I would never vote for a Coalition led by Malcolm Turnbull

Andrew Bolt says that Malcolm Turnbull is about to have his final go at taking over the leadership of the Liberal Party by Tuesday, so that it is now or never to make our views known (see here, here and here).

When I used to work in Canberra, our offices backed onto the Liberal Party headquarters, and I was asked one time, even before Malcolm entered Parliament, what I thought about him. My answer was that if I was in the constituency that would decide the fate of the next election, and my vote was the one that would put him in or out, that I would hesitate about which way to go. That was then. Today I would have no doubt. The reasons.

Peter Wright For me, national security is the ultimate issue in any election. There are always international issues that matter, and they weigh heavy with me. All but forgotten today, The Spycatcher Trial was one of those moments I do not forget. Wright was an MI5 agent who set out to write a tell-all/reveal-all of the English intelligence service. Margaret Thatcher sought to prevent the publication of his book, and the final determination was in a court in Tasmania, in which Malcolm Turnbull sought to defend Wright and ultimately was successful in allowing the book to be published worldwide because it could be published in Australia. I was told then that everyone deserves the best defence and etc etc, but if Malcolm has ever said that he defended Wright even though he was treasonous scum, I haven’t heard it. I would never trust Turnbull on any national security issue, and there is nothing more important at the present time.

He’s a Warmist Anyone soft-headed enough to take in the Global Warming scam without at least some doubts is not a possessor of the shrewd, sensible, incisive mind I am looking for in a leader. He lost the leadership on this one issue at the time because there are people like me who would never line up behind anyone who believes this stuff needs trillion dollar government solutions to what is looking every day less of a problem.

He’s a Keynesian I once had a conversation with Malcolm over economic issues and mentioned something that I think of instinctively as an issue, the kind of thing Peter Costello put at the centre of his own management of the economy. His response was to walk off. Having watched and listened to him over the years, he has no sense of how an economy works. Given that when he led the Libs he was all set to follow Labor’s lead on the stimulus, and declared that the Coalition would have done much the same, in many ways he owns the problems we have right now.

Useless as a Minister He may be popular with the ABC and others like it, but this is only because he has never done anything of any use that would upset them. If he doesn’t upset the ABC, what could he possibly stand for? What issue has he carried forward as part of the government that has done an ounce of good? If the NBN is his crowning achievement, he has done nothing other than implement Kevin Rudd’s back-of-the-envelope idiocy that will cost us billions and return millions.

He Cannot be Trusted To draw a distinction between himself and the Prime Minister over the Human Rights Commission Report on children in detention not only shows the worst imaginable political judgement, but has him line up with the Government’s enemies. I am a million miles from Canberra right now, but since all and sundry report Turnbull’s treachery, who am I to doubt it. This is a government that needs to survive and win that next election. Abbott is learning how to be a PM on the job, and is actually getting the hang of it. Shame about the wasted first year, but that is now the past.

There is clearly a succession plan in place at the top of the Liberal Party. What may have begun as the second eleven is now starting to function as a very good government. And the PM does not like to lose, and I don’t think he will.

This entry was posted in Federal Politics. Bookmark the permalink.

162 Responses to I would never vote for a Coalition led by Malcolm Turnbull

1. Nic says:

I can’t for the life of me work out why they would choose him. He’s tried and has failed, he’s unpopular with the party’s base, he can’t be trusted, he’s an egotist who isn’t able to continue the policies thst have actually worked for the Libs.

2. Alfonso says:

Jo Nova nails it.
    “Malcolm Turnbull lost his leadership in 2009 because he wanted an emissions trading scheme. But that extraordinary wave may get reversed. Australia may still end up with an emissions trading scheme which will send billions in brokers fees to bankers, won’t change the climate, and will be almost impossible to unwind. It’s not about free markets, it’s about fake ones. What’s worse than a carbon tax? A carbon market.”

Judith seemed keen to talk about how CO2 gets priced, not whether that fraud is just an Institutional scam.
    Jo might not be aware that “broker’s fees” are the small end, writing and trading CO2 derivatives is where the real money is….and it’s forever.

3. Gab says:

“Hi, Steve. I’m a Labor voter, my family have always voted Labor too but if Malcolm leads the Liberals, we’ll all vote for him at the next election”.

Bwhhahahahahahahaha.

4. thefrollickingmole says:

Lets not forget signing up to the carbon tax Mk2 will also see us signing a few dozen UN style treaties with sclerotic economies like the EU and corrupt ones like the Chinese/Indian vowing to punish ourselves with reverse tariffs any time they feel like substituting some more dodgy figures.

0% chance of me voting libs and if Im numbering my ticket they will be just above socialist alliance or similar scum.

5. Robbo says:

Turnbull becoming leader of the Liberal Party again? If that happens they will not be getting my vote. Don’t his political colleagues remember what a complete disaster he was when he was leader a few years ago?Turnbull is in the Liberal Party because he thought it would lead to him going up the ladder faster than if he joined the Labor Party. It is well known that he made enquiries about joining Labor some years ago but then went away and joined the Liberals. Turnbull doesn’t believe in anything other than himself and if the idiot rabble who make up the backbench of the Liberal Party continue to whiteant Abbott in their quest to have Turnbull lead the Party once again then they will be signing their own political death warrant.

6. Pauline Young says:

Thanks Steve for that excellent summation of why Malcolm Turnbull should not be leader of the Liberal Party. I’ve just emailed my MP advising him of my voting intentions should this happen. I can’t help feeling that this has all been manufactured by the ABC and media to distract from their pursuit of the government over its treatment of HRC Gillian Triggs and the distinct possibility that she was the one asking for another role not the government pushing her out.

7. Eyrie says:

I’d have had Peter Wright offed and Turnbull quietly warned. Treasonous scum during the Cold War.

8. Makka says:

It’s come to this. Bloody disgraceful. Abbott’s LNP Govt has become farce.

9. Ant says:

Utegate: Anyone who would bank their entire case for the removal of a prime minister on a printed copy of an email – not even an electronic version of it – is, I’m afraid, a moron.
    The fact that Turnbull did this, he the tech savy genius from his OzEmail days, onlyto have the complete farce blow up in his face, shows that his ego and ambition are the only real reason he hauls his arse out of bed every morning.
    Oh, yes, he’s smart, educated, articulate, confident, wears a leather jacket well, but underpinning that his political instincts are those of a total dunderhead.
    And his spruiking and lying over the Great Global Warming Racket pretty much sums up what a snake he really is.
    So, thanks but no thanks. Take your BS back to Goldman Sachs or, better still, take it to the Labor Party, where you belong.

