Monday Forum: January 14, 2019

1,698 Responses to Monday Forum: January 14, 2019

JPM, I reckons sets the tone in the big cap older name stocks for the reporting season.

2. zyconoclast

One of the kids has an old tripod telescope in his room which I hadn’t seen for ages. I bought it when he was little. I set it up this evening. There’s a quarter moon or whatever it is and you can actually see the craters very clearly. Incredibly good.

Is the Chinese space probe visible?

3. feelthebern

Fun fact.
    Berkshire Hathaway biggest position.
    Apple.
    Not much commentary on how much they’ve dusted over the last month.

4. feelthebern

Mr Dimon will spin a good story & it will close up on the day.

5. None

Wouldn’t want to break the shell, things would get messy…

he’s already scrambled and fried

you turned out to be my biggest disappointment

Never mind we’ll always have Fraser Anning. Now don’t forget To join a Rally outside Parliament House on Feb 12th at 1.30 pm wearing a yellow vest. Wear a flower between your teeth so I’ll recognise you.

7. None

My latest news feed from the (Melbourne) Herald Sun tells me Australia’s most politicised police force (Fatty Ashton’s Keystone Kops) today reluctantly arrested a vegan activist when she tried to video a dying cow after a truck rollover. I’m tipping her name was Anne.

I’m tipping the vegan causex the truck rollover.

8. feelthebern

The rally on the 12th will be the biggest fizzer since the McRib returned.

I read this years Barrons roundtable, which isn’t bad to sometimes glean a little bit of information. They’ve had this bond guy on for the past several years. He’s a funny looking fucker and has a silly name… Gundlach.

One thing he said during his babble was the US has 122 trillion of debt. That’s 6 times GDP. Sobering.

cohenite
    #2908350, posted on January 15, 2019 at 11:24 pm
    you turned out to be my biggest disappointment

Always looking for that elusive fuhrer.

11. a reader

Well Proctor & Gamble can go and die by the sword. SJWing is not the way to make friends an influence people. They’re buggered. And of course the woman behind the campaign is an Australia

12. feelthebern

The debt number is meaningless.

The debt number is meaningless.

It isn’t until it is, which is when the Fed fucks up and tightens too hard. I can’t really see a strong dollar for any extended period of time, because the debt level should put a brake on the Fed.

14. feelthebern

Fun fact.
    The Chinese stock market still closes for lunch.
    How antiquated.

15. zyconoclast

Singapore may tighten adoption law after gay father adopted son

The minister, Desmond Lee, reiterated that in parliament, saying the government did not support “the formation of family units with children of homosexual parents through institutions and processes such as adoption”.

“Following the court judgement, MSF (Ministry for Social and Family Development) is reviewing our adoption laws and practices to see how they should be strengthened to better reflect public policy,” Lee said.

Singapore, which is trying to boost its low fertility rate, offers generous incentives for couples to have babies but in-vitro fertilisation is allowed only for married couples and surrogacy services are not available for anyone.

16. None

Can you imagine if the gay marriage referendums resulted in years of debate and delay and were ultimately thwarted?

what gay marriage referendums? Brexit was a binding vote on the British government and May’s cowardly and persistent effort to avoid delivering on Brexit is contemptible. She should be hanged for treason.

17. feelthebern

The Fed is done raising interest rates for now.
    Junk bond spreads have closed in 100bps over the week & a bit.
    The caravan moves on.

18. feelthebern

A weakening (or at least less strong) USD would be a God send for emerging markets.
    Anyone with a pegged currency is screaming for some relief.

19. zyconoclast

From 12 months ago

GILLETTE ENGAGED IN DECEPTIVE MADE IN USA MARKETING

MADISON, CONN. January 23, 2018 – Despite a national advertising campaign showcasing patriotic imagery, highlighting its Boston headquarters, and heavily promoting its “Made in Boston” heritage, ad watchdog truthinadvertising.org (TINA.org) found that Gillette actually only makes a couple of its blades in the U.S.

The rest of Gillette’s blades and razors, among dozens of other products purchased and examined by TINA.org, are either wholly or partially made in foreign countries, according to origin information on product packaging. Even the blades that Gillette makes in Boston include handles that are made in Poland and Mexico.

The FTC’s Made in USA standard calls for items marketed with an unqualified Made in USA claim to be “all or virtually all” made here. Anything less and the product or product line cannot legally bear the claim, be it expressed (e.g., “Made in Boston”) or implied (i.e., through the use of U.S. symbols and geographical references to U.S. locations).

That’s true, Bern. They’re most likely done, but the reversing of QE (quantitive tightening) is equal to about two rate hikes according to Morgan Stanley’s estimate. No wonder the market fell. Those fucks were talking about 5 rate hikes for the year if we include QT. Madness.

feelthebern
    #2908363, posted on January 15, 2019 at 11:37 pm
    Anyone with a pegged currency is screaming for some relief.

I’m really long Yen. Wish me luck. 🙂 It could be my trade for the year.

22. feelthebern

Implied pricing is factoring in a 20bps cut by Jan 2020.
    Shows how quickly the market moves.
    US 10years at 3.25% everyone was saying 4% here we come.
    Now they’re back at 2.7% ish with a bias to the downside.
    During 2019, the 10year will go sub 2.5% but will also see 3+ at some stage.

23. jupes

I’m beginning to have sympathy for her. She’s weak but she is trying to implement what people voted for …

Don’t be an idiot candy. May is trying to implement the exact opposite.

24. feelthebern

Long yen, makes sense.
    I find it easier to pair.
    Long GBP short AUD.
    Long RMB short AUD.

25. jupes

Is there anything worse than a tennis crowd?

The game itself.

26. feelthebern

Why have sympathy for any politician ever?
    I have sympathy for the poor punter who can’t afford to have a fan on because of the electricity bill the politician is force feeding them.

I have no real clear view on the Aussie, the Euro or the Pound. I can see the case for the Aussie heading to the low 60s with the advent of the borg being elected. But a lot of that has been or is being discounted. That’s baked in. The Euro should be lower but it isn’t and the pound is too hard. The Yen trade looks really clear to me. Their QE was never enough and Yen is on its way to appreciating again.

28. zyconoclast

NSW to pump up hydro power with dozens of new projects

Pumped hydro will play a key role in transitioning New South Wales (NSW) towards a renewable energy future, with the State Government earmarking 24 new projects for development.

The projects, built on dams owned and operated by WaterNSW, would have a capacity of about 7000 megawatts and could supply 50% of the state’s demand for electricity on the hottest days.

