Open Forum: March 31, 2018

1,634 Responses to Open Forum: March 31, 2018

1. Roger.

For all Aquinas’s brilliance he’s not necessarily always coherent.

I’m an Anglican (theology being my avocation), so I have no ax to grind here, but I can assure you Aquinas is one of the most coherent theologians in Christian history. I often disagree with him but there’s never any doubt what he means and how a particular locus fits into his thought as a whole. And the Blackfriars’ translation of the Summa is excellent – Latin and English on facing pages..

2. I hear you Dover but I have no reason to believe that the author is an accurate interpreter of Aquinas, or mediaeval thought.

He’s very good. His Aquinas: A Beginner’s Guide is well worth reading. But, I would recommend you read his The Last Superstition first. It is great reading.

dover_beach
    #2676113, posted on April 1, 2018 at 7:01 pm

Organizers like Rodrigo Abeja hope that the sheer size of the crowd will give immigration authorities and criminals pause before trying to stop them.

“If we all protect each other we’ll get through this together,” Abeja yelled through a loudspeaker on the morning they left Tapachula, on Mexico’s border with Guatemala, for the nearly monthlong trek.

Unbelievable. RTWT.

that’s all The Indonesians would have to do to invade OZ, turn up unarmed en masse.

May be different with the US, they can probably employ ten times as many border guards as ‘refugees’ invaders.

4. Roger.

Paine has a fractured thumb. What a wretched and horrid tour.

The way things are going in South Africa our next “tour” against them may be in Dubai.

5. Tel, run a ping test if and let me know if you’re getting the same thing as I. I tried Germany, Czech, Polish and UK servers and got connection issues. Same with LA and Chicago in USA. HK was OK, as was Moscow.

More overnight culture from our ‘noble, gentle’ people:

Constitutional recognition, and a Treaty with each of the “First Nations” will solve all those problems, though, surely?

7. Geriatric Mayfly

jupes
    #2675583, posted on April 1, 2018 at 12:00 am
    We could engineer Uranus into a star ship.
    The solar system would be better of without that brown and windy planet.
    LOL Arky.

Been out all day but could not let this pass. Freckle whitening is now in vogue among those for whom cosmetic dibs and dabs are matters of great import. Expect the procedure to appear as Item No 58456 on the list of things taxpayers award money to medicos for their services.

Total number of memcached servers globally

There are over 93,000 memcached servers listening on port 11211 all over the world, allowing attackers to choose from a variety of servers and avoid having their IP blacklisted.

That’s almost 100k complete and certified network morons who connect a machine DESIGNED TO HAVE NO SECURITY to an open internet connection (yes, that includes at least some Australians).

9. Frank

That David Hoggindividual bears a striking and unnerving resemblance to Christian Bale’s character Patrick Bateman of American Psycho.

10. DrBeauGan

Tiangong I has had a second shot at Tasmania and missed. It’s still high up, 170 km. It’s got at least half a dozen orbits left I judge.

11. Tracey

Mother Lode, just saw your post. I switched from NRMA to Suncorp. I’ve had all my policies with NRMA for a number of years. Despite multi-policy discounts and no-claim bonus the exact same policy (same Excess, Agreed Value and Extras [windscreen and car hire]) I saved $210. I’m in the process of shifting all my policies. NRMA can jam it.

12. John Constantine

Once Big Australia has reformed the polity, it will be vote winning to do Wealth Reform and use the legacy superannuation and wealth of racist deplorable settler Australia to do free education into the thought of Stalin for new imported low super balance Australia.

Comrades.

Tel, run a ping test if and let me know if you’re getting the same thing as I.

I tried this one…

Put in some Australian address like the Telstra website. Results for me were a bit slow, but could be worse. I’m too lazy to collect long term statistics, probably should do. Local pings inside Australia seem normal to me (I only visit half a dozen places).

14. Nick

Same

dover_beach

#2676087, posted on April 1, 2018 at 6:01 pm

Ed Feser on ‘No hell, no heaven’:

I thought there was a Limbo for the undecided ones. Everyone got a second chance. Inferno by Larry Niven dealt with the issue in an amusing way.

16. Ƶĩppʯ (ȊꞪꞨV)

Russia lashing out. It’s all that failed state full of whores and drinks has left.

ukraine is russia’s whorehouse.

17. Geriatric Mayfly

And why do Cruise Directors and their assistants all screech at the top of their lungs?

Hi-De-Hi! is a rallying call. Ignore at your peril.

18. Dr Faustus

Latest Chinese prediction is Monday mid-morning (AEST). Give or take a bit.
    There’s still a chance for Tasmania – or, dare I hope, Adelaide.

19. dopey

Just got dark an hour early. What’s going on?

20. Rae

I’m an Anglican (theology being my avocation), so I have no ax to grind here

Of course you are, Roger. And no axe to grind. Who would believe otherwise?

21. John Constantine

How much will it take to crowd fund China to drop a space station that can hit Canberra while parliament is in session?.

22. Tel, yes, Ping on Australian servers is fine but Euro or US servers are hit and miss since last night.

23. Dr Faustus

Just got dark an hour early. What’s going on?

Even the Sun is grieving for the Warner kiddies.

Just got dark an hour early. What’s going on?

Chinese space junk. What can’t it do?

dover_beach
    #2676144, posted on April 1, 2018 at 7:50 pm

EU servers ten times slower than Aussie servers at the moment.

That David Hogg individual bears a striking and unnerving resemblance to Christian Bale’s character Patrick Bateman of American Psycho

He does doesn’t he; he really is a creepy kid; a future demorat leader in the making.

27. Muddy

From Zippy’s link above:

Shahzad Masih, 26, and Shama Shahzad, 24, brick factory workers and parents of three, were burned alive in an industrial kiln by a mob incited by accusations that the couple desecrated the Qu’ran in the town of Kot Radha Kishan.

Police arrested scores of villagers and a court in November 2016 sentenced five men to death while ten others were given varying jail terms.

Prosecutor Abdur Rauf says the court Saturday acquitted twenty suspects indicted in the case at a later stage….

Burning people alive in kilns. Yes, that’s what humans do.

Beautiful moon tonight. Perhaps we’ll see it float across the surface like ET on a pushbike.

29. herodotus

I personally can’t stand McCain, but if he stays out of politics, he deserves a quiet and dignified death

He should have stayed out of politics from about 2015, or earlier. He didn’t. No sympathy.

Mark A
    #2676148, posted on April 1, 2018 at 7:54 pm
    EU servers ten times slower than Aussie servers at the moment.

Opps, I meant accessing them not that they are the culprit.

31. herodotus

Looks like the Great Pumpkin form here, Calli. Impressive.

32. Marcus

Whatever else comes out of this tour, Tim Paine and Pat Cummins can hold their heads high at the end of it. They’re showing true fight right now.

33. Harlequin Decline

I was in the UK 1981 when the Guardian( of all papers) published an April 1 expose on how British scientists had learned how to control the weather. Plans were for a tropical climate in the UK, rainfall only at night and, for the Continent-whatever the Poms decided to allow. It was well done with accompanying articles and an advert for a Head Keeper for a Kent Toucan Park.

34. DrBeauGan

John Constantine
    #2676143, posted on April 1, 2018 at 7:49 pm

It might be cheaper to bribe the norks to nuke it. They need the money more.

