Open Forum: January 18, 2020

2,220 Responses to Open Forum: January 18, 2020

1. Mitch M.

Good workout this morning. If it don’t hurt it don’t work. Difficult balancing act. I prefer intensity over volume. The creatine has helped and needs to be taken for a few weeks at 5 gms per day to kick in, with carbs otherwise very poorly absorbed. I don’t like to spend more than 45 minutes in the gym. Need to add HIIT on the off days.

2. areff

Battlefield update: Crows arrived and claimed the second installment of sausage meat, until the seagulls brought in reinforcements and it vanished in an instant. Indian Mynahs, which stood back muttering “Goodness gracious me” at the melee, now consoling themselves with whatever tiny morsels were left in the grass.

Be careful, greedy mynahs.

Elsie (scourge of mice) has sleazed on her belly to lurk behind the flowerpots, where they can’t see her but I can.

Better get up, clap hands and say ‘shoo’ or there’ll be another ball of brown feathers in the livingroom to clean up.

3. feelthebern

I bought the Conor McGregor fight yesterday.
    First time I’ve bought a pay-per-view since Tyson was fighting.
    The whole spectacle was quite something else.
    Dana White knows how to put on a show.
    The bout itself was gruesome.
    I don’t have the stomach for MMA.
    Just like boxing, I can only imagine the human wreckage MMA produces.

4. Mother Lode

Ties are so last century.

Certainlyt less common. I usually wear a tie to work. It isn’t mandatory but I work with a lot of engineers and it seems to help people to understand that mine is a different caste.

I have received far more compliments for ties than for suits, shirts, or novelty viking helmets.

Also better service in restaurants.

5. feelthebern

Also better service in restaurants.

Serice?
    In a Sydney restaurant?
    LOL.

6. Infidel Tiger

Tie’s are so last century.

Like manners, decorum and women not having penises.

7. Infidel Tiger

Last time I wore a tie was in family court in 2018.

Did you get shared custody of the poodle?

8. Shy Ted

Carn, TwoBob, tell us why you only got a B- in your favourite subject.

9. Spider

FMD. Some FWit in the comments section of the Sydney Moaning Herald blaming Scott Morrison for the extinction of the platypus.

Maybe we can start a competition for the most ludicrous thing that Morrison has been blamed for in the last year which might include:

Fire
    Hail
    Floods
    Drought
    Record temperatures
    Suicide
    Low wages
    Burning Koalas
    Extinction of the Platypus
    Fish dying in the darling
    Lack of Water in Uralla and any other western town you’d like to nominate.

10. Mother Lode

Serice?
    In a Sydney restaurant?
    LOL.

You haven’t been fussed over until you have had the staff at Maccas ask if you would like your coke decanted.

11. feelthebern

Did you get shared custody of the poodle?

No but I got 100% of my sanity back.

12. feelthebern

Service.
    Not Serice.

13. Megan

Is little Archie going to be an HRH Prince when he grows up?

He may not have to grow up much, Lizzie. He is actually entitled to be called Lord Archie, Earl of Dumbarton but his woke parents declined to do that ‘at this time.’

That would be because as Charley Horse’s grandson he becomes HRH Prince Archie of Sussex on his grandad’s ascension to King. The Markledashian’s clearly believe it’s worth waiting until Her Maj dies to get the better deal for the little boy named after the red headed cartoon character from Riverdale.
    They are despicable.

No but I got 100% of my sanity back.

Good result – well done.

15. Mother Lode

What makes it all the more ridiculous is that, instead of standing up straight and squaring up to give them a right drubbing* for being so stupid, he will drop on his back whimpering imploringly to have his belly rubbed.

*Or, as Mencken put it better:

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.

16. old bloke

Mitch M, you were having a discussion with someone last week (Zippy I think) about the mechanics of human sight. I was once told that the image which hits our retinas is the same as that which hits an un-mirrored camera lens, i.e., upside down, and from a very young age we learn to reverse the image.

Is this so?

That’s further evidence of our inability to immediately perceive the reality of our surrounds, the images we see are the result of a time delayed (millisecond) filtering and reorganisation of the image.

17. feelthebern

Has this storm hit western Sydney Cats yet?

18. Arky:
    Winston Smith
    #3297366, posted on January 20, 2020 at 9:28 am
    Just passing, thought I’d see if the angst level had receded.

Nope.
    Joint has been taken over by vicious armadildos.
    You fled at a good time.

Excellent.
    The rancid mess that masquerades as an armadillo will drive the nasties out.

19. old bloke

I hope that the Canberra and Q’bean cats have their cars parked under cover.

20. Tailgunner

Oh sorry.
    I have stumbled into the girl’s change rooms by mistake.
    Sorry. Sorry. Sorry.

Fk, I laughed!
    😃😃😂
    But that was a good post,Lizzie.
    You’re a bloody sweetheart.

21. P

Delta A
    #3297506, posted on January 20, 2020 at 1:27 pm

Thank you Delta.

Slim Dusty made this recording of ‘Holy Dan’ in 1973

22. Tailgunner

Pepe is out of gaol!
    Pepe!!

23. feelthebern

It’s raining in the east, but no hail.

24. Shy Ted

Toon from over at Jo Nova.
    Big Government strangles our ecosystems just like it strangles scientific research. Australia has had 57 bushfire inquiries since 1939. We knew what was coming and we knew how to stop it, and we’ve known for eighty years (and indigenous people for thousands). Instead we paid a garrison of gravy trainers to not-read-those-reports and to create the exact conditions we knew would turn into a pyroconvective catastrophe. State Premiers missed a major threat to their people, their industry, our environment. On top of the death and destruction toll, just one industry, tourism, is looking at a $4.5b loss. Heads must roll. If they were misled, then name the names.
    Our institutions failed us: The CSIRO didn’t save us, the ABC didn’t. What’s the point of them? Academics and CRC’s could’ve warned the nation, but instead most experts and the “reporters” said renewable energy would prevent these fires, even though climate change has made no difference to rainfall or droughts, which are driven by ocean currents, and solar cycles, not carbon dioxide. Let’s promote those who got it right, and turn off the tap to those that didn’t. Who pays damages? Who gets sacked?

25. Mitch M.

old bloke
    #3297561, posted on January 20, 2020 at 2:58 pm

Is this so?

yep

To add to the mystery …

Experiments show we quickly adjust to seeing everything upside-down

Another mystery:

What we consciously see is not what we perceive. Our conscious seeing is delayed as is our conscious apprehension of our senses and perceptions(.5 sec?). As a quirky physicist with an interest in suicide suggested: if you jump off a building you will never experience death because the descent speed will be so fast you will be dead before you know it.

I think there are instances where we respond to a threat before we have consciously seen the threat. I think top tier ball sports types are typically relying on that faster perception but probably unconsciously so. There is even a “fast” visual pathway that constitutes only 10% of nerves from the eyes to the brain(magnocellular pathway magno – big, cell – neurons). Now I’m mystified.

Breaking, from the Sydney Moaning Hemorrhoid – seems Cory Bernadi has just resigned.

27. MarkA:

If they get this to be a binding rule-reg. then someone should challenge it in court.
    I wonder what reasoning the GFA provided?

The growth of regulation as a byproduct of too many public servants with sod all to do is what is killing Australia.
    I find it incredible that a mob of glider people were handed the power to regulate, not only an industry, but also a slab of Australian citizens who likely never had a bloody word to say about the rules they were suddenly tied up with.
    If Australia1 decide to take a chainsaw to this kind of Stasi behaviour, then they have my vote.

28. Entropy

Good point at that jonova link.

Any inquiry into these fires better look at who was responsible for implementing the last lit of recommendations, and they have to explain why they aren’t implemented, and what was done instead.

Great attention and vigilance needs to be applied to the drafting of terms of reference.

29. Tailgunner

It’s dam optimistic of anyone here to care enough to still comment.

Word.
    Welcome to the movement, everyone.
    MAGA

30. Armadillo

Joint has been taken over by vicious armadildos.

Not really, Arky. What’s happened is that the place has been taken over by trolls who clearly dont come here to either argue or engage in light hearted banter. They come here purely to agitate, and it’s blatantly obvious. They run back to their lefty mates with a childish smirk on their faces skiting about how they manage to derail threads, day in, day out.

Blair/Smith had the good sense to just tell them to piss off, rather than masquerading “Free Speech” as a reason to put up with what is clearly just childish behaviour. You aren’t going to change people like nUmbers mind (regardless of how often you smack him around the ballpark with reasoned argument).

