Malcolm Turnbull for PM

Every political leader comes with added features that are not to my liking, even the ones I like the best. With Tony Abbott, his lack of genuine mongrel, an unwillingness to deal with enemies within the party in as hard a way as possible, was unfortunate. His willingness to let others take care of, and maintain responsibility for, their own portfolios without intervention was perhaps a fault, but it was only a fault because of the incompetence and ill-will which surrounded him. Brandis’s “even bigots have rights” sunk the ability to defeat 18C, but I knew Brandis was an incompetent and perhaps Tony did not. Malcolm at the ABC was another, and Joe in Treasury is yet one more. Yet these are genuine power brokers within the party. Tony did what he could with the material he had, but they let him down, along with the rest of us.

On the issues that got him into hot water on our side, it was Paid Parental Leave that was possibly the worst so far as public relations went, but was not a bad idea in more normal times. As I read it, he was trying to strengthen the family and open the opportunity for women to have children, an aim I fully support. Constitutional recognition of Aboriginals I still think is a judicial nightmare we do not need and would long regret. But this, too, came with a charitable heart, and I naturally support his wish to improve the lives of aboriginal people.

I knew, however, just how up hill the battle would be when I came back in July to find Bronwyn Bishop’s helicopter ride a daily front-page story across the Murdoch press. This is a one-day non-issue unless there is another agenda running besides selling papers. The speed with which Tony Burke’s genuine example of rorting disappeared within days, and never had traction, is what any political leader would have expected. What he was dealing with, however, was an Australian-ABC axis that in the end was too powerful to resist. This piece of disgusting hypocrisy from The Australian yesterday was typical:

Turnbull’s critics should pull their heads in and focus on the real battle: it’s against Shorten and the Labor Party, not between opposing factions in the Liberal Party.

Really? Is this so? Where was this advice a week ago when Abbott was leader and Turnbull was doing everything he could to unsettle the Government. Disgusting sanctimonious cant, disguised as independent, above-the-fray objective advice. But it was what I had become used to.

Even with it all, Tony ended up with 44 against 54. I am, of course, in the 44. Tony has the safest pair of hands of anyone on all of the issues that matter to me. This is from Jo Nova who says about climate change what I feel about much else:

Despite the resounding win a mere two years ago, and achieving his main promises, Abbott has been ousted in his first term. Politics is dirtier than ever.

He was elected with a big win, but lasted just two years in office. Gillard barely made a government, needing help from two turncoats, and her legacy legislation burnt her solemn promise – yet she held office even longer than Abbott did.

The anti Abbott, Abbott, Abbott campaign in the media has been relentless and successful.

Turnbull has said he will stick with Australia’s carbon emissions cuts (26% by 2030) but this means nothing. Firstly, the target is obscenely high, and secondly, there are so many possible ways to waste more money and give up more sovereign rights in Paris. He can sell us out to the financial houses that want carbon trading, and waste additional billions on renewable energy.

All that and more. The Liberal Party is filled with others like Malcolm and it is a problem. But here is where we are. There are the 44 who are still in the party room, and there are the Coalition National Party also in the government. And Labor is a disaster in the making of such massive proportion, of the Bernie Sanders and Jeremy Corbyn variety, that not voting Coalition at the next election is unthinkable. Malcolm has now got this to add to his CV, everyone in the party room knows the extent to which he is an empty vessel, but the stakes are too high even to think about Bill Shorten, never mind Tanya as PM.

This entry was posted in Federal Politics. Bookmark the permalink.

369 Responses to Malcolm Turnbull for PM

1. Jeremy Steyer says:

Martin fucking Parkinson, the economic climate change guru himself.

I take it all back Lem, clearly Turnbull is a fiscal conservative of the sternest measure. No doubt he simply wishes to consult Dr Parkinson about the proper growing of Petunias.

2. Big Nana says:

I actually phoned my local member’s office and asked she be told immediately that if Abbott was shafted I would do everything in my power to ensure as many as possible of the huge number of voters in my extended family wouldn’t vote LNP at the next election. Unfortunately I can’t find out how she voted, but the result is the same. I will be telling everyone, dozens within my immediate circle of family, to vote anything but either major party.
    Up here in the Kimberley we don’t get much of a choice, but hell, I’ll even vote for the Sex Party if it means the LNP learn a lesson on loyalty.
    I actually am starting to believe the younger generation need to hit the gutter in order to learn some hard lessons.

