OK … so that is a “worked tirelessly for charities as a teenager.”
    Now moving on to fluffy puppies. Did you ever …

189. Chris

Oh, I forgot to mention Hairy’s favorite benefit of HRT.

HRT does indeed make for a better quality of life, for wives and husbands, where applicable… 🙂

Tom’s cartoons have come around to the Persians being the blower uppers in the Gulf; unlike some of the smarties here.

191. Mother Lode

You can be sure, if he is saying the right thing it is for the wrong reasons.

If he said said one plus one equals two I would agree with him as a matter of mathematics, while he would have be thinking of how many legs you can break on each ABCC Commissioner.

192. lotocoti

A mother who discovered workers are allowed to smoke …

Google Maps reveals houses back onto said centre.
    All backyard activities better have Clarissa’s approval.

During that period, Goodes was targeted by fans who booed and jeered him whenever he touched the ball. It led to his exit from the game in 2015.

… at the age of 35, when he was past it.
    Of course, the AFL and all 18 clubs (including the Swans) have apologised for “not doing enough” to stop the lynching … sorry … booing.
    Watch this space.
    Buried on page 54 of the next AFL annual report among all the dry accounting stuff :-
    “Retrospective Early Termination Payments. $1,200,000.”

194. Old School Conservative

Thoughtcrimes report.
    “Former NSW star Timana Tahu is set to be dropped from his role in developing next-generation Blues after he claimed Latrell Mitchell and Cody Walker’s boycott of the national anthem played a role in their State of origin axing.” (Telegraph)

Totalitarian over-reach from the NSWRL.

195. thefrollickingmole

Armadillo
    #3047071, posted on June 20, 2019 at 1:05 am
    If Sinc had a heart, we probably should be donating blankets or something.

Meh.

Dont listen to him, its a well know fact it was armadillo laced blankets which killed the indians with rampant disease.

Even Australias greatest living loser referenced it in a speech.

“It’s time for truth-telling. Armadilloes poisoned the waterholes; Armadilloes distributed blankets infected with diseases we knew would kill.”

And if you cant trust Bill who can you trust?

Parkville and Malmsbury youth justice staff don’t want dangerous teen

Staff at two Victorian youth justice centres are refusing to accept a teenager with a brutal catalogue of violence, including “scalping” a guard and attacking other teens.
    Mark Buttler and Rebekah Cavanagh, Exclusive, Herald Sun

21 minutes ago

The youth will be deported back to New Zealand at the end of his sentence.

A hearing of his application is understood to have been held at the Supreme Court on Wednesday.

The Herald Sun contacted the Supreme Court for comment but it did not have any information about the matter.

The youth is serving a 26-month jail term over 10 violent assaults — nine while in youth detention — including the brutal attack where the female officer was “scalped”.

He last year pleaded guilty in the Children’s Court to a series of charges relating to the 10 incidents, including intentionally cause serious injury, recklessly cause injury, assault and affray.

Jacinda Ardern comments?

KD, it appears our theory about Jaidyn Stephenson having a “rogue dickhead mate” who put him in for punting may not be correct.
    It seems he commented to a team-mate about another player “costing him a multi”.
    Whether that is a cover story, who knows?
    He should also cop a 12 month ban for having the name “Jaidyn”.

Michael Smith News
    ‏@mpsmithnews
    A few facts on Trump

Jay Ross
    19 hrs ·
    * US unemployment at 50 year low!
    * More Americans currently have jobs than ever in history
    * >4 million Americans have been lifted off food stamps
    * Lowest Black, Asian and Latino American unemployment ever
    * Highest women workforce participation rate ever
    * 4.1% GDP
    * Manufacturing jobs fastest rate in >30 years
    * Median household income highest ever recorded
    * Veterans’ unemployment lowest rate in 20 years
    * 95 percent of U.S. manufacturers optimistic – highest ever

It’s the lesser known accomplishments – like his “Right to Try’ legislation for terminally ill, highest Veteran re-employment rate in 20 years, $6 billion in NEW funding to fight the opioid epidemic (after his brother died from addiction) and lifting 4 million off food stamps.. #keepamericagreat

199. “As a parent, I was upset — I suffered with childhood asthma and I’m very aware of smoke drift, as well as passive smoking,” Ms Brown said.

