Open Forum: May 1, 2021

6,917 Responses to Open Forum: May 1, 2021

1. Leigh Lowe says:

Struth says:

May 4, 2021 at 9:12 am

Do your own research , moron.

Let me interpret for you:-
    “I don’t know and I can’t work it out.
    But here are some Big Numbers for you.
    Including a hypothetical truck owner who keeps it in the shed.

2. feelthebern says:

I am getting an uneasy feeling that you are not taking Truck-Train Wars as seriously as you should.

Team Zeppelin checking in.
    Yes, yes…zeppelin’s are the way of the future.

3. 1735099 says:

I don’t lie.

That would have credibility if you understood the meaning of the word.
    You don’t.
    In your world, a “lie” is something you disagree with.
    This is a “lie”.

Further to my correspondence of 26 July, I wish to advise that the statement on our website concerning the “generally voluntary” nature of the service by National Servicemen in Vietnam has been removed. After further consultation and research I concluded that the evidence presented by Mark Dapin in his book on Vietnam appears to be the most definitive presented on the subject and that the statements presented on our website appear to be erroneous – certainly in the experience of most Nashos.

Again, I apologise for any unintended offence or umbrage our website may have caused you or others. I appreciate you communicating your concern.

4. Dot says:

I don’t lie.

Tzeench strikes again.

Just as planned.

5. Leigh Lowe says:

HB, I think they use conc where the underlying ground conditions are so shit that traditional MacAdam doesn’t cut it.
    Not in general use.

6. Mater says:

Oh God!

7. feelthebern says:

Hopefully someone has a comment in moderation that pops up & takes my glorious zeppelin comment to the top o’ the page.

8. Leigh Lowe says:

Team Zeppelin checking in.
    Yes, yes…zeppelin’s are the way of the future.

I knew it!
    Vested interests!
    A shill for Big Airship!

9. Ƶĩppʯ (ȊꞪꞨV) says:

Look like nambob has yet again brought his small dick energy to the blog this morning.

10. Leigh Lowe says:

Mater says:

May 4, 2021 at 9:17 am

Oh God!

No, no.
    The tone is all wrong.
    No exclamation mark.
    More like:-

… Oh God …

11. H B Bear says:

Remember floggers, the government builds the roads and then decides what weights can be put on them.
    If the trucks are damaging the roads, it’s the government’s fault, purely and simply.

Tragedy of the Commons accompanied by a Johnny Cash cassette.

12. Struth says:

The feeble minds of the annoyed.
    Not making any sense, full of shit , know nothing of the subject, but still flapping their digital gums.
    The worldly experts from places like Geelong.
    I mean it’s not the arse end of the world down that way, but if god was looking to give the world an enema………………………

13. Leigh Lowe says:

Today is not Zeppelin day.
    It is Inter-Gallactic Starship day.
    May the Fourth be with you.

14. Mater says:

In your world, a “lie” is something you disagree with.

Ok, Bob, people are sick of me handing you your arse. Consequently, I’m not going to engage in an all day slaying session going over old ground, so I’ll leave you with this thought.

1735099
    #2962329, posted on March 18, 2019 at 9:37 am

My father enlisted in the RAAF whrn (sic) he heard to news of the Darwin bombing. He served in PNG from 1942 until 1946.

I don’t disagree with this statement, but it is a lie…actually it’s two lies.

15. H B Bear says:

Still working on the knob.

16. Rex Anger says:

Stroopwafel summarised this AM:

Waaah waah waah. Me EX-truckee! Me offend by all munee me pay for naught me can see! All choochoo hedz fault, cuz one tren driver say his mob can doo 2000+ tunz bettuh den meee!

Twuckz bettah! An y00z all Commies and getting gummont bribez like those poopoo choochoo hedz if y00z sez uvverwise!

Is that about accurate?

Still waiting for your evidence of rail being subsidised, Stroopwafel. Given that ratepayers and taxpayers do not pay for the metal at anywhere near the same rate they do to maintain their local laneways, streets, country roads, highways and freeways…

17. Arky says:

This useless fucking country. What other places on the planet not inhabited by peoples recently out of the stone age has thrown away a promising start to the point it can’t even operate a look to make socks. Forget making cars, we can’t even make undies.
    Advert on the radio: “… because designed and tested in Australia…” Thus is code for made in a china super factory and we were allowed to chose from some alternatives to small details like colour and the fasteners on the handles. You crooks. You phonies. Gangsters.
    What a shithole. You can’t even run fucking call centres here anymore.
    The heart of Europe shat out to congeal next to a bewildered prehistoric remanent.
    You know what you are? I tell you what you are. You are a made up people. A fiction. In particular, you are a placeholder. A set of idiots bullshitted to for a hundred years to keep the gap open until the real inhabitants show up. Sit down aboriginals, it ain’t you.

18. Struth says:

Tragedy of the Commons accompanied by a Johnny Cash cassette.

That’s right.
    Don’t forget my silver ladies and blue singlet.
    We all have ’em.
    Wankers.

19. Leigh Lowe says:

How are those calculations going St Ruth?
    Dynamic loadings by weight by axle.
    B-double vs Prius.
    Let me know if you need any help working tye calculator.

20. Rex Anger says:

It is Inter-Gallactic Starship day.
    May the Fourth be with you.