3. Zulu Kilo Two Alpha says:

rod (vung tau ferry pogo) said in reply to Lorraine…

Relevant Extract from Hansard

What I want to speak about tonight is Kevin Rudd, the man. All of us in politics experience great joy, great highs, and often suffer great lows and setbacks. I will never forget the day that you gave your press conference following your removal as Leader of the Labor Party by your colleagues. It is etched in my memory. It was one of the cruellest moments I have ever witnessed. I had lost the leadership of my own party but, frankly, that was in a dispute about policy. The current Prime Minister, the member for Warringah, and I and various members of the party had a difference about policy and it was resolved in a ballot. It was well flagged. We were bringing it to a head; it was something we had to resolve. It was, if you like, a very fair fight.

The betrayal of you as leader of your party was one of the most shocking events I have ever witnessed. I think it would be one of the most shocking events any of us have ever witnessed in politics—the scale of it. The idea that the man who had won, in this presidential campaign, an election against John Howard was then going to be disposed of, discarded like another course on a lazy Susan in a Vietnamese restaurant—the cruelty of it was extraordinary!

“Fucking hypocrite” are two words that spring to mind

4. Memoryvault says:

We are looking at an extra $30+ bn to do that rather than get working Jap built subs.

And the rest, IT. We budgeted $8 billion in 1987 for six subs. Nearly 30 years and $40 billion later, we’ve got one operational (sort-of), one good for surface training, and four hulks.

In 2006 we budgeted $8 billion for three AWF destroyers. A decade and nearly $11 billion later, we have one hull with superstructure, and not much else. And we just gave the ASC pricks another $49 billion worth of contracts to build six frigates and some patrol boats.

We have already poured billions into the JSF-35 fighter, which will probably never see full-scale production. Reality is, in another ten years we will be utterly defenceless apart from boots on the ground, and we will have spent ~ $120 billion getting there.

5. A Lurker says:

Afternoon all. So how are we feeling today, and which stage of the grief process are we at?

I’m a Conservative in a National Party electorate, so they’ll get #2, and a local small Conservative Indie or ALA or FF or whoever else isn’t a raving Socialist will get #1.

Ditto for the Senate.

The Libs are now a non-party as far as I am concerned.

6. Jeremy Steyer says:

As far as anyone with any principles at all is concerned, the libs are dead, at the very least never to receive a first preference again.

Strangely some prominent members of this board seems rather elated.

7. Lem says:

Pretty big call Jeremy. And you can tell Bill Shorten I said that myself.

8. Gab says:

Big Nana, I have a list of the way they all voted. hang about while I find it.

9. Gab says:

Here’s the list of how they all voted.

10. Snoopy says:

I’m in Dutton’s electorate. I have known him since he was a cop (not professionally). He’s an honourable man although he failed to publicly declare his climate scepticism. I will vote for him if there is a next time. Other than that the LNP is dead to me.

11. Infidel Tiger says:

Strangely some prominent members of this board seems rather elated.

I’m elated the Liberal Party is finished. Now we just need the ALP to die.

12. Senile Old Guy says:

I’m slightly conflicted. My representative voted for Abbott but I have loathed Turnbull since he first came to prominence…so bad luck for my local MP.

13. Gab says:

Michael Smith News has the footage.

Thank you, Zulu.

14. Grigory M says:

You can bet your bippy that Turncoat will ensure an ETS becomes Government policy in the near future. He was reminiscing about past ETS performance in today’s Question Time.

Define “near future”.

If the Martin Parkinson rumour is correct, you’ll find out what “near future” means soon enough.

15. Lem says:

Nothing like cutting your nose off to spite your face. The pain gives the anger a new focus.

Nowhere for your glasses to rest though, which makes the computer screen a bit difficult to see.

16. Habib says:

Memoryvault, don’t forget the MRH90 (or Landsprite as it’s known in military aviation circles), and the occasionally flying fumigator ARH, due for mid service life upgrade and still yet to be cleared operational. The fucker responsible for this has retired to several sinecures, as per SOP.

17. Habib says:

Thanx for the rogues gallery, it confirms I can put Gambaro squarly on my shit list in all good conscience. Marginal seat as well, and a fair chunk of my clan are registered residents. Back to the fish and chip shop, you conniving cow.