At least these kids could move if they were being exposed to the smoke.
    I was once appointed to a special school where almost all the students had severe physical impairments were unable to move.
    There was a teacher of long standing who smoked non-stop around them.
    I began to work my way around the classes to become familiar with staff and students and discovered this situation.
    Smoking had been outlawed in schools five years before I turned up, but the previous principal was cruising towards retirement and couldn’t be fussed – the outspoken agreement was that so long as she didn’t smoke in front of him, it was overlooked.
    Her classroom reeked of tobacco odour (as did she) and I pointed out gently and courteously on my first supervisory visit that she would have to quit.
    She stopped smoking within the walls of the classroom, but continued to do so in other parts of the building (including the staff room).
    I insisted that she not smoke anywhere on the premises, and she would have to head out to the footpath in front of the school if she wanted a durry.
    She got very pissed of at me and attempted to recruit staff to her cause. She’s been there fifteen years, and I was, after all, a Johnny come lately. Funny thing was, the other staff were also sick of her smoking in the staff room, and whilst afraid of her (she was a harridan) they weren’t prepared to make an issue of it.
    Eventually she applied for a transfer, apparently in the hope she’d find a school with an obliging principal.
    In that she wasn’t successful, and she took early retirement.
    Sad part of the story is that she died of lung cancer about ten years later.

* More Americans currently have jobs than ever in history

And that’s not even counting the cash in hand jobs!!

201. Some History

Concerning antismoking, the Public Health nut cases have created numerous detrimental consequences from their fear and hate-mongering, e.g., denormalization/leperization/stigmatization, forcing smokers into vulnerable situations due to baseless smoking bans,

From just yesterday.

Police hunt for man caught on film in laneway pencil stabbing
    A man on his smoke break in a Melbourne laneway was stabbed repeatedly with two pencils while bystanders struggled to intervene.

202. thefrollickingmole

Netherlands is now devoted to “diversity” over excellence in education.

Female academics are too scarce. So we’re banning job applications from men
    Frank Baaijens

Engineering has a huge impact on society. To responsibly advance science and technology, a university should be a balanced reflection of society. As a top engineering university we believe that diversity and inclusiveness is crucial for the quality of our teaching and research. More than that, we believe we can turn a fully representative academic workforce into a unique strength. This is why, from 1 July, all our job vacancies will be exclusively open to female candidates for the first six months after they are advertised.

And how was this problem and solution found…?

The targets we set for female recruitment and the missionary work of our chief diversity officers were certainly useful in making our staff and community aware of inequalities and their own biases.

No chance the diversity officers would bring any sort of idiological slant or bias of their own eh?

Again, this is not only a matter of fairness. In the Netherlands, as in many other European countries, there is a shortage of engineers. We simply can’t afford to exclude half the intellectual potential of our populations. Besides, engineering is a discipline that is all about brainpower, regardless of gender.

The laws of the European Union allow us to favour women, given suitable competences, if they are seriously underrepresented.

So barring blokes from engineering teaching will make more engineers because????

Police hunt for man caught on film in laneway pencil stabbing

2B or not 2B?
    That is the question.

204. candy

denormalization/leperization/stigmatization

I’ve never smoked but my observation is that is a very addictive and people who want to quit need encouragement and positive support, not to be treated as some kind of criminal.

I really don’t think people go about smoking cigarettes in order to infect or destroy other individuals. It’s just the substance is addictive, physically and emotionally. a hard thing to give up. Making a person feel like a criminal is not going to help.

205. Roger:

Instead he’s expanded Angus Taylor’s portfolio to “Energy and Emissions Reductions”.
    Not a promising start.

We knew this was going to happen – at least the CFMEU isn’t being declared the Fourth Arm of the Australian Armed Forces – Allgemeine CFMEU, as would have happened under Shorten.

206. Infidel Tiger

Betsy Woodruff
    @woodruffbets
    NEW: Tucker Carlson has been privately discussing the Iran tensions w Trump and advising him against taking military action

(link: https://www.thedailybeast.com/fox-news-tucker-carlson-privately-advises-trump-against-iran-war) thedailybeast.com/fox-news-tucke… w/

@swin24

Excellent news. Tucker should be Sec of State and John Bolton should be in Gitmo.

Bruce in WA

#3047040, posted on June 19, 2019 at 11:22 pm

So there we were in a 10 seater prop plane, taxiing on the Learmonth, Exmouth runway on our way to Onslow for the medical outreach clinic, accelerating when suddenly, bang, and a big blood spatter on the windscreen. Pilot pulled over for inspection and found a kangaroo with half a bloody tail lying there.

