Open Forum: October 19, 2019

2,067 Responses to Open Forum: October 19, 2019

1 2 3 9
  1. Knuckle Dragger

Lock Stock. The Bren gun scene. Champagne cinema.

2. classical_hero

Would have been first if not for the stupid slow computer

3. Knuckle Dragger

‘Well fuckin’ shoot them back!’

4. classical_hero

One too many ‘s’s in my email which is why I;m in moderation.

5. MatrixTransform

classsical mistake

6. Knuckle Dragger

Claimed for the IZIS shitrags that will never see our fair shores again.

Nuwe draad alles nuut en blink!

Claimed for wot Knuckle Dragger says!

For all the politically incorrect, for all those who ever made a stand

9. nb

Interesting article at Capx on hidden taxation:
    18 October 2019: Sweden’s great tax hoax – a story of fiscal illusions, by Nima Sanandaji

10. John Constantine

Mexican army overwhelmed as drug cartel uses heavy weapons in civilian areas to free cartel boss.

Military personel recruited by the cartels better equipped and motivated than the army.

Suspected members of the powerful Sinaloa drug cartel appeared to overpower the security forces during the shootout, who later suspended operations.
    According to CNN affiliate ADN40, armored vehicles with military-grade machinery exchanged heavy artillery against federal troops in Culiacan, in the heart of Sinaloa.
    The shootout forced many residents to flee in panic, others remained locked in their homes while outside, troops engaged in intense gun battles throughout the day. Residents have been asked to stay inside and schools have been closed until further notice, officials said, according to ADN40.
    Images on social media appeared to show the terror unleashed on the inhabitants of Culiacan. Plumes of black smoke billowed on the horizon while on the ground, mothers coddled their children while searching for cover behind parked cars.

The cartels are running billion dollar at a time drug shipments into australia and paying to swing australian immigration policy to mass import latin american diasporas.

The war on drugs really means something when the cartels can shell a city to overpower the government forces.

Australia has a window to react, before Flee, Cower, Beg takes over.

Camerada.

11. areff

Rage is playing on the TV at the end of desk.

God modern music is shit.

classical_hero
    #3187770, posted on October 19, 2019 at 12:12 am

One too many ‘s’s in my email which is why I;m in moderation.

Next time you post, click on ‘remember me’ after you typed in your name and email.
    Never have to type it in again until you clear your cookies cashe.
    Won’t work if you always clear them. I clear history but not cookies.

13. Knuckle Dragger

John Wick I.

Cinematic excellence.

14. Knuckle Dragger

They just killed John Wick’s dog.

Hoo boy.

15. EvilElvis

They just killed John Wick’s dog.

Nothing will come of it.

Beto stages contra-Trump rally in Dallas. It’s hilarious – as are the comments.
    YouTube.

He’s just embarrassing flailing his arms and hands around like a loon. Oh hang on, he is a loon.

18. Knuckle Dragger

‘It was just a fuckin – ‘

BANG.

19. Nob

Is anybody covering the WhatsApp protests in Lebanon?

Better than boring XR.

Trigger warning, it’s a F***B**K link, sent to me by a Beiruti.

20. classical_hero

Mark A, I was posting from my computer. I normally post from my phone, so I had type it in again.

21. Knuckle Dragger

John Wick marathon. I and II.

Hungry. Sleepy. Only slightly amped.

Bed soon.

John Wick marathon

Who the F is John Wick and which marathon?
    Besides a marathon is of about 2 hours duration.

23. classical_hero

Posted on the old thread after some trial and error.

Success. To work you need to have after :// youtube dot com / watch? v= and then the video number. I finally found out what was missing from the shortened mobile links.

24. Nob

classical hero, your UN link gets this when you click “sign petition”:

Sorry, due to an error, we are unable to fulfill your request at the moment. You may want to contact your administrator or service provider with more details about what action you were performing when this occurred.
    DB Error: can not create

Cuba.
    Support communism, yes!
    Live under its rule? Sorry but no.

26. Nob

Mark A
    #3187832, posted on October 19, 2019 at 6:11 am
    Cuba.
    Support communism, yes!
    Live under its rule? Sorry but no.

That was me at 16.
    18, 19, 20 even.

But FMD, these idiots who stay with it into their 30s, 40s, 50s even, and then recant, get all the attention.
    Boo hoo me.

27. classical_hero

Yeah they are saying that they are having overwhelming demand for the petition. So that is why.

Nob
    #3187833, posted on October 19, 2019 at 6:17 am

I’m working and living in a former communist area.
    You probably know this as you frequent the same hunting grounds as I, there are people here who in their seventies still recall and praise the glorious old days.

We keep out of local politics for obvious reasons, but at times I want to scream out, “you idiot don’t you see how much better off you are now than before?”
    Some of course did very well out of it.

Zero chance of success but lightyears more meritorious that the Claytons impeachment-in-the-basement stuff the Dems are trying:

Trump prepares to sue CNN for bias, seek ‘maximum’ damages

President Trump on Friday informed CNN President Jeff Zucker and the news network that he intended to sue them over biased reporting and seek substantial financial damages.

In a letter to Mr. Zucker and other CNN executives, Mr. Trump’s personal lawyer detailed evidence of Mr. Zucker’s “vendetta” against the president and evidence of a CNN campaign to “take down President Trump” with biased reporting on the impeachment effort, as documented in an undercover video by Project Veritas.

Getting Zucker and his cronies on camera and releasing the footage on Twitter should keep Trump’s thumbs busy!

30. Nob

Mark A
    #3187835, posted on October 19, 2019 at 6:29 am
    Nob
    #3187833, posted on October 19, 2019 at 6:17 am

Some of course did very well out of it.

Seamless transition from bureaucrat to cronycrat?

Wussians are out to get Hillary again.

Hillary suggests Tulsi Gabbard is favored by Russia, eyeing third-party candidate bid

Hillary Clinton suggested that a female candidate in the 2020 Democratic presidential field — almost undoubtedly Rep. Tulsi Gabbard — is being groomed to run as a third-party candidate to boost President Trump’s reelection chances.

“I’m not making any predictions, but I think they’ve got their eye on somebody who’s currently in the Democratic primary, and are grooming her to be the third-party candidate,” Mrs. Clinton told former Obama adviser David Plouffe on the “Campaign HQ” podcast.

“She’s the favorite of the Russians, they have a bunch of sites and bots and other ways of supporting her so far,” said Mrs. Clinton, the 2016 Democratic presidential nominee.

Wascally wussians are undermining my plans to save America from the Wussian mole in the White House!

Sure does sound like she’s angling to be the Dem candidate in 2020, and is trying to out-looney the other candidates to get there.

32. feelthebern

The Peter Brookes toon wins it for me.

Thanks Tom.
    Any views on today’s racing?
    Over the past month, the Oz has really lifted its game regarding racing.
    Long form columns.
    Written by people who genuinely love racing, not like the Tele & who produce cliche shite in their racing coverage.

33. feelthebern

The idea that Tulsi is a Russian plant is crazy.
    Her ties to Modi are the issues she’s never explained.
    Her family is very entwined with some nasty chaps from the sub continent.

feelthebern
    #3187841, posted on October 19, 2019 at 7:11 am

Any views on today’s racing?

