The Staggering Return of Mickey Finn

LAST month – without any evidence – the ABC presented the misadventures of Katie and Kylie as proof-positive of a drink-spiking epidemic. The revival of this zombie urban myth isn’t surprising given the misandrist hysteria being theatrically stoked on a daily basis by the national broadcaster. Yesterday – again, without evidence – the ABC pushed the idea that a nationwide booze-poisoning emergency is afoot. Its only sources were a barmaid and two bar managers.

I felt embarrassed and initially assumed I was drunk, despite only having had one pint. It took me a while to realise that I had been spiked.”

– No evidence is presented for this by the ABC.

Can you think of a reason why bar managers might be especially keen on blaming rogue spikers for young women keeling over on their premises? I can. Another noteworthy feature in many of these tales is the presence and testimony of mum and/or dad. Invariably, they accompany their beloved to hospital and are livid with the curs responsible for a sensible daughter being found unleashing in the culverts of virtue’s narrow path. Alternative scenarios may be more awkward.

This entry was posted in Ethics and morality, Fake News, Politics of the Left. Bookmark the permalink.

44 Responses to The Staggering Return of Mickey Finn

1. Lysander says:

It’s an offence to serve a person under the influence of alcohol.

2. min says:

Speaking with g’daughter , a doctor , about her experiences in terminations , miscarriages and STDs at the moment in a large public hospital, there are many young girls presenting with alcohol and drugs being blamed for their conditions . No mention of spiked drinks and at the forefront of treatment for these problems one would think that the possibility that drinks were spiked would be mentioned.

3. min says:

That’s interesting Lysander and that makes me question the state she said she was in and how she was served enough alcohol to get her so drunk she could not get her shoes on in relation to another case being put all over the media . How can Scomo be blamed for that ?

4. calli says:

despite only having had one pint

A pint of what? Neat vodka?

Seriously though, who the hell was she with? Or just hooked with a bunch of randoms like idiotic girls seem to do these days? And if she suspected, what was to stop her having the thing tested, or speaking to the bar management, or going straight to Emergency and having a blood test?

Sorry luv. You drank too much, probably in an empty stomach or too fast or in conjunction with some medication.

But it does make a cool story.

5. eb says:

being found unleashing in the culverts of virtue’s narrow path

That’s great CL. Where is that from?

I don’t care what the issue is, even if I agree or not (though I mostly do), but CL’s posts are a treasure.

6. calli says:

Where is that from?

Kath and Kim at the races.

7. Crossie says:

It’s the breakdown in tradition. In earlier times girls went out with their boyfriends who had good reasons to make sure the girl was returned unharmed to the bosom of the family. Now girls go out in packs or alone where nobody cares.

8. Fat Tony says:

I remember reading one Police Sergeant’s take on drink spiking many years ago – he noted that the ones who claimed to have had their drinks spiked usually had 20+ drinks. Just PFO.

9. Zulu Kilo Two Alpha says:

I remember reading one Police Sergeant’s take on drink spiking many years ago –

Perth cops said the same thing after an outbreak of “drink spiking” in Northbridge, a few years ago.

10. duncanm says:

If I skull a pint on an empty stomach – especially a 12% dark – I can certainly get a bit pissed.

Its a plague I tells ya! https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-03-10/chapel-street-drink-spiking-concerns/13233392

While the ABC has had several anecdotal reports of people having their drinks spiked on Chapel Street in recent months, this was not reflected in official Victoria Police statistics.
    Since 2016, police have only had 16 incidents of drink spiking reported to them — two of them last year

.. and this is telling

An Ambulance Victoria Spokesperson said conversations between paramedics and patients were confidential.

“We’d like to reassure young people that it doesn’t matter what they have taken, we will treat them without judgment to ensure they are safe,” the spokesperson said.

11. duncanm says:

Crossie says:
    April 16, 2021 at 3:04 pm

Excellent point.

Not only was the boy being held responsible for his behaviour, he was also responsible for the lady’s welfare.

