Tuesday Forum: January 1, 2019

1,741 Responses to Tuesday Forum: January 1, 2019

1. Memoryvault

in reality it’s the minority that provokes and that tends to be in the higher IQ.

Sarah Sea Patrol and Skeletor are geniuses??

Saying he would not miss her for ten days is piss poor too.

The bonking frequency is an indicator of a crap relationship, period.
    /No pun intended

3. mh

Ooooh that spider story – that is SO me!

There is a link there to a video of a huntsman carrying a mouse.

4. thefrollickingmole

Really, really well written piece.

We could make an Australian version using some of our political and media “stars” of the last decade.

a sample but RTWT

As we look to our celebrities, billionaires, intellectuals and senior statesmen, a sort of American pantheon, do we to find sources of reassurance in Hollywood, perhaps in the statements and behavior of the last two years of Cher, Barbra Streisand, Robert De Niro, Johnny Depp, or Madonna? Do the Oscars, Tonys, and Emmys showcase the expertise, competence, and professionalism of our entertainers?

Do the recent statements of the elite marginalized—a LeBron James, Alice Walker, or Tamika Mallory—remind us to reset our ethical bearings, or do they instead suggest that intersectionality can at times exempt, rather than serve as an impediment to, anti-Semitism? Has Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez shown us superior erudition and common sense?

Perhaps Harvard, now facing allegations that it systematically discriminated on the basis of race, can reassure us of progressive values in these tough times? Can its first Native American professor Elizabeth Warren help us endure Trump? Or maybe Google, Facebook and Twitter can show us the way to protect our civil liberties, free expression, and non-partisanship?

5. bespoke

Sarah Sea Patrol and Skeletor are geniuses??

Always acceptations MV. And I don’t think they are going to be more then they are now.

6. DrBeauGan

High IQ people do like arguing, in the sense of debate, not having rows, bespoke. I’ve mixed with some very bright people, as well as many more ordinary people, and in most respects there isn’t much difference between them in emotional terms. The only group who are big on hate and envy that I have identified are the power hungry. In politics, including office politics, they are distinctive and frankly nasty.

Not all in politics are like that, but the thoroughly unpleasant seem to thrive in that environment.

The obviously high IQ people on the Çat are people like Dover Beach, CL, Tel and BoN. They are not at all prone to going around upsetting people.

Being bright has its uses, but I admire things like common decency, moral courage and a sense of humour way, way above intelligence.

Don’t confuse intelligence with being an intellectual, they have no connection to speak of.

Makka

#2897157, posted on January 2, 2019 at 5:38 pm

The GOPe is a snake pit;

So, Trump is going to cop an even bigger hiding in the next 2 years than he has already copped. Is that possible?

8. Confused Old Misfit

My favourite from that piece of VDH’s:

the lesson was that the past record of governance and the current stature of our assumed best and brightest certainly did not justify their reputations or authority, much less their outsized self-regard. In short, instead of being a meritocracy, they amount to a mediocracy, neither great nor awful, but mostly mediocre.

Someone’s law says it’s not possible to assess the intelligence of anyone smarter than you are. Most of the psychologists who devise IQ tests come out around 130.

So I invent an IQ test with a question like “What number is written on the card in Tel’s pocket?”

Astoundingly … only I can answer this question and the test scoring automatically moves me up to IQ 200.

Hey, not only am I smarter than everyone, but I can now assess the intelligence of everyone stupider than me (that’s everyone, if you don’t believe me check the test, you won’t get a score of 200). Bonus! I have also outsmarted the entire psychology industry (hey, all they have to do is beat me in the test… refusing to do the test gives you an IQ score of 88).

Tel does the high IQ dance… beats them all, heh heh.

10. Gab

You are soooo ignored now, mh.

11. thefrollickingmole

Confused Old Misfit

It is a good piece.
    Im becoming of the opinion much of the value of “elite” universities is the networking as much as the credentialing of lawyers and similar “wordworkers”.
    People who have no way to be proven wrong in their own estimation as there are seldom concrete negative personal results for being crap.

12. DrBeauGan

Tel does the high IQ dance… beats them all, heh heh.

That’s only slightly dafter than some IQ test questions I’ve seen.

13. OldOzzie

The future might not belong to China

Replicating the success of other high-growth economies is about to become far harder

Do not extrapolate from the recent past. China has had a hugely impressive four decades. After their triumph in the cold war, both the west and the cause of liberal democracy have stumbled. Should we conclude that an autocratic China is sure to become the world’s dominant power in the next few decades? My answer is: no. That is a possible future, not a certain one.

The view widely held in the 1980s that Japan would be “number one” turned out to be badly mistaken. In 1956, Nikita Khrushchev, then first secretary of the Communist party of the Soviet Union, told the west that “We will bury you!” He proved utterly wrong. The examples of Japan and the Soviet Union highlight three frequent mistakes: extrapolating from the recent past; assuming that a period of rapid economic growth will be indefinitely sustained; and exaggerating the benefits of centralised direction over those of economic and political competition. In the long run, the former is likely to become rigid and so brittle, while the latter is likely to display flexibility and so self-renewal.

High IQ people do like arguing

😀
    I tell a secret. The only ever time I did an IQ test for which I got number.
    It was the square on Broadway just opposite Central Railway Station.
    At that time the Scientologists had a HQ there and like to lurk waiting for callow youth.
    I accepted their offer of an IQ test!
    They told me result: I thought oh ok.
    They gave me a copy of Dianetics, which I binned, then spent a year chasing me with junk mail.
    Good learning exercise!

15. bespoke

Sure I agree DB but always remember most of the stirring hear isn’t out of malice. I may have let Rae’s rubbish poison my appreciation of the video.

Cheers

16. Oh come on

Snap, Bruce. Well, sort of. I did once go up the stairs of a Scientology building in Perth when I was a teenager – can’t remember if they were advertising a ‘free personality test’ or a ‘free stress test’ at that stage – it altered at some point IIRC. I checked out their e-meter and something told me I was in the wrong place. They tried like hell to get my phone number and address off me. I remember rushing down the stairs and out the door into the street, and feeling relief.

17. DrBeauGan

I tell a secret. The only ever time I did an IQ test for which I got number.
    It was the square on Broadway just opposite Central Railway Station.
    I accepted their offer of an IQ test!
    They told me result: I thought oh ok.

Don’t keep us in suspense, tell us what it was, so we can know how intelligent the Scientologists thought you were. Obviously, not very, or they wouldn’t have sent the leaflets.

18. bespoke

I don’t need an IQ test to tell me what I already no. 🙁

19. P

Why blame Rae for your opinion. State your own opinion and then have the guts to own it.

20. Fleeced

Tricksy little hobbit!

21. Oh come on

The wheels really have come off Scientology. The internet did it in – former Scientologists can now share their experiences with the outside world effortlessly. It’s much harder for the Scientologists’ army of lawyers and spinmeisters to discredit so many people telling the same story independent of each other.

Apparently there are fewer than 20,000 practising Scientologists today.

22. Snoopy

IIRC IQ tests I completed commonly featured a question involving a number of water tanks and pipes of differing flow rates. Had to determine which tank filled or emptied first. Given that IQ tests are time limited it’s easy to see how someone who had never seen a water tank or water pipe could be at a disadvantage.

23. DrBeauGan

bespoke
    #2897234, posted on January 2, 2019 at 7:47 pm
    I don’t need an IQ test to tell me what I already no.

Nobody with any sense gives a damn what anyone’s IQ is. Stimpy worries about how much hair he has on his head, which is undoubtedly more important.

24. Rockdoctor

OldOzzie
    #2897094, posted on January 2, 2019 at 3:48 pm

Cheers, didn’t know of this one. Will check out on my next foray & it will be local food. Why travel to eat what you can get at home IMO & having worked in neighbouring countries I have a taste for the local stuff…

25. Fleeced

Apparently there are fewer than 20,000 practising Scientologists today.

Sounds way too low to me, though I guess it depends what you mean by “practicing”.

I thought they’d have more than that on their boats. I wonder how many of them still work in Hollywood?

