One for Julia

Julia Gillard has gone up in my estimation for snubbing John Coates and the Olympic Games. She should now up the ante by announcing in the Budget the removal of all Government funding for the Australian Olympic Committee. It is time Australia distanced itself from the corrupt Olympic movement.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

25 Responses to One for Julia

1. What do you mean? I love working hard so the government can take my money and give it to someone to go and ride a horse, or run, jump or swim in some foreign locale. Nothing makes me prouder than knowing I am subsidising some arts luvvie or winter olympian.

2. daddy dave says:

I agree. Elite sports are a huge waste of government money.

I’m all for swimming lessons for kids, weekend team sports, and generally an active culture.

Not so much in favour of the government paying millions of dollars to hothouse a few individuals so they can go overseas and win medals.

3. Rabz says:

We should introduce a HECS type system for these individuals.

That they receive this taxpayer funded largesse without any obligation to give some back is a disgrace.

And why just the corrupt olympic movement, BTW? We should be out of the frigging Yoo En, now there’s an inexcusable hotbed of corruption and utter idiocy.

4. Token says:

When you consider the huge amount of time and money parents across Australia spend assisting their children with the aspiration to have them succeed, it is clear the community is contributing a phenominal amount to the Olympic movement.

I have no exposure to this area, but wouldn’t it make most sense to focus on getting the community and those who “made it” provide scholarships, etc rather than laying out more government funds?

5. Johno says:

Well done Julia for snubbing the Olympic mafia and it’s pampered athletes. Olympians have sponged of the taxpayers for to long. It’s time some one started saying No to their rapacious demands.

6. Gab says:

She won’t. I don’t believe Gillard “snubbed” the AOC for the reason we’d like to think she did.

7. H B Bear says:

I’m not sure that Gillard snubbed the AOC at all – and it is only Coates’ over-blown sense of self-importance that made the issue public anyway.

Perhaps Swimming Australia might like to ask for $150,000 back from an old orange guy with big feet suffering relevance deprivation syndrome who has spent the last 3 years in Switzerland?

Or a rich old supermarket landlord for the lazy $45m spent trying to influence the world’s most corrupt sporting body vote to host a sport that can’t even get 15,000 people to a domestic game.

8. Simon says:

Like it or not Australians still identify culturally with sportspeople at every level, it’s the reason that theatre and the arts is full of losers and no-hopers. Subsidising and supporting the national psyche is one of the core roles of government, I don’t like the Olympics, I don’t like AFL, professional soccer sucks and rugby is shadow of it’s former self but without sport Australian national unity is almost nonexistent (be honest, their isn’t that many ANZACS and they aren’t that pretty). Sports and it’s female offshoots (aerobics, gymnastics, pilates etc.) makes people fitter and feel good about themselves so having role models and international hopefuls paid for by the government isn’t that bad a thing.

9. Jumpnmcar says:

DD

And that’s not all;

The Vancouver Winter Olympics had 100,000 condoms handed out in the Olympic village. That is roughly 14.6 condoms for each of the 6,850 athletes and officials.

The answer is ” stamp out sexism in sport”, only allow the best to compete regardless of gender.
    I’m sick of seeing people collect gold medals that( if they had a doodle) are inferior athletes .FFs most doodle-less world records don’t make doodle-endowed Olympic qualifying!!!
    (And may reduce the condom usage by 95%)

10. Mr Snuffalupagus says:

…announcing in the Budget the removal of all Government funding for the Australian Olympic Committee.

A great suggestion! I can’t, for the life of me, see where the value for money exists in pouring massive amounts of Australian government money into the Olympics. The same amount of money spent on community sport at a local level would make such a difference to so many people.

Our local PCYC starves on fundraisers and donations, while supporting a wide range of sports for both kids and adults. They’ve been told recently by the Council that there is not enough money to help them out with needed expansions. Honestly, if my tax dollars are going to be spent on sport, I’d rather it was done here, for the benefit of many.

And don’t even get me started on the millions wasted on “raising awareness” about childhood obesity. 🙂

11. Jumpnmcar says:

Mr Snuff
    The Olympic dosh buys the carrot of inspiration and aspiration dangled in front of our youth. Few that get there, thousands don’t. But the ones that don’t learnt many valuable things participating.
    Hard to put a $ value on that.
    But you have to have a top echelon in any endeavour, giving gold to people that aren’t the “best” is a waste.

12. John A says:

It is time Australia distanced itself from the corrupt Olympic movement.