35. I thought there was a Limbo for the undecided ones.

36. herodotus

The climate alarmists do that all the time now. It’s just a big thermostat that they can adjust by screwing you.

37. Dr Faustus

It might be cheaper to bribe the norks to nuke it. They need the money more.

Slip one into the basement as a trial of the BoN Interstellar B Ark concept.
    There will probably be a Commonwealth Research Grant for that.

38. herodotus

It’s just a big thermostat that they can adjust by screwing you.

Sorry, that should read ” … by totally fucking up all advanced nations.”

39. Baldrick

No wonder the Troll is agitated.

40. EU servers ten times slower than Aussie servers at the moment.

That’s about right most times, but I’m even having trouble connecting to them at all. A cable maybe down, or it might be something more local.

41. DrBeauGan

So, if conception occurs and a soul is allocated ant the foetus spontaneously aborts, the soul goes straight to hell? Hell must be crowded with such souls, since spontaneous abortion runs around 50% of all conceptions, I gather.

I thought there was a Limbo for the undecided ones.

Bit hard on the little ones who are unbaptised. Every time I think favourably about Christianity those sorts of things turn up.

43. DrBeauGan

Dr Faustus
    #2676160, posted on April 1, 2018 at 8:09 pm
    It might be cheaper to bribe the norks to nuke it. They need the money more.

Slip one into the basement as a trial of the BoN Interstellar B Ark concept.
    There will probably be a Commonwealth Research Grant for that.

This sounds rather like a modern version of what got Guy Fawkes so well known that the poms celebrate a good attempt every fifth of November.

44. None

Roger, Dover thank you. I will look into those later. I actually have to decipher something from Scotus at the moment which is mind-numbingly eye-glazingly tedious even with the firm but gentle guiding hand of commentators like Wolter O. F. M. I will return to your suggestions on Aquinas later. Still, I doubt there is much need these days for answers to questions like can disembodied souls remember anything? The fact that the Medieval Latins spent centuries debating each other on such questions (kind of more derivative thand debate) suggests to me none of them really had THE answer to such earth-shattering irrelevancies. Don’t get me wrong, I don’t have any beef against Catholics or Catholic thought as a whole but the Scolastics do make me want to stab a fork into my eye. Anyway that little excerpt on the metaphysics of damnation failed to convince me. Life continues.

45. Rae

Some do. The best don’t. Joff Eaton doesn’t, and he is arguably the best Cruise Director there is. We have been lucky enough to enjoy his talent as Cruise Director on Ovation of the Seas twice now, most recently earlier this year. Hopefully he will still be Ovations Cruise Director when we are next on her at the end of this year.

It is because we are corporeal that Christ can save us. But he can do so only while we are still in the flesh. Upon death, the soul is divorced from the body and thus, like an angel, becomes locked on to a basic orientation toward either good or evil. If it is not saved before death, it cannot be saved. It’s game over.

47. Nemkat;

In both cases, you’d be given an on the spot fine, and moved on?
    You don’t like Aborigines, do you, Winston?

You don’t know me very well, do you Nemkat?

cohenite
    #2676165, posted on April 1, 2018 at 8:13 pm

I thought there was a Limbo for the undecided ones.

I think this is still an unresolved issue, at least as far as I know.

49. herodotus

Today, “atheism” means something entirely different from a simple lack of belief in God. What atheism has become can be more accurately described as “the anti-Christian movement.” It is a movement that assumes that Christianity isn’t merely naïve and false, but a major cause of social ills, something worth the effort to actively ferret out and purge from our society. This anti-Christian crusade has been both supported by, and a natural outgrowth of, the much larger program of cultural Marxism.

50. Peter Castieau

Do any Cats with an interest in GST distributions have any thoughts on what a conservative policy on the issue might look like?

I’ve been doing some work over the weekend and was just trying to finish things off.

Any feedback most appreciated.

51. Not at all:

Since the Fathers of the Church (early great theologians who defined fundamental doctrines) were certain that Baptism is necessary for entrance into heaven, and yet no one is punished who has not personally sinned (children before the age of reason not being responsible for any wrongdoing), there must be a place between heaven and hell where these children go. They came up with the Latin term limbus, i.e., hem or border, for the outskirts of hell. Some Fathers regarded this as a place of mild suffering, though later theologians (e.g., St. Thomas Aquinas) believed it was place of natural happiness, short of the supernatural happiness enjoyed by those in heaven.

And, anyway, it isn’t even a dogma of the Church.

52. Snoopy

Will Pope Che sell out the Chinese church to the communists?

Is the Pope a Catholic?

53. John Constantine

If their turnbullites can organise a nuclear strike on Canberra while the true believers are in Paris signing a capitulation to somebody, that might give them a bit of martial law time to keep running the place into the ground.

What a brilliant idea Julie Bishop.

WA dudded on GST once more
    Joe Spagnolo | PerthNow
    April 1, 2018 1:54PM
    Topics
    WA News

WESTERN Australia has been dudded again.

Ending weeks of speculation, Treasurer Scott Morrison and the Commonwealth Grants Commission will this week announce that WA’s GST take for 2018-19 will be about 46¢ in the dollar — while other States, such as Tasmania and South Australia, will continue to receive more than $1.

While better than WA’s 34¢ GST take this financial year, the lowly figure means Premier Mark McGowan will come under renewed pressure to raise taxes in the May Budget, with the State Government considering a new levy on developers to help pay for rail lines and stations.

WA Treasurer Ben Wyatt said Treasury had budgeted to receive 45¢ for every GST dollar it sent to Canberra.

He said even a slight improvement on that figure was “no reason to celebrate”.

“It (WA’s GST take) still remains disgracefully small,” Mr Wyatt said.
    Mark McGowan says he will continue to push for a fairer deal.

While a review of the flawed GST distribution model will be completed by May 15, neither Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull nor Federal Labor leader Bill Shorten have shown appetite for reform.

WA Liberal Federal ministers have so far remained mostly quiet on the issue but yesterday WA Liberal Senator Dean Smith fired a salvo.

“The release of the latest GST relativity of less than 50¢ in the dollar is further proof the current GST formula penalises WA families and businesses,” he said.

“The final report released next month will be a critical next step in finding a solution to the unfair GST distribution system.”

Any conservative policy on the G.S.T. will have to be better then the existing circus.

55. Snoopy

Peter Castieau
    #2676173, posted on April 1, 2018 at 8:20 pm

You go first.

56. None

The Vatican version of Limbo http://www.vatican.va/roman_curia/congregations/cfaith/cti_documents/rc_con_cfaith_doc_20070419_un-baptised-infants_en.html
    As in we used to talk about it once but not anymore. My Scholastic question to Catholics has always been, what happened to those Catholics who read all those forbidden books on the index?

57. Baldrick

What are the odds?

Rae
    #2676168, posted on April 1, 2018 at 8:16 pm

______

Grigory M
    #2177658, posted on October 19, 2016 at 11:16pm
    The wife of Grigory M and her husband are just 5 weeks away from a three week break which includes a cruise on Ovation of the Seas. Their exercise regimen has been increased in anticipation of the food to be enjoyed at every one of the ship’s dining venues.