18. john constantine says:

Vote for the nats–imagine the humble pie the rump of the libs will have to munch when they have to go crawling to those they see as the idiot redneck cousins.

“Come on Billy -Bob, everyone at mardi-gras signed a petition to ban guns”

“hey Bubba, can we have a billion for the yarts, so we libs can get flattered at exhibitions and first night openings?”

“Hey Barnaby, the greens have a meme on facetwit calling for a billion gigaliters to go from irrigation to gaia and the libs are banned from the glory hole until we sign up”

Given all the inbred blue blood elite twits vote green now and the Nats represent the poorest electorates in the country, a few billion for battling young families seems a cheap price to pay to explode the swampies heads like chinese new year crackers.

19. Senile Old Guy says:

Nothing like cutting your nose off to spite your face.

In his first day as PM, Turncoat has signed off on billions. Much of the money for the subs in SA will end up in the CMFEU coffers, ready to fund the next ALP election campaign.

And you think I should support the LNP?

20. JC says:

That’s the pretty retarded comment? So the liberal party isn’t dead to you with that qualification. Go clean Driller’s toilets and STFU, you idiot.

21. fhb5 says:

I have personal recollection of the info at the above site re his merchant banking days with Whitlam Turnbull as I worked in the finance industry in the 80s/90s. As to the other stuff it seems kosher as it quotes newspaper reports and the like.

Given all this info I suspect, no, actually I know, we have a Liberal leader who is more Labor than Shorten. No wonder the left wanted him in. We now have two Labor parties running this country.

Probably not much change coming into the next election, but I suspect we will have His full Left agenda thrust on us if he gets re-elected.

I really think the only hope is for a Labor win at the next election and the country finally gets to see the disastrous results of the Rudd/Gillard/Turnbull policies and the sheople finally see their only hope for a decent life/salvation is a vote for a real Conservative government.

22. Gab says:

The bruvvers have made me proud. How easy was it to suck in Old Leather Coat,eh?

23. Lem says:

I really think the only hope is for a Labor win at the next election

Wow. Still, that seems to be the bent of many posting here.

24. Habib says:

If we’re going to have big governmernt tax and spend rule-happy socialist retards running the place, why not the pros? These amateurs will take a while to really fuck things up, might as well kick on.

The Nats are gone as well, sold out for a few socialist slings, craven pricks.

25. Gab says:

Exactly. With Labor, you know what you’re getting.

26. Memoryvault says:

Wow. Still, that seems to be the bent of many posting here.

Okay Lem, let’s reverse this.
    Give us the benefit of your infinite wisdom.
    What should people do?

27. Snoopy says:

Little Joe, is dot the only one who doesn’t have to pay and pay? FFS give up your catamite before wifey wises up.

28. Gab says:

What’s the story with turnbull today kicking foreign buyers out of the country over residences?

29. A Lurker says:

Stymie the Socialists in the Senate is my advice.

30. Habib says:

Staples has been snorking on about this for weeks, apparently they didn’t pay sufficient slings to be allowed to invest in this dump. And they have the effrontery to label Labor as xenophobes. They’ve got 12 months to flog the place, or then it’ll be stolen. Whats the betting the addresses get loose so they become fire sales, and are snapped up by maaaates or proxies?

31. Gab says:

Mostly people from Singapore and China.

Ah, turnbull is now enforcing the White Australia Policy.

32. Snoopy says:

The last thing we is more people from Singapore. They’re not very keen on SSM apparently.

33. Snoopy says:

thing we need

34. Habib says:

Or welfare states, green ideology or littering. Nothing in common, unlike Middle Eastern migrants.

35. Lem says:

Okay Lem, let’s reverse this.
    Give us the benefit of your infinite wisdom.
    What should people do?

Too soon to tell. We still have to work through the Abbott grief and then we can move on, once the bad brain chemicals have stopped, and the frontal lobes get a chance to kick in.

We wait, Memoryvault.

36. Habib says:

What for, Godot? Everything else is pre-ordained.

37. mr skeletor says:

I notice Lem is running around telling everyone how they must vote but hasn’t addressed anything that his Lord and Master has done today.
    Any comment on the Parkinson rumor Lem?
    Nothing on the Subs in SA $$$?
    Nothing on $4b on NDS?
    Nothing on $2b for the Nats?

