FROM AN EMAIL RECEIVED TODAY (I’ve removed all identifiers)

Thank you for sharing such wonderful and intelligent points in your “The great Hysteria..” book. I sincerely appreciate the time and effort taken for these actions.

I have bought 15 more copies to share with friends and colleagues.

I am a Melbourne dentist. I am writing to you to express some of my experiences during this unprecedented social experiment of locking down the entire community in response to a viral infection.

I have been a dentist for almost 30 years. My patients are intelligent, thoughtful, and socio-economically successful. My practice is a boutique dental practice that strives so very hard to provide leading-edge, caring, beautiful dentistry.

Over the past 12 months I have been shocked at the degradation of my patient’s mouths.

Rather tongue in cheek, I have been considering rephrasing “JobKeeper” to “ToothKeeper”. So many of my patients have been grinding their teeth to make them loose and have bleeding gums. Their palates and tongues are red and inflamed. These signs are not in response to a viral attack (none of my patients thus far have positive Covid tests) but the body’s response to stress. It is sad to see. With patient’s immune systems so compromised by worry, uncertainty and fear their ability to withstand any infection, whether that be bacterial, fungal or viral is severely compromised. This concerns me as a healthy, well supported and strong immune system is our own personal best defence against this Covid virus.

On a personal level, this series of lockdowns has been humbling beyond words. From March to October, I only worked one full week. Most weeks I have pieced together 1 or 1 ½ days. No patients were seen in August.

On the 28th of March, all dental practices were mandated to only treat patients with emergencies.

It has taken almost 30 years for me to hone my skills, build a reputation and create my dental practice. It was indeed very sobering to experience that a simple email could direct me to basically tear up my appointment book. That was a Monday I will never forget. I been told what drills to use and when.

This lockdown state of emergency completely opposes everything that I have learnt as an Australian: If you work hard, be diligent, be honest and continually strive to do your best you will get somewhere in life. Now despite all my efforts I’m forced to sit at home and wait. And lodge forms for government handouts. It is not good for my kids to watch.

And the longer this goes on for, the colder my own personal fire burns.

Last night I watched the Channel 7 news. The content, tone and imagery were akin to what I saw following the September 11 terrorist attacks in New York. It felt like Channel 7 was reporting on a war. So, no wonder the general public are still hysterical, genuinely scared and support these lockdown measures and the State of Disaster. Without considering the massive collateral damage or alternatives.

Perhaps this explains why intelligent and considerate articles and open letters have been so ineffective with our Premier and the population. Not only does Dan Andrews not have the time for open discussion but public perception regarding the horrific risk and effects of this virus supports the lockdowns and goals of elimination.

John Stuart Mill (1806- 1873) so correctly wrote “Protection, therefore, against the tyranny of the magistrate is not enough,” he wrote. “There needs protection also against the tyranny of the prevailing opinion and feeling”. His main concern was “consequences of social conformity. When deviation from a prescribed set of opinions is punished through peer pressure and the fear of ostracism.”

This entry was posted in COVID-19. Bookmark the permalink.

32 Responses to Comment from a Melbourne dentist about the disaster caused by the Great Hysteria

1. Bar Beach Swimmer says:

👍

I can’t add to that letter; it encapsulates all that is wrong with our country and our politicians. It shows the human cost (financial, social, community) that is being imposed by the unthinking and wholly unaffected. This Australian is, like his patients, being brought undone and the problem is that those who have caused it will never acknowledge their culpability. Add to that the obsequiousness and fear mongers in the media and where to from here?

2. Tim Neilson says:

Did anyone see the story on SBS a week or so ago where optometrists said that the lockdowns have caused irreversible vision impairment to large numbers of young kids because their eyes haven’t been allowed to develop over the last year with normal long and medium range vision use?
    Now this dentist has blown the whistle as well.
    But I’m sure it’s all really caused by climate change.

3. Adelagado says:

And the Public Effing Service just goes merrily along, collecting their exorbitant wages, and living the good life, without a care in the world.

4. Rorschach says:

His [JSM] main concern was “consequences of social conformity. When deviation from a prescribed set of opinions is punished through peer pressure and the fear of ostracism.”