The government worked with the Australian National University (ANU) to identify potential pumped hydro sites, finding 22,000 reservoirs that could be used for a possible 98,000 schemes. However, with the Australian Energy Market Operator predicting NSW will need 9000 megawatts of utility-scale energy storage in 2040, only a small number of the schemes would need to be developed.

NSW Minister for Energy and Utilities Don Harwin said new pumped hydro developments would help support the $26 billion worth of renewable energy projects being built in the state.

“Pumped hydro delivers the long-term, utility-scale energy storage that is critical to achieving a smooth transition to renewables in NSW,” Harwin said.

Jupes, it’s a hard job. The EU are canutes and the Germans are trying to win the last war again -this time by screwing the Brits.

30. feelthebern

The Brits screwed themselves.

Is Paul Hogan ill? He’s doing a cancer ad beside a barbie grilling prawns.. what else.

He looks very yellow.

32. zyconoclast

Cucks.

House GOP Leaders Move To Strip Rep. Steve King Of Committee Assignments

House Republican leaders moved Monday to remove Republican Rep. Steve King of Iowa from two House committees as a punishment for his recent comments in a New York Times interview where he questioned whether “white supremacy” and “white supremacist” were offensive terms.

33. Snoopy

P&G down 8% in premarket trading.

34. JC,
    I forgot that listening to talk back radio was a thing you don’t seem to approve of . Naturally it only applies when I mention it but not when others do. I guess I should spend my time trawling through 27 American news web sites to find links to post here.

Thanks. Another example of your hypocrisy and only having a go at certain people when they mention something but not others. Still waiting for you to have a go at Top Ender (sorry TE !) for raising military or historical matters as he does not incur the almost daily negative comments you aim at Zulu when he mentions such subjects.

Please extend my

35. Snoopy

JC
    #2908377, posted on January 15, 2019 at 11:54 pm

He looks very yellow.

Curious. I believe he’s only smoked one cigarette a day for over 30 years.

36. feelthebern

Nike is still down 10% since it launched its ill fated ad campaign.
    But I imagine most of that is related to the broader market weakness.

Fuck me, you’re a waste of oxygen, Rooster.

Ender can post anything he likes. He’s interesting and appears intelligent.

You’re not and neither is the Rones.

Enough, as you’re disturbing the flow. SFTU.

Pacific Gas and Electric said on Monday that it would seek bankruptcy protection as “the only viable option” as the giant California utility faces billions of dollars in liability claims from two years of deadly wildfires.

All to do with climate change. That’s what really caused all the fires – not 80 year old power lines dropping onto dead grass etc.

39. mh

Donald J. Trump
    Donald J. Trump
    @realDonaldTrump
    5m
    Great being with the National Champion Clemson Tigers last night at the White House. Because of the Shutdown I served them massive amounts of Fast Food (I paid), over 1000 hamberders etc. Within one hour, it was all gone. Great guys and big eaters!

Hamberders? Any one explain what they are, I can’t be bothered to look.

40. Infidel Tiger

P&G down 8% in premarket trading.

Great stuff.

So all these companies going full SJW knocks about 10% off the value of them. It’s like corporate tithing.

41. Infidel Tiger

Trump deliberately publishes tweets with spelling mistakes to get bigger impact.

42. feelthebern

IT did you stop drinking Little Creatures post it being bought out?

43. zyconoclast

Explains why the are more witches in the US than Presbyterians.

Pastor out after his ‘Bruce Jenner is still a man’ sign divides a California church

Hoke had posted his controversial message, which read “Bruce Jenner is still a man. Homos3xuality is still sin. The culture may change. The Bible does not,” on a sign outside the church in early January, reported The Sacramento Bee.

Good book, on the first four months of the Presidency of Harry S. Truman “The Accidental President” – by one A.J. Baine.

Seems Truman’s mother had never reconciled herself the the defeat of the Southern Confederacy. She visited the White House, for the first time since her son became POTUS. Offered accommodation in the Lincoln bedroom, she declined indignantly. “That man” slept there…. Good book, recommended.

45. Snoopy

Oops not that P&G. It’s the one that burned California.

46. jupes

Jupes, it’s a hard job.

Not at all. All this bullshit about the ‘no deal’ option being a total disaster is bollocks on stilts.

Just leave the fuckers.

Infidel Tiger
    #2908388, posted on January 16, 2019 at 12:07 am
    P&G down 8% in premarket trading.

That’s in parallel universe. PG is not down 8% in the premarket in this one. Someone forgot to check out the dot before the 8. It’s now down .68%.

48. Infidel Tiger

IT did you stop drinking Little Creatures post it being bought out?

I never really liked their beer. Too fruity and beloved of Fremantle types.

Amazing how many of these hipster beer companies have been bought up by the big boys.

49. feelthebern

Stone & Wood is a great beer.
    But after about 6 its pretty bloating.

50. Zatara

Very interesting article on the up-side of the US govt shut down.

I’m A Senior Trump Official, And I Hope A Long Shutdown Smokes Out The Resistance

On an average day, roughly 15 percent of the employees around me are exceptional patriots serving their country. I wish I could give competitive salaries to them and no one else. But 80 percent feel no pressure to produce results. If they don’t feel like doing what they are told, they don’t. Why would they? We can’t fire them.

I typically spend about 15 percent of my time on the president’s agenda and 85 percent of my time trying to stop sabotage, and we have no power to get rid of them. Until the shutdown.

Senior officials can reprioritize during an extended shutdown, focus on valuable results and weed out the saboteurs. We do not want most employees to return, because we are working better without them.

The saboteurs cannot be fired per se because of ridiculous civil service regulations, but they can be furloughed and furloughs exceeding 30 days can become permanent lay-offs under the rules.

For those who can’t be furloughed due to tenure or other factors, they can be retained but transferred from their snug Washington sinecures to say…. Adak Island to count ptarmigans. Unless of course they choose to quit.

Smaller government. Who says it can’t be done?

You’re not and neither is the Rones.

Go to bed, and sleep it off, JC. You’re drunk and raving on about “Rones” whoever that is. “Rones”, Johanna, BrettW and Satp seem to have taken up residence in your head. You spend all your time on this blog, raving about them.

52. feelthebern

Fun fact.
    Its the 16th of Jan.
    I haven’t had a drink since the 29th Dec.

Jupes
    There are very complex supply chains in Europe. UK industrial companies have continually said Brexit will hurt them big time. Believe them. If the UK drops hard out of the EU, it means they immediately fall to WTO trade rules, which is terrible for an economy used to trading freely within the EU.

Moreover the EU are being canutes because they are using the UK as a lesson learning experience for the rest.

The best outcome is they get a Swiss or Finnish deal.

