Flattening the curve is now one year old

For context see Nation Prepares To Celebrate 1st Anniversary Of Two Weeks To Flatten The Curve.  For further context, see the idiot state of Victoria with its latest insane lockdown under the pretext of saving us from worse. Below is the first article of my own I can find on the Chinese flu, dated February 28, 2020: Coronavirus, the economy and the American election, the story thus far …. This is the text:

Whoever does the plot lines for our world is astonishingly creative but does tend to be highly melodramatic. So this is where we are. Our economies are coming good, the virtuous if eccentric Donald Trump is getting on top of things with some of the best economic outcomes in generations. Meanwhile, the Democrats go into self-destructive mode, creating a set of rules accompanied by a large crew of incompetents who allow not just anyone, but an out-and-out communist to take first place in the race for the nomination. In almost every conceivable circumstance, the communist must lose, unless there is a major recession. But then, just in time, along comes the coronavirus, knocking supply chains out of kilter across the world, with this coronavirus business looking like it might really create an international recession just in time for the election.

There is no doubt now looking back that the agenda that has unfolded since then was what was planned from the start once the virus began to spread outwards from China. There is then this from March 18, 2020: Is the Corona Virus pandemic just another scam? This is the text:

On economics, I don’t trust anyone else’s judgement but my own. The Global Financial Crisis was mismanaged to such an extent that only with the arrival of Donald Trump, who knows something about how an economy works, even if only instinctively, that the US and the rest of us subsequently have moved forward.

On politics, again I don’t trust anyone else’s judgement. Our political class are such stupidoes and so bizarrely left leaning, that the kinds of things they do in almost every circumstance is plain out wrong. The public trust looks like a scam almost in everything that is touched. And with the public service entirely university-educated, I never expect political decisions to be sensible, which they seldom are.

On climate change (formerly known as global warming) I kept a watchful eye on it all until I finally decided, now quite a while ago, that it, too, is a scam. There is absolutely nothing in any of it that should be a worry.

As for Y2K, I was a sceptic way back, well before New Year’s Eve 2000. And since, I have never seen so much madness before the day, and never an apologetic word since. Utterly nothing whatsoever in it despite the five-alarm fire.

And now we are dealing with perhaps the biggest scam of them all. I know nothing about viruses and pandemics, but was a long-time student of the Black Death and Bubonic Plague. Maybe it’s early days, but so far there is nothing going on that reminds me of the days of “Bring Out Your Dead”. I keep hearing that such pandemics grow at exponential rates, and while there is hardly anything now, just wait. Except during the Black Death, from the moment it began, there was no doubting the extent of the catastrophe.

We shall therefore see. But! All below from Instapundit. May the skepticism flourish until we are certain one way or the other. Caution is important. Blind panic is madness.

THE NUMBERS JUST DON’T ADD UP TO THE CRAZY STUFF WE’RE DOING TO “BEND A CURVE” THAT WAS NEVER THAT DANGEROUS. LOOK, EVERY DEATH IS REGRETTABLE, BUT IF THE CHINESE FLU JUSTIFIES THIS, THE YEARLY FLU SHOULD HAVE US IN QUARANTINE YEAR AROUND PRETTY MUCH:  Diamond Princess Mysteries.

AND HOW:  In crisis there is opportunity, and the left wants to seize it.

THE PANIC IS WHAT WILL KILL US:  Apocalypse No.

I KNOW THIS IS GOING TO SOUND CRAZY, BUT PERHAPS THE RESULTS TO THE ECONOMY, TO THE ABILITY OF PEOPLE TO MOVE AROUND AND ORGANIZE IS WHAT WAS INTENDED ALL ALONG?  Mayor of NYC Bill DiBlasio: Get Ready for a “Shelter in Place” Order For NYC Within the Next 48 Hours. I mean, as with global warming and other things, you have to ask yourself “What are these measures actually accomplishing?” And why are leftist governors scaling up/ramping up the shut downs and restrictions in the absence of anything justifying it?

