Wednesday Forum: March 4, 2020

1,956 Responses to Wednesday Forum: March 4, 2020

1. DrBeauGan

Introverted and introspective are not the same though are they. Solving PDEs is not usually a social activity.

That’s what computers are for. Computers are very introverted.

2. NoFixedAddress

Infidel Tiger
    #3343375, posted on March 4, 2020 at 8:04 pm

Melbourne was once Australia’s most conservative city.

Home of the blue bloods.

Now it is an open latrine of socialist filth thanks to the wonders of immigration and education.

What do you expect of gold bugs who came to believe they were the original Masters of the Universe?

3. Stimpson J. Cat

The only truly validated personality profile test is OCEAN. I won’t go near any of them including OCEAN. I can’t see the point in individuals doing a test that measures their behavior by comparing it against some group average. It’s a self report test. Ha!

Why would anyone trust any personality tests done by anyone except Scientologists?
    Their tests are the best AND FREE!!!

PS:

It’s incredibly refreshing watching all you Sane people run around like Mentally Ill people fighting each other for toilet paper.
    No one is laughing at the “Crazy Peppers” now!
    Ha ha ha ha ja ja ha!

4. DrBeauGan

From what you have written in your post, you are most likely an introvert. That link explains the personality characteristics in detail.

You’d be astonished how much I don’t care.

Here’s Malcolm Roberts being questioned on the role CO2 plays in the greenhouse effect and trapping heat. Malcolm is the best pollie at this that we have but even he can’t quite get it right:

6. Porter

Huck, you’re too stupid to be a troll as well.

7. Mitch M.

Frank
    #3343388, posted on March 4, 2020 at 8:13 pm
    I don’t see how that’s compatible with being an introvert.

Exactly. Introversion is simply a different orientation towards the world. It is not about looking inward, almost the exact opposite, it is about being interested in how of things. Introspection is most often naval gazing and in some cases can lead to depression.

Since then, I’ve got much more fun by looking at the universe and the weird things in it.

That’s exactly what an introvert would say. Introversion is not avoiding people, it is not being unsociable, it is not having poor social skills. You have misunderstood the meaning.

Is that capsicum or jalapeño , Stimps? Toilet paper may be a factor.

9. Steve trickler

Mark A
    #3343268, posted on March 4, 2020 at 6:19 pm
    Want to see a real ugly car?
    It’s a Fiat.

That car has the potential for greatness. Like this one.

The little Fiat that conquered.

10. Tintarella di Luna

I don’t get the point of quince paste as an accompaniment to cheese. It overwhelms the cheese flavour and is pointless. But hey, each to their own.

Gab it’s great with Roquefort

11. Huck

Porter
    #3343405, posted on March 4, 2020 at 8:30 pm
    Huck, you’re too stupid to be a troll as well.

Fuck off cockhead.
    I was ridiculing Gwen for confusing what you meant by pm.
    And you call me stupid.

12. We’ll just have our old fashioned, plain jane representative democracy back thanks.
    Errr, no. Not going to happen.
    The 80’s be over, yo.
    It’s time to spit on your fkn hands and raise the black flag, bitches.
    Winter is Coming, h/t Rob Stark

13. DrBeauGan

Could well be. That’s because classifying people into types doesn’t interest me. I like figuring out what they’ll do next, but the variety of people is too large for such simplicities as verbal labelling. If a disposition to thinking about things makes me an introvert, is extravert another name for fathead?

14. Stimpson J. Cat

Is that capsicum or jalapeño , Stimps? Toilet paper may be a factor.

The r’s are all sold out as well.
    Don’t ask me why, Sane people behaviour and sp®ll check AI robot behavior cannot be explained by the magnanimous Mentally Ill mind.

15. mh

Coronavirus could cause global medicine shortages as China’s factory closures hit supply chains

China’s efforts to contain the coronavirus by initially shutting down factories and keeping workforces at home could have global ramifications for public health around the world, including regarding diabetes, blood pressure, headaches and fevers.
    As the world’s top producer of active pharmaceutical ingredients, including the ones used to manage those conditions, China’s disrupted factory output has the potential to upset global supply chains, and regulators have been watching with concern..

16. There has never been a moment in the public spotlight when Donald Trump was not brawling with somebody

Did y’all think The Weapon was going to look like Mitt Romney or Tony Abbott?
    Ahahahahaha
    Trump is god

Load kids up with college debt, the promised jobs don’t materialise & they’re left living with mum & dad into their 30s and driving for Uber in their spare time to make ends meet.

Bernie may not get the nomination, but his supporters aren’t going away quietly.

(These are observations, not endorsements, btw.)

It’s the reverse side of the Trump phenomenon.

When people lose their stake in society the old rules no longer apply.

18. Some History

Donald J. Trump
    @realDonaldTrump

6h
    The biggest loser tonight, by far, is Mini Mike Bloomberg. His “political” consultants took him for a ride. $700 million washed down the drain, and he got nothing for it but the nickname Mini Mike, and the complete destruction of his reputation. Way to go Mike!

The r’s are all sold out as well.

Interlopers! You get all the punctuation and I’ll grab what’s left.

20. mh

Biden then grabbed his wife’s hand and introduced her as his sister, saying “this is my little sister Valerie and I’m Jill’s husband.” After realizing the two were on opposite sides, he acknowledged the embarrassing mix up.

“Oh no, they switched on me. This is my wife, this is my sister, they switched on me,” he then explained.

21. I still laugh at a Chinese buffet plate of meat, gravy, seafood and chocolate cake. All on the same plate.

Washed down with a Chardonnay glass filled to the brim with Grange & Coke.

22. No one is laughing at the “Crazy Peppers” now!

Winston, completely vindicated.
    Oh, how we laughed!

23. Eyrie

Cormann is the EUrian candidate. An EU sleeper agent infiltrated into the Australian government.

24. NoFixedAddress

Porter
    #3343422, posted on March 4, 2020 at 8:42 pm

Apologies Huck.

talk about lol.

Cormann was taking the piss at the expense of that weird green senator.

26. Mitch M.

I’m the same. I don’t really get this classification business, especially because it too often encourages people to make sweeping generalisations based on those categories.

I’m not into figuring out what people will do next though, I don’t find people that interesting. That’s being an error on my part because anticipating people is very important in some contexts.

The introversion-extroversion spectrum put quickly: introverts like playing with ideas, extroverts like experience. There is a striking positive correlation between introversion and high intelligence but sadly an inverse correlation between introversion and income. Extroverts tend to be better money makers because they spend more time dealing with people and are focused not on understanding but on making things happen. So perhaps Jung was right: it is an extroverts’ world.

27. Dr Faustus

News of the Great Australian Toilet Paper Panic is currently on high rotation on UK radio.

You have no idea how much fun the DJ’s are having.

28. JD

In days of old when nights were cold
    and women not invented
    They drilled BIG holes
    in telegraph poles
    and they were quite contented
    &nbsp
    In day of old when nights were cold
    and paper not invented
    They rubbed their arse
    with tufts of grass
    and they were quite contended

29. Philip Haney, a Department of Homeland Security (DHS) whistleblower who was an outspoken critic of the administration of former President Barack Obama, was found dead Friday, about 40 miles east of Sacramento, Calif., local authorities said.

Haney, 66, “appeared to have suffered a single, self-inflicted gunshot wound,” the Amador County Sheriff’s Office said in a release. Sheriff and coroner Martin A. Ryan shared the initial details of the case.

Seems legit. Like the others.

30. mh

You have no idea how much fun the DJ’s are having.

This is what the globalists have reduced us to.

Damn them. Damn them to hell.

31. Fat Tony

In days of old when knights were bold,
    And frenchies weren’t invented,
    They’d tie their socks on to their cocks,
    And hope it was prevented.

(St Marys Tba in 1960s)

32. JD

OK, how do I put blank line between line?

33. NoFixedAddress

TailGunner

get the ‘boys’ to use their super to build 9 nuclear power stations.

2 in qld, 2 in nsw, 2 in vic and 2 in wa and 1 on lord howe island.

set up sa and tas to take used rods.

34. Entropy

mh
    #3343424, posted on March 4, 2020 at 8:46 pm

It’s Frank Drebin!

35. miltonf

Did y’all think The Weapon was going to look like Mitt Romney or Tony Abbott?
    Ahahahahaha
    Trump is god

or Corey Bacardi

36. miltonf

So was Cormann taking the piss?

37. So was Cormann taking the piss?

Of course he was.
    Even he’s not that bluddee silly.

38. Some History

It’s not just in Straya
    Hong Kong residents hoard toilet paper, noodles as coronavirus fears mount

Armed Gang Steals Toilet Rolls In Panic-buying Hong Kong

39. DrBeauGan

But I like both. I like experiencing things, and I like thinking about the experiences. And framing hypotheses, and testing them. Maybe I’m both. Which suggests there’s something wrong with the categories. Which would not come as much of a surprise.

