Philip Mountbatten 1921 – 2021

Prince Philip has passed away aged 99.

From The Times:

Prince Philip was born in 1921 in Corfu, the fifth child and only son of Prince Andrew of Greece and Denmark and Princess Alice of Battenberg. His family, the house of Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg, were descended from Danish aristocracy and placed on the Greek throne in 1863. Their tempestuous relationship with Greece culminated in a coup d’état in 1922. The royal family were forced into exile.

Philip and his parents settled in modest circumstances in Paris, where he began his education at an American school, the Elms. Away from his home country, Philip was of uncertain status. Of advantage, however, were his links with Britain. Via his mother he was the great-great-grandson of Queen Victoria and grandson of Prince Louis of Battenberg (whose anglicised family name, Mountbatten, he would later adopt). To cultivate these connections, Philip was sent to a traditional preparatory school, Cheam, in Hampshire, between 1928 and 1933. In Britain the Mountbattens took care of him, especially after his mother’s hospitalisation for paranoid schizophrenia in 1930.

Philip’s schooling proceeded at two elite if rather unorthodox schools. The first, Schule Schloss Salem near the Bavarian Alps, was an institution where liberality of mind was imparted in a rugged and austere physical environment. When the Nazis forced its Jewish founder, Kurt Hahn, to flee, he restarted his project at a new school: Gordonstoun in Scotland. Philip followed, and thrived. Hahn’s appraisals of his student — “lively intelligence”, “meticulous attention to detail and pride of workmanship”, “capacity to derive great fun from small incidents” — continued to ring true.

In 1939 Philip left Gordonstoun and, aged 18, entered the Royal Naval College at Dartmouth in Devon. He graduated top of his class having received commendations including best cadet. His capability as a naval officer was apparent from the start and, had his life gone differently, few doubt that he would have achieved distinction on his own merits. During the war Philip served around the world, seeing action in the Mediterranean in 1941 and witnessing the Japanese surrender at Tokyo Bay.

From The Telegraph:

Dubbed irascible, and said to drop “bricks”, he was clear-thinking and positive, subtly instigating changes within the monarchy and in many areas of public life. It is probable that his achievements will be fully appreciated only in the reflective light of the years following his death.

He was alert to the danger of the monarchy becoming a museum piece, however, and had no time for what he called “fundungus”, or false trappings. He disliked unnecessary pomp, and “zoo teas”, where the people gawped at their Sovereign.

He also had an instinctive dislike of the kind of chairmen who materialised during visits to factories, delivered slick speeches, but were not adequately engaged. These figures he enjoyed catching out.

Like the Queen, he liked to meet the people who did the job and to learn what made them tick. On royal visits, when time was limited, he could come across as abrupt, even aggressive. But at all times he welcomed a frank exchange and he liked people to stand up to him.

Much of the sniping arose from his famous diplomatic gaffes. In China he was quoted as having remarked to a group of British students: “If you stay here much longer you’ll all be slitty-eyed.” To the president of Nigeria, wearing traditional robes, he said: “You look like you’re ready for bed!”

Of an Australian aboriginal chieftain, he inquired: “Do you chaps still chuck spears at each other?” And to a British student trekking in Papua New Guinea, he quipped: “So you managed not to get eaten then?”

Such remarks were seized on by journalists eager to propagate the notion that he was a boorish fool, a racist, or, as he put it, “an uncultured, polo-playing clot”. No doubt the Duke made up his mind too easily, and tended to be brisk in brushing aside opposing views, but his main mission was to engage with the person he was talking to, to get a rise and, if possible, a laugh.

The man who was so often presented as an ignorant philistine took immense pains to be well informed. In 1990 his biographer, Tim Heald, counted 8,385 volumes in his private library at Buckingham Palace – 560 books on birds, 456 on religion, 352 on the Navy and ships, and no fewer than 209 books of poetry. Prose fiction did not feature so largely, apart from tales of adventure and daring.

There was also a surprising sensitivity and humility lurking beneath the gruffness. Aged 21, he wrote to a relation: “I know you will never think very much of me. I am rude and unmannerly and I say many things out of turn which I realise afterwards must have hurt someone. Then I am filled with remorse and try to put matters right.”

