My favourite Dutchman pulls the chain on pumped hydro

EXTRACTS

By far the cheapest way of power storage are pump-water basins, approximately €2.5 cents per kWh. The ‘ free ‘ wind current is then used to fill the water basins. To move that current surplus from the left in the graph to the right (the required 4.1 TWh storage) would then cost about €105 per billion a year. or about €13,300 per year per household. Only the storage that is and just apart from the question of where we are in the Delta Netherlands that will build water basins then. 

[Warning, the combination of machine translation from Dutch and Mr Van-Ulzen’s sense of humour generates some interesting forms of words]. See link to paper below.

There are green adepts in our country who think that with wind-& solar power plus large-scale storage for 100% we can provide for our power requirements. Mind you, the power requirement is less than 20% of our total energy needs. The other 80% mainly concerns heat & transport.

Let’s take a look at how such (2050) scenario would look based on the actual production figures for wind-& solar current over 2017. According to the experts, there should be 80% wind power produced and 20% solar power. Furthermore, you do not want to produce more than 100% of the demand over the year. Otherwise, you would literally produce waste, that power should be somewhere.

The total amount of wind-& solar flow was enough to cover 2.22% of the total energy requirement. On day 254 (September 11, 2017) the total production of wind-& solar flow was combined at its max with 5.31% demand coverage.

We inflate this chart to 100% of the power requirement with 80% wind current and 20% solar power. In terms of shape, it is logically quite similar to the first figure, and we see days with too much wind & solar power and days with too little.  We See for example around Day 21 (3rd and 4th week January) a few days in succession with a current too short, as well as around day 261 (3rd and 4th week September). For that first period our eastern neighbours have a name called ‘ Dunkelfleute ‘.  The total of these surpluses and deficits is zero, after all the starting position was 100% wind and solar power.

Let’s say we do a miraculous invention where we can save power without limit and loss of conversion, how much storage do we need? If we accumulate the shortages and surpluses from the previous figure, we will understand how much power storage we need [Figure 4].

We have to save power on 14 January (day 14) for 13.1 days to prevent the light from coming out on 30 September (day 273). Give or take 4.45 TWh. In an electric Tesla can 85 kWh.  So We need quite a bit of it.

That flattening of wind-& solar power by using battery storage appears to be rather disappointing. In reality, only 2.66% of the total power requirement can be pushed forward one day. The storage requirement for the remainder is still around 4.1 TWh. The 3 to 4 million Tesla’s used for this are also directly the maximum. There are simply not enough days when you can save a day surplus to use it the next day. 

DUTCH PAPER FIRST PART

Liberty Quote – The government is committed to fiscal responsibility and has committed to offset all new spending as part of the budget process. We will be returning the budget to surplus in 2012-13.  — Penny Wong

This entry was posted in Global warming and climate change policy, Rafe. Bookmark the permalink.