I went to Cuba, and have been to other places, in large part to mix with another culture and find out how the people there construe the world. What assumptions do they make about each other? What expectations and objectives do they have? This sounds pretty extravert on your terms.

Worrying about the amount of shonkiness in the linguistic categories of psychologists doesn’t look a very productive use of anyone’s time.

40. Snoopy

Brisbane City Council Labor Mayoral candidate Patrick Condren will offer a $100 cashback to residents who pay their quarterly rates bills in full.

A very Labor policy. The better off home owners get a discount while the poorer pay the full amount of rates which have been necessarily increased to cover the discount given to ‘da rich’.

Is Pat Condren a journalist? He’s stupid enough.

41. NoFixedAddress

miltonf
    #3343443, posted on March 4, 2020 at 9:14 pm

So was Cormann taking the piss?

if communist cars are not rainbow coloured then there is no respect

42. Eyrie

What a good idea, making Comcars grey. Should disappear nicely into the background to be T boned by semis.

43. NoFixedAddress

and all police force should be dressed as trans to prove the equality.

44. Armadillo

Seems legit. Like the others.

These people have no imagination when it comes to suicide. It’s always a gun.

Deserted beach and keep on swimming? Nope. Ply yourself with drugs and go to sleep peacefully? Nope.
    Fake an interest in rock climbing and accidentally fall off? Nope.

Shoot yourself in the back of the head six times? Yeah man. Thats the way to do it.

45. NoFixedAddress

Snoopy
    #3343448, posted on March 4, 2020 at 9:20 pm

so if i pay zero do i still get the 100?

46. Gab

Gab it’s great with Roquefort

Tinta, no, no it’s not. I had Roquefort with lunch today and I relished every morsel. I want to taste the cheese, not the sweet la-de-dah jam they call a “paste”. 😀

47. Bar Beach Swimmer

Winston Smith
    #3343118, posted on March 4, 2020 at 3:33 pm
    Arky:

Covering cancerous beagles in whipped cream, rooting and then eating them – check

Oh, FFS Arky.
    You put the bloody whipped cream on them after you root them. Otherwise they’re too hard to hold.
    Unless you’ve araldited a couple of handles onto their rib cage.

We’re supposedly reading the Cat for free market economics and right of centre politics. But this is so much better than that!😁

Who is this prick who interviewed Malcolm Roberts on SKY; Roberts may as well have been on the abc:

49. NoFixedAddress

Bar Beach Swimmer
    #3343466, posted on March 4, 2020 at 9:32 pm

Winston Smith
    #3343118, posted on March 4, 2020 at 3:33 pm
    Arky:

Oh, FFS Arky.
    Unless you’ve araldited a couple of handles onto their rib cage.

absolute too much winning

50. Mitch M.

Hence my previous reference to the dangers of sweeping generalisations. One of my favourite times after a week of work was to jump on my ridiculously powerful motorcycle and go BS crazy in the early hours of Sunday morning when very stoned. I went early in the morning to avoid the cops. I would even stop at the bottom of a climb and wait as along as possible so that the uphill run was hopefully traffic free. Most would regard that as stupidity. It was dangerous but I loved it because I could time the run so that coming home I’m sitting on 140 ks on the highway going up the centre line but I know that cops are placing radars in the other direction so I was safe from them if not from my need for physical stimulation after a week of reading and thinking.

It relates to another personality dimension: openness to experience. So an introvert with a high level of openness to experience will explore the world in many different ways.

It matters because far too many people take those categories too seriously. That’s why I like debunking the claims of all those tests. Call it a public service.

51. Huck

I think I’d like to boof Tara Rushton.
    She’s not allowed to talk but.

52. Mitch M.

incoherent rambler
    #3343475, posted on March 4, 2020 at 9:40 pm
    duct tape, guys, duct tape

53. Steve trickler

cohenite
    #3343470, posted on March 4, 2020 at 9:35 pm

Heller should be in the country this year? That might have changed. It’ll be fun watch if this doofus asks the same questions to him.

Interviewer: Do you know about ACORN?

Heller: Up, down, left and right and all things in between. Do you?

We shall wait and see.

Bwah, ha, ha, ha.
    The Dow futures are up 2%, allegedly because of the Dimocrat “Super Tuesday” primaries, where a geriatric with early onset dementia beat a geriatric communist millionaire, leaving a 1/8 scale billionaire and a 1/1024th Indian in their wake.
    True story.

55. Infidel Tiger

Mini Mike is going to exit and throw his money Biden.

Fortunately his campaign has proven money means nothing in politics.

56. Snoopy

Matt Canavan stuns the CSIRO speechless. Absolutely no research links climate change and Australian bushfires.

57. NoFixedAddress

Armadillo
    #3343459, posted on March 4, 2020 at 9:27 pm

Seems legit. Like the others.

These people have no imagination when it comes to suicide. It’s always a gun.

Fake an interest in rock climbing and accidentally fall off? Nope.

what about falling off the back of a boat a la the supposed father of epsteins friend
    or being entangled with investigating some bank stuff and threw yourself off a bridge in london though all roads lead to rome.
    or how about some mob that had bank connections with some folk that were looking to make an Australian area called The State of The Riverina.

58. Mitch M.

Dyson acknowledged that the world is getting warmer in some regions. He was skeptical of the models but acknowledged that at some point we will need to address the issue. The difference is that he wasn’t panicking about it and envisioned other approaches.

There is no doubt that parts of the world are getting warmer, but the warming is not global. I am not saying that the warming does not cause problems. Obviously it does. Obviously we should be trying to understand it better. I am saying that the problems are grossly exaggerated. They take away money and attention from other problems that are more urgent and more important, such as poverty and infectious disease and public education and public health, and the preservation of living creatures on land and in the oceans, not to mention easy problems such as the timely construction of adequate dikes around the city of New Orleans.

59. Steve trickler

Owners of such vehicles in Australia. Hold your horses. The value of these cars will skyrocket soon; courtesy of the booming interest in the Unites States. You’ll be in position to make some fine dollars in the future.

A bloke named Cleetus ( and others ) from the USA have basically started a revolution. These vehicles will be like GOLD.

60. Elizabeth (Lizzie) Beare

Dr BG, I really enjoyed your self-absorbed posts from Cuba. And the many self-absorbed experiential posts from most of the regular commenters here.

The Cat would be a very dull place without them, which gives rise to the suspicion that this binary indice, like most such ‘personality’ variables, is a load of old codswallop.

🙂

61. Dave in Marybrook

Snoopy
    Content not found
    ie poked down the memory freckle by their facebook

62. DrBeauGan

A worthy endeavour.

I get pissed off by questions like “Which would you prefer, staying home to watch a movie, or going to a party?” Or: “Which would you prefer, visiting a museum or going to the pub.”

It would depend strongly on the movie and who else was at the party. Or what the museum was (BM, V&A, Louvre vs small town collection of birds eggs) and where the pub was. Trying to decide in the absence of any useful information about the alternatives is possible only for those who are happy with wild generalisations based on worthless default assumptions. The tests assume the testee is extremely stupid, which is no doubt frequently true.

63. jupes

Matt Canavan stuns the CSIRO speechless.

Snoopy. Link not working.

64. Bar Beach Swimmer

He’s supposed to be one of their brightest.

That doesn’t say much.

Did You Know?

The theoretical maximum height a tree can reach (before the energy demands of pushing water against the force of gravity outweigh the energy the tree can expend) is 426 feet (130 meters) tall. Currently, the tallest known living tree in the world is a 380.1 foot (115.85 meter) tall Coastal Redwood tree.

66. Crossie

Roger
    #3343419, posted on March 4, 2020 at 8:40 pm

Trump is trying to explain to them that the reason they are in the situation they are is because of Democrats’ policies of open borders though Republicans were responsible for outsourcing. Trump is offering a remedy but Bernie is offering a revolution.

67. Mick Gold Coast QLD

From Huck at 9:41 pm:

“I think I’d like to boof Tara Rushton.
    She’s not allowed to talk but.”

I have never heard of her so I had a look around. She is married to a bloke with a really silly name, Cooper Cronk. He was a genius rugby league footballer, evidently, but I saw nothing of that. I do recall him winning some important game in the last year or two and sobbing like a sheila on his coach’s shoulder, gripping him as if he’d just been rescued at sea or something.

She is one of the new age powerful girlses who are capable of “expert” commentary on every sport known to man – greyhounds, wood chop, heavyweight boxing, you name it – when she really ought to focus exclusively on synchronised swimming.

68. Crossie

jupes
    #3343493, posted on March 4, 2020 at 10:05 pm
    Matt Canavan stuns the CSIRO speechless.

CSIRO and BoM are now less ethical than the ABC. How the mighty have fallen?

