Tuesday Forum: March 17, 2020

5,116 Responses to Tuesday Forum: March 17, 2020

1 13 14 15 16 17 21

I knew my diamanté Q&A codpiece would come in handy.

For formal occasions.

2. Johanna would shag him, for sure.
    Oooooooooo

Ahah!

The codpiece gets first dibs.

4. Rossini

don’t forget to wipe petrol pump before you fill up!

5. zyconoclast

Cum-ex: UK bankers sentenced in Germany’s biggest tax fraud case
    The “cum-ex” scheme saw two British bankers scam the German state out of over €400 million in double tax rebates. They have been sentenced and fined — but most of the money they stole may never be recovered.

6. feelthebern

Mr Joyce said Woolworths boss Brad Banducci had contacted him to see if Qantas hosties could work in customer service and baggage handlers could stock shelves until the airline was back in the air.

Expect the chuckers to lose a lot of shit.
    & the stuff that makes it to the shelf will be shite condition.

7. Struth

The grim rates come as a new study finds a growing number of those infected in Italy are now aged between 19 – 50.

This bullshit type propaganda leaking out with expert timing.
    None of them are dying,, more are being checked.

No one knows how many are infected…………………no one.

8. feelthebern

don’t forget to wipe petrol pump before you fill up!

With my dick?
    Or my tongue?
    Or both?
    In which order?

9. feelthebern

zyco, that cum-ex trade was a global one.
    Last time I took notice of it there were 400+ defendants.

10. Porter

Old School Conservative
    #3364405, posted on March 19, 2020 at 5:34 pm

Creative thinking by why give jobs to people who already have jobs? Why not get locals to do the jobs.

11. don’t forget to wipe petrol pump before you fill up!

Hehe, E85,ftw!
    I got my own pump! No one else can use Dragon Energy!
    My Humongous outfit better be here in 3 days as promised!

12. lotocoti

Until there’s a vaccine, it’s either quarantine or universal testing until ChiComWuFlu dies out.

13. feelthebern

don’t forget to wipe petrol pump before you fill up!

That’s what she said &
    Phrasing.

14. Porter

Joyce should have said sure, if they all wear an Izzy Folau t-shirt with a copy of his instagram post on the back and a Qantas are arseholes logo on the front.

15. feelthebern

Google “malaria drugs”.
    Some great reading.
    Elon said it a few days ago.
    Genius.

16. Infidel Tiger

Let it ride.

People need to eat and live.

17. Struth

Infections do not equal deaths.
    Infections do not equal deaths.
    Infections do not equal deaths.

We do not deserve our civilisation.

I hope I’m wrong but the insanity I am witnessing and the government insanity especially, is sickening to say the least.
    We’re very close to complete breakdown and collapse.

Because over the years good men did nothing.

18. feelthebern

We’re very close to complete breakdown and collapse.

Rock, paper, scissors, GUN !

You know, just saying, if a glance at headlines to stories in the daily papers is any guide we could be close to a bottom on the fear vs greed side of the equation.

20. Nick

A couple of Mainland students were looking at PS4 games and , while I was browsing. I hoped they weren’t self isolating and were out looking for some boredom relief.

Woolworths CEO Brad Banducci gives up potential $2.6 million bonus

Woolworths CEO Brad Banducci has missed out on millions of dollars in the wake of the supermarket giant underpayment scandal.

What an idiot. Personally I would have gone to the board and asked for much more.

22. Struth, shut up with your positivity trolling.
    But bemoaning our long list old Aussie.
    It’s gone,xunt.
    The new dawn is here.
    We use the fake virus emergency against them.
    AltStraya. Get used to it!

23. Top Ender

I saw a vid of a dude putting on a g-string around his stupid face/head as a mask.

Does it have to be empty to do that?

24. feelthebern

Imagine how many knock shops and r&t joints are struggling.
    Word is that the government is going to send “relief” vouchers out with the $700 cheques.

25. Mater

9 News says there is a secret warehouse in Melbourne, full of toilet paper, enough for everyone, ready to roll.

I say, cut out the middleman and just dump it at Coles in Box Hill. Don’t make them waste the Diesel.

26. we could be close to a bottom on the fear vs greed side of the equation.

Stop with your medical mumbo-jumbo, spit it out,Doc!!?!
    H/t Homeboy
    🤣

27. feelthebern

That’s news? Sounds like a twitter scam.

28. Megan

I presume you would pinch the underwire with long nosed pliers to make the nose-bridge?

Only if it is an underwire bra. But you are guaranteed people will give a wide berth to anyone wearing their bra on their face, no?

29. Farmer Gez

Never seen a day like this in grain trade.
    The big Aussie dump has boosted prices but that’s coincided with a big pickup in demand. The place has gone nuts.
    China is buying grain and boats heading for WA. Eastern markets react as a good chunk of this grain ends up in feedlots in SE Queensland.

Wow! Who knew that fines would settle if they weren’t stirred up?

Thank you Captain Obvious.

Arresting moment POLICE are forced to hand out toilet paper as panic buying sparks supermarket brawls across the country amid coronavirus pandemic

Officers are forced to handout toilet paper at supermarkets amid COVID-19
    Some people were frustrated that police were forced to dish out the product
    Shelves have been stripped of necessary products amid COVID-19 pandemic

Daily Mail.

32. Everyone should go to Bunnings and get a small pinch bar.
    Perfect weapon. Up close&personal. My style.
    Not too heavy, not too light, easily concealed, silent, and effective. 3KG?
    About $15.
    Give them to your groms at Easter.
    Get fkn Ready.

Bern

I’m sure you know, but the ECB announced another 700 plus billion QE program on top of the other one they just announced. And still they will possibly fuck it up one way or another. This applies to all the major CBs. They could end up over doing it too!

All they need to do is announce that from this day, on they will do what is needed (along with a chart map of their progress) to reach the inflation mandate over a period of three odd years and if the inflation rate is higher in year one or two, they will aggregate that as part of the total. In other words, if the mandate is 2% the accumulated inflation for that 3 year period will be 6% but can’t promise year one isn’t higher etc.. along those crude lines. Markets simply don’t believe them at the moment as we believe they are simply trying to mitigate for the short term. Stocks are being pulverized because people think earnings/income will be lower much further out than when the virus is still a problem.