12. duncanm says:

.. and from NSW police, Drink Spiking – Myths and Facts.

MYTH #4. There is currently a drink spiking ‘epidemic’ in New South Wales
    MYTH #7. Drink spiking is a relatively new crime.
    Adding a stupefying or intoxicating substance into another person’s drink or food is an
    old crime, often carried out as a ‘prank’ for the amusement of the offender/s.

ie: perpetrated by the immediate group of friends.

13. Notafan says:

Wonderful CL.
    Used to go out with female friends in the late 70s, early 80s, not everyone has a boyfriend all the time.

What we didn’t do is claim our drunken idiocies were the result of nasty men spiking our drinks.

We did that ourselves.

14. Mother Lode says:

It is the same as with dress – if a woman is attacked then suggesting something they did (dressing to very much advertise her sexual wares) or drinking so much they become less sensible or discriminating than they would sober is ‘blaming the victim’.

In these cases men are not seen as victims. They are therefore ripe for blaming.

15. Mick Gold Coast QLD says:

“proof-positive of a drink-spiking epidemic”

I have posted previously what I heard a decade ago, two likely, from ambulancemen and coppers we know here on the Coast …

“Whatever you do, don’t attend Casualty on Friday or Saturday night?”

Me: “Why not?”

“Our customers are almost all over-dosed junkies or teenage drunks, every weekend – you wouldn’t like it here! They are costing you plenty.”

Me: “What about this drink spiking thing I hear about?”

“When the Orchid Avenue cops and bouncers spot young Precious staggering about they are obliged to call us, to protect themselves. When Daddy and Mummy turn up to collect her she’s got to blame someone, hasn’t she? They lie so easily, their parents have no idea – would be horrified to see – what their innocent little darlings get up to around here.”

16. Dinky says:

Plus the medical fact that, in general, females have a lower tolerance for alcohol.

17. Chris M says:

Did that happen to the parliament house media bimbo?

18. Albatross says:

Good post.

19. tombell says:

It’s about time young women (particularly the woke brigade) were required to apply for a “permit” to drink. Maybe make them wear a “P” sign above the crotch until a licensed drink coach can certify that they’re capable of downing a few without :-
    a. getting screwed willy nilly,
    b. losing (temporarily) their memory; and
    c. (after a period of years) screaming “rape”.

20. Mark M says:

Seinfeld: George decides to slip a Mickey Finn into boss drink

21. Grunter says:

My daughter pulled this one on my wife and I. Came home in a mess, claimed her drink was spiked but she revealed years later that there was no spiking, only over indulgence.

Unfortunately, in today’s world “victims” cannot be questioned or interrogated

22. Scott Osmond says:

I’m 104kg. Drinking a scotch on a empty stomach hits hard. Now, how hard would it hit a 50kg or less female? Each time a little girl is carted in to a er smashed silly she should have a blood sample taken. If she pulls the spiking claim send the sample off to be tested. When it comes back with just alcohol hit her with lodging a false complaint and or hand her the bill for all the cleanup. Do the same for males btw. A medical safety net should be for accident or regular problems not to clean up after self-indulgent drunks and druggos.

23. areff says:

I believe it. Someone spikes my drinks almost every night. Might be the cat.

24. H B Bear says:

Sounds like Grampian garage N A Z I S to me. Not according to “Australia’s most trusted news source”.

25. min says:

Just speaking with a Young second year Science student who works in the bar and restaurant at my retirement apartments . She had heard of one person who had drink spiked but reckons there are bigger problems with lowlife claiming to be Uber drivers .

26. Lysander says: April 16, 2021 at 2:37 pm

It’s an offence to serve a person under the influence of alcohol.

Jurisdictions vary.
    It is not an offence in mighty Qld.
    It is however, an offence to serve liquor to someone who is exhibiting any signs they may be ‘overly intoxicated’ – the legislation is specifically designed to include stutterers, those with cerebral palsy, or any one of a zillion regular medical conditions or minor physical impairments.