The Imperial Navy’s Death Squadron is my Spirit Animal…

21. Rex Anger says:

Team Zeppelin checking in.
    Yes, yes…zeppelin’s are the way of the future.

I knew it!
    Vested interests!
    A shill for Big Airship!

A pack of reprehensible Colonel Blimps…

22. bespoke says:

Ok, Bob, people are sick of me handing you your arse.

Not all of us Mater. There are more recurring self-absorbed themes hear that are way more trivial.

23. Zulu Kilo Two Alpha says:

Ok, Bob, people are sick of me handing you your arse.

Your achievements on that front are appreciated, Mater.

24. Ƶĩppʯ (ȊꞪꞨV) says:

aliexpress now often has a ship from australia option, usually the min cost is $10 or a ship from china option usually free. The government can start addressing this abuse of the postal system by charging chinese originating goods a min carriage fee.

we have totally fucked ourselves and the only way out is going to be annihilation of the cccp and we are not talking politics but other means.

Need to start preparing for this eventuality. the chinese people are jellyfish and have no spine to deal with the communists.

25. H B Bear says:

LL = thanks. I don’t think we can afford to have a road surface front break out this morning. They do use concrete for runways if that helps.

26. Struth says:

I gave you enough calculations for you to know trucks pay way over what they need to pay for any road damage caused.
    Axle load costs depend on types of suspension, spread of axle and position, what mass management system you want to pay for, etc etc etc.
    It would just fly over your head, as all the other stuff has, while you keep making a fool of yourself asking questions you’ve already been supplied the answer.
    Surely you have to get your cardi on, stick your flag on your scooter, and go down your Geelong housing commission street to the Liberal party meeting , where they’ll all be waiting with scones and cream.

27. Rex Anger says:

Ok, Bob, people are sick of me handing you your arse.

Agreed.

28. H B Bear says:

Spoken like someone who would not replace the knob on their Miata.

29. Struth says:

And in comes choo choo himself.

30. Rex Anger says:

Incorrect Stroopwafel.

You’re pissed nobody is agreeing with your chief conceit- Being that you were taxed out of existence as a truck driver to no avail, while everything that competed against you got a free ride.

There is no arguing reality against your wounded ego…

31. H B Bear says:

Agreed

You too.

32. Dave O’Marybrook:

Sounds like Sweden.
    They switched from left-carriageway roads to yankee-euro right on a quiet Tuesday in ’73, with locals drafted in to paint lines and shift signs, and volunteer traffic wardens at busier intersections for the next week.

Nah. I remember the Sweden thing being roads etc, I saw a video where they changed lanes of traffic on the day.
    This one I remember was about train tracks and the organisation that needed to be put in place. One of the US states keeps coming to mind.
    I was just really impressed with the level of co ordination needed.

33. Struth says:

Oh, we are glazing right over the subsidy bit, choo choo?

34. Rex Anger says:

Spoken like someone who would not replace the knob on their Miata.

Only because he’d never ben caught dead owning one in the forst place, Bear. 😉

35. Struth says:

You told us all you would be silent if it could be shown that the government subsidised the rail.
    Man of your word I see?

36. Rex Anger says:

Oh, we are glazing right over the subsidy bit, choo choo?

Not in the slightest. Read the following again. I will emphasise the key points so a even a fragile biscuit like yourself gets it:

There is no arguing reality against your wounded ego…

37. H B Bear says:

Struth didn’t make any money.
    Struth paid tax.
    It is the government’s fault.
    quod erat demonstrandum

38. JC says:

Zulu Kilo Two Alpha says:
    May 4, 2021 at 9:29 am
    Ok, Bob, people are sick of me handing you your arse.

Your achievements on that front are appreciated, Mater.

Mater, do you feel warm and fuzzy now he’s sent you off to the front line to do the work he scared to do? It’s great receiving complements from the biggest damned coward to ever darken the door of this blog. What a Canute.

39. Struth says:

You better scroll up soldier.
    It’s only the Frank club here who’ve got their knickers in a twist.
    See the poor bastards got right in behind you thinking you knew what you were talking about, and you let them down.
    Now they’ve turned all socialist in their argument for rail and are contradicting everything they ever said they stood for.
    And although funny to watch and to push buttons, you really do owe them an apology.

40. Rex Anger says:

Man of your word I see?

No. I said you prove your conceit.

You did not, and screamed and ran away.

You still have not.

Tel prompted a discussion about funding for the infrastructure, not the Rail Operators themselves (i.e. your conceit that trains get all the help, while you didn’t). But given the exponentially higher amount of money the same governments put into their road systems, it means nothing.

Road users and rail users alike operate on surfaces often paid into by governments.

No subsidies.

41. calli says:

Zeppelins are no good. They can’t ship heavy weights. Take lead for instance. Would never get off the ground, even with a stair lift.

My preference is for sky hooks at useful intervals.

42. Rex Anger says:

You better scroll up soldier.

I did. I provided the summary of your actions earlier:

43. JC says:

Oh I forgot mater. He’s old money too so that ought make you feel prouder. How do I know, he’s told us a few times. In the service he was known as ol’money Rones. An absolute legend who even fought in Bouganville.

44. 1735099 says:

I don’t disagree with this statement, but it is a lie…actually it’s two lies.