Race 4 at CAU #7 ‘Thought of that’ with L Meech on board EAW.
    Oliver at short odds on the fav is poison.

Brextinction Rebellion

That’s rather clever. Three meows.

36. Black Ball

Good morning all.
    A question if I may to the readership here.
    What would be different now if Americans had voted in Hillary Clinton? My admiration for President Trump is well documented. Stands up to the Democrats and media enablers. Loves his country rather than the title and perks like his predecessor.

Race 5 #1, Race 6 #11 place, Race 7 #8 or #5 eaw, Race 8 #6 Walker for Walker EAW for sure but in this one Oliver may fire.

Enough of this, too much is wishful thinking.

38. 132andBush

For AgCats.

Precision Ag becoming more precise

Able to detect insect damage on a single leaf in broad acre systems.

39. feelthebern
    #3187842, posted on October 19, 2019 at 7:14 am

The idea that Tulsi is a Russian plant is crazy.
    Her ties to Modi are the issues she’s never explained.
    Her family is very entwined with some nasty chaps from the sub continent.

Where’s the fucking evidence!

GO!!!

You are working for Hillary for free.

40. feelthebern

The Tulsi smears show just how fearful the Washington War Machine are of anyone questioning their perpetual war demands.
    Move a couple of troops in Syria, the world melts down.
    Tulsi getting slammed by Hillary.
    The world dodged a bullet in 2016.
    Imagine how many more wars the Clinton Crime Cartel would have started.
    More than Obama probably.

What would be different now if Americans had voted in Hillary Clinton?

Wall St would’ve crashed and we’d be in a recession because no tax cuts to stimulate hiring.
    Unemployment would be double in the US than it is now.
    A recession is inevitable of course, but Trump seems to have delayed it.

Also the leftist deep state would be further entrenched as Hillary literally wrote the book on Alinsky (it was her honours thesis iirc). SCOTUS would be entrenched as lefty for a couple decades.

Coal in the US would be dead.

42. The problem with the Clintons is that they are the Clintons!

Hillary is so unpopular. The Yanks don’t want a feminist cow as President.

She lost because she insulted blue collar voters and tried to win because vagina.

Trump reckoned what happened was he him, I reckon Hillary Arkancided her own campaign because she’s just rank. That’s what happened. Maybe she should have won with a paper bag over her head.

43. sfw

London commuters, Dutch farmers, must be many many more normal people getting angry enough to take action. When are our irrigation farmers going to take real action instead of relying on politicians who at heart have no interest in the farmers (and the nations) problems?

The disconnect between the left/green elites and normal people grows more each day, it seems the elites (look at Brexit) will continue to ignore the populace. This could end badly.

When will politicians start to act in the interests of their nations and not in the interests of the UN style global elites?

44. feelthebern

Very disappointed with Mattis.
    No doubt numbers will be along to post it.
    And then 8th Dan will be next in line to cheer it on.

45. I’m surprised CNN printed this:

Mattis laughs off Trump criticism: ‘I guess I’m the Meryl Streep of generals’

46. notafan

Russia conspiracy is so yesterday.

Tell us please Monty and friends what is China doing to determine the outcome of the U.S. elections.

Also why does Russia want Donald so badly?

Would a hilbot go to war with them?

calli
    #3187862, posted on October 19, 2019 at 7:51 am

Hope you managed a good night’s sleep?
    Being moroned and de-moroned an all?

Don’t worry, guys. No great rush. Take your time.

The punchline is at the end.

49. STUNNING AND BRAVE.

Now, what about shitting on the streets?

“I March Because Menstrual Hygiene Is A Right, Not A Privilege”

Fresh as a daisy, Mark A.

An apology is a rarity here, and I basked in it.

My original comment was based on ignorance. Floating a scenario, if you like. Won’t try that again, as it’s not that sort of blog. 😁

51. notafan

Looks like European war criminals will be repatriated.

Kurds couldnt keep them forever.

And turkey will get its zone.

And syrians in Turkey will be repatriated.

People have been going home and rebuilding after wars since the world began.

Dresden, Warsaw and hundreds more.

I remember progs meming that people should not be expected to go home and rebuild Aleppo and Homs.

Not much love given.

Syria latest

52. miltonf

Bruce if you see this, what are your thoughts on Toyota hybrids? I’ve always been pretty skeptical about batteries for transport (they degrade through each charge-recharge cycle) but people say they last for the life of the vehicle.

calli
    #3187868, posted on October 19, 2019 at 8:03 am

Fresh as a daisy

Glad to hear

I keep it to lightweight comments myself, despite the title of the blog feathers are ruffled quite easily.

54. notafan

Read the cuba article thanks.

At least the writer after touristing for a month had the wit to realise he wasnt an expert and started reading.

That story of the former political prisoner smashing the smug Harvard professors plate of food against the wall was glorious.

55. feelthebern

Remember when the msm hated Mattis for being a war monger?
    Mattis will now be on the Ellen show & doing the rounds.
    A great man who should have retired gracefully after disagreeing on policy now looks to be a loud & proud member of the Washington War Machine, War At Any Cost brigade.
    It’s so fucking sad.

56. Tintarella di Luna

The proper and limited use of government is to invoke a common justice and keep the peace – and that is all.
    — Leonard Read

That is why the British people voted Brexit and that is why PeanutHead got nowhere and why the Hunchback has to go but then again Victoria is a strange land.

57. feelthebern

but then again Victoria is a strange land.

Victoria is a dangerous place.
    Fast becoming non-investment grade in my humble opinion.

58. Mater

Overburdened
    #3187628, posted on October 18, 2019 at 8:36 pm
    KD
    Re the Indig thing.
    Outing myself here by saying I don’t identify.
    My children have no concept of my upbringing because I gave up on it a long time ago.
    Surprisingly, we feel it in the trees and when the first bit of sun touches your face.
    Can’t explain it.

Sorry OB, just catching up from last night. In the same spirit as you last night, I’m not trying to provoke. However…

The issue I have with your statement above is: how do you know that this feeling is any different to that experienced by any other non-indigenous Australians?
    I’ve not inhabited your body, and I’m reasonably certain you’ve not inhabited mine.

59. bespoke

Late again but had a nice sleep in. I emote for those with small bladders that get up ten times a night.

Life is good.

60. miltonf

Re the Washington war machine- you look back on the Vietnam disaster and wonder if it was really about containing communism or just to keep the Pentagon happy.

61. bespoke

JW3 Meh! at least three big hole in the story and all the same ones.

62. miltonf

This Clinton Gabbard thing is funny the queen of warmongers, embodiment of corruption, and personification of the rot that has sickened the Democratic Party for so long. So true. What an evil old woman.

Bruce if you see this, what are your thoughts on Toyota hybrids?

Miltonf – They are favoured for taxis because they do save on petrol, especially in a city environment because of regenerative braking. So the higher up front cost is more than repaid by the savings, since taxis do extreme mileage. People driving shorter distances are unlikely to save enough on petrol to repay the extra cost of the car vs a similar conventional car.