58. Arky

egg_
    #2675781, posted on April 1, 2018 at 10:59 am
    in the face of all reality,

91 kg lean body mass when cycling 400-500 km/week.
    Frasier/Tyson build.
    What’s Arky’s nominated hero’s?
    Happy to join a Melbourne soiree, champ.

What have I done now?
    Are Egg and I going to have a punch up?
    Errrr. Ok. But to be honest my hearts not really in it.
    Can’t we all just get along?
    I already had some road rage shit this arvo. Bloody Easter. I should know better than to venture out of the house on an Easter weekend.

Slip one into the basement as a trial of the BoN Interstellar B Ark concept.

No, just start up the engines of Canberra’s existing spacehip.

60. nemkat

Winston Smith, at 8:17 pm
    Nemkat;
    In both cases, you’d be given an on the spot fine, and moved on?
    You don’t like Aborigines, do you, Winston?

You don’t know me very well, do you Nemkat?
    Never met you, Winston.
    So, are you saying that you really like Aborigines?

On the babies question, a better answer might be found in the character of Christ. In your reading of the Gospels, is there anything there to suggest He would reject a helpless child?

Heaven is a huge place. There’s plenty of room there for the innocent. It’s something I choose to trust the great and merciful Saviour with.

62. Ƶĩppʯ (ȊꞪꞨV)

What are the odds?

he really is a dumb shit isn’t he

63. Ƶĩppʯ (ȊꞪꞨV)

angels.head.pin.

What are the odds?

I’m surprised that the cruise company accepted a second booking – one experience of Grogarly and his sock drawer would have been enough, surely?

65. Drink-Up Socrates

Continuing the Mazda theme. I bought my (rather nice) CX-5 in 2014; before Hyundai shamed Mazda into offering decent warranty and after sales service.
    The CX-5 comes with the Fourth Reich’s nonsense I-Stop engine shut-down technology. It apparently adds 5% to the cost of the car and because I live in the bush and never stop at traffic lights; saves me nothing.
    I ignore Mazda’s 10,000 km servicing schedule – it’s the 2000’s guys, my 1970’s heaps of shyte had a 20,000 km schedule!
    The I-Stop fail light had been flashing for about 10,000 k’s when I decided to drive to town and drop it in for a service. The engineering lady in charge of Servicing looked as if she was going to report me to Pope Frank when I told her I had no idea what service was due. “Just change the oil and check the bits”.
    She soon phoned and announced that the battery was failing which caused the I-Stop to fail and I could have a new battery for the discount price of $560.00. Told her that there was nothing wrong with the battery – her fascist system was at fault.
    Checked the battery – 5% down – no deal at all.
    Searched the web for clues and found oceans of millennials agreeing with everything that God Mazda told them to comply with and attacking anyone who suggested that it was all a scam.
    Found an American site (no I-Stop in the US because it cannot comply with EPA environmental purity regulations). They disclosed how to shut-down I-Stop. “Warning you will lose your warranty”.
    What fur can warranty.
    Armed with new-found knowledge I was intending to launch into the truck when the I-Stop stopped working all by itself – like terminally stopped.
    Rang Servicing Doll and asked – “Can your diagnostics determine whether I-Stop is faulty rather than the battery being down”. “No, but it is always the battery”.
    “But the warning lights have disappeared, that can’t be battery”!
    “Bring the car in please”.
    “No, I’m seeding”. “You can come and get it, or I can ask the guys and dolls from ‘Land’ to come around for a Barbie”.
    Love being a prick, but I have always loved Mazda products until they started bowing to the Krauts. From now, it is all Hyundai.

66. struth

How are we going with the “spy scandal” and other stories besides some f/wit cricket children and their spotlight chasing wives?

67. Peter Castieau

In answer to Snoopy

Each state receive 100% of GST raised back.

Abolish the Commonwealth Grants Commission CGC

Abolish the formula of Horizontal Fiscal Equalisation HFE

Possibly return income tax revenues back to the States and massive possibilities of huge reduction in federal/state duplication

does the aborting fetus turn into a an adult as well?

I don’t know, Zippy. There may be an element of fulfilled potential there. Jesus says “Behold, I make all things new” (Rev 21). Restoration of brokenness would fit into “all things”.

69. jupes

Paine has a fractured thumb.

But still batting.

This pair have put on (almost) as much as the top six!

70. Lizzie;

Like Calli, I went for my morning health walk. Up to the ocean lookout at The Gap and then down the hill to Gap Park via a small hardly known pathway through densely overhanging hillside bush land and scrub.

Probably not a good idea to let on such detail. We’ve had stalkers here before, and you would be easily identifiable by your blonde hair and ‘diamond encrusted, perky tits’.
    😱

71. For Cohenite. In the Mormon Church, converts or children of record are not baptised until they are 8 years old. Eight being regarded as accountable.
    Incidentally we have just had a muslim convert to our ward ( congregation ). Introduced to the Church by a Jewish convert .

72. Arky

I remember walking around Melbourne university in 1993, and realising I was going to have a daughter.
    Can’t explain how, but I just knew. It was a feeling of complete certainty.
    I met my missus in 1996. Years into it her doctor told us she would not be able to have children.
    Our one and only daughter arrived in 2012. A complete surprise and miracle.
    Except I had always known she was out there.

73. jupes

Reading upthread the two trolls/socks have got everyone going this arvo.

Why bother with the fuckwit?

74. jupes

Hey areff, you still here?

If so how did the Dogs go this arvo?

75. Muddy

John Constantine
    #2676143, posted on April 1, 2018 at 7:49 pm

They’d have to be able to warn their people inside the building first. Though I guess it might be ‘easy come, easy go.’

76. nemkat

Don’t be so hard on yourself, jupes.
    And stop referring to yourself in the Third Person.

Socrates, you are not alone! My CX3 was due for a service late last year. Wasn’t remotely close to the mileage. Lately, The Beloved has been receiving ominous emails first requesting, then demanding that the car be brought in. Last one was about voiding warranty, which is a bit of a stretch.

The servicing charges are diabolical of course. But not nearly as evil as VDub’s.

78. Infidel Tiger

Pat Cummins is a star. You can build a team around this bloke.

Movie star good looks too.

79. I’m not sure the Church has pronounced dogmatically on this question. There are ‘universal salvation’ proponents even in the Church. The author’s emphatic thinking on the subject (“It’s game over”) I regard with suspicion. There is, for example, such a thing in Catholic theology as baptismus flaminis (the baptism of desire). It also seems to ignore the fact that Christians pray for those who have died, beseeching God to forgive them for their failings (which may include their invincible or even their cultivated ignorance). Something of a mystery, then. Hope and pray and live for your own salvation and don’t presume to tell God how much – or whether – he pays workers hired late to the field.

I will pass this on and see what he says.

80. Elizabeth (Lizzie) Beare

😱

Yikes, Winston. You are right. I’ve always thought that these were generally much frequented areas and thus safe and hard to identify me. Most of my walks are like that, but some parts are not. OK. I’ll stick to the streets from now on and only walk when with Hairy in lonely bush land areas. He can improve his health too and we’ll go earlier before his work. I guess though that caution applies to all women walking in slightly lonely spots these days. Sad, really. Maybe I’ll talk to Hairy about a scream alarm too; there are always people somewhere nearby in houses.

81. struth

Having a laugh with my father at the moment.

He was watching a black fella footy player spitting on the ground.