What you disagree with is my posting the relevant facts of my father’s service, which are that he volunteered in wartime to fight in Australian mandated territory.
    The contrast between that situation and mine (where I was conscripted to fight on foreign soil in peacetime) is what sticks in your craw.
    So you seek to distract by pointing out irrelevant inaccuracies in the dates.
    Those dates have no bearing on the circumstances of his service, or mine.
    You’ll need to do better than that to have any credibility at all.

45. Rex Anger says:

I also liked the conceited ambit that if we don’t pay for road freight transport exclusively, the roads will all collapse and people will die.

That was amusing.

I didn’t prompt you to write that, Struth.

That was your flailing entirely.

46. Leigh Lowe says:

Struth says:

May 4, 2021 at 9:30 am

A series of numbers interspersed with a word salad of bombastic verbage is not calculations.
    Or it wasn’t when I did it at university.
    Come on, break out the calculator and get to it, lest we start to suspect you are making stuff up.

47. RobK says:

How much more damage is done to a roadway by a 60 tonne truck vs a 2 tonne car?
    It is a cubed function of axle weight.

48. Rex Anger says:

peacetime

What peacetime, Collaborator Bob?

Did your co-ideologists tell you that?

49. H B Bear says:

It is a cubed function of axle weight.

That is not helpful.

50. Leigh Lowe says:

H B Bear says:

May 4, 2021 at 9:37 am

Struth didn’t make any money.
    Struth paid tax.
    It is the government’s fault.
    quod erat demonstrandum

Are you suggesting St Ruth is an enthusiastic hobbyist playing in the Big Kid’s business world?

51. Struth says:

I went nowhere, as a matter of fact you just turned up.

Tel prompted a discussion about funding for the infrastructure,

Are you a politician also?
    He showed you quite clearly they are subsidised, that they received subsidies, and how much.

“prompted a discussion”
    FFS
    I’ll give you one thing, your’re good a dribbling shit.

You stood on your pulpit and exclaimed to all and sundry the government owned infrastructure of the rail is not subsidised.
    Tel went looking and made you look like the goose you are.
    So how about a bit of silence?
    There’s enough bullshit being dribbled around here by the other anti truck, socialist rail enthusiasts to go around.

52. Rex Anger says:

Was ‘muh peeztiem’ the conceit the Fellow Travellers in Australia were using in the 60s to try and do a ‘Hands Off Indonesia’ while Sukarno and co. were trying a Communist Revolution on for size, Collaborator Bob?

Ditto as North Vietnam chose to expand its influence by invading the South?

How about Cambodia and Laos?

Oh, that’s right-.The Comrades told you that was a myth as well…

53. Leigh Lowe says:

It is a cubed function of axle weight.

Cubed you say?
    So it isn’t a linear proportional relationship.
    Now we are getting somewhere.

54. Struth says:

This is what you call a head explosion when you’ve just fucked yourself right up.

55. Miltonf says:

Just more hysterical insults

56. H B Bear says:

Try it but leave the Waylon Jennings cassette on.

57. feelthebern says:

Zeppelins are no good. They can’t ship heavy weights.

Not with that attitude they won’t.
    I believe zeppelin travel is the key to flat earth theory.
    All hail Nurgle.

58. Snoopy says:

The answer is quite obvious. A rail line down every street.

59. Rex Anger says:

Tel went looking and made you look like the goose you are.
    So how about a bit of silence?

No Stroopwafel, you have moved the goalposts.

Your conceit is (and remains) that train operators are paid to use the tracks they run on

We are not.

What the Government does to fund its building and maintenance projects administered through an ostensibly private company has nothing to do with running on them.

Same governments paid for the roads you wrecked and constantly bitched and moaned about when you were behind the wheel. Before you got butthurt at the low-trust environment the industry now is because of all the cowboys and fatalities, of course.

And if the best you can do in reply is to shift the goalposts, then call me anti-truck and a Communist, you really are as contemptible as Cats have declared you to be…

60. Struth:

The money never goes to the roads, the roads aren’t built or maintain properly and people die.

You’re right there, Struth.
    The road between Longreach and Barcy was rebuilt about five years ago and it started breaking up within 3 years.
    Now this was brand new road, not just regraded and a new coat of licorice and gravel topping. It cost mega frigging millions, and it still being patched up.
    They can talk about building standards and black soils till Browns cows come home, but it isn’t good value for money.
    Where is the money going?

61. Rex Anger says:

Good to see that your recognise your symptoms, Struth.

62. Struth says:

Unless you are a customer of road freight, you’re not paying for it, you fucking goose.
    But the subsidies going to rail would go someway towards the roads all these clowns berating trucks want to use themselves.
    They want their cars on those roads, and people are dying.
    Fact.
    How much better and safer would those roads be if they weren’t about to fork out for an non viable dickhead inland rail corridor and very fast train?

63. H B Bear says:

No, rather why you might rather deal with Fox or Toll and Baboo the iceman. Unless you are on the side of the Monash.

64. Rex Anger says:

Really?

I don’t pay for freight charges, etc. in every item I eat, drink, use, refuel, etc.?

Wow, Struth. That went clean off the deep end.

Are you really sure you want to keep at this?

65. feelthebern says:

The answer is quite obvious. A rail line down every street.

