While Trump is living in LaLa Land fuming about a ‘stolen election’ and all of his erstwhile supporters who have failed him, I doubt he will ever come to the realisation that the election loss is his own responsibility, even though everyone else on the planet can see clearly that he is the architect of his own demise.
Let’s count the people he has blamed over the last four years: Mike Pence, Rudi Giuliani, the people he incited to riot on the 6th – his own supporters no less, William Barr, Jeff Sessions, Steve Bannon, Reince Priebus, John Kelly, Rex Tillerson, Mike Pompeo, Jim Mattis, Kirisjen Nielsen, Nikki Haley, Mitch McConnell, Neil Gorsuch,Brett Kavanaugh, Amy Coney Barrett, Republican Governors, Republican Congressmen and Senators, Mick Mulvaney, Kellyanne Conway, H.R. McMaster, and many, many more. In fact Donald Trump has had a staff turnover rate more than double any previous president.
Every credible authority – and conservatives are supposed to defend institutions – especially the Courts (including numerous Trump appointees) and those with responsibilities of Office have found NO evidence to support the ‘stolen election’ claim. It’s very easy for this blog or that blog or commentator to make wild claims based on a fiction, but when it comes to presenting evidence in Court – and there have been over 60 Court cases ALL of which went against Trump – where one can be convicted of perjury we find no evidence at all.
Similarly when it comes to sophistry like saying that the riot (and it was a violent riot by any definition) was caused by Antifa and the like is not supported by evidence. There are numerous cameras and facial recognition and if Antifa was involved they will be charged with criminal offenses like so many MAGA people are being charged now.
It takes some wild conspiracy theory about the deep state infecting all of the public institutions to think otherwise. A degree of conspiracy that is just not credible.
But Occam’s Razor is the correct way of thinking this through – the simplest explanation is usually the best. And the conclusions are inevitable and reliable:
- Donald Trump was the architect of his own loss
- Donald Trump trashed his legacy and his misbehaviour led to the election of Joe Biden and a majority of democrats in both houses of Congress
- Donald Trump lost the election by a substantial margin
- Donald Trump incited the riot on 6 January – this was the final straw which has alienated some of his most erstwhile supporters and will lead to an ever greater aversion to his period in office
- History will view Donald Trump as one of, if not the, worst president in US history, a man who was incapable of acting as a balanced chief executive, was narcissistic to a degree unprecedented since Narcissus
- The four years of his administration are the wasted years – the lost opportunity for a democratic market economy
- Even his most rusted on supporters will desert him after 20 January. To have worked in the White House of Donald Trump will not be seen as a badge of honour, but a mark of dishonour
- Donald Trump, finally, has ruined the political prospects of his family. That concerns me not, for they are smarmy unethical and unprincipled parasites