26. Oh come on

Obviously, not very, or they wouldn’t have sent the leaflets.

They must have seen something in him as they target people with potential. You don’t see Scientologists trying to recruit poor people.

27. OldOzzie

Rockdoctor
    #2897240, posted on January 2, 2019 at 7:53 pm
    OldOzzie
    #2897094, posted on January 2, 2019 at 3:48 pm

Rockdoctor – Eaten both Lunch and Dinner there over the Years many times and it is very pleasant on Sunset

Aim to take my son there in February when in SIN on quick visit as he has not been there

28. bespoke

P
    #2897235, posted on January 2, 2019 at 7:50 pm

Well I did ‘own it’ by realizing my mistake, P.

29. DrBeauGan

Oh come on
    #2897247, posted on January 2, 2019 at 7:59 pm
    Obviously, not very, or they wouldn’t have sent the leaflets.

They succeeded in recruiting Tom Cruise. Maybe they thought BoN would turn into a movie star.

That would be a worry.

30. Oh come on

You’d think so but this is the number given by several Scientology ‘executives’ who had access to the internal documents that showed membership numbers before they left the cult. It still has billions in the bank, though, and maintains its precious tax exempt status. It has to spend its money on something, so it focuses on building ‘churches’ all over the world, which sit empty.

Apparently this is done so that David Miscavige can maintain the pretense that the cult is growing ever larger to a small group of billionaire Scientologists who donate hundreds of millions of dollars a year to the cult.

Sounds like Socialism.

I don’t need an IQ test to tell me what I already no.

That I’ve laid more intelligent turds than Grigs?

33. zyconoclast

Mowing your lawn is racist (video is only 2:56)

34. DrBeauGan

I’ve always thought that the “If you’re so smart, why aren’t you rich?” line had something flawed in it. If it’s possible to be a billionaire and a Scientologist, that settles the matter.

35. OldOzzie

Was Low-Dose Radiation From the Atomic Bombs Beneficial?

In August 1945, the United States dropped atomic bombs on the Japanese cities of Hiroshima and Nagasaki. The unprecedented explosions and resulting radioactive fallout resulted in the tragic deaths of roughly 200,000 people.

High levels of ionizing radiation spawned by the detonations sentenced individuals who survived the initial blasts to various cancers. Strangely, however, survivors subjected to lower doses of radiation may actually have had elongated lifespans and reduced cancer mortality. Such is the finding of an article recently published to the journal Genes and Environment.

Researcher Shizuyo Sutou of Shujitsu Women’s University is the author of the paper. Sutou examined data from the Life Span Study, which has followed 120,000 survivors of the atomic bomb blasts since 1950. His analysis showed that survivors exposed to between 0.005 and 0.5 Grays of radiation had lower relative mortality than control subjects not exposed to atomic bomb radiation.

Sutou’s finding is in line with the hormetic theory of radiation (hormesis), which states that very low doses of ionizing radiation might actually be beneficial, producing adaptive responses like stimulating the repair of DNA damage, removing aberrant cells via programmed cell death, and eliminating cancer cells through learned immunity.

36. zyconoclast

African migrants have highest crime rate in Israel! population
    In 2017, Eritrean and Sudanese nationals had 4.3 times more s3x crime cases, 3.5 times more violent crime cases, and 3.1 times more property cases than the general public.

The police refused to provide any data about murder cases.

37. Memoryvault

It’s probably just my stroke-scrambled memory, but didn’t John Travolta have a very acrimonious split with the Scientologists a few years ago? If so, that couldn’t have helped their membership numbers.

38. Old Lefty

Ah yes, Tel at 2.22 pm. Carmen Lawrence, aka after the Easton affair ‘Our Lady of the Immaculate Deception’.

PS: if anyone is wondering about my moniker, it’s a guilty acknowledgement that I too was taken in by Whitlam on my youth. The disillusionment started when he recognised Soviet sovereignty over the Baltic states.

Mind you, it’s easy to forget how woeful Billy McMahon was. Doug Anthony admitted years later the the Coalition leadership knew within weeks that they’d made a dreadful mistake in choosing him, but they felt it was too late to do anything about it.

39. Tintarella di Luna

Opt out of My Health Record.

A My Health Record will be created for every Australian who wants one after 31 January 2019.

Gab, Online it is a matter of moments, I did it on 13-11-2018 took a couple of minutes, same with the Sunbather and my older son and DIL opted out the first chance they got.

Not so easy for some though can you think why?

The main ID criterion is the Medicare Number, that’s fine and the secondary identifier is either one of the following: Driver’s Licence, Veteran’s Card, Immigration Card or Passport — can you guess who would have problems getting on line and opting-out without any of the secondary identifier documents?

40. zyconoclast

WASHINGTON – Rep. Sheila Jackson Lee (D-Texas) told PJM that the federal government should conduct a study of reparations for descendants of slaves to be able to determine the best way to “repair some of the damage” that slavery has caused to the African-American community.

The legislation seeks to “address the fundamental injustice, cruelty, brutality, and inhumanity of slavery in the United States and the 13 American colonies between 1619 and 1865 and to establish a commission to study and consider a national apology and proposal for reparations for the institution of slavery, its subsequent de jure and de facto racial and economic discrimination against African-Americans, and the impact of these forces on living African-Americans, to make recommendations to the Congress on appropriate remedies, and for other purposes.”

After three decades of failed socialist rule, the ABC describes Brazil’s new leader Jair Bolsonaro as “far right”.

Infidel Tiger
    #2897133, posted on January 2, 2019 at 4:55 pm

While global statistics on home size are difficult to come by, latest data indicates that Australian homes are the second biggest in the world, behind the US. The average new house built in the US last calendar year (latest available) was 245 square metres (m²), around 5 per cent bigger than in Australia.Nov 17, 2017

I was surprised by the avg. house and unit sizes in Europe when first moved here.

10 square and larger are considered huge. I don’t know why? Not for lack of block sizes for sure.
    I can only think of winter heating.
    Of course there are exceptions.

43. zyconoclast

Wow, I’m racist’: In time of viral encounters, ‘white spaces’ are used to confront biases
    “I used to think I was this perfect little white person in a bubble that didn’t do anything bad to black people, and so I was OK.”

Nicole O’Connor, a nurse practitioner in St. Louis, was selling her dining room table on Facebook when a prospective buyer — a black man — reached out. She told her husband not to leave her alone if the man came to see the furniture, which she didn’t feel the need to say when a white woman like herself had shown interest.

That was her moment of clarity: “I was like, ‘Oh my God, that’s racism,'” O’Connor, 32, said in a group of all white adults this month. “So I told my husband. I’m like, ‘I don’t know what to do with this, but this is how I’m feeling.'”

O’Connor felt vulnerable and embarrassed but also understood as she shared the story with seven others sitting in a circle at a school in suburban St. Louis. No one passed judgment. This was their “white space” — a concept that has been growing in communities like St. Louis where racial incidents have prompted anger and even unrest.

44. DrBeauGan

zyconoclast
    #2897254, posted on January 2, 2019 at 8:11 pm
    Mowing your lawn is racist (video is only 2:56)

And that addled fuckwit is an educator. We are in deep doodoo, no question.

IQ tests are interesting and useful. For instance my wife is smarter than me but I am stronger and richer.

Cost of fighting the American Civil War to be deducted from any reparations?

47. OldOzzie

AI Will Create Millions More Jobs Than It Will Destroy. Here’s How

In the past few years, artificial intelligence has advanced so quickly that it now seems hardly a month goes by without a newsworthy AI breakthrough. In areas as wide-ranging as speech translation, medical diagnosis, and gameplay, we have seen computers outperform humans in startling ways.

This has sparked a discussion about how AI will impact employment. Some fear that as AI improves, it will supplant workers, creating an ever-growing pool of unemployable humans who cannot compete economically with machines.

This concern, while understandable, is unfounded. In fact, AI will be the greatest job engine the world has ever seen.

Embracing AI in the Workplace

A January 2018 Accenture report titled “Reworking the Revolution” estimates that new applications of AI combined with human collaboration could boost employment worldwide as much as 10 percent by 2020.