THIS TO ME, TO ALLUDE TO SHERLOCK HOLMES, IS THE DOG THAT DIDN’T BARK IN THE NIGHT. I’M SORRY, IF YOU THINK THAT — IF NOTHING ELSE WITH DRUG DEALS AND HANDOUTS AND SUCH — THE PROFESSIONAL CLASS HAS NO CONTACT WITH THE HOMELESS, YOU’RE OUT OF YOUR MIND. ALSO THE HOMELESS ARE IN AND OUT OF HOSPITALS A LOT. THEY’RE “FREQUENT FLIERS”.  SO, HOW COME THEY’RE NOT DROPPING LIKE FLIES?  Another Vulnerable Population.

BUT… BUT… BUT… I THOUGHT THE REASON THIS WASN’T SPREADING IN AFRICA (MOST OF WHICH, BTW, IS NOT IN SUMMER TEMPERATURES (IN FACT ALL OF WHICH IS IN A MID-SEASON RIGHT NOW)) AND MOST BRAZILIANS AREN’T DEAD AFTER CARNIVAL WAS THAT IT DOESN’T SPREAD EVEN IN RELATIVELY WARM WEATHER. SO HOW COME CALIFORNIA NEEDS THIS?  Bay Area Issues ‘Shelter in Place’ to Stop Coronavirus From Spreading. I don’t know about you guys, but I smell several large, authoritarian rats.

ITALY IS NOT THE US. REPEAT: ITALY IS NOT THE US:  Distinguishing factors. But note even in Italy, a country that hugs, smokes, and uses public transportation, the average age of the victims of the Chinese Flu is 80 or so. My question is: What are we doing to protect those populations?  Well, not much. Sure, we closed care centers to visitors, but we still allow the nurses to go in and out, and a lot of those people have small kids who are in daycare.  As for the elders being cared for by family? Well, a lot of them still have essential doctors’ appointments as do their families. What is the quarantine doing?  It is destroying the economy. It is doing that with amazing efficiency. At which point do we ask ourselves what the INTENDED effect is?

HOW MANY OF THEM ARE IN CHINESE PAY?  Liberal Media Melts Down After Trump Tweets ‘Chinese Virus’.

YOU ARE BEING STAMPEDED:  COVID-19: the unwarranted panic.

That’s still how I think about it, and we still have no idea where it will all end.

This entry was posted in COVID-19, Politics of the Left. Bookmark the permalink.

34 Responses to Flattening the curve is now one year old

1. rickw says:

The Idiocracy had one plan, which isn’t a solution and doesn’t work.

2. Damon says:

What is the long-term plan? Lock down entire cities every time someone sneezes?

3. Rex Anger says:

What is the long-term plan? Lock down entire cities every time someone sneezes?

[Frantic Stage Whisper]

Shut up, they’ll hear you!

[/Frantic Stage Whisper]

It’s a secret, after all…

4. Chopper says:

To stand up and declare my opposition to these events in Victoria, in good consciousness, I will need to resign from my position with company I work for. I don’t have the money to survive without a job, but I am so angry with this course of action that I am willing to do this. When, I wake up tomorrow after sleeping off all the alcohol I drank today and tonight knowing that I will have no social interaction with anyone for 5 days as I don’t fit any of the criteria that allows us outside, I probably will become a placid serf who just follows what the ‘health experts’ tell me to do. But I’m not asleep yet and i am very angry.

5. stackja says:

Xi created this “crisis”. USA MSM aided and abetted to help Joe Biden and hinder Donald Trump. The Wuhan virus has replaced all disease deaths. A “miracle” cure for humanity.

6. Maniac says:

I’ve suffered from anxiety for the better part of my life and I was never too concerned about the Kung Flu. I was more concerned about our reaction to it.

This was a test by the Powers-That-Be to see how far we could be pushed. Now they know.

7. Figures says:

Good post but the Black Death and every other pandemic was a tissue of lies as well.

At least in those “pandemics” lots of people actually died but they *never* died of the thing doctors blamed.

They died from the doctors themselves.

On an unrelated note, good luck with these COVID vaccines!

8. Tom says:

For me, the most interesting part of the government response to Kung Flu is that the first instinct was to remove our liberty without a moment’s doubt or reflection on the consequences of such government action.

The net effect has been to weaken our liberty and remove popular resistance to fascist decrees by unelected “experts”, behind whom our elected politicians have hidden — bearing in mind we fought the last world war because of our abhorrence of fascism.