34. Pick the bottom?
    Ooooo
    That’s alot of Catchee for years,yo!
    Investment Cats, get on this!

35. Howard Hill

panic-buying-sparks-increase-in-poached-eggs

I prefer mine scrambled 🙂

36. notafan

Worldometer has current US deaths at 155.

Is someone posting random Q class without links or attribution?

#moveoveranne

37. Fear v Greed is the only equation a trader needs to understand, I think?
    Always go against the herd. And Monty.
    😏

38. Fines?
    Lol, a pyrate pays no Mind to scary letters.
    Fk that.
    Come at me bro
    #FinesViktoria

39. hzhousewife

Mother Lode
    #3363879, posted on March 19, 2020 at 1:24 pm
    Just got an automated call ‘from’ NBN Co telling me that they were going to shut off my NBN connection unless I arranged with them to have it switched back on.

I let it go as far as ‘Press one to be put in touch with a technician’ –

My identical calls are still from Telstra ! Started two weeks ago, I may invest in a whistle tomorrow.
    And the Zimbabwe calls to my (elderly) iphone have resumed – I block them all one by one.
    Desperate times, desperate measures.

40. random Q class

Ooooooo
    Q pills are verboten!
    🤐

41. Howard Hill

I just told one poonjabi a recent study shows caronavirus can be transmitted over the phone. …. Click!

42. Mitch M.

Speedbox
    #3364410, posted on March 19, 2020 at 5:37 pm
    Zyconoclast
    #3364341, posted on March 19, 2020 at 5:19 pm

I would need to find it but I’m fairly sure that Federal legislation compels manufacturers to supply parts for a period of 10 years after they cease to supply a particular model (or make) in Australia.

True, not sure about the 10 years but definitely are requirements of that nature.

Catchee knifee is a game that is difficult to play Gunner.

How To Catch A Falling Knife

44. MatrixTransform

If you get China Flu can you just stay home, drink and smoke darts, or do you have to be professionally quarantined?

i’m sure there’s a quarantine broker somewhere who specialises in this

45. struth

Six old people have died this year from a contagious virus.
    1163 last year.

Because over the years good men did nothing.

Pasty cants are our future, Comrade.

47. feelthebern

Six old people have died this year from a contagious virus.

Oh I knoooooow.

48. Megan

Calli, OMG! I’d run like hell in the opposite direction if I saw any of those coming towards me in the supermarket toilet paper aisle. 😳😳😳

49. old bloke

Mother Lode
    #3363879, posted on March 19, 2020 at 1:24 pm

Could have been a genuine call ML? How long has NBN been in your area? When it was rolled out where I live we were told that existing land-line telephone services would continue to be supported for 12 months, and after that arrangements had to be made to transfer your old Telstra land-line service to a new NBN service or it would be disconnected.

If you don’t have an existing Telstra land-line service, you can ignore that call.

50. Cassie of Sydney

I am working from home and today I went to my pilates class at the small studio that I go to. I want to support them but I am also getting cabin fever being stuck indoors..so I just had to get out. I walked to the studio and what was nice, on this beautiful Sydney day, was seeing many elderly people out and about…walking in the sunshine. My own mother and stepfather insisted on playing croquet today and good on her.

LS Engines may become much more valuable than Coyotes.
    Seems to be a growing US Import Market for (wrecked) V8 Holdens, which may make used ones more valuable.

Trump’s behavior has been exemplary this past week or so. Very prez-like and not much hostile tweeting.

You know, this dude hasn’t had a even break throughout his period in office. From Wussigate to this. It’s a hard job doing it right.

53. old bloke

Mother Lode
    #3363879, posted on March 19, 2020 at 1:24 pm

Could have been a genuine call ML? How long has NBN been in your area? When it was rolled out where I live we were told that ex isting* land-line telephone services would continue to be supported for 12 months, and after that arrangements had to be made to transfer your old Telstra land-line service to a new NBN service or it would be disconnected.

If you don’t have an ex isting* Telstra land-line service, you can ignore that call.

* – bloody spaminator

54. Infidel Tiger

17 new cases in WA!

Yes finally. If I’m losing everything I want chaos and destruction.

If I’m losing everything I want chaos and destruction.

The Chicoms take over Aus, and we supply cheap white trash labour?

Hells bells!

Just saw a clip of one of those halfwit doctors stuck on the Azamara. Wanting help because of his chronic illness. And he now wants the taxpayer to bring him home.

This guy hopped on his junket cruise when Diamond Princess was in quarantine. He did not take additional medication with him.

Strike the idiot off. He’s irresponsible with his own health. What would he be like with someone else’s?

Uh oh. I have injured bespoke’s delicate eyeba lls.

Mea culpa.

Snorting coke from hookers’ navels does have its price.

59. miltonf

Too right JC. He’s one hell of a guy.

60. Infidel Tiger

That ship of fools should be sunk.

That is the most comically ridiculous things I’ve ever heard.

Worldwide pandemic? Let’s cruise!

That’s the sort of shit a vacuous eastern suburbs narcissist would do.

61. bespoke

No good deed go’es unpunished and revenge is best served cold.

Teh Dumb: Qantas staffers whining, again.

63. Shy Ted

Solution to the TP panic buying. Keep in the fridge til needed. Happy to help.

64. Thefrollickingmole

WA up to 52.
    Apparently no local transmissions.
    Bloody furriners bringing in their furrin diseases

65. Cassie of Sydney

Mocker’s piece in today’s Australian is excellent and worth a read….we can only hope that this will put an end to the bullshit virtue signalling of the major corporations…..such as the Banks, Qantas, BHP and so on.

66. P

Yes finally. If I’m losing everything I want chaos and destruction.

Invest in World’s Hottest New Currency.

Tailgunner
    #3364421, posted on March 19, 2020 at 5:44 pm

I thought he was M0nty’s b1tch, buying him lunch.

IT, Lizzie will get back under her own steam, with her own money. If necessary, she’ll wait it out in the US.

This “doctor” and his pals want something quite different.

Because Special.

Can I hire a Qantas staffer in a Gimp outfit to walk down the shops on a leash?