I don’t know how they compare with a LPG conversion, but since gas prices in Australia are so high I suspect petrol+hybrid would be the best for such applications. You can use the NPV function to do a comparison.

The battery cost and reliability is an issue, but as other Cats have said there seem to be options to avoid full battery replacement.

Personally I don’t like Toyotas because the two I had were both lemons, but I suspect I was just unlucky.

64. miltonf

Thanks Bruce- I copped a South African built Corolla in the early 2000s.

65. miltonf

The thing that really bugs me about modern cars is space saver spare wheels.

66. bespoke

Radio triangulation has been around almost as long as the technology itself. No need to make up some conspiracy about chips imbedded in mobiles when the threats to privacy are out in the open. It and only creates smoke.

Yep, both of my ones were Corollas. One from the 80’s and one from the early 90’s…

68. bespoke

I keep it to lightweight comments myself

Stay off my turf, Mark. 😊

Bern, not even vaguely interested in the Peter V’landys plastic racing circus at Randwick. But betting in Melbourne is also hard because Caulfield is a dog of a track.

The Caulfield Cup that reminds me of truck racing. It’s a free-for-all in which jockeys try to stop their mounts getting shunted sideways out of the race.

There are no dreams runs at Caulfield, only winners that avoid disaster.

I’m about to do the form. I’ll let you know if anything jumps out at me from the pages of my form bible, The Sportsman.

miltonf
    #3187880, posted on October 19, 2019 at 8:20 am

If Vietnam fell quickly would the Malay CP have restarted the “Emergency”? Thailand next? We will probably never know.

71. miltonf

True. Hindsight is easy.

Tom
    #3187891, posted on October 19, 2019 at 8:39 am

Sydney has barely heard about Melbourne races this week.

73. John Constantine

Australians spent $9.3 billion last year on illicit drugs, according to the Australian Criminal Intelligence Commission.

That’s around 15 tonnes of ice, ecstasy, cocaine and the returning evil of heroin.

Australian Federal Police Assistant Commissioner Bruce Hill announced more bad news in February this year, saying “until 2017, the cartels were sending up to 200 kilograms of ice a year”.

“Then we saw a huge jump, up to 1.2 tonnes, then 1.3 tonnes,” Hill said.
    Passports and other items seized by the AFP during a billion dollar drug bust. AFP Assistant Commissioner Bruce Hill said at this conference “powerful and violent” Mexican drug cartels are focusing their trade on Australia. Credit: Supplied/AFP

It’s Mexico’s Sinaloa cartel that’s the biggest supplier of cocaine and ‘ice’ to the voracious Australian illegal drug market.
    Sinaloa cartel

The cartel’s dominance of the Australian market was driven by its founder and until recently its leader, Joaquin Archivaldo Guzman Loera, famously known as El Chapo

At least eight people died in a series of gun battles across the city, including one civilian, one member of the National Guard and five attackers. At least 16 people were injured.

The cartel’s victory in subduing authorities was a stunning humiliation for the Mexican government, which has struggled to quell growing violence across the country

The stunning humiliation for australia, is while the full force of vikpol death squads equipped with chicom secret police dissenter identification technology, falls upon proles calling umpires ‘bald headed flogs’ at the footy, billion dollar drug shipments are enriching the cartels from the australian market.

The corruption that a billion dollars enables buys any amount of australian political influence.

The instinctive hostage taking of the families of government officials as soon as the cartel needed leverage in Sinoloa will also be instructive for australias political class. Top level vikpol are just playing politics and crossing off the days on a calendar until they can retire on full benefits, handing over cartel/chicom/dogbox/deathsquad melbourne to the programmers of Skynet.

Want to justify a totalitarian police State?.Mass import cartels until the proles demand safety.

Comrades.

Bruce of Newcastle
    #3187884, posted on October 19, 2019 at 8:28 am

Go Ford my friend and you’re laughing.
    Driving a Ford Focus 1999 company car here with 200K on the clock and I can’t fault it.

Yes I can, it’s all electrical and when the temp drops below 10 C only the drivers’ door opens.
    Open the boot? It’s electrical, try to shut it, hell it has gone to the shut position already while open. so when you bang it down you receive a crunching sound.
    Have to push the open button again and try.
    I live and breath electrical and software stuff, but I think too much of it is inappropriate in a product destined for the masses.

75. zyconoclast

How long before Sydney and Melbourne join in,,,?

City of Madison declares racism a public health crisis

MADISON, Wis. – The city of Madison signed on to a statewide resolution declaring racism as a public health crisis Tuesday.

The move brings no additional programming or funding, but community leaders who run programs for youth of color and people of color in Madison say this is a good step for the city to take.

76. Elizabeth (Lizzie) Beare

We had a rollicking good time at some Cat drinks last night. Sydney ponzi-immigration scheme voteherd traffic conspired hard to defeat us (William Street, Anzac Bridge and Eastern Distributor all at a near halt) but eventually all troops reporting for duty made it through to the CBD site of the battle and we won. I think.

Heroes and heroines all. 🙂

77. 1735099

Not so much the Pentagon, but what drives it.
    Ike nailed it when he identified the “Military Industrial Complex.”
    This powerful but amorphous group have become habituated into cashing in on conflict – any conflict will do.
    They have enormous lobbying influence.
    There have been a range of issues, starting with the threat of Communism, given to justify conflict, but in the end this group drives it.
    Hence, Vietnam, Iraq, and the War on Terror.

78. Elizabeth (Lizzie) Beare

I am one of the masses. I am a luddite by education, inclination and the exercise of free choice. I am mistrustful of computerized anythings and try to keep home life as simple as possible; difficult though when you upgrade things, due to sneaky unexpected inbuilt computers that try to turn your fridge into a robot and your stovetop into some sort of magnetic resonance imaging machine and your oven into a cookbook.

Hairy is also mistrustful but for different reasons. He knows absolutely what can go wrong and how often, and also how hopeless most software writing is these days. He thus goes on about it a lot. Thus he applauds my choice of not having it to blight our lives and also, as he fears may be the case in the future, to invade our privacy with its listening ear.

If you’ve got a smart phone then they’ve already got you, I point out, but he says why compound the problem.

79. lotocoti

Alright.
    Who did it?
    Who did the Biggie Smalls thing?

Tom

#3187891, posted on October 19, 2019 at 8:39 am

The fastest horse-flesh in Sydney today will be in the hot-dog delivery van on the M1.

81. Elizabeth (Lizzie) Beare

Another thing that goes readily wrong is the LED interfaces of these things. They suddenly give out and the whole piece of equipment is cactus.

Also in the car – but I won’t go there ‘cos I like a smart car. Driving home last night I really appreciated the clever German technology that got me out of a spot or two of bother when I needed some oomph in a hurry. At one time I would have scorned to rely on that, being a five on the floor sort of girl when it came to gears and wheelies and swerves and roar offs. But you get lazy when you enter the high-spec Stockholm syndrome of today’s Germanic motoring.

82. Elizabeth (Lizzie) Beare

lol. Look at that good thing go!

83. John Constantine

As the Mexican cartels move into Australia, hostage taking and kidnapping come with them.

A clear death penalty for a kidnapper that kills a hostage is now called for. The only escape is that the first of the kidnap gang to inform on the others and give evidence leading to conviction gets off and into witness protection.