They aren’t here to argue, they are clearly here to agitate.

How many Cats have been banned from leftie websites for simply pointing out facts? Every last one of you I would imagine. The left leaning moderators don’t even blink an eyelid when choosing not to publish. Remember “Table Talk”?

I’ve been coming here for well over a decade, and I’ve totally changed my mind on a wide range of issues, and I’ve learnt about stuff that had barely been on my radar. For example, I now know not to buy a Model A. It’s one bullet I will be forever grateful for dodging.

MV needed a kick up the arse. If he wants to go away and sulk about it, that’s fine. It’s a blog, it’s not real life. Wearing your heart on your sleeve because someone at the end of a keyboard in downtown bumfuck said something mean is merely a reflection into your own mental health.

31. Tailgunner

I’m on the scroll back,match.
    Good thread today.
    The Cat is actually firing at the moment.
    It’s a Cathouse,pussies.
    We need to expand our reach though.

32. 8th Dan

Any of his Cat boosters going to ask him for a refund?

33. johanna

Not much rain or hail here in Queanbeyan, and now the sun is out again. Small hailstones for a few minutes, a couple of mm of rain, and that was it. Curses!

These kinds of storms are often very erratic – you will have hail piled up in one suburb and two suburbs away hardly any. I hope the river catchment got something decent – it’s looking pretty sad at the moment.

34. Old School Conservative

He was doing a knee-jerk reaction to plummeting ratings.
    Also, a previous Today show producer had a dig at Stefanovic. “He needs to lose weight (and) stop shopping at St Vincent’s.”

A Cat-worthy sledge. (I do note he wears a tie).

35. Armadillo

A Cat-worthy sledge. (I do note he wears a tie).

The fat shaming never worked with mOnster. He still does the occasional “drive by” to see if he can get a free feed out of JC.

The twat troll gets a pass grade at the millennial uni and he’s an expert or at least an expert quoter of another dud:

The scientific evidence base shows that as the world warms due to human induced climate change, we experience an increase in the frequency and severity of extreme weather events.

Strange innit, that the IPCC in its SREX report specifically negated any connection between alarmism and extreme weather events, particularly cyclones and droughts.

In Australia both cyclones and droughts are decreasing and rainfall is increasing.

Even Nature, that bastion of alarmist science (sic) disavowed any connection between alarmism and extreme weather.

Fuck off and die troll.

to see if he can get a free feed out of JC.

Feeds as in multiple dishes

Any of his Cat boosters going to ask him for a refund?

You idiot, Googleory. Bernardi has been derided here as a gutless flake and a loser who’s not a leader’s bootlace since around 2016.

You’re like that other clown, Boris, who comments here. You think you know what the non-left thinks, but your leftard hive mind can only come up with cartoonish caricatures of your enemies.

39. old bloke

Thanks Mitch, that could explain why babies have difficulty learning to walk, gravity pulls in one direction which is opposite to what they perceive. That fast visual pathway must be very developed for some sports people, imagine facing a fast bowler in a cricket match while your brain is computing the speed and the direction of the ball heading your way.

40. jo

Good to see you back Winston.

Any of his Cat boosters going to ask him for a refund?

No boosters here dickless. Don’t forget if and when you grow a dick you’ll need balls as well. Which is impossible you whiny little bitch.

42. Cassie of Sydney

“Fk, I laughed!
    😃😃😂
    But that was a good post,Lizzie.
    You’re a bloody sweetheart.”

That she is.

43. Tailgunner

The Gliding scandal is great.
    The reason we have to compete clean and champion the anti-cheating cause is because it’s the only thing in sports we suck at.
    Lol

44. Armadillo

Feeds as in multiple dishes

Oh dear. Define what you mean by “multiple”.

Did you have to help him carry his “doggy bags” to the car?

45. Old School Conservative

In the good news section of today’s press, I see that
    1) Margaret Court refuses to be silenced at the Australian Open.
    When Ms Court was asked if she could “flick off the Christian switch for a week” to focus solely on tennis, she told ABC Perth: “I’d love that. I’d be happy to do that. That’s why I’m over here. (But) if people bring it in, I’ll answer it.”
    2) UltraTune is profiling some serious Bs&Ts including those of Pamela Anderson, in a series of ads on the Ch 9 coverage of the Australian Open.

46. Porter

Stop flouncing, people.

47. Tailgunner

Any of his Cat boosters going to ask him for a refund?

Good call,that.
    I’m an embarrassed ‘foundation member’.
    Don’t be that guy, Riccardo.
    MAGA

48. Fat Tony

Winston Smith – answer me truthfully now – did you, or did you not, flounce off this site??

49. Old School Conservative

Any of his Cat boosters going to ask him for a refund?

Nah, I’ll just chalk it up to experience.
    Like that time I gave my credit card details for a $4.95 bottle of “vitamin tablets”.
    I’m sure you know the rest of the story.

Any of his Cat boosters going to ask him for a refund?

Hey dickless, whose dick tastes the best: albo’s, tits or the slappers.

Stop flouncing, people.

You don’t know much about chickybabes, do you? It’s in their special diet water — even the Kittehs.

cohenite
    #3297597, posted on January 20, 2020 at 3:50 pm

Why is b.lls banned?

Because of your male private parts obsession. Thanks Cronkite.

53. Mitch M.

No worries Old Bloke. Vaguely, IIRC, even the retina to some extent can measure the path and speed of an object. An interesting aspect of that though is measuring speed for an object coming straight at us compared to an object moving across our field of vision. It seems to me the former is much more difficult.

Because of your male private parts obsession. Thanks Cronkite.

I’m not obsessed with male private parts head prefect, not even yours. Time for a little ditty:

55. Mitch M.

I don’t understand why people do post grads at such an advanced age. Or to put it more bluntly: what a waste of resources, could be better spent on someone who can use the developed skills for decades after.

56. measuring speed for an object coming straight at us

For me, the toughest rifle shot is animal running (fast) straight at you.

57. Spurgeon Monkfish III

Breaking nooze: The Senate Economics Legislation Committee has announced a second public hearing on Morristeen’s cash ban bill. 30 January, at the Portside Centre, 207 Kent Street, Sydney.

incoherent rambler
    #3297604, posted on January 20, 2020 at 3:57 pm

Amazing. I’ve often thought this was a 2-tiered site. Those with b.lls and those without.

59. Porter

I knew Ellie flounced, Tom. It’s me who coined the term. I agree re: Kittehs. I’ve known a woman or two to flounce in my time alright. But now I see Peter has flounced as well. What’s going on?

Stop this flouncing nonsense, people.

60. Tailgunner

Harry is the most pussy whipped chap in a generation.

Street art in LA.

Nice one,Roge
    SABO is the man.
    Google that,peeps.

61. Tailgunner

I have one of his posters in chez pyrate.

62. Tailgunner

Porto, it wouldn’t be a Cathouse without dramatic flouncing.
    Wait til I go out, mofos!

63. Tailgunner

It’s better to Burn Out than Fade Away

64. Spurgeon Monkfish III

Morristeen’s cash been bill will result in the extinctification of the Platypus.

65. Spurgeon Monkfish III

cash ban bill, FFS…

66. old bloke

ncoherent rambler
    #3297607, posted on January 20, 2020 at 3:59 pm

For me, the toughest rifle shot is animal running (fast) straight at you.

That’s the opposite to what the Army teaches. We were taught that an enemy moving across your field of vision is more easily seen though more difficult to shoot compared to an enemy advancing straight towards you who is more difficult to spot though more easily shot.

Old School Conservative
    #3297598, posted on January 20, 2020 at 3:50 pm

Nah, I’ll just chalk it up to experience.
    I’m sure you know the rest of the story.

That’s why you need a secondary debit card from somewhere like OZ post with 50 $ on it.

68. Chris

In the good news section of today’s press, I see that
    1) Margaret Court refuses to be silenced at the Australian Open.

I went to Margaret Court’s huge church, Victory Life, for almost two years (I have an amazing wife, more learned on the Gifts of the Holy Spirit than I). Margaret had maybe two sermons: essentially, salvation is from Jesus; and … something. (Darn, what was it?) At the time I had just read Cialdini, and the feeling of being manipulated I got would drive me out to the bog by seven minutes into the sermon.
    At the end of the two years there was no-one – ZERO – people who I would meet and chat for the cuppa and Scotch Finger afterwards. I left.

But there is no doubt in my mind: she does not attack toilet-loitering, light-in-the-loafers around-the-corner shoppers at all.
    They, and their false-virtuous fag hags and self-righteous leftist intersectionalists, attack Margaret for their own aggrandisement.