69. Turnip

Has anyone done a full.count of how many people.voted in the GOP coronation as opposed to the DEM battle?

With no advertising or wall to wall cable news coverage The Don had more ppl.turn up to tick his box in TX than all the Dems.

Even California isn’t that far behind

70. Knuckle Dragger

You men (yes, men) should all be ashamed of yourselves.

Has cohabiting with a ladeeeee (or more than one) taught you nothing?

If you’re sharing a house of any sort with a lady person and you have any less than 30 bogrolls stuffed in linen presses and spare cupboardry, you are on very thin ice indeed.

Just the perception they might be down to ten rolls at any point in the next five years and it’s look out.

71. jupes

Matt Canavan stuns CSIRO

Thanks Snoopy.

Excellent work Matt Canavan.

72. NoFixedAddress

can we get back to some serious discussion

Is Juan ton of merde stocking up on toilet rolls?

74. NoFixedAddress

or even better

75. mh

There is a Churchill movie on SBS World Movies at the moment. They portray Britain’s wartime PM as a doddering old man who has lost his mind but occasionally has moments of clarity, enough to deliver a speech.

FFS. Churchill became Britain’s PM again in 1951 serving another 4 years.

76. Knuckle Dragger

Hunter Biden was quoted today after watching a montage of his old man in public over the last fortnight.

He said, ‘oh fuck.’

77. rickw

It’s time to spit on your fkn hands and raise the black flag, bitches.
    Winter is Coming, h/t Rob Stark

Yep!

78. jupes

CSIRO and BoM are now less ethical than the ABC. How the mighty have fallen?

Except none of those agencies have fallen. They are all at the height of their powers and getting away with spreading bullshit on our dime.

79. NoFixedAddress

not forgetting

80. jupes

FFS. Churchill became Britain’s PM again in 1951 serving another 4 years.

Indeed. Churchill was the first prime minister that Queen Liz advised.

Imagine that.

My jury-rigged bidet using the garden hose from outside to save on toilet paper needs more work.
    Specifically, the pressure needs modulating somewhat.
    Also, the water is a tad cool.
    But, desparate times …

82. jupes

On another occasion at a formal dinner with the Queen, Churchill made the toast to her. He stated that the first time he did that it was at his mess last century, only that time he made the toast to her great-grandmother.

Imagine that.

83. rickw

You have no idea how much fun the DJ’s are having.

This is what the globalists have reduced us to.

Damn them. Damn them to hell.

A run on ammo would make sense, but toilet paper??!!

84. Fat Tony

JC
    #3343501, posted on March 4, 2020 at 10:12 pm
    How cool is this.

Obviously not in Australian waters – he would have been arrested and charged with interfering with wildlife or something, and fined $1,000,000

85. Knuckle Dragger

Well, I was hoping to see some discussion upthread about the 2020 Tokyo Olympics at risk of being cancelled after the Nipponese Grand Prix was sacked along with several high falutin’ gymnastics things over there.

Instead, it was the relative merits of quince paste and various cheeses as a cracker accompaniment.

Same same, I guess.

86. NoFixedAddress

Knuckle Dragger
    #3343528, posted on March 4, 2020 at 10:29 pm

Same same, I guess.

death comes in many guises

87. Elizabeth (Lizzie) Beare

Dyson’s comments on the variability hidden within a ‘unitary’ global average are only half the story. The claimed precision re a warming ‘average’ increase in world terms is drawn from land surface-based measurements which produce a result which is well within the margin of error and the measurements are are also both homogenised from the raw data and fabricated for where no land surface measurements exist.

Satellite data from the late 70’s covers both land and sea and does show a warming trend. Ignored however by data smoothing is a real cooling between the 40’s and the 70’a which has since been homogenised out. To claim one degree c in the last hundred years is thus highly dubious while a warming trend of .4 degrees C since the 7o’s is more easily supported. A climategate email said the 40’s blip towards cooling was inexplicable (under the CO2 hypothesis) and asked if ‘we’ could do something about erasing it. lol. We are now in a situation where we are getting more fabricated and ‘smoothed’ data than ever before. Genuine ‘man-made’ global warming, we might cynically say.

In other words, we poor peons may be being pushed to refuse real data that suggests small climatic changes may be cyclical, as we know in previous centuries they certainly were. There is no real evidence that anything unusual is going on. The data is being tweaked to fit the theory.

Dear me, I will say now, in my usual self-absorbed manner. 😀

88. DrBeauGan

Imagine that.

That kind of continuity is valuable. It’s what makes a nation more than a collection of people sharing some geography.

89. Elizabeth (Lizzie) Beare

Linky no worky here on my phone, RickW.

Is this to do with Turkey sending over the hordes?

90. Mitch M.

Knuckle Dragger
    #3343528, posted on March 4, 2020 at 10:29 pm

Same same, I guess.

Furious about the first Moto GP in Qatar cancelled and the second in Thailand postponed.

91. Bar Beach Swimmer

92. Mick Gold Coast QLD

From Leigh Lowe at 10:27 pm:

Specifically, the pressure needs modulating somewhat.
    Also, the water is a tad cool.
    But, desparate times …”

I spotted the bolded words and just knew I should scroll down. You are truly disgusting at times, and that’s a fact! 😉

93. EvilElvis

It’s worth pushing the envelope when one sheet of black&gold wet and dry is fetching $12 with rich public school kids.

94. NoFixedAddress

Mitch M.
    #3343529, posted on March 4, 2020 at 10:31 pm

The Spanish Flu

bloody Trump caused it

95. NoFixedAddress

Elizabeth (Lizzie) Beare
    #3343536, posted on March 4, 2020 at 10:37 pm

much best avatar

I’m hoping Trump’s going to pick up a big chunk of Black votes. He certainly deserves to.

The wishfully thinking leftoid MSM portray him as a raaaacist! and say he won’t get the Black vote.
    Wasn’t his 2IC a Black chick on You’re Fired!*?

A post Election show on SBS portrayed e.g. Subcontinental (Brown) female accountants as shy conservative voters, due to Trump’s influence – aspirational Blacks the same?

*When he was popular with the Left.

97. Elizabeth (Lizzie) Beare

Catallaxy is full of old people who have seen a few things and know the value of their self-absorbed memories lived and historical experiences of continuity. No worries though. Corona virus will finish us and our long memories off soon enough. If scientistic personality theories and glowball warmening don’t stifle us first, that is, although to get a bit self-absorbed about it, my scientific bet is on CoV19. At 77 I am a sitting duck, although as Hairy assures me, not an old duck yet.

In fact the ~.4C occurred between 1976-1979 in something called the Great Pacific Climate Shift which was a phase change between a La Nina dominated -ve PDO from ~1940-1976 to a El Nino dominated +PDO which began in 1976. That .4C temp increase is all the temp increase in the second half of the 20thC into the 21st: see:

99. mh

I also note how the Left always raise the point that Churchill was rejected by the British people after the war.
    They like to give the impression to the young and ignorant that a line was drawn right there, and Churchill faded into history. They never mention his second term as Prime Minister from 1951 -1955.

100. NoFixedAddress

Elizabeth (Lizzie) Beare
    #3343545, posted on March 4, 2020 at 10:47 pm

if u and the hairy 1 are still on the go in August hook a boat into Cebu.

Cringeworthy Pictures. Sorry can’t help myself.

No one is laughing at the “Crazy Peppers” now!
    Ha ha ha ha ja ja ha!

They are trying to pull the scoldy do gooder bullshit that it’s the fault of people who do make an effort that other people missed out. Except no matter how many times you tell people to get off their fat arses they do nothing and then whine about it … all the while acting morally superior in their pig headed stupidity.

103. Lizzie taking a cruise in the Americas is going to be more dangerous than the trip I was taking to Malmo. 🙂

104. Mick Gold Coast QLD

From Bar Beach Swimmer at 10:38 pm:

” This paul fletcher sack of mush is going to cave to their abc’s demand for more funds due to global bushfires.

He was one of the LINOS who was on the leaked watts app group who voted down Julie Bishop to keep out Peter Dutton.”

Every one of these feeble bastards were shoehorned into the highest paying job of their mediocre lives by Tony Abbott. After about 3½ weeks they all started to feel fearful and perspire and run about clutching at each other, anxiously asking “What will happen to me next autumn?”

They all, every one of them, betrayed Abbott for their puppetmaster, Australia’s version of Bloomberg, the trillionaire gnome who lately has been strutting about as the smartest man in the room in the USA. He will soon have enough time on his hands to have lunch in New York with the quisling Turnbull, and his pea heart son – he deserves both – and they can all lick each other’s grubby nouveau riche fingers together. Turnbull ranks with Rudd and the lying slut as one of the most unworthy grubs ever to have occupied a seat in the Parliament. He was shunted by the same treacherous turds who betrayed Abbott.