With fiscal conservatives like this who needs Labor.

38. Lem says:

Any comment on the Parkinson rumor Lem?
    Nothing on the Subs in SA $$$?
    Nothing on $4b on NDS?
    Nothing on $2b for the Nats?

With fiscal conservatives like this who needs Labor.

During the grieving process it is natural to use projection. However, if you carefully read all and everyone of my posts on this site I doubt you will find anywhere that I have told people how they must vote.

I’m happy to be corrected, but I’m feeling pretty confident.

39. Beef says:

We wait, Memoryvault

40. Beef says:

We wait, Memoryvault

The old Tony Abbott move. Do nothing and see what happens

41. Lem says:

Gnasher such a beautiful and profound movie, my favourite, and with so much to say about the behaviour of crowds.

42. egg_ says:

Lem your champion is a snake who has turned the libs into a slightly less profligate mirror of the ALP.

Peta Credlin – you betcha!

43. Lem says:

Indeed, Beef, so wisest was worth repeating.

44. Lem says:

Lol.

So wise it was worth repeating. Again and again and again.

45. Gab says:

I will never forget the day that you gave your press conference following your removal as Leader of the Labor Party by your colleagues. It is etched in my memory. It was one of the cruelest moments I have ever witnessed.

– malcolm turnbull, the hypocrite, on Rudd’s stabbing, 13/11/2013.

46. Raider580 says:

Sorry cant quite see what difference there would be between Shorten and Turnbull so not voting is thinkable.

47. Lem says:

malcolm turnbull, the hypocrite, on Rudd’s stabbing, 13/11/2013.

Yes, it could be an achilles heal for Turnbull. Except, Gillard didn’t knife Rudd by allowing the sitting PM Rudd to face his colleagues in caucus, she did it by handing him an ultimatum from the unelected Union movement.

So if you wish to use this example to undermine Turnbull, it might be best to workshop it a bit more.

48. Gab says:

Funny, that’s not how your man malcom ‘Big Spender’ turnball sees it , Lem.

49. Lem says:

I’m just waiting to see how long your anger lasts Gab. And when, or if your humility, if you possess any, will ever let you remove the ALP banner as your icon.

Because that is about the craziest thing I ever saw anyone who claimed they cared about keeping the CFMEU off the government benches do.

The trouble with taking immediate, gut wrenching, ad hominum screeching, emotional stances like you have done, is that you allow no room for yourself to nuance your position.
    I am sorry to see you do it.

50. egg_ says:

There rumours that Hockey will be made Communications Minister.

OMFG no!
    Cripes, we’ll we be stuck with a Staples and Palmersaurus split screen on Breakfast – it’ll take a 4K widescreen to fit them in!

51. Oh come on says:

Still wondering how on earth Turnbull rolling Abbott is any different from Gillard rolling Rudd. That was a catastrophe. This too has catastrophe written all over it.

Looking through that list of who voted for whom, by golly, what a lot of bullshit artists and ingrates in the Turnbull column! Denis Jensen – how many times has he heaped praise on Abbott since the first spill attempt about how Abbott’s a changed man, Mr Consultative yada yada yada? Bronwyn Bishop – Abbott stood by her for *weeks* longer than was advisable, and this is how she repays him? And Brandis, who should have got the arse when he was unable to prosecute the case for repealing 18C? Arthur Sinodinos … well, hardly surprising, but anyway.

52. Gab says:

Get a grip on yourself, Lem. Just because I disagree with you doens’t mean I’m angry.

I feel liberated actually becuase I know turnbull will fall into a great big heap and I’m going to enjoy watching Labor win the next election.

Happy days :0 :0 )

53. Lem says:

Let’s get this straight. Gillard rolled Rudd by going to his office then speaking to the Union masters, the handing Rudd an ultimatum, and he folded.

Turnbull rolled Abbott by taking him to the party room and having a vote (which Abbott consented to) of the members of parliament of the Liberal party.

Simples.

54. Clam Chowdah says:

No Steve. Screw Turnbull. Vote Greens.

55. Lem says:

Okay then Gab, you’ve had a conversion to the ALP on the road to damascus kind of event.

And you’re resolved. That’s great.

56. Gab says:

Turnbull sees no difference at all.

Lem – give it a rest. I said on here months ago I was never going to vote for Abbott.

