Open Forum: January 16, 2021

4,220 Responses to Open Forum: January 16, 2021

1. Speedbox says:

Employers will be allowed to require workers to vaccinate against coronavirus, a workplace law expert says, despite assurances from the federal government the jab will be voluntary.

As the vaccine’s national rollout approaches, there are calls for greater clarity around the authority of businesses and rights of their employees.

It comes after a Brisbane care worker who was terminated for refusing a flu jab launched an unfair dismissal case against her former employer.

Zana Bytheway, executive director of employment rights legal centre JobWatch, said employers had a responsibility to provide a safe work environment.

As part of fulfilling that obligation, they may require that workers are vaccinated at the company’s expense.

The softening up begins.

2. John of Mel says:

This lady (Catherine Austin Fitts) provides an interesting angle on the situation around Wu-Flu in general and lockdowns in particular.
    Her opinion is that the elites are trying to make it impossible for the Main street workers to finance populist candidates, like they did in 2016, by removing sources of independent income (small business, private practice etc.). That’s only one point out of many more she makes in this interview. She talks about bigger goals, which cats are already aware of, ultimately leading to global slavery.

3. Dr Faustus says:

Has anyone said that microplastics are racist yet?
    I could be first!

Do try to keep up.

4. H B Bear says:

Global slavery? That sounds like hard work.

5. Zyconoclast says:

Cambridge University is to admit disadvantaged students who left school with BBB grades at A-level as part of a new diversity drive.

The 800-year-old institution is recruiting 50 students for a new foundation year which is aimed at boosting the number of undergraduates from deprived families.

The course will be open to students from underprivileged backgrounds, including those from low income families, poorly performing schools, those who have spent time in care, or who have had their education disrupted due to ill health.

The usual offer to students who want to study at Cambridge is at least A*AA, but the university hopes to attract talented students who have missed out on top grades through circumstances out of their control. Cambridge has specified that “disruption caused by Covid-19 resulting in school or college closure is not in itself applicable”.

6. kaysee says:

DuckDuckGo surpasses 100 million daily search queries for the first time

Privacy-focused search engine DuckDuckGo reached a major milestone in its 12-year-old history this week when it recorded on Monday its first-ever day with more than 100 million user search queries.

The achievement comes after a period of sustained growth the company has been seeing for the past two years, and especially since August 2020, when the search engine began seeing more than 2 billion search queries a month on a regular basis. The numbers are small in comparison to Google’s 5 billion daily search queries but it’s a positive sign that users are looking for alternatives.

7. Farmer Gez says:

Anyone going to bother with Australia Day this year?

Seems to me that the UK withdrew from the EU to be British.
    Our state premiers have withdrawn from the Federation to be arseholes.

8. Zyconoclast says:

Black athletes have launched a legal assault on what they are calling the chronic bias by the NCAA. Last month in federal court in Indianapolis, a lawsuit was filed alleging the governing body of college sports singles out historically Black colleges and universities (HBCUs) for bans from postseason play in Division I, the highest level of competition.

The class-action suit, filed on behalf of three former and recent HBCU athletes at Savannah State and Howard universities, centers on NCAA rules that say a sports program must maintain about a 50% graduation rate to qualify for postseason tournaments,

9. Zyconoclast says:

Sephora’s plan to combat racial bias: Fewer security guards, more Black-owned brands

International makeup chain Sephora is implementing sweeping changes in its merchandising, marketing, and employee training practices in one of the most public efforts by a major retailer to mitigate the potential for racial profiling and other discriminatory practices at its stores.

10. kaysee says:

India develops COVID treatment kit for less than $3 per person with ‘miraculous’ ivermectin

While the United States continues its aggressive military roll-out of novel, expensive and dangerous pharmaceutical vaccines, India has developed a “miraculously” effective and safe COVID-19 treatment kit which costs merely $2.65 per person and has helped put the nation’s case and fatality rates in “steep decline.”

Last month, several medical experts testified before the U.S. Senate Homeland Security Committee in favor of authorizing ivermectin for early treatment of the novel coronavirus. Among them, Dr. Pierre Kory, founding member of Front Line Covid-19 Critical Care Alliance (FLCCC), explained that ivermectin, a Nobel Prize–winning anti-parasitic agent, “basically obliterates transmission of this virus,” with “miraculous effectiveness.”

“I’ve been treating COVID pretty much every single day since the onset,” Kory said. “When I say ‘miracle’ I do not use that term lightly…that is a scientific recommendation based on mountains of data that has emerged in the last three months.”

11. Geriatric Mayfly says:

By reducing the number of plastics, we consume, we can reduce the unfair burdens they bare.

Scourged, I was, in that link good Doctor by the flailing whips of green. I never imagined that Tupperware or Sistema could lead to so much misery for BIPOC’s, so called. Nevertheless, at every cut, each point advanced was taken to heart; except the last sentence which rained upon me rather weakly.

12. Zulu Kilo Two Alpha says:

Anyone going to bother with Australia Day this year?

Only in arguing that all the talk of an “invasion” is bullshit.

13. H B Bear says:

Anyone going to bother with Australia Day this year?

Anyone bother with Australia Day any year?

14. notafan says:

Nope.

15. notafan says:

How do plastics bare burdens?

16. kaysee says:

Mexican president mounts campaign against social media bans

Mexico’s president vowed Thursday to lead an international effort to combat what he considers censorship by social media companies that have blocked or suspended the accounts of U.S. President Donald Trump.

President Andrés Manuel López Obrador’s administration is reaching out to other government to form a common front on the issue.

“I can tell you that at the first G20 meeting we have, I am going to make a proposal on this issue,” López Obrador said. “Yes, social media should not be used to incite violence and all that, but this cannot be used as a pretext to suspend freedom of expression.”

“How can a company act as if it was all powerful, omnipotent, as a sort of Spanish Inquisition on what is expressed?” he asked.</blockquote>

17. Cassie of Sydney says:

Here’s the scum US MSM trying to cancel actor Matthew McConaughey…

18. Johno says:

Oz day is not a thing for me . So many people against it , so few for it. Not much left in this joint.

Have never given it much thought, always thought it was the way things were,that didn’t last did it?

19. H B Bear says:

BBL crowds now rival Sheffield Shield crowds. Forget lines you would struggle to find someone to have a beer with.

20. H B Bear says:

Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition.

21. Geriatric Mayfly says:

How do plastics bare burdens?

Presuming that, on the word of doom mongers, if they get into our food chain we reveal fat arses and pendulous dugs in the shower.

22. Bruce of Newcastle says:

How do plastics bare burdens?

Ask the Gimp.
    Pulp Fiction is on 9Go in half an hour.

23. calli says:

Anyone going to bother with Australia Day this year?

Yes. As always, I’ll have the family around for roast lamb and pav. And prawns. I usually put little flags around the table too. 🇦🇺

24. calli says:

How do plastics bare burdens?

Cling Wrap?

25. calli says:

Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition.

I do. The secret is Plausible Deniability.

26. Rex Anger says:

Anyone going to bother with Australia Day this year?