54. 2dogs

UK goes like this.
    Vote doesn’t get up.
    May resigns.
    Elections called. <- doubtful
    JC gets up. <- doubtful
    New referendum.
    BREXIT overturned. <- not as certain as you might think. And if not, what then?

55. Infidel Tiger

I like stone & wood.

There are some awesome beers around.

Alcohol choice has never been better, it’s just so freaking expensive because of our insane taxes.

If you ran on a campaign to reduce excise and make housing affordable you would grab 60+% of the yoof vote.

56. Infidel Tiger

Brexit hurts the Krauts and French far more than the UK if the EU plays hardball.

The Bavarian’s are very very worried about what is happening. They will lose access to one of their biggest markets

JC is a Remainer of course, because he is a corporate stooge.

57. feelthebern

Channel surfing.
    Breaker Morant is on.
    That & Two Hands are the best Aussie dramas ever made.

Rones

Stop the hallucinations as it doesn’t work. No one believes you about anything.

By the way, Rooster hates liars and topperers. Have you told him how you told us you have a stock position in BHP valued at over $30 million? You innumerate imbecile. I don’t ever get tired of beating you up as you totally deserve it.

59. feelthebern

If I was a Brit, I’d leave regardless of the cost.
    But my view is the deep state, the swampies have sabotaged it so cvnt-like, that they will end up remaining.

60. None

Very nice Zatara. No wonder Trump is not worried. I’ve always maintained that if you blew away 50% of our public sector no one would notice but I’m starting to think that percentage maybe higher.

Interesting that somebody above repeated Trump’s tweet about the football team eating all the hamburgers. I saw the video of him welcoming the players and saying he was going to be curious how much was going to be left over. He repeated that a few times so I’m guessing there was a point to all that but I’m not sure what it is.

Artie

I’m a lover not a fighter. I’m a nothinger.

Let me remind you that I was the only fucker here on the day of the vote saying that an exit would take much longer that you all believed and it would be very painful for Britain. So far I’ve been proved right.

Meanwhile there was the likes of you, Fiskinator and several others telling me I was an idiot and how this would unshackle Britain and it’s economy would be much better off. How’s that prediction working out?

62. Snoopy

Do WTO trade rules prohibit 20 ‘Syrian immigrants’ in every truck load of components leaving Calais for Dover? That would be a serious negative.

feelthebern
    #2908407, posted on January 16, 2019 at 12:24 am
    If I was a Brit, I’d leave regardless of the cost.

Sure that’s a decent position to have, but it was never going to be costless. The immigration issue is really the problem. That island is over 70 million people. It could be even more because they have zero control on inward EU immigration.

But the exit is not something to sneeze at.

64. jupes

There are very complex supply chains in Europe.

Doesn’t matter. If they just leave and the Euros want to play hard ball, stiff shit. Freedom is worth any short term pain.

UK industrial companies have continually said Brexit will hurt them big time.

Fuck them. They are part of the deep state industrial complex benefiting from the globalist scam. If they are any good they will find new markets once they are kicked off the gravy train.

65. Infidel Tiger

Britain is tracking much better than the EU and once the break is made will be doing even better.

But as I constantly remind you, life is not economics. Culture and self determination are far more important than saving 3£ on your imported diamanté encrusted loafers.

It’s not that simple Jupes. These supply chains aren’t just final products. They’re components and shit like that. Moreover, it increasingly looks like Crobyn will get in next time. That cost alone will fuck Britain for a generation or more.

67. The A.D.

Globalists have fought back ruthlessly since the glorious days of 2016’s Brexit and Trump election.
    The future looks thusly:
    Trump either gone in 2020 or a lame duck.
    Brexit either thwarted or delayed or delivered in name only.
    A Shorten federal government and maybe wall to wall state Labor here.
    Further systematic dismantling of power grids with the poor and industries priced out and the well- off moving to subsidized solar and power-walls, insulated against the resulting massive disruption.
    Left of centre parties across the Anglosphere moving further radical progressive and cleaning out their old centrists.
    Traditionally conservative parties filling even further with vacuous careerists and non- conservative types, divorced from their base and clueless as to how to regain power.
    The Queen will cark it in the early 2020’s and Charlie will politicize the Crown with his green stupid crap.
    No border wall in the US and any moves to stem illegal immigration now regarded as racist. This will spread to other Anglo countries too.
    Rapid escalation in the pace of change as globalists realise they weathered the storm.

68. Infidel Tiger

I reckon in next 25 years we will see the break up of Germany too.

Such an evil nation. We should have nuked them and still can.

But as I constantly remind you, life is not economics.

The economics could very well mean a proto-communist and political party is elected government next time around. You can stick culture in the bin, because the “culture” they create will be an abomination. Worried about Sharia law gaining a foot hold in the UK? Watch the Labor Party introduce it. You’re mad.

A.D

Don’t keep knives or razor blades in the house.

71. zyconoclast

An injured single mother truck driver has lost her unfair dismissal claim against mining giant Rio Tinto after she refused a redeployment offer that she said would have left her children without a carer.

Perth woman Elaina Tito was driving haul trucks on a fly-in, fly-out roster at Rio Tinto’s Mesa A Pilbara iron ore mine when she injured her neck on the job in 2013.

She returned to the role in 2014 but by July 2016 aggravated the injury and had spinal surgery. She returned to work again but lasted just 90 minutes before the pain forced her to stop.

72. Colonel Crispin Berka, King's Fusiliers Corps.

Can the Right meme?

It’s sort of funny. The guy is a bit all over the shop politically, doesn’t mind trashing the Libs but also not above laughing at Bill Shorten either. Hope you get equal parts indignation and hilarity when watching.

How so. Gives us more than a couple of sentences detailing how it gets better.

74. Snoopy

A.D. gives me the shits. I hate optimists.

75. Infidel Tiger

How so. Gives us more than a couple of sentences detailing how it gets better.

Many many fries.

76. zyconoclast

They both married men called Brian, now they’re marrying each other

They met on a dating app, like to tell people they met at Bunnings, and believe they bring out the best in each other.

It’s these simple facts, summarised in around 100 words, that have won Canberra couple Bella Insch and Mhera Nelson a fancy, $25,000 wedding at the National Gallery of Australia as part of its summer blockbuster exhibition.

The pair won the competition after Ms Insch, an art therapist from Reid, noticed the gallery was running a competition to tie in with Love & Desire: Pre-Raphaelite Masterpieces from the Tate.

On a whim, she jotted down 100 words about her love for Ms Nelson – and their joke about meeting at the “lesbian church” of Bunnings – and pressed send.

77. The A.D.

The big, big, big thing the Globalist had to avoid was Brexit while Trump is in a position to influence trade deals.
    They did not want an Anglosphere free trade bloc.
    Not at all.