You can expect precisely nothing of Morrison or his colleagues. They are mediocrity writ large. They have no ticker.

105. rickw

Is this to do with Turkey sending over the hordes?

Yep.

106. Knuckle Dragger

‘Catallaxy is full of old people’

Whoa.

Just whoa there a sec, Lizzie.

Some of us haven’t booked a Viking funeral aka cruise just yet.

107. Mitch M.

At 77 I am a sitting duck, although as Hairy assures me, not an old duck yet.

I’m not sure about that. The risk will be for those with already compromised health. Like all the oldies in China. Very high smoking rates, probably malnourished, and with untreated conditions, very bad air quality; thus extremely high rates of respiratory issues. Over 60 years of age T cells numbers decline, vaccine responses are weaker, and many have some type of morbidity. You have none. I think the real risk of us old codgers is pre-existing morbidity, especially lung and cardiac function. Hairy I regret to say is at risk. I don’t think you have anything to worry about it.

m0nty
    #3343553, posted on March 4, 2020 at 11:03 pm

Except you never did
    Chicken.
    At least she is game enough go.

109. Bar Beach Swimmer

Re the children didn’t die from the Spanish Flu – in my mother’s family of 12, one died aged 2. In my paternal grandmother’s family of 12, one died, also aged about 2. And in my other half’s mother’s family of 12 one died, aged also about 2.

110. Elizabeth (Lizzie) Beare

The new gravatar (allow me a small pecadillo as I prepare to head into Covid19 extinction) btw is a rare one of me still aged 16 heading up to 17, taken in a photo machine booth in 1959. The lighting is bad and my natural blonde hair in those days looks darker than it actually was. You wouldn’t dream of blonding it if you were a ‘decent’ girl back then. You didn’t often get your photo taken in those days either in my world, so I have very few photos from that time of family or self or friends. I still remember the dress. From Rockmans, with patterns in a mix of electric blue and bright pink.

I was so young, so hopeful, and so untutored. Sometimes it is hard to look back on all of that.
    Just like Dr. BG’s reminiscence, discovery of self is a lifetime occupation that everyone must engage in and that in the end adds up to naught anyway. Zero. For all of us, our little life is rounded with a sleep. If that sounds depressive it is not meant to be. I am looking forward to our cruising holiday and hope to be back to bother the usual suspects here well into my dotage, which is not yet.

111. mh

Corn Pop

Super Tuesday means super hair sniffing – this time a baby.

112. NoFixedAddress

mh
    #3343548, posted on March 4, 2020 at 10:54 pm

spent an enjoyable Christmas Eve luncheon with a mob of ‘naf’ Pommy factory owners and workers back mid 1970’s. inner city Melbourne and specialist metal workers.

shot an arrow across their boat early in the ‘festivities’ when i said churchill didn’t have good reports from anzac galipoli types.

after sorting out who may have been supporting whom in some place in the so called middle east we all got pissed together.

113. Bar Beach Swimmer

Knuckle Dragger
    #3343556, posted on March 4, 2020 at 11:06 pm

114. Elizabeth (Lizzie) Beare

Mitch M, your assessment of my risk vs Hairy’s risk is mine exactly. He has always had a very robust constitution though so I pin my hopes on that. He throws off colds much more readily than I do, for example.

115. Bar Beach Swimmer

Mick Gold Coast QLD
    #3343554, posted on March 4, 2020 at 11:04 pm

👍

116. Bar Beach Swimmer

Have we had any “how good is China” from numbers over the last few days?

117. mh

I can see why Australians may have a dim view of some aspects of Churchill’s past.

118. Stimpson J. Cat

The risk will be for those with already compromised health.

That reminds me:

Systolic :130
    Diastolic :69
    Pulse :55
    Weight :70
    BMI : 23
    Shorts : Denim
    Doctor’s Diagnosis :
    You Are Amazing, Stimpy. Just incredible.

😂

119. NoFixedAddress

Bar Beach Swimmer
    #3343569, posted on March 4, 2020 at 11:21 pm

Mick Gold Coast QLD
    #3343554, posted on March 4, 2020 at 11:04 pm

👍

+++

120. 8th Dan

That’s you? Seriously? What happened to that cleft at the bottom of your chin? Your later years gravatar photos show a rounded chin.

121. Bar Beach Swimmer

Has numbers been around over the past few days telling us “how good is China”?

122. mh

Fox News

Super Tuesday sets up Biden, Sanders for bruising delegate battle; brokered convention looms

There will be blood

🍿🍿🍿

123. NoFixedAddress

8th Dan
    #3343575, posted on March 4, 2020 at 11:32 pm

i appreciate your fine study of photographs of bodies

124. Nob

m0nty
    #3343553, posted on March 4, 2020 at 11:03 pm

Lotta murders about halfway across that bridge.

Best bar in Malmo is called “Bastard”.

Gave me a Bastard hangover, anyway.

125. Knuckle Dragger

Speaking of blood:

‘That’s you? Seriously? What happened to that cleft at the bottom of your chin?’

126. Bar Beach Swimmer

pete m
    #3343337, posted on March 4, 2020 at 7:38 pm
    Nephew update

Pete, great news; thanks for letting us know.

127. NoFixedAddress

dan8

is this u or your father?

and is the tail still attached?

128. Top Ender

Indigenous anger over rise of ‘fake Aborigines’

Traditional owners are calling for greater scrutiny of claims of ­Aboriginality, warning that “fake Aborigines” are rorting benefits and criminals may be claiming to be indigenous to avoid deportation.

Veteran activist and author Stephen Hagan, and Ann Weldon­, the former director of the Sydney Metropolitan Land Council, said there was widespread concern among Australia’s indigenous community about false claims to Aboriginality.

Dr Hagan said the debate about the Aboriginality of histor­ian Bruce Pascoe and last month’s High Court ruling against the deportation­ of indigenous people born overseas showed the need for a more ­robust examination of claims. In the wake of the High Court ruling, the Home Affairs Department is examining the claims of 23 immigration detainees who say they should be ­released on the grounds that they are indigenous Australians.

A traditional owner and former­ chairman of the Kullilli tribe of southwest Queensland, Dr Hagan said he feared the decision would be exploited by criminals seeking to avoid deportation.

Dr Hagan said the widely ­accepted method test of “descent, self-identification and acceptance” by the Aboriginal community had already been abused to support fraudulent claims.

He said the only real test was for a person to name and prove their links to a tribe and an “apical ancestor” — a tribe’s common ancesto­r who can be demonstrated to be at the apex of the Aborig­inal lineage of a group.

“The existing three-part test is as useful as an ashtray on a motorbike if it does not specify links to an apical ancestor,’’ he said.

“Anyone can do an internet search on a tribe and spin a good yarn to get around the definition, provided they can convince a gullible Aboriginal leader to say, ‘Yeah, I know him/her’, and then sign off on a confirmation of Aboriginali­ty certificate. Naming a tribe as proof of ­Aboriginality is no more than a geography lesson.

“An easy test to eliminate ­deceitful claims to Aboriginality, including those coming from ­detention centres of late, is to apply the apical ancestor test by going back a minimum of three generations. Ask claimants to do that and you’ll soon put a stop to fraudulent claims.”

Ms Weldon said she had seen widespread fraud by people claiming to be ­indigenous so they could access Aboriginal-identi­fied government jobs, university scholarships or public housing.

An elder of the Wiradjuri people­ from central-west NSW, she said “self-identification” by a statutory declaration — despite no evidence of Aboriginal lineage — was often ­accepted as proof.

“People are self-identifying with no proof, no links to Aborig­inal community or culture, by ticking the box and getting statutory declarations signed by a JP,’’ she said. “There are individuals and organisations that are handing them out like lolly paper.”

Ms Weldon said the Sydney Metropolitan Land Council was stringent on claims to Aboriginality but its concerns had been ­ignored by peak indigenous organ­isations. “At the land council­ we would send people away to get proof of their lineage, and most of them didn’t come back,’’ she said. “There are extensive records in NSW from the missions and it can be done.”

Link

129. mh

Paywalled story at the Courier Mail

A truck carrying bog roll has burst into flames on the gateway motorway.

130. Mick Gold Coast QLD

From Elizabeth (Lizzie) Beare at 11:15 pm

“discovery of self is a lifetime occupation that everyone must engage in”

Fair dinkum, Elizabeth, I never felt the need to waste time gazing at myself in the mirror (there is no insult intended, I trust you would know that). So many of you wymminses get so anguished with that (I say) unnecessary self focus.

I was placed on the right path by an immensely strong father, physically and mentally, who had seen much; by a gracious, gentle mother; by the affectionate encouragement of my eldest sister who took the family leadership when they passed it to her; by Warren Ryan, master coach, who named me captain and then set about teaching me how; and by an outstanding parish priest, a man’s man who was given to competing in the Redex trials under an assumed name, much to the displeasure of the bishops. I led the cortège after his final mass with tears streaming down my face, and carry his photo in my wallet still.

