“Do good by stealth, and blush to find it fame.”

Alexander Pope said that. Dick Smith disagrees.

Take away their passports,” he half jokes, “if I was dictator, I’d say, if you’re going to be wealthy, there’s an absolute obligation that you’re a philanthropist, you don’t do it secretly and if you don’t give a decent amount away, we don’t want you in this country or we’ll take your passport away so you can’t travel…

The things some people will say to get their name in the paper.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to “Do good by stealth, and blush to find it fame.”

1. Boy on a bike says:

What will dick say next? If we don’t agree with the way you are giving your money away (eg Koch brothers), the government should take it away and give it to causes deemed worthy?

2. jtfsoon says:

Dick has increasingly totalitarian tendencies.

BTW even if I were a multimillionaire, I’d balk at giving away one fifths of my income. sure, I’d be happy to give away whatever I still had after I was dead, but as long as I have it, I could use it to make more.

3. Keith says:

Take away their passports

Worked well with Paul Hogan.
    How would levels of “giving” compare if taxation these people paid was also taken into account ?

Smith finds time in his busy schedule of media stunts to quote from a two year old report. Got his finger on the pulse has old Dicky.

4. JC says:

Hey Dick, you arsehole… Some people have been giving away 5% of their annual income without the specter of lights.

Here’s an idea, why don’t you get the fuck out of the country and not come back, you pretentious git.

5. Ken Nielsen says:

I’ve got a problem withy this “giving something back” idea. Charity must be voluntary, otherwise it is a tax – whether induced by law of moral blackmail, it’s still a tax.
    JC – Smith just likes publicity – he always has, going right back to his first shop. It’s a pretty harmless addiction. And it gives us a laugh from time to time.

6. C.L. says:

What a fuckwit.

Beautiful headline riposte, Ken.

7. Ev630 says:

The only smart thing Dick Smith ever id was putting his face on a box of cereal, thereby guaranteeing that whoever bought it derived the maximum benefit from regular, spontaneous bowel movement.

8. daddy dave says:

Charity must be voluntary, otherwise it is a tax

word.

9. Steve of Ferny Hills says:

If I never ever see or hear Dick Smith again, it’ll be too soon.

10. Pedro the Ignorant says:

Mahommed Daewoo aka Hicks is a charity?

Who knew?

Dick is well named.

11. Moxie says:

“Do good by stealth, and blush to find it fame.”

Interesting quote. Reminds me of the way the ancient mariner was rewarded when he blessed those thousand slimy slimy things “unawares.”

Smith is a patriot. He’s not getting the help he needs when it comes to practical policy options. He’s not totalitarian at all.