Electricity changed the world, as did mechanical power, as did the assembly line. No one can reasonably claim that we would be better off without those technologies. Each of them bettered our lives, created jobs, and raised wages. AI will be bigger than electricity, bigger than mechanization, bigger than anything that has come before it.

This is how free economies work, and why we have never run out of jobs due to automation. There are not a fixed number of jobs that automation steals one by one, resulting in progressively more unemployment. There are as many jobs in the world as there are buyers and sellers of labor.

This Is How The Sun Moves In The Sky Throughout The Year

Geostationary satellites do a similar figure 8.

49. DrBeauGan

cohenite
    #2897268, posted on January 2, 2019 at 8:22 pm

Yet more evidence of ingrained injustice and sex bias in society. I hope the feminists are reading this and seething about it.

50. Confused Old Misfit

This is very true. Also said to be one of the chief benefits of private schooling.

On the IQ front, I’ve had to undergo three of these. Only marginal improvement from the first to the third.
    As I am now in an advanced stage of antiquity I suspect it has slipped back to or below the initial test result.

51. P

52. Confused Old Misfit

Is Romney shaping up for a 2020 challenge?

53. Oh come on

Or it’s an argument in favour of an inheritance tax?

54. zyconoclast

Orangutan strikes again

Trump to Allow Months for Troop Withdrawal in Syria, Officials Say

WASHINGTON — President Trump has agreed to give the military about four months to withdraw the 2,000 United States troops in Syria, administration officials said on Monday, backtracking from his abrupt order two weeks ago that the military pull out within 30 days.

Tricksy little hobbit!

Hey, it’s an IQ test… not an originality test!

56. Snoopy

Presumably the descendants of the west Africans who sold them into slavery will chip in?

57. Memoryvault

my wife is smarter than me but I am stronger and richer.

There is no question who wears the pants in our household.
    I wash and iron them for her as well.

58. DrBeauGan

Oh come on
    #2897277, posted on January 2, 2019 at 8:31 pm

Or it’s an argument in favour of an inheritance tax?

Just publishing a list of names and addresses of dim billionaires would do it. The private enterprise solution.

59. Snoopy

AI Will Create Millions More Jobs Than It Will Destroy. Here’s How

Someone has to fix the fuck ups.

60. DrBeauGan

I want to start the union for AI fuck-up fixers now.

61. Snoopy

egg_
    #2897281, posted on January 2, 2019 at 8:38 pm
    Many tanks

I’m not even going to try.

62. DrBeauGan

I’m not even going to try.

That shows high intelligence, Snoopy.

AI Will Create Millions More Jobs Than It Will Destroy. Here’s How

Lawyers will see a huge growth industry figuring out who is responsible when a robot truck goes off on rampage … components sourced from 592 different corporations in 37 different legal jurisdictions.

64. Gab

Yes, I can, Tinta. Surely their legal guardian can opt out for them? And if they don’t have one, then yes, they have no choice.

Just as household chores haven’t been reduced by automation?

67. Oh come on

I watched a few Scientology doccos recently. The cult has made some powerful and highly effective adversaries over the past decade or so. The book Going Clear broke the dam wall, I suspect.

It’s pretty interesting hearing why perfectly intelligent people gave so much of their life to what is obviously a cult. Apparently a common moment when high ranking Scientologists have their first serious wtf moment is when they reach Operating Thetan III.

When you reach OT III, the ‘truth’ is revealed about how hundreds of billions of people from other planets were rounded up by intergalactic warlord Xenu, put on space planes (that look like DC-9s), were transported to earth, dumped in volcanoes and blown up with hydrogen bombs. Their spirits roam the earth today and attach themselves to the living, which is what causes all of our personal, emotional, behavioural problems.

Apparently ‘that sounds like a crock of shit’ is a pretty common reaction when that is revealed to new OT IIIs. Higher-ups inform them that ‘you don’t have to believe it, you just have to do it’. I believe lots of Scientologists become disillusioned by LRH’s nutty story when they reach OT III, but they stay in and keep trying to advance for a number of reasons.

A common one is fear of being declared a “suppressive person” which means you are “disconnected” from all friends and family who remain in the cult. Zero contact. Another one is that many have committed most or all of their lives – and tremendous sums of money – to getting to that level, and it’s a bit confronting to admit they got it all wrong and they’ve wasted their lives and very often those of their family members. It’s easier for them to carry on with what they’re used to.

68. Memoryvault

I’ve read the same thing, Zulu. You also won’t see mentioned much the fact that the first “slaves” in America were not black Africans, they were white Irish. The Irish were replaced by Africans because the Irish were very , let’s say, “uncooperative”.

69. DrBeauGan

My doorknocker (see avatar) keeps them away. I haven’t been troubled by an evil spirit since I installed it.

It keeps Scientologists away, too. Also Jehovah’s witnesses.

Just as household chores haven’t been reduced by automation?

Household chores take four hours for women and half an hour for men.
    All that automation does is give a cleaner outcome.
    Modern houses are like operating theatres.
    So clean they squeak.

71. OldOzzie

egg_
    #2897291, posted on January 2, 2019 at 8:46 pm

Just as household chores haven’t been reduced by automation?

egg

I would have to disagree here, in fact watching the ABC iView Series “Back in Time for Dinner”. with 6 of our Grandchildren and their Mothers over the Xmas New Year Break, the Wife of the series definitely appreciated the benefits of Automation as the Series Progressed through the Decades

Episode 1 The 1950s
    Guided by Annabel Crabb, an Aussie family goes on a time-travelling adventure to discover how the food we eat transformed the way we live, the fabric of the nation and defined family roles – starting in post-war 1950s.

Episode 2 The 1960s
    The 1960s bring great change to Australian families. The dinner table is the hub of conversation on the role of young women in work & education. While ‘housewives’ start experimenting with exotic new dishes like Chinese

Episode 3 The 1970s
    It’s the 1970s in the Ferrone household & that means flared pants, moustaches & lots of orange. It’s the decade of the women’s movement and Carol gets a job while Julian and Peter are introduced to the world of the ‘Ocker’.

Episode 4 The 1980s
    It’s the 80s, a decade of big hair & a booming economy. Our family experience nouveau cuisine & check out the Atkins & Pritikin diets. The arrival of the microwave means sharing a home-cooked meal begins to disappear.

Goes up to the 90s, 2000s, The Future

72. Steve trickler

Tank H gives the game away.

73. bespoke

OldOzzie
    #2897270, posted on January 2, 2019 at 8:26 pm

I’m a big fan of AI but over selling and dismissiveness of the down side happens all the time with new tech.

watching the ABC iView Series “Back in Time for Dinner”

Pheasant plucking must have been a chore.

75. Snoopy

While ‘housewives’ start experimenting with exotic new dishes like Chinese

Rice A Riso.

76. P

Opt out of My Health Record.
    Not so easy for some though can you think why?

It was indeed daunting for me because I do not have a driver’s licence and my passport is older than the two years allowed, but I persevered on the telephone for about an hour and finally spoke to a person who said O.K. you are now taken off the record, you are opted out. Thank you I said, this took a few seconds after I had waited for about an hour simply because I did not have a driver’s licence or current passport.

I’m old, so this procedure of opting out I felt was discriminatory against age, as well as many others that do not have a driver’s licence or a current passport.

On The Project tonight, “comedian” Peter Helliar interviewed “comedian” Hannah Gadsby.
    One of the most depressing, humourless and dour sit-downs in television history.
    From 36.00.

78. Snoopy

I’m fairly certain that the introduction of coleslaw into Australian cuisine was due to the Women’s Weekly and coincided with Elvis’ service in Germany.

79. Boambee John

OCO at 2051

But enough about the environmemtal religion …

80. Frank

Ooooh that spider story – that is SO me!

Advice for arachnophobes. Get the vacuum cleaner and a can of Mortein. Hoover them into the bag and then spray some insecticide into the end of it to nuke them while they are trapped inside. The second step is optional and probably redundant.

Or KFC.

82. Snoopy

Or KFC

It was way before that.