70. notafan

Did the cruising doctors get travel insurance?

Did it cover pandemic?

Did they go any way?
    And yes fare discounting stops when you are about to cancel all your international flights.

Trump is allowing a lot of policies through the door that are really socialism, or at least creeping in that direction. Handing out the $1k helicopter money will no doubt create inflation so if you love inflation then that’s fine … but you couldn’t call it capitalism. It could easily be the start of a UBI system coming in the USA, and that’s not exactly socialism but again, creeping in that direction.

72. Porter

Shorten breaks ranks on school closures

Several Labor MPs have broken ranks with Anthony Albanese and state premiers to argue in favour of school closures.

Opportunistic c-word as usual. This sort of stuff acts as a contagion.

Qantas has $2Bil in cash, $8 Bil debts this Fin Year.
    Others were criticising SATP?

74. Nick

Calli, his tone was astounding. It was more than that, almost demanding the Government do something ‘or businesses will suffer’.

Imagine their chortling, a tax deductible ‘conference’ on a cruise. They can take a leap.

Tel

I was simply talking about his behavior, not the shitty policies.

Serendipity:

I’ve had a financial windfall courtesy an obscure investment & I got some mince at the supermarket today!

77. notafan

And I bet he wanted an apology too.

Luxury!

Luxury!

I’ll say.

Spag bol tomorrow night!

People driving from Coffs and Armidale to the Dorrigo Butcher’s, Arma?
    Russell Crowe?

There’s hope!

FDA Approved Anti-Malarial drug showing efficacy in halting the Coronavirus
    Stop sign
    Chloroquine Phosphate helped S Korea and china slow down the virus. US Govt has stockpiled and is using it to protect healthcare workers now

and

A renowned research professor in France has reported successful results from a new treatment for Covid-19, with early tests suggesting it can stop the virus from being contagious in just six days.

Professor Didier Raoult from infection hospital l’Institut Hospitalo-Universitaire (IHU) Méditerranée Infection in Marseille (Bouches-du-Rhône, Provence-Alpes-Côte d’Azur), published a video explaining the trials on Monday March 16.

Professor Raoult is an infectious diseases specialist and head of the IHU Méditerranée Infection, who has been tasked by – and consulted by – the French government to research possible treatments of Covid-19.

He said that the first Covid-19 patients he had treated with the drug chloroquine had seen a rapid and effective speeding up of their healing process, and a sharp decrease in the amount of time they remained contagious.

Chloroquine – which is normally used mainly to prevent and treat malaria – was administered via the named drug, Plaquenil.

If there’s no Wagyu Beef, Russ might throw his mobile phone at the staff?

83. mh

JC
    #3364506, posted on March 19, 2020 at 6:37 pm

And don’t forget when the COVID-19 story was developing in Wuhan, the Democrats were impeaching the President in the House knowing full well there was nothing to it and Trump would be cleared by the Senate.

You heard it first at the Cat

Indeed, we did, courtesy calli.

85. You know, this dude hasn’t had a even break throughout his period in office

Bloody good post, JC
    Spot on.
    Trump is god

86. Porter

I say boo hoo. A child’s education is a parent’s responsibility. If they pull their kid out of school for no reason then they can’t demand teachers to teach them. You can learn to home school, idiot people.

87. Farmer Gez

$2o a kilo for beef mince is here.
    Meat pies – kangaroos – and Holden cars.
    Only the bloody Roos left.
    Shoot the bastards and make Skippy burgers a national dish.

In the Pre-Cambrian Era, when I was newly married, there was a cookbook just out – One Hundred Ways With Mince.

The 2020 version – One Hundred Ways With Sawdust.

89. Fisky

Truckloads of dead bodies in Italy. Not a good advertisement for a laissez-faire approach to the virus.

90. Hehe, I can hear the sirens from the G.
    Streets are quiet. Just cars &electric Indians bringing food.
    Dusty’s done a hammy! Oh noes!

91. Caveman

Crowd count for Richmond and Carlton match , 0

92. Porter

egg_
    #3364529, posted on March 19, 2020 at 7:02 pm

Can I hire a Qantas staffer in a Gimp outfit to walk down the shops on a leash?

So it was you, egg?

93. Armadillo

It’s interesting that it looks like the RBA is going to help out small business.

Farmers during the drought got assistance (low interest loans mainly), but it was expected that they should have had a “buffer” installed within their business for the “bad times”.

I’m curious as to why small business (and big business) isn’t expected to have a “buffer” as well.

I fully realise that it’s more complicated than that, but there does seem to be a double standard here.

I guess we will have to wait and see the finer details.

94. Farmer Gez

ABC 7.30 has scare monger in chief, Dr Norman Swan rattling the chains.
    This greasy bastard should be isolated from the public for the national good. He’s a GP but talks on the radio for a living and he’s a Scottish git, one of the humourless earnest pricks.

95. Actually, some loud cheers then for the bounce from the pub …
    Carn the Blues was clear!
    Good stuff.
    Straya

96. Fisky

The WHO put out this irresponsible garbage while China was still muzzling doctors who tried to blow the whistle. The same organization has banned Taiwan from joining. Disgusting.

World Health Organization (WHO)
    @WHO
    Preliminary investigations conducted by the Chinese authorities have found no clear evidence of human-to-human transmission of the novel #coronavirus (2019-nCoV) identified in #Wuhan, #ChinaFlag of China.
    WHO Thailand and 2 others
    7:18 PM · Jan 14, 2020

The 2020 version – One Hundred Ways With Sawdust.

Local butcher’s cabinet was half empty and mince was $17.99 a kilo.

Thankfully chicken seems to be well supplied for now at least.

My wife bought some lentils as an emergency back up.

Back up won’t be a problem if it comes to that.

It’s always the timelines, Fisky.

I hope someone is taking screenshots.

99. Armadillo

This entire thing will be an administrative boondoggle. It will be difficult to figure out once people start complaining about the rorters.

Forget about “Bat Soup”, concentrate on “Pink Bats” on steroids.

100. mh

Fisky
    #3364563, posted on March 19, 2020 at 7:36 pm

OBOR acts like political correctness on a nation.
    Italy knew they had to stop the Chinks flying in but just didn’t have the ba lls to do it in case they upset Beijing.