Wifey’s childhood girlfriend was found dead in her home after five days. She had a bad drinking problem and recently found to have diabetes.

It just terrible how she died. I met her in my 20s and always recall her as a really sweet girl, but drink took hold of her and she became a recluse. Wifey was weeping all evening. They were like sisters when growing up.

79. jupes

Maybe. That would be a disaster if it happens.

Nevertheless, the answer sure as hell isn’t giving up national sovereignty to a bunch of European bureaucrats.

AD

Britain is inextricably linked to Europe. An Anglo world trade deal means shit because we have nothing more to trade with each other. At least it wont be earth shattering. Trump is generally terrible with trade anyway as he doesn’t understand it. The fat fuck thinks the US loses $450 billion to the Chinese each year. Loses! Nonsense. He’s good on all other things, but not trade.

81. feelthebern

If the Brits do exit, it will be a like python swallowing a pig.
    Very lumpy & you really don’t know how long its going to take.
    If they do, it will be 10-15 years before you’ll be able to say it worked or it didn’t.

Regarding the freedom bit.
    The current swamp in the UK parliament is only marginally better than the swamp in Europe.
    Don’t overstate it.

Don’t overstate it.

Lol.. Eggsactly.

83. feelthebern

Oh & the Tories have covered themselves in glory, haven’t they.

Bern

No, but they aren’t anywhere as bad as Corbyn. Let’s try and get a grip here.

85. The A.D.

Mustangs are better than Renaults.

Mustangs are better than Renaults.

They’re both terrible cars.

87. The A.D.

Scotch is better than vermouth or Sambuca.

88. feelthebern

One must drive an Audi if possible.
    Driving bliss.

89. feelthebern

Gin is better than scotch.
    I’ve started drinking that Hendricks gin.

90. The A.D.

Ketchup and Worcestershire sauce are both better than sauerkraut.

91. DrBeauGan

JC
    #2908436, posted on January 16, 2019 at 12:57 am
    Mustangs are better than Renaults.

They’re both terrible cars.

Don’t tell Spiky. She loves her Mustang. She loves the vroom-vroom noise it makes when she puts her foot down.

Scotch is better than vermouth or Sambuca.

What’s the point. French wine is better than English wine with dinner. Scotch should be after dinner, unless sprinkled on haggis.

Bern

Audis have always been gay.

94. Infidel Tiger

Gin is easily the best spirit.

As far as cars go that Indian model is looking better and better these days. I think it’s called Jaguar.

96. zyconoclast

German businesses watch Brexit with bated breath

No less than 43 percent of Germany’s industrial companies believe there will be a hard Brexit when talking about how the UK is going to exit the European Union, says a study by the Munich-based ifo economic research institute.

Three-fifths of the firms polled say they’d be affected by a hard Brexit, to varying degrees, depending on how closely production chains in Britain and the European mainland are intertwined.

97. The A.D.

Boeing is better than Airbus.

98. feelthebern

Audis are more durable than BMW’s these days & are not as pretentious as Mercs.

99. feelthebern

Boeing is better than Airbus.

Boeing is definitely safer than Airbus.

Infidel Tiger
    #2908444, posted on January 16, 2019 at 1:03 am
    Gin is easily the best spirit.

Negronis are a great aperitif.

Cocktail Recipe. Negroni. 1 oz (30ml) Dry gin. 1 oz (30ml) Campari. 1 oz (30ml) Sweet vermouth. Orange twist. Combine gin, Campari, and sweet vermouth into a mixing glass. Add ice and stir.

Gin fucks me up though. You get an immediate lift, but the fall is fast too and takes you lower than where you started.

101. feelthebern

Only Persians drive BMW’s.
    Only old people with panama hats drives Mercs.

102. DrBeauGan

Jaguars should be renamed cane toads. That’s what the later versions look like. Jaguar my arse.

103. feelthebern

Speaking of Mercs (or MERCs), has Paul Sheehan turned up anywhere?
    He must have been boned from Fairfax 3 years ago.

I don’t know how Brexit will affect the UK in the end, but some here suggest that somehow the UK economy is all dependent on the EU and it is only they who are going to suffer.

105. Infidel Tiger

McDonald’s is the best company on earth.

106. The A.D.

Corn and malted barley are both superior to couscous.

107. Infidel Tiger

The two ugliest cars I have ever seen are the Rolls Royce and Bentley SUVs.

My god they are hideous.

Only Arabs could buy those.

109. DrBeauGan

Is that Orion, Mark A?

The A.D.
    #2908440, posted on January 16, 2019 at 1:01 am

Ketchup and Worcestershire sauce are both better than sauerkraut.

Only because people don’t know how to cook it. Hint, it needs other ingredients, it’s a part of a dish not the whole of it.
    I kinda got to like it since I’ve been living here.

All things being equal, that would be about right. The rest are trading with each other inside the EU. The UK is on the outside. It would hurt the others, but the dramatic impact will be on the EU. Think about it.

DrBeauGan
    #2908460, posted on January 16, 2019 at 1:16 am

Is that Orion, Mark A?

Finally someone got it.
    Yes it is. Always wanted to be an astronomer but my father pointed out the drawbacks, and said I can be one as an amateur and enjoy it just the same.

He was right, as nearly always

113. The A.D.

Coke is better than Perrier.

114. Top Ender

Gin is housewife’s ruin.

Scotch eggs are vastly under-rated. Take too long to make though.

but the dramatic impact will be on the UK.

From Whinging Old Bastards;

They say English surnames all had a meaning, as in, “Smiths” Were Blacksmiths.
    “Taylors”, Were Tailors
    What the fuck did the Dickinsons do?

117. DrBeauGan

Is that Orion, Mark A?

Finally someone got it.
    Yes it is.

It seems to be missing the dagger, the middle star of which is the great nebula,M 42. But I can’t increase the size much, so may be missing it.

118. DrBeauGan

What the fuck did the Dickinsons do?

They were the sons of Dickon. Short for Richard.

DrBeauGan
    #2908468, posted on January 16, 2019 at 1:30 am

Is that Orion, Mark A?

Yes I know, but I got frustrated with the limitations of gravatar and settled on this one.
    Beats meerkats by a mile anyway.

No offense Arky.
    BTW what happens with that hole under the back seat, that you cut out to clear the cross beam?
    Just leave it? Won’t dirt an stuff get in?

An important editorial in First Things by R.R. Reno: A FAILING PAPACY.
    Authoritative and brutal.

121. Oh come on

The two ugliest cars I have ever seen are the Rolls Royce and Bentley SUVs.

My god they are hideous.

