Cold turkey

We’ve all had a weekend of cold turkey – no Cat comments.

I have made several requests over the past week or so for a greater level of civility on the Open Forums – especially towards fellow Cat threadsters. My requests were routinely ignored and even mocked – becoming a meta-discussion. Now it is true that I’m very tolerant of wide-ranging discussion and I’m long-suffering too. It is true that I ask nicely and use words like “please” and “thank you”, but while I speak softly, I also have a big stick.

Now I enjoy a snarky comment, a witty retort, repartee, a crushing comeback, and the odd stoush. The clever pun, an off colour joke, sarcasm are all good too. But relentless abuse gets boring. Really. Just boring. Day after day after day.

We do this for fun. Enjoyment. Let’s have fun.

Now remember the great philosopher Conan:

To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women!

Remember crush your enemies, hear the lamentations of their women. Your fellow Cat threadsters are not your enemies.

Also a reminder from the OMG! My comment has not appeared page:

If you use one of a number of “rude words” your comment will be held for approval. These include the c-bomb and allegations of criminality that involve sexual perversions. If you believe that public figures or any other person has committed an offence notify the police and not the readership of the Cat.

So let’s enjoy ourselves at the Cat. If all you want to do all day is hurl abuse, go to Twitter.

This entry was posted in Site News. Bookmark the permalink.

315 Responses to Cold turkey

1. Knuckle Dragger

nilk:

‘Who knows? And if a form of community and network grows, then that’s an okay thing too.’

Fair comment nilk. Discovered the Cat myself when housebound for a couple of months back in the day.

If people choose to make their life about the blogs, it might be different – but that’s part of its beauty. We don’t know. The anonymity may even elicit commentary and opinion people would never dare (through shyness, for example) say to an actual, in-life group of people.

2. notafan

Why yes it is!

How dare you!

3. Nilk, I wandered to Kae’s blog last night (no Cat…) and see you and BoaB worked together on that parcel thing. Are you still in touch with the other two? Kae drops a drive-by post here and disappears, while BoaB appears to have disappeared!

4. notafan

That looks great at the top of the page!

5. KD, I came here from Bolt’s blog. Kae, mentioned above, was a regular as was BoaB either here or at Blair’s. It’s strangely reassuring when you find a new place with a handful of familiar names. Have still only met one Cat in real life when she owned an emporium.

6. Hodor

After the smiting by killing comments temporarily (killing temporary?) I, also a lurker have noticed very few swear words on this thread.

Shit, bum, bugger, wee, dick.

I, like P do enjoy the repartee where insults are of at least three words and can be argued for.

notafan

#3438731, posted on May 3, 2020 at 11:26 pm

Projects as a man but is a woman?

I’ve missed the boat on that one.

Knits brows.

Nah.
    Just a red herring.

8. notafan

Damn you LL

Unknits brows.

9. notafan

An emporium you say NKP?

Nelson_Kidd-Players

#3438764, posted on May 3, 2020 at 11:49 pm

KD, I came here from Bolt’s blog. Kae, mentioned above

Was that the Kae who was here for a while?
    Had a terrible experience losing a son to drugs?
    Or did I imagine that?

11. notafan

Not Kae

Someone else.

notafan

#3438776, posted on May 3, 2020 at 11:59 pm

Damn you LL

Unknits brows.

93.1% of my posts may contain traces of herring.

Ah, OK.
    Might be getting a touch of the Biden memory.

14. Armadillo

Had a terrible experience losing a son to drugs?

I recall that also. And Hammy.

15. Knuckle Dragger

NKP,

Yeah, I used to lurk (and only lurk) on the old Blair. Very funny joint, and just as cutting.

I remember your handle, and nilk and kae, plus a few others still around. The mighty paco and co, Andrea in the chair, assegai and Sumerian mead, etc. Tipped over italic jars. Trolls burnt at the stake, in public.

Could never have commented with any authority in that company.

16. Knuckle Dragger

Somebody on that blog’s handle was Rachel Corrie’s Flatmate. Brilliant.

Tell you who I don’t remember though. People/a person/somebody who was bignoting about being on it foe years and years. Never heard of that person before, on that site anyway.

He should never have gone mainstream.

17. Armadillo

That Sheliah spat the dummy about losing her kid to drugs. Wanted to place blame on everyone. Government, Cats, friends, herself or anyone else she could lash out at.

Hopefully she worked it out in the end.

You learn from history, you don’t live it.