This.
    This is why I pushed you.
    This is Tuesday Train day thinking.
    Look what we can achieve when we work together.

66. feelthebern says:

PS, all hail Nurgle.

67. H B Bear says:

I suspect today might be the last of the train v truck wars. Sit tight ‘Nam fans.

68. Rex Anger says:

They want their cars on those roads, and people are dying.
    Fact.

Errr… Sack a bunch of Health and Education and welfare bureaucrats, tighten the welfare payments and criteria and you might find a lot of your poor, lost excise and rego charges, Stroopwafel.

Crying about one competitor because you think they get all the help you didn’t merely makes you look foolish.

69. egg_ says:

the surrender of Singapore

(Lightly defended) rice nation vs rice nation.

The tale of the Pacific.

70. H B Bear says:

The answer is quite obvious. A rail line down every street.

Leave trams out of it. We all agree Melbournibad is fucked.

71. Infidel Tiger says:

Train Tracks to the Premises.

Every home to be connected to high speed train.

72. Struth says:

We are not.

No, no sunshine.
    Don’t you go making things up to get out of it.

I said they are subsidised.
    Do you remember me using the term “user pays”
    Well in rail’s instance, unlike trucks, all taxpayers pay .
    It’s called a subsidy.
    Straight forward subsidy.
    The government owned tracks would go broke without subsidies, because , obviously, they aren’t charging your companies enough for their upkeep.
    You’re getting a cheap ride, so to speak, and then come on here dribbling shit about the price of freight on it.
    FMD.

73. Roger says:

Is anyone keeping score?

74. Leigh Lowe says:

Try it but leave the Waylon Jennings cassette on.

Which brings me to something I need help with.
    I am trying to write a hard-drivin’ C&W truckin’ song for my upcoming gig at the Mount Gambler truck show.
    Can someone think of something that rhymes with “biometric monitoring”?

75. Bruce of Newcastle says:

The answer is quite obvious. A rail line down every street.

No, no, coolie rickshaws pulled by white people.
    Saves a step and goes straight to the inevitable.

76. Struth says:

I think you need to scroll back angry rex, your arguments have been flattened and debunked hours ago.
    No good coming in here chucking a temper tantrum because you’ve been caught out.
    Go and have a bex and a lie down, while you scroll back and learn.

77. H B Bear says:

Where is the money going?

Mini croissants and diversity workshops.

78. Leigh Lowe says:

79. H B Bear says:

Can someone think of something that rhymes with “biometric monitoring”?

Finally something to sink your teeth into.

80. Struth says:

Road transport is not subsidised.
    Rail freight is.
    Until that changes you can’t talk about freight rates and efficiency, and which one is better without right wingers thinking you’re a sandwich short of a picnic.

81. Snoopy says:

No, no, coolie rickshaws pulled by white people.

Those bamboo poles with a basket at each end thingies would be better still. Zero axle weight.

82. Leigh Lowe says:

St Ruth.
    Why are you here losing arguments when you could be out on the open road, playing Charlie Pride on the eight-track and saving us from Communism?

83. Infidel Tiger says:

Melinda Gates must have seen the Epstein Island tapes.

84. Struth says:

Pointing your idiocy in bragging about subsidised freight rates is fun.
    Again, I agree with the above statement.
    We should sack a heap of them.
    But you should get to keep your subsidised job, I take it?

85. calli says:

Skateboards.

Big ones.

Solar powered.

86. Leigh Lowe says:

🎶Six days on the road and 🎵Ima gonna make it home tonight 🎶(biometric monitor permitting).🎶

87. feelthebern says:

Melinda Gates must have seen the Epstein Island tapes.

Seeing Bill getting pegged must have been a bridge too far.

88. H B Bear says:

Is anyone keeping score?

Do we even allow a TKO on the Cat? That is the equivalent of Miss Congeniality.

89. feelthebern says:

Why not a triple tandem?
    Worked for the Goodies.

90. H B Bear says:

Is it available on sheet music for banjo?

91. calli says:

They foresaw flip phones, floppy disks, voice activation, virtual reality…

How about some work on anti-gravs and transporter beams?

Make it so!

92. bespoke says:

Road transport is not subsidised.

Sure the welfare the tire fitter gets or government contracts going haulage companies don’t count. Right!

Like I said no high ground to be had.

93. Infidel Tiger says:

Does biometric monitoring prevent drivers wanking on those lonely stretches of road?

The industry will be destroyed.

94. Struth says:

Why are you here losing arguments

Frank, saying it doesn’t make it so.
    You really are picking up a lot of commo/socialist traits lately.

One solo old hick, as you perceive me, has just demolished you and your mates here.
    And the thing was, it was easy, and fun.

Although I did have a little help from Tel and a few others.
    It was fun, but I must bid you oo roo
    My work here is done.
    The lurkers and the other cats with common sense, can make up their minds who won.
    I think you know underneath, Frank.