Outside of East Asia, who would possibly want one? Apparently they’re extremely well-engineered. Maybe they need to prove themselves in battle.

122. Tintarella di Luna

Well nothing like slamming the gate when the horse’s bolted: Construction regulation overhaul after Opal Tower strife
    NSW’s $25 billion construction industry faces a regulatory overhaul following a damning report that found “a number of construction and design issues” with Sydney’s troubled Opal Tower.

The Australian can reveal that the NSW minister in charge of regulation, Matt Kean, has told the peak body representing the nation’s building surveyors he is planning to introduce a “broader suite of reforms” in coming weeks.

Mr Kean has also spoken to several other groups and key industry experts, and it is understood he plans to take the proposed reforms — which would regulate engineers, builders, ­architects and other building practitioners — to cabinet as early as this week.

The move by the Better Regulation Minister to introduce sweeping reforms came as three independent experts released an interim report that found failures in the way the Opal Tower was designed and built.

There were “significant rectification works” needed, Mark Hoffman from the University of NSW, said yesterday in a media conference alongside Planning Minister Anthony Roberts.

“A number of design and construction issues have been identified,” said the report by Professor Hoffman, UNSW professor Stephen Foster and University of Newcastle professor John Carter.

GRAPHIC: Problems that fell through the cracks

More than 300 apartment owners and residents face further months of uncertainty despite suffering a “nightmare” experience for the past 22 days.

On Christmas Eve, hundreds of people were evacuated from the 36-storey, 392-apartment tower at Sydney’s Olympic Park after they heard loud bangs and saw large cracks appear. Since then, there have been five simultaneous investigations of the tower, including the one commissioned by the government: one from the builder, Icon Co; another from the structural engineering firm, WSP; one by third-party engineers, Rincovitch; and one by the body corporate’s firm, Cardno.

The chair of Opal Tower’s body corporate, Shady Eskander, spoke out for the first time yesterday to demand the building be fixed.

“We have suffered. I can say on behalf of all the owners, people were buying into the Australian dream and unfortunately this has become an Australian nightmare for us,” he said.

“There are 392 apartments — each one has their story. Some of these stories have not come out yet … The tree is not going to fall, but the branches are cracking.”

The quality and speed of construction has been on the national agenda in recent weeks, and early next month the nation’s building ministers will meet to discuss plans for nationwide reforms.

In February last year, con­struction lawyer Bronwyn Weir and former secretary of the ­Department of Prime Minister and Cab­inet Peter Shergold released a report reviewing the ­nation’s building and construction industry.

Their report made 24 recommendations, including regis­tration of all major building practitioners, powerful regulators and a public audit strategy for commercial buildings. The report was put before the national meeting of state ministers, known as the Building Ministers’ Forum.

It is understood Mr Kean’s ­office has contacted Ms Weir and Mr Shergold about the reforms, and has spoken to the Australian Institute of Building Surveyors and has sought to meet Engineers Australia officials.

Troy Olds, president of the Australian Institute of Building Surveyors, discussed the reforms in a phone call with a senior official from Mr Kean’s office last week.

“The NSW government intends to introduce a broader suite of reforms to the regulation of the building and construction industry in that state,” Mr Olds told AIBS’s members in a statement.

“We understand the minister and his staff are preparing a detailed document around the proposed reforms. While we have not been given full details as yet, we are assured the reforms will be in line with recommendations contained in the Shergold (and) Weir Report to the Building Ministers’ Forum (BMF), titled Building Confidence. We understand the reforms will include regulation of all practitioners in the industry and building surveyors and certifiers will not be singled out.”

Brent Jackson, the executive general manager of strategy and transformation at Engineers Australia, confirmed Mr Kean’s office had been in touch to discuss reforms. “The main topic is the Shergold and Weir report,” he said.

“We’ve been talking about this for many years. To date, we’ve got not a lot of response from both sides of politics in NSW … Our ­advice to Matt Kean and other organisations is to develop a timetable to implement all of the recommendations.”

The expert report on the Opal Tower released yesterday investigated levels three, four, nine, 10, 16 and 26, as well as basement level B3, over the past three weeks.

It found evidence of inadequate grouting, an incomplete metal bar, incorrectly manufactured precast panels and poorly designed connections between columns and panels.

This is what passes for a cartoon at Fakefacts. As Paul Zanetti notes on his Twitter feed, this little trollop (Cathy Wilcox) hates Australia.

Peter Brookes observes that, in the runup to today’s Brexit vote, Remainer Theresa May has even been sucking up to the unions and British Labour.

125. bespoke

None
    #2908200, posted on January 15, 2019 at 8:45 pm
    So Elle, who once confessed to Brazilians now confesses that she does anal.
    Next.

Proof that the right has it own share of frighbats. It was only the other day you enlisted Elle as one of the sisterhood for being picked on by the men hear. And no unlike others I don’t buy the me to crap and think its some reword in a S an M game she plays. I don’t do pandering even for people for people I agree with occasionally and suggest those that do, need to have a safety word and don’t turn you back on her.

126. Megan

Thanks Tom. The shutdown and the wall are dominating the US toons. I appreciate your work.

127. miltonf

Tom you really wonder how much longer a zombie like the SMH can keep going. Does it actually make any money?

128. johanna

Vivid demonstration of how lefties superimpose their prejudices on reality here:

Webb interjected: “How do I have the privilege of white privilege?”

Martin answered: “David, by virtue of being a white male, you have white privilege.”

Webb replied:

Areva, I hate to break it to you, but you should have been better prepped. I’m black … See, you went to white privilege. This is the falsehood in this. You went immediately with an assumption … You’re talking to a black man who started out in rock radio in Boston, who crossed the paths into hip-hop, rebuilding one of the greatest black stations in America, and went on to work for Fox News, where I’m told apparently blacks aren’t supposed to work, but yet you come with this assumption and you go to white privilege. That’s actually insulting!

Martin apologized. “My people gave me wrong information.”

CNN interviewer cannot conceive that a black man would have such opinions. Then, the interviewer throws her staff under the bus when she is called out.

Of course, it is not racist to assume that skin colour determines political opinions. Not at all.

A great gotcha, and I’m sure that Webb will enjoy the recollection for many years to come.

Yes, Pete m: the Paywallian reports May has lost the House of Commons Brexit vote 432 to 202. She will resign in the next 24 hours.

130. Snoopy

Jeremy Corbyn has tabled a confidence motion to be debated tomorrow.

131. pete m

Tom, I am not sure she will go so soon. She would survive the no confidence motion and then her mps will see if she gets eu to cave on the Irish border issue. Big stumbling block to her deal. Hard brexit still looks most likely at this stage.

That’s perfect, Joh.