From the WSJ:

In private, Philip and Elizabeth were like any elderly couple, biographer Sarah Bradford said. “If the queen wanted to give the corgis tea and biscuits and they were roaming around the floor being a nuisance, he would shout and she would pay no attention,” Ms. Bradford said. “He was the only man in the world who could treat her as an ordinary woman.”

During her Diamond Jubilee in 2012, Queen Elizabeth called Prince Philip her “constant strength and guide.” He died the oldest-ever male member of the British royal family.

346 Responses to Philip Mountbatten 1921 – 2021

1. Top Ender says:

Prince Philip discussing his naval service in WWII – 45 minute interview.

2. Top Ender says:

Anyone know when and where this Canberra 41 gun salute to Prince Phil is taking place?

3. Roger says:

Outside Parliament House, I believe, T.E.

4. Clam Chowdah says:

And it isn’t a pantomime when the person on the receiving end is recognisable from his Youtube posts. It’s a subtle difference. You and I can be faceless here and comment as we wish – that looked a little close to home to me.

Seriously? I thought it was hollow Sabre rattling between two anonymous posters. That puts a different complexion on matters. Pull your head in “Fin”.

5. Leigh Lowe says:

Roger says:

April 10, 2021 at 1:39 pm

Outside Parliament House, I believe, T.E.

Muzzles directed inwards I hope.

6. BorisG says:

Both of his parents were direct descendants of Queen Victoria.

7. Leigh Lowe says:

Gosh!
    I’ve seen wakes turn ugly before but this is up there.
    Settle down everybody.
    None of youse are in the will.*
    * A statememt guaranteed to make things worse at a feral wake.

8. Mick Gold Coast QLD says:

Arky says at 1:28 pm:

” …
    You just typed around 300 words about me.”

… from a bloke who has just completed snarling at strangers about people he knows not, for 12 hours straight, a post every 20 minutes.

Now, where were we? Yes … I have been marvelously entertained, you have amused me on and off this morning.

Oh the bitterness! Do cheer up champ.

9. Infidel Tiger says:

It’s possible that Prince Phillip has visited more hospitals, more orphanages, more charities and shaken more hands than any person in history ever has or will do.

He was also the finest comedian of the last century.

That is some life.

10. P says:

Top Ender says:
    April 10, 2021 at 12:45 pm

Prince Philip discussing his naval service in WWII – 45 minute interview.

Tops.

11. cuckoo says:

Canberra 41 gun salute to Prince Phil…
    Outside Parliament House, I believe, T.E.
    Muzzles directed inwards I hope.

I heard a news story the other day about a laser being fired into space from Canberra and thought, wouldn’t it be better to fire it into Canberra from space? It’s the only way to be sure.

12. Cassie of Sydney says:

“Both of his parents were direct descendants of Queen Victoria.”

Nope…only his mother, Princess Alice of Battenberg, was a direct descendent of Queen Victoria. His father, Prince Andrew of Greece, was the son of King George of Greece who was the son of King Christian and Queen Louise of Denmark. George was invited to become King of Greece in the early 1860’s. Prince Andrew’s mother was Grand Duchess Olga of Russia….granddaughter of Tsar Nicholas I of Russia.

13. Infidel Tiger says:

He was the Queen of England’s consort for 69 years and Elizabeth’s husband for 74. I think we can safely describe him as an Englishman.

You don’t have to be born in England to be and Englishman.

It’s a way of being.

14. BorisG says:

They disagree with my view.
    Yet none of them would go online

These are not just ‘your views’. You can have any views you like. But perhaps you can learn to express them in a civil manner, instead of throwing insults. I wonder if you do the same when teaching at school.

One possible analogy: when you are at a dinner party, and the host offers you some food, would you answer: no this is disgusting, who could possibly eat this stuff etc.?

I know Internet freedom encourages everyone to raise the pitch (anonymity, etc) but maintaining some level of civility may actually help get your point of view across. Just saying…

15. BorisG says:

Just to clarify, this was directed at Arky.

16. Leigh Lowe says:

You don’t have to be born in England to be and Englishman.