95. Shy Ted says:

The best roads in Oz are those in and out of mine sites. They need to be, carrying all those heavily-laden tr..tr… (not trains). Might not get much use in the grand scheme of things but you can’t have anything but the best for such heavy vehicle use. Mine made and paid, gummint ones wouldn’t last 5 mins. That’s what the fuel rebate is for.
    If you look at the payments for our roads it’s a union-business and union monopoly. Poorly designed and made so there’s lots of repeat business. On purpose.
    Fun game for today. Look at the label something you bought at the supermarket. How did it get from there to Colesworths? If the answer doesn’t rhyme with a naughty word, try again. 3 days of no trucks and the shelves would be empty.
    The only saving grace is that the new curriculum is going to teach kids how to be hunter-gatherers and self sufficient. If you continue to rely on the old technology of an integrated supply chain rather than getting with the vibe of traditional knowledge your future is uncertain. A return to a traditional lifestyle is the only thing that can guarantee a known future.

96. Rex Anger says:

Pointing your idiocy in bragging about subsidised freight rates is fun.

Wat?

97. Struth says:

Straws are well clutched and the tears flow.

98. Top Ender says:

Colosseum floor offers a Crowe’s eye view
    TOM KINGTON

The Colosseum in Rome is about to get its floor back after 1500 years, allowing visitors to stand on the spot where thousands of gladiators met a gory death.

The new ›15m ($23m) floor will feature revolving wooden slats that retract along runners, so that the arena can once again host events without permanently covering its ancient foundations.

The floor has been designed by Italian architects who beat 10 rival applicants in a competition to give the site a usable but removable option. “It’s very clever and I am very satisfied; this will give an idea exactly how the Colosseum once was,” said Alfonsina Russo, the site director, as the winner was announced on Sunday, local time.

After entertaining Romans for centuries with contests between gladiators and wild animals, the curtain came down at the Colosseum at the end of the 5th century AD as the empire collapsed. Soon the wooden arena floor vanished and earth began to fill the basement rooms where the animals were once kept. That earth floor was slowly dug out at the end of the 19th century, meaning modern visitors looking down from the tiered seating areas into the basement struggled to imagine where the fighting took place.

To fix that, Italy’s culture ministry asked architects to come up with a new floor to cover the 3000sq m space that would allow visitors to enter the arena while protecting the fragile remains beneath from the elements.

The solution supplied by the firm Milan Ingegneria involves a floor made of wooden slats which can be turned 90 degrees to a vertical position and then retracted along runners like a Venetian blind, opening apertures. The runners will be positioned on top of the walls of the basement rooms below, while the floor — due to be ready by 2023 — will replace a small section of fixed arena floor which was installed in the 1990s.

“The new project will be completely reversible — if in 30, 50 or 100 years there is the need or the desire to remove it, the monument can be returned to exactly how it is today,” said Massimiliano Milan, the chief architect.

To avoid the build-up of humidity or heat in the basement, which is due to open to the public, 24 ventilators will be able to change the air in the space every 30 minutes while it is covered.

“The Colosseum was the only ancient arena to have an entirely wooden floor, which allowed the use of lifts and 60 trapdoors to introduce scenery, men and animals into the shows from the basement, and the new floor will allow the same effect,” said Ms Russo.

Culture Minister Dario Franceschini ruled out gladiator shows, saying the new floor could be used for “high-culture” events. The point, he said, was to get visitors to see the site from the gladiator’s viewpoint: “Denying them the view of the Colosseum from the centre makes no sense.”

THE TIMES

99. Dot says:

How about some work on anti-gravs and transporter beams?

Make it so!

There is no shit research on these right now, google it…

Sonic tractor beams work already, electromagnetic ones are still being tinkered with.

PS

Sinclair, be a pal and let me post as Dr Frank Gilroy, M. D.

100. Diogenes says:

Diogenes, didn’t you read about the ‘just in time’ part?

Yes I did .
    Why would they need to store more? Just more in transit, 1 on hand, 2 on the train (as opposed to 1 on the truck), 1 on the docks.

101. Dot says:

Hail Nurgle?

Hail Marisa Kirisame! Probably less of a failure than Tzeench, too.

102. Bruce of Newcastle says:

Why not a triple tandem?
    Worked for the Goodies.

That’s the express bike lane. You have to have two or more passengers.
    Single riders must use the ordinary bike lanes.
    Btw Kerryn Phelps has pulled out of her attempt to knock off Clover.
    Bike lanes 4ever!

Kerryn Phelps pulls out of Sydney lord mayor race (3 May)

The independent councillor launched a bid to dethrone Sydney Lord Mayor Clover Moore in February, saying the city’s leadership had “grown stale” after 17 years.

But late on Sunday, the former Australian Medical Association chief announced she would not be nominating to run at the September council election.

103. mindfree says:

test

104. H B Bear says:

You really are picking up a lot of commo/socialist traits lately.

I think I saw LL coming out of a Liberal Party meeting once. I’m not sure. It was dark and my Covid mask had fogged up my glasses.

105. Tom says:

The worldly experts from places like Geelong.
    I mean it’s not the arse end of the world down that way

It IS the arse end, Struth. I live 30 kms away on the coast and it’s way too close. Geelong is just a road block on the way to Melbourne – which I also don’t visit except to drop in periodically on my colleague areff out on Melbourne’s western coastline.

106. Dot says:

Creso Pharma (CPH) had some good news the other day.

You heard it first here at the Cat (not really).

Where’s our reactionary tadpole, Apu Apustaja?

107. egg_ says:

The Facebookers allege Andrews is fighting a rape charge in court, under the radar naturally, for a dalliance with one of Lindsay Fox’s grand-daughters aged 17.