18. Knuckle Dragger

*for years*

Gawd. See?

Paco Enterprises is still around.

20. I fear my Adelaide name is too obvious…

21. Nelson I’m in touch with both Kae and BoaB via spacechook. They’re still alive and kicking and dealing with the idiocy that is 21c Oz. 🙂

Regarding the care packages, that did it’s job of raising awareness nicely. I used to do regular searches and found quite a few blogs and aggregate sites lifting our information-often without attribution – and spreading the word. That was the aim of the blog after all. I might check it out tomorrow!

And thanks, LL @11.20. I just saw your comment.

Hopefully she worked it out in the end.

He … ah … um … how do I put this?
    Was he ever a choirboy?

23. Mick Gold Coast QLD

From Leigh Lowe at 12:01 am:

” Nelson_Kidd-Players

#3438764, posted on May 3, 2020 at 11:49 pm

KD, I came here from Bolt’s blog. Kae, mentioned above

Was that the Kae who was here for a while?
    Had a terrible experience losing a son to drugs?
    Or did I imagine that?”

Certainly not Kae, who dealt with me and others as the real thing – a fine person. As it happens she was about the first person to respond to me on the internet, at Tim Blair’s I think, when I came in looking for reasons why some effete little sheila named Rudd had been given the rails run by Labor into Yarralumla, and why the dopey Yanks were lining up to elect the magic negro.

I believe you are remembering Alice, a disheveled bellicose drunk who had been – had led – everything from the shearing shed at Karumba QLD to vice governor of somewhere and the micro-surgery team at somewhere else. I recall someone overdosed and it was everyone else’s fault.

This was seven or eight years ago – it was a dead set Barry Crocker.

Reminds me of Arky’s challenge to egg.

25. Thanks, Nilk.

Found a book in my local library once, about the blog scene in Australia. Must have been around 10 years ago now. Kae was mentioned as one of the few female bloggers of prominence. I thought at the time that others were overlooked, but can no longer remember the specifics. (Perhaps you, Nilk, flew under the writer’s radar at the time – not obviously female enough to a casual glance?) 😉

Thanks for the memory jogger Mick.
    I think it might have been the dark web wot dun it, too.

27. Fat Tony

Had a terrible experience losing a son to drugs?

She posted by the name of Aliice and her son was Daniel

28. Fat Tony

Had a terrible experience losing a son to drugs?

She posted by the name of Aliice and her son was Daniel

And a pack of pricks here piled on big time – arseholes

29. bespoke

Mick Gold Coast QLD
    #3438616, posted on May 3, 2020 at 10:03 pm
    How entertaining.

Several hours of mutually congratulatory sanctimony – “you horrid fellows deserved it” – do pass the cucumber sandwiches; then the Laurel-and-Hardy-like Maudlin’s teary prelude, paving the way before reactivating the Gutter Mouthed Tart to poison the waterhole for several days; and news of a separate club of nice contributors at a nicer place.

It’s business as usual.

I have long been amused and bemused that some regard an internet chat site as something more real than just that, as an alternative to normal human relationships. What sort of failed effort in life has one leaning on interaction on a keyboard as an alternative to a conversation over a coffee table or in the public bar, where one can see the other’s eyes and attitudes?

Yes it all looks pointless when politics is reduced to an excuse for social integration.

30. bespoke

integrationinteraction.

31. Win

Dear Doomlord, Would it be presumptuous to ask that Toms toons be presented as a post should the miscreants shut us down again. Some of us suffered withdrawal symptoms.

Was that the Kae who was here for a while?
    Had a terrible experience losing a son to drugs?

Aliice. Had tremendous stoushes with Dot and R abz. Very funny and full of life. Her tragedy whipped the wind from her sails, poor lady.

33. Nick

Well said Mick.
    I’m disappointed I have to say that the return of the Cat has been punctuated with
    1 Not I said the fly
    2. Be nice to each other, scum
    3. I’m still horny but clueless
    4. Oh, we have a better bolt hole elsewhere with a more select group
    5. I’ve been here since the battle of Hastings
    6. Oh no Miss, it wasn’t me
    Etc

On successful pick-up lines. The last one I had was “would you like a coffee?”. That was 46 years ago.

This is the Thread of Contrition and Niceness.

Won’t last. Time to pop over to the new OT and check the fireworks.

36. Nick

Oh, I forgot:
    7. ‘It’s Sinc’s blog, real meaning ‘its mine and I want a say in who posts here.