Prior to Premier Pony-Girl, it was okay to serve those who did not have alcohol, but did have a minor physical impairment (say cleft palate).
    She changed the legislation.

27. ar says:

where do I get these Mickey Finns? Is it cheaper than full-price alcohol + tax?

28. Holy moly, there’s some first class info in that ABC ‘report’
    One of the bartender sources reveals she sure isn’t hired for her brainpower:

Keeping an eye on bar patrons doesn’t just happen in person, but also online, where Ms Dowling says private Facebook groups filled with local hospitality workers trade … tip-offs of particularly disruptive customers.
    Ms Dowling says privately naming and shaming patrons who … spike drinks, has been one of the most effective ways to protect … her workplace…

“Right before the first lockdown, a man walked into my venue — super chirpy and outgoing,” Ms Dowling said.
    And I didn’t serve him because I saw his photo on the group a few days beforehand saying he was a drink spiker.”

Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy, x 100 times.

29. Tintarella di Luna says:

That’s great CL. Where is that from?

100% always a great read, with grateful thanks C.L.

30. Fair Shake says:

Reminds of a Policeman friend of mine a few years back claimed VB was the most potent drink around. Whenever he pulled over a drunk driver who blew above 0.05 most times they claimed they had had only one stubbie of VB. Potent stuff.

31. Lysander says:

100% always a great read, with grateful thanks C.L.

32. JohnJJJ says:

Another step towards the Shari’a. They have two solutions: no booze and only accompanied by a male relative. If we insist on the male/female equivalency in the freeeeee society and no family responsibility, I am afraid the step is it.

33. Mother Lode says:

I believe it. Someone spikes my drinks almost every night. Might be the cat.

Worse than that – they siphon out more of the drinks from the bottles, or leave more empty bottles.

And worse yet: I don’t even have a cat!

34. candy says:

You would think the manager of the bar would go to the police. It’s not like “fat shaming”. Spiking a drink could cause a serious medical reaction.

It’s an ABC report so it’s probably just made up nonsense.

35. It’s an ABC report so it’s probably just made up nonsense.

Yep.

For what Candy?
    Because someone wrote on Facebook that this bloke is a “drink spiker”?

36. Knuckle Dragger says:

candy:

‘Spiking a drink could cause a serious medical reaction.’

Yes. For example, pregnancy.

37. dover_beach says:

Damn, this post is well-written.

38. Fair Shake says:

Someone spiked my pint of Jägermeister! Now that my career is finished can someone help me unwrap my car …from this light pole.

39. min says:

Yes Candy I believe there can be dangerous outcomes if a spiked drink is had on top of other illegal drugs already in system . That may apply for legal drugs also .

40. Dianeh says:

Notafan says:
    April 16, 2021 at 3:31 pm
    Wonderful CL.

We did that ourselves.

As young women we often hunted in packs, often over indulging in wine, or kalhua, or whatever our current poison was.

Our rule was to always take care of each other. Never let a drunk friend go off on their own, making sure we got home alright, going to the after pub parties in pairs or a group.

We were supportive and protective. And we stayed safe, which is amazing when I think of what we got up to.

Young women now do not seem to have that commitment to their friends, due partly, I think, to assuming they are safe because they have their phone. More to it than that but you get the general idea.

41. Cynic of A says:

Slightly the same, but different.
    In another life, I was a Queensland Ambulance Bearer. (We were “Bearers” not “Officers” or such hi-falutin’ stuff.)
    Anyway, the most dangerous speed was 30 MPH.
    At almost every road accident where the driver was coherent, and sitting in the middle of the wreckage, “Jeez, I was only doing 30 MPH!”
    Seemed to me that 29 was OK, 30 was a disaster waiting to happen, and anything above was safe.
    A bit like mentioned above, “I only had a pint!”

42. Tailgunner says:

Charles Sobrajh is my homeboy.

43. Seza says:

Fair Shake,
    I think drinking a pint of Jägermeister would just about qualify you for a new car – a German one!.