“Tails from the Roo Morgue” by Edgar Allan Poe?

208. Caveman

Police hunt for man caught on film in laneway pencil stabbing

The details sound a bit sketchy.

Police hunt for man caught on film in laneway pencil stabbing

Is “laneway pencil stabbing” another Mardi-Gras euphemism?

210. Mark from Melbourne

“Tails from the Roo Morgue” by Edgar Allan Poe?

Well, that’s the internet done for today

211. thefrollickingmole

Apparently this will get you suspended/possibly sacked in the UK now.

An imam and a solicitor who asked questions on the BBC’s Conservative leadership debate have been suspended from their jobs after they were criticised over past comments on social media.
    ….
    Aman Thakar, an employment lawyer, was suspended by the City firm Leigh Day in relation to a tweet in which he said Hitler’s worst legacy was “his abuse of the term nationalism”. His employers said they were investigating, despite Thakar stating it was a parody of a speech by a rightwing US activist.

I fail, completely, to see how this could be anything other than “orange man bad” level of stupidity.

In an amazing feat of irony the chap mentioned is a labour supporter trolling with that comment, but he still gets screwed for it.

212. Ragu

Bob Smarmy and his Wailing.

Them belly full, of the Ho Chi man
    A Ho Chi mob is a angry mob
    The Orangeman he talk it tough
    Big Government well ain’t nah nuff

Hard to know which way to go here …
    1. Spud derives great pleasure from hounding woman out of the teaching profession; or
    2. Spud generates another fantasy fable with himself in the leading role.

214. candy

Sandpits are much fun for kids but you can only imagine the bacteria in there from cats or rats that find their way in and from kids themselves, and cockroaches.
    I guess there is some special cleaning materials, otherwise how awful. Worse than a drift of smoke.

215. Lilliana

thefrollickingmole
    #3047172, posted on June 20, 2019 at 9:21 am
    Netherlands is now devoted to “diversity” over excellence in education……

FFS – there is nothing stopping women becoming engineers if that is what they want to do.
    The insanity in Europe getting worse by the day.

216. Dr Faustus

The National Executive of the CFMMEU are now set in support behind Setka. In two short weeks, ‘Soft Hands’ Albanese has managed to do more damage to the union movement than Abbott, TURC and Miserable Ghost combined:

Anthony Albanese is mired in a nightmare of his own making

It turns out that the militant industrial unions think Setka is the fucken biz – and it’s the nurses and teachers and shoppies and public servants unions that want him gorne.
    Oh, and the Media and Arts Alliance.

Seems like Albo’s clumsy pivot from horror at Battydisrespect to horror at Setka’s long public career in shit behaviour has failed.

Will be a delight to watch the ALP and ACTU walk this one back.

217. Knuckle Dragger

Quoth the wallaby, ‘Nevermore’.

This one is perfect Blair’s Law.

From the UK to Dubai: On the trail of the “fraud of the century” (9 Jun, via Climate Depot)

Fraud of the century eh? Big call. I wonder what they were doing that was fraudulent?

The frauds took advantage of a scheme that was intended to reward companies for reducing carbon dioxide emissions. Companies could trade certificates – known as carbon credits – for profit. The fraudsters imported the certificates without paying VAT, and then charged VAT when they sold them, ultimately to major banks. The banks then reclaimed hundreds of millions of tax from British and European countries that had never been paid.

Investigators concluded that fraudsters had set up an extensive series of sham companies, often fronted by desperate individuals, including a drug addict and a person in debt, to evade detection. Many individuals have been prosecuted for their roles in these frauds across Europe.

Ah, so they defrauded the EU of VAT on carbon credits? Hahahahahahaha!
    But who was doing it I wonder?

Leaked documents reveal Imran Yakub Ahmed, 45, from Preston, who now lives a life of luxury in Dubai, was under investigation by the UK authorities as early as 1998 over concerns about his links with members of the suspected network. A decade later he would go on to be involved in what has been described as “the fraud of the century”.

He was convicted by an Italian court in 2017 for his participation in a criminal conspiracy to steal VAT.

Others include “another Preston man, Mohsin Salya”. Oh my!

As they dug deeper, concerns only grew further as secret MI5 intelligence led them to suspect that some of the money gained through the frauds may have ultimately ended up in the hands of terrorists.

Oh deary deary me! I wonder if the ABC will do a 4 Corners on this alarming story?

219. Knuckle Dragger

Candy, 9.29 am;

Sorry, but no.