83. DrBeauGan

C.L.
    #2897304, posted on January 2, 2019 at 9:13 pm
    From 36.00.

I tried to watch it while skipping to 36:00 and it hung on some adverts about cheap cruises. On reflection, that was probably a good thing.

KFC came here in the late sixties I think. Before then?

85. Frank

Elvis was famous for his redeye gravy the filthy slob, it never caught on here sadly.

86. Confused Old Misfit

… the introduction of coleslaw into Australian cuisine…

Don’t know about Australia but we had it during the summer in Canada when I was a little tacker during the war.

87. Oh come on

Once I became a bit familiar with the Scientology lexicon – the non-wacky sci-fi part of it, anyway – what struck me was how current it sounds. That inflated, euphemistic, pseudo-technical linguistic style relied upon by every modern cult, every crappy self-help concept, every Amway-style pyramid marketing scheme, every psychobabble philosophy to imbue a sense of credibility to the nonsense – L Ron Hubbard invented that style in the early 50s when he created Scientology. That is surely his greatest cultural impact. In creating that linguistic style, he enabled an incalculable volume of horseshit ideas to be gussied up and fed to billions.

88. OldOzzie

bespoke
    #2897300, posted on January 2, 2019 at 9:06 pm
    OldOzzie
    #2897270, posted on January 2, 2019 at 8:26 pm

bespoke,

I am actually a sceptic on AI, having come from an 360 Assembler Programmer background on Real Time Airline Reservations Systems, analysing hexadecimal dumps in real time when system went down, scratch patching to cause possible further dumps to isolate the problem

AI is only as good as the underlying software (originally written by humans) and in the case of the Being 737-Maxx8 Crash in Indonesia, looking suss.

I saw Amazon Alexa at work last year, at my ex Chairman’s house in the UK and it gave me the creeps with its listening and learning capabilities – when I came to buy a KG Wall TV I went with the old model W7 as the new W8 Model with AI learning capabilities

89. None

The unfair, anti-Catholic conviction of he who cannot be named at the NY Post.

90. Hay Stockard

After the cruel joke perpetrated on me regarding Rae the Cyst I had some good news.
    My Amcester DNA came back and I am predominantly Norse. In fact a lot of Norman.
    She who must be obeyed turned our Danish and Southern English. I haven’t tutored her on William the Tanners grandson and the results of 1066. Thank goodness for education after the baby boomers. It was bad enough I,was late back from happy hour and had to eat salmon instead of beef.
    Other than that I only very recently became cognisant that during the Greek Civil War the Communists kidnappped over a hundred thousand children and spirited them away to Communist countries, never to be heard of again.
    I wonder why I hate leftwards and those of that ilk.

91. Cassie of Sydney

“Zulu Kilo Two Alpha
    #2897292, posted on January 2, 2019 at 8:48 pm

I don’t have a reference, but I’ve read the claim that, without the connivance of their fellow Africans, not a single slave would ever have left that continent.”

Absolutely, there was a very good French documentary recently on the History Channel that chronicled the slave trade over the last 1500 years. What was really illuminating was just how much Islam was an instigator of the slave trade……Islam was dependent on slaves for both economic and social reasons in a way that Europeans never were. The slave routes throughout western Africa were controlled by their fellow Africans who primarily sold the slaves to the north….to the Muslim Berbers and Arabs. So it is worth noting that the major slave routes weren’t across the Atlantic….it was north….to the Arabs and Ottomans.

92. Confused Old Misfit

I’m with Old Ozzie on the AI.
    When I can decide what it learns and can tell it what to forget and be sure that it’s forgotten…

A quick Google – KFC in 68 followed by Pizza Hut in 70.

I vaguely remember Mum wondering why on earth people would want to buy it. Chooks only came frozen back then – none of this fresh from the fridge stuff we take for granted today. There were jokes about Kentucky Fried Seagull/Rat. It came with hideous coleslaw and a lump of mashed potato swimming in gravy.

Of course it was addictive. Those secret herbs and spices and all.

94. Infidel Tiger

Coleslaw is Dutch

95. None

My health is a con in many other ways. I had reason to see my doctor a few weeks back and I said to her by the way I’ve opted out of my health make sure that nothing gets uploaded for me and she said don’t worry even if you had opted in we won’t be uploading records anyway because doctors actually have to actually upload records every time they update you’re far and she said no way were they going to do it – she has a very busy practice – and they certainly weren’t being compensated for the extra costs that incurred.

96. Cassie of Sydney

Hannah Ghastly makes Tom Ballard look funny……that’s how bad she is.

97. Steve trickler

Fascinating to watch. This bloke is worth checking out, time permitting.

Found this channel when Krakatou blew its top in Indonesia and killed hundreds via the tsunami. And Krakatou blew again this morning. Ash to 50,000 feet. No tsunami.

He pisses of the seismic community, muck like many individuals do with the climate establishment.

98. Snoopy

A quick Google – KFC in 68 followed by Pizza Hut in 70.

Hartee’s in 1971.

Oh…you could have a fresh chook if you were prepared to despatch one that was a slack layer.

Grandpa always dug the feathers in around the citrus trees. The rest went in the pot.

100. P

… the introduction of coleslaw into Australian cuisine…

I never heard of it here in Oz until perhaps the late sixties.
    I’m from the age of the Ham and Beef Shop before it became the Delicatessen.

Nature red in beak and claw.

102. DrBeauGan

Cassie of Sydney
    #2897324, posted on January 2, 2019 at 9:37 pm
    Hannah Ghastly makes Tom Ballard look funny……that’s how bad she is.

I can’t help feeling sorry for her. She’s caught in a developmental trap and can’t stop obsessing about herself. It’s rather horrible.

103. bespoke

Alexa gives me the creeps to OldOzzie as well as even more people sitting around thinking of ways to interfere with others. The internet enabled people to extend free speech and seems now turning into a tool to oppress. Having said that if used to argument people to lift them selves up that would be a positive.

104. Confused Old Misfit

Medical records.
    Should be a blockchain app for that!
    My maternal grandparent were German stock so they brought coleslaw and saurkraut along with them.
    Their ancestors arrived during the mid 1700’s.

105. Shy Ted

C.L. That post with Hannah Goodbody and Peter Hilarious constitutes cruel and unusual punishment and as such is illegal in this country. The punishment for posting it would also be cruel and unusual but it’s illegal so I’ll just let you off with a warning. Memo to self – sell shares in Ch10 first thing tomorrow.

106. Zyconoclast

None
    #2897317, posted on January 2, 2019 at 9:33 pm
    The unfair, anti-Catholic conviction of he who cannot be named at the NY Post.

Well spotted. Just search his name and New York post..

107. Ƶĩppʯ (ȊꞪꞨV)

AI is for all intents and purposes is non-procedural. There is no real comparison to traditional programming.

Now you might argue the code that drives the network is procedural and you would be correct, however the repeated looping through a large network of nodes and mathematical operations at each node creating a pattern in a very high dimensional space (as in potentially thousands of dimensions) mean you have no clear idea what the pattern means ie what it knows. atm it’s all dependent on the training data sets vs test sets.

Once they crack the unsupervised learning bit, then all bets are off, an AI that teaches itself and can decided what it wants to learn will rapidly overtake human intelligence given sufficient resources.

108. None

Forget the humourless comedians who no one has heard of on The Project at the 25 minute mark there waa Sarah Henderson talking quotas for Liberal women and mention of O’Dwyer and Marise Payne I mean for fucks sake just kill the liberal party now.

109. Confused Old Misfit

…just kill the liberal party now.

I thought that all here (with perhaps one or two exceptions) had agreed that it was already dead?

on The Project at the 25 minute mark there waa Sarah Henderson talking quotas for Liberal women…

Like fighting over deckchairs on the Titanic.