10. Eyrie says:

Also owes GS over getting him off the hook over HIH.

11. Rabz says:

Ahem – dim bulbs, anyone??

12. sabena says:

You can add the decision to ban incandescent lights bulbs which ignored the lack of any cost benefit analysis.

13. . says:

I wouldn’t vote for them, but I’d preference them over the Greens and ALP, who should always be preferenced last.

On Spycatcher, no one on this blog will agree with you. Nothing was compromised. You care more about foreign intelligence than a right to be represented in Australian court. This is another mark against your name Kates.

14. Big_Nambas says:

Thanks GAB, my first laugh of the day.

15. Rabz says:

I truly have a visceral loathing of Turnbull.

I’ve noted here on many an occasion that the Liberals have lost my vote (and I wasn’t going to bother letting them know why), but if Turnbull is made leader, several liberal MPs are going to cop an absolute earbashing from me, in person.

So proceed with caution, you frigging dunderheads.

16. Big_Nambas says:

It is clear that the libs don’t want to govern, self destruction in full swing.

Maybe they are smart, maybe they realise that Labor left such a mess it can’t be fixed! Better to let Labor back so they can reap their reward.

17. Rabz says:

wears a leather jacket well

No, no, he doesn’t. He just looks like fat old tryhard twat.

18. pete m says:

+ 1 to the “I will not vote for the party with MT in control”.

19. Tim Neilson says:

I wouldn’t vote for them.
    But we need to make it clear why. It’s no good just preferencing the ALP above him because then the Coalition will just assume they need to shift further left.
    If Turnbull wins there needs to be a strong public campaign to have conservative and libertarian voters leave their House of Reps ballot papers blank except for the annotation “This is John Galt speaking”.
    I’d vote in the Senate because there’s at least a chance of electing someone worthwhile and the slim chance of putting some brake on Labor.
    Incidentally, unless Abbott lifts his game further I’d be tempted to implement the above strategy anyway.

20. Gab says:

wears a leather jacket well

He looks like a Nazi SS goon in that horribly dated leather jacket.

21. Pyrmonter says:

On what planet is Dr Kates residing:

– tax increases
    – failure to rein in government outlays
    – bizarre choices in policies. It abolished the commercially-oriented and sound CAMAC advisory group; but has left the Law Reform Commission – a body that makes the Human Rights Commission look like members of the Junior Carlton Club – untouched
    – populist anti-foreigner politics being played first at food imports, then at those who have the temerity to want to buy a home here.

This government has been shown to be fundamentally anti-market; not anti-business as a lobby, but anti-market in that at the first whiff of popular dissatisfaction it has no hesitation in intervening: in this, it is as bad as Fraser, if not worse.

Turnbull may be the answer to a strange question – to Kates’s list of objections I’d add: knifed Peter King, a decent and sensible MP for Wentworth; and spent much of his career as fixer for one of he country’s most able private-sector rent-seekers, Packer. But those who refuse to see that there is a question to be answered as a major part of the problem.

22. Andore Jr says:

If the Q&A audience cheered me whenever I spoke, I’d bloody withdraw from nomination myself.

23. Gab says:

But but but the Q&A audience is 47% Liberal voters … bwahahahahahahahahahahahahhaha.

24. C.L. says:

Re Peter Wright, you’re right that he was a treasonous, greedy old bastard.

25. . says:

Why should Tasmanian courts do as the British PM says? Maybe we should repeal the Australia Acts? No?

This is the most bizzare criticism of Turnbull. Kates over egged the pudding.

26. Alfonso says:

“populist anti-foreigner politics being played first at food imports, then at those who have the temerity to want to buy a home here.”
    Turnbull might also be an open borders, ‘culture is irrelevant’ Libert, in a Goldman Sachs sort of way. Good luck.

27. Pyrmonter says:

Did Wright do anything other than publish gossip and speculation? I’ve always thought he probably shouldn’t have, as a matter of maintaining confidentiality in respect of information he gained through employment, but can’t see where the treachery arises in anything other than a technical sense.

28. H B Bear says:

From Bolts,

On ABC Radio National Breakfast, three women of the Left – Fran Kelly, Laura Tingle and Michelle Grattan – all agree with each other that the media has not pushed along the campaign against Abbott, and agree Abbott is hopeless etc etc etc.

Other than adding Le Snore Taylor, would it be possible to assemble a more hopeless collective than Our Fran, La Tingle and Mrs Magoo? Bungjourno in drag?

29. . says:

But but but the Q&A audience is 47% Liberal voters

Sad, but true. I actually believe the ABC data. Now if you don’t agree, just think about how the alternative hypothesis explains the behaviour of the Liberal party, barring Morrison and Johnston.

Even if the ABC are lying, the truth leaning towards 47% more than it is to a nominal figure.

30. . says:

Alfonso is from the Sharman Stone wing of the Liberal-Labor-Katterite friendship society.

31. Roger says:

He looks like a Nazi SS goon in that horribly dated leather jacket.

That’s being rather unfair to the SS.

32. Seco says:

I’m sick of this. Any workplace would collapse if they operated like Labor and the Libs with all their backstabbing and internal bitterness and infighting, why do these selfish fucks think they can behave like this as leaders of our country?

They all deserve what those drug dealers in Indonesia are going to cop.

33. candy says:

Malcolm Turnbull wants a free ride to the Lodge and is letting everyone do the dirty work for him.

I think Arthur Sinodinos is involved in all this – 2 overly sleek moneybags type characters with a grudge.

34. fred says:

Turnbul is everything I don’t like in a polli, wealthy do-gooder, global warmener, softy on refugees. Gee doesn’t that sound like KRudd. just saying!

35. Eyrie#1615502, posted on February 27, 2015 at 9:19 am

Also owes GS over getting him off the hook over HIH.

That’s not a Gay Marriage

36. Roger #1615541, posted on February 27, 2015 at 9:43 am

He looks like a Nazi SS goon in that horribly dated leather jacket.

That’s being rather unfair to the SS.

Completely agree. The Nazis had the best uniforms of WW2, designed by Hugo Boss.

37. JC says:

Dot

There are hardly any Libs in the audience . In fact they would be mostly all Greenscum fascists. What happens is… you call in saying you want to be in the audience of Q&A. They ask for your party affiliation and because the leftwing allocation has been filled they can’t take you in. So you call back later and tell them your party affiliation is lib. Leftwingers are just fucking liars and cheats. That’s all.

38. . says:

Come on. The fanatical Nazis had Hugo Boss designing their uniforms and he was a major supplier to the Wehrmacht and Nazi organs of state. Let’s not say things we know are false.