101. mh

Fisky
    #3364563, posted on March 19, 2020 at 7:36 pm

OBOR acts like political correctness on a nation.
    Italy knew they had to stop the Chi nks flying in but just didn’t have the ba lls to do it in case they upset Beijing.

102. Farmer Gez

Trump treatment of the press pack is a joy to watch.
    He dismisses their inane memes like a teacher addressing Primary Schoolers.

103. Mark from Melbourne

Tulips.

Anyone who is trying to trade in this environment is either wildly over-stating their own competence in understanding what is essentially chaos or they believe that they have identified the next big thing in tulips.

Stop. That trick, as Rocky once said to Bullwinkle, never works. Hunker down. When the market turns, wait for it to turn by 20% and then by all means buy with your ears pinned back.

Always remember tulips. Or the South Sea Bubble if you’re more historically inclined.

104. MatrixTransform

Crowd count for Richmond and Carlton match , 0

time to show it at the Dromana and Coburg Drive-ins

105. mh

Amateurs should not be attempting to catch falling knives.

Who gives a rats about the chunk virus when we’ve still got the whacky RoP folks to giggle at:

Belgium: Government orders surgical masks for center for asylum-seekers, not for Belgians

Germany: RoP migrants riot, display isis State flag at asylum center over coronavirus quarantine

And the alarmists still want to close down the fossils.

I’m getting a few 9mm and .357 boxes tomorrow.

108. Mark from Melbourne

Amateurs should not be attempting to catch falling knives.

… And those who think they are not amateurs are, well, misled.

109. Zatara

Oil prices are dirt cheap.

What a great time to buy up a heap of it for the national strategic oil reserve!

Oh. Never mind.

OBOR acts like political correctness on a nation.

It’s not just that. The factories are utterly dependant upon Chinese labour, legal or illegal.

Too many vested interests for sensible policy to prevail.

111. Geriatric Mayfly

If there’s no Wagyu Beef, Russ might throw his mobile phone at the staff?

Someone above said that there is still woke wagyu on the shelves, and even soy lamb.

112. hzhousewife

Just heard on Bolt that Catherine Hamlin has died – she was a heroine of the first order,
    WIKI

113. MatrixTransform

Spoke to my mother and asked he why she stabbed the guy in the carpark at work.
    Stole my TP, she said without hesitation

She did go on to say that the stabber had done a runner with a trolley full of stuff.
    The stabbee must have confronted him

Mother works about 100m from the scene.

gossip.

114. Mark from Melbourne

Did I mention tulips?

Oh. Never mind.

No worries, mate.

Our strategic reserve is safe and sound & stored underground in Texas & Louisiana.

116. MatrixTransform

Mark from Melb, what happened with the COVID test with yr olds?

117. Megan

Catherine Hamlin was one of my heroes! Straight to the nearly here’s for her.

118. hzhousewife

If that is the case, the number of younger Chinese workers would reduce the statistical age of the deaths in Lombardy. Or, does China send 80 year old workers to Lombardy factories??

I want to hear that the strain of virus in northern Italy is the very same strain as that from Wuhan, China. I have my doubts.

Catherine Hamlin has died

Gone to glory. What a magnificent, loving and self-sacrificing doctor.

120. mh

Too many vested interests for sensible policy to prevail.

Victorians take note.

Their abc does a loving expose on the chunk buyers in Australia, called daigou, who swarm buy products to be sent back to their homeland:

122. hzhousewife

Further to above – I’m assuming some of the dead in Italy are actually Chinese persons? Or are they only Italian persons? (forgive my racism here, how else to say it? )

123. Beertruk

From Tim Blair:

She Mentioned the War
    Tim Blair, The Daily Telegraph
    March 19, 2020 6:14pm
    Just a thought, but German chancellor Angela Merkel could perhaps have chosen a less problematic reference:

Angela Merkel told Germany it is facing its greatest challenge since the Second World War in the struggle against the coronavirus on Wednesday.

In her first televised address to the nation in more than 14 years in power, Mrs Merkel asked Germans to stand together.

“This is serious. And we must take it seriously,” the German chancellor said. “There has been no such challenge to our country since German reunification – no, not since the Second World War – that relies so heavily on us all working together in solidarity.”

Germans “working together in solidarity” actually caused the Second World War. In other boxhead developments, here’s some rib-tickling stalag satire from Germany’s version of a typical ABC comedian:

YOUTUBE

We took it far too easy on those bastards after ’45.

124. mh

That’s easy. We’ll let you work it out.

It isn’t racism, housewife, it’s reality. And honesty would help us get a handle on exactly what is happening.

Truth needs no apology.

126. Porter

Foreigners could be banned from coming to Australia for SIX MONTHS in a move that may cripple the tourism industry – as coronavirus cases rise to 710 and PM says 80% came from abroad

Daily Mail. Frankly I wondered if there was a bit of medical tourism. Why stay in your third world hellhole if you get sick? Come to Australia and get free hospital care.

127. MatrixTransform

called daigou

what a horridly annoying website.

I’ll confirm the Daigou are real, we housed and fed them for years while they did their Masters

128. johanna

calli
    #3364562, posted on March 19, 2020 at 7:35 pm

The 2020 version – One Hundred Ways With Sawdust.

I remember that book – a staple in student group houses in the early 70s.

People only ever cooked spag bol and chili con carne, though.

The other great standby was Tuna Casserole. Yum! 😉

129. Armadillo

People driving from Coffs and Armidale to the Dorrigo Butcher’s, Arma?
    Russell Crowe?

I think he’s just outside of Coffs. Russ would probably chopper in like Bronwyn (but not on the taxpayer teat).

130. Megan

JFC! How could auto corrupt turn PEARLY GATES into nearly here’s? And we are looking forward to AI running our lives? It’s going to make digital prescriptions more dangerous than the ones written by illegible medicos.

Not sure if ethnicity is recorded on Italian death certficates – Anthony Albanese should know.

132. Helen

Immigrants arrive here with residence visas – meaning they will be let in – so there will be no such ban unless you can provide documentary evidence otherwise.

Not true. Our agent has told us today that even if visa is issued (applied for more than a month ago) my farmer family will NOT be let in.