Geesus, there’s no need for that black prick to spit like that, says he.

Listen to you, you old racist, says I, it’s his land.

It’s our lawn , says he.
    He always thinks outside the square.

82. John Constantine

The chicoms have only invested petty cash and a few meals in buying the two dollar shop Aussie politicians in their pockets already.

The next batch will be even cheaper.

83. DrBeauGan

calli
    #2676185, posted on April 1, 2018 at 8:32 pm

That’s an answer I can understand, Calli. The theological arguments are just hot air in comparison.

84. Ƶĩppʯ (ȊꞪꞨV)

<blockquote easily identifiable by your blonde hair and ‘diamond encrusted, perky tits’.

today’s perky tits are brought to you by Amy Mills hailing from …. Australia.

85. does the aborting fetus turn into a an adult as well? life is going to be pretty dull as an unformed human for eternity. oceans of fetuses sounds a bit scary…

Possibly an aadvark, oceans of aadvarks.

86. H B Bear

Until Mother is finished no Kittehs are safe.

87. Ƶĩppʯ (ȊꞪꞨV)

blockquote fail

88. Nemkat,

Never met you, Winston.
    So, are you saying that you really like Aborigines?

Anyone who says ‘are you really saying…’ after the Peterson interview, is a fool.

89. Ƶĩppʯ (ȊꞪꞨV)

Possibly an aadvark, oceans of aadvarks.

aren’t only humans supposed to have souls…

90. Arky

I think we can settle this soul thing here and now.
    Hands up all cats who have no soul.
    Lets have a head count.
    Look deep inside yourself and out yourselves as souless creatures.

91. Muddy

It’s our lawn , says he.

Squatter’s rights?
    We’ve substantially improved what we found, haven’t we?

Warriors my pale feckin’ arse. Caving in the skull of a woman with a rock doesn’t make you a man, and without being a man, you cannot claim to be a warrior.
    There were no ‘warriors.’ It’s just another myth to assuage their shame and guilt at having had ancestors who were so pissweak.

92. struth

Thanks Zippy, I’ve always enjoyed your work.

93. Arky

I will make a list.
    I take it Zippy you would claim to have no soul?

94. Confused Old Misfit

I don’t know if any one will give a damn but look what they’ve done to Australia.

95. None

Your dad’s a keeper, struth.

96. H B Bear

Custard – health and education back to the States with income taxing power to pay for them. Starve Canberra of every possible dollar.

97. aren’t only humans supposed to have souls…

98. Elizabeth (Lizzie) Beare

And a gun.
    I quite fancy myself as a shot. 😀

Hmm. Thanks again, Winston. There is someone out to get me right now, I’ve had some silly threats and police have been informed, but I have not really thought much about protection (AVO was fairly useless last time), although the situation has made me a bit sleepless. When this happened once before Hairy wanted to get me a bodyguard, which I thought OTT, and the person was soon apprehended. I might be getting blasé though and have not fully disclosed some of the threatening emails to Hairy. Don’t want to stir him up again. Both cases involve mentally ill people associated with family members – last time it wasn’t so much the mentally ill one who was worrying but the supporter type also escaped from a locked ward who had a history of violence. There was a child involved and I was protecting the child.

Hah! And all this walking out is supposed to be assisting my blood pressure. !!!!

99. Infidel Tiger

Remember Tomix? I loved that guy.

His bayonet story was an all time Catallaxy best.

100. H B Bear

GST – per capita distribution. Full stop.

101. None

*raises hand sheepishly*
    *cringes*

Arky
    #2676218, posted on April 1, 2018 at 9:01 pm

Soulful!

BTW DST ended. EST now. Cat hour fast.

104. None

aren’t only humans supposed to have souls

My shoes have soles.
    *boom tish*

105. Delta A

Arky
    #2676197, posted on April 1, 2018 at 8:41 pm

Nice post, Arky.

106. Arky

Too slow.
    I will start making the souless list and you will have to ask politely for you name to be removed if you so wish:
    Zippy.
    Tigger.
    None, trust me, you have a soul.

107. Calli;

Calli, I take the 2002 Patrol in for a service every year whether it needs it or not. I have a grease gun that I use on every grease nipple I can find. (Mind you, I haven’t found one yet. Are there any?)
    She’s got 230,000k on the clock and just keeps going since she was told after two fuel injector replacements that cost half as much as I paid for her.
    Perhaps that put the Fear of Tip into her.

Feser might object that I go – or, rather, allow that somebody else may licitly go – beyond Gaudium et Spes (22) and Lumen Gentium (15). Viz:

All this [regarding salvation] holds true not only for Christians, but for all men of good will in whose hearts grace works in an unseen way. For, since Christ died for all men, and since the ultimate vocation of man is in fact one, and divine, we ought to believe that the Holy Spirit in a manner known only to God offers to every man the possibility of being associated with this paschal mystery.

Such is the mystery of man, and it is a great one, as seen by believers in the light of Christian revelation. Through Christ and in Christ, the riddles of sorrow and death grow meaningful. Apart from His Gospel, they overwhelm us. Christ has risen, destroying death by His death; He has lavished life upon us so that, as sons in the Son, we can cry out in the Spirit; Abba, Father.

(GS 22).
    —————————————————
    Those also can attain to salvation who through no fault of their own do not know the Gospel of Christ or His Church, yet sincerely seek God and moved by grace strive by their deeds to do His will as it is known to them through the dictates of conscience.

(LG 15).

I don’t believe I do. I think he is erring on the side of an unreconstructed, undeveloped understanding of extra ecclesiam, nulla salus. I think from a pastoral, pedagogical point of view, great care has to be taken between his emphatic doctrine and universalist relativism. I think LG and GS do this very well.

109. Muddy

Apparently Hillary Clinton is writing a follow-up to her best-selling What Happened?
    The draft title is Where Am I?

BTW DST ended. EST now. Cat hour fast.

That’s one thing I don’t miss, living in Western Australia. Gen Snowflake climbs on their hind legs and whines that they haven’t had their say about daylight saving, and are reminded that daylight saving has been trialed three times, and rejected at referendum four times.

111. Ƶĩppʯ (ȊꞪꞨV)

aren’t only humans supposed to have souls…

insects? nematodes? tardigrades? amoebas? Protozoa?

112. Eddystone

Infidel Tiger

#2676228, posted on April 1, 2018 at 9:05 pm

Remember Tomix? I loved that guy.

His bayonet story was an all time Catallaxy best.

I remember a (probably) drug induced load of incomprehensibility spewed onto the cat by Peter Patton a few years ago.

I wonder what happened to him?

I think we all miss Number’s considered commentary too.

113. DrBeauGan

Arky
    #2676218, posted on April 1, 2018 at 9:01 pm
    I think we can settle this soul thing here and now.
    Hands up all cats who have no soul.
    Lets have a head count.
    Look deep inside yourself and out yourselves as souless creatures.

I don’t have one, Arky. I tried to sell mine when I was a teenager and nobody turned up to make the deal. So either Satan doesn’t exist or my soul doesn’t.

114. jupes

His bayonet story was an all time Catallaxy best.

Link?

I love bayonet stories.

115. Atoms for Peace

In cases of the unknowable, let God be God. Something I read once.

His bayonet story was an all time Catallaxy best.

Remind me.