He looks like an awful caricature of a Nazi goon.

39. Rorschach says:

Ill be voting “Not Malcolm” if he’s leader.

I refuse to give my vote (and electoral funding) to some 2 bit independent – and will not preference the other side. I have principles and believe in honour.

I think this is clearly a time to show what differentiates the liberal / conservative side for the leftards – principles. The left will unthinkingly support whomever the consensus deems you have to support. Stand by your principles and do the honourable thing.

40. . says:

I have no doubt of that JC, but then I see Greg Hunt and Malcolm Turnbull and start doubting myself.

41. Neon says:

I agree . I have just send an e-mail to my federal member stating that I wont be voting Liberal/Nat if Malcolm is leader. We have Labor/Greens is I want to vote for the left.

42. Empire says:

defended Wright even though he was treasonous scum

If only it was so simple. Wright did besmirch the character of an innocent man (Hollis), but his frustration with the lack of zeal in rooting out moles was sincere.

He was encouraged to write the book, probably by the real mole, who has never been formally identified.

43. . says:

Just preference the ALP and Greens last, Rorsarch.

Why you refer to all wannabe MPs who aren’t liberal as “two bit” is bit of a joke. Look at Judith Troeth and Sue Boyce. Paper shuffling time servers. We could have put them to better use as marker buoys than as Senators.

44. Wal of Ipswich says:

Marius Benson is priapic with anticipation of a spill. Denial is useless when super Marius is on heat! BTW am I the only person who thinks he looks like Rocky Horror Show’s Riff Raff?

45. A Lurker says:

Turnbull = Narcissist, and an embittered one at that. He evidently thinks that the role of Prime Minister is his by right, and he will leak, whiteant and destabilise until he achieves his goal.

Which reminds me of the Douglas Adams quote:

“It is a well-known fact that those people who must want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it… anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job.”

Turnbull would destroy the Liberal party.

46. Sean says:

Peter [email protected]
    If the move to Turnbull they lose Bolt, Jones, Hadley, Kenny, Sheehan, Akerman, Albrechtsen & Godwin Grech.
    The party base, mate, the base

47. rich says:

Still calling it that Turnbull will become the next gen Fraser/Hewson. He drags the LNP to the centre by being to the left of the core voter base, and is the best PM Labor never had.

48. Vicki says:

I think Arthur Sinodinos is involved in all this

I agree Candy. Malcolm is not politically savvy enough to mount what is now a relentless campaign from within the Party.

I am quite terrified by the prospect of Malcolm succeeding – &, with the appropriate help, it is not out of the question. He is everything that has been mentioned on the thread, and more. He will “progressively” undermine every strongly held tenet of the Right in politics, just as the Left has white-anted education & other institutions over the last generation.

I am hoping that fear of him becoming PM will drive sensible Ministers & backbenchers to throw in their support for Bishop, if she can be persuaded to stand. Like most others on this blog, my first preference is, of course, Morrison. But I doubt that he can be persuaded to stand at this stage, as he is intent on completely reformed welfare & social security before it bankrupts the nation. After that, he will be unassailable.

49. Tintarella di Luna says:

I wonder why Christopher Pyne was in Sydney last night it’s just that it’s such a long way from Adelaide.
    This morning I met my local member this morning at his meet and greet. He was very forthright and said that what is happening in Canberra is not helping the Liberal campaign here in NSW – he said my federal local member was someone I should be speaking to about this instability – I assured him that my local member had heard loud and clear and that I intended to put in the mailboxes of a good part of the electorate that he’s forgotten about a speech he made at the end of last year which should give a crystal clear glimpse into his self-interested dark heart.

50. Faye says:

Tony Abbott is umpteen times better than Turnbull as a man and a politician. If Turnbull becomes leader, we will resign from the Liberal Party. And there are plenty of Liberals of the same mind. Remember the 4 Corners programme when he was Opposition Leader carrying on about the utegate/godwin grech debacle in his parliamentary office with Lucy in the thick of it. What does that all say about his political strategic judgement? But to be a champion of the biggest scam the world has ever known and to proclaim it as GOOD for the world and to cross the floor to vote with Rudd for an ETS, cancels him out completely. He is an empty vessel dressed up and presented as a reasonable man, who hasn’t got a clue.

51. Goanna says:

One can only hope that the moderate Scott Morrison comes up the outside to snatch victory.

52. Ant says:

I like Steve’s line:

If he doesn’t upset the ABC, what could he possibly stand for?

Whenever I bump into a Lib MP state or federal I love to point out that if they’re not pissing the ABC off then they’re doing it wrong.

BTW, the leather jacket thing was tongue in cheek. He wears a suit well – if it includes a red tie.

53. James of the Glen says:

Great summary, Steve. However, you forgot one characteristic, Turnbull is lazy.

54. Bill Griffiths says:

Steve, a hearty Hear Hear. If I wanted to vote for the Labour Party, I’d have done so.

55. Norma says:

If Turnbull becomes PM, there will be another spill before the election. I’ve just been off reading an old Fairfax article on the man. (via a comment at Bolt’s thread on MT). What an eye opener. FXJ will give him hell, and he will implode.

56. karl says:

But but but the Q&A audience is 47% Liberal voters
    Um Gab, hate to break it to you but no, they are not. That number is self denominated and is used by the ALP to comfort you dunderheads that you are not just all part of the same far left group think. Obviously, in your case, being a complete idiot means you don’t know that and actually think you are part of the centre. Turncoat will never be PM because for every Gab that changes their vote, there will be 3 conservatives who change their’s-bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaa

57. Combine Dave says:

Looks like he’s going to be PM shortly.

FMD..

Oh well, if he suppresses his inner lefty and doesn’t roll out an ETS, etc..

I’ll still consider voting LNP at the next election, just due to lack of choice.

58. Alfonso says:

You a bit slow, karl?

59. Fisky says:

Turnbull will never be PM.

60. Gab says:

Um Gab, hate to break it to you but no, they are not.

My fault, I didn’t realise I needed to add a sarc tag.

61. Rorschach says:

Coz I’d say every Independent has cost Australia – not only in actual monetary sense but critically in effing pointless waste time and effort required to pander to their pet projects, and manage their obstinacy and their sheer idiocy in most cases. And yes – I consider pandering to someone prioritising SSM over broken budget, and broken government (and being a cause thereof) an example there off .

62. Ant says:

Fall off the tuna boat yesterday, Karl?