They guided me perfectly well and let me know quite clearly what I was, where I was going and why, and how to do it (I long ago borrowed that from Saint John Paul II). I simply trusted and followed their advice, which left me free to get on with it.

131. Arky

Wow.
    You were hot in the 1920s.

132. Howard Hill

Cash is now out. If you accept cash, those shitty Oz dollars that are worth shit, you’re gunna get the bat virus. You’ve been warned.

133. Infidel Tiger

That is the best cave painting I have seen.

You were a good looking lass pre-colour.

I used to think governments were needed to assist in areas specifically like public health/pandemics. I don’t they’re any good even for that anymore. Not only are they unhelpful, they are can kill you.

Read this :

So far the government has bungled its coronavirus response pretty egregiously.

Most hospitals have the equipment in house to detect coronavirus. But the FDA banned them from using it. They said all coronavirus tests needed FDA approval, and refused to approve anything except the official test made by the CDC.

Unfortunately, the official CDC test was defective. The test itself worked, but one component in the test kit was broken. Most hospitals had their own supply of this component and could have substituted it in, but the way the FDA approved the CDC test banned them from doing this.

The CDC tried as hard as it could to fix their broken tests quickly, but they weren’t able to do it fast enough to satisfy demand. In order to ration the scarce tests, they mandated that hospitals only test people who had recently been to China, or been in close contact with someone who had.

This was a disaster. For example, here’s a story from a person who traveled to Japan, where the coronavirus is active. He came back to the US, started developing symptoms, and went to a hospital. The hospital said since he hadn’t been to China, they couldn’t test him, and sent him home (he voluntarily quarantined after discharge, so thanks).

But even worse, the policy ruled out by fiat ever being able to detect when the epidemic spread to the US. So in mid-February, when a patient with no history of travel to China came to a hospital in California with coronavirus symptoms, the doctors had to ask the CDC for special permission to test. The CDC dithered for four days before granting the permission, during which nobody put any work into containing the disease. Finally the test came back positive – after some health workers had already been infected.

There were many points where this could have been avoided. A better CDC could have made tests that worked from the beginning, or ramped up production of working tests faster, or come up with smarter criteria for rationing tests. But it would have been even better to have a system where things don’t have to go perfectly, and where a few mistakes don’t choke up the entire response to an epidemic for weeks. If we hadn’t let our culture reach the point where governments ban things by default and review at leisure, and where individual iniative is frowned upon in favor of waiting for official permission to do the right thing, we could have recovered from all of these mistakes. Hospitals would have used their existing tests which they already have more than enough of, doctors would have had permission to test suspicious cases at their discretion, and we would have had a chance to catch infections early before they could spread. If the government didn’t already regulate adrenaline, buspirone, insulin, and genetic testing to the point of near-unavailability, maybe people would have thought it was weirder, or raised more of a fuss, when they started doing it for coronavirus tests.

If you don’t trust me, trust former FDA director Scott Gottleib, who explains the situation here in an unusually candid communication from an ex-government official talking about his former agency. His Twitter feed is a great source of information in general.

And here’s a more careful analysis of some of the laws around diagnostic testing and how they contributed to the current crisis. And by more careful, I mean it ends with “Bottom line: the FDA is going to kill us all”.

It may or may not be factor in the election, but this will be seen as an administration failure.

Is site slow-loading tonight?

136. NoFixedAddress

C.L.
    #3343600, posted on March 5, 2020 at 1:02 am

Is site slow-loading tonight?

may be checking its corona virus

137. NoFixedAddress

either that or huweye is being taken down by dan8

138. Helen

A run on ammo would make sense, but toilet paper??!!

Give it time. The run on toilet paper is because the pollies give us the shits. The run on ammo follows …

139. NoFixedAddress

if you need some music up loud

140. NoFixedAddress

one for Johanna of near Canberra

Mini Mike is gonsky

Bloomberg suspends presidential campaign, endorses Biden

142. Steve trickler

Cyberpunk City – ChongQing CHINA (2018)

A lot to absorb.

As with above, the production is off the charts.

Sleep well, all.

143. jupes

Bloomberg suspends presidential campaign, endorses Biden

After yesterday’s vote, it is clear that candidate is my friend and a great American, Joe Biden. I’ve known Joe for a very long time. I know his decency, his honesty …

Biden is one of the most corrupt politicians in the US, almost in the Clinton’s league. He also has dementia. It is going to very embarrassing for the Democrats to watch Sleepy Joe get destroyed by Donald Trump.

The concern trolling is something to behold.

Donald J. Trump
    @realDonaldTrump
    3h
    So selfish for Elizabeth Warren to stay in the race. She has Zero chance of even coming close to winning, but hurts Bernie badly. So much for their wonderful liberal friendship. Will he ever speak to her again? She cost him Massachusetts (and came in third), he shouldn’t!
    Donald J. Trump
    @realDonaldTrump
    4h
    The Democrat establishment came together and crushed Bernie Sanders, AGAIN! Even the fact that Elizabeth Warren stayed in the race was devastating to Bernie and allowed Sleepy Joe to unthinkably win Massachusetts. It was a perfect storm, with many good states remaining for Joe!

and he really cares for Bernie.

145. Elizabeth (Lizzie) Beare

Suddenly awake at 2am. Writing ‘to do’ lists in my head in bed. So seize the phone, and here I find Grigs disbelieving my photo. Look closely at the shot Grigs. It was taken in an early type of photo booth and is enlarged from a thumbnail print. I have a minor cleft in my chin, hardly noticeable when I am looking down, similar to most women. What you are mainly seeing is a white shine shadow highlight which is noticeable on other parts of the photograph on that side also if you look closely.

I took the picture at Central Station, having made a special trip to ‘town’ for a daring appointment I had made. In those days many girls wanted to be a model, a glamorous career, and June Daly Watkins ran regular searches for new talent. I had taken special care of my hair that day for I was going to a session where we had to turn up with photos. These ones from the machine that morning were all I had. Miss Daly came into the room, each hopeful girl had to stand up, turn around, and be inspected, and then present her photograph. Miss Daly looked at me, seemed to hesitate for a long moment examining my photo sheet, and then waved me over to the reject side. You are not tall enough dear, she said to me kindly, and I knew then that I was not sophisticated enough too in that well-dressed crowd. Which ended that avenue of escape from Mt Druitt. I went back to my job in St Mary’s as a receptionist knowing that many other girls would be ahead of me in whatever race I could now enter.

146. Iran and its enriched uranium stockpile.
    Currently a smidgen over 1,000 kg.
    I thought they only needed 10kg to make a nuke?
    If so, they have enough to make 100 of the suckers…
    At what point are we going to do something about this? Or is the UN waiting until Jerusalem etc is renamed Lake Jerusalem?

147. Steve trickler

A major diplomatic incident is in full swing.

Little Fidel has been smuggled out of CUBA. 🤣

148. Farmer Gez

Corona scare arrives on the farm.
    One of our workmen has been in Japan skiing with his sister for a few weeks.
    She’s crook and waiting on a test result and our man has set himself up in the shearing and I’ll be running supplies to him until we find out his sister’s result. She lives in Sydney.
    Our man had been back a week and feels fine and has had no contact with us as he’s been back in NSW where he came from until yesterday.
    Hoping the sis has a common cold but you never know.

149. Porter

Second Aussie dies, six more cases confirmed

Tests reveal a 95-year-old nursing home resident died from the virus after being infected by her carer, as NSW infections rise.

Hope all goes well for your workman, farmer Gez.

150. Nob

One of our workmen has been in Japan skiing

The inequality in Australia is shocking.

Shocking.

Also lack of action on The Climate Crisis.

Go for it Albo.

151. Nob

Watching Andrew Neil on BBC interviewing UK Labour leadership candidates.

Hilarious.

Shit as they are, light years better than the hopelessly biased ABC.

152. Nob

JFC, he’s ripping Rebecca Long-Bailey to shreds.

She’s staying cool though.

I’ve never seen interviews this good on ABC.

The only sane one is Keir Starmer but he acts like a defeated man.

153. Herodotus

BBC Warns of Arctic Extinctions Looming!
    Bruce of Newcastle’s comments will be interesting.
    The beeb reports that there are a lot of strange creatures which have adapted to the extremely cold waters under several metres of sea ice way down south. There are large red spider-like ones, luminous snail-ish ones, and so on. They are surviving in water close to or even below freezing, the report tells us.
    But! The warming, the warming! It will destroy these creatures, and then it’s Game Over for seals and penguins.
    Sounds like another climate beat up to me.

154. Porter

So an arrogant idiotarian ad her beta male show why animal porn lovers are a biosecurity risk.

155. Porter

Trump’s whole schtick about the Democrats stealing the candidature from Bernie (again) is quite funny though.