Cancel Culture foreseen!

5. Lee says:

What a f..king disgrace and POS Dictator Dan is.

6. Spurgeon Monkfish III says:

Yet more evidence of what those of us with functioning brains have known all along.

The mad fascist responses by arrogant unaccountable wrong about everything imbeciles (i.e. politicians and bureaucrats, cheered incessantly on by an equally appallingly ignorant lamestream media) to a largely illusory virus would be far more damaging to our society and economy than the virus itself.

Those mongrels responsible must not be allowed to get away it.

7. Spurgeon Monkfish III says:

get away with it …

8. Anonandon says:

I’ve noticed a general drop in the number of fvcks being given by the people I encounter at work. I deal with some public servants as well and their general job performance has trailed off dramatically. I didn’t work for four months last year and when the work began to return my motivation just wasn’t the same. Just an increasing sense of pointlessness and anger building up.

9. Luzu says:

Anonandon,

I have noticed the same in the large security organisation within which I work. The docility with which so many have accepted the constraints upon their lives as for their own good has baffled me. That and the complete lack of curiosity in seeking out information upon which to make their own decisions. If it weren’t for this site, I would feel very alone in my thoughts on this whole manufactured crisis.

10. Bar Beach Swimmer says:

Luzu & Anonandon,
    Best wishes to you both.
    Kind regards,
    BBS

11. Captain Katzenjammer says:

This is how Chechs and Hungarians learned to live under communism.

12. rickw says:

Scumo and Dan doing their own rendition of Misery.

13. Rohan says:

Adelagado
    #3764682, posted on February 23, 2021 at 12:07 pm

I’ve got a mate who is a professor at a major Melbourne institution and he’s been winging about the state of the education and that the government has dropped the ball. Yet he was applauding the LockDan’s. Now he’s reaping the whirlwing.

I think the cost of this on people is starting to sink in.

14. Rohan says:

…he’s been winging about the state of the education and that the government has dropped the ball.

I mean “…he’s been winging about the state of the education system and that the government has dropped the ball.”

15. Luzu says:

Thank you, BBS.

I am fairly feisty by nature so this whole thing is not going to make me lie down and die. But not feeling like an intellectual freak, weirdo or oddball is comforting. I don’t know any one of the people on here in my life but I realise I am part of a community I treasure. And you’re all so smart in so many areas. I was fascinated by the discussion on the longbows just the other week.

16. Rabbi Putin says:

Dan Andrews will have a sculpture raised in his honour one day. It will be a scaffold.

17. Shane says:

Its going to take at least a year for all of the new auto immune conditions to start surfacing, all with an unknown aetiology of course. It was Scomo after all who was the first cab out of the ranks so we sit back and watch.

18. Paul says:

Interesting letter.
    The good Doc is aptly describing mob rule, where the govt has whipped up fear, so much so that rational thoughts no lounger exist. The prols only hope is the govt, because the govt tells them its so.
    It was all planned

19. Damon says:

If the virus had been named the Wuhan flu, the ‘crisis’ would have been over months ago.

20. John A says:

Rabbi Putin #3764810, posted on February 23, 2021, at 1:57 pm

Now, wouldn’t THAT be a suitable modern facsimile of Purim? Our own Haman!

Well said, Rabbi!

21. nilk says:

At my place of employ I deal with tradies and they are so refreshing. They’re quite switched on in general and can be vocal about the parlous state of affairs here in Viktoriastan.

Regular customers are a mixed bag and everyone’s so confused about the day-to-day masking regs. If the current restrictions are light then you’ll see any number of people rip their masks off and take a deep breath when we tell them it’s okay to do so.

The average Aussie in the outer suburbs is not happy. There are still plenty of Dan Fans; my oldest friendship has fallen victim to Dear Leader because she’s so brainwashed. Well that and Trump Derangement.

40+ years through thick and thin, and all it took was a confected pandemic of a disease so deadly that (as I saw written elsewhere) you have to be tested to find out if you’ve even got it

We’re not talking ebola or bubonic plague ffs. But her parents are frail and elderly so at the end of the day we should all mask up and stop hugging our loved ones because they might catch it.