Avsolutely!

Any excuse to run a train, and take a day off from work.

Even if the humidity is awful… ☹

27. notafan says:

Swaggers into cat pleased as punch that i just really annoyed a blue tick on Twitter, enough that I got a nonsensical response.

28. kaysee says:

A new era in gushing reporting begins.

Glenn Greenwald

Not even North Korean TV would say this. Just listen.

Daily Caller

CNN’s David Chalian says that the side lights on the National Mall’s reflecting pool are like “extensions of Joe Biden’s arms embracing America.”

29. calli says:

Fish and barrels, nota. How unsporting of you! 😀

30. notafan says:

I wasn’t even aiming my barrel at him.

Can’t say its the first time it’s happened either.

One bloke (admittedly I’d never heard of was very very cross with me.

Two of them get mentioned regularly on the cat.

31. calli says:

extensions of Joe Biden’s arms embracing America.

Note to Joe: America is too big too sniff all at one go. Do it incrementally. C’mon man!

32. Elizabeth (Lizzie) Beare says:

Anyone going to bother with Australia Day this year?

I’m thinking of inviting a few people around. How many are we currently ‘allowed’?

33. kaysee says:

CNN says it can be done. And CNN is always right.

34. Old Lefty says:

Here’s a case study in ABC political correctness:

Women kill their children as much as men, but it’s all the fault of the heteropatriarchy anyway.

35. Old Lefty says:

Australia Day? I’m planning to do the quintessential Aussie suburban bloke thing and mow the lawn.

36. Elizabeth (Lizzie) Beare says:

Terrible metaphor. Biden’s arms have been far too busy embracing young girls already.

Weren’t there any side lights when Donald Trump got inaugurated?
    Donald embraced America and America embraced Donald back.

Can’t see that happening for Biden.

37. Old Lefty says:

Let’s see how long the process against Ghislaine Maxwell lasts when the Democrats get control of the system.

38. notafan says:

Photo of Kamala at a party with Ghislaine circulating on twitter.

39. zyconoclast says:

Where too much winning is barely enough!

President Trump on Tuesday commuted the prison sentence of Death Row Records’ co-founder Michael “Harry O” Harris for attempted murder and cocaine trafficking, a friend who advocated for his release told The Post.

The move came shortly after it was revealed that rapper Snoop Dogg had been secretly lobbying the White House on behalf of Harris.

Snoop’s efforts came even though he’s been an outspoken critic of Trump — and even made a video in which he pretended to shoot a clown dressed as the president.

Angelos, however, credited First Daughter Ivanka Trump for Harris’ impending release more than seven years before it was scheduled to take place on June 13, 2028.

“The credit on this one goes to Ivanka Trump because Ivanka Trump was not going to take no for an answer,” he said.

40. notafan says:

Thanks GM as plausible as anything.

My sil was giving out gifts of lumps of home made shampoo last year. I should have stuck into her bathrooms at Christmas and checked if that was still a thing.

41. Bruce of Newcastle says:

La Nina has turned my lawn into the creature from Little Shop of Horrors.
    If I leave it 6 more days my house will disappear beneath it.

42. On the coming European Electrical Grid Disaster:

To deal with the power grid instability problems, Germany’s Economics Minister Peter Altmaier presented a draft law that would allow electric utilities “to temporarily cut off the charging power for e-cars when there is once again too little electricity available”, an idea known as “peak smoothing”.

Hahahaha!
    This is going to be 2021’s song!

43. Perfidious Albino says:

Old Lefty – of course, that ABC report on filicide being committed equally by fathers and mothers (are we still allowed to call them that?!) makes no mention at all of late term abortions.

44. Old Lefty says:

Closer to home than Ghislaine Maxwell, have a read of John Whitehall at Quadrant Online:

45. MatrixTransform says:

Fish and barrels, nota. How unsporting of you!

Meh … they’re not used to her

46. Cassie of Sydney says:

“In contrast to the appalling leftist PC persecution of Dr Kok, see Whitehall’s account of how ALP appointee Heather Lambrick of VCAT, who found against Kok, has allowed a procession of p3d0s and homosexual r0pists to have working with children checks. But of course they weren’t clergy or political conservatives.”

I read it OL….I was shocked. Victoria is stuffed.

47. Frank says:

We have wallabies for that.

48. MatrixTransform says:

But on this most auspicious of nights, permit me then, in lieu of the more commonplace sobriquet, to suggest the character of this dramatis persona:

Voilà! In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran, cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of Fate. This visage, no mere veneer of vanity, is a vestige of the vox populi now vacant, vanished.

However, this valorous visitation of a by-gone vexation stands vivified and has vowed to vanquish these venal and virulent vermin van-guarding vice and vouchsafing the violently vicious and voracious violation of volition.

The only verdict is vengeance—a vendetta, held as a votive, not in vain, for the value and veracity of such shall one day vindicate the vigilant and the virtuous.

Verily, this vichyssoise of verbiage veers most verbose, so let me simply add that it’s my very good honour to meet you and you may call me V.

49. notafan says:

Don’t try and spoil it MT. You don’t know who it was or what it was about. I didn’t even comment on his timeline, he, a very well known journalist just thought he’d squash me like a bug.

50. calli says:

Hmmm…I can make an edumacated guess. 😀 🏴‍☠️

51. MatrixTransform says:

Don’t try and spoil it MT

Na, good on ya nota.

kick ’em in the nuts

52. Jo says:

Dr Faustus, Re Bill Clinton. I give you Chelsea Clinton. If she is not the result of devil worship, Killary. I don’t know what is.

53. Bruce of Newcastle says:

you may call me V

You want a foot massage?

54. kaysee says:

Winston Smith
    #3729234, posted on January 18, 2021 at 10:07 pm

Sure.
    I’m here every night.
    Try the veal.

Winston, when I read your response to my faith-related comment the other day, I took it to be a genuine question since it was addressed to me.

Later, I thought that it might just have been a rhetorical query. In which case, I’ll let it pass.

If you were seriously making an observation, I am happy to answer – from my experience.
    Don’t worry about the veal. I’ll make sure you are on the premises, before I tap away at my keyboard. 🙂

55. Roger says:

They’ll be back to horses pulling carts before long.

The French parliament recently passed a bill to phase out 15 nuclear reactors and spend $200bn + on subsidies – sorry, “investment” – in wind and solar over the next 15 years.

A group of French electrical engineers reported that the grid would be so destabilised thereby that resort to gas and coal would be the only recourse to supply the necessary baseload.

Oh, the ironing!.

56. Dr Faustus says:

Good point.

57. Delta A says:

Anyone going to bother with Australia Day this year?

Absolutely!

Flags* raised at dawn, or as soon as the guys can attach the flagpoles to the gazebo. Prawns and Aussie BBG with the family, with beer, champers, chablis, and fruit punch for the nippers.

Musical entertainment by the talented grandies in the afternoon. Wouldn’t miss it for quids.

* In past years there have been incidences of flag envy among the troops. So far, no-one has erased the smug smirk from Best Man’s face.