It’s a way of being.

A way of being which, I might remind you sir, precludes hunting foxes whilst drinking canned lager and without one’s shirt.

17. Arky says:

Yap yap.
    Yap yap.
    Carry on, anonymous big mouth wankers. Your views are worthless.
    As opposed to those who have disagreed with me, but bothered to put forth arguments.

18. Rex Anger says:

From a stooge who not 2 days ago was calling everyone who disagreed with his C00f panic-mongering anti-fact and anti-science, the Cat a madhouse and how the current crop of posters are a poor reflection on its history?

Watch out Boris, the stones in the glasshouse bounce…

19. Infidel Tiger says:

I wear tweed and drink claret.

20. Bar Beach Swimmer says:

Arky:

I hold them responsible only for their actions or lack thereof. I do not hold them responsible for the broader societal changes over which they had little control

We have a pretty witty king,
    Whose word no man relies on;
    He never said a foolish thing,
    Nor ever did a wise one.
    John Wilmot, 2nd Earl of Rochester, as quoted in Blackwood’s Edinburgh Magazine Vol. XLIV (January – June 1857) p. 592;

It is said to that this was written on the door of Charles II’s bedchamber, and that on seeing it, the king replied, “This is very true: for my words are my own, and my actions are my ministers’….”

21. Leigh Lowe says:

I wear tweed and drink claret.

As one does.
    Standards, my good man! Standards!

22. BorisG says:

Go back and look at the language you used to ‘disagree’.

23. Rex Anger says:

Go back and look at the language you used to ‘disagree’.

So what? You’re still a stooge, and the rocks are still bouncing.

24. ACTOldFart says:

They’re changing guard at Buckingham Palace –
    Arky piled in with evident malice
    “Andrew’s a creep and Charles is a loon
    I pray that they may all be gone soon
    They repel us”

They’re changing guard at Buckingham Palace –
    Arky had more nasty stories to tell us
    “Her Majesty’s tribe are all on the take
    May they all decline, for decency’s sake –
    So totally callous”

They’re changing guard at Buckingham Palace –
    Arky’s remarks grew ever more jealous
    ’till a bunch of the Cats got tired of this pap
    And offered to separate Ark from his crap
    How zealous!

25. Rex Anger says:

More burn in that little ditty than a dump truck-load of Ghost Peppers…

26. Pyrmonter says:

@ TopEnder

5 o’clock, Parliament House.

For those in Sydney: https://www.facebook.com/events/474746013672924

27. Tropical says:

Prince Phillip was Colonel in Chief of the Royal Australian Electrical and Mechanical Engineers. A Corps I was proud to serve in for 31 Years, discharging in 2009.
    Prince Philip presented his banner to the Corps in 1986 at Bandiana Victoria.
    He will be missed by the RAEME mafia.

28. ACTOldFart says:

I am not sure I would describe him as an Englishman-he was born in Greece of Danish descent

Both of his parents were direct descendants of Queen Victoria.

As is of course Her Majesty herself. I think this explains a lot about Prince Charles’ behaviour

29. Notafan says:

Except that Prince Philip wasn’t and their family trees aren’t that entwined.

30. Ƶĩppʯ (ȊꞪꞨV) says:

Phillip was taught to be stoic….a character trait that has gone out of fashion in our narcissistic age

fact check: true

the age of me me me me #metoo #me me eme

31. Arky says:

Both of his parents were direct descendants of Queen Victoria.
    As is of course Her Majesty herself.

As was the Kaiser.

32. Notafan says:

They are third cousins and both only have a single line to Queen Victoria.

None of which is a secret.

33. Tintarella di Luna says:

ACTOldFart says:
    April 10, 2021 at 3:01 pm

Thank you for your contribution to this excellent free speech blog, it is a wonderment to behold and only the most steadfast dare tread and speak freely.

34. Notafan says:

His great grandmother Alice married her father’s first cousin though.

35. Infidel Tiger says:

Royalty is a bit like horse breeding.

You keep the bloodlines close. You’ll get some awful slow ones, but every now and then a champ.

36. BorisG says:

So what?

It is hard and pointless to be civil in response to insults. It only works when everyone is civil.

