Break out the winter woolies!

Dang climate change!

SLOVENIA SUFFERS COLDEST APRIL TEMP IN HISTORY, BELGRADE BREAKS ALL-TIME SNOW RECORD, EUROPEAN WINEMAKERS BUST-OUT THE “FROST FIRES,” AND AN ANTARCTIC BLAST THREATENS EARLY-SEASON SNOW IN SE AUSTRALIA

The likes of Sydney, Melbourne and Hobart can expected a “polar blast” of icy air this weekend, sending temperatures plummeting and bringing substantial snow to some regions.

Jonathan How, a meteorologist at the Bureau of Meteorology, said a cold front expected for Friday would be followed by a second front on Saturday, created by a “polar blast” moving north from the Antarctic.

“This is looking to be the last hurrah of the warm season and the summer,” said How.

“The first cold front is a garden-variety cold front. The next one is the leading edge of this air mass moving north from the Southern Ocean. It’s a low pressure system that has been circulating the Antarctic.

“Sometimes we see these systems jump up towards Australia and that’s when we see these winter blasts.

On Sunday the conditions will move through to Sydney, making for a chilly weekend.

This entry was posted in Global warming and climate change policy, Rafe. Bookmark the permalink.

36 Responses to Break out the winter woolies!

1. Louis Litt says:

Poo – SOuth Tasralia misses out

2. JohnJJJ says:

Yeah, but the fallback position is that the extremes will get worse.
    Mathematically certain in any variation.
    So the Climate change freaks will win. Same goes with any of the Left philosophy. Ultimately this is a global database thing.
    Everywhere is more extreme compared to where you are.

3. Lazlo says:

Lag indicators of the current La Niña, an entirely non-anthropogenic event.
    But water temperatures in the Pacific indicate La Niña is coming to an end.

4. JohnJJJ:

So the Climate change freaks will win.

No they won’t.
    We will just point and laugh – “Where’s the global Warming?”

5. caveman says:

So does that mean Summer will be cold? Is this a Flannery thing.

6. mh says:

And Bill Gates wants to block the sun.

7. Russell says:

BOM got the Severe Weather and Rain Event for South East QLD so wrong for Easter. They were originally predicting huge deluges that just never eventuated. Yes the rain was on their own models well in advance but it was always way out to sea and never really looked like hitting the coast. At best they are 50% right and mostly for very short term forecasts (6-12 hours). I know BOM are pushing a narrative that keeps them saying this rubbish. The Science said we would have some rain but they had to turn it into a disaster – stay at home, stay at home. No one seems to care or call them out.

8. Mark M says:

Michael Mann, author of the failed UN IPCC hokey schtick, missed freezing global warming in his latest carbon (sic) induced doomsday future that is here now, or could be …

… but, don’t fret, Mike will be along shortly to amend that garbage to include freezing global warming because more moisture in the atmosphere, and because more droughts and floods from moisture in his underpants, or less moisture, or something …

9. Bruce of Newcastle says:

I thought catastrophic fires and devastating floods were the harsh old reality too. Someone wrote a poem about that once.

I love a sunburnt country,
    A land of sweeping plains,
    Of ragged mountain ranges,
    Of droughts and flooding rains.
    I love her far horizons,
    I love her jewel-sea,
    Her beauty and her terror
    The wide brown land for me!

Written in 1908. I think her memory of the 1896-1902 Federation Drought, which was at the peak of the ~60 year cycle two cycles ago, will have coloured her thoughts during the writing of it.

10. Bruce of Newcastle says:

I love a sunburnt country,
    A land of sweeping plains,
    Of ragged mountain ranges,
    Of droughts and flooding rains.
    I love her far horizons,
    I love her je wel-sea,
    Her beauty and her terror
    The wide brown land for me!

11. Nighthawk the Elder says:

I swear, it was getting warmer only a few months ago and now this? What on earth is going on that it goes from warm to cold in the space of a few months? Has anyone ever studied this phenomenon before?

I pay my taxes and I expect the government to have the answers.

12. Geoff Cruickshank says:

Australia at present 0.79 deg below the 1991-2020 average.

13. Herodotus says:

Climate change can do anything, but its main use is as a control mechanism.
    We are seeing our society brought down by the termites wrecking our power system.
    The greatest political failure since one assassination started WW1.

14. Eyrie says:

Learn a little basic meteorology starting with the global circulation, how the wind blows around highs and lows and do your own forecasts from http://www.windy.com
    Shows everything you need and uses the same data and math models as the BoM.

15. H B Bear says:

It’s working! If only I paid more for my gas and electricity.

16. H B Bear says:

I’m worried about the “triple threat” from tropical cyclones in Perth though.

17. calli says:

Has anyone ever studied this phenomenon before?

Remarkable isn’t it? All my life I’ve noticed it gets cold for a few months of the year and then slowly gets warmer. Then the thingy repeats. It’s uncanny.

There must be something wrong.

18. Entropy says:

Russell says:
    April 8, 2021 at 11:16 pm

TBF, if the low had stayed marginally weaker it would have tracked further west onto the coast and we would have got a lot of rain. It was slightly stronger than predicted and thus tracked more SE slightly away from the coast. The difference is quite marginal, widening to a 100 km track difference to that forecast over three days, but made all the difference in outcome. Not a lot of difference in a global sense, but I f the low had been any stronger we would have got nothing.
    Coastal grazing lows are always hard to get exactly right, a few isobars difference in air pressure can make all the difference between a coastal crossing or not.