58. Jo says:

Are there any ‘grassy knoll’s close to Sniffies inauguration, asking for 76,000,000 patriots.

59. kaysee says:

Mixed Bag ∘◦∘◦ ᘛ⁐̤ᕐᐶ

One

Two

Three

60. kaysee says:

🐹

One

Two

Three

61. Pedro the Loafer says:

I had been sent an invitation late last year to attend the Shire’s Australia Day Citizenship swearing in ceremony.

Covid has stopped all immigration sez the Shire gal, sadly. I refrained from laughing out loud.

Every cloud has a silver lining.

62. Bruce of Newcastle says:

Anyone going to bother with Australia Day this year?
    Absolutely!

I will be saluting the original inhabitants with bread and Coles mince.

63. BrettW says:

Just read the full list of Trumps pardons at Daily Mail. Whilst the number seems a lot the great majority are far from controversial. Many are drug cases where defendant got a long mandatory sentence. Frauds another group and a few are former veterans. In many cases the time has already been served. Many are supported by various people such as AG, polticians, even former Judges and prosecutors, charities and community groups and they are listed.

OK there are a few of his supporters and the rappers but if they are the worst of them then no biggie as far as I can see. I suspect many criticising the list have not read the individual cases outline in the article.

Best comment in the thread by Sir Jimmy Saville was :

“Absolutely despicable that he pardoned Hans Gruber. Many families didn’t see their loved ones that Christmas after the 1988 Nakatomi Tower attack which Gruber facilitated. Shameful”.

64. Barry says:

Here’s a case study in ABC political correctness:

ABC is of course disingenuously lying again.

Mothers kill 47%
    Fathers kill 38%

That’s not “roughly equal” that’s “more”

Mothers kill their children more than Fathers

65. Zulu Kilo Two Alpha says:

Chinese soldiers learn to wage war in English

By Didi Tang
    The Times
    12:31PM January 20, 2021
    9 Comments

Chinese soldiers in the disputed South China Sea are being taught “battlefield English” as part of their training for encounters with foreign forces.

The waters and its islets and shoals, which Beijing claims almost entirely despite international court rulings against it, are a potential flashpoint with the United States and western allies as well as with countries in the region that have competing claims.

“You are surrounded. Surrender,” a Chinese soldier yells in English in a training video shown on China Central Television, a state broadcaster. A phrasebook being given to soldiers contains phrases such as “Do not die for nothing”, “Lay down your arms or we’ll fire”, and “Swim to us, we can assure your safety”.

The television news anchor declared that basic proficiency in English has become a requirement for the People’s Liberation Army because of rising tensions in the region, which was blamed on foreign governments intent on provoking trouble.

66. Zyconoclast says:

Good point.

Rosemary’s Baby?

67. mh says:

Dr Faustus
    #3730807, posted on January 20, 2021 at 1:44 pm

…There is zero evidence, none at all, that Bill Clinton is, or ever has been, a Satan-worshipper.

I know there is evidence of Hillary at least having a keen interest.
    I’ve posted about it.

68. Snoopy says:

ABC is of course disingenuously lying again.

Mothers kill 47%
    Fathers kill 38%

That’s not “roughly equal” that’s “more”

And let’s not mention abortion.

69. Black Ball says:

I’ll be taking in Australia Day with a bowls tournament in Culgoa. Don’t have a barbie alas, cold meat and salad for lunch. Beer is cold, temperature over 40. What’s not to like?

70. Zulu Kilo Two Alpha says:

This one’s for agricultural Cats – seems the first shipment of malting barley – 35,000 tonnes – has gone to Mexico to make beer.

71. Knuckle Dragger says:

‘The West won’t die, but it will slowly morph into something very different.
    A lot of what today is still cultural literacy will be lost.
    Cults like climate change will have to play themselves out.
    Surveillance will increase. Identity faddishness will continue.’

Vietnam will endure.

72. Rockdoctor says:

Australia Day this year will be overnighting in Charters Towers. No Goldfield Ashes this year so accommodation easy. Will have to have a bbq & beers there.

73. thefrollickingmole says:

Barry
    Did you notice they slip in stepfathers as the same as biological dads.

So billy hon smoke who shacked up with Shazza a month ago is “dad”

74. Kaysee:

More a rhetorical post drink smartarse comment from me. Nothing personal was meant.
    Sometimes the anger gets the better of me.
    My apologies. I will try to do better, but cannot guarantee success.
    I’d prefer to leave it as is.
    Ta.

75. Knuckle Dragger says:

The Goldfield Ashes.

Takes me back. The ’93/94 and ’94/95 tours in particular.

76. Terry Pedersen says:

Don’t try and spoil it MT. You don’t know who it was or what it was about.

No proof has been presented that it actually happened.

77. Knuckle Dragger says:

I have proof that Ricky Slater’s as dead as dogshit.

78. Just got a phone call saying don’t bother, no foreigners in town to make citizens.
    Every cloud has a silver lining.

Haha! The time frame to citizenship is several years.

Apparently there’s Seven new citizens to be branded in my town. Two of ’em are staff of mine, I’ve no idea who the others are, presumably a mix of staff from other pubs, backpackers who’ve stayed on & shagged their way into citizenship, & perhaps an overseas spouse or two.

That’s the usual mix here, anyway.

79. Delta A says:

Winston Smith
    #3731360, posted on January 20, 2021 at 9:42 pm

Anyone who survived that place deserves a medal.

That’s what you are, Winnie: a survivor.

80. Knuckle Dragger says:

These are the gongbangers responsible for destroying half a million dollars’ worth of stock on an NT cattle station:

‘TWO men facing charges over the shooting deaths of 30 horses at Killarney Station last year have been given a new court date.

‘Timothy James Playford and Glenn Littlechild, who each face charges of damage to property and aggravated cruelty to animals, will return to court on February 23.

‘At the pair’s first appearance in November, defence counsel Jon Bortoli said the men would fight the charges, adjourning the matter “given the size of the brief” with a view to proceeding to a contested hearing in the Local Court.

‘But police prosecutor Leighton Arnolt said they would not consent to the case being heard summarily and requested a committal mention so the case could be heard by a Supreme Court judge.’

Word around the campfire is the police prosecutor is particularly fond of neddies, and has quite a few of his own.

81. Rockdoctor says:

Great isn’t it KD. Too bad COVID has killed it this year albeit to my advantage. I just spent the day with 3 workers from SYD. Queensland Gov says I should test when I cross on Saturday, yeah na. Probably knowing my luck I’ll get a false positive…

82. Tel says:

83. Knuckle Dragger says:

Some of the best and longest weekends I’ve ever had RD.

Top shelf all the way.

84. Zulu Kilo Two Alpha says:

Were they the morons who claimed they thought they were shooting wild horses?

85. Knuckle Dragger says:

Aha.

Pulp Fiction.

86. Tel says:

Sorry … but the “aggravated cruelty” charges?

Is that because they were bad shots and failed to get a clean kill? I presume that must also apply to rabbit snares and fox baits … it would have to because we know the law has very consistent standards.