Bwhaahaaaaaaaaaahahaha…etc

63. . says:

Rorschach
    #1615594, posted on February 27, 2015 at 10:30 am

You don’t get it. Abbott is allowing Hockey to fund all kinds of crazy crap promised to Mc Gowan, Oakeshott et. al. You are giving the LNP a pass no matter how poorly they perform.

64. tgs says:

LOL

65. Combine Dave says:

Turnbull will never be PM.

That’s giving me flash backs…

“There’s more chance of me becoming the full-forward for the Dogs than there is of any change in the Labor Party”.

66. Andore Jr says:

Personalities aside, I just don’t understand why Liberals are even considering this.

First term assassination of leader = mayhem later.

Bailieu (okay he sucked, but the consequences still carried over)
    Rudd

How thick headed is this? What idiot possibly thinks this is a good idea?

67. Tintarella di Luna says:

“There’s more chance of me becoming the full-forward for the Dogs than there is of any change in the Layba Pardy”.

Yes that is a terrible flash-back but it was said by a rolled-gold liar

68. Big_Nambas says:

GAB, just keep the laughs coming.

69. stackja says:

MT has always been ‘different’. As a young student he commented on the radio.
    To me he was a leftist in those days and seems he still is.
    As the saying goes:

If a man is not a socialist by the time he is 20, he has no heart. If he is not a conservative by the time he is 40, he has no brain.

70. daggers says:

Who knows for sure if the audience figures put up on Q&A are real ? I accept that 47% of the audience is Liberal, but the Green/Labor mob act as if they’re in a Munich beer hall and not a studio. Liberal voters don’t have the mongrel gene. So they don’t throw shoes at prime ministers and presidents. They don’t form raucous cheer squads that howl down the other side. They’re like Tony Abbott for god’s sake. They don’t know how to get loud and nasty. Example: Gillian Triggs abandoned her own child. Somebody, maybe not Abbott, needs to bring that up in an interview with Leigh Sales. It needs boots and all against the despicable left.

71. johanna says:

Malcolm in a leather jacket always reminds me of Bill Clinton in his mom jeans.

72. Memoryvault says:

Stand by your principles and do the honourable thing.

Will people please refrain from using the words “politicians” and “principles” in the same post.
    Australian politicians and political parties long ago discarded any semblance of “principles”.
    Today the political process is as follows:
    1) – get pre-selected
    2) – get elected
    3) – stay elected
    4) – line up a nice little earner for when the slops trough is finally taken away.

73. Deadman says:

Not only do I remember the Spycatcher Trial, and Turnbull’s snooty part therein, I remember that it took place in the Supreme Court of New South Wales and not in Tasmania.

74. Des Deskperson says:

‘Who knows for sure if the audience figures put up on Q&A are real ?’

Bear in mind that Liberals and conservatives generally have jobs, that Mondays tend to be particularly stressful in any real job and that therefore Liberals and conservatives generally are much less likely to have the reserves of mental and physical energy to turn out on a Monday night.

75. Gab says:

The thing is, Labor and it’s fanbois want Turnbull in as leader – it’s the best possible scenario for them. They know come an election there’s a high probability Mr 14% Popularity will lose. However, if by some slim chance, a Turnbull-led Liberal pack (of dogs) wins the election, Labor knows Mr The ETS is a Bonza Idea Turnbull will easily do Labor’s bidding on bringing back a mining tax, carbin (ETS) tax and opening up the borders plus Turnbull, the Member for ABC, will increase its funding . Turnbull as leader of the Libs is a win-win for Labor.

76. rebel with cause says:

Remember Malcolm was the Environment Minister in the Howard Government? In that post he was responsible for banning lightbulbs and a Water Act that ranked the environment ahead of economic and social concerns (setting up Murray Darling Basin communities for a good beating from the inner city left).

77. Infidel Tiger says:

One of the all time stupid quotes.

78. karl says:

“fall off the tuna boat”
    no just cranky-sorry gab-obviously I don’t come on enough to know.
    Cancelled my subscription to The Oz this morning. The piling on is getting out of hand. I still maintain that Turnbull won’t get the leadership and , even if he does, The ALP will still beat him. He is more divisive than Rudd.

79. Ivan Denisovich says:

MT has always been ‘different’. As a young student he commented on the radio.
    To me he was a leftist in those days and seems he still is.

Turnbull’s animus towards Abbott probably dates back to Sydney Uni., where they both studied in the late 70’s. Turnbull, besides his 2SM work, also filed articles for leftist rag Nation Review:

Nation Review was an Australian Sunday newspaper, which ceased publication in 1981. It was launched in 1970 after independent publisher Gordon Barton bought out Tom Fitzgerald’s[disambiguation needed] Nation publication and merged it with his own Sunday Review journal. Nation Review featured contributors such as Michael Leunig, Bob Ellis, Germaine Greer, Phillip Adams, Richard Beckett aka Sam Orr, Mungo MacCallum, John Hindle, Francis James, Patrick Cook, Morris Lurie, John Hepworth and Jenny Brown aka Zesta (now Jen Jewel Brown).

Alan Barcan chronicles some of The Sydney Uni battles. From the review of his book:

The same names appear over and over again: Anthony Albanese, Dennis Altman, Mick Armstrong, Wendy Bacon, Meredith Burgmann, Rohan Cahill, R.W. (Bob) Connell (or Raewyn Connell, as she is now known since a gender-reassignment in 2006 (p.151)), Ann and Jean Curthoys, Bob Gould, Hall Greenland, Germaine Greer, Craig Johnston, Michael Kirby, Belinda Neal, Jim and John Percy, Jim Spigelman, Anne Summers and Malcolm Turnbull. And they are joined by a strong supporting-cast of acolytes and hangers-on………………………………………

Tony Abbott also played a notable role a decade later leading an offensive against the far left domination of the SRC and Australian Union of Students, as well as against radical academics who were promoting courses in Marxist pseudo-economics. As Barcan notes, Abbott’s struggle (in which he was joined by others, including Greg Sheridan, now foreign editor of the The Australian) “offers a vivid glimpse of the gritty side of student politics” (p.133) that ended up in the Supreme Court.

By this time the New Left was thrashing about, as its influence waned and it sank into degeneracy. Winning the presidency of the SRC in 1978, Abbott and his supporters “confronted an Honi Soit obsessed with Far Left politics and with sex” (p.135), and Barcan provides some very telling examples of just how decadent and self-indulgent campus politics had become, with the New Left regime making a fetish out of the alleged benefits of male self-abuse, for example. Abbott was then able to expose how SRC funds (derived from students’ contributions) were misused to promote “ultra militant feminism, homosexual proselytism, and environmentalism gone to crazy lengths” (p.137).

