“You’re too stupid to tell me what to think”

Maclean’s is The Bulletin of Canada and it was in an article in Maclean’s that Mark Steyn bought all his troubles with the Canadian Human Rights Commission. With the repeal of Section 13 that made “hate crimes” illegal, Mark has written an article for Maclean’s which they have titled, “I hate to say I told you so. Actually, I don’t. I love it”. As he points out, “Section 13 prosecutions had a 30-year 100 per cent conviction rate even the soviets might envy” or at least it did until Mark Steyn and Ezra Levant came along. Having prosecuted them both, the actual section of the Act has disappeared as a direct (although hardly immediate) result.

The stupidity of Section 13 is highlighted:

The senior counsel of the Canadian ‘Human rights’ Commission declared that his organisation was committed to the abolition of hatred – not hate crimes, not even ‘hate speech,’ but hate – a human emotion, you know, like the human emotions the control-freak enforcers attempt to abolish in The Invasion of the Body Snatchers and The Stepford Wives. Any society of free peoples will include its share of hate; it could not be human without it. And as bad as racists, and homophobes and Islamophobes and whateverphobes may be, empowering an ever more coercive enforcement regime to micro-regulate us into glassy-eyed compliance is a thousand times worse.

But the best line in the article is from Kathy Shaidle in referring to the members of the CHRC, to wit, “you’re too stupid to tell me what to think”. And to prove the point about how dangerous these people are and how badly they miss the point, the Opposition spokesman on these issues said that it was terrible that the power of the CHRC to educate has now been taken away:

We do have a serious problem. If you take away the power to take [websites] down, it’s not clear they have any mandate to even talk to people about it and educate them about it.

A Robespierre mentality to perfection.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

20 Responses to “You’re too stupid to tell me what to think”

1. Fisky says:

It’s a good development, because the purpose of these laws was always to censor non-Leftists. But with the boot on the other foot now, it is time to ruthlessly shut down the Left using whatever means necessary. Sackings, bankruptcy, dissolution, fines; all of these methods should be put to use in the cause of censoring Left-wing expression.

2. perturbed says:

No. You need to let them go on yammering and showing the world what fucking idiots they are. What we DO need to do is to ensure that talking is all they do – that their hypocrisy is forever exposed to the cold light of day, the damage they have done in the past is never, ever forgotten, and the levers of power never stained with their grubby fingers again.

3. Robin says:

What do you mean? I know for a fact that the schools are now to have a Positive School Climate and that information is being collected on whether a student’s beliefs and behaviors are consistent with what the bureaucrats believe is Positive.

And malleable. And consistent with a mandate to cooperate or be penalized.

I have been writing on all the social and emotional learning mandates that are replacing academics. You see all students have emotions even if only some are good at thinking. You thus get achievement for all and an adult that will be easy to manipulate with a single policy. Coming out of both UNESCO and the OECD globally.

Every adult who hears of the SEL emphasis immediately sees it as a tool not to make children behave better. No. They remember being that bright student or somewhat contrary individualist and see this as a tool for adults to bully kids.

4. Fisky says:

All of the people behind the National Curriculum should have their assets seized and redistributed to the workers. Ideally to Gina, actually, so that she can mop up the last remaining Fairfax shares for 10c a piece.

5. johno says:

it is time to ruthlessly shut down the Left using whatever means necessary

The Right should never sink to their level. The Right should be more aggressive in take the Left on (that means you Ted), but not by selling its soul to censoring all Left-wing expression.

6. Robin says:

Fisky,

The people behind the national curriculum are actually pushing a vision coming out of UNESCO. In the late 1980s we got something called Transformational outcomes based education being pushed simultaneously in the US, Europe, South Africa, NZ, Australia, and Hing Kong that I have found. That’s when the push away from academics began in earnest.

Right now it is the OECD, that’s where the idea of Graduate Attributes comes from, and then the UN Education for All and Millenium Development Goals. It also ties into the idea of a managed post fossil fuels/ post capitalism economy.

It’s all bogus but it’s important to recognize the interrelationships and that it is not just a US or Australian problem.

We can’t fix unless we know the drivers. If one element is known to be bogus, we need to extirpate the other elements are we cannot move beyond all this back to genuine innovation and real prosperity.

So I try to give a heads up everywhere I know of to avoid the abyss these fools will drive us to otherwise. With our money. And no knowledge of history or the impossibility of changing human nature. Which they acknowledge they are trying to do if you know where to look.