What happens otherwise is well illustrated by Arky’s drama on this very thread.

37. Rex Anger says:

Uh huh. Rocks are still bouncing.

38. Arky says:

ACTOldFart says:
    April 10, 2021 at 3:01 pm

That’s some funny shit.

39. Notafan says:

And of course Queen Victoria and Prince Albert were first cousins which adds flavour to the marriage of their daughter to Prince Albert’s cousin, who was hopefully on the other side.

The last couple of generations have mixed it up pretty well though.

40. Arky says:

It is hard and pointless to be civil in response to insults.

I don’t lead off with directed insults.
    But I do respond to them in kind.
    Over the years I have observed it’s the only way to deal with them on here for me.
    As much as I admire those like Roger and Bruce from Newcastle and others here who can deal with them without replying in kind, that isn’t me.
    Nor you.

41. jupes says:

That is some life.

Indeed it was.

42. Rex Anger says:

It must be pointed out that plaintive cries for civility after the fact tend to be from those who kicked out first with an inflammatory or otherwise trollish ambit, and really did not like what came back at them…

43. calli says:

There was swearing on the Cat. And mean talk.

44. calli says:

The Duke would be shocked. And saddened.

45. Leigh Lowe says:

OldFart at 3:01.
    Noice.
    Very noice.

46. Leigh Lowe says:

Infidel Tiger says:

April 10, 2021 at 3:56 pm

Royalty is a bit like horse breeding.

And the useless ones end up in cans of dog food?

47. Rex Anger says:

And the useless ones end up in cans of dog food?

It’s not that kind of dynasty…

48. Lurcio says:

I’m not too proud to say that I stole this from a friend in the Royal Navy commenting on HRH The Prince Phillip.

<emThank you for your selfless duty to Queen and Country, may fair winds and a following sea carry you on your eternal voyage.
    RIP Sir your watch is over….

49. Leigh Lowe says:

50. Leigh Lowe says:

If Harry and Meggsie show up, this is going to be the most awkward funeral since this one.

51. Squirrel says:

Like to think that he’s now comparing notes with Albert and delighting in first hand accounts of the Great Eastern and the Great Western.

52. dover_beach says:

Dr James Kent
    @DrJamesKent3
    2h
    Once, Prince Philip was quietly informed that he might be asked a pretty standard question at Australian customs. He was asked: “Do you have a criminal record, sir?” He replied: “I had no idea it was still a requirement.”
    We shall miss him.

We will miss him.

53. Makka says:

We will miss him.

You bet we will.

“Do you work it a strip club?” – to 24-year-old Barnstaple Sea Cadet Elizabeth Rendle in March 2010, after she told him she also worked in a nightclub.

“How many people have you knocked over this morning on that thing?” – meeting disabled David Miller, who drives a mobility scooter, at the Valentine Mansion in Redbridge in March 2012.

54. calli says:

They’re digging deep for “gaffes” on NBN. Brainless commentary.

He meant what he said. He was candid, cutting, raw. So what?

The last plain speaker in public life.*

* unless the orange one makes a return

55. I feel like I’m six, again. I wonder if it couldn’t possibly stop.

56. Bar Beach Swimmer says:

Infidel Tiger says:
    April 10, 2021 at 1:58 pm

He was also the finest comedian of the last century.

That is some life

+ it’s a way of being

IT, when you’re hot, you’re hot!
    2 great comments

57. BorisG says:

I don’t lead off with directed insults.

Here arky you started by insulting the man who just died and the royal family in mourning. This set the stage for this mudsligung or whatever the word is.

58. Arky says:

Fucking rubbish.
    Grow up. Your betters neither want nor require your ridiculous obsequious arse tonguing.
    Foul.

59. Rex Anger says:

He said something that was accurate for him you didn’t like, you decided to come in all high-and-mighty, and promptly got toppled off your unjustifiable moral perch for being full of shit.

Sorry, Boris. I can’t possibly imagine how painful those stones that keep ricocheting off the glasshouse walls must be…

60. Mick Gold Coast QLD says:

Leigh Lowe says at 5:09 pm:

“FFS, it is not a “gaffe” if you know what you are saying, meant to say it and meant it to be heard.”