Barcan provides several accounts of why the New Left declined in this fashion (pp.153-5; 207-9). The end of conscription and the end of the Vietnam War removed the primary aggravating factor; the economic recession of the mid-1970s shifted attention from internationalist idealism to domestic anxieties; the unity of the left collapsed under the impact of feminism; neo-Marxism was discredited and radical theory fragmented with the rise of identity politics; and the elite cadre of activists moved on, leaving an inferior next generation to carry on.

Nevertheless, the leftist system of patronage, preferment, nepotism and corruption was firmly entrenched, along with nihilist ideologies that justified doing “whatever it takes” to seize and hang onto power, however destructive the effect, especially in education.

80. Fred Lenin. says:

It would be a good thing if the Libs split on this issue ,the party would be destroyed and a new Real Conservative party woukd arise out of tge ashes rum by people who were not proffessional Aparatchiks . labor greens. Would make a mess of the place nd the new people would take over to fix the mess. The socialists of all parties would. E rubbish to the voters and we woukd get a glimmer of real Democracyhooefully the People would begin to rule. Not the aparat .

81. johninoxley says:

Steve, This looks like a list of his good points! I’ve said it before,” Turncoat and Krudd, only their mother can tell them apart”.

82. Melati says:

I would not vote for Liberal if Malcom is leader he has shown the upmost disloyalty to the elected
    Prime Minister of Australia Mr. Tony Abbott. First of all he is not a statement, he is self serving
    egoist. I like many others are angry at those back benchers, Wyatt, Laming, and many of the others.

I have emailed the National Party, if this happens the should strongly split and start putting their
    own represantantive, in place. I will turn up on Election Day but will cast no votes for any party.

83. Infidel Tiger says:

This is absurd.

Any Ministry that includes Andrews, Dutton, Hunt and Turnbull is a joke.

What has to be acknowledged is that Turnbull is probably the worst performed minister in history. Never has there been a more target rich environment than the NBN clusterfuck and yet this waffling, Napoleonic boob has only manger to bomb his own side.

He has been bested by Stephen Conroy. A filthy urine and fecal stained grub with the smarts of a retarded guinea pig. Shameful. Truly shameful. He should drown himself in a quiet bay in the harbour.

84. harrys on the boat says:

“If a man is ever a socialist he should top himself quietly in a ladies restroom.”

Liberty Quote

85. Bill Clark's nephew says:

Spot on again Steve.

Whoever it was that said ‘those whom the gods would destroy, they first make mad’ (probably Euripides) could easily have been referring to the Liberal Party in 2015. Having had a go at forcing a spill and being soundly rejected (61 to 39 is clear enough for most normal people) only two weeks ago, the clowns are still at it, with a vengeance that is eye-watering. This is despite the fact that Tony Abbott had stayed on focus, governing the country as competently as anyone can under the circumstances, taken it up to his many foes in and out of parliament, and clawing back four points on the two-party preferred in Newspoll. In the meanwhile, Shorten and Bowen have been exposed as intellectually lazy twerps unfit for government. So what’s the problem, what’s the rush? what may have looked almost hopeless not long ago now seems eminently do-able again.

If the federal Liberal Party allows itself to be stampeded, by a disgraceful and treacherous campaign of leaks and destabilisation that is feeding a media frenzy, into ditching their leader and throwing their lot in with that slime Turnbull, they will have forfeited the trust of those who elected them, and deserve to be smashed at the next election.

To paraphrase Turnbull himself – ‘I could not be a member of a party that was led by him’.

86. harrys on the boat says:

“[Malcolm Turnbull] has been bested by Stephen Conroy. A filthy urine and fecal stained grub with the smarts of a retarded guinea pig. Shameful. Truly shameful. He should drown himself in a quiet bay in the harbour.”

Liberty Quote

87. Combine Dave says:

How thick headed is this? What idiot possibly thinks this is a good idea

I imagine that Turnball thinks it’s a good idea.

88. David says:

The LNP truly is suicidal. I have just notified my local MP of my disgust at the behaviour and idiocy in even thinking Turnbull would be an alternative.

89. Menai Pete says:

The bottom line is that Turnbull does not want to be PM and he does not want to lead the Liberal Party. He just wants Labor to win the next election.

90. incoherent rambler says:

[Malcolm Turnbull] has been bested by Stephen Conroy.

It needs to be repeated, often.

91. Bruce in WA says:

My mouth goes dry and my pulse rate doubles every time I even think of that smug, self-centred, slimy, self-serving, arrogant, overbearing, pompous, pontificating, poisonous prat Turnbull becoming PM.

Unlike some of the more optimistic here, if the Libs implode I don’t think there will be any phoenix-like new conservative party arising from the ashes, not in the foreseeable future. Even if it did, it would take so long to form and regain any political strength that the [hack] ALP would have succeeded in their fondest wet dream of making Australia a totally “gimmee” country, reliant on the handouts and unwilling to hand them back. No-one will have any desire to vote for the bitter medicine it will need to drag Australia up and out of the socialist mire. Briefly … we’ll be fcuked.

92. Dan says:

Everybody is going nuts over something that, in all probability, has been cooked up by the media and a few gobshite statist backbenchers.

93. Tel says:

Stick with Abbott. He ain’t great but Turnbull is worse and swapping PMs in such a way makes them look like the ALP.

94. Bruce in WA says:

^^^ This … I bloody well hope.

95. HRT says:

I’m sure, or at least I think I am, that it is a good thing we see things differently.

After RGR I was looking forward to a short back and sides, frugal, competent and trustworthy government. Instead I was told the government had to stop spending as we had a budget emergency but, that it was not so serious it would prevent a medical research fund being set up to blow 20 billion.

Then I found out I was lied to about tax and Section 18C . Soon after I was subjected to BS about the petrol tax. Later I was advised a knighthood would go to Prince Philip although, it was intended to be for Australians only.

End result is I won’t vote for the LNP while Abbott is PM. I don’t trust the bugger.

96. Infidel Tiger says:

Don’t blame me, I voted Smokers Rights Party.

97. gabrianga says:

Perhaps it is time to judge a man by the company he keeps.

In 1987, Lord Wentworth established an investment banking firm, Whitlam Turnbull & Co Ltd, in partnership with Neville Wran (a former Labor Premier of New South Wales) and the former State Bank of New South Wales chief executive, Nicholas Whitlam (son of Gough) Whitlam parted company with the others in 1990, and, from then until 1997, when Turnbull moved to become a managing director and later a partner of Goldman Sachs, the firm operated as Turnbull & Partners Ltd.