Safeguard for hostage and sows distrust among the crims.

84. Rockdoctor

Talk to any Thai who lived on the Cambodian or Lao border regions from 1960’s to the late 1980’s and they will tell you about the communist attempts to convert people over was very real and the insurgency the Royal Thai Army was dealing with along the Cambodian Border as well as a large little known battle in Ubon Ratchitani Provice at Chong Bok against Vietnamese troops. A friend of mine with a Thai wife has worked with the 7th Royal Thai Infantry Regt on exchange nearly a decade & half ago, the Regt was involved in the action and at the time had a CO who was wounded as a young Lieutenant at that battle. King Bhumibol (Rama IX) was staunchly anti communist and so was the army, Thai’s are also fiercely patriotic so no end was spared retaking the hill. One link still exists below:

85. Nick

These big Spring Carnival races are often worth a judicious investment or two as the odds are higher than your average race.

86. zyconoclast

Conservatives should make peace with the complete decriminalization of prostitution

Conservatives don’t have to like it, and they certainly don’t have to view prostitution as moral or acceptable. But if they want to embrace practical reality over moral idealism and help women, they’ll begrudgingly accept that we must stop waging state-led war on the world’s oldest profession.

The facts demand that conservatives put practical reality before their moral distaste for prostitution.

A core tenet of conservatism is that government must be limited, in part because of the serious unintended consequences of government involvement. Conservatives must stop pretending that policing sex work is some kind of exception, or women will continue to suffer the consequences of their naive, benevolent intentions.

87. zyconoclast

Fear, Anxiety and Hope: What It Means to Be a Minority in Gaming

Gaming is a multibillion-dollar business, and one that has remained largely white and largely male.

Three out of four people working in the gaming industry are men. Almost the same proportion identifies as white. And those numbers have hardly budged since 2015, according to surveys conducted by the nonprofit International Game Developers Association.

88. Nick

Nothing says fighting gender and race oppression more than singling out and shaming white males owing only to their race and gender.

89. 2dogs

Tulsi Gabbard makes reference to some of Hillary’s foibles. A good reference in case one has trouble understanding why Trump won.

90. Tekweni

Zulu
    Waat het jy Afrikaans geleer?

91. BrettW

Today’s Courier Mail has a two page photo of business leaders supporting the 2032 Olympic bid.

Anna the Premier is there but what is very noticeable is that 9 of the 12 in the pic are women. It wouid appear the business leaders for the photo have been picked more based on gender than leadership.

For example:
    Raynuha Sinnathsmby is a director of Springfield City group. Normally it her her husband who features in articles about that group.

Tracy Stockwell is deputy chair of Swimming Australia. Perhaps the male chair is not Brisbane based.

Delvene Cockatoo Collins designed the Commonwealth Games Medals so is clearly an important business. leader. Or is her ethnic background a factor ?

Rosemary Vilgan is a former CEO of QSuper. No mention of what she does now.

Seems the male director of the Qld Ballet who is on the Committee for Brisbane missed the photo op.

Noticeably absent were any male reps from the CFMMEU who stand to benefit most from pushing up the costs of building as they did with Commonwealth Games and now doing with Townsville Stadium.

Voters pay for climate posturingChris Kenny
    Picture: Alamy
    Picture: Alamy

12:00AM October 19, 2019
    308 Comments

For my sins, I have fallen victim to an expensive family hobby: snow skiing. It has cost us a bomb but thankfully, because we don’t indulge in climate change virtue-signalling, we’ve been spared the angst of hypocrisy.

You can’t find many recre­ation­al activities as carbon-intensive as snow sports — they must be up there with drag racing. You are up in the mountains communing with nature and your carbon footprint is stomping on the snowfields like a yeti.

People fly or drive long dist­ances to ski and they spend their days being hauled up slopes by diesel or electricity-powered lifts. Water is pumped from the valleys for artificial snow-making, accommodation is heated 24/7 and supplies are carted to the village in trucks and snowmobiles.

A study by the German department of sport economics found snow sports tourists generated average annual carbon dioxide emissions of 431.6kg (equiv­alent to burning a barrel of oil). Most Australian skiers would burn much more getting to the slopes. Such is the paradox that The Guardian has asked: “Can you ski and be green?” European environmentalists refer to snow sports as the “cancer of the Alps”.

You can imagine all this must give climate warrior Zali Steggall persistent pangs of guilt. The Warringah independent MP styles herself as a global-warming saviour, despite her gas-guzzling four-wheel drive, history of European skiing trips and a Winter Olympics career with a carbon footprint to rival Canberra’s Summernats. It is always “do as I say, not as I do” with these people.

Billionaire climate preacher Mike Cannon-Brookes lives in a $100m sprawling mansion on the harbour frontage of Sydney’s Double Bay, suggesting he is not overly bothered by minimising his carbon footprint or predictions of rising sea levels. British steel and renewables magnate Sanjeev Gupta is reported to have purchased a Potts Point, Sydney, mansion for $35m. Greens leader Richard Di Natale has a farm as well as a house in town.

These people are worried about everybody’s carbon footprint but their own.

From the Oz.

93. rickw

Great community service, testing improvised body armour for HK protesters:

Tulsi Gabbard makes reference to some of Hillary’s foibles.

Too much popcorn!

95. Rockdoctor

Just came across this… Madness on Glycophospate spreads to Thailand. Yup that will work, rewilding countries that are still developing… Wonder wonders who profits from destroying Thai sugar farmers most of who are small family owned plots?

96. rickw

If you read up on the USSR’s perspective on Vietnam and their aims and objectives in SE Asia, then you will know.

97. Elizabeth (Lizzie) Beare

I keep it to lightweight comments myself

I don’t. I mix and match. Always was a risk-taker.

And then I turn to something really hard. Diamonds. 😀

Sorry, forgot. Kryptonite to some around here.
    Let’s just say retaliation in advance for my reminiscences below.

Interesting long article areff put up recently about the creation and maintenance of a diamond market. Doesn’t surprise, I wrote advertising copy for a living years ago and we all knew about this stuff. It was Marketing 101 for copywriters in the early 1960’s, a heyday period when some really great ads were written for all sorts of products. We were paid very well, even a 19 year old nobody like me pretending to be 22, because a few inspired words could turn a company’s profits and future around in a blitz. ‘Diamonds are Forever’, for instance.

I wrote across the board: cosmetics, champagne, wine, cigarettes, furniture and ‘female hygiene products’, as well as industrial services, gas, household appliances, and building supplies. Mad Men is one of my favorite TV dramas as it captures that world so well. As this series shows, there were a few lucky and brave ‘Peggy’s’ even back then, rising on the tide of this affluence; I was one of them. The affluence crashed briefly in the 1961 credit squeeze, but this assisted younger women. We were cheaper and survived, also taking on some PR writing. In 1963 I tossed it all to get educated, self-funded at tech for a year. An amazing period though.

98. P

Links to this on thetreehouse, Ace, The Hill.

From The Hill:
    Gabbard challenged Clinton to “join the race directly” if she’s going to attack her.
    Gabbard is polling at 1.2 percent nationally, making her one of the lower-tier candidates to make this week’s primary debate in Ohio.