117. Arky

Souless:
    Zippy.
    Tigger.
    Dr.BG.

118. Zippy;

today’s perky tits are brought to you by Amy Mills hailing from …. Australia.

Heavens, Zippy.
    She’s g.o.r.g.e.o.u.s.
    I had to turn it off in case I disgraced myself…

119. Rae

Snorting condoms

Let us know how you go with it, Fatso. Might be a good idea to wash them first. That lubricant straight out of the wrapper will play hell with your sinuses.

120. None

Apparently Hillary Clinton is writing a follow-up to her best-selling What Happened?
    The draft title is Where Am I?

It should be: Handouts for hand ups: How I tripped around the world and duped people.

121. DrBeauGan

Ƶĩppʯ (ȊꞪꞨV)
    #2676242, posted on April 1, 2018 at 9:15 pm
    aren’t only humans supposed to have souls…

insects? nematodes? tardigrades? amoebas? Protozoa?

Houses? Bricks? Electrons?

122. Arky;

I think we can settle this soul thing here and now.
    Hands up all cats who have no soul.
    Lets have a head count.
    Look deep inside yourself and out yourselves as souless creatures.

I have a soul – an rsole.
    But I can’t look deep into myself because I am not a proctologist.

(this is the sort of reply you were waiting for, wasn’t it?)

123. Muddy

OK, so this is a bit old (August 2017), but the sue of language is revealing, and I love the myth-making and delusion, which I have helpfully bolded for the benefit of the allegedly-soulless:

In 1996, Pauline Hanson gave a speech that changed Australia. Targeting Asian and Indigenous people and foreign aid, Hanson unleashed a Pandora’s box of division on the country [yeah, cuz we wuz so harmonius prior to that]. When she famously lost her federal seat in 1998, her political downfall seemed assured – but she stayed firmly in the spotlight, whether she was being locked up for electoral fraud [ummmmm] or jiving on Dancing with the Stars. Now, after almost two decades in the political wilderness, Hanson is back in the Senate and more powerful than ever.

Before One Nation’s astonishingly successful return to Australian politics in 2016, multi-award-winning filmmaker Anna Broinowski had complete access to Hanson and her ‘Fed Up’ election campaign. Broinowski followed Hanson as she flew from Rockhampton to Sydney to Great Keppel Island and beyond in her Jabiru two-seater. The absurdity, the discord and the hatred Hanson attracts and inflames [‘from otherwise compassionate, harmonious people’] were all on show – sometimes funny, sometimes frightening, and often surreal.

At the time, no one [who actually mattered] was taking Pauline Hanson and One Nation’s political chances seriously, but Broinowski quickly realised [oooh, how wise!] that there was a movement forming. Pauline Hanson’s explosive political journey mirrors Australia’s own- from left-leaning multiculturalism, to the divided landscape we live in now [so we were ALL left-leaning and ‘yay for multipeople?’]. And, alongside the shocks of Brexit and Trump’s presidency, Hanson’s resurrection reflects a broader global trend towards outrageous far-right outsiders.

Please Explain is a compelling, intimate look at how an Ipswich fish and chip shop lady changed our nation – and how (whether we [the only people who matter, not the skanks under our feet] like it or not) she speaks directly to Australian society and our multicultural identity today.

124. Roger.

Roger, Dover thank you. I will look into those later.

None, for a helpful overview of Aquinas see Fr. Coplestone’s book published by Penguin/Pelican back in the ’70s, iirc. Probably out of print now but well worth chasing down and can probably be gotten cheaply. Places Aquinas in his Aristotelian setting and shows the unity of his thought.

In the 17th C. – the high point of magisterial Protestant theology, Anglican, Lutheran & Reformed – Aquinas was more often than not the preferred interlocutor for Protestant theologians (and they were more than happy to quote him positively when he got it right). That’s because he defined Roman theology – the synthesis of the Patristic tradition with Aristotelianism – in the most coherent way possible, which the Roman magisterium subsequently acknowledged by making him the official theologian of Roman Catholicism.

125. None

That lubricant straight out of the wrapper will play hell with your sinuses.

Speaking from experience, Rae?

I think we all miss Number’s considered commentary too.

“Numbers” versus “Popular Front” at ten paces, was usually good for a laugh.

127. Ƶĩppʯ (ȊꞪꞨV)

I take it Zippy you would claim to have no soul?

I cannot in all honesty make any claim to such a thing as a soul

128. Roger.

None, don’t feed the troll!

129. Muddy

USE of language. Bugger it.
    I made that mistake on purpose of coarse.

130. Arky

I have a soul – an rsole.

That crack gets you chalked up on the soulless list.
    Enjoy an eternity of oblivion you mechanistic abomination:
    Zippy.
    Tigger.
    Dr. G
    Winston.

131. DrBeauGan

That crack gets you chalked up on the soulless list.
    Enjoy an eternity of oblivion you mechanistic abomination:

Enjoy an eternity in the company of little old ladies in felt hats, Arky. I’d much prefer oblivion.

132. Arky

Damn it.
    Some of my favourite commenters have no souls.
    Never mind. Plow on. Come on, hands up you lot. Who is just going through the motions of being fully human? Own up. Out yourselves. All you information tech heads for a start off.

133. None

Coplestone’s book is still in print, Roger. Thanks. Err sorry about the troll.

134. John Constantine

The Gnostics and the Cathars and assorted heretics [ men, women and children] seem in for an eternity of torment without relief,

Makes you sorta hope that all those Rastafarians, if they aren’t going to make it to heaven, at least get to park themselves in budding fields of religious herbs for eternity.

Poor old Mormons put all that work in for nothing.

135. Gab

Not that I’ve not seen this written anywhere. I very much doubt it to be the case.

I am reminded of John14:2

In my Father’s house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.

But then, I’m no theologian.

136. Arky

They get reanimated as smoking hot perky titted twenty-somethings.

Unpaid university loans could still be chased even after you DIE: Politicians push for education debts to be repaid using money from deceased estates

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5566713/Politicians-push-education-debts-repaid-using-money-deceased-estates.html#ixzz5BPri7Ikq
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

138. Feser might object that I go – or, rather, allow that somebody else may licitly go – beyond Gaudium et Spes (22) and Lumen Gentium (15).

We may find out. Nevertheless, since the question has received no definitive answer we can reason through the matter hopefully but cautiously.

139. Lizzie;

We have drugs for that now Lizzie. Stop worrying – it’s the worry that puts your BP up, nothing else.*
    *Medical advice from Sister Winston should always be taken with a line of coke and a bottle of fiiine wiiine.)
    Have another Cup of Coffee.

140. Infidel Tiger

I am reminded of John14:2

That was part of the reading at my mum’s funeral.

141. Steve trickler.

Not a cell phone in sight. Just an observation.

One of the great walks down a street in downtown suburbia. A snapshot in time. It’s probably worse today.

142. John Constantine

Rowan Atkinson with the short version of the afterlife with subtitles.

143. John Constantine

Long version from the old days, Rowan Atkinson unedited on the afterlife.

Are there Calli-like angels to prepare the garden and Gab-like angels to bring some cushions?
    That is the question. 🙂

145. DrBeauGan

This may or may not be orthodox theology, Gab, but my maternal grandmother believed it. She insisted I be baptised in the Catholic church on my third day of life, the alternative being eternal hell if I died first.