At last! As Michael Caine would say, “Not many people know that”, least of all a modern deluded “professional journalist” with a tech college certificate in writing compositions for Miss.

The weekend work experience kiddie newsreaders and writers have been running about all day discovering and describing just about every word Prince Philip ever uttered as “hilarious” or “outrageous” or “slur-fully r8cist”, and “gaffe” without understanding what the word means.

The appalling dills struggle – having never ever written or announcing anything about someone who is so old! – I mean, like, the Kardashians are all fashionably 30 something aren’t they, like the several Mrs Michael Clarkes?

61. BorisG says:

Arky I have no idea what you are taking about. I sometimes have a sympathy for you as you are often so bitter about certain things and reality more generally. I wonder if you have been like this all your life or just later years? It is one thing to be a bit nostalgic about the past but downright weird to be so bitter about it. Life changes, society changes, and that’s just a fact of life. The problem very often is actually inside us more than outside. Cheer up mate!

I am actually pretty agnostic about the monarchy.

62. Rockdoctor says:

Mick credit where it is due at least DM had the honesty to print this:

Mr Clements met the Queen and Prince Philip at the Tjapukai Cultural Centre in Smithfield during a visit that caused controversy around the world after what were perceived as racist comments from the royal.

The performer though says it was nothing but ‘media sensationalism’ and that he felt honest respect from the Queen’s husband.

‘When I shook his hand, there was so much energy… you don’t build fellas like that these days. He was tough as nails,’ he said.

‘From that moment I had a deep respect for him.

‘People should not judge someone unless they have met them and, most importantly, do research before they start creating media sensationalism.’

From this article:

63. min says:

Arky Well there has got to be someone who opens buildings, heads up charities and good works, makes speeches and shakes hands . The monarchy goes and you will pay some other to do the same job . Even Governors do some of this so abolish the lot and save money . What do they do in Communist/socialist countries I am sure the top there do some of the same ?

64. mh says:

I read a story from ‘Aussie’ Joe Bugner re Prince Philip.
    Back in the seventies Joe was a UK celebrity of sorts, or more like a pantomime villain, having taken all of Henry Cooper’s titles in a controversial boxing match.
    He was at a function which Prince Philip was attending, and Joe got set up by someone who said that Philip wanted to meet him.
    Joe walked up and said “I heard you wanted to see me, Sir”.
    Prince Philip pulled a face like he had just stepped in something, then said “What on earth for?”
    Joe walked off feeling a total dill.

65. candy says:

I think the grief about Prince Phillip is a lot about the feeling for the Queen who has lost her dearest companion her husband of over 70 years. On top of that the family troubles with Harry acting like a teenager at nearly 40 years old and disrespecting his dad and grandparents.

People feel for her. At her age, and going through this.

It goes to show how loved and respected she is right around the world and at some stage it must end, we can see that. A very sad thought.

66. Rockdoctor says:

Candy my mum said the same thing albeit in a round about way today. Especially with Megs, oops sorry meant Harry.

67. min says:

So righty Candy considering the the time they were together , even before marriage . As a teenager when he was away at the war she had his photo by her bed so one of her bridesmaids said .
    Can anyone tell me why a 41 gun salute ? 41 seems to be a strange number.

68. Pyrmonter says:

@ min

More generally: https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-04-10/australian-41-gun-salute-to-mark-passing-prince-philip/100061186

(At the risk of annoying the Doomlord: the ABC’s treatment, on television and its website, has been reasonably good: dignified without being maudlin (though I’d have preferred someone other than Annabel Crabb last night – she can’t really do ‘serious’). An indication (perhaps) that it won’t mess up the inevitable when it comes.)

69. min says:

Thanks Pyrmonter

70. publius says:

with all of the ‘gaffes’ and quips, not one fart joke in 70+yrs.
    i wonder if he regretted it.

71. Rex Anger says:

with all of the ‘gaffes’ and quips, not one fart joke in 70+yrs.
    i wonder if he regretted it.