69. custard

I don’t know why Bernadi’s resignation is a surprise to some. He made it perfectly clear when he de-registered the AC last year that he was going to resign and he has already made his valedictory speech.
    The cynical side of me doesn’t like the optics of having your resignation speech in early December only to formally quit in late January still on the taxpayer coin.

70. old bloke #3297617, posted on January 20, 2020 at 4:07 pm

maybe I just get shaky when it runs at me.

71. Mitch M.

Deflection shooting. The only way I can think of developing that is lots of practice because in combat it is happening so fast there is no time to accurately determine the speed and aiming at the anticipated intercept point of bullet and target. Probably becomes intuitive but that would require a lot of killing by which time you might be burnt out from killing so many. Snipers might be different. Have they developed mathematical tools for that?

72. Johno

IIRC Sniffy was on here some months ago skiting about how he received a stipend for doing his Piled High and Deep. Once a tax hoovering, gutless oxygen thief,well, you know the rest.

73. Tailgunner

Hey Riccardo – how does a disavowable guerrilla propaganda outfit sound?
    I’m in touch with Martin Seller,voucher, and will reach out to SABO.

74. shatterzzz

He had to wait until now to qualify for the full pension if he’d resigned when he first waffled he’d have missed out on lotza moolah .. instead he big-noted himself with an early announcement knowing full well he wasn’t going until the big pension kicked in ..

75. Dr Faustus

My trusting, accepting side doesn’t like the optics either.
    My cynical side is choking on the vomit of rage at a self-entitled parasite casually having a last $17,000 gobble at the trough.
    Because can.

76. custard

The defined benefits scheme ended in 2005 and Bernadi was elected in 2006 so don’t know what lotza moola you are talking about.

77. Armadillo

You could do “voice overs” as the devil, Arky.

Good to see that you have finally nailed something.

78. Johno

I put my car in for service today. The lovely lady called around to my Hacienda and drove me back to the garage to pick it up.The people driving around with hail damage was amazing. They had all come home from Canberra, we avoided it. The cars looked like they had been hit with a canister round. Windscreens,side windows,bonnets,roofs,the lot.Actual holes in the cars,not just dents. My grand son ,13 years old, was bouncing up and down, in the middle of the storm, on the trampoline, trying to go higher than the hail on it.
    At least I know he is a normal, risk taking male.

79. Mater

Have they developed mathematical tools for that?

Yep. Sniper scopes have Mil Dot markers to the left and right of centre. Knowing the target range and what angle that subtends (in terms of Mil Dots) allows you to aim off appropriately. Calculations are done in the head, using well rehearsed formula.

Still needs a lot of practice, though, because you need to estimate the speed of movement – be it a walk, run or sprint. Sounds imprecise, I know, but the bottom line is, you need only wing them to remove them from the battlefield.

Modern military ranges have targets which move left to right as well as obliquely at 45 degrees towards you. The oblique targets are actually harder because they are not only moving left to right, they are constantly changing the range, which must also be allowed for.

It’s a skill and an art, and like any skill, if you don’t use it regularly, you lose it.

272 species threatened: Shock bushfire toll on native animals
    The impact of Australia’s catastrophic bushfires on animal species from koalas to frogs is beginning to emerge, with new data revealing a terrible story.

Carly Waters, Herald Sun
    January 20, 2020 3:58pm

A report into the species most affected by bushfires around the country has been released – and the story isn’t pretty.

Species with large populations in the fire zones now listed as threatened include 272 plants, 16 mammals, 14 frogs, nine birds, seven reptiles, four insects, four species of fish and one spider species.

The data is contained in a new report by the federal Department of the Environment and Energy.

Threatened species have been split into three categories:

– 31 are considered critically endangered, defined as facing an extremely high risk of extinction in the wild in the immediate future;

– 110 endangered, defined as facing a very high risk of extinction in the wild in the near future;

– 186 labelled vulnerable, defined as facing a high risk of extinction in the wild in the medium-term future.

Environment ministers comments?

Mum who ‘left baby boy in hot car for five hours while she played bingo at a pub’ has gone into hiding amid savage backlash on social media and fears for her safety

Kaija Millar, 32, is alleged to have left her son in a blisteringly hot car
    14-month-old Easton was rushed to hospital in a critical condition on Thursday
    Millar, from Melbourne, was charged and will appear in court on Thursday
    Social media is awash with comments threatening the young mother
    Millar was already facing a court date for a swag of dishonesty charges
    Easton is currently in the Royal Children’s Hospital in a critical condition
    The boy’s father is holding a bedside vigil for the toddler as he fights for life

Daily Mail.

82. Armadillo

nine birds

Flightless ones I’m assuming?

83. seven reptiles

Hopefully that’s the end of tiger, copperhead, brown and black snakes.

84. old bloke

incoherent rambler
    #3297621, posted on January 20, 2020 at 4:18 pm

maybe I just get shaky when it runs at me.

That’s understandable if it’s a big, ugly razorback who’s having a bad day.

85. Mitch M.

Thanks Mater. Recently I watched a doco on fighter pilots nearly all those interviewed referred to “perishable” skills. One experienced instructor said as little as a two week break from flying and the skills start to perish.

This makes me wonder about real world value of reservists. It seems reservists must be a last ditch attempt because typically their fighting efficiency is rated way below the professional military. That also explains why the Israeli armed forces so often thoroughly demolished their opponents. Much better training and even the reservists were well trained compared to the enemies regulars.

A teenage boy and a man have been struck by lightning at a tourist attraction in the Blue Mountains.

The pair were hit by lightning from a major storm over Echo Point, a famous lookout offering a view of the Three Sisters rock formation. It is understood the pair were near a passage known as the Giant Stairway when the incident occurred just before 2pm.

The 16-year-old boy received entry and exit wounds from the electrical strike on his arms and feet as well as burns to his torso.

A 24-year-old was leaning against a metal railing nearby when he was shocked.

Both were transported to Nepean Hospital in stable conditions.

87. Old School Conservative

Has the Belt and Road initiative reached deep into the Australian Open?
    Lots of prominent hoardings advertising 1573 in Mandarin (I assume) lettering.
    It’s a Chinese distillery.

88. Armadillo

272 plants

Plants native to Australia that have never survived a bushfire prior to 1788.

Sorry, Porter.

You did not coin the term “flounce” here, unless you posted under another name.

calli
    #3203163, posted on November 6, 2019 at 4:43 pm
    Fascinating to go back through the files to find all the “flounce” appearances.

The earliest is in September 2011 directed at SoB by someone called No Worries. Over Andrew Bolt no less. 🤣

I prefer “time-out”, or C.L.’s “Sabbatical”.

Detailed Severe Thunderstorm Warning
    for DAMAGING, LOCALLY DESTRUCTIVE WINDS, LARGE, POSSIBLY GIANT HAILSTONES and HEAVY RAINFALL
    For people in parts of Gosford/Wyong, Sydney and Greater Wollongong areas.

Issued at 4:58 pm Monday, 20 January 2020.

The Bureau of Meteorology warns that, at 5:00 pm, very dangerous thunderstorms were detected on the weather radar near Campbelltown and Liverpool. These thunderstorms are moving towards the southeast. Very dangerous thunderstorms are forecast to affect Sutherland, Bankstown and Darkes Forest by 5:30 pm.
    Other severe thunderstorms were detected on the weather radar near Brooklyn and Mona Vale. They are forecast to affect Palm Beach, waters off Palm Beach and Umina by 5:30 pm.
    Damaging, locally destructive winds, large, possibly giant hailstones and heavy rainfall that may lead to flash flooding are likely.
    4.5cm hail was observed at Campbelltown around 3pm.

91. Snipers might be different. Have they developed mathematical tools for that?

Yes, you can do it old school on paper, although there are computers that will work it out for you, (this is log range shooting >600m), additional things like spindrift from the bullet can be added.

92. JB of Sydney/Shanghai

Eyrie and others….nanotrikes are incredible fun, and about free of all the GFA etc nonsense. Basically fly from a paddock, and enjoy no BS

93. Arky

That’s a new channel.
    I’m going to add a new individual to hell every time someone despicably infamous dies.
    Working on some hellish background art. You know, lava, spectres, dead armadillos, that kind of stuff.

94. Top Ender

The entry requirement for rifle shooting for ADF personnel to go into Iraq or Afghanistan is pretty high.