99. dover_beach

Tim Maudlin on Judea Pearl on causation versus correlation, at the Boston Review.
    h/t: Feser

Chin Peng kicked off a second round of the “Emergency” from 1969 that lasted until 1989.

As mentioned above. Blockquotes fail.

102. rickw

Lee tank restoration, despite having been recently recovered from Australia, the main guns hadn’t been disabled / wrecked by the wonderful Australian Government:

103. John Constantine

Lawfare,where droneswarms of litigants chew a massive company to bits.

Deindustrialisation, self funded by the West itself.

Nassim Nicholas Taleb
    @nntaleb
    Good news: > 100,000 lawsuits. Engaging in systematic iatrogenics is becoming very unprofitable. After Monsanto, J&J, now waiting for statins, seed oil, etc.

104. Rockdoctor

BrettW. No one I know gives a rats about the Olympics, all think it is a gross waste of money like the Commonwealth Games were. Newman should have pulled out & put an end to the ALP gravy train that it became. Deb Freckless supporting this will just continue the slow bleed of former LNP voters like myself to minor parties in the North.

As for the Stadium debacle up our way we all know it was for Lancini Developments to make a killing off before he ups stumps to the Sunshine Coast, otherwise it would have included an entertainment precinct. As it stands the thing will be used 11 times a year, has no parking plan yet and will bleed money from day 1. More vacuous Beattie era thinking

105. John Constantine

iroj Na Ranong, research director at Thailand Development Research Institute, warned that if Thai sugar farmers are no longer allowed to use chemical pesticides and chemical fertilisers, the country will not be able to produce enough food for consumption.

However, he said, if chemical pesticides are banned but chemical fertilisers still allowed, then there may be enough food for domestic consumption, though the cost of production will rise as more labour will be required and the cost of labour is very high.

“The government has to implement measures based on research, not on social trends and politics,” he noted.

The National Hazardous Substances Committee is scheduled to meet on October 27 to decide on whether the use of three toxic farming chemicals — paraquat, glyphosate and chlorpyrifos – should be banned.

The panel set up by the government had proposed to end the use of the three chemicals from December 1, as they are considered to be harmful to people’s health and cause soil contamination.

Frankenfoods brewed in a vat down at the Tyrant’s sewrage recycling plant are the future for rations forthe proles. Rewilding the frontier and clearing the peasants into vast dogbox ponxi schemes in the megacity is the future for Tyranny.

Then making them utterly dependent upon addictive chemically treated Frankensoma rationed out according to social credit rating.

Comrades.

106. mh

Hillary is so unpopular. The Yanks don’t want a feminist cow as President.

Hillary joins a list of worthy losers.

Hillary
    Romney
    McCain
    Gore

107. Old School Conservative

After 17 years of principled leadership at Shore, the retiring headmaster might have a big future as a conservative opinion leader.

“Manliness is about having honour, dignity and being unwilling to exploit others,” he (Dr Timothy Wright) said. “It’s the opposite to how masculine ­behaviour is often portrayed, as bullying or sexually exploitative.” Today’s Australian.

It would be great if his idea of using the expression “manliness” gets wide traction and overturns the unfortunately discredited “masculinity”

108. Black Ball

Hillary Clinton not unlike Elsa on Last Crusade. Just grasping for the Holy Grail but will never grasp it, despite her inane commentary.

109. John Constantine

A great example of iatrogenics in action is the death of George Washington. In 1799, as he lay dying from a bacterial infection, his well-intentioned doctors aided or hastened his death using the standard treatment at the time, which was bloodletting (at least five pints, according to Ron Chernow).

More controversial examples exist as well, such as military interventions in the Middle East. In these cases, linkages are clouded by narratives, moral arguments, and clear cause and impact. (A great book to read on this is Perilous Interventions.) And when the linkages between cause and effect are murky, the very people who caused the harm are often the people rewarded for improving the situation.

The very people that caused the clusterfuck get rewarded for making the public ignore it into the forgettery.

Comrades.

110. Elizabeth (Lizzie) Beare

I might add that as younger women we were also quite marketable ourselves if we were attractive, dressed well and were up to the mark in the ad game. We sat in on copy conferences – later called ‘creative’ conferences – and we liaised with the art department. I used to accompany the account executives to client meetings ‘on site’ as the site visits gave us ideas (ever since ’43 beans in every cup’ for Nescafe came out of a site visit), and I also went to many city offices with them as a note-taking sidekick too. In the Point Piper mansions during corporate parties a girl’s charm could help to bring in the business.

AE’s would source other sorts of girls for clients in hotels, but that was not what we did. We could be introduced to the wives, who approved of ‘decent’ girls, and the wives were often the ones who made the decisions on creative work. I never had to fend off unwelcome client advances, but I certainly had to fend off a few of the AE’s I worked for. Only one ever got beyond words and tried to touch me. He only did that once, after that he was definitely twice shy. 🙂

111. dover_beach

Within the span of two decades the Dems have become exactly what they rallied against in 2003. How else do you explain Clinton’s slander of Tulsi.

112. Infidel Tiger

Tulsi Gabbard just murdered Hillary Clinton.

Compare and contrast the left’s giddy excitement about Berejiklian’s extremist new abortion laws and the racehorse/abattoir/un-homed rejects/cruelty panic created by the ABC.

114. miltonf
    #3187883, posted on October 19, 2019 at 8:24 am

Remember Joe Biden is the archetypal neoconservative.

Not Bill C, not G W Bush.

Joe Biden.

I can name a list of Democrats and Repubs. I’d rather over Biden:

Tulsi
    Don
    Rand
    Marianne
    Cocaine Mitch

115. Elizabeth (Lizzie) Beare

Yes. It used to be called simple decency, and it permeated the whole culture until the 1960’s ‘counter-culture’ took over. Womanliness was also a thing. It was about lightness of heart, kindliness, and dependability.

There is more to say for both concepts, but these few words offer a start.

116. Infidel Tiger
    #3187947, posted on October 19, 2019 at 10:24 am

Tulsi Gabbard just murdered Hillary Clinton.

What an epic plot twist.

117. lotocoti

Someone restoring a Gloster Meteor made a tidy sum when JoHo bought back 4x20mm cannon.
    Apparently.

118. Black Ball
    #3187941, posted on October 19, 2019 at 10:16 am

Please, get new glasses. Elsa was a cutie pie.

Fancy that, alarmists are censoring sceptics, this time Susan Crockford, the expert on polar bears:

Global warming campaigners have done an effective job at convincing the media and much of the world that polar bears are dying out.

It’s not true.

In fact, thanks to a hunting ban, polar bears are a major conservation success story. Their population ballooned from around 5,000 in the 1960s to (depending on whose estimate) from 22,000 to over 30,000 today. Today the North is loaded with fat, happy, fecund bears (sorry seals).

It appears that telling the truth about polar bears made Dr. Susan Crockford, a respected, published Canadian zoologist, the victim of an Polar bear expert purged 2ideological purge. First she was removed from the University of Victoria’s speakers bureau, and then not renewed to her position as an adjunct professor.