Lord Wentworth’s “apology” to former partner McWilliams over the Channel 7 raid was of course denied but Turnbull never denied speaking to his old mate.

Was it the lure of the Sachs money in the renewable game which finally won him over to become Rudd’s and the “Global Warmers” best friend?

98. Norma says:

I’ve just contacted my lower house MP, and all of my state LNP Senators telling them if Turnbull becomes PM I will vote informal in the lower house, and National in the Senate if possible (In Qld we don’t currently have the Nat option, but I’m sure something could be arranged)

99. Piett says:

Re Peter Wright, you’re right that he was a treasonous, greedy old bastard.

Rubbish. Wright was no leftist a la Assange or Snowden; he was a deeply conservative MI5 officer who had come to the horrifying conclusion that his outfit had been penetrated by commies at the very highest levels. He could do nothing about this from within government, so as an act of desperation, he resigned, came to Australia, and wrote his book, in the hope that it would spark a public enquiry.

Anyone who has read it knows that it did not compromise intelligence sources and methods. Thatcher tried to have it banned because it was politically embarrassing, not because it harmed national security.

Wright was almost certainly wrong about the head of MI5 being a Soviet agent. Maybe he was going a bit nutty. But whatever you think of MT, he deserves no criticism for defending Wright.

100. Dan says:

Has any parliamentry member of the LNP put their name to the rumour?

This stinks of ALP/media bullshit. I reckon Turnbull won’t run at the next election

101. Ellen of Tasmania says:

Crossie even got the slogan ready on the Walker thread.

“Great Scott, you’re right.”

102. Ellen of Tasmania says:

The thing is, Labor and it’s fanbois want Turnbull in as leader

And they can have him – as their leader. I still think he would make a great Labor leader. Has anyone done a poll – who would you prefer as Labor leader, Shorten or Turnbull?

103. joelb1 says:

The Liberal won’t get my vote with Turnbull.

104. Deadman says:

whatever you think of MT, he deserves no criticism for defending Wright.

I don’t criticise Turnbull for defending Wright but because of how he defended Wright. He was, at times, dishonourable in his conduct. Even before his political career began Turnbull was, for example, a persistent leaker of deliberately distorted information, half-truths, mischievous fabrications and downright lies. Furthermore, Turnbull seemed to have a partisan, iconoclastic, anti-Conservative agenda. See, for example, Chapman Pincher, A Web of Deception: The Spycatcher Affair (London, 1987):

Turnbull is on record as saying that he particularly wanted to ‘nail Mrs. Thatcher’ over her statement to Parliament about Sir Roger Hollis and had wanted Neil Kinnock, the Labour Leader, ‘to get her about that’. He eventually expressed disappointment that Kinnock, with whom he had been in personal touch by telephone, had failed him, though the Labour leader had, in fact, been as helpful as he dared. [p. 113-14]
    Turnbull was permitted [in court] to make the wildest accusations and inaccurate suggestions, without reasonable intervention from the judge, in his verbal assassination of Sir Robert [Armstrong], Sir Michael Havers and, when the opportunity occurred, Mrs. Thatcher. [p. 120]

105. Andrew says:

To be fair there were important differences between him and the Goose.
    – He was pushing deposit insurance BEFORE the emergency, around June 2008. The Goose was pissing on the idea, before becoming the last Treasurer on the planet to get one, claiming the idea, making a colossal mess of the implementation of $infinity, no $50m no $1m as Australian credit markets collapsed in a Lehman-style crisis on flight to de facto government paper in the banks.
    – He opposed aggressive deflationary policy measures at the May 2008 budget, when the Goose (oblivious to the US 6 months into a recession and already having had Bear Stearns broke with the rest ready to follow) decided that we needed massively higher interest rates – pushing the RBA via the Treasury reps to send rates to a decade-high 7.25% and cause catastrophic bankruptcies across Western Sydney. People lost their homes for no reason, with the appropriate rate actually about 4%.
    – He called for a 6 month stimulus, and reevaluation after that point – by then, the economy had recovered and the stockmarket was up 50%. Unlike the Goose, he would not have stimulated through 7 rate increases, a soaring currency and a terms of trade boom.

That doesn’t excuse the other idiocy you describe, but to liken him to a unity ticket with Rudd-Goose is inaccurate.

106. Jim says:

About Abbott…

I’ve got a very dumb golden retriever, who is also learning on the job – how not to shit on the carpet at least. He too is also getting the hang of it, but much faster than Mr Abbott.

Australia doesn’t have the luxury of a slow leaner as PM.

107. Gerry Byrne says:

Mr Turnbull just needs to read the 14 pages of comment on Andrew’s site. He should then get the message that WE DO NOT TRUST HIM.

108. Maggie says:

If Abbot is rolled and replaced by anyone I will not vote for the Liberals at the next election.

If Sinodinos is successful in his betrayal of Abbott and Turnbull is the replacement why does he think he will be a better leader in Government is in Opposition.

Turnbull I am sure is so humble he will be eternally grateful to Abbott for taking all the barbs and arrows and leading the Liberals from the brink of extinction under him to Government, bestowing him with a Ministry and gifting him the Prime Ministership.

109. Infidel Tiger says:

Sinodinos, the Senator for Obeid, has proven himself to be a contemptible dwarf in both stature and morals.

Australia has had terrible luck with ethnics and Brits in our political life. It’s time we got some Orientals on the job.

110. Andrew says:

Obviously I wouldn’t vote for him. But I can see the upside.
    – Nobody really liked A666 (thanks in large part to be ordered daily by the meeja to hate him for no particular reason that they can articulate while hating him)
    – A666 makes a useful scapegoat for any policies they want to walk away from
    – We can burn Turncoat prior to an election to be lost anyhow, rather than have to put up with this idiocy in late 2016 and have to throw away the 2019 election
    – Once he recreates his 18% approval rating and find himself the victim of daily smears from the meeja, the brain-dead 39% of the Parliamentary party will learn the horrifying lesson that you shouldn’t elect leaders to appeal to Greens voters because they will never actually convert them at the ballot box
    – We get to ensure that the SLF leads the ALP to the next election, rather than the X-chromosomally gifted Blabbersac
    – Which means the Libs get a proper run at the 2019 election to be held after the Great SLF Recession of 2016-2019.

The worst possible outcome for the country at this point is an increasingly Gillardesque A666 bleeding votes into a 2016 landslide, followed by a 3 year Turncoat term in which he signs onto every Regressive position like ETS (I don’t care about SSM, but some people do) and cooperates in the dramatic weakening of “cruel” border control measures while attempting to remain to the right of the hopeless Marles as a point of differentiation.