I told you last night that bogroll transport is dangerous.

157. jupes

Sounds like another climate beat up to me.

You think?

158. Knuckle Dragger

Can’t put my finger on it.

It’s almost as though something usual, something the happens every day without fail, an institution of sorts, started – and then stopped.

Portents of evil.

Clearly, there is popery afoot.

159. Knuckle Dragger

*that happens*

Penis banner.

160. Porter

Maybe Tom doesn’t like being interrupted at work?

161. Porter

Some idiot on the radio confesses that they always thought it was Violent Crumble not Violet Crumble. This is what being raised on leftism gets you: never read, just assume.

162. Knuckle Dragger

Violent Crumble.

Jesus wept.

‘Scuse me, while I kiss this guy….

Dow Jones.
    Up 5% Monday.
    Down 2% Tuesday.
    Wednesday … up 4% late in the day.
    Last week it was reported as “market crash”.
    Now it is reported as “turmoil on markets”.

164. mh

I can see on the Courier Mail homepage the bog roll carnage on the Gateway Bridge.

Bog roll-ageddon. 🔥

Australia 2020 – year of the bog roll.

165. Knuckle Dragger

Went to my local D-town Woollies last night for some milk.

Couldn’t help myself. Had a look at the dunny roll aisle. Packed. With dunny rolls.

Rolls of Chux wipes were empty, though. Goooornn.

There’s some sort of social commentary to be had with his, no doubt.

calli
    #3343651, posted on March 5, 2020 at 7:03 am
    I told you last night that bogroll transport is dangerous.

Time for some Two Ronnies bog humour.

Burglars broke into a London Police Station last night and stole all the toilet pans.
    Police say they have nothing to go on.

Peak-hour chaos after month’s worth of rainfall in Melbourne
    Transport chaos is unfolding around Melbourne after more than a month’s rain fell overnight, with cars trapped by swirling floodwater and busy roads slowing to a crawl ahead of peak hour.

Brianna Travers, Herald Sun
    March 5, 2020 7:38am

More than a month’s rain has fallen in Melbourne’s suburbs overnight, causing havoc heading into peak hour this morning.

Some suburbs have had more than 40mm of rain recorded overnight.

Olympic Park recorded 48.8mm since the rain started pouring overnight, according to the Bureau.

Moorabbin was the wettest part of Melbourne, recording 51.2mm.

In the state’s north, Albury has recorded the state’s highest rainfall at 76.6mm since 9am yesterday.

Albury – City in New South Wales – Albury is an Australian city in southern New South Wales. It sits on the border with Victoria, hugging the vast Murray River.

168. Knuckle Dragger

As briefly mentioned yesterday, Commonwealth Games 1982 gold medallist and original poo jogger Rob de Castella would laugh at bog roll antics of the present time..

Laugh, I tell you.

Sponge it up and get on with it, he’d say*.

#keepcalmandbackoneout

*Probably.

Mum appears to’ve proclaimed an royal edict: thou shalt take public transport.

Prince Charles and Camilla catch double-decker bus to royal engagement (4 Mar)

The Prince of Wales and the Duchess of Cornwall boarded the bus outside Clarence House, their official London residence, to ride to a royal engagement at the London Transport Museum in Covent Garden. … Pictures from the visit showed the royals waiting outside like any other London commuter. They stood at the bus stop, holding umbrellas to shield themselves from the rain.

Princess Anne spotted on central London underground – ‘Hardly anybody noticed her’ (4 Mar)

The Princess Royal is said to have been spotted by an eagle-eyed member of the TfL staff in mid-February. Just before she was due to take part in a London Fashion Week event near St Paul’s Cathedral, the royal entered the Tube at Green Park, the station closest to her official residence in London, St James’s Palace

The damage from the highfalutin Sparkles will take years to overcome, but Liz is on the job already.

170. Farmer Gez

Please Stackja give her a break — her name is Brianna.
    A millennial for sure, dumb as posts.

171. 132andBush

It’s been non stop all night here after 18mm already in the gauge at dusk.

Great stuff!

Glyphosate stocks are going to take a real hiding. It’s been hard enough to source as it is.

172. Herodotus

ABC interviews quarantine detainee soon to be released, and has as its main thrust getting her to condemn the government’s handling of the whole thing.
    Standard Operating Procedure during the term of any coalition government.

173. Knuckle Dragger

‘In the state’s north, Albury has recorded’

This is the natural end result of hiring earnest young things like Brianna (and her goddamn editors for that matter) whose worldly experience to date has been gleaned entirely from the confines of Camberwell.

Mid you, these are the same people that presume to lecture the plebs on European geopolitics and Arctic weather patterns.

174. Knuckle Dragger

Three for three on the ‘identify the typo the exact moment you hit Post’ scale.

175. Herodotus

My bad – comment at 6.46 above should have read Antarctic Extinctions.

176. Porter

‘Scuse me, while I kiss this guy….

as long as you’re infected with something really nasty

177. OldOzzie

2,300 cruise passengers including dozens of Britons are ordered back on board their ship off of Greece and told not to leave after it is revealed former passenger has coronavirus

. Some 2,300 people were called back to the MSC Opera from Athens excursion
    . The captain revealed an Austrian man who left the ship in February had the virus
    . He had disembarked in Genoa in northern Italy, at the centre of the outbreak
    . Are you on board the MSC Opera? Email [email protected]

178. Knuckle Dragger

Herodotus;

S’ok.

Brianna and her giggly mates at The Hun wouldn’t know the difference.

179. Porter

Mum appears to’ve proclaimed an royal edict: thou shalt take public transport.

Harry booked an entire first class carriage on the train.

180. Knuckle Dragger

‘He had disembarked in Genoa’

Just as every disease-borne mass extinction event originates from BatLand, Genoa seems to have been a particularly good staging point for East to West transmission from the Black Plague onwards.

A trade hub and all that.

The big story is a rainy day in Melbourne.

The sooner the mockingbird media all go broke the better.

Farmer Gez
    #3343670, posted on March 5, 2020 at 7:50 am

Education!

183. Nob

Can you blame the Briannas for subediting, or lack of?

If they even have subediting.

184. OldOzzie

Don’t push panic button, economy is not in toilet

The Australian Editorial

The good news, declares Scott Morrison, is Kimberly-Clark, which produces toilet paper, has opened up its factory line in South Australia. The nation’s panicky shoppers should be relieved. “That’s the economy in motion,” the Prime Minister said on Tuesday ahead of the Reserve Bank’s last-gasp cash rate cut brought on by the coronavirus outbreak. The Bureau of Statistics reported on Wednesday gross domestic product expanded in the December quarter before the worst of the Black Summer bushfires hit. The economy ambled along last year at a regular clip of 0.5 to 0.6 per cent a quarter, posting annual growth of 2.2 per cent. That’s hardly news to scream happy about but Josh Frydenberg says he’d take that any day given it’s just below US growth of 2.3 per cent and well ahead of other rich countries.

Looking in the rear-view mirror gives us a sense of which parts of the economy are pulling their weight and which areas are struggling. Across the year, GDP growth has been driven by the trade sector, especially mining, and public spending on social welfare, health, disability services and capital works. Job growth has been a tad under 2 per cent across the economy. Drought has slammed agriculture, but there are pockets of revival. Consumer spending, particularly on big-ticket items such as new cars, has been weak. Sales promotions ahead of Christmas, however, breathed some life into the retail industry.

But the world has given us a pay cut, with the price for our exports slipping back, while the cost of imports — such as computers, fuels, overseas holidays and heavy machinery — has risen off the back of a weaker dollar. GDP per capita, a proxy for living standards, grew last year by a measly 0.7 per cent, well below long-term averages. Profits fell in the December quarter. As we have bemoaned for some time, private investment is extremely weak, with construction and equipment spending falling during the course of last year. That bodes ill for productivity and our ability to sustain faster rates of growth down the track. Home building is in a deep hole but trade in second-hand housing assets has kicked up again, with transfer duties flooding into state treasuries. It’s hard to see where the central bank’s “gentle turning point” has been living, although the statistician has revised up GDP for previous quarters.

There is abundant stimulus flowing in the economy. But the RBA’s three cash rate cuts last year, as well as the Treasurer’s tax cuts for low and middle-income earners, saw households paying down debt or saving for a rainy day. Perhaps it has brought forward the time when consumers begin to spend and businesses start to invest. The evolving COVID-19 health crisis, however, has the potential to derail a slow-moving engine. The RBA says it is difficult to predict how large and long-lasting the economic effect will be; its 0.5 per cent cash rate is aimed at providing extra support to jobs and economic activity. But monetary policy has run its race and ultra-cheap money may simply set off another run of house-price mania. So Canberra is coming to the rescue.