In return Andrews is said to be prosecuting his assailants for bashing him senseless over the alleged rape.

/Daily badly burned fruit cake news

Mildly burned is du jour?

108. Snoopy says:

Cooktown is home to the West Coast Hotel.

109. egg_ says:

Anything to do with cardigans?

The Shorten School of Deportment?

110. How about we just add a wheel hub with a flange to let the trucks use the railways?
    OK – I’m out of ideas.

111. Rex Anger says:

Do you remember me using the term “user pays”

Yes. I do.

And your utter refusal to even countenance that somebody else might have done the same thing, and somehow put you off your pedestal.

Changing the goalposts to crow about how I allegedly ‘bragged’ about freight rates (and how I shouldn’t because I allegedly get all the handups you didn’t) is disingenous and stupid.

Let me ask you this, Stroopwafel: In your time as a heavy haul truck driver, how many taxpayer-funded highways, ratepayer-funded country and local roads and streets did you drive down?

All of them?

How many were solely privately funded? And how many tantrums did you throw in response and how many more kilometres of tax- and ratepayer-funded roads did you drive down instead to avoid them?

If we look at that, ermagerd Stroopwafel, we have a level playing field.

If you were (and it seems you are) arguing at me from the late 1970s and the wilderness days of late-era Government run NSW PTC, VicRail, Westrail or ANR you might have something to say.

But we aren’t. This is 2021, where the only difference between trucking and rail companies on equally Open Access networks (Albeit with significantly higher regulator burdens on the rail side) is the trucks have a bigger road network to run on.

You are a stooge with an ego, and you haven’t proven a single thing to support your conceit that I am a beneficiary of governmental largesse, where you as the poor, downtrodden, taxpaying everyman got nothing but extortionate costs.

112. bespoke says:

Only because he’d never ben caught dead owning one in the forst place, Bear. 😉

Indeed I’m not a mentally disturbed ex ‘education professional’. 😎

113. Rex Anger says:

@ Winston- The precursors to Pacific National experimented with RoadRailers in the late 90s on the Adelaide-Perth leg.

They were too fragile and had insufficient braking power, so were abandoned.

114. egg_ says:

Port Botany’s automation project accelerates with ARMG delivery

Automated ship-to-rail IIRC.

Melbourne still using bastard boys?

/Keeping swarthies in jerbs

115. egg_ says:

Leigh Lowe says:
    May 4, 2021 at 10:04 am

Lowe Browe’s lone brain cell?

/Amoeba

116. Rex Anger says:

Indeed I’m not a mentally disturbed ex ‘education professional’. 😎

Probably also grateful you aren’t an emotionally fragile ex-truck driver with chips on all available shoulders and a burning hatred of everyone who transports things who isn’t him…

117. Roger says:

The Communist shaping Britain’s covid response.

Note she’s neither an epidemiologist nor a virologist.

She specialises in changing human behaviour.

118. Bruce of Newcastle says:

Port Botany’s automation project accelerates with ARMG delivery

Haha, Patrick wins!

119. egg_ says:

How are those calculations going St Ruth?
    Dynamic loadings by weight by axle.
    B-double vs Prius.
    Let me know if you need any help working tye calculator.

Siemens NX

120. Rex Anger says:

And to think that the last 24hrs’ of free entertainment for Cats was all prompted by Struth being offended by vigilance monitoring kit and a speed limiter in a late-model truck, and went off his tits at a guy whose locomotives have featured automated vigilance monitoring as standard equipment for over 70 years…. 🤔

121. Leigh Lowe says:

Infidel Tiger says:

May 4, 2021 at 10:13 am

The industry will be destroyed.

Look, I tried to explain this to St Ruth yesterday.
    There are no monitors in the sleeper cab and as long as he keeps the curtain closed he should be OK.
    I would hate to see a video surface on the net of someone jerking in a Kenworth to a Waylon Jennings song.

122. egg_ says:

it isn’t a linear proportional relationship.

Exponentials like virus growth rates confound Accountants’ adding machines.

/Flatten the curve

Even if the area beneath it is the same.

123. Leigh Lowe says:

Does anyone want to talk “hybrids”?
    Road trains.
    Are they trucks?
    Are they trains?
    Discuss.

124. bespoke says:

Bundy must be on a banana run.

125. Rex Anger says:

They are a very large and very useful form of long-haul truck, and an absolute menace to get stuck behind.

Best observed from ahead, or passing at a safe distance

126. Rex Anger says:

The industry will be destroyed.

Only if you look down.

Prop the visual reference up against the windscreen and keep your eyes in the general direction of the road, and you should be OK.

Ditto all those new cars with the whole wheel-shaker and alarm function if you look at your speedo, radio or misbehaving kids in the back seat for anything longer than 0.0000000001 seconds…

127. Knuckle Dragger says:

Test

128. Arky says:

Well done boys.
    You managed to turn a conversation about the direction of monitoring on roads and workplaces into a personal stupid irrelevant slanging match.
    It’s not as if there aren’t real concerns there, from piss tests to booze buses to the full extent of CCP facial recognition in the streets.
    Where you want to draw the line and what the underlying principles are, or even how far you feel comfortable with some of the stuff coming down the line.
    But you all got to throw some zingers at each other so fucking good on you.