It would be worth seeing him as PM for a year to accelerate his departure from the Parliament.

111. JC says:

Yea, like the Wong dude was an outstanding success too. But I agree with the no Limey policy though.

112. . says:

With Mr and Mrs Credlin at the helm? I doubt that would then become a “teaching moment”.

113. Infidel Tiger says:

Miranda Devine has tweeted this article to her followers.

114. . says:

Send in the trolls…

115. Infidel Tiger says:

You’re right. Bill O’Chee and Peter Wong haven’t exactly been success stories.

Hmmm. Maybe politicians just plain suck.

116. Kadon says:

Turnbull is a sneaky traitor. He never comes out in the open and lets everyone else do his dirty work for him. How is it possible that anybody wants to deliver our beloved country into his greedy hands.

117. Craig Mc says:

I’ve hated that [naughty word edit. Sinc] for almost ten years, and I’ll keep hating him for at least another.

118. Fleeced says:

NSW Libs should win the state election easily – and are set to do just that. What a coincidence that this flares up during the NSW campaign. It’s almost as if they want a poor result (even a “poor win”) so that they can use it to further whack Abbott with.

119. Pusnip says:

Sorry Steven Kates but I don’t believe you.
    I think having the choice of Turnbull or Shorten at the next election, YOU WILL VOTE FOR A TURNBULL-LED COALITION.

120. David says:

But I agree with the no Limey policy though

Limey? Wrong country JC. Perhaps you mean no Pommies 🙂

121. Anne says:

Turnbull is Obama ‘light’ (no pun intended).

He is a European Union, One World Order, Bureaucrat to his bones!

122. Eddystone says:

I’d already stopped voting Liberal, thanks to having Jamie Briggs as my local member.

If Turnbull becomes PM, I’m going to preference Labor and the Greens ahead of them.

123. JC says:

A Limey is a Pom, David. Please.

124. Elizabeth (Lizzie) B. says:

Yep. Stay with Abbott, to keep the seat warm for Sir Scott.
    If it doesn’t happen, then a vote for Abbott is the least of my worries.
    Shorten may get in. Let me just repeat that for total emphasis.
    Shorten may get in.

125. Anne says:

He is more divisive than Rudd.

I agree Karl. They’re very similar, though we probably wouldn’t see Turnbull consuming his own body fluids.

126. egg_ says:

With Mr and Mrs Credlin at the helm?

That’s yer problem, right there…

127. David says:

A Limey is a Pom, David. Please

If you are a Yank JC. But you are obviously free to call the Poms what you like and I take no issue with that right.

Shalom Anne.

128. Anne says:

Fisky
    #1615590, posted on February 27, 2015 at 10:28 am
    Turnbull will never be PM.

He could if he defected to the ALP now.

129. Tim Neilson says:

Eddystone
    #1615918, posted on February 27, 2015 at 3:31 pm

Please don’t. The Coalition will deduce from a high Labor/Greens 2PP that they need to go further left. Just leave the little boxes on the Hof Reps paper blank and write “This is John Galt speaking”, and vote for someone, anyone, who appears to be at least half genuinely conservative or libertarian (as you wish) in the Senate.

130. David says:

I’m going to preference Labor and the Greens ahead of them

Only an option if you are in to self harm Eddystone.

131. Eddystone says:

Jamie Briggs has a 2PP margin of 25%.

If Turnbull is PM, he’s going last, and he’ll know why.

132. Lem says:

Who says it has to be Turnbull??

Would you still vote Liberal, Steve, if it was Morrison?

133. Andrew says:

Jenna Price, anybody named Clementine

134. Andrew says:

One of the all time stupid quotes.

This. If you’ve got a functioning brain sufficient to complete school exams and drive a car, there’s no excuse for ever holding socialist views at 18. Possibly at age 10 one could be impressionable enough before learning anything about the universal disaster that is the Left in year 7 history.

135. Andrew says:

Shorten may get in. Let me just repeat that for total emphasis.
    Shorten may get in.

That’s happening anyway. Once the meeja grabs the “chaos” narrative and starts full campaign mode, no PM can survive. A666 is terminal, either now or at the next election.

Therefore, the choices are:

A) The SLF wallops a hapless A666 60/40 2PP, and just as he’s sworn in Lord Mal becomes LOTO. He waves through every socialist initiative in the hope of positioning himself as a genuine alternative for his Regressive fans in Woollahra to vote for in 2019. We have an Enormous Trading Scam and every other reprehensible policy that got him sacked last time. We can never extract ourselves from Kyoto. The country goes broke with an ETS bill of $1tr. Lord Mal is thumped 65/35 2PP in 2019, and can’t understand why the ALPBC has been his mortal enemy for 3 years. The SLF takes total control of the Sen8, with such a dominant count that he doesn’t even need to enter a coalition with the Greens. He does anyway, and Sir Scott is elected in 2022 with a hostile Sen8.

OR

B) Lord Mal becomes LOTO now, after signing a pledge not to bring back the ETS policy before the next election. The SLF wallops him 60/40 in 2016 after 18 months of vicious campaigning by the ALPBC about da rich, out of touch corporate gangster and Grech fellatrix Turncoat who stabbed a serving PM in the back for his own selfish motives. Lord Mal slinks off from a Whitlamesque defeat.

I can’t see the downside in B. I’m happy to support him in the spill. Then write “No chardonnay socialists – f*** Turnbull” on my ballot paper, and rendering informal a purported Lib ballot paper in 2016 and hoping that the LNP scrutineers pass on the message.

136. oldsalt says:

national security is the ultimate issue in any election

Strange then that you crap on about Wright and don’t mention our future sub build. If you had said National Interest, of which security is a part, you may have sounded more sincere, even knowledgable.

Myself and a few friends had hoped that the Coalition would win the last election. Not because we expected much from a deeply unimpressive group, but we thought they may do less harm than the ALP while we waited for a newer, better generation to come through. To this end, we’d hoped that the ALP would be decimated, all the better to bring forth new faces asap. Sadly Rudd prevented this. He didn’t do any favours for the Nation. Sadly, also, we may have been wrong to think the Coalition would do less damage.

The current contretemps with Jakarta is showing just how little soft power we have, ceratainly not commensurate with a self proclaimed middle ranking power. Aid is soft power, Abbott tried to use it as hard power. Again, his advisor/s should be sacked. With so little soft power, dumbfuck Bishop forces a merger of Ausaid with DFAT, wrecking our only real resource of soft power. The US would never merge Usaid with State. The Imelda Marcos of the Antipodes doesn’t have a strategic pearl in her necklace. Turnbull should replace her with Hunt and reinvigorate our soft power.