“The loss of adjunct status,” Crockford wrote, “will primarily prevent me from continuing scientific research on speciation and domestication mechanisms in evolution: without an academic affiliation I will be unable to secure research funds or academic collaborations.”

But this woman of science is fearless.

“What a lack of academic affiliation has not done, and cannot do,” Crockford continued, “is stop me from investigating and commenting on the failures and inconsistencies of science that I see in published polar bear research papers and reflected in public statements made by polar bear specialists. I am still a former adjunct professor and I will not be silenced.”

Free speech is anathema to the Left…

120. feelthebern

Sydney has barely heard about Melbourne races this week

Rightly so.
    There is nothing at Caulfield today apart from the Caulfield Cup.
    The Melbourne racing fraternity needs to have a good hard look at how the Flemington elite are destroying everything outside of it.

121. jo

mh
    #3187939, posted on October 19, 2019 at 10:15 am

Hillary is so unpopular. The Yanks don’t want a feminist cow as President.

Hillary joins a list of worthy losers.

Hillary
    Romney
    McCain
    Gore

They lost because” Vagina” too.

122. They lost because” Vagina” too.

Oooohhhhhhhh!

We’re just breaking balls here!

You Catallaxians, you go too far!

123. miltonf

Biden has been a politician since I was in high school. He embodies all that is wrong with the political class. In fact the very existence of a political class shows a broken democracy.

124. dover_beach

The ABC is the propaganda organ of the urban bugman class, it ceased being a public broadcaster long ago.

125. feelthebern

Trump announcing this minimal pullback in Syria has got the establishment Democrats all talking about how good perpetual war is.
    Trump is a strategic genius.
    40 years of NY property development will hardwire that into you.

126. They lost because” Vagina” too.

Oooohhhhhhhh!

We’re just breaking [email protected] here!

You Catallaxians, you go too far!

PS

Stupida facking auto moderation.

You have a bee on your blog…

Now we have the new, womanly man, foreseen by James Joyce.

Progress!

128. Maybe democracy cannot be saved, but demarchy probably can stand up to a nascent aristocracy.

129. miltonf

Biden has been a politician since I was in high school.

Correction – since i was in primary school.

130. miltonf

These people really are parasites.

By which time Qld’s public debt will be $100bn +

Won’t someone consult the long-suffering tax payer rather than “business leaders”?

132. Infidel Tiger

Meanwhile the Mexican drug cartels just defeated the Mexican Army in a shootout… but sure let’s have open borders.

133. Have a load of this jealous arsewipe. If this is true, then why were they touring pubs with their parents before they were famous and releasing stuff on JJJ before they were signed?
    Plus grunge was kind of old by 1994.

brig wood 3 months ago i remember clear as day when this song came out, and I really liked it! but i was 22, playing in rock/alt bands bands i.e not 14 and star-struck, and it was BLATANTLY obvious that this song was a complete ‘paint by numbers’ collage of all the other ‘grunge ‘bands. the song, voice tone and inflexions (a bit cobain, a bit vedder, ad bit alice in chains), the facial mannerisms, postures, the video aesthetic. This is not a dig at the band either. The were ‘really’ young, doing what young bands do when working it out – and of course they went on to be their own thing. but – this song? make no bones about it – common knowledge at the time that it was cynical exercise by the big guns to cash in on the grunge wave which was already on the wane. still like it though (go figure)

134. the very existence of a political class shows a broken democracy.

+∞

135. feelthebern

A mate from my school days is in the horse flesh business in NSW.
    A bunch of us is on a WhatsApp group & talk shit about footy, racing, women (the good stuff in life).
    He said via the group yesterday about how he sees it done in NSW.
    It’s nasty work, all done with a bolt gun thing but he says all the horses are dead before they leave the truck.
    He reckons the QLD crew on 7:30 were morons doing it the way they were caught on camera doing.
    He said if there was a country wide ban on horse meat for human consumption, it would resemble the NSW method.

136. Infidel Tiger

Who is eating all the horse meat?

Love horses, hate babies.
    Will the last Lib base voter please turn out the lights?
    Or just wait until AGL shuts Liddell.
    Then won’t need to bother with the lightswitch.

138. Who is eating all the horse meat?

The people who buy pre-prepared meals at Colesworth.

This isn’t going to end well:

Retired Admiral William McRaven has published an op-ed in Friday’s New York Times titled, “Our Republic Is Under Attack From the President,” urging that Trump be removed from office — “the sooner, the better.”

Who is eating all the horse meat?

Furriners.

141. feelthebern

I saw Silverchair before they were called Silverchair.
    Innocent Criminals was their name.
    Playing lunch time gigs around Hunter Valley high schools was their game.
    I saw them at some high school nearish to Broadmeadow railway station in ’92 or 93.
    They were awesome.

142. McRaven’s op-ed gives a military imprimatur to what President Donald Trump has already likened to a “coup,” as Democrats attempt to impeach him with barely a year to go before the next presidential election.

Beware the military-industrial complex.

143. rickw

Who is eating all the horse meat?

Probably the Japanese! I ate heaps of raw horse meat in Chiba, which also has a horse racing track.

144. Who is eating all the horse meat?

The French

145. feelthebern

Beware the military-industrial complex.

Washington War Machine sounds cooler.
    BTW, sure Eisenhower warned of the military-industrial complex…on his way out the fucking door.
    He loved it for the 8 years he was in the Whitehouse & the lifetime he was part of it beforehand.

The ABC now routinely defames people, sure in the knowledge that kowtowing bugmen, police, prosecutors etc will rush in to swamp any potential legal action with inquiries, investigations and charges. They are doing this repeatedly. It makes law suits almost impossible to successfully mount, just as it makes impartial juries almost impossible to assemble. The defamed people – needless to say – are always conservatives in some political or cultural sense.

Who is eating all the horse meat?

At the moment probably the Chinese.
    China’s pork prices surged 69.3% in September from a year ago (14 Oct)

148. feelthebern

Eisenhower warning of the military-industrial complex is like Obama complaining about how the US was involved with more wars as he left office, then he was when he got there.
    Phoney.

149. bespoke

Must be some connection between being stuck in traffic and HK protesters being shot, but I’m just not getting it.

150. feelthebern
    #3187989, posted on October 19, 2019 at 11:02 am

Beware the military-industrial complex.

Washington War Machine sounds cooler.

Sounds like he was part of the cabal in The Satanic Rites of Dracula.

151. feelthebern

Sounds like he was part of the cabal in The Satanic Rites of Dracula.

That was my next post.
    Are you bugging my brain?
    (adjusts tin-foil hat).

152. rickw

Apparently.

I also heard the same about someone who had imported some armed Hawker Sea Fury’s from Israel, same deal.

Makes me wonder about the economics of backyard artillary construction in preparation for the next round of civilian disarmament. Vikpol would be ecstatic to parade something towable in front of the idiot media.

153. rickw

What exactly did our suburban idiot class think happened to old and broken racehorses?

Retired Admiral William McRaven

Promoted to Admiral under Obama in 2011.
    Fan of Brennan.