87. Have you told them yet that they will be fired? Because there’s jobs that Australians won’t do, and obviously we need foreign labour n at otherwise shortages! Shortages!!

I didn’t even realise they weren’t citizens until they asked for the afternoon off to go & get sworn in.

88. Sorry … but the “aggravated cruelty” charges?

Apparently quite a few of the horses they shot were left still alive…

89. Zulu Kilo Two Alpha says:

Killarney Station management reported 30 of their horses had been shot and killed on September 19.

It has been alleged the two men were allowed onto the 541,400ha property to shoot feral animals but had also allegedly shot horses close to the homestead used by station workers.

90. Knuckle Dragger says:

‘Is that because they were bad shots and failed to get a clean kill?’

Yep, for some of them.

91. JC says:

Like his arms are outstretched embracing the nation.

This is the kid sniffer involved in influence peddling.

92. The owners of Killarney are …er.. not without clout… & are not the sort of employers one would expect to forgive small mistakes, never mind large-scale wanton destruction.

93. Geriatric Mayfly says:

Anyone going to bother with Australia Day this year?
    Absolutely!
    I will be saluting the original inhabitants with bread and Coles mince.

“We expect something more in keeping with our status than monotony on this our special day.”
    Something from the Bruce Pascoe recipe book would be more to our Ozzie taste, such as lot-fed marsupial and organic bread made from the seeds of wild grasses.

94. Steve trickler says:

F15’s out of JFK. A WTF! moment for those passengers on the A380 and other aircraft.

95. Knuckle Dragger says:

Oh man.

Ezekiel 25:17 makes an appearance. Great vengeance and fuuuurious anger.

96. MatrixTransform says:

No proof has been presented that it actually happened

the kick in nuts?

97. Were they the morons who claimed they thought they were shooting wild horses?

Something like that.
    They’re in some difficulty with that. Apparently their permission to hunt feral animals was conditional upon no shooting within a radius of several kilometres of the station buildings, & were provided a station map, with “no shooting” areas clearly marked.

98. Zulu Kilo Two Alpha says:

Cowboys like that should never be allowed to own so much as a cap pistol.

99. Cowboys like that should never be allowed to own so much as a cap pistol.

They’re doing well to still own their heads.
    Just as well for them they were well out of there by the time the ringers discovered the fate of the horse plant.

100. Snoopy says:

That’s the usual mix here, anyway.

Sounds like TI.

Except I’m not sure the Mayor she would work the public holiday.

101. Except I’m not sure the Mayor she would work the public holiday.

That’s a good point. All these Australia Day public events that councils run (including the branding of new voters) must cost the ratepayers a fortune in public holiday penalty rates.

102. Snoopy says:

Mayors and councillors don’t get penalty rates. I think.

103. Geriatric Mayfly says:

Obummer administration.

So nothing new then, a new broom without bristles.

104. Leigh Lowe says:

Knuckle Dragger

#3731371, posted on January 20, 2021 at 9:58 pm

Does memory fail me?
    When this first came to light, were there people here bleating about talk of them being summarily drummed out of their gun club?
    Caving into the anti-gun lobby or summink.
    To be clear I am squarely in the anti-dickhead lobby and these two need to be banned for life from gun ownership.

105. Knuckle Dragger says:

Bloody hell.

Now I’ve got a mate I haven’t seen for ten years sending me clips of fat Pommy chicks proclaiming that one of the C19 vaccines is chockers with lab-created foetus bits.

The reference source for this, naturally, is Wikipedia.

Enough. No I’m not getting the goddamn jab (eleven days to go, Faulty) for about a dozen decent reasons, but I don’t need third-rate scare tactics from fat chicks to validate me either.

And because Uma Thurman just overdosed, it’s farter time.

106. Snoopy says:

Geriatric Mayfly
    #3731412, posted on January 20, 2021 at 11:07 pm
    Biden to sign 17 executive orders

I can remember when executive orders were an affront to democracy and the unmistakable mark of a dictator.

107. Mayors and councillors don’t get penalty rates. I think.

There’s plenty of council staff gophering at those events – given their usual standard of contribution to anything they shouldn’t be paid extra – what’s the odds they’re on big dough for the day? (or a big addition to their time-in-lieu?)

108. Leigh Lowe says:

And because Uma Thurman just overdosed, it’s farter time.

Now that was a real vaccination.
    The vet’s needle full of adrenaline straight into the chest.

109. Knuckle Dragger says:

‘summarily drummed out of their gun club’

The Sporting Shooters Association, yep. Took the membership about ten seconds to do it, and rightly so.

110. Zyconoclast says:

Washington state officially begins human composting

Washington state officially begins human composting
    By Amanda Woods
    People in Washington state can now literally push up daisies after their death — as the first human composting efforts in the country recently began there, according to a new report.

Two facilities in the Evergreen State received their first bodies for human composting — also known as “natural organic reductions” — last month, local outlet KOIN reported.

Herland Forest, a nonprofit research center in Klickitat County, is one of them.

“This is simply another option at a time when people feel they have no options,” Patrick told the station. “You know, death has intervened and changed your life forever. How can you do something at least to make it the way you want?”

Gov. Jay Inslee signed legislation in 2019 legalizing human composting. Advocates say that composting uses less energy than cremation, calling it a greener alternative, according to the local report.

Composting is now the only legal way for Washingtonians to be laid to rest on their own property, though in the form of mulch, according to the outlet.

Besides Herland Forest, the Seattle-based facility Recompose has also begun the process — with eight bodies so far, a spokesperson told the outlet. A total of 420 “Precompose” members have made advance payments for their future death care.

A third facility, Return Home in Auburn, expects to open later this year.

Walt Patrick, senior steward at the facility, told the station the “natural organic reductions” are an investment, and it could take several weeks before the composting process is complete.

The process begins when the body is placed in a “NOR cradle” along with 200 gallons of wood chips, Patrick said. Bacteria, protozoa and fungi are dispensed into the mixture to speed up the process. Oxygen is also added to keep it between 145 and 155 degrees.

Solar panels provide extra heat as needed.

The final result is four 55-gallon drums full of usable compost, according to Patrick.

The family of the deceased can decide to keep all of it, or donate a portion to Herland Forest to help grow new trees in the cemetery.

111. Snoopy says:

No doubt.

112. Leigh Lowe says:

Was there not a bit of criticism here that the Darwin SSA had “caved in”?
    Apart from the ponies, the mere fact they went on the rampage in an area they were told not to go is enough to unscrew their heads, shit down their necks and screw their heads back on … cross-threaded.

113. Pedro the Loafer says:

Council workers luuurve these ceremonial days.

Overtime out the wazoo to set up and dismantle tables, chairs, platforms and marquees, lots of free sausage sizzles and beer tents that need oversight.

Score!

114. Knuckle Dragger says:

‘Was there not a bit of criticism here that the Darwin SSA had “caved in”?’