111. Zyconoclast

Under Attack
    Dear Readers
    I have faced more than 100 taxpayer-funded inquiries into my views on marriage, family and morality since 2013. None of the allegations against me have been substantiated. I estimate that this anti-conservative witch hunt has cost the taxpayer more than $5 million.
    Much of the litigation against me has been brought by one activist who has stated that he is seeking to lodge as many complaints against me as possible to bankrupt me and seize my assets. Unfortunately, on four occasions since 2013 the legal system has decided to ignore this malicious motivation.
    As such it is simply not possible to continue writing in the current environment. It is too dangerous to do so.
    I will continue to vigorously defend myself in the courts. If you can donate to support my legal defence it would be greatly appreciated. Please also keep me and my family in your prayers.
    Once (and that is a big ‘if‘ in modern Australia) I get through this nightmare I intend to recommence writing.
    Bernard Gaynor

Donate via Paypal

PayPal – The safer, easier way to pay online!

Donate via Direct Deposit
    BSB: 084 134
    A/c: 85 137 5337
    Name: Get Real Australia Trust
    Donate via Cheque/Money Order
    Address: PO Box 766, Park Ridge, Qld, 4125
    Name: Get Real Australia Trust

This is incredible if true.

Brennan’s questionable loyalty dates back to the terrorist attacks on 9/11.

On September 18, 2014, on the Ground Zero radio program, a whistle blower named Greg Ford of the 223rd Military Intelligence Battalion claimed that Brennan, as chief of the CIA station in Jeda, overrode concerns and ordered that the visas of the 19 plane-hijackers be stamped. At 1:32:47 into the interview, Ford talked about ISIS and how it was created. Someone called in with a question about 9/11. Ford said:

“All 19 high jackers? Where did they get their visas stamped before they came to this country to launch 9/11? They got their visas stamped in the CIA station in Jeda. And the second in command said ‘No way, absolutely we are not going to stamp those visas.’ And the fellow who was in charge, his name was John Brennan. He was the person who overrode those concerns and cautions and ordered those visas stamped in Jeda.”

Brennan is a worthless piece if shit. Read more here:

I have my doubts he is a convert though.

Try SPC Telco Exchanges ARE-11+ for heavy duty number crunching.

114. Infidel Tiger

ye
    ye
    @kanyewest
    We will change the world. God is on my side. I am a Christian. I am a tax payer. I am myself. God is with us.

115. OldOzzie

Ƶĩppʯ (ȊꞪꞨV)
    #2897338, posted on January 2, 2019 at 10:04 pm

Zippy

They are getting close

Google’s New AI Is a Master of Games, but How Does It Compare to the Human Mind?

After building AlphaGo to beat the world’s best Go players, Google DeepMind built AlphaZero to take on the world’s best machine players

By Katherine J. Wu NOVA
    smithsonian.com
    December 10, 2018

For humans, chess may take a lifetime to master. But Google DeepMind’s new artificial intelligence program, AlphaZero, can teach itself to conquer the board in a matter of hours.

Building on its past success with the AlphaGo suite—a series of computer programs designed to play the Chinese board game Go—Google boasts that its new AlphaZero achieves a level of “superhuman performance” at not just one board game, but three: Go, chess, and shogi (essentially, Japanese chess). The team of computer scientists and engineers, led by Google’s David Silver, reported its findings recently in the journal Science.

“Before this, with machine learning, you could get a machine to do exactly what you want—but only that thing,” says Ayanna Howard, an expert in interactive computing and artificial intelligence at the Georgia Institute of Technology who did not participate in the research. “But AlphaZero shows that you can have an algorithm that isn’t so [specific], and it can learn within certain parameters.”

AlphaZero’s clever programming certainly ups the ante on gameplay for human and machine alike, but Google has long had its sights set on something bigger: engineering intelligence.

The researchers are careful not to claim that AlphaZero is on the verge of world domination (others have been a little quicker to jump the gun). Still, Silver and the rest of the DeepMind squad are already hopeful that they’ll someday see a similar system applied to drug design or materials science.

So what makes AlphaZero so impressive?

Gameplay has long been revered as a gold standard in artificial intelligence research. Structured, interactive games are simplifications of real-world scenarios: Difficult decisions must be made; wins and losses drive up the stakes; and prediction, critical thinking, and strategy are key.

Encoding this kind of skill is tricky. Older game-playing AIs—including the first prototypes of the original AlphaGo—have traditionally been pumped full of codes and data to mimic the experience typically earned through years of natural, human gameplay (essentially, a passive, programmer-derived knowledge dump). With AlphaGo Zero (the most recent version of AlphaGo), and now AlphaZero, the researchers gave the program just one input: the rules of the game in question. Then, the system hunkered down and actively learned the tricks of the trade itself.

116. Jo

Sarah Henderson will be back at the ABC this time next year. She only won Corangamite by a few hundred votes in the last election and there won’t be a CFA dispute to save her a second time. Shorten must hate Dan Andrews with a passion for delaying his ascendency.

117. Old School Conservative

I unfortunately looked at The Project clip and was subjected to the unedifying spectacle of Steve Price galavanting around as a chorus transgender in a Pricilla Queen of the Desert stage show.

Old men with a beer belly should not dress up to camp it up.

118. Oh come on

There is a reason why Brennan is so preposterously shrill in the Trump era. He’s scared shitless.

119. None

Glad to hear Henders on is mincemeat. Let me repeat for the millionth time; get rid of all women in politics; all useless. Also get rid of all the homos – Smith, Zimmerman, Wilson, Wong etc etc – they’re all useless too.

Attention whore?

121. Rae

Their ancestors arrived during the mid 1700’s.

Not the mid 1700s. The Germans, lots of them vine dressers from the Rhine, came to Australia in the 1830s and 1840s.

122. Confused Old Misfit

Didn’t say they came to Australia.
    If you’d bother to follow the conversation….

123. old bloke

Cassie of Sydney
    #2897319, posted on January 2, 2019 at 9:35 pm

The Arabian word for a black African is “abd”. The Arabian word for slave is “abd” (as in Abdullah, slave of Allah). The Islamic treatment of black Africans has always been racist, Mo himself called black Africans “raisin heads”, slavery still exists in some Islamic countries.

124. Oh come on

Steven Crowder has identified the problem with Hannah Gadsby’s comedy. Someone just forgot to dub the laugh track over her piece. Skip to 2min35sec to see this rectified.

It makes a difference!

125. Rae

They were recruited to emigrate to Australia, where no-one knew how to properly tend vines or make decent wine. Had to find their own way to England to board a ship to the colony.

126. Beertruk

calli
    #2897329, posted on January 2, 2019 at 9:41 pm

My Old Man knocking over three chooks and a domesticated duck when I was a young fella. I asked my youngest sister if she wanted to pluck the three chooks or just do the duck. She chose the duck. I had the three chooks plucked and finished while she was two thirds away from finishing the duck. Ducks have a lot of fine down on them underneath the primary feathers. 🙂 She didn’t fall for it a second time.

127. Dave in Marybrook

Captain Cook brought sauerkraut to Australia.
    ref/ Little Ladybird History.
    Deal with that one, hipster handwringers!

128. Snoopy

For what it’s worth that seems somewhat inconsistent with what’s on Wikipedia.

The first hijackers to arrive in the United States were Khalid al-Mihdhar and Nawaf al-Hazmi, who settled in San Diego County, California, in January 2000. They were followed by three hijacker-pilots, Mohamed Atta, Marwan al-Shehhi, and Ziad Jarrah in mid-2000 to undertake flight training in South Florida. The fourth hijacker-pilot, Hani Hanjour, arrived in San Diego in December 2000. The rest of the “muscle hijackers” arrived in early- and mid-2001.

129. Zyconoclast

Other than a tweet, the Dems have nothing to fear from the Orangutan.

Don’t blame the FBI — Hillary Clinton was never going to be charged

130. OldOzzie

egg,

looking at the LM Ericsson SPC telephone switching system ARE 11-SPC local exchange system PDF

on Page 15 of the PDF – Hardware design of the ARE 11 processor
    The picture shows the ARE 11 processor rack with a traffic control processor TCP in the upper
    half and an operation and maintenance processor OMP in the lower half of the rack. The
    only visible difference between these is the I/Oterminal interface at the bottom of the rack. The
    memory contents are, of course, also different.The central processing unit is a modern microprogrammed machine utilizing fast TTL logic throughout, and it occupies only one two-level
    shelf.