No we find that our biggest trading partner is not only run by a fascist communist regime, but that it deliberately proliferated around the world a highly contagious influenza virus that it may or may not have designed in a chemical weapons laboratory.

Oh, and the Chinese government is persecuting a minority just as the Third Reich did 80 years ago. Such fascism was the reason we fought with the Allies to defeat Germany’s attempt to install itself as the world’s master race and against inhumane Japanese imperialism that tried to take over Asia.

Now our governments are behaving like our cultural enemies. To reinforce the betrayal, Chinese joint venture partner Daniel Andrews has cancelled Victorian Anzac Day services in 2021.

PS: Steve, I did not know you ran a website called lawofmarkets.com. Do you ever post stuff there that you don’t post here?

9. duncanm says:

Maniac.. indeed, testing the waters? The limits have not been reached.

Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them.

Frederick Douglass

Anyone believe we’ll go back to the liberty we enjoyed before, without a fight?

10. yarpos says:

I love it when non IT people pontificate about Y2k and especially complaining that nothing happened. They didnt understand the problem, and cant or refuse to even try to understand the solution and the work required. Its like standing outside of an old restored building , thinking its held up by magic, and complaining that it hasnt fallen over.

11. Boxcar says:

There are two simple outcomes from this
    1. Tennis will help him further his UN ambitions with a demonstration of his leadership skills on every TV on the planet
    2. He can clear the roads to help get his tunnel fiasco up to date in time to avoid more billions of costs for delays.
    He knows what he is doing. He studied fascism and he is drunk on power.

12. Paul says:

Its a scam if it wasn’t so deadly. Gumnt is using fear to control us. Trust their experts not your own. The left believe in locking up people, its for their own good. Its those right wingers who complain about losing freedoms.
    The left are happy to be locked up, and don’t see why the right shouldn’t be locked up as well.
    The left believe gumnt is there to protect them, the right know gumnt is only protecting its politicians and bureaucrats
    The left are so stupid

13. duncanm says:

yarpos,

I see where you’re going, but in this case, we have a baseline country which didn’t bother with Y2K (Covid) panic.

Sweden.
    I see about 5000 extra deaths in 2020 compared to previous years in a population of 10 million, and an annual mortality close to 100k.

14. Roger says:

What is the long-term plan? Lock down entire cities every time someone sneezes?

The UK’s leading covid geneticist has forecast up to 10 years of rolling lockdowns even with vaccines.

Let’s hope it’s another case of an expert who advises goivernment being wrong.

Meantime, the nexus between the scientific establishment and the political class needs to be crtiically examined.

15. Up The Workers! says:

Y2K.

Was that really 21 years ago?

I well recall the daily deluge of sometimes truthful; sometimes dodgy Y2K compliance-notices published in the papers by all manner of manufacturers keen to ensure that everybody was aware that they were taking things seriously and their product would literally ‘save the planet’ come the stroke of midnight on the fateful day.

One of the most memorable such notices was from the manufacturers of the famous “KY Gel” sexual lubricant.

Their advertisement assured readers that after much research, trial and error, their product had now attained full Y2K Compliance, and as a result would in future be known as: “Y2KY Gel”.

It continued: “As our regular customers will happily appreciate, the new product will henceforth allow them to insert 4 digits into their date, instead of the previous 2.”

16. H B Bear says:

What is the long-term plan? Lock down entire cities every time someone sneezes?

Was this taken from a WA Cabinet paper?

17. Colonel Crispin Berka says:

Melbournites are asking a curly question.
    [email protected]· 17h

PLEASE explain to me Dan how these multimillionaire tennis players are “essential workers” and will keep on playing while the rest of us are imprisoned once again!?!?

Tennis is essential but Church isn’t?

Dear God-botherers, when you can get your church service sponsored by a major Chinese whisky brewing company, then you can continue trading congregating.

18. Up The Workers! says:

Chinese Whisky???

Strictly for Soy-Boys only!

19. Up The Workers! says:

I thought that whisky got distilled but if Dodgy Dan the Chi-Com Man’s Bat-Souper pals are now ‘brewing’ what they choose to call their ‘whisky’, then that is yet another good reason not to touch it with a 40 metre long chop-stick.