She was a good Catholic.

146. Gab

I bring shoes, CL. Even men’s shoes, whose soles have been restored 😀

147. Zippy;

insects? nematodes? tardigrades? amoebas? Protozoa?

Wot about Callies coelenterates?
    You can’t leave the Coelenterates out of a Teleological conversation.

“They have taken the Lord from the tomb, and we don’t know where they put him.”

149. Boambee John

Peter Castieau
    #2676173, posted on April 1, 2018 at 8:20 pm

Not sure of the wording of the legislation, but the GST was sold as a tax for the states to fund their operations. If that aim is to have real meaning, then all GST revenue should be returned to the state in which it was raised.

To the extent that the Commonwealth feels oblifed to engage in “horizontal fiscal equalisation”, that should be achieved using Commonwealth revenue, not the “states’ ” supposed source of revenue to fund their operations.

To the extent that the Commonwealth finds this a burden on its own ambitions, then the largesse will be controlled.

150. Gab

She may have believed it and she may have been taught this in another generation when the “fear of God” was taken literally and promoted by the clergy seeing it as their job to ensure adherence, given the human condition. As Calli has already stated, look to the love and character of Christ.

Thanks, Mr Khan …
    A grim milestone:

London murder rate overtakes New York for first time ever including 11 killings in just 16 days.

The victims’ names make me go “mmmm.”

Sadiq Mohamed, 20, Kentish Town
    Hannah Leonard, 55, Swiss Cottage
    Kwabena Nelson, 22, Tottenham
    Mark Smith, 48, Chingford
    Bulent Kabala, 41, Enfield
    Saeeda Hussain, 54, Ilford
    Juan Olmos Saca, 39, Peckham

152. insects? nematodes? tardigrades? amoebas? Protozoa?

Houses? Bricks? Electrons?

First two, no; I think the last does, but I may be conflating soul with substantial forms.

153. Rae

Speaking from experience, Rae?

No. But it would not surprise me if you were.

154. John Constantine

The Knights Templar that died fighting in the Crusades get to go to heaven, but the Knights Templar that lived a few years longer and were excommunicated and burnt as heretics are damned for eternity?.

Gets tricky with the outliers.

155. Gab

I’m certain their are Nigella-like angels who do the cooking too, CL.

156. Rae

None, don’t feed the troll!

Roger, None is a troll.

157. None

Kensington and Swiss Cottage we’re not ghettos when I lived in London. The only nonhmm names on the list.

dover_beach
    #2676285, posted on April 1, 2018 at 9:58 pm

insects? nematodes? tardigrades? amoebas? Protozoa?

Houses? Bricks? Electrons?

Souls to others then humans?

159. Eddystone

Australia all out for 221.

160. Ƶĩppʯ (ȊꞪꞨV)

insects? nematodes? tardigrades? amoebas? Protozoa?

161. I asked a couple of fellows if they were interested in teleology. The first queried, What that about? The second sardonically asked, Do you have a point? So it was, yes, from both.

162. Arky;

That crack gets you chalked up on the soulless list.
    Enjoy an eternity of oblivion you mechanistic abomination:

Bugger.
    You mean that the three or four times the defibrillator took its sweet fucking time to shock me back to life were really an experience of the Great Empty?
    (Winston starts looking through his pockets.)
    That’s not a Good Thing.

163. disturbing, I shudder to think how many of the above I have killed. looks like eternal damnation for me.

Why would you shudder? We have been given dominion over them all.

Economist.

AMERICA’S economy has grown massively during the past four decades, but not all of its workers have reaped the rewards. Perhaps the statistic most cited to demonstrate how unequal the gains have been is the median household income. Official statistics from the Census Bureau show that this number has remained flat for 40 years. However, a recent analysis by the Congressional Budget Office (CBO) found that it actually rose by 51% between 1979 and 2014.

It’s obvious it was bullshit.

This chart lends more to the evidence income has risen because consumption has been steadily going up – almost without any interruption.

165. Arky;

They get reanimated as smoking hot perky titted twenty-somethings.

Jesus, take me now!
    Where’s that bloody power point when you need it?

166. DrBeauGan

Arky
    #2676268, posted on April 1, 2018 at 9:39 pm

They get reanimated as smoking hot perky titted twenty-somethings.

Is that in the Bible, Arky? I must have missed that bit.

Even so, you haven’t done the arithmetic. Even the smokingest hot perky titted twenty year old would surely get to be a drag after a few centuries. If there were a hundred billion of them you’d be bored senseless in about 10^(20) years. Double it for each of the other pleasures to get at most 10^(100) years. After that you’d be stir crazy. And that’s only the beginning. By 10^{10^{10}) years everyone would be gibbering. You’d all be desperate for oblivion long before then.

An eternity of it sounds like hell.

167. Wait!
    Where are these Smoking Hot Perky Titted Twenty-somethings on the Hot Crazy Scale?
    And am I going to be back as the Red Hot Studling I was when I was 25, with belt length hair?
    (Eat your heart out Stimpy)

168. Knuckle Dragger

Saffies now building on their 267 run lead. This is going to be an absolute train wreck for Australia.

169. Souls to others then humans?

Elaborate.

170. Boambee John

CL

The victims’ names make me go “mmmm.”

Read recently that Anglo-Saxons are now a minority in London. This list seems to support that statement, though the sample is small and not widely distributed locationally.

Now that Anglo-Saxons are a minority in London, will all those who were given a “leg up” because they were then in a minority group now give the new minority preference in employment etc?

Stop rolling on the floor laughing, wssn’t this one of the reasons given for supporting minorities?

171. Peter;

Peter Castieau
    #2676173, posted on April 1, 2018 at 8:20 pm

Prolly a good idea if you leave that stuff till tomorrow. I fear there is an inordinate amount of drunkblogging with added testosterone happening tonight.

Heaven is a place of unimaginable possibilities.

“What no eye has seen, what no ear has heard, and what no human mind has conceived – the things God has prepared for those who love Him”. 1 Cor 2:9

I’m not preparing for an eternity of boredom.

173. An eternity of it sounds like hell.

It would probably be so if it were just as it is here now, but why would we assume this?

174. Ƶĩppʯ (ȊꞪꞨV)

Climate killer CO2 should become a super raw material[GT]

The industry wants to recycle carbon dioxide. The vision: CO2 should replace crude oil as a new super-raw material. German companies are in the lead.Düsseldorf In Marl in the northern Ruhr area, the chemistry is to be revolutionized. In the next few months, the project Rheticus will start in the industrial park there: the chemical company Evonik and Siemens want to copy nature, it’s about a process for artificial photosynthesis. Carbon dioxide and water are transformed into new chemical substances – just as the essence of plants is at their core.

The scientist and consultant is convinced: “In 50 years we will be able to produce chemicals and fuels completely without oil.”

175. Boambee John

None
    #2676291, posted on April 1, 2018 at 10:03 pm

One non-hmmm from Chingford?

176. Geriatric Mayfly

None
    #2676291, posted on April 1, 2018 at 10:03 pm

Alas, parts of the Royal Borough of Kensington are home to “less privileged”. Grenfell Towers is a case in point. Overall though, SW7 is a very upmarket address.

177. Frank

today’s perky tits are brought to you by Amy Mills hailing from …. Australia.

The astonishing wigglyness of it all.