People smoke in order to look tough and cool.

Also (this works for non-smokers too) if you have a few smokes on you, you can give them to the homeless in exchange for having your car washed.

220. dover_beach

This sort of stupidity is everywhere in the West which is now Clownworld.

221. Tel:

That’s wrong. The last democratic government of China did survive by escaping to Taiwan … might not survive much longer, but so far so good.

Hey, Tel.
    It’s the fucking vibe, man.

222. Some have name calling, some have facts. You may hate Trump but the facts below are undeniable:
    * US unemployment at 50 year low!
    * More Americans currently have jobs than ever in history
    * >4 million Americans have been lifted off food stamps
    * Lowest Black, Asian and Latino American unemployment ever
    * Highest women workforce participation rate ever
    * Median household income highest ever recorded
    * Veterans’ unemployment lowest rate in 20 years
    * 95 percent of U.S. manufacturers optimistic – highest ever
    * 4.1% GDP
    * Manufacturing jobs fastest rate in >30 years

Let’s have a look at these “facts”.
    The claim about unemployment was accurate in May 2018, when the rate declined to 5.9 percent, its lowest level since the Bureau of Labor Statistics began to report it in 1972. But if you look at the stats for February 2019, the unemployment rate for African Americans had jumped back to 7 percent, erasing all the gains it had made over the previous year. Trump continues to talk about it as the lowest rate in history.
    It’s a weird concept – if something good happened once, but it’s not so good anymore, he will claim credit in perpetuity.
    3.9 million Americans have been lifted off food stamps, not >4 million. Trump simply has an aversion to the truth.
    The increase in the female participation rate is a universal phenomenon in all western countries. It has SFA to do with Trump. The US rate is fractionally lower than ours.
    Right now the median nominal household income in Australia is $61,620. In the USA it’s $60,558. We clearly do OK without Trump.
    The veteran unemployment rate has been trending down since 2011. This trend has actually leveled out since Trump came into power.
    Business confidence is all over the place. Again, Trump cherry picks his statistics.
    US GDP is only fractionally higher than it was in 2007/2008, back in Bush’s time.
    Manufacturing recovery has been underway since 2009. There has been a slight uptick since June 2018, which may or may not have anything to do with Trump.
    There is no doubt, however, that Trump is the greatest snake oil salesman ever to hold the office of POTUS. The crap he can weave from statistics is unheralded. As we used to say back in the day – bullshit baffles brains.

———

The smoke would be far better for the kids than what’s in the sandpit.

The smoke would be far better for the kids than what’s in the staff room.

224. Geriatric Mayfly

This ‘pencil stabbing’ in laneways is far too cryptic for me. Is the practice transferrable to trains?

Migrant Convicted of Public Masturbation on Paris Train Will Not Face Deportation
    A 48-year-old migrant from Bangladesh has been convicted in a Paris court after publicly masturbating aboard the metro in front of young women on two separate occasions.

225. Knuckle Dragger

There is indeed a worldwide shortage of engineers. Because the chickies associate it with dirt, grease, concrete and $400 haircut-ruining hard hats.

There is no shortage, however, of empowered mumny-bloggers waiting for gigs at Whimn and Mamamia desperate to tell the world how difficult it is to have such a ‘career’ while there are still yoga classes to be attended and toddler sandwiches to be made at lunchtime.

“Comedian” Hannah Gadsby seems to have an unverifiable past trauma for every topical occasion:

‘I was assaulted, raped, and very, very vulnerable’: Australian comedian Hannah Gadsby reveals to Variety that she ‘would have ended up dead’ if she didn’t have an abortion.

Australian [“]comedian[“] Hannah Gadsby has candidly revealed that she once had an abortion, claiming she ‘would have ended up dead’ if she hadn’t.

The 41-year-old star made the admission as she spoke to Variety about Alabama’s controversial new anti-abortion law.

Hannah bravely told the publication that she was raped and unable to raise a child, as she argued that it’s ridiculous that women can’t have abortions and then have no support while pregnant.

227. Geriatric Mayfly

Hannah bravely told the publication that she was r*ped

Could well be the Dworkin definition of r*pe.

On Tucker Carlson Tonight, Carlson has been campaigning for months on getting the US out of unwinnable wars. It would be great if he has Trump’s ear, but that “news” is being reported by the activist zombies at the Daily Beast, who have no qualms about making stories up to damage political enemies like Carlson — and Trump.

And the maths.
    Don’t forget the patriarchal maths.