What a cowardly racist. They are what they pretend to hate.

133. Mother Lode

Fun fact.
    Its the 16th of Jan.
    I haven’t had a drink since the 29th Dec.

A-HA!

That is why you have suddenly been so admiring of vegan discipline (when you find it)!

Just had a closer look at Wilcox’s cartoon. It’s a perfect bookend to Joh’s Breitbart link.

These pathetic excuses for “news” can’t fold fast enough.

135. miltonf

A putsch by the political class to take Britain in in ’72. Another putsch in ’19 to keep Britain in. Westminster style democracy is a bit of a sham.

136. johanna

Oh dear, scrolling through last night’s comments, our resident wrongologist (although not quite as reliable as Monty) came up with this gem:

(i) He’s not good on all other things; and

(ii) screen trading is not business.

Apart from Monty, JC is truly a great example of why a narrow ability for making money does not demonstrate brains or judgement in any other field.

137. Mother Lode

I am going to Maccas today. I am going to go up to the counter and say:

I’ll have a Trump meal: that’s a hamberder, many many fries, and a cup of covfefe. Make it to go go GO!!!

That’s true Winning! Mother Lode. 🍔🍟☕️🎉

I wonder if you get a toy with that meal?

Toy suggestions… 🔫 ⚔️💣

Germany now in recession!!!!

Uh oh, 1930s here we come?

It’s as if they elected Elvis Presley President.
    Burgers, babes and big hair.

142. johanna

I hoped that engineers at least had not been subsumed into the Green Blob.

Any real professional would be embarrassed by a title like this. WTF does it mean?

May had argued that rejecting the agreement would lead either to a reversal of Brexit — overturning voters’ decision in the 2016 referendum — or to Britain leaving the bloc without a deal. Economists warn that an abrupt break from the EU could batter the British economy and bring chaotic scenes at borders, ports and airports.

But of course it was always the first option. May loses and wins simultaneously.

I love the “economists warn” phrase. It’s in the same turd filled bucket of weasel words as “climate scientists warn”, “nutritionists warn”, “envirnomentalists warn”, blah, blah, blah.

Oh to have a para that begins “the people warn…”.

Is None•ty Jack giving up shaving for Januhairy?
    Shades of Septimus IMO.

145. min

How could May negotiate a positive result from Brexit when she did not want it in the first place? A psychological impossibility, negotiating whilst in the middle of cognitive dissonance, how much heart and belief in what she was doing?

146. Mother Lode

It still has touched any of her underpinning assumptions.

If Webb was able to achieve so much without ‘white privilege’, then how can you simply say that simply being white bestows privilege, rather than the white people have been successful have also done so by dint of effort and discipline?

If Webb is not experiencing it as a obstacle, then it can’t at the same time be boosting for others.

If white people seem more successful in life, maybe it is because they come from more stable homes, aspire to stable home lives, and are brought up being told they are responsible for themselves, and that they should be ready to take on even shitty jobs to provide for kith and kin.

As opposed to growing up convinced whatever it is is someone else’s fault (against whom you are entitled to extract revenge), brought up by a single mother with a flickering parade of her boyfriends who aren’t around long enough to make any lasting impression, forming aspirations from the lyrics in sociopathic rap songs about bitches, hos and crime, and a generally predatory attitude toward other people – starting with your neighbours.

147. Elle

So Elle, who once confessed to Brazilians now confesses that she does anal.
    Next.

Yes, I saw None had said that.

I have never confessed to either. If giving a different view on the two is confessing to it … meh.

WTF does it mean?

He’s a Transformer. More than meets the eye.

I’m tipping a Decepticon, with the emphasis on “con”.

149. Mother Lode

Surely one of the baseline criteria for any cartoon is that it at least makes a stronger impression than the same thing written in longhand.

Wilcox’s cartoon added absolutely nothing to the (silly) point, and I think weakened it.

150. Elle

Hair and the rear often get commented on here, which is amusing. I was simply joining in on the convo.

151. feelthebern

many many fries

Mother Lode, when ordering, please ensure you have a mini pause between the first many & the second many.
    Trumpy would like that.

From Tinta’s link:

Oh, joy! Yes please! The building industry needs far more government regulation. It can’t have enough. More please.

💡

Perhaps the government can do all the building, start to finish. Abolish private builders. Then there will be no more cockups.

You know it makes sense.

153. feelthebern

It’s 2019.
    Australia is at war with Syria.
    But Australia played Syria last night in the football/soccer.
    What a time to be alive.

154. mh

Apparently the Tories don’t have a mechanism to get rid of Theresa May because you can’t have a leadership spill within 12 months of the last one.

You hang in there, girl. 😄

155. johanna

Another warm one coming up today in leafy Queanbeyan. It’s already 26C, and only got down to 21C overnight.

The kangaroos have disappeared from the Golf Course, which is weird because it offers food, water and shade. But that seems to happen every year – they go bush like Canberrans heading for the South Coast for a holiday, and come back pregnant with hope or embryos.

156. Mother Lode

Trumpy would like that.

Advice assimilated.

God Emperor though he may be, I think he may have bent the truth a little bit earlier on.

When he said we would get tired of the winning.

I expect Meuller (peevish little twat that he is) will try to make that a basis for recommending criminal charges.

157. feelthebern

May will make a fine opposition leader after her coalition crumbles.

158. Mother Lode

The building industry needs far more government regulation.

Well, the unions will be grateful for it – new requirements will mean new certification.

And increasing the number of infractions they will claim affect their members which can only be washed away be a stream of dollars.

Thanks Tom for the toons:

this little trollop (Cathy Wilcox) hates Australia.

cathy wilcox

160. feelthebern

ML, I love how Bill Barr keeps calling Meullar “Bob”.

161. feelthebern

Another body to be funded by the taxpayer.

162. mh

Snow is a sure sign of warming. And no snow is also a sure sign of warming.

Thousands cut off by Alpine avalanches with hotel among sites struck

Thousands of people remained cut off from the outside world on Tuesday after two weeks of exceptionally heavy snow in the Alps blocked villages and ski resorts.

Snowfall has broken records in many parts of Austria, with as much as ten feet falling in just 15 days in some areas, and more than 41,000 people were cut off from the outside world in the Austrian region of Sazlburg alone.

Snowdrifts as deep as 19 feet have been reported in places, with inhabitants forced to dig their way out of their homes….

163. feelthebern

monty cried himself to sleep last night after Trump won so much yesterday with all those burgers.
    monty: how could you betray me like that?
    then ate a tub of kfc in revenge.