57. Jeremy Steyer says:

Lem when will you understand?

There is but a cigarette paper between the likes of Turnbull and the ALP.

They all agree on the goals, they merely choose differing paths and tools.

A conservative voting informal or switching their vote to the ALP for an election is not an act of madness, but the only (mostly symbolic) act there is against leftist scum like Lord Malcolm.

58. Lem says:

Sure Lem, like whiteanting him with the ALPBC for 2 years & Lady Macbeth helping it along.

I’m pretty sure Abbott did a lot of white anting of himself with some of his disastrous decisions.You people should get over the change in leadership and let Abbott have a little bit of dignity. But by all means vote for Shorten or the Greens, it’s a free country.

59. Lem says:

The illogic burns.

60. Memoryvault says:

We wait, Memoryvault.

So, Lem. Nothing to offer but “vote Liberal”.
    Figured as much.

61. candy says:

I would at least think about voting Labor if they get rid of the Greens and become more normal towards the centre of things and let the TURC do its job and charges laid and got rid of T. Plibersek and the like and became more fiscally responsible.

First up they would have a leader with ethics and values – much like Tony Abbott. It’s nice to believe in someone. Big ask though. Informal more probably though.

62. mr skeletor says:

Correct me if I’m wrong, but wasn’t Lem against voting for the Libs when Tony Abbott was in charge?

63. Memoryvault says:

The illogic burns.

Yes. The logical thing to do is vote Liberal.
    We get the message Lem.
    We just disagree with it.

64. Lem says:

So, Lem. Nothing to offer but “vote Liberal”.
    Figured as much.

I don’t think I said that Memoryvault. I think I said “we wait”. That is code for “let’s see what happens”.

65. Habib says:

Nothing illogical about speeding up the inevitable economic and societal collapse, the sooner it happens, the sooner both parties will have to purge themselves of apparatchiks and timeservers, and adopt adult policies, or dissapear. Lord Wally of Wentworth might take a couple of terms to really fuck things up, Lighbulb Head or any of his likely replacements would do it licketty-split. Think of it as choosing surgery over chemotherapy. At current rates I may vote Labor/Greens for shits & giggles, then move to Un Zud to watch the fun.

66. Gab says:

Tell us, Lem. What is about turnbull’s policies that excites you so?

67. Slayer of Memes says:

mr skeletor (@7.57pm)

Don’t mention the war… 😉

68. Oh come on says:

Do you honestly believe the vast majority of voters are going to give a shit about – let alone be even remotely aware of – this distinction? Jesus wept.

69. Lem says:

No. Incorrect. I thought that Abbott was hopeless. Nice enough, but hopeless. But unlike many I realise I vote for my local MP, not in a presidential style election, and my local MP is good, and I always was going to vote for her.

However, there was a time when I was going to vote for the LDP in the senate, mainly because Brandis lied about 18c. Then DL refused to come out and vote in the senate with the Libs over the Dyson Heydon thing, and that offended my belief in the separation of politics and the legal system, so I ditched DL (you can check what I said).

I never backed Turnbull as alternative PM, and thought Morrison was a better alternative because of his demonstrated competence. Last week I thought Abbott did rather well (but then he wasn’t in the public eye much).

And here we are today. Just because I am trying to stop people racing away with immoderate language, I have been branded a Turnbull supporter.

In fact my position is, as I have stated above: too soon to tell.

70. Oh come on says:

I’d say most fair-minded people would baulk at rewarding traitors. No, I’m not voting for the Libs while Turnbull’s in charge. And yes, I’m preferencing the ALP above them.

71. Memoryvault says:

In fact my position is, as I have stated above: too soon to tell.

In other words, “we wait”. Wait for what, Lem?
    A sign from God? A new political party? The Clapham Omnibus?
    In case you haven’t noticed, the next general election is maybe less than twelve months away.

72. banz says:

@ Lem

Do rephrase that, try …”you wait” 🙂

Just saying.

How much was it today Lem…10 billion? 8 billion? 20????

Stop pulling the cart folks, get a leg on it.

73. mr skeletor says:

Fair enough Lem.
    Personally I don’t vote Lib just for the sake of it so we will have to disagree.

74. Prester John says:

What would be a good anti-Turbull slogan?

75. Habib says:

What would be a good anti-Turbull slogan?

Eat shit and die.