Good first step.

Next we should bail out of the UN, and recapture some of our lost sovereignty.

We could stay in those working bodies whhich pre-dated the UN – UPU, WMO, there may be some others, but definitely get out of the UN itself and crazy things like UNESCO.

13. hzhousewife says:

Perhaps the thrills of an AIS training/education should come with a HECS-style debt, such that when the lucrative contracts come rolling in at over $36000 a year (or whatever the base rate is), some of the dollars get paid back.
    Switzerland is a very low country in my estimation, not that the Swiss seem to care.

14. hzhousewife says:

OOps Rabz, I now see you have said the same

Sport is now an Industry, it kicks in quite early too. One of my staff has a soccer obsessed youngster, she is already at 13 being groomed with state training camps etc, playing games in a wide geographic area. ALL at parents expense – must have team uniforms, must attend camps, take time off school and out of holidays….. it’s all too too Soviet Union for me. But for him and his family this is a thrill, a great opportunity, and the kid LOVES it. He’s got a second job to cope (two younger siblings as well !).

15. wreckage says:

I’m pretty sure if you graphed the professionalisation of sport, and the reduction in overall community hours of sport, and the fattening of Australia, you’d see an unflattering correlation.

I’m not saying it’s causal, but I strongly believe (and I have seen examples) the idea that every sports-person must be an Olympian or a failure is erosive to kid’s enjoyment of sport, and to the competitiveness of sport at a local level.

16. Mr Snuffalupagus says:

@ jumpnmcar:

> Hard to put a $ value on that.

That’s true, and no doubt that’s a point that the government takes into account when putting money into the Olympics. But are our tax dollars really necessary for this? There are millions who benefit from community sport; there are probably only thousands who aspire to Olympic fame. I truly think that the money would reach more people if spent wisely in communities. Just IMO. 🙂

17. daddy dave says:

There is no net value in Olympic gold medals. None.

Maybe you can’t “put a dollar value on that”, as some have said, but it nonetheless has a dollar value.

In fact it has a very expensive dollar value, which is a line item in the national budget, every single year. That’s your and my tax dollars paying for those athletes to fly to London with their coaches and masseurs and personal trainers, and for them to then get lucrative sponsorship deals.

18. FDB says:

Paying to fly them to wherever the Olympics are every 4 years, and have matching Australian uniforms, should be the end of it.

19. daddy dave says:

That’s fair, FDB. I could live with that.

20. Mk50 of Brisbane says:

The Olympics is basically a shagfest for fit people.

Everyone knows who’s in the 5% who are going to take the medals. The other athletes are fill. They get their olympic jollies shagging each other and the horde of volunteers while the real spongers (the national team administrators, bureaucrats and swarming hangers-on) get a taxpayer funded holiday, shopping, and shag the uglier olympic volunteers who can’t pull an athlete.

We cough up the dough for this. The medals are basically a ‘look, shiny!!’ bauble to distract the taxpayers while their wallets are pack-raped by two sets of thieves.

At least the ‘pussy’n’prong’ squad are unpaid volunteers, and they get screwed willingly.

21. FDB says:

There can’t be much that you and Fran Barlow agree completely on, but make that paragraph about six times longer and it could be her talking.

22. Matt says:

If Julia proposed completely de-funding the AOC and the rest of the high performance sports programs I would seriously have to consider voting for her.

The only way Abbott could top that and retain my vote would be to break up and sell off the ABC. I live in hope …

Oh, and why the hell are governments giving any funding whatsoever to professional sporting teams?

23. Mk50 of Brisbane says:

Oh noes. Now I am insulted sir, pistols at dawn!

Hang on a bit…. so Fran’s a closet neocon!!?!

😆

24. Jumpnmcar says:

And then a dickhead like me brings up Steve Bradbury.

25. Mr Snuffalupagus says:

Daddy Dave: In fact it has a very expensive dollar value, which is a line item in the national budget, every single year.

Mk50: Defund the lot. Close the AIS. Let sponsors, TV stations and sports-mad nuts pay for all of it.

Yeah, I agree with all of the above. I somehow think that we’re in a minority though when it comes to the general public. Which is weird given how much cost of living has gone up in recent years. I would have thought that savings in Olympic sport would be an obvious budgetary cull.

Jumpnmcar: And then a dickhead like me brings up Steve Bradbury.

Ha ha ha ha… I LOL’ed at that. 🙂