129. mh says:

Dr Naomi Wolf
    @naomirwolf
    15m
    Bill and Melinda Gates: “We ask for space and privacy for our family as we begin to navigate this new life.” Can our families also have space and privacy from both of you?

Haha. Yes, the maniac who wants to run the world, control global food supplies, monopolise global health, control what we say and read.
    That same guy asks for privacy.
    Fuck off, Bill.

130. Bar Beach Swimmer says:

Elizabeth (Lizzie) Beare says:
    May 3, 2021 at 8:36 pm

Best wishes that all is well, Lizzie.
    Kind regards,
    BBS

131. m0nty says:

Time for a post-vax nap.

132. areff says:

Ah, Tom. I owe you a visit in your coastal fastness for that game of Swan island golf we keep talking about.

133. Rorschach says:

My preference is for sky hooks at useful intervals.

We can fly if you have the power of a space elevator

🙂

134. Terry Pedersen says:

From Mater Mouth at 9.23 am:

Ok, Bob, people are sick of me

100% Correct. Everything that followed was superfluous, and incorrect.

135. Arky says:

The standard among most people as to what is acceptable seems to be whatever is the common practice in their own industry that they are now used to.
    Well if that’s the standard then what I was used to in army is this:
    Get injected with a bunch of shit no one is telling you what it is, a medical where you move your ballsack to the side, routine drug testing and having your online interactions monitored by random spooks.
    So think about whether a standard based on what you’ve become accustomed to at work is the right argument. Unless you want to get injected with God knows what and have your scrotum and piss inspected regularly.

136. Ƶĩppʯ (ȊꞪꞨV) says:

The answer is quite obvious. A rail line down every street.

they working on something better, fully gov controlled autonomous cars

137. H B Bear says:

Haha, Patrick wins!

Once they deployed Rottweilers it was just a matter of time. Don’t know what happened in WWII.

138. Mater says:

100% Correct. Everything that followed was superfluous, and incorrect.

Potentially.

139. egg_ says:

Bundy must be on a banana run.

Amlost as ctrpiyc as uasaul.

140. Leigh Lowe says:

Rex Anger says:

May 4, 2021 at 10:53 am

Indeed.
    It seems basic accountability and honest feedback on bad driving habits or signs of fatigue were the main issues.

141. Bruce of Newcastle says:

MH – You shouldn’t talk about Naomi like that, she’s a wymminse.
    Although she’s being red-pilled quite a lot lately.
    Starting from so far left though she’ll need a trainload of them.

142. H B Bear says:

100% Correct. Everything that followed was superfluous, and incorrect.

Take it from Groogs.

143. Leigh Lowe says:

Bar Beach Swimmer says:

May 4, 2021 at 11:06 am

Elizabeth (Lizzie) Beare says:
    May 3, 2021 at 8:36 pm

Best wishes that all is well, Lizzie.
    Kind regards,
    BBS

Ditto.
    That wait between tests/biopsies and results is excruciating.
    Not as bad as a truck vs train stoush, obviously.
    But pretty bad.

144. dover_beach says:

Queenscliff is a beautiful part of Port Phillip. Had no idea there was a course on Swan Island though. Tom, what is the Shire office like there, rabid Lefties?

145. H B Bear says:

Bundy must be on a banana run.

You don’t think they come from the factory bent like that?

146. Bar Beach Swimmer says:

I suppose it’s a tweaking of the language: flaying climate realists seems to have great appeal among EU Technocrats.

147. Arky says:

In the name of “safety” we are building out a world of constant surveillance, the likes of which communist regimes of the past could only dream.
    The effects will be less freedom, a feeling of being trapped, suicides and the vastly increased potential for it all to be horribly abused by future communist governments.

148. H B Bear says:

Is it too late to get $20 on trains?

149. Mother Lode says:

That was related to the fact that the Federal government was paying for the repairs, not the state. The condition was they would restore the roads to the design before the floods. Any changes would be completely out of state pockets.

So they did not make the roads better.

150. Mater says:

100% Correct. Everything that followed was superfluous, and incorrect.

I’m not surprised you defend Bob, Grigs. You share a similar misunderstanding of what integrity means:

151. Dr Faustus says:

In Be Careful What You Wish For news:

Australians overwhelmingly support mandatory COVID-19 vaccine passports

Nationally, 70% of adults agree all large venues, like stadiums and concert halls, should also require a vaccine passport, with the same amount believing the vaccine passport system would be widely used by the end of the year.

Views were split, however, on the use of mandatory vaccine passports at all shops, restaurants and offices, with just over half (54.5%) of Australians in agreement.

National Aúsweiss.
    Coming to you before the next election.

152. Bruce of Newcastle says:

Singapore’s odd meat eating habits: A wealthy society reverts back to poor man’s protein?

I suspect the guys of the 8th Division, used to bully beef and biscuits, might also have reduced their protein intake once they encountered yummy Cantonese-style cooking in Singapore. Would’ve been an interesting clash of civilizations.

153. H B Bear says:

Time for a post-vax nap.

I used to have a problem with clinical trials. But won’t lose any sleep over this one.

Have you fixed that reverse pivot yet? Or at least stopped taking photos of it. That IS offensive.

154. Leigh Lowe says:

Arky says:

May 4, 2021 at 11:06 am

Well done boys.