I was later involved in a number of Racked Hardware Front End Communications Protocol Switching units – circuit boards with eproms using Z80 Assembler and using Datscopes to analyse problems with multiple Communications Protocols

Fond memories of late nights both here and overseas

SIRI is just as bad. Google’s DEEPMIND worse in that it is heuristic. My brother in law thinks he was smart swearing at SIRI until it announced it doesn’t respond to cursing.

132. Ƶĩppʯ (ȊꞪꞨV)

I have my doubts he is a convert though

133. Confused Old Misfit

“They”, assuming you mean persons of Germanic stock, in the context to which I was referring were German Protestants, primarily from the Palintate area, settled by the British in the colony of Nova Scotia from 1749 on in the township of Lunenburg. The inducement to settle were free land grants and the political reason for their importation was to counter the Catholic French Acadian presence.
    At that time global warming had not progressed to the point where their vine growing prowess, if indeed they had any, would have benefited them. Were they to arrive today they would find some cold weather varieties might do fairly well.
    Here is a quick and simple reference.

Zyconoclast, I get the impression you don’t like Trump.

135. Stimpson J. Cat

Has anyone seen stimpy today??
    That is very hurtful.
    Anyone who has had a mouthful of cobwebs and a spider crawling over their eyes knows just how scary they can be.
    It is a perfectly normal fear.

136. Stimpson J. Cat

Of course they don’t.
    Nerds.
    Not that there’s anything wrong with that.
    I sometimes wish I could count higher than 20 but it’s our hands and feet that make us human, after all.

137. Confused Old Misfit

Stimpy,
    If you count them twice, carefully mind you, you can get to FORTY!

Speaking of Trump, I hope we get 6 more years of him:

In an interview with Fox News’ Pete Hegseth, Trump was asked whether Warren really thinks she could make him a one-term president. “Well, that I don’t know,” Trump responded. “You’d have to ask her psychiatrist.”

139. Oh come on

Other than a tweet, the Dems have nothing to fear from the Orangutan.

I don’t believe this is true. More importantly, some Dems clearly don’t believe this is true. Brennan is a perfect example of a careerist deep stater. These guys are po-faced motherfuckers by trade. However, Brennan has made what must certainly have been a calculated decision to go fully unhinged.

Brennan is a man who knows what treason is, ie. he knows what the definition of treason is. He also knows that treason is a capital offence in US federal law. His background suggests that he wouldn’t be the type to sling accusations of treason around lightly. His background also suggests he wouldn’t be a screamy partisan talking head on MSNBC in retirement. So why does he do these very uncharacteristic things? Something else is in play here. Something is coming for Brennan, Brennan knows it, Brennan is manoeuvring himself into a position to claim that what’s coming down the pike for him is politically motivated.

140. DrBeauGan

Brains may have a little to do with it, too, stimpmeister.

141. Fisky

House prices down by 1.34% in December, across 5 capital cities. The crash is on. Soon immigration will have to be reduced!

142. Infidel Tiger

No fisky. They will have to ramp it up.

The perpetual ponzi machine can never be stopped.

143. Confused Old Misfit

DR BG,
    Do you think it possible that Stimpy doesn’t know that Thirty and Forty even exist?

144. Zyconoclast

Zyconoclast, I get the impression you don’t like Trump.

I want to. Definitely better than Hillary but is failing to deliver.
    Whether he wins in 2020 or not, he will be the last republican candidate to be president.

145. #2897336, posted on January 2, 2019 at 9:55 pm
    I know where this place is. I might not be back for a while.

Hey Shy Ted.
    Don’t link that stuff. It goes very wrong scrolling down.

146. Zyconoclast

Kentucky Distillers Scientifically Emulate A Century-Old Bottle Of Bourbon

But that antique bottle of Old Taylor, which was originally released in 1917, inspired Eaves
    “We decided to use a good old-fashioned ‘GC’ — gas chromatography,” she says.

147. None

So I watched that Steve Crowder clip and so this Hannah lebuan wants to be a comedian with no comedy and her comedy is about her allegedly getting raped. Pardon the pun but she’s f***** in the head.

148. Memoryvault

Much talk earlier tonight about artificial intelligence.
    Here is the Irish comedian Dara O’Briain to explain modern technology.

149. Zyconoclast

Man shouted ‘Allah’ before knife rampage at Victoria Station in Manchester
    UK police have raided a flat after three people were stabbed in a terror attack at a train station in Manchester where the knifeman was heard yelling “Allah”.

150. Zyconoclast

Chinese students are choosing Australian universities in record numbers, with more than 150,000 enrolled across the country.

This marks a huge increase from 2013, when only 85,111 studied tertiary education in Australia.

Undeterred by high fees, middle-class Chinese people believe an overseas education will give them an edge in a competitive domestic job market, and now the country supplies 39 per cent of Australia’s foreign university students.

151. Infidel Tiger

Higher education is the greatest folly and scam in the western world.

It has destroyed us.

Universities should all be razed.

152. Dave in Marybrook

Putter her personal circumstance aside, Gadsby is simply following the drift wherein comedians are gifted a vehicle and use it to browbeat their audience about their own cultural/political prescriptions.
    ABC stablemates like Charlie Pickering, Wil Anderson, Wahid Ali will pitch into their variety shows with a close-up, tense face rant about green left inner city betes noir – the laff-along audience are cued not to titter but rather listen in rapt affirmation until they are granted a closing hammy line to remind them how common-touch and clever their host is.
    When this latest “viral” sensation was inoculated by their ABC my lovely wife asked me what I thought about Gadsby’s Netflix turn. I had even less idea of the content than her, and said something along the lines of “well we’ve incubated her at the ABC for a decade, but I suppose if she’s struck gold in the wide world then good for her. But knowing her schtick after watching her pathetic Art series, it’ll all be “I’m kooky and brilliant, and aren’t you men and your d*cks pathetic?” and her audience will be only the white-ribbon betas.”
    I think I was right. It’ll be a brave man who puts money on her hosting the Oscars.

153. mh

Aslan has awoken:

Donald J. Trump
    Donald J. Trump
    @realDonaldTrump
    50s
    Here we go with Mitt Romney, but so fast! Question will be, is he a Flake? I hope not. Would much prefer that Mitt focus on Border Security and so many other things where he can be helpful. I won big, and he didn’t. He should be happy for all Republicans. Be a TEAM player & WIN!

154. Memoryvault

Please tell me you don’t really believe this crap, Zyco.

155. Oh come on

This is her shtick nowadays, though. She now insists that she won’t trivialise her experiences by making them funny in her stand-up routines. Ok, Hannah, no problem. Find some other material that doesn’t involve experiences you find painful and try to make the audience laugh at that.

Oh. Hannah thinks she can get the audience to pay for her self-indulgent, deliberately unfunny whinnying about her past so she can deal with it or enjoy as public a meltdown as possible or whatever.

Give the woman her due, though. She was never particularly funny. However, she has found a way to make her unfunny stand up routines commercially successful in a huge market. She picked her audience as a bunch of rubes who came to be amused but are actually much happier being conned into believing they’re witnessing ‘post-comedy’, something revolutionary, something extremely edgy and so on.

156. Bruce in WA

Mine says similar … Norse to Norman to 1066 to UK … but a significant amount of Indian (as in the sub-continent) thrown in!!

I just keep reminding myself the correct order is “Rape!”, “Pillage!”, “Burn!”.

157. Stimpson J. Cat

Stimpy,
    If you count them twice, carefully mind you, you can get to FORTY!

This is seriously absolute genius and has honestly never occurred to me.
    Add him to the High IQ Nerd list BeauGan.

Noongar “Elder” from the South West of Western Australia, pushing the same, tired, discredited old bullshit about Aborigines being considered “Fauna” until the 1967 Referendum. What comes next, poisoned waterholes and smallpox infected blankets?

159. DrBeauGan

DR BG,

He may have heard of them, misfit, but I expect he thinks they are quite useless except for people with four hands and six feet.