178. Arky

I was in a brawl once. Twenty five years or so ago. I knew it was coming so stashed a length of steel reinforcing rod at the back of the house.
    But the fight started out the front. I remember punching the gentleman in the throat.
    After that my next memory is of him cowering on the ground, me with the steel bar poised above my head.
    The time from the front of the house to the back, and what occurred is completely missing.
    I think my subconscious brain turned my conscious brain off in order to do what had to be done, what with it knowing what a softcock I am.
    However there are other explanations.
    Maybe I was conscious the whole time but retained no memory.
    Or maybe memory is required as part of consciousness. On the surface this would seem to confirm the soulless, mechanistic view of consciousness. After all, if it is something that can be switched off, and a person can still perform complex tasks such as beating the tripe out of another, then it hardly seems central.
    But on the other hand, if we can perform complex tasks without consciousness, then what is it for?
    Why is it required at all?
    No. There is a hell of a lot more to this consciouness and self- awareness stuff.
    A lot more.

179. DB;

Why would you shudder? We have been given dominion over them all.

…and thank god for that…

180. Boambee John

Where is Chingford?

181. Peter Castieau

Winston,

Fair enough. I’ll ask the question tomorrow morning.

182. Arky

And am I going to be back as the Red Hot Studling

Ahhh! Redhead. Soullessness confirmed.

183. Dr BeauGan:

Is that in the Bible, Arky? I must have missed that bit.

An eternity of it sounds like hell.

Blasphemer!
    Stone Him!

184. Arky

Luckily, I’m easily amused.

185. Ƶĩppʯ (ȊꞪꞨV)

insects? nematodes? tardigrades? amoebas? Protozoa?

If insects have a soul, do they go to heaven or hell too?

186. Snoopy

But what if heaven is like groundhog day?

187. Rank;

today’s perky tits are brought to you by Amy Mills hailing from …. Australia.

The astonishing wigglyness of it all.

Heavens! I went back to check the wigglyness, and by Jove! I’ve soiled my undies -but only the front bits, so it’s all OK until washing day.

188. None

Our memories don’t work like CCTV. Our brains don’t encode and store every single thing that we see hear feel smell and touch. What we remember is what is of significance to us and if it’s not significant enough it will just be forgotten. What is more, everytime we recall something we actually are constructing a memory fresh every single time. It seems to me Arky, that you were anxious about the fight or the people involved therefore you remember your interactions with them, not insignificant details as to how you got from one end of the house to another. My two cents.

189. Helen

Why is it required at all?

Arky, you were in the fight zone, Vikings called them Beserkers, where you as you say, they do what had to be done. You dont want feelings of poain or guilt intruding when you are fighting to the death, which is where a lot of fights went in our prehistory. If you didnt win you were dead. To live you fought to live, so all your focus has to be on deadly intent, with NO space for intrusion, like bugger, I forgot to put out the rubbish or my toe hurts!

On a smaller scale, it is the same with sickness. The whole body is consumed with fighting the illness and we think it is a good idea to load it up with the extra burden of digestion. NO. Let body do its shit. It will tell you when it needas a feed – you will feel hungry.

Let body do its fight. It will tell you when you need to wake up – in your case just before you actually killed someone. In the olden days, probably not til after. Dont sweat. it is in the genes.

190. Frank

Winston, turn them inside out, and possibly backwards.

191. None

I think miss perky tits Argentina is way better dancer so than miss perky tits Australia except that Miss perky tits Argentina reminds me in a really strange way of that Bucky Beaver p.m. from New Zealand whatsername. I’m sure the men will see it differently.

192. Arky

It was different to that.
    It was like teleportation.
    A flick of a switch.
    Zap! One instance at the front of the house, the next thirty metres away.

193. Arky;

Did an exercise once in the hills above Canungra. Managed to capture the enemy CSM and while the enemy were trying to get him, we were interrogating him.
    He began to piss me off, and after a week of forced marches, bugger all tucker, and the low supply of ammo, I was about to belt him with my SLR. We both locked eyes as I raised the SLR to bash his head in, and the look of dismay on his face was enough to make me stop and go outside the bunker..
    The reality that I was prepared to bash a member of my own species to death was a real eye opener.
    I’ve never forgotten that episode.

194. urb

#2676313, posted on April 1, 2018 at 10:25 pm

She can wiggle good but can she make a sammich?

195. Arky

At the time that is what I thought happened.
    It was as if it turned me back on to ask: “You want to finish this”? Knowing I wouldn’t.
    Fact: there is a hell of a lot of very careful calculation occurring in our brains at any one time.
    The bits that screen across to make the conscious bit we think is us are carefully selected by something else that is also us.
    Thinking too hard about this does your head in.

196. Ƶĩppʯ (ȊꞪꞨV)

just because something is deterministic does not mean it is predictable. A neural network beyond extremely trivial is unpredictable even if it is entirely deterministic. There is little mechanistic about a neural network, even in silicon. There is plenty of scope for free will in a general AI.

197. DrBeauGan

Arky, I had a similar thing happen to me once.

The explanation is that shifting perceptions into memory takes time and in an emergency your brain doesn’t bother. So as far as you are concerned, it didn’t happen.

198. None

Chingford is outer north London John. I don’t know it’s status or ethnic makeup.

199. jupes

At least it won’t be an innings defeat.

200. Arky

Yeah.
    This dude had that expression on his face too. It is what I saw right away.
    That may have something to do with it.
    So even unconscious one’s brain can read other’s expressions.

201. Helen

Thinking too hard about this does your head in.

202. Boambee John

Peter Castieau
    #2676318, posted on April 1, 2018 at 10:28 pm
    Winston,

Fair enough. I’ll ask the question tomorrow morning.

My response will be the same, though I could also be persuaded that the Commoneealth should get the GST and the states Income Tax.

Whomever gets what, the two should be separate, so that one stream clearly funds the states and the other the Commonwealth. Then taxpayers know which to point the finger at if the tax is high but the results poor.

203. Arky;

And am I going to be back as the Red Hot Studling

Ahhh! Redhead. Soullessness confirmed.

No, every second member of the family had red hair. I had lustrous, thick, black hair. It’s now lustrous thick white hair.
    For thirty years I’ve cut it short to a buzz cut, but a month ago I decided to hell with them all.
    Haven’t cut it since. Currently thick (Lustrous and full of Bounce – TM Arky.) down below the collar.
    Encroaching on ponytail length, but I don’t really give a shit.

204. jupes

Nothing wrong with that in the right circumstances.

Bashing a member of your own army to death is completely different of course. Good thing you stopped.

205. If insects have a soul, do they go to heaven or hell too?

They perish. Most souls are not immaterial, and thereby, immortal.

206. Mitch M.

Thinking too hard about this does your head in.

Which is why there are so many neuroscientists, philosophers, and physicists endlessly speculating and getting nowhere. Better not to think about it because at present you’ll be inundated with too much nonsense.

I’m entertain a different view. In a way I think the hard problem of consciousness is just an excuse to engage in endless intellectual masturbation. From a neurobiological point of view it almost seems obvious that consciousness is quite simply the final stage of deliberation when the typically unconscious strategies don’t achieve a resolution, though keep in mind that there is a constant fluctuation between what we are conscious of and not conscious of. So on the one hand yes I can see there is much we have to learn but on the other hand I am not a mysterion about the issue. With regard to the present situation in the absence of new data I can’t see the point of all those talks and seminars.