One of the more difficult tests is to hit the dummy driver of a car moving towards you on a rail setup. Several track routes. Hit her – a burqa-clad lady – and the car stops. You pass.

Fail to make the hit before the 50m mark and you fail.

Saw a RAAF lady who had been in the preparation camp who’d been there a fortnight while they tried to get her skills up. Normal transit time was three days.

95. Mitch M.

This is an example of what I was previously referring to with youtube channels. If the product is good, subscriptions rise, especially through patreon, then considerable sums can start flowing in. It’s not easy and can take a lot of work but for a start up political movement it not only provides exposure it can generate a steady income stream. It works best for very focused channels that are subject specific. The beauty of patreon is the person might only have to pay $1 per month for access. People will do that just to support a cause.

Yes, the speaker is from Pomplamoose, he is a co-creator of patreon.

96. 8th Dan

whose dick tastes the best

Must be mine, Cronkers … you can’t stop talking about it.

Great news if you have cable TV: Tomorrow morning (Monday, US time), Fox News’s excellent chief national correspondent Ed Henry replaces smartarse knowall ex-CNN hack Bill Hemmer in the Fox News 0900-midday weekday slot. Hemmer moves to the 1500-1600 graveyard, vacated late last year by mincing pouve Shepard Smith, who flounced off to spend more time with his boyfriend and his designer dogs after picking (and losing) a dick-measuring fight with new network star Tucker Carlson.

Arky
    #3297652, posted on January 20, 2020 at 5:17 pm

That’s a new channel.

I was wondering why not in my inbox. thx

99. Eyrie

JB, not so in Australia. To fly one of those you need to join the HGFA (Hang Gliding Federation of Australia) – about as silly as the GFA, or the RAAus (Recreational Aviation Australia) – only a bit less silly.
    CASA has decided every little branch of aviation must have its own organisation in a watertight compartments from each other under Part 149. So we’ll have multiple different regimes for aviation in Oz all with their own rules and requirements. Funny thing is that we all fly in the same airspace.
    Besides I don’t need a nano trike. I have a PPL and a nice homebuilt that takes me and Mrs Eyrie where we want to go at 135 + knots for up to 8 hours at a time. Longest flight was nearly 5.5 hours, Ceduna to Esperance with still 2.5 hours in the tanks, all while sitting in a comfortable enclosed cabin in the shade under the wing.

Tom, that was the Post of the Day.

Something for everyone there. 😄

101. shatterzzz

Forget where I read it but when he made the announcement last year there was an accompanying piece on length of service to qualify for full benefits and he didn’t reach it until late December 2019.

102. OldOzzie

How’d You Get That Job!

Tasting Bourbon for a Living Is No Party

It’s Jackie Zykan’s job to make sure Brown-Forman’s Old Forester bourbon has a spirited taste; ‘you’re the only person in the room that’s not allowed to be drunk because you’re working.’

Jackie Zykan has a whiskey-lover’s dream job: tasting bourbon for a living.

She was initially interested in molecular interactions of a different sort. Before joining Brown-Forman’s Old Forester brand as its master taster, Ms. Zykan majored in biology while bartending her way through college in St. Louis and planned to attend medical school.

Those plans changed when she moved to Louisville in 2009 after graduation and established herself in the bourbon capital by taking a lot of “shaker for hire” freelance bartending jobs from local whiskey brands. She also worked as a beverage director for a local hospitality group.

Ms. Zykan’s work at Old Forester is as much about marketing and production as it is sampling liquor. She still gets to use her science background when tasting Old Forester bourbon for quality control and developing new products. And she gets to travel, meeting distributors and promoting the brand.

Here is Ms. Zykan’s story, edited and condensed from a recent interview:

What drew you to the spirits industry?

I got my start in the industry by bartending, but I always found it really intriguing that a lot of cocktails were actually developed for medicinal purposes. That triggered my interest from the science nerd side of it.

What does a typical workday look like for you?

We do a single barrel program with Old Forester and I manage that inventory. So I’ll spend half the day drilling into barrels in the warehouse and the other half of the day doing an interview or a cocktail class or working on our drink strategy.

I’d say I can taste (and spit) up to hundreds of sample tastes per month, but it fluctuates depending on what releases and expressions we’re working on.

We do multiple steps of quality control with all of our products at Brown-Forman, so I’ll taste our bourbon right off the still, at six months maturation, at three and a half years maturation. New product development, also falls under my umbrella: deciding what that product will taste like, writing out tasting notes, things like that.

I also spend half my time on the road doing all kinds of trainings and events like trade shows and festivals. It’s so fun when you see someone who had this idea of what bourbon was or what whiskey was. Then they go, “wait a minute, I like this.”

Do you find people still hold on to stereotypes of the typical whiskey drinker being a man?

I think we’re still battling the purist mentality, the idea that you’re going to ruin it if you mix it. We approach it in a different way: you can use it in a cocktail, you can not. It’s totally up to you.

The bourbon drinker is actually a very diverse group nowadays. It’s a category that has always been marketed towards males. “It’s for cowboys,” “you have to wear pants in order to drink it,” that kind of thing.

What is it like to be a woman in the bourbon industry?

It’s hard. It’s something that you just have to rise above. There are going to be many times where people will talk over you, where people will try to correct you even though they’re wrong. There will be people in every bourbon enthusiast club that are going to test you, try and see if they can stump you on things.

It’s still a male-dominated landscape, but the consumer base is increasingly female and you’re starting to see a shift more and more in the different types of roles that women are playing in the bourbon industry. They’ve always been involved, but maybe they weren’t the faces of brands as much as they are nowadays.

We do a lot of women in whiskey events, and I’m amazed by the number of people you see who used to be a vodka drinker or scotch drinker or wine drinker and now drink bourbon. There are so many brands on the market that there’s something for everybody to discover and connect with. It’s a really exciting time to be in bourbon.

What skills or qualifications are important to succeeding as a master taster?

There are a lot of certifications along the way that can help you fine-tune your palate. Sommelier certifications are definitely a great way to do that. One of the most intimidating parts of this category is identifying tasting notes. It helps to go to the grocery, smell essential oils, candles, everything to build a sensory memory bank for yourself.

Checking for quality control is more of an everyday part of the job. It’s the same process, but you’re recalling what the distillate smells like if the corn was burnt when you cooked it, what happens if the pH was off. So as much as it seems like you’re sitting around all day, waxing poetic about whether the whiskey has oranges or almonds or whatever, you’re also checking whether it’s balanced or not, it has too high of ethanol for the age, it isn’t oxidized enough. It’s a totally different thing.

Do some people think you just drink for a living?

One hundred percent. They see your Instagram and go, “oh my God, you have the coolest job in the world. You just get to drink all the time.” They don’t realize when you work in the alcohol industry as a career, it’s not a party. It’s a fun industry and it’s full of really great characters, but it is by no means a party. You’re the only person in the room that’s not allowed to be drunk because you’re working.

What are some of the challenging parts of the job?

You’re going to be drinking a higher than normal level of alcohol. Yes, you sip and you spit, but you’re still going to take some of that into your body. You have to prioritize taking care of yourself physically. So I am a Barre3 addict, I drink a ton of water, I drink a lot of detox tea. I take about six different supplements for my liver health.

What’s your go-to drink?

I love a good Paloma, a lot of low-alcohol stuff. It’s not that I don’t like to drink bourbon casually; the experience is just different when it’s your job. It’s hard to drink and smell things the same after you’ve gone through that production training. I don’t want to have to think about it too much.

103. Armadillo

You ripped me off last time. Once bitten, twice shy.

Word economy is my guiding professional light, Calli. I’ve devoted a lifetime to it.

105. Armadillo

Or more accurately “You ripped off Mrs A last time”.

I tried to warn her.

106. Arky

Jeffrey Epstein is difficult to caricature. He kept coming out looking like Robert Mueller.
    Oh well, when Mueller carks it I already have some sketches to use.
    The trick with Epstein seems to be to give him a cat’s upper lip and crossed eyes.

Fifteen-year-old black American Coco Gauff just eliminated Venus Williams from the Australian Open. Woohoo. Someone worth following.

108. Arky

You ripped me off last time. Once bitten, twice shy.

There is no money, wretched creature.
    It just means new cartoons appear in your inbox unbidden.

109. OldOzzie

Tim Blair: Time to get fracking and lower those emissions

What do you imagine might be the environmental outcome if the rapacious, resource-devouring US were to rapidly add the equivalent of Australia to its already-massive population?