Bruce in WA
    #2897390, posted on January 3, 2019 at 12:00 am

All good wishes for a Happy New Year, from the hills overlooking the Avon river, Bruce. Good fields of fire all round…

161. Memoryvault

This is seriously absolute genius and has honestly never occurred to me.
    Add him to the High IQ Nerd list BeauGan.

Stimpy, write out the Roman numerals one to ten bigly on a sheet of paper.
    Now look at the fingers on your two outstretched hands.

Think about it.

162. Memoryvault

Evening, Zulu.
    Hail and well met.

163. mh

…Today, the fiercest political and economic competition is between China and the US. A conventional view is that by, say, 2040, China’s economy will be far bigger than that of the US, with India far smaller still. But might this view be mistaken? Capital Economics, an independent research firm, answers “yes”, arguing that China’s period of stellar outperformance might be coming to an end quite soon. (See charts.)

It was a conventional view during the Obama years. Not so conventional a view since President Trump took office. PBUH

164. DrBeauGan

Stimpy, write out the Roman numerals one to ten bigly on a sheet of paper.
    Now look at the fingers on your two outstretched hands.

Think about it.

That would make W the roman for ten, right?

Evening, Zulu.
    Hail and well met.

Hail and well met, Memoryvault. J.C’s ravings aside, you took a stand, and justified it, and I take my hat off to anyone who takes a stand these days.

166. Memoryvault

That would make W the roman for ten, right?

Not on my sheet of paper, Dr BeauGan.
    Nor on my fingers.

(Sits and waits quietly for the ‘gotcha’ moment . . .)

167. Memoryvault

Life moves on, Zulu.

168. As a Protestant at Sunday School during the ’40s, and in my teens in the ’50s I sang so often this hymn, I never thought as a Catholic that I may hear it now:

Until this thread, I had no idea that song had ever been sung by anybody but Slim Dusty.

He recorded it more than 40 years ago.

I had no idea it was a hymn.

Infidel Tiger

#2897345, posted on January 2, 2019 at 10:17 pm

ye
    ye
    @kanyewest

Me too.
    And God as well.
    Go Bombers!

Night, all, to those on the Cat. Keep your head down, memoryvault.

171. Memoryvault

Beautiful song.
    Goodnight Zulu.
    Way too late to worry about my head.

If you missed somebody’s earlier link to George Weigel in the New York Post on the most criminally corrupt trial and perversion of justice yet seen in this country, here it is.

Several high officials need to be jailed over this. Nothing less will do.

173. Several high officials need to be jailed over this. Nothing less will do.

Twelve spring immediately to mind.

This week, newly elected senator Mitt Romney left no doubt he’s going to Washington as a NeverTrumper, which prompted Ben Garrison to repost this 2012 cartoon.

175. Brennan is manoeuvring himself into a position to claim that what’s coming down the pike for him is politically motivated.

Just like De Niro. When the MeToo movement starts and you remember your parties with Roman Polanski you yell “f Trump” to an audience of millions so as to claim any eventual roosting chickens to be politically motivated.

Shaka your booty.

Zulu treasures go under the hammer: Collector expects to pocket £50,000

A REMARKABLE collection of Zulu artefacts is up for sale for £50,000.

It includes shields and weapons used at the Battle of Rorke’s Drift, where a 140-strong British garrison defied all odds to defend their station from 4,000 Zulu warriors in 1879. Former council worker Michael Woodfield was inspired to start collecting after watching the film Zulu, starring Michael Caine, as a young boy and being struck by the bravery on both sides. He is now selling the collection of 120 Zulu artefacts which he has collected over four decades.

The sale with C&T Auctioneers of Ashford, Kent, is on next Wednesday.

I wonder how long it’ll take before some ANC chancer claims colonialism and demands it all be returned?

177. I have my doubts he is a convert though.

CL, he was a CIA head in Saudi Arabia, by accounts subject to SA counter intelligence. What might that entail? What better counter intelligence is possible than an actual conversion? Would that put him in a good position for CIA director under Obama?

The only problem I see is that agents opposed to the Visas could have had the terrorists activities tracked. If the AFP can stop terrorist attacks, then why not CIA agents with potential perps already identified?

178. None

So Kanye yeep yeep and his big bum wife are going to have yet another kid by surrogacy. For emancipated types they certainly like enslaving women and turning them into wombs for hire. What a grotesque couple.

179. John Constantine

Their disney gets the Punisher Woke.

The evil force to be the threat of season two is evil alt right christianity.

“So yep, season 2’s villain is an alt-right Christian fundamentalist in a time when actual alt-right Christian fundamentalists are in a position of power in the US, though they usually hate both the terms “alt-right” and “fundamentalist” at this point. They’re also likely to be very, very vocal about the decision to be made the bad guys in a season of The Punisher, but this is clearly being done for a very specific reason.

The Punisher’s trademark skull has been adopted as a sort of symbol for many people in the alt-right movement, and he has been sort of a conservative, gun-toting icon for a long while now, even before these labels existed. ”

Basically, the punisher as a property is owned by people that hate guns and the military, and hate the punisher skull being used by people they hate, so the owners of the property are spending the money to make a netflix series to destroy the property so it can’t be used by the base fans that the owners despise.

Comrades.

OldOzzie
    #2897361, posted on January 2, 2019 at 10:38 pm

Worked on the successors: AKE-13/AXE-12, Nortel DMS-100/300; never worked on Alcatel or Lucent stuff.
    Leo is a Telco guy too, IIRC.

The AKE-132 introduced distributed processing; Nortel DMS making the system bus the core architecture, as does Lockheed in their birds, IIRC.

181. Ƶĩppʯ (ȊꞪꞨV)

romney what a cuck

Their disney gets the Punisher Woke.

They do like self harm don’t they?
    Meanwhile the quiet right vote with their feet:

Clint Eastwood’s Latest The Mule Has Made A Surprising Amount Of Money At The Box Office (via Drudge)

The Mule opened on December 14 opposite Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse and Mortal Engines, and has brought in $61.1 million through its first three weekends. The film has held strong at #5 at the box office in its third weekend, outperforming the new releases Adam McKay’s Vice and the movie people are walking out of, Holmes & Watson. What’s even more impressive is that its weekend box office grew 28.1% from its second to third weekend, according to Box Office Mojo.

Older audiences are really showing up for Clint Eastwood’s latest, and when it’s all said and done, The Mule could climb to a final domestic tally of at least $90 million and possibly as much as $100 million, according to The Hollywood Reporter. That’s a nice sum for the $50 million film and that’s before factoring in its foreign run, which will begin when it opens internationally in January.

Disney should change its logo to an empty chair.

John Nolte had an excellent column on The Mule yesterday. Well worth a read.

Thanks for the link to the New York Post, CL.

So, we’re being compared to Alabama in the 30’s?

Fair call.

Australia – you’re standing in it.

Just wipe your shoes off before you come inside. Better still, bin them.

Bruce of Newcastle
    #2897443, posted on January 3, 2019 at 7:26 am

John Nolte had an excellent column on The Mule yesterday. Well worth a read.

Thanks BoN
    Among many things I didn’t know about in the entertainment industry, this is one:

Eastwood is also an accomplished musician and composer who has scored his own films.

hate the punisher skull being used by people they hate

Chuckle. Fun isn’t it?

188. Australia – you’re standing in it.

Alternatively:

Looks like sh1t.
    Smells like sh1t.
    Feels like sh1t.
    Tastes like sh1t.

Better not stand in it.

189. Ƶĩppʯ (ȊꞪꞨV)

Xi Jinping says Taiwan ‘must and will be’ reunited with China
    In a speech marking 40 years since the start of improving ties, he reiterated Beijing’s call for peaceful unification on a one-country-two-systems basis.

However, he also warned that China reserved the right to use force.

On the subject of movies, I enjoyed this review:

“Holmes & Watson” is one of those movies that goes beyond unfunny and into a comedy-cubist zone, where jokes are no longer recognizable and laughter is philosophically impossible.

Perfect.

191. Snoopy

Mr Bragge is a totalitarian cockhead.