76. Oh come on says:

It seems that the LDP are very pissed off about the LP suing them over their party name. Pre-coup, I could countenance preferencing the ALP guy above the Lib guy as fair retaliation. Post-coup, I reckon the ALP should be preferenced over the coalition in any event, so it’s a moot point.

The DL abstention from the Senate vote over Dyson Heydon is regrettable and a different kettle of fish, regardless of what motivated this decision. Some things are simply worth taking a stand over, and TURC is one of them. I’m champing at the bit for the Turncoat experiment to unravel spectacularly – the sooner, the better. Nevertheless, if I were given the choice of seeing Turncoat tarred and feathered politically for the price of dumping TURC, I’d say no deal. TURC needs to run its course. DL not supporting it is a bad look.

77. Snoopy says:

Good anti Turnbull slogan?

Sorry. You fuck off.

/Japanese

78. candy says:

Nah. Revenge voting will be fun.

79. Lem says:

In other words, “we wait”. Wait for what, Lem?
    A sign from God? A new political party? The Clapham Omnibus?

Well, 12 months is a very long time in politics, Memoryvault. After all, it only took 48 hours for Gab to become born again ALP. Although I for one am willing to allow her this folly and welcome her back 🙂

Be patient. Let’s see. Who knows what will happen? For one thing Turnbull has a monster recession to navigate, headed right our way. And that will take a lot of explaining to the public, because as we all know governments don’t make anything better as a general rule, but we have a chance to stop them making it worse. if they are listening to us.

At the moment, the best thing anyone with the ear of government can do is keep it, if they want to help.

In the meantime improving the general tenor of abuse by restricting it to the incisive and witty IT would be better than allowing general infection by Reclaim Australia.

80. Combine Dave says:

Lot of talk on the ABC tonight.

Green energy industry believes Turnbull will be throwing them a few billion also.

81. egg_ says:

Good (anti) Turnbull slogan?

Do Credlin’s dresses fit you as well as they did Abbott?

82. Gab says:

Tell us, Lem. What is about turnbull’s policies that excites you so?

83. Lem says:

Nothing so far. It pretty uch seems to be the same as Abbott’s. It looks like he has just been signing off on Abbott government policy in the last 48 hours. I suppose we will see of there is any improvement in the fiscal reform attitude.
    So what is it about the potential Shorten government that caused your conversion, Gab?

84. Gab says:

So you don;t know what turnbull’s policies are, apart from following Abbott’s policies, I can only surmise then you like turnbull becuase he’s appears to be more popular. Because the PMship is apparently a popularity contest to you.

Are you a Labor voter? You sound like one. Welcome to the team!

85. Memoryvault says:

governments don’t make anything better as a general rule, but we
    have a chance to stop them making it worse. if they are listening to us.

How, Lem? By doing sweet FA?
    How do “we” stop the government from making things worse, if we “wait” and do nothing?
    Weekly prayer nights asking for Divine intervention?

You’re a walking, talking contradiction, Lem.
    If we “wait and do nothing”, nothing will happen.
    How does that morph into us “stopping” them from “making things worse”?

86. Lem says:

Keeping the ALP out of “government” is stopping “government” from making things worse. In the next 24 hours probably nothing of major import one way or the other will happen, so you could take a break from the panic.

Not undermining the coalition would possibly help, although I doubt very much that anyone is taking account of opinions expressed here when formulating their voting intentions.

But to tell you the truth MV the way I read the global economy and Australia’s general response to it,I doubt if you could directly do anything to sway things short of coming up with the next big Apple like industry.

In short, I’m resigned to the fact we’re f&cked, and the degree of economic pain we suffer will only be in degrees from bad to worse as you slide from coalition to ALP.

87. ian3029 says:

Is Lord Monckton Marty Feldman’s brother?

88. Rorschach says:

What would be a good anti-Turbull slogan?

Nessie and the freezer? … What was that? Strangled for words? Cat got your tongue?

89. Big Nana says:

Thanks Gab. My member actually supported Abbott so I regret not being able to vote for her at the next election. But if Turnbull is leader at election time I’m voting for any other party, preferably not ALP. As I said, the Sex Party is looking good right now but not sure if they even run a candidate up here. I agree that perhaps we need the ALP back in to really run the country right into the ground. Some people only learn the hard way.