Probably nothing good, if you’re looking at things from an enviro-green perspective. After all, more people means more construction, more consumption and more ­carbon dioxide output.

Now imagine that this population increase is accompanied by an extraordinary boom in fossil-fuel extraction.

Again, no green-minded person could possibly see anything positive here. Fossil fuels are Satan’s heroin, addicting and enslaving billions who through their fossil fuel use become complicit in the Earth’s destruction.

Include another component. Let’s say these Americans are ­buying great big fuel-devouring trucks every 47 seconds over a period of 10 years.

And that’s just one type of truck — Ford’s mighty F-Series — among the 17 million or so new cars and trucks sold annually in the US. By comparison, Australians last year bought 1,062,867 new vehicles.

Well, all of these things happened.

From 2007 to 2017, the US population grew from 301.2 million to 325.7 million. That’s a boost of 24.5 million, which is just about equal to Australia’s population. They’ve matched in one decade our entire 232-year people project.

At the same time, Texas has led a remarkable boom in US oil and gas extraction. And Americans bought 7,393,479 of those stonking Ford trucks, along with everything else.

Can’t be good for the environment, right? Wrong.

“From 2007 to 2017,” University of Texas energy resources professor ­Michael E. Webber reports, “the United States reduced carbon dioxide emissions by 14 per cent.”

How can this be so? By conventional enviro-green thinking, this simply should not add up.

But it does, and that Texan energy boom is the reason why.

As Webber explained in a 2019 ­article: “The biggest driver has been the Texas-led revolution in hydraulic fracturing (or fracking), which has ­increased the availability of cheap natural gas, whose carbon dioxide emissions are half that of coal.”

Ryan Sitton, chief regulator of oil and gas production in Texas, noted last week: “America has actually reduced emissions faster than any other industrialised country, thanks to the market-driven switch to natural gas.

“We just need to get more of it to market here and around the world.”

Which brings us to NSW, similarly blessed with an abundance of clean, inexpensive, climate-friendly natural gas. By one estimate, we have enough natural gas to last for 500 years at ­current rates of consumption.

We’re loaded with the stuff and much of it can be obtained using non-fracking extraction methods. Coal seams in the northwest of NSW alone may meet 50 per cent of our gas needs.

“Narrabri has the potential to ­supply half of the state’s demand,” the Australian Financial Review’s Matthew Stevens wrote last year.

As the US demonstrates, an increased proportion of natural gas in overall energy use reduces carbon dioxide output. Anti-coal environmental warriors ought to be screaming for more natural gas.

Instead, they’re screaming at it.

Attempts by the Baird government to approve new gas fields in NSW were met by furious (and eventually successful) Greens-led opposition.

Just as alleged environmentalists reject nuclear power — the safest, cleanest and potentially cheapest energy source of them all — they also reject natural gas.

These people don’t like anything that works, which is why gas-rich NSW has to import more than 95 per cent of our gas from interstate. It’s also one reason why unemployment in some areas of regional NSW is so painfully high.

Allow those regions to participate in an expanded gas industry and we’d likely see a situation similar to much of rural Texas, where former ghost towns are now thriving.

Jobs in the Texan oil and gas industry pay an average of more than $A200,000.

The US employment website ZipRecruiter currently lists 9327 benefit-stacked jobs throughout Texas in the oil and gas industries: “$75K to $100K Annually, Medical, Life Insurance, Dental”, “$40K to $100K”, “$75K to $250K”, “$80K to $130K”, “$5000 Monthly”, “$150K to $200K”, “$80K to $90K” and so on, for page after page.

NSW could do with a piece of this action, which would also provide a geopolitical gain.

“World markets know that Donald Trump, or any subsequent American president, can quickly boost supplies even further by opening up federal land to hydraulic fracturing,” University of Tennessee law professor Glenn Reynolds wrote last week.

“That’s not just bad news for Iran. It also weakens the hand of Saudi Arabia, which has gone from jihad-encouraging frenemy to a nervous ally as it faces Iran across the Persian Gulf, while its power over the US is also reduced.

“Fracking also drastically undercuts the power of Vladimir Putin, whose economic leverage depends on Russian oil and gas exports.”

Besides sticking it to the bad guys, natural gas means cheaper energy, ­reduced emissions and more jobs.

No wonder environmentalists ­oppose it.

110. Spider

Entropy

How about starting with the former fire chiefs on whose watch some of this situation was allowed to occur.

111. Armadillo

Nope. Your trust factor level is zero.

You are probably planning on selling people’s email addresses to the Kremlin.

112. Armadillo

Or worse still, CNN, you evil bastard.

Tom
    #3297670, posted on January 20, 2020 at 5:47 pm

The question should be; why is Williams still playing?
    Can’t be for the money, and she is just not good enough anymore.
    Retire gracefully.

Must be mine, Cronkers … you can’t stop talking about it.

That’d be funny if you had one; but like all lefties you’re defined by negative qualities; now STFU and die.

115. Arky

You are probably planning on selling people’s email addresses to the Kremlin.

I don’t see your email address.
    I see your Youtube page with whatever lies you typed into that. If I can be bothered. Which I can’t.
    It’s called social media. Social animals, like humans use it.
    Armadildos probably have something similar called unsocial media where they post pics of the festering lumps they find growing in their groins or some shit like that.

116. Armadillo

Draw a triangle between Narrabri, Gunnedah and Boggabri. The bottom of every hole you dig would be black.

Thanks, OO. Too much Tim Blair is barely enough.

118. Spider

Old School Conservative

Just imagine if you will a reporter asking a prominent Muesli sportsperson if they could flick off the Muesli switch for a week.

No it wouldn’t happen. They wouldn’t dare.

119. Old School Conservative

The question should be; why is Williams still playing

Perhaps a year of farewell matches.

120. Nick

The racist! Oh hang on. The misogyny! Oh hang on.

121. Armadillo

Good point, Spider.

Although sportspeople now seem to be able to “flick off the gender switch” on demand.

122. BrettW

TE,
    Might have been when you deployed but not so much recently. I had a conversation with somebody on pre deployment training and he mentioned that failure was not an option for the fairer sex and even some failing multiple times were “passed”. Did wonders for morale as those females also took the place of males.

Top Ender
    #3297653, posted on January 20, 2020 at 5:18 pm

123. Cassie of Sydney

Just got off the bus in the seat of Wentworth where I live…….I noticed a poster blue tacked to a wall about a demo planned at Dave Sharma’s office on Saturday 25th Jan…..the poster reads

“Quiet Australians Stand Up..Silent Vigil for Climate Action! We invite fellow Wentworth electorate residents to join us in asking Dave Sharma MP to advocate on our behalf for evidence based climate policy”

Some group called “Quiet Australians Stand Up”.

Well this “Quiet Australian” tore the poster down. The poster has a picture of an old couple (they look like Green voters) holding their grandchild….I won’t name the couple but the husband is a lawyer and the wife is a GP…….I guess they don’t struggle paying their power bills. I might turn up on Saturday at the protest and ask some of the protesters if, in the interests of evidence based climate policy, they would also advocate for windmills up on Vaucluse and Diamond Bay, solar panels down on Rose Bay and along the foreshore of Bondi Beach.

Tomorrow I will walk to work (climate permitting…because you know…it’s all about climate now….whatever happened to weather?) and if I see any more of these posters, I will tear them down…and other Wentworth residents should also do the same.

Go Cassie! And if you get manhandled by any green filth let me know and I’ll come down with some other thugs.

125. OldOzzie

The Burning Question in the East Bay Hills: Eucalyptus Is Flammable Compared to What?

Twenty-five years after the Oakland Hills fire, people still disagree about whether blue gum eucalyptus is a fire threat

evidence based climate policy

Careful, Cassie.

It might just be truthful – Sharma to do absolutely nothing based on the evidence.

But I doubt it.

Well done, Cassie.

This would, of course, be based of the angle of head tilt from theGrannie, Grandpa and kiddies.

129. Mother Lode

Why announce resignation early if you plan holding on until a later date? I wonder if he was hoping his announcement was intended to spur the morlocks in other parties to consider recruiting him. He can hardly put on his best Are You Being Served voice and cry “I’m free!”

Or some other stratagem.

130. vlad

The criminal bar, Weinberg J recently said, is not for shrinking violets.

Neither is the Cat.

131. Mother Lode

Oops.

I see Custard has raised a rather salient point regarding the mooted motza.

132. vlad

Harry Wales – just what is his surname, anyway – will stand as an example for generations of royals.

Of what happens to you if you quit.