133. Megan

134. Helen

Pretty sure all the chicom workers went back to china where they were isolated in hotels for 14 days and clear test. One of the hotels fell down, killing some people.

Chicom work. Built to last.

135. MatrixTransform

Just remember waht Dick Ers Dan told us all a week ago …

” Like der! of course the Gran Prix is going ahead…”

136. Helen

Megan I have a great little Irish cookbook which does a similar job.

For fritters, take mashed potato and equal amount of raw grated potato, … etc

Anthony Albanese should know.

His dad was Italian (obviously); although you’d never guess it from his citizenship declaration to parliament.

Corona good news from Zat’s link.

Coronavirus Is Wiping Out Billions In Clean Energy Investments

On that subject, gerbil warming hasn’t been in the news of late in the category of existential threats. 🙂

139. vlad

For fritters, take mashed potato and equal amount of raw grated potato, … etc

And serve with chips.

140. Mother Lode

Trump: Calling It “Chinese Virus” Is “Not Racist At All — It Came From China”

The MSM and other morons should explain how China is a race (as opposed to a nation) rather than Asian.

Call me crazy, call me irresponsible. I closed my Aussie short earlier and just bought Dow futures for a trade.

142. Mark from Melbourne

Mark from Melb, what happened with the COVID test with yr olds?

Good memory that man!

FiL cleared.Turns out if you’re going to get pneumonia, best to get it early. I have two 89 yos who I am looking after, but so far so good.

143. vlad

The HCA is only hearing special leave applications tomorrow.

Officially that will be the end of sittings for the next three months.

Where that leaves the Pell judgment I have no idea. Do they come back – while on a nominal break – and say “We’ve finished!!” Dunno. And although the odds are lengthening I refuse to give up hope.

144. vlad

The Richmond-Carlton game is going as you would expect of the pennant-winner versus a bottom-third-of-the-ladder team, ie a drubbing.

Good on the AFL, though, for keeping the comp running. It’s good to see someone – someone, anywhere – not panicking.

145. notafan

I would jump to conclusions and say that younger Chinese workers were more likely to recover than veey elderly Italian retirees.

another obvious point; a very significant number of cases in Australia were imported directly from overseas.

The Australian healthcare website keeps updating those cases.

so why would you assume that the disease in Italy is a different strain to the disease in China when there is an obvious clear link between the two countries and one follow the other in outbreaks?

146. Geriatric Mayfly

I mentioned it recently. The Presbyterian Women’s Cookbook is a classic. Wholesome, nourishing and at times innovative recipes, that would have been welcome at any Australian table up until the 70’s. Later editions even carried an effnic section which was straightforward and no nonsense. No glossy pictures. There were tips too for the new bride, but they may have been quietly put aside, now that challenges for new ‘home-makers’ is likely to trigger the offenderati.

147. Cassie of Sydney

“Megan
    #3364633, posted on March 19, 2020 at 8:14 pm
    I have a great book from my granny on 100 ways with spuds. Potato scone bread, hot from the oven and dripping with butter is still my favourite comfort food.”

Yummy……I have some yummy Jooooish recipes…potato kugel (with a lot of pepper) and potato latkes are two of my faves.

148. MatrixTransform

potato kugel (with a lot of pepper) and potato latkes are two of my faves.

share them woman!

…or is this some secret ?

149. Megan

I have that PW cookbook in my collection as well, Mayfly. I can make the savoury mince recipe in my sleep. Great with mashed potato. And chips if I’m serving it up to vlad.😉

150. Megan

Love latkes and kugel. Potatoes have been given a bad rap by the keto/anticarb hordes.

I’m coming to your place next time I’m in Sydney!

151. johanna

If there is a shortage of red meat, my Tuna Casserole can feed the masses at 25c a head.

I know, because I did it in the 70s.

OK, scale it up for inflation, maybe $2.50 – $3. And that’s big serves for ravenous young male students.

Ingredients – a big tin of tuna in water, frying oil, sliced onions, chopped tomatoes (tinned is fine), and random vegetables (but not brassicas), cheap gratable cheese, salt and pepper.

Method – lightly fry veges, cook pasta, mix together with drained flaked tuna and seasoning – don’t be stingy with seasoning. Place in casserole dish, grate a decent amount of cheese on top, bake till someone remembers to take it out of the oven.

If you want to be arty, layer sliced tomatoes on top under the cheese.

Anyone wanting to teach a young person a survival dish could do worse.

It heats up OK next day as well, although at our place it was usually wolfed cold, in the unlikely event that there were any leftovers. You know, munchies.

Good times. 🙂

Lol. J-ws and food. Even the Sultan names himself after a dumpling.

Good stuff.

My s-i-l’s favourites are latkes. And banoffee pie. And he’s built like a greyhound.

I put hardboiled eggs in mine, Joh. And capers. Because cheffie.

154. Armadillo

Mrs A apparently has a proven recipe for any type of meat.

Throw it under the griller, wait until it burns, and then throw it on a plate.

She must be pretty convinced it’s a winner. She keeps doing it.

155. MatrixTransform

I don’t wanna look up some dodgy internet recipe.
    I wan’t the real deal

c’mon, cough it up.

156. Bear Necessities

You’re irresponsible JC.

157. MatrixTransform

cough it up.

sorry … phrasing

158. Thefrollickingmole

Beer truck

Too much bomber Harris or not enough?
    Very ABC quality humour, waves of smug coming off the screen as a soft handed chatterratti got busy inflicting his limited wit on oldies.
    Didn’t see many Boche dissing Yank productivity during the Berlin airlift either.

159. Infidel Tiger

This is what happens when you staff your aged care facilities and hospitals with foreign China Virus filled celestials and run a third world health system.

Those poor old Ities forgot to instil their values into their children and now they die by truckload, chocking to death in agony while foreign vermin push them into a death pit.

160. Helen

Presbyterian Women’s cookbook on internet archive

161. vlad

Jeremy Gans says the HCA can come back with a judgment any time during the break.

Okay.

I still would expect them to announce it the night before.

162. notafan

IT
    More like they ‘forgot’ to have children.