207. PC;

Winston,
    Fair enough. I’ll ask the question tomorrow morning.

Don’t pike, get your arse back here and tell us about the caravan you sold to the Swedish Netball Team with the optional camera system.
    Go!

208. Infidel Tiger

Shane Warne sure is an arsehole. He hasn’t stopped ripping into Sayers all Test Match.

209. Helen

OTOH, with repetition there is more time to observe. In my early days in a catcher I didn’t have time to observe, just react. Over time though, with lots of repetitions, it seemed like I had stacks of time to observe the smallest details while completing my task of .bending and capturing some wild old bull. In reality the time was the same.

210. urb;

She can wiggle good but can she make a sammich?

When one wiggles like that, ones sammitch making capabilities run a very poor second.
    Now hush.

211. Arky

Time really slows down just before impact in a car accident.
    That is your brain saying: “You just killed us, you dumb bastard: look what you’ve done”.

A teleological approach to faith is ultimately a deterministic one and contradicts itself since our (Christian) God has given us free will; which immediately separates him from the muslim monster. In any event the only purpose relevant is God’s purpose and since he is transcendent that remains unknowable, although as I said before the nature of religion and poetry is to strive to know:

“Heard melodies are sweet but those unheard
    Are sweeter; therefore ye soft pipes play on
    Not to the sensual ear but more endeared
    Pipes to the spirit ditties of no tone.”

213. Jupes;

That really frightened me.
    Prepared to kill the enemy – or be killed by him – not a problem.
    But ready to bash the CSM?
    This steps over so many red lines – even in a make believe scenario, that I sometimes wonder of what I am capable of.

214. Arky;

Yeah.
    This dude had that expression on his face too. It is what I saw right away.
    That may have something to do with it.
    So even unconscious one’s brain can read other’s expressions.

In uncharted emotional territory.
    The issue here is that the enemy just shouts “Allahu Akbar!” and everything is sweet.

215. Gab

Time really slows down just before impact in a car accident.

I’ve experienced this twice. On reflection of course, time didn’t slow down, the brain goes into hyperdrive to react making it seem that time slowed down.

That’s the sort of episode you put in a little box, in your brain, marked “shit happens.” You unpack the box in middle age, as you reflect “Just where the fvck was my head at. What, really, was I capable of?”

217. The evidence is becoming indisputable, there is nothing in consciousness that can’t be the result of computation.

Algorithms are teleological, lest we forget.

Twice channel-flipped on to the Melbourne “Comedy” festival.
    First flip: woman joking about Christians praying about somebody’s gayness; “I’m sure Jesus …”
    *click*
    Second flip: “I’m black British …”
    *click*
    This is why I coined the phrase “funny in Melbourne”, a cousin to “big in Japan.”

219. Helen;

OTOH, with repetition there is more time to observe.

Please, please tell me that you belong to the Swedish Netball team and you’ve just just bought a caravan from Peter Castieau
    Winstons nostrils are flaring as we speak.

220. Infidel Tiger

“Funny in Melbourne”

“Famous in Sydney”

In Egypt in 1958 the thought of forcing women to wear the hijab or burqa had them rolling in the aisles:

222. Nerblnob

Read recently that Anglo-Saxons are now a minority in London

2011 census. 37% of London’s population born outside UK. About the same as Melbourne, except Melbourne doesn’t get the wealthy tax exiles and finance honkies like London does.

Gift intell sought from knowledgeable aficonados:

What is the very best whiskey, available in Australia?

Story goes that, in the Turkey of the 1920’s a group of Muslim clerics went to see Mustapha Kemal Ataturk, to demand that the wearing of the veil become compulsory, among Turkish women.

Ataturk is supposed to have replied that Turkish women were free to dress as they pleased, but the only women who would be compelled to wear the veil, would be those registered with the police, as prostitutes.

Seems the veil disappeared, from the streets of Turkey, almost instantly.

225. Nick

Sullivan Cove if Australian
    Johnny Walker Blue, perhaps.

What is the very best whiskey, available in Australia?

Depends. Are you talking Scotch, and how much do you want to pay?

227. Empire 5:5

Those laughing occupy about three postcodes. Regular people go to see politicaly incorrect comics in the Wayne Deakin mould, not the ABC endorsed commie haters.

228. jupes

What is the very best whiskey, available in Australia?

Limeburners.

229. Snoopy

What is the very best whiskey, available in Australia?

It depends. With Coke or a splash of water?

Limeburners.

I’ll go with jupes on that one – if you are talking Australian single malts, with Sullivan’s Cove in second place.

231. Empire 5:5

What is the very best whiskey, available in Australia?

Totally subjective. The recipient will not think poorly if they receive Lagavulin 16.

232. ZK2A;
    The world pivoted on the moment in 1914, that the Germans struck West, instead of East.
    Hey Germany, how’s that gastarbieter working out for you and Europe?
    The pyres should be lit for a hundred years, fed by the body fats of traitors.

233. Nick

I’ll bet it isn’t residents of Tarneit who are laughing, Empire.

It depends. With Coke

Father, forgive them, for they know not what they do…With Coke….the horror, the horror..

235. Nick

Bang for buck, Empire is right. Lagavulin 16 is the best

Radical gender propaganda fed to trainee teachers

Miranda Devine

IF you’re wondering how we’ve reached the alarming point where children are coming home from school confused about whether they are girls or boys, look no further than what one university is teaching its trainee teachers.

At the University of Technology, Sydney, first year students studying primary and secondary school teaching are obliged in their first semester this year to take a compulsory course called “Beyond Culture: Diversity in Context”.

Taught by two baby boomer academics with PhDs, Dr Wendy Holland and Dr Myra Dunn, the course thus far this year has delivered lectures on the topics of gender fluidity, race and identity.

In Week 3, in a lecture titled “Exploring Gender,” students were provided with Powerpoint notes which are mind-boggling, unscientific propaganda straight from the academic fringes of gender theory.

These UTS trainee teachers were taught that there are two views of gender.

One view, dismissed with just 13 words in the 15-page PowerPoint document, is described as “Essentialist”, and holds that ‘gender’ is “fixed and biologically determined … set at birth”. In other words, it describes reality as experienced by at least 99.7 per cent of people (not to mention animals).

The other view, which is the subject of the rest of the lecture, is described as “Constructivist”. It sees gender as “socially constructed, fluid and dynamic … a construct of language and discourse.”

ZK2A;

I’ve got that alternate history on order, but I’ve just scored “Disaster at D -Day The Germans defeat the Allies, June 1944” by Peter Tsouras, so there’s some escapist reading there.

238. Infidel Tiger

Bottle of Grants and 1.25l of Coke always did the job back in the day.

239. Snoopy;
    It depends. With Coke or a splash of water?
    What about the Fanta afficionados?
    Fuck. This spelling shit gets a bit hard, my Johnny Walker Red bottle is down to <50%.
    Itsy Bitsy Spider – Carly Simon.

240. None

It has to be single malt.

Bang for buck, Empire is right. Lagavulin 16 is the best

I’d also recommend the Aberlour A”bunadh, but, be aware, it’s cask strength at 61%, so too much can lead to a feeling of impending doom the morning after..