Not sure LL. There may have been a bit of that but only briefly – the SSA threw these two clowns off a cliff and into the path of a cavalcade of buses. A more immediate distancing you’ve never seen.

No stand up pressers. No carefully crafted statements claiming their actions ‘were not consistent with our values’. Just – fuck off, and fuck off now.

The anti-gun lobby’s the last thing these two should be afeared of. As mentioned by others, the Killarney Station people are not to be trifled with. Under any circumstances, let alone if you’re gunning down their working stock and children’s pets.

115. Farmer Gez says:

News doing the rounds of ABC Vic today that there are calls to ban duck season because only 25% of shooters can identify duck species.
    Bullshit run by animal lib activists and given a run without rudimentary research as the the truth of the claim.
    From the Vic Gov site.

Before you can hunt game birds including duck, you need to pass the Waterfowl Identification Test. This test ensures that only those hunters able to demonstrate adequate identification skills are permitted to hunt ducks in Victoria.

Adolescent activists compiling the news at Aunty. Shut the place down.

116. It continues.
    It seems person or persons not yet captured are random slaughtering livestock in the Top End.
    Bow & Arrows. Several killings.

117. feelthebern says:

That’s what’s so good about Honolulu.
    And Kona.

118. Mark A says:

In case of a headache,do exactly what it says on the box!
    Take two tablets and keep away from small children!!!!!

119. JC says:

Drills

Thanks for the heads up. Will be on the look out if it happens again.

120. JC says:

Driller news alert.
    Kangaroo got wiped out along the Stuart hwy two weeks ago.

121. Pedro the Loafer says:

I’m having fun watching the gold/silver/platinum markets ducking and weaving waiting for Granpa Joe’s swearing in.

Not touching it with a ten foot pole tonight, but fascinating seeing how the short term traders are bouncing around.

122. JC says:

Buy Aussie on dips, Pedro.

123. Tony Rooney says:

Knuckle Dragger
    #3731382, posted on January 20, 2021 at 10:09 pm
    ‘Is that because they were bad shots and failed to get a clean kill?’

Yep, for some of them.

Horses -Tents, whatever.

It can’t be said often enough.

Some people, should in no circumstances be entrusted with firearms.

In the 1960’s 63,735 national servicemen were conscripted to serve in the Army. Roughly 25% of those were deployed to Vietnam.

One of the Orange Mans most “insulting, racist and violent” comments during his Presidency was that “they’re not sending their best.”

Hard to argue with.

Does it hold true for the Australian Army in Vietnam?

Given a massive pool of 63,735 ‘conscripts’ and then only sending 15,381 of them to serve in Vietnam. (Ignoring for a moment all those other ‘conscripts’ who fought and died on contemporaneous active service in Malaysia and Borneo, or those who were conscripted in both post war schemes and made a career out of soldiering,)

Somebody tries to get the fact that we didn’t send our best beaten into us. Day after day after day after day.

There were many that found that short service and the possibility of a ‘war service loan” and the opportunity of a ‘gold card’ attractive enough to volunteer for ‘conscription’.

We actually did send our best.

With one singular exception…

124. Leigh Lowe says:

Crosse-bowes.
    Reminds me of the glorie days of carte cavalcades.

125. JC says:

No exaggeration, the demented kid sniffer could create a massive human tragedy by announcing laxity towards illegal immigration. Thousands could pour through the border during COVID thereby fucking the US hospital systems in the impacted regions.

The kid sniffer was never smart, but now he’s a dangerous demented fool.

126. mh says:

Sportsbet have Trump @ $11 for US Presidential election 2024.

#MAGA 🇺🇸

127. BrettW says:

Article on American Thinker has this quote whilst discussing the BLM protesters in places like Portland and Seattle. Also applies to Oz day and flag and national anthems.

1960s radical Yippie Jerry Rubin famously said,

“Satisfy our demands and we’ve got twelve more. The more demands you satisfy, the more we got.”

128. Pedro the Loafer says:

Buy Aussie on dips, Pedro.

from JC.

Good advice, JC, would have made a good profit over the last week, but I am afeared of the shitstorm that lies ahead after Ol’ Joe gets the brass ring.

Keeping the head below the parapet for a while.

129. Bruce in WA says:

This somehow just seems so appropriate right now …

130. mh says:

#pray for Madrid

131. Mark A says:

Saw quote, “The US kept exporting democracy so long that they had none left for themselves”

132. Mark A says:

Fascinating. Worth a few minutes.

133. Mark A says:

Mick says to Paddy: “Close your curtains the next time you’re having sex with your wife.

The whole street was watching and laughing at you yesterday.
    Paddy says: “Well the joke’s on them because I wasn’t even at home yesterday”!

134. I don’t even know what that David Rowe cartoon is supposed to mean.

135. Christian Adams. As if …

Haha, Biden started off by questioning the integrity & loyalty of the troops.

136. GM:

Biden to sign 17 executive orders Wednesday afternoon restoring policies as they were under the Obummer administration.

Whose name will he sign it in?

137. 1735099 says:

Thanks, Tom.
    Broelman wins today, although Rowe is also great.

138. calli says:

Which Biden? Won’t he need a little nap?

Cross for me too.

139. Cassie of Sydney says:

Morning to the waacist.

140. Cassie of Sydney says:

I see the racist is up early.

141. Cassie of Sydney says:

Isn’t the name “White House” now racist? Methinks it is time to change the name.

142. feelthebern says:

The United States is also a one-party state, but with typical American extravagance, they have two of them.

h/t half the internet who have taken credit for it over the years.

143. Knuckle Dragger says:

I heard Joe Biden watches The Gorilla Channel 24/7.

144. Knuckle Dragger says:

Skah, of course, is running a Biden tongue bath.

This includes the foppish, wokest world leaders in history, those of France and Canada pumping his tyres up.

Morrison’s ‘welcome message’ is, naturally, cheesy boilerplate.

145. 1735099 says:

Four years to flatten the perv.

Grabbing a woman by the pussy is unfit for YouTube, even if Dettol Donny bragged about it.

146. Knuckle Dragger says:

‘unfit for YouTube’

Speaking of which, clutching a several decades younger and obviously very uncomfortable woman by the shoulders, from behind, and holding her in place before leaning down and inhaling the scent of her hair should probably get a gig as well.

Oh hang on. Old Yeller, didn’t you ‘write’ once about your very similar experiences in that particular field of endeavour? No wonder you’re airbrushing this. Or trying to.

147. feelthebern says:

Hard coking coal hits $US131/t overnight.
    Wow.
    Just wow.

148. Dr Faustus says:

SLEEPY BILL Inauguration Day – Bill Clinton ‘appears to fall ASLEEP’ during Biden swearing-in while seated next to Hillary

Clips posted online show Clinton, 74, with his eyes clearly shut while a TV camera cut to him during Biden’s inaugural address outside the US Capitol.

Poor old bugger can’t win.
    He sleeps with his wife and everybody bags him.

149. 1735099 says:

Only on Catallaxy.
    Go here and read chapter 11 (Sony Radio) for the true story.
    And thanks for the promo.