(wiki)

155. feelthebern

But that’s what’s nuts about the QLD horse footage.
    If they are going to sell it for human consumption, you need to get the horsey’s off the truck.
    Then water & feed them for a bit so they calm down & chill out before you get the bolt gun.
    I think it would be the latter.

156. feelthebern

Tulsi on Tucker coming up.

157. Eyrie

Back in the 1990’s some Cessna A-37 attack aircraft were imported from Vietnam through Darwin. The boys looked at them and discovered that the M-134 minigun was operational with a full ammo drum.
    Apparently they mounted them on the backs of utes and went pig shooting until running out of ammo.

158. rickw
    #3187997, posted on October 19, 2019 at 11:09 am

There is a group that tries to give them a home, a crazy equine gal I knew used to post shit like that all over FB.

Another good reason not to use social media. I don’t mind the idea but do I need it 24/7? No, I just want to see your cats being overweight and walking on treadmills.

I hear in the News there’s a Climate Emergency!!11! or summut?

Teh Thundenburger is ManBearPig rebjörn?

Is Greta just a björn borg?

160. Infidel Tiger

Tulsi is going to die of suicide isn’t she?

161. Top Ender

What would be different now if Americans had voted in Hillary Clinton?

Bill would be opening Bill Clinton High School at the rate of one a week.

Monica Lewinsky would have mysteriously disappeared.

Jeffrey Epstein would still be alive.

Air Force One would be re-named The Lolita Express.

Trump Towers would have self-imploded.

Hillary would have rewritten the rule she could not serve more than twice.

And Red China and the USSR would have re-formed.

162. rickw

I met an American once who’s favourite memory of Australia was roo shooting with a WWI Vickers machinegun mounted on an E type Jaguar.

163. feelthebern

Wow, Tulsi has gone all in.

164. feelthebern

I can’t do Tulsi justice.
    When the Tucker clip is YouTube’d I’ll post.
    The gloves just came off.

Awe. Unbeatable pub story!

166. feelthebern

Tulsi to Hillary: Get in the ring.

WWI Vickers machinegun mounted on an E type Jaguar.

Damn. How long has this been going on?

I want one. I need one.

What 7:30 showed either terrible process for product destined for human consumption or a anitquated method of making dog food. I think it would be the latter.

It’s an abattoir not a knackery – the meat is for human consumption – and it’s not the first time Meramist has been in the public eye either (their slaughtering practices came under question as a side-line to the tainted European beef products scandal a few years ago), which means the management is evidently as mindless as some of the workers they employ.

169. Top Ender

I heard a bloke in Darwin had a stash of WW2 Bren gun barrels. And a CNC machine shop. Turned in way more than the stash. Back in the 1990’s some Cessna A-37 attack aircraft were imported from Vietnam through Darwin.

Hmmmm.

I have been associated with the military museums up here and have been a gun club member for decades and I reckon I would have heard about those.

There WAS a bloke who bought a 40/60 Bofors AA gun into the Territory unexpectedly.

I was director of the Darwin Military Museum and got a call rather suddenly from him saying he had heard the coppers had heard about it and could he park it at the museum.

Events speeded up and they turned up at his place with a crane and truck and indeed did confiscate it.

Given it was fully operational, and could fire a two pound shell at 3000 fps at 120 per minute it was hardly surprising.

He got carted off to court and fined. And no, you cannot have your gun back.

Somewhat ironically it was later gifted to the Museum, and has since been fully cleaned up, and it may be seen today when you pay your visit.

And a mate of mine up here does own several tanks.

170. feelthebern

It’s an abattoir not a knackery

I feel like an idiot.
    Thank’s roger.

Speaking of Greta…

Greta Thunberg Rally: White People To The Back Please (BCF, 19 Oct)

If you can’t see the video at the link here is the original tweet with it.

172. feelthebern

My other comments regarding my mates WhatsApp comments stand.
    Only my following comment is withdrawn.

I feel like an idiot.

Not to worry; we’ve all had those moments.

174. feelthebern

The msm is idiotic if they think Dem’s who support Bernie, Tulsi, Yang etc will turn out to vote for Hillary.
    They aint.
    They are going to stay at home.
    Post spring carnival, I plan to put my first Trump2020 bet on.

Lewis guns vs emus…

176. feelthebern

Why isn’t there a bounty system in place for kangaroos?
    The ones that hop around, not the North Melbourne ones.

Hillary’s moment is over.

Sadly, this is yet to dawn on her.

178. feelthebern

All the ladies in my office say “Why Women Kill” is a great watch.
    Any Cats seen it?
    Apparently its been on Netflix for a bit.

179. Top Ender

A great article about the reality of crime in Outback Australia…

180. lotocoti

Boxer is back from the veterinary hospital in Willingdon, eating apples and oats in the corner field.

Headline: Reality bites hothouse flowers

Lewis guns vs emus…

Thanks for that one, BoN. My grandfather was one of those farmers. The Army sent them a bill for the costs of that exercise – the locals counterclaimed for “sustenance and quarters for His Majesty’s Forces” and the matter sank there.

Plus grunge was kind of old by 1994.

Triple J’s key demographic is the same as their djays – 30 somethings living with their parents?
    Who cares what M0nty’s retarded demographic thinks?

REBEL WHOPPER
    Rebel Whopper® features a patty made from plants, flame-grilled to give the irresistible smoky, BBQ flavour just like our classic Whopper®. Loaded with crisp fresh lettuce, ripe hand-cut tomatoes, onion, pickles, mayo and tomato sauce on a toasted sesame seed bun.

185. feelthebern

Caulfield today.
    10 race program.
    This is it’s day of days.
    1 good race (in my opinion).

Randwick today.
    10 race program.
    Contrary to the ATC & media, while this is an ok day, the Autumn carnival is a better month of racing.
    That said, of the 10 race program, there are 5 quality races.

186. Old School Conservative

McRaven-Looney tries to have two bob each way.
    1. “senior military leaders have lost confidence in the president and feel he is a threat to the nation.”
    c.f. “McRaven does not argue that President Trump has done anything wrong in particular”

2. “what will happen to the Kurds, the Iraqis, the Afghans, the Syrians, the Rohingyas, the South Sudanese and the millions of people under the boot of tyranny or left abandoned by their failing states?”
    c.f. “without explicitly calling for military intervention in any of the regions mentioned.”

But he is definitely implying military action against the President.
    “it is time for a new person in the Oval Office — Republican, Democrat or independent — the sooner, the better. The fate of our Republic depends upon it.”
    Chillingly, McRaven makes no reference to voting, or elections — or even impeachment.

187. lotocoti

I want one. I need one.

Seeing that Jaguar saw fit to include a cam timing gauge in the E-Type’s tool kit, I’m surprised they didn’t include the bibs and bobs necessary to fit a Lewis gun.

188. Old School Conservative

Rebel Whopper® features a patty made from plants,

In the same vein, an advertisement on Fox for (I think) the women’s cricket starts with a “newsreader” saying that because of severe climate change the seasons have been reversed.

I’ll bet a significant number of viewers will believe the joke to be true.

189. John Constantine

Blackouts for Kalifornia the new normal.

We have increased your electricity ration to four days a week, Comrades.