133. Cassie of Sydney

“alli
    #3297694, posted on January 20, 2020 at 6:29 pm
    evidence based climate policy

Careful, Cassie.

But I doubt it.”

Yep…..Sharma is a dripping wet….and a climate change luvvie….perfect for the seat of Wentworth. And still infinitely better than Skank Phelps.

vlad
    #3297700, posted on January 20, 2020 at 6:39 pm

Of what happens to you if you quit.

Harry in House of Windsor family. So Harry Windsor.

135. Johno

Wow ,there are literally thousands of cars hail damaged in Canberra. The only ones that will be repaired are the new ones, anything worth $10,000 or less will be written off. The thing is the body shops are flat out all year repairing damage from kangaroos.They won’t be able to cope.

Then I do hope Sharma is living according to his lights – actually dripping wet due to the high humidity.

He would not have air con because “da planet”.

Anything else would be hypocritical.

They want evidence based policy?

Here’s some evidence for them.

Thanks, Roger.

Bookmarked.

139. vlad

Harry in House of Windsor family. So Harry Windsor.

They changed that in 1960 to Mountbatten-Windsor after a vicar gave a sermon saying it was a terrible pity for a legitimate son – any legitimate son anywhere (he didn’t specify who he meant, but this was shortly after a royal birth) – was denied his father’s surname. True story. And he wasn’t the Archbishop of Canterbury or anything, just a run of the mill English vicar.

What confuses me – inter alia – is that William was known in the army as Lieutenant Wales.

If Harry [sc: Henry] Mountbatten-Windsor becomes the Duke of Sussex is he then styled Henry Sussex?

So confusing.

The last time I read an article about this is it said if The Queen has a surname, she alone knows it and won’t be telling anyone.

140. Mother Lode

Our storm has just come and gone on the North Shore in Sydney.

Some heavy rain, then lighter rain, some half-hearted Thunder, and that is it.

Didn’t match the hype.

Thanks, Roger.

Bookmarked.

Calli, note also (at the website) the graph version as compared with BOM’s deceptive graph.

A practical choice for that purpose.

Having lost the HRH designation he now reverts to Mountbatten-Windsor.

Or perhaps Markle.

143. Herodotus

I welcome the advent of Mr Gluhwein to the premiership of the map of Tasmania. There’s a sense of long association there.

144. vlad

Having lost the HRH designation he now reverts to Mountbatten-Windsor.

Or perhaps Markle.

Or Mountbatten-Windsor-Markle.

Please, no.

Whatever his surname, he has taught other royal quitters what to expect. Sweet Felicity Arkwright.

Learnt anything from these people?

Septimus has been particularly nasty to the Kittehs, of late.
    Lunar phase?

Wan(g)ing Crescent
    Illumination: 20%

1/5th Wang

I thought gluehwein was more Adelaide than Hobart?

147. MatrixTransform

Mick from the Gold Coast was not having a go at Matrix and Arma and the others.
    He was agreeing with us.

I couldn’t tell, and read the opposite I suppose.

If misinterpreted then sorry.

In any case I’d rather be healthily-hassled than sniped at

feels normal and reasonable and human

“Bongless Brexit”

Any retards left supporting ruinables must be drinking the bong water.

1735099
    #3297335, posted on January 20, 2020 at 8:28 am
    In my email today –

A subscription to penis enlargement?

150. Herodotus

You probably have to find Barry Humphries doing “Snow Complications” for the full context Roger.

151. mh

Have come out of work in Brisbane, want to know of any effects of storm that went through Southside/Logan.

News Ltd Courier Mail has it all behind a paywall, but headline says 19000 without power.

ABC online has fvck all. This is my pet hate. The one thing that the ABC should be doing is having a fvcking good online service for breaking news events that affect Australians. Like storms in SE Qld. The ABC is shit.

Ah…thanks, H.

153. Armadillo

In any case I’d rather be healthily-hassled than sniped at

Blokes being bitchy is unbecoming. Deal with it and bury it.

154. Crossie

Not only did the bushfires burn down over 2000 homes and most of the eastern seaboard forests but they have also turned most of the Liberals, state and federal, into neo-Greens. What’s more, they have all decided that the only way to appease the fire gods is to burn ScoMo. Let’s see if he will fight back or buy his freedom with billions of our money to give to politically connected green carpetbaggers.

155. Tailgunner

You did not coin the term “flounce” here, unless you posted under another name.

Yeh, fkn calm down,m8.
    I thought the same thing Calli.

156. MatrixTransform

Good to see you back Winston

worst flounce evah

157. Tailgunner

Yes,Mitch.
    Spot on.

158. Crossie

I wouldn’t put it past Meghan Markle to have had an idea of establishing with Harry a court in exile and then the Queen spoils it all by stripping them of their royal status.

Adam Bandt says our PM is a threat to life.

It’s not just Bandt; the Stefanovic creature seems to want to lumber the fires, the dust storms and now the floods on Morrison’s shoulders.

Apparently he knows more than the chief scientist.

Karl’s been Green-cucked by his young new girlfriend?

He’s going to lingerie model his man boobs?

160. Spider

FMD. Now the Australian Open at risk because of climate change according to researchers. Mind you playing 5 sets in the hight of summer was always daft.

Is there nothing in the world that someone somewhere can’t get a research grant to link with climate change?

Decrease in sales of Vanilla slices linked to climate change!!!!

“The decision that I have made for my wife and I to step back, is not one I made lightly. It was so many months of talks after so many years of challenges.

Ginger nuts reading from Meg’s script?

162. Armadillo

I don’t doubt for a minute that Merkle has delusions of an American Royal family.

163. MatrixTransform

In any case I’d rather be healthily-hassled than sniped at

…I meant by trolls

Choosing Canada was a mistake then.

They already have a Queen.

165. Elizabeth (Lizzie) Beare

Haven’t seen any so far along Hopetoun Avenue, Vaucluse – harborside area main road for those who don’t know. I will go for a walk tomorrow and paste Roger’s printout over any I see. If I can reach them and provided I can get the printer going again. Sharma has probably put this lot up to it, and will be there in person on Saturday to accept admiration. Give him a print out and ask for comment, Cassie, if you make it to the demo.

Perhaps Hairy or I can forward it to him for perusal beforehand.

I am still dealing with Lives of the early Saints. They were great on miracles.
    We will be viewing some more Mad Men tonight though.
    Don Draper has been seeing imaginary things; must have inflammation a/c to Mitch.
    Brain going haywire. Been overdoing things, I think.

I have been sleeping really well lately. Thus feeling quite sparkly.
    Sleep is my answer to most problems. Usual litany of woes have poured into my phone today.
    Hairy and I spent nearly an hour advising someone on a Big Job Application today.
    Get more sleep, I’ve said to them all. 🙂

Scrolling along, noticed areff claps his hands at little Elsie cat.
    We do that to Attapuss. He gets totally freaked by it.
    Which is why I’ve been doing it to him when he tries to wake me early.
    Should’ve got tougher with him years ago. I’m learning.

166. pete m

Mh, try abc radio brisbane news for better local coverage

167. Armadillo

They already have a Queen.

Correct. The black face queen.

168. miltonf

for my wife and I

doesn’t even understand subjects and objects

169. Sydney Boy

Adam Bandt says our PM is a threat to life.

Like Bandt, di Natalie’s comments on the PM and cabinet are borderline defamation.

170. MatrixTransform

another dead Tesla?

Flux capacitors available any day soon … any … day … soon

171. old bloke

vlad
    #3297700, posted on January 20, 2020 at 6:39 pm

Henry Charles Albert David, no surname. I don’t know why he doesn’t have a surname, I thought that the protocol was that the heir would carry the family name Windsor, and the second and subsequent children would be named Mountbatten-Windsor. I see that little Archie has the Mountbatten-Windsor family name.

172. Crossie

But of course they had to attack ScoMo or somebody will notice that they were responsible. Just as the greenies are blowing smoke at all of us to stop us from holding them accountable for engineering the current catastrophe.

If not seditious (Bandt called for the overthrow of the government).

These grubs are using the bushfires to further their subversive political agenda.

174. Steve trickler

Turn up the volume. This capture is astonishing.

I had to ask myself if it is real. It is.

Reventador volcano, Ecuador. Activity documented between 5.-7.Jan.2020
    Filming in real time (including nighttime with near full moon).
    Rare highres material showing vulcanian and strombolian with volcanic lightning and shockwave. Now with real sound!
    Filmed from observation point in 4,5km distance east of the main summit cone.

175. Megan

Safest of safe bets.