150. Rex Anger says:

Only on Catallaxy.
    Go here and read chapter 11 (Sony Radio) for the true story.
    And thanks for the
    *BANG!*

No wonder Bobby boy likes Sniffy Joe…

#BirdsOfAFeather

151. feelthebern says:

Why would Trump pardon the dirt bag, extreme lefty, Trump hating former mayor of Detroit ?

152. Rex Anger says:

@ feelthebern-

Because it upset the lefties that he did?

After all, the only thing they hate more than the outsiders they are ordered to hate, is each other…

153. Bruce of Newcastle says:

I heard Joe Biden watches The Gorilla Channel 24/7.

Nah, he’s too busy listening to the planet.
    Biden’s inaugural speech claims he hears planet Earth speaking to him: ‘A cry for survival comes from the planet itself’

Well it won’t be long until he has a ringside seat to planetary whispers when he’s in a box six foot underground with Kamala heaping dirt on top of it.

154. Mater says:

Whataboutism?

155. Mater says:

And to quote a legend….

1735099
    #2992770, posted on April 20, 2019 at 10:03 am

None of this “whataboutism” has anything to do with the current POTUS.
    Classic deflection…..

156. DrBeauGan says:

Four years to flatten the perv.

I guess the trouble is, that if you’re a disgusting old pervert, you can’t see that you’re a disgusting old pervert. Or you wouldn’t be here, would you, numbers?

157. feelthebern says:

I’m going through the final list of pardons & commutations.
    I feel sick because Snowden & Assange weren’t pardoned.
    I feel sicker because of some of the names on the list.
    All you have to do is google each name.
    Sick.

158. Geriatric Mayfly says:

Not even Gaia is safe, those fingers itch for the free, fresh, wind in her hair.

159. Dr Faustus says:

The Grauniad sees joy unbounded in every detail:

Biden and Harris dress to reassure that normal service is restored

The optics of this inauguration were serene, respectful and quietly joyous. Biden and his vice-president, Kamala Harris, the rock stars of the hour, presented as humble public servants, not as celebrities.

They dressed to reassure that their administration would serve all of America, instead of revolving around the attention-seeking theatrics of individual politicians.

Let the tongue bathing begin.

160. mh says:

feelthebern
    #3731658, posted on January 21, 2021 at 9:00 am
    I’m going through the final list of pardons & commutations.
    I feel sick because Snowden & Assange weren’t pardoned.
    I feel sicker because of some of the names on the list.
    All you have to do is google each name.
    Sick.

I expect Ivanka and Jared had a big say.

161. 1735099 says:

Or you wouldn’t be here, would you, numbers?

So writes the phantom stalker of young Cuban mothers.

162. Tel says:

Simple answer: Trump did not pardon him.

He did shorten the guy’s sentence and let him out after serving 7 years in prison … the argument being that he was guilty but 7 years is sufficient. There was a suggestion that black crooked officials get longer sentences than white crooked officials, although hardly any of such crooks get caught and most of them are a bit more careful about hiding their tracks than Kwame Kilpatrick.

163. H B Bear says:

They must think they are at the mosque – down the back, with the sacks.

164. MatrixTransform says:

is theTard agonising again?

the poor old vicarious vietnam veteran
    always defining it’s own superior positionality by opposition to everything else in the world?

yes Bob, you look resplendent this morning

165. Geriatric Mayfly says:

No sign of that swarthy bearer of the needle, who was always only a jab away from the tottering Hillary, when she was on the hustings. Maybe someone less conspicuous was on hand with the distilled monkey glands to administer a shot of youth into old Joe, should he begin to falter on the podium.

166. Leigh Lowe says:

I expect Ivanka and Jared had a big say.

I think that was one of Trump’s characteristics, for better or worse.
    He runs on instinct and gut feel and a very narrow field of advisors.
    Where some might want a lot of detailed written submissions and seek a lot of advice, Trump relies on whether he judges the candidate for clemency as a “good guy”.

167. H B Bear says:

How long will they give Uncle Joe to fill his boots?

168. lotocoti says:

… even if Dettol Donny bragged about it.

If I say “You can shoot a hole in a tent, if you don’t clear your weapon.” doesn’t mean I’ve shot a hole in a tent.

169. H B Bear says:

Will have to give the ALPBC a miss today. More unbearable than usual. My personal BDS day.

170. feelthebern says:

The universal narrative is that they told Trump they’d run dead on the impeachment if he didn’t pardon Assange & Snowden.
    Time will tell.
    Sad.

171. DrBeauGan says:

So writes the phantom stalker of young Cuban mothers.

Nope. One young Cuban mother pursued me, though. Falling back on lies is your standard MO isn’t it?

172. Dr Faustus says:

In Widespread Fears Unrealised news:

Washington deserted after inauguration despite widespread fears of more violent riots

Joe Biden became the 46th US president on Wednesday in a barricaded city, guarded by more than 25,000 troops and emptied of the spectators who usually throng to the quadrennial ritual.

“Just days after a riotous mob thought they could use violence to silence the will of the people, to stop the work of our democracy, to drive us from this sacred ground, it did not happen. It will never happen. Not today, not tomorrow, not ever,” President Biden said.

Fallen state.

173. Tom says:

How long will they give Uncle Joe to fill his boots?

I don’t think the loony left running the Biden presidency really care. Either way, they have total control of the agenda. If anything, the uppity slut from California could be trouble, wanting to hurry up her illicit transition to the presidency. Much easier to keep propping up the corpse while the loonies change America forever.

The Biden presidency will be the Chinese Communist Party on acid.

174. Mother Lode says:

Again, this old canard.

And again, there is no evidence that he ever did it. No one has seen such a thing, no one came forward to say it had happened to them, or even to someone they know.

It has all the hallmarks of a couple of guys talking shit in a private conversation. Perhaps exaggeration (like “He’d sell his own mother to get that promotion”, or “I would give my right arm to be ambidextrous”, or “The fishing is so good you just back up your car and open the boot.”)

Or perhaps not exaggerating. Perhaps saying that he would not be surprised if groupies would let people do that.

Not being a guy, and not really the sort of person guys would trade banter with, Numbers would not have recognised this. Some blog copy/pasting from the NYT copied the line and included for morons’ convenience how they were to interpret it and telling them to keep bleating it over and over like sheep.

Unmentioned in all this (since he would never do otherwise) is perhaps the most striking difference between what Trump referred to, and the notorious record of Democrats – that it would be consensual. The quote speaks of what groupies would let you do.

Watching that old goat sidle up behind girls, hold them in place with his clammy trembling hands, then in one movement bury his head in the stricken child’s hair to flood his senses with ‘little girl’.

And that is without even having to refer to the shrunken grey husk of a man that is Bill Clinton, and the trail of carnal carnage he left in his wake.

175. Cassie of Sydney says:

I don’t recall Dr BG using Google Earth to “spy” on men, women and children on a Perth beach. I do recall another poster admitting he did.

176. Spurgeon Monkfish III says:

Obummer administration.

So nothing new then …

The face nappie mandate is new.