I frikken despise Dandrews with a passion.

22. Rohan says:

nilk
    #3764869, posted on February 23, 2021 at 4:19 pm

It’s not because tradies are rocket scientists (and by that I’m not saying they’re dumb either), but it is because they’re good at how to practically solve problems. Tradies are usually excellent at identifying cause and effect in the real world.

It doesnt take much to identify the fact that SloMo, LockDan et al are utterly incompetent and destructive.

23. Lee says:

Two things.
    Ask her how many people in Australia have died of Covid in the last few months (none), or indeed contracted it.
    Not to sound callous, but how many people have to suffer depression and many other illnesses through lack of medical attention, and lose their businesses, jobs, and perhaps everything, because of the very remote chance an elderly person might catch, then die of the virus?

I would perhaps be considered in the risk group, although not elderly, but I still believe the reaction to the virus in this country has been hysterical and politicised.

24. Megan says:

As I pointed out beck at the beginning of this absolute politician/ bureaucrat created disaster, if I had gone to the University ethics committee with a plan to lock 50 study volunteers in their homes for six months in the name of scientific research to observe what it would do to them, I’d have been tossed out so fast along with my proposal and probably been offered counselling for my obvious lunatic suggestion.

Yet, here we are. And not a single consequence for their stupidity and cruelty to be found.

25. Edwina says:

I can’t see any comments on either this article or the Craig Kelly one!!
    What is going on?
    I am very, very suspicious!
    Are we conservatives being silenced?
    I don’t like Australia at the moment, it is NOT the country I know and love.

26. covid ate my homework says:

Send this man to Scamberra immediately!!!!!!!!!!!

27. Ozman says:

Cannot access comments on any of the Posts. Has the Dread Council of Nox given Doomlord instructions.

28. Thaddeus says:

Early on in The Fuckwittery I was making a coffee at the seven-eleven, and a tradie came up to make his at the the second machine close to my right. I quipped, “not really 2 metres” and he said “nah, more like 1200”. Made my day!

29. Dave says:

I live in California and think the hysteria is way over the top. Everyone in my family got the virus. None of us had a fever, nor respiratory distress but we did lose our taste and smell for a week or so. My daughter thought she had a cold. I’ve had worse cases of the seasonal flu (FYI I’m 55). None of us had to go to the hospital. My 94 year old mother in law survived it. All she needed was an antibody infusion to help her get over it quicker. There are wide spread non hospital forms of treatment that never get publicized. Maybe we were lucky because we have none of the underlying medical conditions that make it life threatening, or have the blood type that improves your chances of survival. I didn’t tell my family in Australia that I had it because I knew they’d be panicking thinking my life was in danger – it never was. For a small minority it’s a real threat and can be fatal. For most people it’s a 4 day inconvenience. To shut down the world for this is unforgivable.

30. Up The Workers! says:

Deadly Dan makes Victoria Bitter!

31. MatrixTransform says:

there’s a decent cohort among tradies that have degree qualifications.
    Sometimes in a allied school to the work that they do.
    Sometimes not

I know one bloke has two trades and two degrees.
    Another bloke is a painter with a Masters in English Lit

It’s the humour that I enjoy … the workplace badinage.
    Listening to the hvac plumbers wittily tear each other to bits on any given day is one of my chief joys.

At the same time it is very rewarding to be part of say, a major shutdown with planned outcomes that is run with military precision. That’s when the bullshit stops and talent and resilience rise to the fore.

All that ribbing and sarcasm is part of the learning.
    It can be humbling to be wrong for 4 to 8 years but it is also empowering.

Tradeys have well-tuned bullshit detectors

32. Yarpos says:

We live in regional VIC and have been less affected than our friends in Melbourne at least at a personal level. Local businesses still suffer of course from Dans stupidity and hiding behind “advice”

As we started to try and socialise again with the city folks it was surprising how much Dans terror campaign had gotten to them. Usually intelligent and successful people where worrying about crowds and seemed obsessed with masks and what they were “allowed” to do that day.

He certainly has done a number on them. There was one bright light at least at the tennis where the gushing wannabe politician from Tennis Australia was roundly boo’d when she tried to gush over the State Govt for their support.