190. Old School Conservative

(Types very, very quietly)
    BoN’s Emu War video led me to a 1970 John Pilger clip about “the quiet mutiny” in V***n*m.
    Pontificating Pilger is surely our next ABC Media Watch host.

191. The Barking Toad

For all the gays and hippies in the inner city frothing about about a horse death – just remember the horse whinee sound when you open the tin of Pal to feed the labradoodle.

192. jupes

Hopefully they stay put and sort their problems out themselves.

They’d sell like hot cakes too.

James Bond Aston Martin fitted with machine guns sells for a record $6.4m (18 Aug)

A vintage Aston Martin DB5 equipped with all the James Bond gadgets used in the 1964 classic Goldfinger film has sold at auction for a staggering $6.4million (£5.3million).

The 1965 model was kitted out with with several of 007’s greatest tools, including pop-out machines guns, a bullet-proof shield and and tyre slashers.

The vehicle – described as ‘the most famous car in the world’ – went under the hammer earlier today as part of a special Aston Martin event at RM Sotheby’s Monterey sale and became the most expensive DB5 ever sold at auction.

Great for clearing roos off the road in front of you.

194. Old School Conservative

No way.
    I thought James kept it in a quiet little garage just for emergencies.

195. notafan

What! there are horses that never die?

There are horse butchers in Italy too

I bought some salsiccia di equinos in Turin, tasty but a little dry.

196. Top Ender

The bloke at the auctioneers talking about the James Bond Aston Martin:

Mr Ruprecht had previously said that no other car in history had ‘played a more important leading role on film and in pop culture than the Aston Martin DB5’.

When not working too hard he’s out the back banging the saucepans.

Here he is at dinner:

197. notafan

ripe hand-cut tomatoes,

If it’s had cut I’m sold

just call me Carr the Bob

198. John Constantine

The Significance of Tarawa

The costs of the forcible seizure of Tarawa were two-fold: the loss of Marines in the assault itself, followed by the shock and despair of the nation upon hearing the reports of the battle. The gains at first seemed small in return, the “stinking little island” of Betio, 8,000 miles from Tokyo. In time, the practical lessons learned in the complex art of amphibious assault began to outweigh the initial adverse publicity.

The final casualty figures for the 2d Marine Division in Operation Galvanic were 997 Marines and 30 sailors (organic medical personnel) dead; 88 Marines missing and presumed dead; and 2,233 Marines and 59 sailors wounded. Total casualties: 3,407. The Guadalcanal campaign had cost a comparable amount of Marine casualties over six months; Tarawa’s losses occurred in a period of 76 hours.

Wang Shaohua, former Chinese ambassador to Kiribati, said that without the Kiribati station, Beijing had to send ships to the Pacific for each satellite launch to track and control the rockets and satellites, an approach that was three times more expensive than using a station on land.

“Then Kiribati president also told me that the Americans were also concerned about the station,” Wang recalled in an article published online in 2009.

He said Beijing repeatedly sought to reassure Kiribati that the station had no military use and was “totally for peaceful purposes”.

But the concerns did not disappear, especially after an Agence France-Presse reporter entered the base in 1999 and claimed to have found its satellite dishes pointing northward towards Kwajalein Atoll, a major US missile range in the Marshall Islands.

OBOR, chicom missile base for Kiribati. Built on the blood of dead marines.

199. Snoopy

Mixed metaphor of the month? Of the year?

The wheels have literally come off and the fan has hit the roof.

200. vr

Blackouts for Kalifornia the new normal.

We have increased your electricity ration to four days a week, Comrades.

This is what it was like growiing up in India

201. rickw

Hopefully they stay put and sort their problems out themselves.

The tyranny experienced by these groups is the consequence of most of them not being particularly nice people.

202. P

feelthebern #3188018, posted on October 19, 2019 at 11:20 am

I can’t do Tulsi justice.
    When the Tucker clip is YouTube’d I’ll post.
    The gloves just came off.

Thank you feelthebern. The clip is now up –

203. Anthony

Strong rumour going around that the UN is sending a force of mexican drug cartel soldiers to Syria to sort things out.

204. Tintarella di Luna

I was stpped behind a big refrigerator truck a couple of months ago there were three photos on the back of it one was a lamb captioned fresh lamb meat, a cow captions fresh beef and a donkey captioned Australian grown fresh meat. I took a photo because I just couldn;t get my head around it.

Then in when in Italy at the end of August I was told there is a sagra del mus (the festival of the mule) where people take part in a mule race and then can eat roast mule, papardelle with mule ragu and other mule delicacies — I wasn’t tempted but the rellos said no problem , it’ a tradition and besides meat is meat.

Also the fingerprints of a certain religion seem visible in all of them.

206. Nick

Lol TE. I love Ruprecht the monkey boy.

207. Nick

What IS it about Australian drivers who can’t keep left on a freeway. Tards.

208. lotocoti

They’d sell like hot cakes too.

Excepting the 2+2.
    Nothing can help that mutant.

209. feelthebern

What IS it about Australian drivers who can’t keep left on a freeway.

They should be beaten to death on the side of the road & their carcasses strung up from the closest overpass.

210. feelthebern

How good is it P.
    When have you heard another Dem talk like that about Hillary.
    Never!!

211. Knuckle Dragger

The link Top Ender put up at 11.41 at Quadrant.

Read it, people. It is breathtaking in its accuracy. All the earlier narrative in the piece’s first third falls into place from about halfway through.

Brilliant. And obviously written from lived experience, rather than the library at TAFE.

212. feelthebern

LOL.
    I love the fake phone calls on Jimmy Dore.

What IS it about Australian drivers who can’t keep left on a freeway. Tards.

What is it about Australian drivers who can’t use their indicators properly, on a roundabout? Fools.

214. Infidel Tiger

ABC got their desired result.

Protestors at Randwick attempting to ruin the day for the norms.

215. Knuckle Dragger

Bofors AA weaponry in the NT.

I heard about that one too, TE. A bit disappointing, personally. I couldn’t see a reason why the poor bloke couldn’t have kept hold of it. Great conversation piece, and something for the kids to play on.

It’s not as though you could wander into Big Tex’s Guns, Fireworks and Pig Skulls and get a pallet of 40mm AA ammo loaded onto the ute.

216. feelthebern

Protestors at Randwick attempting to ruin the day for the norms.

They are there every race meeting IT.
    Even mid week when you drive past there’s a man & woman there on race days.

217. notafan

it’ a tradition and besides meat is meat.

my farm raised mother said if it only eats grass it is fine to eat

no real reason to eat cow and balk at horse

218. Infidel Tiger

Protestors are banned outside abortion clinics but not race courses?

A new low for this failed nation.

219. John Constantine:

So how’s that war on drugs going?
    Working well, isn’t it?
    Now there’s a piece of legislation that really needed ‘Failure’ criteria written into it but didn’t.
    Something, something Aldi bags, something something, spades in doorways, something…

220. rickw

The only thing a 40mm Bofors is good for is sorting out an errant government, hence the interest of government in it.

The best conversation piece I’ve seen is in PNG, one bloke has a jungle found 50 cal mounted on a post near his bar.

Stop it with your racehourse triggerin’, you bunch of sadists.

1 2 3 9