Managing sentiment is art rather than science. The Prime Minister is taking the lead in calming nerves and preparing to unleash the fiscal hounds. Given this is a health shock, with severe supply-side consequences likely, the 2008-09 game plan to deal with the global financial crisis won’t cut it. Mr Morrison has made clear the initial response will be “targeted” and “scalable”; but the heft of the package has been upgraded from “modest” to “measured” in a sign both ambition and need are growing by the day. The risk is the Coalition — which mocks Labor’s GFC overkill on pinks batts, school halls and cheques to dead people — will underspend and the economy slips into recession. It’s likely the “back in the black” surplus is gone, but Mr Morrison wants to get “back on track”, fiscally speaking, as soon as possible.

In talking up the national accounts on Wednesday, the Treasurer said he was looking at changes to deeming rates for retirees struggling with ultra-low interest rates. Deputy Prime Minister Michael McCormack called on the states to propose construction projects that were ready to roll. But the government has brought forward $4bn in work already. Do we have the skills and materials capacity for it, given the bushfires recovery work? Probably not. The essence of the coming stimulus will be to protect jobs, boost investment and help companies with their cashflow.

Business, which accepts company tax relief is not on the horizon, had been pushing for an investment allowance well before the virus crisis. A tax break is likely to figure in the package, which Mr Morrison promises will be delivered “well before” the May budget. With any plan hinging on scalability, we expect the fiscal response will come sooner rather than later. A temporary tax holiday for the worst-affected traders in tourism, education, farming and retail would provide valuable relief, as would a delay for small enterprises to lodge Business Activity Statements. Getting the stimulus design right — avoiding the extremes of recession and spending waste — will test officials and their political masters. Even though time is of the essence, pushing the panic button would send the wrong public signal.

185. Old School Conservative

In the state’s north, Albury has recorded’

I gently noted the error in a comment.
    Still “Pending”.

BBC Warns of Arctic Extinctions Looming!

Arctic sea ice is currently normal:

Normal Sea Ice Extent At Both Poles (26 Feb)

Ditto snow extent.
    The AMO, which drives both, is bumping along on a plateau. When it flips both snow and sea ice will go whooshka upwards.

187. Mother Lode

Only two Tom-toons today?

Damn, but Rowe is losing it. Those pictures of Biden and Sanders are beyond pathetic. If he didn’t label them with the waistbands on their shorts you would never guess.

He seems very grudgingly to have recognised that Trump would be enjoying the spectacle (without twigging that Trump would have a preference for the opponent against whom he has the better strategy) and is flogging that deceased equine pretending that Trump’s response to the coronavirus is glib and ineffectual.

The same Trump jokes again, and again, and again…

He must truly be the least inventive cartoonist in the country. A more squiggly version of last dog.

188. OldOzzie

Chuck Schumer Incites Mob Violence Against Two Supreme Court Justice and the Media Are Nowhere to Be Found

Schumer: “I want to tell you Justice Kavanaugh and Justice Gorsuch: You have unleashed a whirlwind, and you will pay the price.”

Isn’t it weird that today Bernie Sanders cut a misleading out of context ad and Chuck Schumer threatened two SCOTUS justices and the firefighters are suddenly nowhere to be found?

My bad – comment at 6.46 above should have read Antarctic Extinctions.

Oops, I should’ve refreshed before putting up that comment!

Same goes down south, sea ice is normal at both poles as you saw in the above link. The PDO drives Antarctic sea ice somewhat, but not to the extent of the AMO because Antarctica borders the Pacific, Indian and Atlantic. The PDO is neutral at the moment, but has just been through a big spike due to the three back-to-back el Ninos in the last 4 years. When the heat from those dissipates and we get into a la Nina the sea ice should increase substantially.

Iran and its enriched uranium stockpile.
    Currently a smidgen over 1,000 kg.

Read the words “low enriched” which means about 5%.

I thought they only needed 10kg to make a nuke?

Of high-enriched Uranium which means getting it up above 90%.

If so, they have enough to make 100 of the suckers…

That’s just crap.

If they were to upgrade their enrichment that would also reduce the amount of resultant material.

Besides that, the article is a beat up … Iran already said they would NOT stick with Obama’s “Deal” since the USA isn’t sticking with it, and although Germany, France, etc want to make the token gesture of pretending to still be “in the deal” that’s completely meaningless because Trump got them to knuckle under and respect his sanctions. Therefore Iran is free to make as much low-enriched Uranium as they want, and I suppose eventually have a go a making a power reactor if they can dig a deep enough hole to hide it in.

Whether they some day decide to make a bomb is another question … the temptation will always be there but no actual evidence has surfaced demonstrating such activities.

191. OldOzzie

When Covid-19 Kills 18,000 People Call Me, But Until Then Stop the Scaremongering

Here are some highlights from Dr. Fauci’s remarks.

“If you look at the now 90,000 people who’ve been infected and the number of deaths that have occurred, about 80 percent of individuals who get infected do really quite well without any specific intervention. Namely, they spontaneously recover,” Fauci said in his opening statement.

“However, about 15 to up to 20 percent of individuals – usually those who are elderly and in risk groups wind up getting serious disease requiring supportive care. That could be oxygen. That could be intensive care. That could be intubation or even more dramatic interventions,” he said.

“So we want desperately to have a therapy for these individuals. There are a number of candidate therapies that literally as I speak to you today are being tested in randomized control trials. One of these is called Remdesivir, which was developed by the Gilead company. It is being tested in a large trial in China, and it is also being tested here in the United States in an NIH-sponsored trial in collaboration with Gilead,” he said.
    What he’s saying is that unless you are in an at-risk category, for instance, someone who is already seriously ill or who is immune compromised, if you get Covid-19, you’re going to be sick for a short period of time and you’re going to get well.

And there was this exchange between Senators Lamar Alexander and Rand Paul with Dr. Fauci.

“Are children getting the coronoavirus?” Sen. Lamar Alexander (R-Tenn.) asked Fauci at Tuesday’s Senate Subcommittee on Health, Education, Labor and Pensions hearing on the novel coronavirus, also known as COVID-19.

“To a much lesser extent than adults, and for reasons that are still unclear. It may be that they are getting infected, but they’re symptoms are so low they’re not being recognized, but in a number of reports that have come out from China, there are very few cases less than 15 years old. You’ll always find the exception, but most of the cases are a mean age of about 50,” Fauci said.

Donald J. Trump
    @realDonaldTrump
    1h
    Pandering Mini Mike Bloomberg, along with his wacky friend, Tom Steyer, have found out the hard way that you can’t buy the election! They both wish they had it to do over again!

193. 8th Dan

Alex the Seal

194. pete m

Check #RiggedPrimary trending on Twitter for more lefty tears.

Lol

195. feelthebern

And when feelthebern saw the breadth of his toilet paper domain, he wept, for there were no more worlds to conquer.

h/t Hans Gruber.

Nob

#3343685, posted on March 5, 2020 at 8:06 am

Can you blame the Briannas for subediting, or lack of?

If they even have subediting.

Sub-editors are not merely goalkeepers to keep out a torrent of j’ism mistakes.
    Forty years ago the mistake would have been corrected, followed by Brie-Anna getting whacked with a Jacaranda Atlas and told to learn the top fifty towns in Australia, in order of population by tomorrow.

197. feelthebern

Ladbrokes.
    God king 1.62
    Sleepy Joe 2.50
    Feelthebern 17
    Tulsi 36
    Crooked Hillary 101
    Fake Indian 201
    Obama’s tranny husband 201

Old School Conservative
    #3343687, posted on March 5, 2020 at 8:08 am
    In the state’s north, Albury has recorded’

I gently noted the error in a comment.
    Still “Pending”.

Not rejected yet.

199. feelthebern

Overnight the Bernie Bros media were apoplectic.
    Bernie Bros smash stuff.

200. Knuckle Dragger

‘Can you blame the Briannas for subediting, or lack of?’

I blame the Briannas for being too thick to realise what town is in what State, Nob.

I blame her in particular for having a guess, and not doing so much as looking up where it is, and I blame her for not have basic general knowledge. Journos are supposed to know more things than the average bear, or at least have access to information.

Travers a) didn’t know what she was talking about, and b) failed to realise she didn’t know what she was talking about. Strikes one and two.

The subbies’ job isn’t just to think of cool headlines that will fit into the available space. They are (supposed to be) a check and balance mechanism guarding against the occasional inadvertent howler.

Strike fucking three.

This is about baseline credibility. Newspapers are supposed to possess this, and stack’s earlier link is yet another glaring example that at the very basic level, there are people in that industry who have repeatedly, and abjectly failed in what is really their only currency. The written word.

And it infuriates me, because it reinforces the concepts of ‘oh but you know what I meant’ and/or ‘doesn’t really matter, just get the content down’.

And thanks to the Briannas and their invisible/incompetent subbies, the credibility of the entire piece is, like it or not, shot.