19. Up The Workers! says:

The B.o.M. (Bureau of Mendacity) is Never wrong!

The C.S.I.R.O. (Crap Science Inspired by Religious Oratory) said so!

20. duncanm says:

Geoff Cruickshank says:
    April 9, 2021 at 6:35 am
    Australia at present 0.79 deg below the 1991-2020 average.

BOM – just a sec. we need to ‘adjust’.

Anyway. “Polar blast” = “extreme weather” = climate change.

Simples.

21. Russell says:

The problem with being fair to BOM about forecasts is the asymetrical risk. They have no downside for calling disaster to the general public. Yet they quote percentages like they know what they are talking about. Businesses would have lost customers at Easter when they needed a boost. But the weather anxiety narrative imeans everything to BOM. We should always call out bad performance … that’s only fair.

22. Tom Appleton says:

H B Bear says:
    April 9, 2021 at 6:52 am
    It’s working! If only I paid more for my gas and electricity.

Yesterday, while I was on hold, my gas/electricity supplier told me that I could “make a real difference” to the climate if only I would pay a few dollars a week for carbon offsets!

On Sunday the conditions will move through to Sydney, making for a chilly weekend.

The BOM’s temp forecasts for Sydney contradict this.
    Sunday 22
    Monday 21
    Tuesday 25
    Wednesday 29
    Thursday 27

23. MACK says:

When will the climate change cult admit that volatility is normal?

24. Entropy says:

Tim, I think the boffins was talking about Melbourne, then Sydney.

25. Bruce of Newcastle says:

Sure to work.

JunkScience petitions SEC on Nature Conservancy carbon offset fraud (6 Apr)

The Nature Conservancy has been caught by Bloomberg News selling phony carbon offsets to at least J.P. Morgan Chase, Disney and Blackrock, which have wrongly touted the bogus offsets purchased. Below is my letter to the Climate Task Force of the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission’s Division of Enforcement.

Dear Ms. Kelly L. Gibson, Chairman, SEC Climate Task Force

I am writing to request that you investigate the false and misleading touting of carbon offsets by SEC registrants J.P. Morgan Chase, Disney and Blackrock.

As reported by Bloomberg News, the Nature Conservancy has been selling phony carbon offset credits to the above mentioned companies and the companies have been, in turn, falsely touting them. Here is a 2020 example by Disney.

The fun thing about the Bloomberg article is the journo is a raving thermageddonist fruit loop who is wringing his hands about the fact that all these companies are buying fake carbon credits then parading their virtue around. He likes them buying them, just wants the indulgences to be real ones, not fake. Which is fun since there aren’t any actual real ones.

26. Tel says:

Bruce, there’s nothing that will piss off a crook faster than sensing some other crook muscling in on their territory. People can get hurt that way.

27. H B Bear says:

The “triple threat” currently off the WA coast consists of a Cat 1 cyclone named by the Indos and a tropical low yet to be even named. And still made headlines on the 6pm news. Pure weather pron.

28. Bad Samaritan says:

caveman says:
    April 8, 2021 at 10:21 pm
    “This will be the last time we see the high 20s and low 30s (degrees C.) until next spring.” So does that mean Summer will be cold? Is this a Flannery thing.

I just had a look at the BOM forecast for Sydney. Sunday/Monday both 21 Degrees. but Thursday 29 degrees, so I’m kinda wondering what Mr How means by no more high 20s.
    29.99 Degrees maybe?

29. Kneel says:

“I love a sunburnt country,
    A land of sweeping plains,”

From Hey Hey It’s Saturday’s Aussie Osterich (when it was a morning show):

And all those folks with worm out brooms
    From sweeping those flaming plains.

DS: You’re chirpy tonight…
    AO: yeah, well I’m a bird, aren’t I?

30. Bruce of Newcastle says:

Sorry about the double posting…the naughty precious stone word catches me out all the time.

31. Terry says:

mh says:
    April 8, 2021 at 11:15 pm
    ‘And Bill Gates wants to block the sun.’

To save the planet, we need to send ol’ Bill off on the first oxygen-unassisted mission to Lagrange Point 1 and see if his enormous ego makes a difference.

32. Entropy says:

The interesting thing about TCs Seroja and Odette is they will merge and strengthen to cat 2 or 3 strength and cross the coast just to the south of Denham. Odette looks the most impressive but will get eaten by Seroja before hitting the coast. Due to topography there, and depending on tides, the storm surge might be very impressive.

33. Kneel says:

“To save the planet,…”

Is the Vogon contructer fleet approaching? Going to destroy the entire planet so they can build a hyperspace by-pass?
    If not, then I suggest “the planet” does not need to be “saved”.

34. John A says:

Kneel says: April 9, 2021, at 3:29 pm

“To save the planet,…”

Is the Vogon constructor fleet approaching? Going to destroy the entire planet so they can build a hyperspace by-pass?
    If not, then I suggest “the planet” does not need to be “saved”.

Our governments and scientists are so enamoured of woke-ness that they will completely miss the arrival of the Vogons, and won’t have a clue about communicating with them anyway.

Without a Sub-ether Sens-O-Matic we have no prospect of hitching a ride either.

Any ideas about how to contact the Goldafrinchams? 🙂

35. Kneel says:

“Any ideas about how to contact the Goldafrinchams?”

The “B Ark” landed here some time ago, and spread rapidly. Now known as the political class.

36. Mike Ryan says:

In spite of Covid, this has been a glorious, “cool” summer. A bitingly cold winter is just what I want to see – lots of outages.
    It will drive the narrative.