177. DrBeauGan says:

I rather liked Maria and still do. I feel sad that she felt that what you might call extreme flirting was her best strategy for getting money off me. But this is the practical reality in a socialist workers paradise.

178. Geriatric Mayfly says:

The face nappie mandate is new.

A matter of such great pitch and moment continuing American exceptionalism is guaranteed.

179. Mother Lode says:

The face nappie mandate is new.

If it is at all like Michelle Obama and her weight problem meaning that every schoolkid in America would have to go on a diet, Biden will likely be signing an executive order mandating Depends.

I wonder if they will re-name the Presidential plane ‘Hair-Snorts One’?

180. Cassie of Sydney says:

And here is the racist’s post…

“1735099
    #3405781, posted on April 11, 2020 at 2:22 pm
    We will not be defeated.

Watching Cottesloe live right now.
    Lots of groups of two or three.
    Apparently “households”.
    Rozzers separating a bunch of jet skiers who were congregating.
    The beach looks very quiet for Easter Saturday.
    Plebs are cooperating and working to defeat the virus.

Normal people don’t do that.

181. Roger says:

Obummer administration.

Normal service has resumed.

182. Geriatric Mayfly says:

Watch out for Doctor Jill on this one. She’s a qualified kids’ specialist, unlike her husband. The minute she starts planting rocket near the dunny at the back of the WH, be very afraid kids of America.

183. H B Bear says:

Normal service has resumed.

Swamp’s back baby. Resistance is futile.

184. vr says:

What did the libertarians do?

185. 1735099 says:

But but – Dettol Donny would never tell a lie.

186. Mother Lode says:

She’s a qualified kids’ specialist

So the pair of them have a thing for kids.

Anyway, she did a bang up job bringing up step-son Hunter. A better adjusted, mature, responsible man has never been seen.

187. H B Bear says:

Barry’s soaring rhetoric doesn’t sound the same when read by Grandpa Simpson.

188. DrBeauGan says:

What did the libertarians do?

Express a preference for freedom over tyranny?

189. Cassie of Sydney says:

“even libertarians”

And then they came for libertarians.

190. Cassie of Sydney says:

“Express a preference for freedom over tyranny?”

That’s hate speech. Must be shut down.

191. Geriatric Mayfly says:

And was he seen up there yesterday, standing proud with the Big Guy? may I ask. Or was he, at midday, having his scheduled relapse?

192. Gab says:

Dettol Danny

LOL

The stupid left took Trump’s comment seriously. Hilarious.

193. DrBeauGan says:

The stupid left took Trump’s comment seriously. Hilarious.

They just lied about it. It’s what they do.

194. Dr Faustus says:

According to John Brennan — Biden intel community “are moving in laser-like fashion to try to uncover as much as they can about” the pro-Trump “insurgency” that harbors “religious extremists, authoritarians, fascists, bigots, racists, nativists, even libertarians”

Controlling the definitions is going to be key.
    With appropriate meaning given to “insurgency” a lot of authoritarian restriction can be applied by the corporate state.

195. DrBeauGan says:

Controlling the definitions is going to be key.

Unfortunately, we don’t get to control the definitions. We’ve seen this for a long time. Equal love?

196. calli says:

Speaking of definitions and the like, anyone seen the “Old White Men” trope around lately?

No? I wonder why. 😂

197. Dr Faustus says:

Kamala.
    Just like cancelling the evil calories in a bacon cheeseburger and fries with a Diet Coke.

198. Rex Anger says:

Don’t knock it, it works! 🤪

Just ask M0nty…

199. Geriatric Mayfly says:

‘Stale, pale, male’ has literary connotations and also embraces other great artists; so I presume this jingle will be immune to any interference.

200. Mother Lode says:

The stupid left took Trump’s comment seriously. Hilarious.

And yet they like to think of themselves as the subtle ones, the intelligent ones, the ones who can discern nuance.

And yet they proceed from a much mangled and diminished vocabulary and then are embarrassingly literal.

201. Dr Faustus says:

Old Faustus’ Almanac predicts: Details of a former President’s family life in the White House will be revealed. A journalist will be briefed on toileting habits and the excesses, or absence, of bedroom sports. Prurience will be redefined.

202. Runnybum says:

I wonder how long before bombs start dropping on somewhere in the Middle East?

203. DrBeauGan says:

Lefties understand the affective power of language, the ability to manipulate feelz. And have no grasp of any other use. In particular, meaning or truth. It’s why they have no real concept of lying; it’s just a tool for getting what they want. Badly brought up children.

204. Geriatric Mayfly says:

Old Joe is ensconced, but nothing yet as I can see of any obsequious and honeyed words from Morrison. If you want another State dinner in the White House, to boost your election chances, you had better get a wriggle on ScoMo.

205. Boambee John says:

But but – Dettol Donny would never tell a lie.

The ostrich has told so many lies (including repeating ad nauseum the Big Lie of no electoral fraud), he doesn’t recognise that others might exaggerate for effect, depending upon the circumstance.

Still, given his confidence, perhaps he could produce a “victim” of pussy grabbing, one who did not consent?

206. Bruce of Newcastle says:

DrB – Goes back a long long time:

4 But the serpent said to the woman, “You will not surely die. 5 For God knows that when you eat of it your eyes will be opened, and you will be like God, knowing good and evil.”

If you think in your hindbrain you are a god then you’ll regard anything you believe or say as being the absolute truth. And you will tend to get angry when other people defy your magnificence. It explains the fury of the lefty climate nazis so well: they think anything they say is the truth and become incandescently furious when righties point out the data shows nothing much is happening. How dare they defy a god!

207. Dr Faustus says:

Almost by definition. When you are on a progressive ‘journey’, “meaning” changes with your objective, and “truth” is a flexible, local construct off of those changes.

208. Nick says:

What have the librarians done ?

209. Zulu Kilo Two Alpha says:

Australia’s $220 billion submarine disaster surfaces as PM’s nightmare sinks inRobert GottliebsenFollow @BGottliebsen

8:14AM January 21, 2021
    20 Comments

Prime Minister Scott Morrison and recently appointed Assistant Defence Minister Andrew Hastie appear to have discovered why the French submarine project went so horribly wrong.

The key to gaining that understanding starts with reading the original 2016 French tender document which, in writing, estimated the cost of the submarine project at between $20 and $25 billion in 2016 dollars.

Years later the defence minister and naval officials claimed that the tender price was $50 billion in 2016 dollars or twice the level stated in the tender.

Partly at my urging, Morrison and Hastie appear to have checked the original contract documents and confirmed the lower figure.

While some of the $25-plus billion gap between recent ministerial/naval statements and the 2016 tender can be explained, via the cost of the US combat system and infrastructure, a cavern remains.

Once Morrison and Hastie understood that the sums did not add up it opened up the whole, horrible five year mess.

To Scott Morrison’s great credit, he is now openly expressing concern about the project and looking at alternatives which means that he and Hastie have delved into the mire that the cost differential key opens up.

