Conroy v Google

Do you trust Conroy more than Google?

“The Communications Minister, Stephen Conroy, has accused Google of launching “the single greatest breach in the history of privacy”.”

No, me neither.

Conroy is turning out to be one of those quite rare ministers  about who it can truly be said that everything they touch turns to mud.

This entry was posted in Technology & Telco and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

20 Responses to Conroy v Google

1. THR says:

Conroy is a swine, but in all fairness, he isn’t the first to raise concerns about Google’s use of information, and possible invasions of privacy. Google was quite prepared to have the Chinese goveernment as a bedfellow for some time, until they fell out relatively recently. This could be a rare case of Conroy being correct, broadly speaking.

2. Ken Nielsen says:

THR – you have not answered my question.
    Do you trust Conroy more than Google?

3. THR says:

Can we not distrust both, albeit, for different reasons? I mean, your question is a little like asking whether one would prefer to contract measles or the mumps.

4. JC says:

Honest question, what is there not to trust about Google?

I saw Controy recently showing slides of Google’s picture map explaining this was an enormous breach of privacy and sounding horrified in his uique contrived manner.

All Controy is doing is manufacturing some outrage against Google in the hope the heat the moron has been getting recently about his views and actions will wear off and this latest spin will show him up in a better light. He’s just spinning like his turd of a boss.

I personally don’t give a shit that there is a pic of my house on the web carried by google. Google map is actually helpful at times anyway.

And they’re not breaching any privacy at all. They took pics on a public road, and so far, Controy, you dickhead, people are still allowed to do that.

He’s truly a fucking menace to society, he is.

5. THR says:

I don’t think the google street maps pictures were a big deal. It’s not like a person can’t go down any of these streets themselves.

Here’s a Wiki article outlining some of the concerns in relation to Google:

Not all of them are terribly valid, but in the longer-trm, there’s massive potential for abusing users’ information. In the shorter-term, Conroy’s idiotic filter is the more immediate threat, but I expect that this will be seen off after the election.

6. Ken Nielsen says:

Still a fair question THR. That you have not answered.
    Look at Facebook – they have lost many users’ trust and they are suffering. It might even kill them.
    Google is unlikely to commit a major breach of trust because their business depends on us trusting them. We can destroy Google much more easily than Conroy.
    Similarly (and as a result of personal experience) I trust American Express – which has never misused my information – more than Medicare – which has.

7. JC says:

I don’ t really understand why people seem to be so concerned that someone like Google or even Amex has private information about us.

We lead pretty dull lives for the most part. What information can they find out about me say that is some huge breach of privacy?

I really don’t give a toss. If Amex wants to sell information about me to some advertiser in the hope they can sell something, well I see that as better for me as I have more choice.

This privacy stuff is really manufacturer outrage by people that have nothing much to worry about it seems to me.

8. THR says:

Still a fair question THR. That you have not answered.

‘Fair’ or not, it’s not the sort of question likely to elicit any useful information or debate.

Maybe. Conroy can easily be ousted next Senate election. I suspect more than a few ALP voters will preference him behind other candidates. Most Greens oppose the filter, and it’s possible that a few Coalition voters do too.
    Google can easily be bypassed, but if you want a reliable search engine, you are reduced to a relatively small number of useful ones. If they all begin to collude in the harvesting of personal data, etc, users would basically be stuck. It may seem unlikely, but look at Australian telecos and internet providers – they’re all basically overpriced and useless.

9. Greego says:

You would have to be mentally deranged to trust anything Conroy says. The man’s a nutjob.

Is his senate seat up for grabs in this year’s election? Surely he’s a goner if that’s the case.

10. THR says:

I believe Conroy’s Senate term is running out, and that his spot will be up for grabs next election.

11. Ken Nielsen says:

Conroy’s re-election depends solely on where the party puts him on the card. I have never heard of a minister placed in a difficult to win spot.

12. C.L. says:

Speaking of abuses of privacy, this is likely to scandalise and outrage lefties everywhere…

Oh, wait

13. Tim Quilty says:

Remember Google wouldn’t show ClimateGate in it’s list of suggestions as you typed the name in, back when the CRU story was breaking. While other search engines had this as the number one worldwide search. You could still search for it on Google, but they weren’t going to suggest it to you…

But more generally, the public acting together can break any big internet company. Cross fingers and tap on wood, we may get a new open source facebook style community out of this current controversy.

14. Entropy says:

It’s interesting that google is one of the world’s most trusted companies. I think this is because they give away a lot of interesting stuff. Nobody stops to consider that google is busy gathering all this personal information about you to benefit their revenue stream, advertising. That thought makes me pause.

15. jtfsoon says:

As JC says who really gives a shit? I have nothing to hide. Harvesting searches, 24/7 continously updated streaming Google StreetView, whatever, bring it on. privacy is overrated.

As someone with no spatial ability who navigates through landmarks Google StreetView has been a positive boon.

16. Peter Patton says:

A boon for Soon! 🙂

17. Peter Patton says:

THR

Wasn’t Google’s sleepover with the Chinese government more an agreement to offer the Chinese people only portions of its total product (yes, which amounted to filtering/censoring certain search terms)?

In the case of a business entity trying to navigate a new – frickin ginormous – market, I don’t see Google’s actions as particularly deplorable. It would be different if Google had agreed to insert fake search results, rather than simply censor.

18. Conroy is doing this to make TEH NET look bad. He’s trying to justify the filter.

He’s useless and doesn’t belong in the ALP. He ought to lose his seat soon and when the next ALP Government is elected, hopefully they will have another Senator who actually gives a crap about the workers, or the social democrat vision of civil liberties.

19. Rob W says:

“Conroy is turning out to be one of those quite rare ministers about who it can truly be said that everything they touch turns to mud.”

Nothing rare about that in this government!

20. Entropy says:

Yes, google was ok with censorship when it got into china, and only exited when Chinese hackers tried to get at their search algorithms. Painted it as a censorship issue. It was at this point I realised they were no different to any other corporation, and I should be cautious as to the extent I let it know where I go on the net. Use a variety of search engines, etc.

That said, I think conroy would have to be the only telecommunications minister to make Alston look good.