The Ides of March

Now I know I am a bit of sad sack – yes, I need to get out more – but the other day, it was very very hot so we took ourselves off to the movies to see The Ides of March which had been recommended to us.  The choc-top was pretty good too, but very over-priced!

You must go and see it.  It was great – all that political intrigue and goodies turning out to be baddies.  All that political guff revealed as … guff.  It is quite topical too, with the nomination battle now on in the US.

Of course, George Clooney is pretty easy on the eye but I thought the rest of the cast were excellent, including Ryan Gosling, Paul Giamatti and Philip Seymour Hoffman.

I think it is about to go off, so do not delay.  There were only four people in the theatre when we went.

I had also loved two other movies by this director, Sideways and About Schmidt, so I guess it was no surprise that I enjoyed Ides too.

Nothing on the teev, apart from Arrested Development.  Any suggestions?  When is Breaking Bad coming back on?  How can I know how Walt and Jesse are getting along?

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

44 Responses to The Ides of March

1. Bring Back Tillman says:

When is Breaking Bad coming back on? How can I know how Walt and Jesse are getting along?

It’s called BitTorrent, Judith.

2. rodney says:

I can recommend (on video) “Absolute Power” and “A Most Peculiar Prectice”.

3. Paul says:

If you’d like to know when your favourite TV Show is scheduled to air, bookmark:

At this stage Breaking Bad’s schedule for 2012 hasn’t been released. The next season will be it’s last, and will stretch for 16 episodes, instead of the usual 12.

4. Biota says:

The doco Twins on our ABC (not a bad channel if they keep out of politics). Catch up on iview although maybe not the first episode.

5. Gerard says:

I would have recommended ‘The Trip’, but it’s just about to finish (ABC). It’s a paper-thin premise (Brit comics Steve Coogan and Rob Brydon playing themselves on a restaurant tour of the North of England) that somehow delivers hypnotically watchable tv. Mostly very funny (especially if you like impersonations), but also delving into a rather melancholy view of modern life. Get it on disc.

6. ar says:

The choc-top was pretty good too, but very over-priced!

Apparently not, if you still bought one.

7. ar says:

How can I know how Walt and Jesse are getting along?

You don’t have Foxtel?

BB is close to the shark jump. It lost me a bit when Gus, the super-criminal who protects his anonymity with murderous zeal, has a meeting with low-level street pushers. Where’s the consistency I asks ya?

8. Viva says:

“Apparently not, if you still bought one.”

No trip to the cinema is complete without a choc top.

9. LB says:

Actually, Ides was directed by George Clooney 😉 Those others were directed by Alexander Payne who has just directed the Descendants starring George.

10. John H. says:

It’s called BitTorrent, Judith.

Yeah, aint it grand … . Love that shit.

Arr. Dev. is up for a new season and movie. Great stuff. B. Bad has a Conrad feel about it (Heart of Darkness). I enjoyed the earlier seasons. If you’re looking for something different and can tolerate sub titles, try some of the new Chinese Movies. Night of the Assassins – just brilliant. China is now spitting out movies I find far more enjoyable than from Europe or USA. Visually rich and stunning, real story lines, enough super naturalism so you even with the martial arts and choreography you know you shouldn’t take the hero too seriously because they are typically flawed heroes(exactly opposed to the Norris\Seagall motif of great flawless heroes). Etc etc. Seriously, if you looking for something new on the screen, fuck the USA, go to China.

11. AJ says:

Breaking Bad probably won’t be back in 2012, and if it is, it’ll probably only be the first half of the season. AMC has cash problems and delaying production of ordered shows saves money.

12. papachango says:

The margins they make on choc tops and popcorn is ridiculous. I’d rather smuggle in my own.

As for TV, it’s a sad indictment of the geenral quality, but about the best thing recently was The Slap. TV’s been off for months in favour of BitTorrent.

13. papachango says:

Or France. they’ve been making brilliant films for years, so much so that most of them have their plot ripped off by Hollywood. Just watched ‘The best job in the world’ starring Gerard Depardieu. he might be a fat oaf who pisses in planes, but he’s also a brilliant actor.

14. The Trip has been a pleasant surprise on the ABC over the summer.

Best Stephen Hawkins impression ever.

15. boy on a bike says:

What is this thing you call “TV”?

16. Ian says:

Judith – Outnumbered – 8pm Wed on ABC1, very funny and well worth a look.

17. lotocoti says:

It’s been The Wire repeats here.
    The unsympathetic portrayal of Democrat politics is especially enjoyable.

18. William says:

Rewatching old episodes of Yes, Minister and Frontline does the job for me when there’s nothing on the box.