Tintarella di Luna
    #2908481, posted on January 16, 2019 at 5:23 am

GRAPHIC: Problems that fell through the cracks pdf

165. bespoke

Elle
    #2908539, posted on January 16, 2019 at 8:09 am

I wouldn’t worry about it Elle, Its only since the den mistress battered them into submission hopefully they may man up one day.

166. Elle

And that comment of mine about shaving a guy with a Gillette razor, None, I was referring to his head. He was receding so we removed the remaining threads. Why you would go straight to the other end is intriguing, None.
    🤔

167. Beertruk

cohenite
    #2908551, posted on January 16, 2019 at 8:21 am

Coincidence that the trollop’s pic is on TheirGreensALPBC site?

168. feelthebern

Breaking news: Elle shaved down Stimpy.

169. johanna

I remember when May became PM some people here claimed that she would be wonderful, and I said that her record as Home Secretary said otherwise.

The only outstanding quality about her is that she clings to power like a limpet on a rock. She does not have, and never has had, a single principle. Perhaps that’s why the increasingly flaccid and content-free Tory party chose her.

This is a crucial turning point in UK politics. My guess is that the British Bulldog spirit will prevail, and they will leave come what may.

170. feelthebern

JC, i told you JPM would close up on the day.

171. feelthebern

That spirit died when Brit-pop arrived.

Don’t push the Nonebot’s brown button, Elle.
    It looks like someone has, more than once.

173. feelthebern

Didn’t get much coverage overnight.
    From the WSJ.

Huawei CEO Says Company Doesn’t Spy for China, Praises Trump

The founder and CEO of Huawei said his company has never spied for the Chinese government—and never would—as he made a rare public appearance following the arrest of his daughter in Canada.
    “No law requires any company in China to install mandatory back doors,” Ren Zhengfei said. He also praised President Trump as a “great president.”
    Mr. Ren’s comments come as the telecom giant faces challenges on multiple fronts: Huawei CFO Meng Wanzhou is fighting extradition to the U.S., the company has been blocked from several key markets and last week one of its employees was arrested in Poland and charged with espionage.

Mmm…yes.

And Hitler’s territorial aspirations ended with Sudetenland.

175. Baldrick

No doubt we have some classy contributors here.

176. I am spending 20 mins before it gets too hot assaulting the onionweed. As I have said before, the person who works out how to get rid of it deserves the Nobel Prize.

Roundup (Glyphosate) will do the job nicely Johanna.
    Get a mix with most active ingredient 450grams and paint it on the onion weed with a small brush.
    The plant should be late flowering for the best result. The rhizomes underground are then in a stage to take up nutrients from the above ground plant and therefore take up the herbicide.
    Digging it out is a waste of your leisure time.

177. Whalehunt fun

For onion weed I shove the end of the stem and flower into my bottle of roundup concentrate.
    Roundup also gets rid of greenies too. You spray it in the air and tell them what it is they have inhaled. They try to evert their lungs and wash them in organic water.

Ditto Mutti Merkel, of the alleged Right.

179. Mater

I’ve just run across one of those ‘glitches’ in the National Socialism whitewash that I was describing the other day. The text is from Wikipedia. They would have us believe that a party that was formed exclusively from Labour Party members (including Fabians) due to their ‘extreme’ socialist economic beliefs, observed Facism and then suddenly took a ‘sharp turn to the right‘? Seriously?

The New Party was a political party briefly active in the United Kingdom in the early 1930s. It was formed by Sir Oswald Mosley, an MP who had belonged to both the Conservative and Labour parties, quitting Labour after its 1930 conference narrowly rejected his “Mosley Memorandum”, a document he had written outlining how he would deal with the problem of unemployment.

By the end of the First World War, Mosley had decided to go into politics as a Conservative Member of Parliament, as he had no university education or practical experience due to the war. He was 21 years old and had not fully developed his own political views.

By 1924 he was growing increasingly attracted to the Labour Party, which had just formed a government, and in March he joined it. He immediately joined the Independent Labour Party (ILP) as well and allied himself with the left.

Mosley and his wife Cynthia were committed Fabians in the 1920s and at the start of the 1930s. Mosley appears in a list of names of Fabians from Fabian News and the Fabian Society Annual Report 1929–31.

Mosley then made a bold bid for political advancement within the Labour Party. He was close to Ramsay MacDonald and hoped for one of the great offices of state, but when Labour won the 1929 general election he was appointed only to the post of Chancellor of the Duchy of Lancaster, a position without Portfolio and outside the Cabinet. He was given responsibility for solving the unemployment problem, but found that his radical proposals were blocked either by his superior James Henry Thomas or by the Cabinet.

Mosley was always impatient and eventually put forward a whole scheme in the “Mosley Memorandum”, which called for high tariffs to protect British industries from international finance, for state nationalisation of main industries, and for a programme of public works to solve unemployment. However, it was rejected by the Cabinet, and in May 1930 Mosley resigned from his ministerial position. At the time, the weekly Liberal-leaning paper The Nation described his move: “The resignation of Sir Oswald Mosley is an event of capital importance in domestic politics… We feel that Sir Oswald has acted rightly — as he has certainly acted courageously — in declining to share any longer in the responsibility for inertia.” In October he attempted to persuade the Labour Party Conference to accept the Memorandum, but was defeated again. Thirty years later, in 1961, Richard Crossman described the memorandum: “… this brilliant memorandum was a whole generation ahead of Labour thinking.”

On 6 December 1930, Mosley published an expanded version of the “Mosley Memorandum”, which was signed by Mosley, his wife and fellow Labour MP Lady Cynthia and 15 other Labour MPs.

On 28 February 1931 Mosley resigned from the Labour Party, launching the New Party the following day. The party was formed from six of the Labour MPs who signed the Mosley Manifesto…His economic strategy broadly followed Keynesian thinking and suggested widespread investment into housing to provide work and improve housing standards overall, while also supporting protectionism with proposals for high tariffs walls.

Following the election Mosley toured Europe and became convinced of the virtues of Fascism. Gradually, the New Party became more authoritarian, with parts of it (notably its youth movement NUPA) adopting overtly fascist thinking. The New Party’s sharp turn to the right led previous supporters such as John Strachey and Harold Nicolson to leave it.

180. feelthebern

Also buried overnight.
    Huawei announced revenue growth of 21% for 2018.
    That was US108.5bill.
    It’s a private company so it’s numbers can not be verified.

181. Black Ball

Front page of today’s Hun reveals that flight attendants were used as mules to smuggle heroin into Melbourne. Shouldn’t be a biggie, just say you are an addict and you will be ushered by Premier Andrews to the nearest safe injecting house.

Looks like the asylum issued smartphone is still in the store; 14 more hours of rabid posting, Septimus?