What they would have discovered is well known to my regular readers but it’s important to summarise the saga so the likely future Morrison/Hastie actions can be understood.

I add that it gives me no pleasure at being right because this is a national tragedy. For most of the last five years I have been almost a lone regular critic among media commentators. Now others are joining and I am grateful.

Morison and Hastie will have discovered:

– That in the discussions that led up to the French beating the Germans and Japanese in the tender, the French promised to set up a massive web of Australian suppliers. Once the French had won, its original team was removed and replaced by people with a totally different agenda. Australia is now being told that there are not sufficient Australian suppliers with the necessary skills. Hello?!

We always knew that and so did the original French tenderers. The original French plan detailed how the industry would be built up. It makes no sense whatsoever to have a fleet of submarines isolated in Australia without a strong industrial base .

– The French promised to make Australia a regional submarine research centre which was a very exciting concept. But those that replaced the original team now do most of the research in France and we are shown the results. If we want changes, it costs money. This is nothing like the collaboration originally promised.

– The plan to have the submarines commissioned in the 2030s and 2040s was predicated on the belief that there was no immediate threat in the region. It was a totally wrong assumption. We need submarines urgently.

– Many in the Australian Navy believed that because of our large distances Australia should have a nuclear submarine fleet. But that would involve establishing and nuclear industry which was politically not possible — at least in the political climate of ten years ago.

The French proposal was to design and build a large submarine using massive amounts of 100 year-old technology batteries. It had never been done before and was high risk. But technology has moved on and the Chinese are now developing and building molten salt-cooled submarines that are very effective. Conventional submarines must surface to recharge and modern detection equipment now makes our large submarines very vulnerable.

– A key part of the Australian submarine fleet was the American combat system. The Americans do not trust the French so we had two separate contracts. Australian submarines are being designed in France without direct collaboration with the American combat system experts. It’s a total nightmare and very dangerous given that we are looking at a weapon of war. .

– When the 2016 decisions were being made and later when the whole affair started to go wrong, Australian defence officials had the benefit of one of the most experienced and qualified naval boards of advice in the world. They urged Australia not to go down this path but we rejected the advice.

– Then there is the horrible cost story. The Australian government announced in 2016 that it would be paying $50 billion, inflation protected, for the submarines. To get that figure it took the original tender estimate of, say, $23 billion in 2016 dollars and then added infrastructure and the US combat system and adjusted for inflation. Two years later in 2018, that $50 billion original inflation-adjusted 2016 figure had blown out to $90 billion. My informants tell me the $90 billion inflation-adjusted construction figure is now way over $100 billion and could go a lot higher. Total cost of the project over the life of the submarines is now estimated at $220 billion but it will go much higher, perhaps to $400 billion or $500 billion.

Let me conclude with one of the most prophetic commentaries I have written. The date was December 10, 2019 and the headline read: “Submarines project a $220 billion disaster”:

“Very rarely in journalism do you come across a potential disaster that could jeopardise the nation for a generation.

“I have access to information that has made me realise that the proposed submarine project is not a normal mistake that can be managed — it is a national disaster.

“I invite the three most senior members of the cabinet — Scott Morrison, Josh Frydenberg and Mathias Cormann (I know and respect all three) to read what I have discovered and then use non-defence people to check me out.

“I do not believe my whistleblower is wrong because he or she is acting in the national interest”,

The nation should be very grateful that Morrison and Hastie have finally taken that advice, albeit late. Now they have to act.

210. Bruce of Newcastle says:

A State dinner at the WH with all of Gropey Joe’s fruits and nuts? Eww. And the probability would approach 1.00 that they’d seat him next to the tranny health secretary who killed all the nursing home residents.

211. Top Ender says:

Activists planning to protest Australia Day have been warned to not put the community at risk this year by breaking pandemic restrictions.

Premier Daniel Andrews has warned people planning events in January 26 that they must be safe and within the rules.

“Now this will be a different Australia Day because we’re in the midst of a global pandemic,” he said.

“This is not a commentary on what people might be protesting about but it’s no time to be protesting.”

The Invasion Day Melbourne protest organised by Warriors of the Aboriginal Resistance has up to 4500 people who have indicated they will attend, or are interested in attending.

Unlocked article from the Herald-Sun…looks like they are inviting a pile on to help Chairman Dan along.

212. Roger says:

Australia’s $220 billion submarine disaster surfaces as PM’s nightmare sinks in

Christopher Pyne should incur a lifetime ban from defence consultancy.

213. Mater says:

Planet Cornelius had plenty to say (3 months ago) about what people might be protesting about.

“Boofheads”

“tin foil hat brigade”

“They’re taking every opportunity to leverage the current situation to serve their ridiculous notions about so called sovereign citizens, about constitutional issues and about how 5G is going to kill your grandkids, I mean it’s just crazy, it’s batsh*t crazy nonsense.”

Will Victoria Police take a knee this time, too?

214. Top Ender says:

Britain got into nuclear submarines in less than 10 years in the 1960s. The subs were built in the UK, and the engines were supplied by the USA.

The Brits followed that up with US Polaris missiles launched again from their own build subs.

Can no-one save us from our political class of cowards?

215. DrBeauGan says:

Australia’s $220 billion submarine disaster surfaces as PM’s nightmare sinks in

Christopher Pyne should incur a lifetime ban from defence consultancy.

A demonstration that when it comes to corruption we’re not that far behind the US.

216. Roger says:

Can no-one save us from our political class of cowards?

ScoMo’s on the job!

(Mind you, I think Hastie will keep him honest on this one.)

217. Bruce of Newcastle says:

The subs were built in the UK, and the engines were supplied by the USA.

And there’s a problem that we now have.
    We will get no help from the USA.
    No Virginias, no engines, no uranium, nothing.
    We’d be lucky to get Soryus as the crook in the WH would probably oppose such a sale because “Chinese sensibilities”.

218. Feelthebern:

Hard coking coal hits $US131/t overnight.
    Wow.
    Just wow.

You watch – within a week, Morrison will be asked ever so nicely by the Chinese, to push the price of this coal down by about 20%.
    And the gutless prick, in the spirit of fairness and international cooperation will ask the coal producers to do so.
    They will probably tell him to fuck off, so he’ll do a deal where he drops taxes if they drop their price by the same amount. The Australian taxpayer subsiding the Chinese steel industry…

219. Ƶĩppʯ (ȊꞪꞨV) says:

in the rules are for proles files

220. DrBeauGan says:

And there’s a problem that we now have.
    We will get no help from the USA.
    No Virginias, no engines, no uranium, nothing.

The CCP and now the US are pencilling Oz as a client state of China. We are so utterly phukt.

221. Ƶĩppʯ (ȊꞪꞨV) says:

cloaking their evil in fake compassion

222. thefrollickingmole says:

Christopher Pyne should incur being sent to Roebourne/Willuna to drive the shit cart on a work for the dole program.
    After being forcibly divested of all money/assets and his children and family sold to the Wuhan virology institute for live testing.

223. feelthebern says:

Has Hannity started his “Biden tick tock” garbage again?