90. Memoryvault says:

Keeping the ALP out of “government” is stopping
    “government” from making things worse.

So, at the end of the day, any corruption is acceptable, as long as the LNP stay in power.
    That about sum you up, Lem?
    Only Labor could make things worse, never our “saviours” in the LNP.

Your problem, Lem, is you’ve actually deluded yourself into thinking there’s a difference between the LNP and the ALP. To all intent and purpose, there isn’t.

91. 1234 says:

Ha, ha, ha. Bwaaaaaa! Suck it up Steve. Tony Abbott, worse PM ever, ever his colleagues agree 55 to 44. Ha, ha, ha.

92. 1234 says:

The idiot right, well represented on Catallaxy and by Steve Bwaaaaa Kates still don’t get it. Qld rejected the scorched earth economic and socisl policies of the LNP and the polls were showing the same happening nationally. Turnbull might save them. Your vision has been comprehensively rejected. Australians see the merits of a mixed economy and a degree of equality.

93. banz says:

@ numbers

shouldnt you be spending ya welfare cheque you utter parasite, go on, I dont giving you
    a couple of pennies in the dollar, just dont come near me xx

94. BorisG says:

What people have to understand is that Abbott represents an imperfect conservative streak while Turnbull an imperfect classical liberal. The fact that the vast majority of catallaxian prefer Abbott suggests that catallaxy has transformed from a libertarian blog into a conservative one. Actually arch-conservative if you read enough comments. Their support for buffoon Trump is a good indication of this.

Turnbull is indeed the closest thing we have to a classical liberal, as imperfect as he is. He is relatively economic conservative but socially liberal. Conservatives hate him because of he latter. But rather than focus on this issue, they invoke the loyalty issue, that Libs will lose next election etc etc. but the fact is the outcome of the next election depends on how he performs from now on, not how he got there. And suggestions that he is the same as ALP are just stupid. If your main issue is gay marriage then maybe. But if you really care about the economy there is a huge difference.

95. Vic in Prossy says:

We had Palaschuk praising him on tv tonight.

96. banz says:

Thats right Boris, perhaps they could support buffoon Cruze or Jeb instead? Which
    buffoon do you support Boris? Boris, what difference does it make, 18.3 trillion
    and counting.

We know what Turnbull is, read his CV posted here earlier, its quite a good read
    may I add, stuff like ETS and such, great for the economy!

Mind you Sinc is all for an ETS as well, funnily enough just like MT and
    guess what, both libertarians!!

You cant make this shit up 🙂

97. Leo G says:

Is Lord Monckton Marty Feldman’s brother?

No, the pair are related by exophthalmos, which is normally a hypothyryroid condition.

98. Lem says:

That about sum you up, Lem?

No I don’t think I mentioned corruption. Corruption is unacceptable.

99. Lem says:

You cant make this shit up 🙂

Oh I don’t know, bans, you’re having a pretty good stab at it.

100. banz says:

Why thank you Lem, after reading ya sage like “we wait” and keep the unions out of my
    bank account I kinda figured it was free for all xx

101. Combine Dave says:

Oh in the American sense of word?

Checks out.

102. Dubbxe says:

@SteveKates: Hear! Hear!
    Thinking Malcolm Turnbull is unthinkable.
    That The Australian wasn’t strong enough in support of Abbott in darker hours is unconsciounable.
    Having Labor, let alone either Bill, or Tanya as future leaders of Australia is simply untenable.
    Placing an electoral preference to an Independant is unimaginable.
    “Voting anything but Coalition at the next Federal Election remains unthinkable”.
    That there isn’t anyone of the calibre of John Howard (Mal Brough has been seen in the MT camp) in the ranks of the current crop is unbelievably unfortunate.

103. Lem says:

bank account I kinda figured it was free for all xx

Enjoy your melee.
    You're pretty harmless banging away on a keyboard.

104. Habib says:

Lord Leaky’s as much a classic liberal as I’m an gender undefined vegan homeopath pacifist.

105. banz says:

“Enjoy your melee.
    You’re pretty harmless banging away on a keyboard.”

Thank you Lem, peace and goodwill, thats me.

So are you by the way, just keep banging away at it Lem what
    else could you do 🙂

106. Dubbxe says:

@zulu kilo two alpha: It would seem apparent that Australia has compulsory voting, but the results are no longer set in concrete.