Come now, publius. Prince Phillip was a dad, grandpa and a surrogate dad for a time to JFK’s son. “Pull my finger” jokes are an intimate and closely-guarded family secret tradition of Commoners and Kings alike.

And only Services types will ever truly get the simultaneous hilarity and the peril of a mistimed (and shouty) fart dropped while on Parade…

72. mh says:

Publius, does this count?

Talking about his equestrian-inclined daughter, Princess Anne: ‘If it doesn’t fart or eat hay, she isn’t interested.’

73. Zulu Kilo Two Alpha says:

Can anyone tell me why a 41 gun salute ? 41 seems to be a strange number.

21 gun salute for Royalty, 20 guns fired from a Royal Park.

74. Zulu Kilo Two Alpha says:

Particularly at the end of a long and bullshit speech, delivered by a particularly unpopular senior officer….JBH, I’m looking at you….

75. 132andBush says:

What a load of patronising drivel.

Arky has every right to feel what he feels, a lot of us feel the same.
    Not necessarily about the Monarchy in particular but so what?

You see the way society is changing now as something good I take it?

76. Albatross says:

BorisG says:
    April 10, 2021 at 7:59 pm

You’re such a turd Boris. The best that can be said about you is that you live up to your moniker.

77. BorisG says:

You see the way society is changing now as something good I take it?

Is the fact that earth rotates around the sun good or bad? It’s just a fact of life. Trillions are being spent to stop climate change, yet climate like society changes all the time. Of course we can oppose and resent certain societal changes but we have to also recognize trends that are caused by objective factors…

Take the issue of manufacturing that Ark is so bitter about. He is blaming politicians (and inexplicably even the royals) for so called free trade policies that allowed manufacturing to be moved to low cost countries. But this is natural, and trade barriers are unnatural. People want cheaper goods. Ultimately if people wanted to, they can pay for more expensive local products, but by and large they don’t. What right governments have to restrict this? Of course Chinese government does, but they are authoritarian, and we rightly condemn them for this, right?

People who oppose these kinds of changes remind me of those who opposed mechanization and vandalized machines during industrial revolution.

I think by and large we need to adapt…

78. dover_beach says:

Facts can be good or bad. This fact is good, obviously, as it’s essential for life on earth which is objectively, good.

79. BorisG says:

That’s highly subjective and Depends on your definition of good.

80. NoFixedAddress says:

BorisG

how is your China mate?

81. egg_ says:

Oh the bitterness! Do cheer up champ.

Spiralling into the abyss – piling on the weight in the process.

82. egg_ says:

40-odd raging posts on the first page of this thread alone – obsession much?

83. egg_ says:

BorisG says:
    April 10, 2021 at 7:59 pm

Came across something recently on the intarwebs about being wary of “black pillers” and their agendas.

84. egg_ says:

I’ve seen wakes turn ugly before but this is up there.
    Settle down everybody.

Fvcktard’s in “can’t we all be friends” mode.

85. egg_ says:

12 hours straight, a post every 20 minutes.

Sponsored by McWilliam’s Royal Reserve Sherry.

86. egg_ says:

ACTOldFart says:
    April 10, 2021 at 3:01 pm

Amen.

What’s that joke about a “Finishing School” in New Zealand?

87. Tel says:

Brutal, but accurate … continuing Philip’s good work.

88. dover_beach says:

That’s highly subjective and Depends on your definition of good.

No, life on earth is an obvious good, therefore, so are the conditions that allow life on earth to flourish.

89. 132andBush says:

BorisG says:
    April 11, 2021 at 1:16 am

That’s highly subjective and Depends on your definition of good.

Utter gibberish.

90. rickw says:

That bitch who makes Al Sharpton look principled will be happy.

91. Tel says:

No, life on earth is an obvious good.

You’re just saying that because of living privilege.

92. egg_ says:

Your betters neither want nor require your ridiculous obsequious arse tonguing.

Charles was pleasantly surprised by the public response to his father’s death, black pill.

93. Carpe Jugulum says:
    April 17, 2021 at 6:50 pm

This is from YouTube and is acyually titled “Hitler learns of the death of Prince Phillip” it isn’t a parody as i thought it would be but has some brilliant footage of HRH at his best.