The state’s Transport Accident Commission (TAC) is working towards a goal of zero road deaths but is that a realistic aim?

Behavioural change expert Peter Bragge from Monash University said it would be “a huge challenge” but was possible.

“The language of road toll implies that there’s a price that we’re happy to pay,” he told ABC Radio Melbourne’s Meshel Laurie.

“If we believe that it is possible, and there is evidence emerging now both in Australia and around the world that it is possible, then that can help us redouble our efforts to change our behaviour.”

Mark A
    #2897447, posted on January 3, 2019 at 7:47 am

Kyle Eastwood – Wikipedia
    Kyle Eastwood (born May 19, 1968) is an American jazz bass musician.

193. Nob

Mark A
    #2897447, posted on January 3, 2019 at 7:47 am
    Bruce of Newcastle
    #2897443, posted on January 3, 2019 at 7:26 am

John Nolte had an excellent column on The Mule yesterday. Well worth a read.

Thanks BoN

Seriously?

He made some good jazz films, Bird for example, and wrote the score for Bridges of Madison County I think.

Check this doco:

calli
    #2897451, posted on January 3, 2019 at 7:56 am

I prefer Rathbone and Bruce.

Sherlock Holmes (1939 film series) – Wikipedia
    A series of fourteen films based on Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s Sherlock Holmes stories were released between 1939 and 1946; the British actors Basil Rathbone and Nigel Bruce played Holmes and Dr. John Watson, .

195. Mr Bragge.

Country people unnecessarily die at a higher rate due to lack of prompt medical care or no doctors at all.
    Mr Bragge may turn his zero efforts to this very solvable death toll.

196. Baldrick

“The language of road toll abortion implies that there’s a price that we’re happy to pay,” he told ABC Radio Melbourne’s Meshel Laurie.

… the owners of the property are spending the money to make a netflix series to destroy the property so it can’t be used

None of those “alt-right” fans are going to be watching Netflix. None of them care.

198. hzhousewife

I see SA’s Big battery is recharging at the moment, wouldn’t be any use if some unintended heat related event happened to the network right now.

199. P

Socrates at the Pub
    #2897403, posted on January 3, 2019 at 12:31 am

He recorded it more than 40 years ago.
    I had no idea it was a hymn.

Before reading your comment ^ I had no idea that Slim Dusty had ever recorded it.

Slim Dusty And His Bushlanders Directed By Geoff Harvey ‎– Showers Of Blessings

Top Ten Money Making Stars Poll
    From Wikipedia

Most Years Top 10 – 25 John Wayne 21 Clint Eastwood

Nob
    #2897457, posted on January 3, 2019 at 8:04 am

Seriously?

Sorry about that chief, but different people have different interests, mine lies elsewhere, not in the populist entertainment industry.

Neither ashamed nor proud of it, just a fact of life.
    Yes I do watch some films, but not many and none in the last 10 years that I recall.

202. Andreas

Aiming for zero road deaths, but deaths from terrorism acceptable:

“all of us, as Victorians and indeed Australians, have to accept that violent extremism is part of a contemporary Australia.”

203. John Constantine

After a couple of decades of supplying medical support to rural Australia by looting the poorer countries of the world of medicos, plan b was introduced last year.

Actually testing the medics to see if they were qualified for life and death medical decisions.

Nobody was ever allowed to discus the uncomfortable position that it was all down to luck whether your town got a genuinely qualified medic or somebody chancing it.

Significant numbers of medicos have vanished from rural Australia since testing became compulsory.

204. Rockdoctor

Tom
    #2897415, posted on January 3, 2019 at 4:41 am

Speaking of banning the bag I noticed whilst reading the CM in the Qantas Club in Brisbane on NY Day they are pushing for more. People are just buying the bags now and obviously they are finding out peoples behaviour hasn’t been changed so hey lets ban bags all together now because we must be made to believe.

205. Eyrie

Mitt Romney – the Malcolm Turnbull of the Republican party

Supermarkets won’t drop plastic bags altogether. They can’t because they’ll lose sales.

Fifteen cents a bag was just the starting price. Watch it go up.

207. Eyrie

“What we’ve decided in Victoria and around the nation, and in fact around the world, is that actually zero is the number that we should be aiming for.”
    Who is this “WE” dickhead?

208. so hey lets ban bags all together…

Hey, why mess around.
    Lets ban the stuff they put in the bags.
    That will fix it.

209. OldOzzie

egg_
    #2897439, posted on January 3, 2019 at 7:00 am
    OldOzzie
    #2897361, posted on January 2, 2019 at 10:38 pm

Leo is a Telco guy too, IIRC.

You really were at the Technical End of Telecommunications People

The Telecommunications People I worked with were usually ex Telecom or OTC (Overseas Telecommunications Corporation) and I was the interface for the Computer Front End Supplier who was developing our software for the Front End Network.

210. Eyrie

House prices actually went up in the capital of mainland Tasmania? WTF?

Rawhide (TV series)
    From Wikipedia,

Rawhide is an American Western TV series starring Eric Fleming and Clint Eastwood. The show aired for eight seasons on the CBS network on Friday nights, from January 9, 1959,[1] to September 3, 1965, before moving to Tuesday nights from September 14, 1965, until January 4, 1966, with a total of 217 black-and-white episodes.

212. John Constantine

After listening to a vikpol political RE education team, the take home message that nothing was out of the question when it comes to Safe Proles.

Keeping our elites safe by curfews for the proles, eternal monitoring of proles, rationing internal movement of proles within and between districts.

Vikpol politicals already asking for young informers to sob in sixty year olds that shouldn’t be on the road.

Artificial intelligence monitoring software installed in new cars will enthuse and empower vikpol.

Remote monitoring of all Tories that annoy the State will be possible all too soon.

Instead of fifty percent of vikpol being diversity just doing facebook monitoring from an office, the five foot seventy pound vikpol diversity officers can also remote monitor the unsound without social media whenever they are in a vehicle.

213. Nob

Mark A
    #2897469, posted on January 3, 2019 at 8:35 am
    Nob
    #2897457, posted on January 3, 2019 at 8:04 am

Seriously?

Fair enough. I’m not that interested but have seen Eastwood interviewed at his piano a few times.

OK.
    Let’s change the language around it then and call some of these deaths what they are … suicides.
    It will never be zero for that very reason but it does provide an excellent platform to keep driving speed limits down.
    30 is the new 40.

215. OldOzzie

Memoryvault
    #2897388, posted on January 2, 2019 at 11:56 pm

Please tell me you don’t really believe this crap, Zyco.

Based on the number of Chinese Grandparents (and other nationalities Grandparents) I have seen throughout my numerous visits to Hospital Ambulatory Care Dept in 2018,, given there is no welfare in China, the Australian degree leads to residence and Family reunion and with no welfare in China – with one child policy in China there is lack of future support for Chinese Grandparents so it makes sense to have Australia as Welfare Backup

calli
    #2897475, posted on January 3, 2019 at 8:49 am

My 1970s hiking bag still holds my shopping.

217. OldOzzie

RNC chair McDaniel sides with Trump over uncle Mitt Romney

In the reinvigorated feud between her uncle, Mitt Romney, and her boss, President Donald Trump, Republican National Committee chairwoman Ronna McDaniel has picked a side: the president’s.

McDaniel was critical of Romney, referring to him in a post to Twitter only as “an incoming Republican freshman senator.” Romney, who will be sworn in as a senator from Utah later this week, authored a scathing op-ed published Tuesday by The Washington Post in which he wrote that Trump “has not risen to the mantle” of the presidency.

“POTUS is attacked and obstructed by the MSM media and Democrats 24/7,” McDaniel wrote on Twitter. “For an incoming Republican freshman senator to attack @realDonaldTrump as their first act feeds into what the Democrats and media want and is disappointing and unproductive.”

Her statement above nails it

218. So you went hiking with the wife in the 70s.
    How sweet.

incoherent rambler
    #2897489, posted on January 3, 2019 at 9:14 am
    So you went hiking with the wife in the 70s.
    How sweet.