183. Infidel Tiger

Burger King
    Burger King
    @BurgerKing

due to a large order placed yesterday, we’re all out of hamberders.
    just serving hamburgers today.

184. mh

Appearing soon on a Trump tweet:

CNN legal analyst Areva Martin accuses David Webb of ‘white privilege’ before learning he’s black

It was a rough day for author and CNN legal analyst Areva Martin on Tuesday.

Martin accused Sirius XM radio and Fox Nation host David Webb of “white privilege” during a segment on a radio program before he broke the news.

“Areva, I hate to break it to you, but you should’ve been better prepped. I’m black,” Webb said….

185. johanna

I’ve tried Roundup in the past and it hasn’t worked – perhaps, like socialism, I wasn’t doing it right.

Persian monarchy of 2500 years ended with fall of Shah Mohammad Reza Pahlavi
    Troy Lennon, History Editor, The Daily Telegraph
    January 16, 2019 12:00am

Trouble had been brewing in Iran for years, but tensions seemed to be coming to a climax in late 1978. The ailing Shah of Iran, Mohammad Reza Pahlavi, faced nationwide protests, riots and a threat of a coup by the military. The world watched in fearful anticipation of what might happen and an international conference on Iran was convened on January 5, 1979. The Shah was urged by many to leave the country.

Just a few days later, on January 16, 1979, the man who had ruled Iran for 37 years finally boarded a plane and left. Officially it was for a winter holiday in Egypt, but he would never return. His departure marked the end of 2500 years of monarchy in the land once known as Persia.

In subsequent months cleric Ruhollah Khomeini would emerge as a leader of what would become a full-fledged revolution, one that would rock the world and have repercussions still being felt today.

Jimmy Carter supposedly urged the Shah to quit.

Magnificent headline:

Gillette Tells Men They´re Repulsive Creeps. Now Give Them Your Money, You Piece of Garbage

Been using Gillette disposables for decades, but next time I shop for razors I’ll be checking out the other brands.

188. bespoke

Reason 1++ of over compensating doing the opposite to what’s clamed.

Understanding’ Ourselves to Death

On January 16, 1991, President George H. W. Bush announced the start of what would be called Operation Desert Storm—a military operation …

190. johanna

Gotta get out there and water – it was 40c yesterday and today looks like being the same today.

Giant Kangaroo Paws are magnificent – I’ve got a couple of displays inside and lots more in the garden. They love this weather, as long as they get watered. And, they attract tiny hummingbirds that sup the nectar. These things sell for up to $10 a stalk in fancy shops in Europe.

I am pruning my $5 Coles rose, after it produced dozens and dozens of small, short-lived yellow flowers. All that mystique about pruning roses is balderdash – in Australia at least. The bottom line is, you can’t kill them with an axe once they are established. And, cutting just makes them try harder.

Calli, how does your garden grow?

Eradicating onionweed starts with removing any as many of the plants as possible. Do not try to pull the plant out of the ground, or shake excess dirt back off into the hole or compost. The small bulblets tend to pull away from the mother plant when pulled, which leaves more bulbs in the ground that will rapidly grow. If possible, dig the weed-clump out of the ground with a spade or a trowel, and throw the entire clump away. The next step to total eradication of onionweed is to treat the area with either a non-selective herbicide (like Roundup / Glyphosate) or even boiling water*.

*Pretty effective, IME.

They can sit and stubbornly vote against her every time.

Gradually the message will become apparent.

193. Stimpson J. Cat

By this time tomorrow the only people using Gillette will be Male Cyclists to shave their legs.

UK Trade with the EU matters a lot, but slightly less than it used to

About 44% of UK exports in goods and services went to other countries in the EU in 2017—£274 billion out of £616 billion total exports.

That share has generally been declining, since exports to other countries have increased at a faster rate.

Trade with the EU matters a lot, but slightly less than it used to

That share has generally been declining
    , since exports to other countries have increased at a faster rate.

The EU’s share of the world economy has been declining too. In particular, the developing world has been growing faster than the developed world and is expected to continue doing so.

195. Stimpson J. Cat

George Papadopoulos
    @GeorgePapa19
    Two words: Dragon FISA
    3:24 AM · Jan 16, 2019

Dragon Energy!!!!!!

Criticism Sydney Festival has lost its spark and appeal after small turnout
    Danielle Gusmaroli and Henry Lynch, The Daily Telegraph
    January 15, 2019 8:00pm

A probation officer ­encourages real life ex-cons to confess on stage why they broke the law.

A semi-naked actor sits in his jocks in the bathtub in a boutique hotel room musing about life.

An Aboriginal artist operates a currency exchange swapping Aussie dollars for “blood money”.

Welcome to Sydney Festival 2019. The zany and ­bizarre acts in the annual arts’ summertime program has sparked criticism the 42nd festival has lost its spark and public appeal.

A lacklustre launch that attracted fewer than 100 fans to the festival village Hyde Park has been compared ­unfavourably to the huge crowds that thronged to the free First Night parties of previous festivals, last seen in 2014.

197. Stimpson J. Cat

Jean-Claude Juncker
    @JunckerEU
    I take note with regret of the outcome of the vote in the
    @HouseofCommons
    this evening. I urge the #UK to clarify its intentions as soon as possible. Time is almost up #Brexit

(link: http://europa.eu/rapid/press-release_STATEMENT-19-432_en.htm) europa.eu/rapid/press-re…
    3:52 AM · Jan 16, 2019

Nigel Farage
    @Nigel_Farage
    A catastrophic failure of leadership by
    @Theresa_May
    . If she has any sense of honour then she will resign.
    4:05 AM · Jan 16, 2019

198. Snoopy

This tweet has a certain ITish flavour to it in my opinion.

Ricky Gervais
    Ricky Gervais
    @rickygervais
    I used to love beating up kids at barbecues. Now I realise that is wrong. Also, my [email protected] have never been smoother. Thanks, Gillette.

199. Stimpson J. Cat

Except IT doesn’t shave his balls.
    Grigs polishes them.

Norman Schwarzkopf Sr.
    He was the father of General Norman Schwarzkopf Jr., the commander of all Coalition forces for Operation Desert Shield/Storm.
    Schwarzkopf Sr. was posted to Iran in 1942 owing to the efforts of Mohammad Vali Mirza Farman Farmaian and was tasked with organizing the Iranian police after the UK-Soviet intervention that made Iran an Allied protectorate.[1] His recruits, the Gendarmerie, were active in suppressing the Soviet-inspired attempt to destabilize Iran by backing separatists in Azerbaijan and Kurdistan (Mahabad). For his work in Iran, Schwarzkopf was awarded the Distinguished Service Medal.

Januhairy.