163. Infidel Tiger

The 80 years old Italians has heaps of kids, the next generation had none and instead embraced liberalism and self.

How awful.

164. mh

Liberty Quote material right there.

165. Thefrollickingmole

Golden wattle for me.
    That heretic cookbook looks ok though.

166. Caveman

I have a great book from my granny on 100 ways with spuds

Does it say how you can make them tatse like meat?

167. Steve trickler

Probably the best footage on the Net of the B2. Some of the still shots are astonishing.

168. mh

Ok, UK death lotto time.

55, 71, 104

I’m playing safe with 139.

169. Mother Lode

This video would be a useful accompaniment to Jordan Peterson.

It is a speech from an Navy Admiral drawing on his SEAL training, laying out how to take command of your life in the world.

The first lesson is…make your bed.

170. Cassie of Sydney

Here is my potato latke recipe…

4 large potatoes, peeled
    ½ medium onion
    2 eggs
    1 tsp salt
    A pinch of white pepper
    4 tbsp self-raising flour
    1 tsp of baking powder
    Rapeseed oil or other flavourless oil…

Grate the potatoes finely, either by hand or in a food processor, and do the same with the onion. I always grate by hand. Press down in a sieve and leave for 10 minutes to drain, then pat down with kitchen paper.

Tip the onion and potato into a bowl with all the other ingredients and mix it all up by hand.

Put a large frying pan on a high heat with about one inch of oil….I like a lot of oil. Once hot, make a tablespoon of the mixture into a ball then flatten it into the oil with a spatula.

Depending on the size of your frying pan you can usually cook them in batches of up to 5. Cook for five minutes on each side, or until crispy and golden brown. Place each cooked latke on kitchen paper to drain off the oil while you put your next batch into the pan.

Serve them hot with a large helping of salt beef (brisket)..or just on their own….they are divine

Once upon a time latkes were cooked in chicken fat….which you can only buy at a Kosher butcher

It is hard not to eat many…and I do eat a lot of them when I make them.

With thank to the late, great Evelyn Rose….the queen of British Jooooish cooking.

171. johanna

Heh, calli, the sky’s the limit for tarting up Tuna Casserole. But it is a fantastic staple for young, hungry people with not much money.

Another, even simpler, is what an old boyfriend’s mother taught me – Grandfather’s Dinner.

This is for when you are really broke.

Layer sausage mince (or other cheap mince) into a baking dish, about 2cm, pack it down, salt and pepper. Then add a layer of sliced tomatoes and onions. Keep doing that till you run out of ingredients. You can add thinly sliced potatoes to each layer if you have them around.

Bake in a medium oven for about 40 minutes.

The lady who taught me this dish was skint – she had four young sons and her husband had skipped. With a loaf of cheap bread, it kept them going for many a cold night.

It tastes good, is filling, and nutritious.

What the AFL are doing is running it in hope that the Feds pull the pin on them.
    Ker-ching!
    Fed compo.

173. Cassie of Sydney

“Megan
    #3364661, posted on March 19, 2020 at 8:34 pm

I’m coming to your place next time I’m in Sydney!”

Megan…you are always welcome…along with Lizzie.

174. Thefrollickingmole

I read that as cooking granny with potatoes.
    Mainlining too much bath salts will do that, especially mixed with gunners end times coronapron

175. Old School Conservative

Helen
    #3364675, posted on March 19, 2020 at 8:49 pm
    Presbyterian Women’s cookbook on internet archive

Some absolute pearlers from that 1921 cookbook.
    * Beat mixture steadily for ten minutes. They built ’em tough in those days.
    * Have six oysters in each glass Who do they think we are, millionaires?
    * Roll first in egg Kinky.
    * one-eighth teaspoon pepper Precision par excellence.
    * Get the wheat from the mill or farmer If only!

I’ve bookmarked the site; lots of useful meal ideas.

176. Cassie of Sydney

One of my favourite “mince” recipes is my mother’s meatloaf. Scrumptious.

When I think back to my childhood….we ate nutritious thrifty (or frugal) food…..lamb a plenty…as any family in Australian in the 1960’s and 1970’s, meatloaf, brisket, lambs fry, chopped chicken livers, shepherd’s pie, tuna patties and so on. I still remember my mother had one of those meat mincers that she screwed on to the table and I can clearly recall her grinding the mince…beef and lamb. Once a week we were allowed a glass of cordial.

Little Filipina friend says Manila is in lockdown, using TikTok for comms.
    Has a crush on Mayor Tico.

178. notafan

IT

That is not my observation.

Went to school, early work life with stacks of Italians whose parents were in that age demographic who all but one came from families of two children likewise various Italian in laws.

Very keen to tell you that their parents had six or eight though.

Running joke was ‘ two kids five houses’

JC said much the same the other day.

179. mh

Indonesia has had a sharp increase in COVID-19 deaths with 20 in the last 2 days, for a total of 25.

180. Snoopy

calli
    #3364512, posted on March 19, 2020 at 6:43 pm
    Hells bells!

Mostly tax deductible cruise?

181. 8th Dan

Quote of the day:

“People are dying who have never died before.”

Donald J Trump
    March 18, 2020

182. notafan

And my school was Catholic and most of us Aussies came from families of four, five six, seven etc

183. Infidel Tiger

25/250,000,000 = 0.0000001%

Holy hell! More Indonesians die each day from an orangutan beating them to death.

184. mh

It’s our northern neighbour though.

One to watch.

185. Megan

My late Sicilian MiL made the most divine potato polpette. Mashed potato, Parmesan cheese, flat leaf parsley and chopped garlic leaves, salt and black pepper. Form into patties, dip into egg wash and breadcrumbs, chill for an hour in the fridge and shallow fry in olive oil. I ate them as they came out of the fry pan. I have taught myself to make a reasonable imitation but they just are not quite as perfect as she made them. Maybe one day I’ll crack the combination.

“People are dying who have never died before.”
    Donald J Trump
    March 18, 2020

Only a dickless dickhead like you doesn’t get it.

187. Cassie of Sydney

“Megan
    #3364710, posted on March 19, 2020 at 9:22 pm
    My late Sicilian MiL made the most divine potato polpette. Mashed potato, Parmesan cheese, flat leaf parsley and chopped garlic leaves, salt and black pepper. “

Megan…I am going to make these on the weekend. Do you reckon floury potatos are the best?