Tyrants are easy to pick.

38. I haven’t been here since the Battle of Hastings. The War of the Emus, perhaps.

39. Shy Ted

I once went to a brothel
    I walked out with a swagger
    The hooker couldn’t walk at all
    I earned the nickname “Shagger”.

40. A Lurker

Just don’t create Open Threads if they generate too much conflict and angst.
    Create instead a ‘Suggestion Box’ for posters wanting to contribute links to interesting articles etc., a ‘Tom’s Corner’ thread for the daily cartoons, and a highly moderated, invitation-only ‘Off-topic’ thread for general conversation.

41. A Lurker

There are times when you can’t identify the guilty bastard so then collective punishment is the answer. Punish the lot and let them sort out the recalcitrant ones. Worked in the Army – made them think of what it was they were trying to do.

Roman decimation was more effective.

42. Knuckle Dragger

Disagree, Lurker.

The OTs are just that. A (largely) self-censoring marketplace of opinion.

It is the greatest of threads. All the other threads stem in some way from discussions on the OT.

43. Cassie of Sydney

8. It is Sinclair’s blog.

44. Bar Beach Swimmer

Knuckle Dragger
    #3438917, posted on May 4, 2020 at 8:00 am

45. mh

Currency Lad (C.L.) has put up many new posts recently that are simply lifting a comment that has appeared on the Open Forum.

46. jupes

Roman decimation was more effective.

Not if you had to fight a battle the next day.

47. Cassie of Sydney

“Roman decimation was more effective.”

Not in a German forest.

48. Knuckle Dragger

That’s kinda the point mh.

If there’s a subject that comes up that deserves its own discussion base without being drowned or snapped at by tranny jokes and point scoring it gets its own gig. As the man said, some die off almost straight away and some develop a life of their own.

But it all (all right, most of it) comes from the OT.

Disclaimer: Not a blog professional. The last boat I was in was 4.8 metres. Never been to Vietnam.

calli

#3438873, posted on May 4, 2020 at 6:44 am

Who paid?

Highly moderated?
    OK. Who does the moderation? And how long before there are 3,000 emails in Sinc’s inbox, how come I get moderated out and X’s comments get through?
    Invitation only?
    Oh, yes.
    See above.
    “How on earth did A and B score an invite to the inner sanctum?”

51. notafan

That highly moderated invitation only would be the most interesting place on the internet.

Full of lese majeste

‘Fight boring’

52. Nick

Highly moderated

And here sir we have a winner. At the Cat we wonder just who is interested in more Government crackdowns re the virus, download the app now, etc etc.

Now we know who.

53. Sinclair Davidson

Gentlepeople – comments like this are what I want to see less of:

And then the comments in response, like this one:

Please let it go.

As Leigh Lowe indicates above, self-moderation is the only way the Cat can work. There is no viable highly-moderated model, or invitation model only. This is it. So please make more of an effort to make it work.

54. JD

Thank you Doomlord for having mercy on us 🙂

There are many quiet lurkers here who have enjoyed the lively banter and learned much from the extensive knowledge of the contributors here. Like DrBG and many others, the day does not start without a good dose of Tom at 4am. For those who can see much dust in their brother’s eyes but not the log in their own, please do go back to Spec Savers and get the prescription changed. Looking in the mirror might help too. May the collateral damage caused from the collective punishment be a lesson to the few who are hopefully contrite.

May the cat prosper and bring fame and fortune to its owner.

Now, can I get Arky to do a fact check on the following video?

55. Knuckle Dragger

Done.

I made mention of this in passing on the OT. Gorn, if it hasn’t been gorned already.

56. Crossie

Win
    #3438863, posted on May 4, 2020 at 5:58 am

Saturday morning without Tom’s toons was downright pitiful, my hot chocolate just didn’t taste the same.

57. mh

Sinc, those comments were hilarious.

58. Steve

Does this apply to posters as well as commenters?

59. Nick

Sinc, those comments were hilarious.

I thought so, but Sinc’s site, I respect his rules.

60. Perhaps you, Nilk, flew under the writer’s radar at the time – not obviously female enough to a casual glance?

LOL, NKP. It wouldn’t be the first time. I did have a laugh the first time I met Bolta in person. It was a book launch so I went up to say hi and introduce myself. He was gobsmacked and said, “You’re a real person!”

I always thought so. Of course, his mods blocked me years ago so I don’t pay any attention to his blog any more. Life’s too short to worry about antsy mods.