176. Sydney Boy

Re: Sniping

A couple of hundred rounds per fortnight. Of course, some of the shooting is done in the simulator using lasers, which is quite a good set-up these days.

The simulators are really efficient. Prior to all live range shoots I prefer soldiers to spend a few hours in the simulator prior – it improves the scores but should ALWAYS be followed up with live shooting.

Adam Bandt says our PM is a threat to life.

Simple projection.

He and his party and their idiotic and evil policies are a threat to life.

178. Crossie

Adam Bandt says our PM is a threat to life.

Simple projection.

He and his party and their idiotic and evil policies are a threat to life.

And they are perfectly aware that they must deflect attention from themselves.

179. custard
    #3297620, posted on January 20, 2020 at 4:14 pm

He is a Howard/Photios plant and his mission was to deep six the alt right and libertarians & to split the PHON vote.

180. Geriatric Mayfly

Adam Bandt says …

150 Members in the House plus one scuttling, rabid rodent.

He and his party and their idiotic and evil policies are a threat to life.

C. 9% of the vote but c.90% of (positive) media attention from both public and private outlets.

The PM’s office doesn’t help by lining him up for interviews with the likes of the Stefanovic creature.

Are they incapable of learning from Trump? Don’t go through the msm. Go over them.

182. Don’t forget Howard proteges, Corman and Mickey Trumble championed legislation to make Senate elections “fairer” to whiny tossers like Antony Green; they made the quotas for anyone outside of the GRN lead ALP/LNP cartel ridiculously high, now Keating’s nightmare is complete and it really is representative swill.

The Senate does not represent the states and it does not represent near 40% of the electorate. Keep in mind we have compulsory voting!

Howard unleashed his dogs, Photios, Bernardi, Trumble and Corman, now green socialism with the monarchy as a front for conservatism is entrenched.

Too many careers, mortgages and NSW LNP conference/inter electorate office rooting was at stake for the little right wing parties to actually be successful.

My favourite: penguins sex life affected.

184. Let’s not forget Tonnee Yabbott’s (DLP) role in all of this…which was actually pretty crummy.

185. miltonf

Really odd how Bernadi wound up the party like it was all about him. The only ones who seem to have any traction are Mark and Pauline.

186. miltonf

PS what happened to Yellow Vests aka ALA?

Bernadi was the low energy jeb bush of Australian politics.

-27 C deg all week in the Arctic, with a moderate breeze all week. Looks like melting has been avoided this week.

189. miltonf

Glad I didn’t join. Thought about it. Australian Conservatives was not a good name- too stodgy.

190. Crossie

Has he surrounded himself with twenty-somethings like Kevin?

There is no way ScoMo will tweet anything of substance, he has been convinced that it’s low class.

191. mh

pete m
    #3297738, posted on January 20, 2020 at 7:46 pm
    Mh, try abc radio brisbane news for better local coverage

But people want to just jump straight online. ABC News Qld should be all over this basic stuff.

Check this out:

ABC finally posted on the storms … 5 minutes ago!

ScoMo should consider a total revamp of our national broadcaster. Effectively shutting down the ABC and reinventing it.

192. Mater

Agreed.

I wrote this a while back.

Mater
    #2784334, posted on August 8, 2018 at 6:50 pm

…I believe a significant portion of old Labor voters share a lot of our views (or a lot closer to our’s than the new ALP) but have been raised to hate anything associated with the words Conservative, Liberal, Coalition and Tory…in that order.

That’s why I think the Australian Conservatives have made a mistake with their name. These people just cannot bring themselves to even read the policies of, let alone vote for anyone associated with any of these four words. In their mind, the name alone demonstrates evil and the antithesis of their working class roots.

193. A mate sent me a screenshot over at the drum on fake book, where a lefty wants a 5 year emergency unelected government to deal with da climate crisis, then to have the same people write us a new constitution with a charter of libterties.

“To defeat communism, we need Pol Pot and a Year Zero”

Fuck me sideways, these people are incurably deluded.

Custard

What’s the next party off the rank you’ll be joining?

There’s some really bad global warming in parts of North America.

MONSTER BLIZZARD DROPS RECORD SNOW IN CANADA…

Drifts 15 feet high!

Jackson Hole Record Snowfall…

196. That’s why I think the Australian Conservatives have made a mistake with their name.

I no longer believe it was a mistake.

Look at the party launch.

It was stage managed to be revolting, unappealing and fail.

197. Knuckle Dragger

‘Our hope was to continue serving the Queen, the commonwealth, and my military associations, but without public funding. Unfortunately, this wasn’t possible,” he explained.’

Unfortunately.

‘Unfortunately my skank of a wife and her PR team thought my grandmother was just an old Nanna with a blankie on, and would give many fucks if we threatened to go on TV and say bad things about her and the rest of the family.’

‘Unfortunately my ginger-themed testes are right now in a small hanging pot directly above the garbage disposal, suspended only by a thin sliver of my wife’s sense of humour.’

‘Unfortunately, without my title and Dad’s income I’m just another skiving Pommy ranga who married above his station, which is really saying something.’

198. Knuckle Dragger

“To defeat communism, we need Pol Pot and a Year Zero”

Isn’t that Liability Bob’s thesis title?

Bird telling it how it is on Stepford’s silly blog

GMB said…

” Very much like Judith Curry, I would say. There is no other explanation.”

No you lying canute. These are leftist fires. You guys caused it because you fucking hate fuel control you complete canute.

“Leftist fires”… I like that.

200. Cassie of Sydney

“That’s why I think the Australian Conservatives have made a mistake with their name.”

Possibly……but I think that the problems were deeper. I don’t know about others but I always found the AC tepid and I just couldn’t get overly excited about the party. The party lacked cut through…unlike One Nation….particularly with Latham here in NSW…he has had considerable cut through. Also, I reckon that Cory came across as too elitist and pompous.

But seriously…….he and the party didn’t even last one electoral cycle. I’m sorry but Cory was and is a wimp. New electoral parties frequently take more than one electoral cycle to make an impact. But Cory lacked ticker…..big time…and he disappointed a lot of people….I know many who threw time and money into the AC….and how did he repay them….he spat the dummy…big time.

“To defeat communism, we need Pol Pot and a Year Zero”

Isn’t that Liability Bob’s thesis title?

It’s all the evil American’s fault…if they hadn’t bombed North Vietnamese supply dumps and the Ho Chi Minh trail..

202. Crossie

Harry has not thought this through, he has no skills other than military and those needed for royal events. He left the military and the royal family so what did he think he was going to do to earn a living? Activism doesn’t pay unless you have a foundation like Hillary to which people want to donate in expectation of quid pro quo.

Prince Edward has more or less withdrawn from any public service but he has a real job. Harry should have got some real world qualifications before he and Meghan drove off a cliff a la Thelma and Louise.

203. Tiny Dancer

Does Stepford still wear an ankle monitor?

“To defeat communism, we need Pol Pot and a Year Zero”

I assume this is a serious statement and not just sh*tstirring.

If so, the person is either stupid or wicked beyond belief. Or perhaps both.

205. Turtle

Albo’s name is actually Arse. He got confused.

206. OldOzzie

Finished watching Final Stages of Dakar Rally Saudi Arabia 2020 on SBS on Demand and followed it up with something completely different on SBS on DEmand

‘Loving Vincent’: Awe-inspiring animated portrait of Vincent van Gogh

65,000 hand-painted frames combine to create a visually stunning, one-of-a-kind animated portrait of the great Dutch artist.

Stand in front of a painting by Vincent van Gogh for more than five minutes, and your brain starts to react in strange ways. Even today, more than a century after the artist’s death, the brushstrokes pack an almost psychedelic energy, vibrating with an intensity that seems to have sprung directly from van Gogh’s tortured personal life. Now imagine staring at one of these paintings for 90 minutes straight — or crazier still, watching a series of them actually start to move.

Such was the vision Polish animator Dorota Kobiela had for Loving Vincent, a truly awe-inspiring portrait of the great Dutch artist that boasts the distinction of being “the world’s first fully painted feature film.” That means every one of the nearly 65,000 frames in this near-lunatic labour of love was rendered by hand with oil paints, following a style intended to mimic that of the master — which has precisely the effect you might imagine, pulling audiences into the delirious, hyper-sensual world suggested by van Gogh’s oeuvre.