The good side of the down turn

The plunge in government bond yields — Treasuries have fallen to record lows as investors seek a haven from a whipsawing stock market — led to a 26 percent jump in refinance applications last week alone. They were up a whopping 224 percent over the same week last year.

The Mortgage Bankers Association is forecasting $1.23 trillion of refinancing originations this year, a 37 percent increase over 2019. The 30-year fixed mortgage interest rate fell to 3.29 percent last week, the lowest level that government-run Freddie Mac has recorded in nearly 50 years of tracking rates.

“You could say this is a silver lining considering everything else going on,” MBA economist Joel Kan said.

The good news for homeowners comes as companies consider shutting factories thanks to disrupted supply chains, offices are closing down and people are told to stay home rather than congregate and risk spreading the disease. President Donald Trump is promising a “big” fiscal stimulus package but is encountering resistance to a temporary payroll tax cut from both Democrats and his own aides.

Lower mortgage rates could mitigate at least some of the damage for many families — and they could drop even further with continued uncertainty over the spread of the virus and oil prices plummeting.

This has one real big difference to the GFC. Oil prices were zooming upward then. Birdie was making predictions of 200 buck oil a barrel. Nominal interest rates were also relatively high coming into the GFC.
    Not this time. Not this time though.

The future of China is warehouses stuffed full of rotting and decaying goods no one will buy, accounts filled with money they can’t spend, travel instantly blocked at the first sign of pandemic because that’s the only responsible way for the world to handle the Communist Party.

The early days of the Wuhan outbreak provide a deadly and unforgettable lesson that the Communists cannot be trusted to do anything except protect their own political and financial interests. They love to turn the rhetoric of civilized nations against them, nattering on endlessly about global standards, international law, and “win-win cooperation,” but they believe in none of those things. The lives of their own citizens matter very little to the CCP, the lives of foreigners even less.

China kept international officials from visiting the hot zone, politically corrupted the World Health Organization (WHO) – which was advising against travel bans just as the Wuhan virus was exploding into a global pandemic, and wouldn’t even admit it was a “pandemic” until one week ago, when it became impossible to deny the truth – and is now expelling foreign journalists, cutting off the meager trickle of clean information to the outside world.

China is far too opaque, far too dismissive of basic human rights, to be welcomed into reputable international organizations as a full member. The CCP corrupts every organization it joins. It should be expelled from all of them, or relegated to observer status only. WHO could begin this process by correcting the unspeakable injustice of excluding Taiwan to protect China’s vanity. Taiwan should be a full member of WHO, and China should be an observer at best.

Trump could do it but no other leader has the cods.

190. Snoopy

JC

Good. the Bond market is normalizing due to massive pumping

What does this mean? Does it cost anyone any real money?

191. johanna

Helen, that link to the Presbyterian Women’s Cookbook didn’t work for me.

I am interested, because I avidly read old cookbooks on Gutenberg. Some are great, most are awful.

These are not (usually) cookbooks written by the great chefs of the time, or anything like. Mostly, they are written by journalists or self-appointed arbiters of domestic management. As Gutenberg is mostly in English, a lot of the recipes are English, but a few American ones are creeping in as the copyrights expire.

Frankly, a lot of the English food is ghastly, and the American food is a lot better – we are talking about the early 1900s here.

192. MatrixTransform

I’m playing safe with 139.

147 … what do I win?

She’s been wearing a facemask outdoors since the volcano eruption, tried to convince me to do the same re the beer virus.

194. Fisky

Andrew Lilico
    @andrew_lilico
    Given that by end-2020 there’ll be no immigration, most trade will be necessities, & all border crossings will involve extensive, slow disease checks, what positive difference is extending “transition” with the EU supposed to make to anything? Let’s focus on real issues.

Sounds fantastic. I’m really looking forward to this new world of localised production, no immigration and taking back power from globalist bureaucrats.

195. Infidel Tiger

Yes I am probably thinking of Aussie Ities. They kept the old ways long after the libertine nihilists in the old country had lost their way.

Probably a good thing the old Ities are dying like this. It’s a warning to the youth.

“Do you want to die alone while a virus filled foreigner pushes you into a death pit? If not, change your ways.”

196. Fisky:

We are learning which jobs are essential in society, and which should be abolished forever!

The telephone sanitisers have just been removed from the ‘B’ Ark list and have been put on the ‘Critically Endangered Profession’ List.

197. Mitch M.

True, now tell the government and opposition that because neither has got the fucking obvious through their collectively thick skulls.

198. Exit Stage Right

Been out for a couple of hours.
    Whats the score with the Satan Bug?

199. mh

147 … what do I win?

Just bragging rights at this stage.

139 mh
    147 MT

200. EvilElvis

Exposes the league and commentary to how important the atmosphere of the punters is though. Shite to watch. Like a sitcom with no canned laughter.

201. Mitch M.

Winston Smith
    #3364724, posted on March 19, 2020 at 9:33 pm
    Fisky:

We are learning which jobs are essential in society,

Plumbers.

202. Infidel Tiger

My son asked me if this was a scratch match.

203. MatrixTransform

Aldi minestrone from the tin
    bread from the freezer toasted too much
    rub the bread with garlic and as always, put on waaay too much butter
    Grate parmesan into the soup and garnish with ground black pepper

enjoy

204. BrettW

My understanding is that the lockdown was brought in without warning with many being unable to get home.

In normal circumstances the Phillipines would be ideally placed to pick up some manufacturing now that brands might be seeking other places rather than rely on China. Unfortunately for the country they
    have a volatile leader in Duterte who is far more inclined to favour China than US or the west. In fact he has been pretty good at antagonising USA.

egg_
    #3364699, posted on March 19, 2020 at 9:13 pm
    Little Filipina friend says Manila is in lockdown, using TikTok for comms.
    Has a crush on Mayor Tico.

Aldi minestrone from the tin

I got some of those, surprisingly good actually but for some reason you always need to add salt.

Wouldn’t want to live on it, but it does fill the gap. 7/10

206. Siltstone

MH
    164 (sadly)
    An elderly friend in a Continental country with no ventilators hopes to get back to London before the boarder shuts.