107. Rob says:

The group-thinkers dominating the ABC, Fairfax Media, the Canberra Press Gallery, the commentariat, and even The Australian, have successfully demolished Abbott and cleverly used the “wood duck” Turnbull as part of the process.
    Given that this same ugly army absolutely hate the Coalition partners, there can be no doubt that Turnbull is certain to be seen off the same way.
    The Australian media want us to have Labor back in charge and that’s what we will get.

108. Leo G says:

Quite wrong. There are a number of Catallaxy bloggers and commenters who prefer Turnbull. Moreover, I would describe Abbott as a casuist with conservative tendencies and not as a genuine conservative. Trump is only conservative in the sense the term is applied in U.S. politics to a neoliberal.

109. Infidel Tiger says:

Abbott got a harder time on this blog than anywhere else. Now he’s out of the way we can show him respect for the person that he is and we can now destroy the next interloper.

With good reason we hate all politicians. It’s an admirable trait and one I encourage.

110. Fisky says:

Turnbull an imperfect classical liberal

Most imperfect. He’s raised spending about $40 billion in two days.

111. Prester John says:

“What people have to understand is that Abbott represents an imperfect conservative streak while Turnbull an imperfect classical liberal.”

I didn’t get the message that Turnbull had changed into a classical liberal. I imagine he has always been the same as right now. Wearing a tie from the age of 5. Just a littler version of today’s Malcolm. Not even a smaller head. Just the body less large.

112. Mick Gold Coast QLD says:

From ian3029 at 8:59 pm:

“Is Lord Monckton Marty Feldman’s brother?”

I suppose it is not clear to the casual reader that Lord Monckton suffers a medical condition. An inquisitive and mature mind would swiftly discover the name and nature of the condition. It has been noted here before.

You, ian3029, reveal that you are neither mature nor inquisitive – quite the uneducated, ignorant fool really – but gees you’re funny, poking fun at him for it, eh?

113. BorisG says:

I didn’t get the message that Turnbull had changed into a classical liberal.

Most imperfect. He’s raised spending about $40 billion in two days.

I said imperfect. Actually the economic ideology of Turnbull. Where they really differ is on social policies. Turnbull is a social liberal whereas Abbott is moderately conservative. There is no black and white here, only some shades of grey, but the tendencies are clear.

and while we are at it, ALP is much worse than either of them but even they are not a disaster. ALP were in government for a large parts of the 20th century and there was no disaster.

114. ALP were in government for a large parts of the 20th century and there was no disaster.

Excuse me?

115. indigo says:

Malcolm Turnbull on Labor’s knifing of Prime Minister Kevin Rudd:

I will never forget the day that you gave your press conference following your removal as Leader of the Labor Party by your colleagues. It is etched in my memory. It was one of the cruellest moments I have ever witnessed. I had lost the leadership of my own party but, frankly, in a dispute about policy…

The betrayal of you as leader of your party was one of the most shocking events I have ever witnessed, and I would think any of us have ever witnessed, in politics—the scale of it. The idea that the man who had won, in this presidential campaign, an election against John Howard was then going to be disposed of, discarded like another course on a lazy Susan in a Vietnamese restaurant—the cruelty of it was extraordinary!

116. john constantine says:

The Australian media are transnational globalists first and formost.

The Australian media would prefer their greens to be in power to sign the last treaties handing executive authority over to worldwide totalitarian socialism, but they would accept leatherjacket doing the dirtywork, as long as their greens get to enforce the regulations and crush the final flicker of free spirit in the country.

117. ian3029 says:

exophthalmos, which is normally a hypothyryroid condition.

Thank you LeoG for your reply. I did not realise there was such a disease and how widespread it is. My question was in no way a denigration of Lord Monckton, for whom I have a lot of respect.

Mick
    I thank you for your unsolicited character assessment, but you can get stuffed.

118. Robert Crew says:

I was prepared to give Abbott the benefit of the doubt, even up to early on the night of the challenge, until I heard from multiple reliable sources in Canberra that he was threatening to pull all funding and support from any marginal seat MP who didn’t support him. Since I had already seen Abbott’s form on this in the 2013 election, when he pulled existing support and donations from a winnable seat when asked by a certain Senator, I said “Fuck him, he’s gone, and good riddance”, and that’s his epitaph as far as I am concerned.