The artist himself has been dead a year when the story begins, so we aren’t seeing things through his eyes so much as in ersatz homage to his style, where bold colours and thick, energetic strokes of paint transform traditional live-action footage into living tableaux, rendered all the richer by Clint Mansell’s gorgeous score. It’s an impressive conceit, and one that allows us to float through van Gogh’s “Starry Night Over the Rhone” or pop in for a drink at the “Cafe Terrace at Night” — just two of nearly 130 actual paintings that Kobiela and co-writer/director Hugh Welchman weave into the relatively conventional detective story (of all things!) that frames this one-of-a-kind work of art.

207. Fat Tony:

No. I decided to take a break when the dross to gemstones ratio hit 1:1. Fairly sure I explained the reason.
    Mark A claimed I ‘flounced’, but that wasn’t the intention – I needed a break because of health issues and stress. I didn’t trust myself not to lash out at a couple of idiots who were getting on everyone’s nerves.
    It was only a couple of weeks while I got affairs in order.
    Now things are in ordnung, and I can come back and indulge in my favourite sport – armadillo hunting and and and… the other one that I can’t think of at the moment.

208. Beertruk

Meanwhile in today’s Oz, ambulance chasers Slugs and Grubs coming out of the sewer. :
    Lawyers lock on to sport rorts scandal
    PAUL GARVEY

Lawyers are circling the $100m sports rorts scandal, with Slater and Gordon reaching out to sporting clubs in the hope of launching a class-action lawsuit.

Deputy Nationals leader Bridget McKenzie has been beset by calls for her resignation since the Australian National Audit Office last week said it found the then-sports minister had disproportionately directed federal community sports funding into marginal seats targeted by the government at the last election.

Senator McKenzie has dismissed calls for her resignation as “absolutely ridiculous”, saying no rules were broken in the process.

“Every dollar that went to a club whose application should have been unsuccessful is a dollar that didn’t end up with a club that Sport Australia had identified and recommended for funding in the course of proper processes,” Mr Baker said.

209. vlad

Slaters and Gorgon are enough to give ambulance chasing a bad name.

Slaters and Gorgon are enough to give ambulance chasing a bad name.

Wasn’t there an ex – Prime Minister who used to work for them?

211. Crossie

It is the Premiers, Gladys, Anastasia and Dan Andrews, whose heads must roll or or at least those of their ministers. Since they are all in agreement with the greens ScoMo will have to do as a hate figure.

CSIRO has long ago lost any respect it had and both it and the ABC need to be reformed or restructured to be of any use. Every workplace I have ever worked was regularly restructured to move with the times and clients or customers needs. The ABC seems to be above everything and everybody, their only focus is themselves and most of their clients, the rest of Australia, can get stuffed.

212. Slater and Gordon class actions practice group leader Andrew Baker on Sunday said sporting clubs that missed out on funding under the program may have a case for compensation.

What grounds is this suit being founded upon? What standing?

I forget myself. Slugs & Grubs (and Mo BB) are weaponised & politicised ALP social justice outfits.

Oh right so Baker is going to become an unelected Minister for Sportsball.

Just fucking great.

“Sport Australia” is of course infallible, there is no such thing as Ministerial discretion (or judgment or free will) and Ministers are eternally bound to advice of public servants, no matter how poor.

Three cheers for the deep state!

The correct and obvious thing to do is bone the whole damned circus.

Amazing that they’re seeking compensation on what appears to be rather weak administrative law grounds.

A simple reason for the funding pattern is that marginal electorates tend to be in growth areas where aspirational voters and their kids play sport and there is provision for sporting fields.

Less funding in the electorates of Melbourne and North Sydney.

It isn’t a conspiracy or a payday in the making.

213. 8th Dan

Harry could fill in his days as a chopper pilot … taking the tourists heli-mushing.

214. vlad

Wasn’t there an ex – Prime Minister who used to work for them?

She wasn’t up to their ethical standards so she had to become leader of the ALP.

215. mh

Sinclair must be supporting the white helmets.

216. vlad

Today is Buzz Aldrin’s 90th birthday, by the way. I hope he makes 100.

217. Crossie

Less funding in the electorates of Melbourne and North Sydney.

It isn’t a conspiracy or a payday in the making.

And this is the reason I am not fussed at all about this supposed scandal or the one it is compared to, Ros Kelly and the whiteboard. This has been happening since the dawn of politics and will go on long after we are all gone.

218. Knuckle Dragger

It’s a penis, mh.

A big, white patriarchal and poorly painted penis.

Probably something to do with Alan Joyce. Hi None!

219. Knuckle Dragger

Still better than poorly painted pudenda, so there’s that.

220. miltonf

Sums it up pretty well Mater- One Nation, United Australia Party are names with punch and zing. Australian Conservatives conjures up images of Sir Bufton Tufton.

221. miltonf

I wonder why Menzies didn’t keep the UAP name.

222. mh

Some ideas if Sinclair wants to continue on his art theme

The slapper gave the uni which gave her a professorship in law (when she can’t get a practising certificate) $100 million. Turdball gave some filth freaks $460 million to save the fucking GBR and prissy a sweet 225 billion for subs that are already obsolete.

Nothing to see with McKenzie who can handle a shotgun well.

The fact is if scomo doesn’t grow a pair of supersized nuts and starts kicking the liars and filth in the clacker he is stuffed. He’s lost the narrative and looks like a pea-hen in a spot-light.

224. hzhousewife

Today I heard of a sports club who applied for a grant, was called by Bridget’s office for confirmation of use of dollars, and then given MORE than they applied for.

225. Crossie

Rowan Dean is having a field day on Paul Murray’s show, pointing out what we have been saying here for weeks. It is the state governments who are responsible for the fires, particularly the draconian laws and regulations about clearing of trees and fuel load on your own land as well as national parks and forests.

Rowan is not shy to suggest that Matt Keen is more interested in renewables which enrich his friends than about preventing fires. Michael Kroger tried to shut him up though.

226. mh

Michael Kroger tried to shut him up though.

FMD. Can Kroger just FOAD.

This “Scott Morrison from Marketing” doesn’t help.

228. Knuckle Dragger

‘Sir Bufton Tufton.’

Exactly.

A nice man in a nice suit with a nice (not too garish mind), who speaks nicely about nice things. Attack a point of view? Discredit someone? Dear God, no. Impolite. We’d rather everyone get along, so no rocking the boat old bean.

And should have a 1940s newsreader voice.

‘And here, look at our brave Australian boys marching as one through the streets, on their way to see off the Jap. God Save the King!’

229. Knuckle Dragger

*mind) tie*

Someone, please rid me of the penis banner.

Boner.

Shit.

230. Geriatric Mayfly

A para from a scathing assessment of La Markle at American Thinker. Her trump card, it contends, is to fling racismwhenever she is in the firing line.

The roadside bomb in the royal family named Meghan Markle exploded not because of immoral conduct in the conventional sense. Markle is the first duchess who hails from the American left-wing, post-Christian, anti-moral belief system that worships the journey of self-directed personal actualization. Her justification after only a few months of marriage for urging hubby away from his family? “It is not enough to survive, you have to thrive.”

And should have a 1940s newsreader voice.

There was a campaign advertisement for the Liberals in 1949, where the young lady was going to vote for “Mr Menzies, because he speaks so nicely.”

232. Knuckle Dragger

mh,

Great Albanese pic just then.

Probably got a discount and everything.

233. Cassie of Sydney

“Rowan is not shy to suggest that Matt Keen is more interested in renewables which enrich his friends than about preventing fires. “

Rowan spoke the truth……we all know that the Kean renewable conga line extends to Photios.

Inside the boat party from hell: Reveller is rushed to hospital with a suspected overdose and another man is arrested after urinating on deck and spitting on a police officer

Party descended into chaos after a man overdosed and another was arrested
    The second man urinated on deck and then spat on a police officer
    More than 400 people were on board the SeaDeck boat, including TV star
    SeaDeck claims to be a ‘floating oasis’ and a ‘unique venue’ on its website

Daily Mail. All right, which of you lot was it?

235. Geriatric Mayfly

Ari Solomon

Verified account
    Candles in the kale.
    @VeganAri
    Follow Follow @VeganAri
    Just how vile is our president? Well, he chose Michelle Obama’s birthday to announce he’s undoing the work she did to make school lunches healthier for American children.

236. Knuckle Dragger

‘@VeganAri’

Eat shit, VeganAri.

Oh. You’re way ahead of me. Carry on.

237. feelthebern

Which Cat will be the first to “Better Call Paul”.

238. Steve trickler

“Virginia State Senator Issues Warning Hours before Monday’s 2A Rally: “We Are Being Set Up”

Try that again.