Silly, ignorant people with more power than sense.

7. Winston Smith says:

Thankyou Robin. The Intarwebs may just yet save us from the next Totalitarian government.
    Australia out of the UN!

8. Jim Rose says:

does that include those that hate inequality? war? poverty?

9. Jim Rose says:

Free speech is an ally of those seeking change. Governments that want stasis restrict speech.

Change in any complex system ultimately depends on the ability of outsiders to challenge the accepted views and the reigning institutions. Without a strong guarantee of freedom of speech, there is no effective right to challenge what is.

One of the things that separates democracies from autocracies is our absolute right to propagate opinions that the government finds wrong or even hateful.

British Columbia has an extremely broad hate speech law that prohibits the publication of any statement that “indicates” discrimination or is “likely” to expose a person or group or class of persons to hatred or contempt.

Professor Sunera Thobani of the University of British Columbia faced a hate crimes investigation after she delivered a vicious diatribe against American foreign policy.

Thobani, a Marxist feminist and multiculturalist activist, remarked that Americans are “bloodthirsty, vengeful and calling for blood.”

The Canadian hate-crimes law was created to protect minority groups from hate speech. But in this case, it was invoked to protect Americans.

10. Robin says:

Thank you Winston. Hope I phrased it better this time. Bad to post in a hurry.

On Canada (this pertains to all of us too but it’s a Canadian publication), I was downloading anything that I might ever need before my next post following up on the Belmont Challenge.

On the issue of moving away from GDP as the definition of prosperity, the report for Rio+20 cited a 2011 Hellwell essay called “How Can Subjective Well-Being be Improved?” in New Directions for Intelligent Government in Canada.

So yes if you think happiness, well-being, and changing human nature are legitimate roles of government, hatred is literally child’s play.

Especially before age 15.

11. jrm says:

Back in ’99-2000 I was doing a Master’s project that required some reading on educational theory so I joined a listserve on computer based education and there I came across professional educators using the term ‘cognitive dissonance’ in a way no one with any training in psychology would recognise. Research into that topic eventually led me to the web page of some guy who was then lecturing in “Transformational Education” and that is how I learned that it’s about challenging the values parents teach their children and, basically, getting kids to believe in the same things their incredibly intellectually gifted teachers do. You know, leftism and all that “progressive” crap.

The BEd and DipEd courses of our local university then included units on Transformational Education but five years later these units were no longer listed. That made me happy then but now I’m wondering if they just changed the names.

12. Robin says:

They changed the names to innocuous things like school improvement and quality assurance.

I have written this but I will repeat about the 2007 OECD report angry that the State of Victoria was still “clinging” to subject matter disciplines.

Life roles+changing child affectively =Tr OBE

But now we understand it and how it fits and where it is ALL going. And that really is the way back to sanity.

13. Elizabeth (Lizzie) B. says:

Subject disciplines rule, OK! Lots of work for da Abbott to do in 2014 or earlier bringing back free speech and restoring education to sanity again. Someone should tell him …

14. Rabz says:

“You’re too stupid to tell me what to think”

Yep, a self evident statement that the lobotomised leftist loons infesting this site would do well to consider.

Oh wait, they’re too stupid.

15. Gab says:

Have at it here.

yes it is active and yes you do receive replies, not just the automated response.

The more people do this, the better.

16. thefrollickingmole says:

So “lftists”, the same ones who decried GW Bushs’ “war or terror” stupid, because you cant beat a tactic, want to declare war on “hate”…

Well considering how well every major religion in the world is doing fighting “lust” Id say they ahve a long way to go.

17. Splatacrobat says:

Rene Descartes said “I think therefore I am”. The left are trying to turn it into “They are stupid therefore we need to think for them”. I think Kathy Shaidle has got the balance right by saying “You’re too stupid to tell me what to think”.

Who would have thunk it if they think that we think they should do our thinking for us? They need to think again!

oops my brain now hurts.

18. Robin says:

Splat-

The Left’s new version is “I am because we are”. It’s in Tim Jackson’s Prosperity Without Growth TED talk but I have seen it elsewhere on ed powerpoints.

The individual only exists as part of the group and can only be happy and fulfilled if the rest of the group has their needs met.

By guess who?

19. Splatacrobat says:

The Left’s new version is “I am because we are”

Actually the left’s new slogan is “I am because you aren’t”

20. bobby b says:

Link to the new Steyn article in McClean’s?