If the election coincides with a failing economy, it won’t matter who leads the Coalition – they’re gone.

137. . says:

oldsalt
    #1616059, posted on February 27, 2015 at 6:35 pm
    national security is the ultimate issue in any election

Indeed.

Buy American.

We should have pulled thetrigger when the AUD was at 1.10 Greenbacks.

138. Buy American.

Buy Japanese for conventional subs

139. mem says:

1. He is a republican. I don’t mind that but I do mind about voting the commonwealth structure out without knowing what comes next and how it will be decided in perpetuity. Turnbull wanted Australians to sign the equivalent of a blank cheque on the republican issue and tell us how it was decided afterwards. You’d have to be a mug to go for that! No I don’t trust the bastard. And the global warming stuff is bullshit.

140. . says:

No he didn’t. You were given copious amounts of material to read from the AEC, I suspect you didn’t do your homework.

Please read the Sir Samuel Griffith Society papers. We are already a de facto republic.

141. Suzie says:

Never! He should have remained in the Labor Party.

142. Bruce of Newcastle says:

I really hope some Turnbull staffer is listening to Price/Bolt on 2GB tonight. It would scare Turnbull white. The base is pissed.

I admit that he probably realises the only way to get to be PM is by a spill. That gives him a year of glory. Thereafter if he loses the election in a wipeout he won’t care – he’ll just blame the unwashed electorate for not understanding his awesomeness.

143. candy says:

I would say it’s virtually a shoo-in for Shorten now.

Another spill option next week just tells people the government is completely divided and can’t function.
    I guess that’s what Malcolm Turnbull and Julie Bishop and a few others want, though.

Malcolm Turnbull and the Cabinet ministers who have turned on Tony Abbott are behaving despicably.

I think it’s Julie Bishop, Sussan Ley, perhaps Scott Morrison, Greg Hunt. I’m not sure about Pyne. He’s a mystery.

144. Tintarella di Luna says:

I’m not sure about Pyne. He’s a mystery.

Here’s a hint candy, Pyne was in Sydney last night, Why? he lives in Adelaide, he’d been in Canberra all week — why was he in Sydney? A bit of face to face with Mr Golem Sucks maybe?

145. Tintarella di Luna says:

Excellent summary Bruce of Newcastle – that’s exactly what he’s like — he wants to take it all — he doesn’t give a tinker’s cuss if Australia loses.

146. candy says:

I see, Tinta.

Well, that could be ominous. I’ve watched them in Question Time, I guess like everyone else, to try and work who the backstabbers are.
    All I can say for sure it is not Joe Hockey, Warren Truss, Barnaby Joyce, Peter Dutton, Ian McFarlane.

147. Rabz says:

FFS – if these are our so called leaders, then god help us all.

148. Tintarella di Luna says:

FFS – if these are our so called leaders, then god help us all.

i just want the whole sorry mess to end

149. min says:

I had forgotten that Turnbull was abandoned by his mother . What does this do to your beliefs about your self , children tend to blame themselves eg if my mother loved me she would not have left me , then put into boarding school by his father .. All his life he has had to prove that he is an ok person . Maybe Lucy has supported him so well that he has overcome the damage done , but I don’t think so . I’d love to have some Socratic dialogue with him and find out why all the passive aggressive behaviour .

150. egg_ says:

All I can say for sure it is not Joe Hockey

But, but… he’s ‘No Ordinary Joe’!

151. egg_ says:

Ah, but once he experiences such power, will he so willingly relinquish it?

152. Watching It Unfold says:

Its Abbott – Ok he hasn’t done everything, but I’m hopeful that with a better senate in the 2nd term we’ll see some more improvement. So I’m taking Abbott or nothing….I mean it….if he gets the chop I’m giving up unless someone tells me that Morrison got up. Turnbull needs to leave and leave now.

153. sdfc says:

Yes let’s hope that Abbott survives long enough to bring the family home into the asset test for the pension.

154. Hasbeen says:

They must be stark raving mad to even think conservative voters would vote for a party that a RUDD look alike like Turnbull led. Nothing could get me to vote for a party with him as leader.

Tony has done the 2 most important things Turnbull would never have done, boats & carbon tax. This country needs him. It is a pity he keeps stumbling on the little hills, but he has jumped the big ones.

155. Stinky says:

While I don’t want any change to the current leadership, the harsh views expressed here against MT are no better than the Liberal Party itself tearing apart over leadership. Just calm down.

156. Andrew says:

That’s partly true, Mem. As Dot points out, the model unsuccessfully offered in 1999 was specific (super-majority parliamentary appointment). That proved about as popular as, well, Turncoat himself. But as you say, what Turnbull WANTED and continues to want is the “blank cheque” republican vote. You vote for a republic because Yay Republic and Boo Queen, and then down the track your betters will decide for you. He specifically blamed Howard6666 for requiring a specific model being put to the vote.

It’s pretty clear that if you aggregated all “republic” models, the concept had popular support but there was enough opposition to any specific model that even the one he came up with wasn’t going to get there. Same result had they put up the US model – people shocked at the implied upgrade in the HoS’ mandate and powers would have voted it down too. (As I would – it’s bad enough having ONE elected exec fucking it up for everyone, let alone two.)

Turncoat is still having a dummy spit today that his blank cheque model wasn’t put to the people, and that’s the referendum he’s supporting now.

157. Andrew says:

His positions on EVERYTHING form a spectrum from “contrary to the conservative base” (all his socially Regressive views like SSM) through to morally repugnant and horrendously damaging to national interests (pro-people smuggling, although his opposition to OSB has been more coded since its spectacular success; ETS). He is vastly more dangerous than the SLF, because he promises to wave through the worst of the worst coming from the Greenleft.

A666 got pilloried for a captain’s pick that knighted a 93yo charity worker and war veteran – it cost us the price of a certificate and medal. Now imagine those captains picks flooding in every week for 3 years, costing us $57bn p.a. (the bill for the CEF legislation that A666 repealed).

158. . says:

Umm…yeah. That was delusional. JWH didn’t write the constitution. AI Clark did. (Deakin et. al., were editors).

A republic model like that of Ireland will get up once the older voters have passed away and the “echo boom” grandchildren of the baby boom and baby bonus start to dominate the numbers. People still want a Parliamentary government but they want an elected figurehead with largely ceremonial and rarely used deadlock or emergency powers.

159. stu says:

Latest poll has Malcolm streets ahead of Bill Shorten as preferred ALP leader

160. Pricky Reed says:

Turnbull stands for three main ideals. A Republic, a Carbon Tax and himself.