20. Rohan says:

Two rumours I’ve heard:

1. LockDan 3.0 is going to last a minimum of 3 weeks

2. Thursday is when LockDan will railroad the extension of the state of emergency through parliament.

The anger I’m seeing over this in Melbourne is visceral. This could, well should be the beginning of the end for LockDan.

21. Colonel Crispin Berka says:

UTW,
    yeah, well I’m only going off popular media descriptions of it, which call it similar to saké or vodka “but with the complexities of whiskey”. That might just mean it is badly-distilled grain vodka with huge amounts of impurities that are rebranded as “complex character”. Not that I’ll ever know because I also plan on never touching the stuff with a 48.768m¹ long chop-stick.

___
    1- Four 40ft poles.

22. Up The Workers! says:

Given the well-reported prevalence of gunshot, car-accident, poisoning, workplace accident, electrocutions, drownings, heart attacks, cancers, diabetes, old age, and sundry other death-types to be fraudulently described as “Covid-19” deaths, are the deliberate killings of innocent unborns in accordance with A.L.P./Socialist policy in A.L.P.-approved abortion-abattoirs, now also being described as “Covid-19” deaths?

Have all pregnancy terminations also been cancelled due to Deadly Dan’s latest O.H.&.S. totalitarian hissy-fit?

After all, you wouldn’t want the unborn baby catching a deadly killer pandemic Socialist-engineered disease it stands a 99.7% chance of surviving!

Labor(sic) – They have no place for “U”!

23. incoherent rambler says:

wanking yarpos.
    The scam was an infinity of government IT systems that required NO modifications yet paid gazillions for certification.

24. Mark M says:

It’s the new normal.

There is no going back.

There is no end.

25. Lee says:

I hope you’re 100% correct, Rohan.
    The sooner this insufferably arrogant, narcissistic buffoon of a dictator is turfed out of office, the better.

26. John A says:

As for Y2K, I was a sceptic way back, well before New Year’s Eve 2000.

Steve and all who try to quote Y2K as if it were a scam, please CEASE AND DESIST with the moral equivalence.

Y2K was a technical computer problem caused by short-term decisions made in an earlier era under some difficult constraints. It was solved and/or worked around so that there was no impact on the way the world moved into a new century.

If you want to identify a scam then talk about the surrounding irrational hysteria but don’t talk about the actual computer problem, which was first identified in 1993 by Boeing’s forward planners. There was no hysteria for six years. There was triage, and lots of software was re-written or replaced.

27. Tel says:

Anyone believe we’ll go back to the liberty we enjoyed before, without a fight?

What I have learned from COVID is that most people in Australia don’t want liberty all that much.

There are still large numbers of Australians who genuinely are relieved that the Kevin Rudd is from the government and here to help … even after all this time they still believe it.

28. Leo G says:

… and we still have no idea where it will all end.

Perhaps if we had more certainty about its origins.

A number of virologists have argued that the virus could not have developed naturally from known bat coronaviruses, and have suggested that it is a research strain altered by “gain of function” experiments and probably derived from strains used by the US-funded “Risk of Bat Coronavirus Emergence Project” directed by zoologist Peter Daszak.

Daszak is a member of the present WHO team investigating possible Wuhan lab links. He was also the scientist whose company subcontracted the gain-of-function component of the Emergence project to the Wuhan lab.

My view is that if COVID-19 is a product of gain-of-function research and was enhanced by genetic engineering, then that research was not investigating what kind of virus could develop naturally, but was more like biological warfare research.

I am consequently not surprised that the WHO team, led by food safety scientist Peter van Embarek, have discounted the lab-leak theory and say that it “required no further study”.

29. duncanm says:

Tel
    #3755397, posted on February 13, 2021 at 3:11 pm

Hence my Frederick Douglass quote.

30. Squirrel says:

It may be one year on, but they haven’t quite finished flattening small business – it will be so much neater when all those pesky, independent, entrepreneurial types become cogs in the crony capitalist corporatist machine and join a union.

31. a reader says:

Y2K is a bad example to use because I know for a fact that parts of the NSW Health Department were offline in January 2000 until they could get the computer to think it was some time in the 1970s

32. Zulu Kilo Two Alpha says:

Strictly for Soy-Boys only!

Should be like Irish whiskey – sold in a bottle embossed with a skull and cross bones and classified as “Not fit for human consumption.”