What does this mean? Does it cost anyone any real money?

I know you demur to any of this but see if can keep and open mind for once. The financial markets are really the only markets humans have that provide almost immediate signals to what lays in wait for us in the future.. economically speaking derived from economic shocks, policy change etc

There was a very serious inversion of yields curves around the world when it really mattered and even though one shouldn’t argue just from a price change, this scenario combined with the ramifications of the virus created the perception of an economic slowdown. The steepness of the inversion was seen to mean a very serious slowdown was headed our way. Since about Friday the US 10 year bond was back up from about .5% to 1.18%.

Credit market rule all other markets. Credit markets are king.

Have you forgotten so soon why everyone gave up producing anything in Australia.

Newer, bigger Coles planned here for June – plus Aldi.
    More for the strippers to strip?

210. 2dogs

The globalist bureaucrats are worried.

211. candy

Sounds fantastic. I’m really looking forward to this new world of localised production.

I don’t think we can ever go back in time, no matter how much we wish. There’s only one direction in life and that’s onward although we could be more discriminatory about what we produce and export.

In the end we will go back to trade with China, perhaps in a few short months and with a massive deficit after the stimulus. Business needs to trade, and trade is China.

212. EvilElvis

171 thanks, mh. Playing the sequence…

they have a volatile leader in Duterte who is far more inclined to favour China than US or the west

The Chicoms are only 100 km from Manila, in the Spratleys.

214. Thefrollickingmole

Siltstone.
    Remind him that there are ambassador types to be pestered if there are any troubles. Daily Mail “ grandpa out of breath” stories sell well.

215. johanna

Don’t you love how the would-be Lords of the Universe are chatting about stuff they will never influence while we stupes are exchanging recipes that might actually be useful?

It reminds me of the old Grik and Italian blokes in Lygon Street in the 70s sitting outside the card clubs arguing about football and politics while their wives cooked and cleaned and kept the family going.

Oh, well, let them dream on.

I am the Master of the Universe – Hawkwind.

216. mh

UK death toll lotto

139 mh
    147 MT
    164 Siltstone

Hubris is killing this site.

Go!

Manufacturing businesses closed because it was fucking uneconomic to produce here.

218. Crossie

Siltstone
    #3364740, posted on March 19, 2020 at 9:45 pm
    MH
    164 (sadly)

I always found Europe odd about health matters. We travelled to Sweden in 1991 and as soon as we arrived my husband developed a cold. Chemists had nothing like Codral to make it easier and when we went to a doctor she was horrified that we wanted something of the sort to be prescribed. The poor love had to tough it out until we got to Germany and he could buy a bottle of schnapps at a roadhouse.

55, 71, 104

I’m playing safe with 139.

138 pls

220. Overburdened

Another opportunity to view the website.

This is both a bad thing for some and an opportunity for me.

Scanning the thread, what I would say to the smart arses that put shit on my early thoughts that the current situation could be a thing is go fuck yourselves.

221. Dave in Marybrook

Cassie- and Megan-
    Floury spuds, waxy spuds- doesn’t really matter in the mix-
    but aged potatoes is what you’re after. Here in largely maritime temperate Oz we’re used to twelve month fresh supply, but the Eyeties up the mountain would have spuds drying out in the magazini for nine months or more- fries and roasts so easy.

222. mh

UK death lotto

139 mh
    147 MT
    164 Siltstone
    171 EvilElvis
    138 Egg (the strategist)

223. Fellas, I know I’m being hypothetical.. But lets be. Let us see one of you try to set up an oil refinery in the country.

Go!

Quite right. The green tape would finish you off before you even got going as that is what it is designed to do.

Italy runs a national healthcare service, which is 3/4 paid for out of the tax purse. It’s the sort of health system that the WHO strongly approves of. You know that “laissez-faire” World Health Organization, part of that “laissez-faire” organization called the United Nations.

It kind of comforting to know that the only arguments that ever come up against libertarianism require deep dishonesty … on the other hand it’s a bit of a worry that so many people resort into fraud when pushed.

225. Infidel Tiger

Ilhan Omar
    @IlhanMN

Politics aside, this is incredible and the right response in this critical time. 👏🏽

Cats and dogs living together!

UK death lotto

Another health system paid out of the tax purse … some to think about when Australia ends up in a similar situation.

227. Infidel Tiger

Luckily for you Tel, China is doing so well.

That’s the system you have been schilling for.

228. johanna

Tel
    #3364739, posted on March 19, 2020 at 9:43 pm

Aldi minestrone from the tin

Tel, the food n*zis have bluffed manufacturers into reducing salt in everything, including tinned soup, baked beans, Vegemite and peanut butter.

You then have to add it in again once you get it home.

Fortunately, salt is cheap. Oh, hush my mouth, it will give them ideas! 🙁

That is a fact and a true statement.
    Doesn’t tell us anything.
    Why can other countries, yes even those with comparable or better wages and standard of living can do but we can’t?

230. MatrixTransform

but for some reason you always need to add salt.

lmao … exactly what I said when I served it.

to the missus, “there were clearly no w.o.g.s involved in the manufacture of this. No Salt!”

231. mh

Tel, I believe that the UK has a national lotto which funds a lot of sporting infrastructure amongst other things.

Is it enough to be worth diverting the funds for health purposes?

Go!

Set one up? Are you kidding me? It’s all still sitting there at Kurnell and Clyde there’s nothing that needs setting up. Lack of capital equipment was never what clobbered Australian industry.

233. Farmer Gez

Richo interviewing Jack Riewoldt after the game.
    Microphone stand set up with Jack on the field and just inside the boundary. Richo is standing more than three metres back, nearly on the fence.
    What a farce. Richo is a big girl.

The media’s hostility to Trump is so extreme that there is no lie they won’t tell to damage him

That reminds me. I saw a headline for a Real Clear Politics yesterday saying the stock market is lower than when trump was inaugurated president.

US election day was November 8th. The Dow close Nov 7th was 18,259. On inauguration day the market had climbed to January 20 the market closed 19,927. That’s 9% higher than election day. These arseholes cheat and lie about everything.

1 13 14 15 16 17 21