Or you can watch Milton Friedmans classic “Free to Choose” series online here . I swear the link is genuine, not spam.

19. papachango says:

Is there a version of the Wire that comes with subtitles?

I watched 20 minutes of the first episode and couldn’t understand a single word they were saying.

20. Gab says:

Subtitles and an urban dictionary.

21. My 17 yo eldest is a choctopper.

22. Infidel Tiger says:

Is there a version of the Wire that comes with subtitles?

Takes a while to get used to, but by the end of series one you’ll be fluent in Ebonics. Then in series 2 they introduce some Polaks… easily the best show on TV in the last decade. The writers are hard core leftists but they wrote a script based on reality not their own prejudices.

23. papachango says:

…so I kept hearing IT, also that it was Obama’s favorite show, which put me off a tad.

I know French and a bit of Spanish, but I’ve no desire be fluent in ebonics. it’s a bit like that wanky thearical production a while ago that made their audience learn an Aboriginal language before they could watch it.

24. Infidel Tiger says:

Obama’s favourite charatcer was the gay hitman. He’s probably everyone’s favourite character, but still…

25. James P says:

“Of course, George Clooney is pretty easy on the eye … ”

I just don’t get it with women and George Clooney. My wife is the same as Judith. I try and work it out and look at the bloke critically to try and get some signs [or maybe even some tips], but for the life of me I just can’t figure it out.

What on earth is it I wonder?

26. Marcus says:

The complete season 4 of BB has already been aired and some time ago too, somewhere. Disapointingly, it has not been shown in Australia. To my knowledge, it is not available on DVD in Australia. This is where a teenager comes in handy. It’s great. But you have to be a criminal to appreciate it.

Can’t believe you enjoyed “About Schmidt”. I hope it wasn’t the bathtub scene 🙂

27. Judith – please contact me re LDP National Conference.

28. Les Majesty says:

Bullshit IT.

Snoop FTW

29. hzhousewife says:

Hmmm Judith, perhaps SBS One “The Chinese Are Coming” would be a relaxing watch …….

30. Les Majesty says:

Omar testifies against Bird! No you are lying! Where’s the evidence!

31. Infidel Tiger says:

Bullshit IT.

Snoop FTW

No way. Bunk Moreland.

32. AJ says:

The best character is clearly Prop Joe.

33. 1080 says:

Didn’t realise it was by the same director, but agree with Judith on “About Schmidt”. A gem of a movie, Jack Nicholson was superb.

34. Infidel Tiger says:

Clay Davis is court:

Outstanding.

35. JamesK says:

I saw the Ides of March but came away disappointed.

The movie had no meaningful insight or message other than the tired old cliched.

The production, however was first class and the acting talent portrayals, in particular Giamatti and Seymour-Hoffman are disappointing only beccause we don’t see enuff of them as those two characters are really incidental to the (weak) storyline.

Despite on the surface being non-political, candidate-Clooney’s stump speech was classic Dem rhetoric and is well done. Clooney is a Catholic who is now an atheist…. in rea life like Obummer that’s unsaid – indeed denied – but we all know.

Seymour-Hoffman as candidate-Clooney’s campaign manager says that the reason Dems lose to Republicans is because they are not ruthless and professional like the ‘elephants’ who they fail do get down and dirtry with.

That line was the only one which made me choke

That’s in an ‘honest talk’ with his junior learning the trade so it’s supposed to be some unarguable truth.

Reality is of course the opposite as the GOP – like the Coalition here – are undedrfunded amateurs in contrast to their lefty opponents who have the added benefit of the MSM running both offense and defence for them.

36. Chumpai says:

“Fringe” and “The Big Bang Theory”. If you’re into addictive marathons then “The West Wing” and the re-imagined “Battlestar Galactica” are for you.

37. Judith Sloan says:

Yes, just couldn’t get into the Wire but have the boxed DVD set sitting there. My brother in law just loved it. Maybe if I get the flu, I can sit there for hours and nut it out. Yes, subtitles are the go evidently.

Yes, James K that little speech about the Republicans being ruthless professionals did stick in my craw and yes, a little cliched. But, what the heck, it was a decent two hours or so compared with some of the other tripe around. I liked it much more than the Iron Lady, for instance.

38. Token says:

OMG, why is that new in any way. That cliche used over and over again in the West Wing. The very flawed vice president characters of Bingo Bob and John Hoynes are the ruthless and professional Democrat.

39. jtfsoon says:

Brilliant clips, Tillman. I forgot that The Wire has its own Bird

40. Judith Sloan says:

Actually, Chumpai, I could get hooked to the Big Bang Theory. Why, oh, why?