These are the people who expect the public to listen to them, or at least absorb the content of the information they put forward. They are also the same people routinely bewildered when the ‘trust by occupation’ surveys come out, placing them at the bottom of the heap next to used car dealers.

So yeah. I do blame the Briannas.

Idiots. Oblivious idiots.

201. Eyrie

If the Iranians have 5% enriched uranium, that can make 55kg of 90% enriched uranium. Easy enough to do as they’ve already gone from 0.7% to 5%.
    55Kg should be good for a couple of crude gun type fission weapons, maybe more if they do the implosion type correctly.

202. Knuckle Dragger

*not having*

Thus proving my point.

203. Boambee John

Add a requirement for full initiation.

The prospect of whistlecock would discourage fake claims by males.

204. feelthebern

Footage of the Democratic convention from 30 sec mark.

Knuckle Dragger
    #3343708, posted on March 5, 2020 at 8:30 am
    So yeah. I do blame the Briannas.
    Idiots. Oblivious idiots.

Education again. I know because I was taught, Briannas not taught?

206. OldOzzie

Pelosi’s ‘Dirty Little Secret’: She Held Back Coronavirus Funding Bill so DCCC Could Run Super Tuesday Ads Against GOP

This is not surprising. For the Democrats, the coronavirus outbreak has become their latest weapon with which to damage the President.

McCarthy brought this up during a GOP press conference today. He told reporters:

Last week, we had an opportunity to bring forth the Supplemental, the needed funds for public health and others to deal with this item. We are not the majority. We cannot determine the floor, so Speaker Pelosi left, and had us leave Congress. This week, we hope we’re going to be able to bring it up.

The one concerning issue that I have, not as just the leader of the Republicans, but really as an American. Why didn’t we vote on it last week? And why now is the Democratic arm of the DCCC running ads against seven Republicans? On something they could not vote on, because they could not control it. Are they playing politics and holding the money up so their political arm can attack Republicans on this issue? Can they, for one time put people before politics? I think they owe the American people an apology. I think the Speaker needs to apologize. Cheri Bustos needs to take those ads down and stop playing politics with this.

America is nervous. We’ve been preparing for years in advance. We’ve got to make sure we have all the needed resources there.

So bring the bill to the floor.

207. Top Ender

What Violent Crumble actually looks like…

And c) … doesn’t give a shit because she just graduated with a Degree in J’ism and should be reporting on Big Things, not the fucking weather.

209. Knuckle Dragger

‘no more worlds to conquer’

Glorious.

210. Knuckle Dragger

LL, just now:

Testify.

A few months of covering the local dishlickers, with an extra three weeks tacked on for every misspelled hound’s name might also do the trick.

211. lotocoti

EU suicide note.

there are no net emissions of greenhouse gases by 2050
    economic growth is decoupled from resource use
    no person and no place is left behind

feelthebern

#3343707, posted on March 5, 2020 at 8:28 am

Overnight the Bernie Bros media were apoplectic.
    Bernie Bros smash stuff.

The Dimocrat convention in July is going to be special.
    Party like it’s 1968.

213. 8th Dan

a minor cleft

Yes … that’s a pronounced chin cleft … definitely not minor.
    And not a well rounded chin like the old woman gravatar photos.

Rhinoplasty could account for that …

Only two Tom-toons today?

Sorry, folks. The Cat was as slow as a wet week, then Ozblogistan totally shat itself. I’ve saved the best, which I’ll post tomorrow with the new edition.

OldOzzie
    #3343693, posted on March 5, 2020 at 8:19 am

And

OldOzzie
    #3343717, posted on March 5, 2020 at 8:36 am

I’m not advocating violence but schumer and pelosi should be shot.

216. feelthebern

A house divided can not stand.
    The Dem turnout will be huge in November.
    But only half the Dems will be voting.
    The other half of the Dems will be smashing stuff.

217. Knuckle Dragger

‘The girl’s nose is small and upturned too. Quite different to the old woman’s long, thin nose.
    Rhinoplasty could account for that …’

Oh man, oh man oh man.

‘It is my melancholy duty to inform you…..’

‘A day that will live in infamy.’

‘Winter is coming.’

218. feelthebern

Bernie Sanders: Who do I have to fuck around here to get the nomination.

219. Entropy

You mean they weren’t free to do whatever they wanted before? Bwawhgahaha!

220. NoFixedAddress

Eyrie
    #3343709, posted on March 5, 2020 at 8:30 am

but when they load it on a rocket i’ll laugh and laugh and laugh.

by the bye, is there anyone still alive in North Korea?

221. Boambee John

Eyrie
    #3343709, posted on March 5, 2020 at 8:30 am

I suspect that it becomes harder as the enrichment percentage climbs.

Tom
    #3343726, posted on March 5, 2020 at 8:52 am

Thank you.

223. Nob

Knuckle Dragger
    #3343708, posted on March 5, 2020 at 8:30 am
    ‘Can you blame the Briannas for subediting, or lack of?’

Nobody told her the hyphen in Albury – Wodonga was actually a bridge.

I blame the parents.

224. NoFixedAddress

dan8

the blogroll king on fire

225. bespoke

Tel
    #3343695, posted on March 5, 2020 at 8:21 am

I.e.: Don’t be sucked into another war like the GW2.

226. Mak Siccar

An accurate assessment of the unfortunate state of the conservative side of politics in the comments to this article.

en passant – 4th March 2020
    Conservatives always fight a defensive battle on the subjects of the Leftoids choosing.
    Conservatives research, debunk & answer the Leftoid lies weeks after their public pronouncement. By then the world has moved on and the battle has been lost.
    We treat Leftoids like normal people with whom one can hold a reasonable debate. In fact, they are deranged psychopaths who should be treated like any other escaped lunatic one meets.
    They will say anything and blatantly lie for the cause as the truth is irrelevant (or facts or reality), whereas Conservatives try to retain an ethical, factual and truthful position.
    Recognise that Leftoids are no different from rabid bats and treat them accordingly. They have no moral compass, they are indoctrinated cultists who hate you and all you stand for. They cannot ever be your friend. Many are genuine believers and others are just opportunists in it for the money, status and power.
    Never defend anything ever. Immediately answer every declaration, or statement asking a question. Confidently state: “That’s not true …” whether you know for certain it is true, false or you have no idea … That’s what they do, then ask them to prove the point their point, provide references or just sow doubt.
    Laugh out loud at their pronouncements and always mock and ridicule them . raise them to hysteria ,,take no prisoners and have fun destroying them …
    It is the right thing to do …

We have a new Socky McSockface in our midst?

228. Knuckle Dragger

She’ll (Danielle) be on fire after Lizzie works up several supertankers full of outrageous flammable outrage.

As long as she doesn’t mention Lizzie’s driving skills or lack thereof masked by outdated technology, she’ll survive.

It’ll be an $8.99 investment on a Coral Belt (available from mmadirect.com.au) well spent.

229. Top Ender

CWS = Cartoon Withdrawal Symptoms.

230. Viva

Violent Crumble.

lol
    When I was kid I thought reincarnation was rearing carnation
    A kind of dangerous attack flower

231. Knuckle Dragger

‘Laugh out loud at their pronouncements and always mock and ridicule them’

See?

232. Farmer Gez

The rain is a blessing.
    Fresh green grass and a shovel for that outdoor sustainable call to nature. Try it — you might never go back.

I have to be more observant, didn’t notice the new gravatar.

Grigs is doing you a fav.

234. OldOzzie

Wall Street roars back back after Democrats’ Super Tuesday and stimulus hopes

Good morning and welcome to Trading Day for Thursday March 5. Australian shares are on track to soar at open after the Dow Jones Industrial Average surged nearly 1200 points, or 4.5 per cent on hopes for more stimulus measures to fight the virus outbreak and primary wins by Joe Biden.

The Australian dollar is trading higher at US66.22c.

Wall St comes roaring back

The Dow Jones Industrial Average soared more than 1,100 points, or 4.5%, on hopes for more stimulus measures from around the globe to fight the virus outbreak. Health care companies led the gains after Joe Biden solidified his contender status for the Democratic presidential nomination. Investors see him as a more business-friendly alternative to Bernie Sanders. Congressional leaders agreed on an $US8.3 billion bill to battle the new coronravirus, and investors are anticipating that more central banks will follow the Federal Reserve’s lead in cutting rates. The S&P 500 jumped 4.2% and the Nasdaq rose 3.8%. The yield on the 10-year Treasury rose slightly.

Sashays in, hands in pockets, whistling a tune…

Bogroll news – we now have an emergency here in the bay. Woolies completely cleaned out. The gannets must have visited yesterday when there was plenty.

Care Packages dispatched to Sydney where my sensible children (who take zero notice of MSM confected crises) have run out.

Hard to know who is making the problem worse – them for not heeding the vibe, me for baling them out with local supplies, or the halfwits taking ute loads away.