Who did that?
    Name names.

155. Ƶĩppʯ (ȊꞪꞨV) says:

inevitable

One of the nation’s top military commanders told his troops that Beijing is already engaged in “grey zone” warfare against Australia and they must plan for the high likelihood this may spill over into actual conflict in the future.

156. egg_ says:

That’s the best they could muster?

157. Arky says:

Part of being human is free will.
    That bargain between God and man whereby the world contains some truly hideous things, but we are free to live our lives.
    The totalitarian desire to rid the world of danger is not only one that is impossible and that must end in terror, but goes against the fundamental design parameters God imbued this world: if he wanted safe and happy he could have made a world of automatons. He did not. He did not because such a world would be undesirable.
    You accept the horror and the ugliness, because the very good cannot exist in a world set up any other way.

158. Leigh Lowe says:

H B Bear says:

May 4, 2021 at 11:27 am

Is it too late to get $20 on trains?

And train bets are subsidised.
    To get a $20 bet on you only have to pay $3.26.

159. egg_ says:

I blame Queenssslanders.

/Sarc

160. H B Bear says:

Australians overwhelmingly support mandatory COVID-19 vaccine passports

We’re the Good Germans.

161. egg_ says:

Time for a post-vax nap.

Your last?

162. Bruce of Newcastle says:

Australians overwhelmingly support mandatory COVID-19 vaccine passports

You gotta despair. Have they never heard of East Germany?

163. H B Bear says:

I blame Queenssslanders.

Who moved from Victoriastan and didn’t change their number plates.

164. feelthebern says:

Politicians & public servants can go first.

165. Leigh Lowe says:

Actually the biometric monitoring argument might have shed a bit of light instead of heat.
    Q1 : “Does biometric monitoring detect fatigue or dangerous behaviour?” Yep. Tested and priven over two decades.
    Q2 : “Can biometric monitoring provide useful feedback to drivers?” Absolutely. It should just be seen as part of a suite of instrumentation in a modern vehicle.
    Q3 : “Should the biometric monitoring be used to intervene in vehicle control inputs? If so, to what extent?” This is where the debate might be held. Oh, and “seat shakers” are not an intervention in vehicle controls.

166. Arky says:

Totalitarians attempt at all times to turn humans into interchangeable automatons. It is precisely this that is against God and why they are atheists.
    The perfect requires no free will. It requires surveillance and indoctrination.
    And because this world was never set up to be perfected, it ultimately requires lies, propaganda and a twisting of minds.

167. calli says:

Faustus’ link:

Two in three adults surveyed globally say vaccine passports should be required to access large public venues and as many expect they will be widely used in their country. Agreement levels are highest in India, Malaysia and Chile (82% respectively). However, only half (55%) worldwide agree vaccine passports should be required for shops, restaurants and offices, with lowest support in Russia (20%), Poland (36%) and the US (37%).

Now, that’s very interesting. Look who’s all for it and who’s against.

The key Australian findings from the survey are:
    5% agree all travellers entering the country should require a vaccine passport
    5% agree vaccine passports would be effective in making travel and large events safe
    3% agree all large venues should be required to have a vaccine passport
    Just over half (54.5%) agree all shops, restaurants and offices should have them
    Nearly 70% believe the passports will be widely used by the end of the year
    A third of Australians believe the vaccine travel certificate should be in place until at least the end of the year, while 28% said for the next several years
    53% believe only people who have been vaccinated should be allowed to do things that involve large groups like using public transit, flying and attending cultural/sporting events.

Note the low percentages of compliance thinking, and the change in language. It looks like an unwilling populace is resigned to having this shyte foisted on them.

168. Rex Anger says:

And the interventions are where things get dangerous.

For example, a lane departure warning that also correctively steers you back onto a straight line, could well be lethally dangerous when overtaking. Particularly if the manoeuvre is poorly executed or an emergency evasive action.

Similarly, automated braking in response to a predetermined sensor distance to the next vehicle. And so forth.

All these devices are designed and tested with assumptions about road conditions, weather, driver alertness and competence, etc., that are very likely to not be replicated in average driving.

This makes them very hit-and-miss as far as safety is concerned. Where autobraking may prevent you tagging a pedestrian or cyclist one day (or lane departure prevented you from hitting a tree), it may well precipitate something far nastier another time.

I personally would find them too much of a distraction and prefer to have them permanently turned off. Though, the lane departure might see the odd use after a night shift where I start to feel it midway through the drive home.

It requires wisdom in application, as much as skill and competence in driving.

169. Arky says:

Oh, and “seat shakers” are not an intervention in vehicle controls.

I don’t want my car to bong at me when I don’t wear a seatbelt.
    I don’t want it to adjust the power to the drive wheels because it detects a loss of traction. And I don’t want it deciding what I need to look at.
    I don’t want to be surveilled by asio because we let some lunatics in the country, I want them to stop letting lunatics in the country.
    I don’t want the trucks on the road to be under constant surveillance because trucking companies have to employ dropkicks. I want trucking companies to stop employing drop kicks.
    I don’t want to be stopped and breath tested because licensing authorities give any bastard a car license. I don’t want to be piss tested at work because work employs junkies. Stop giving just any bastard a licence and stop giving junkies jobs.
    And when the system fails as all systems must fail, there is the justice system to prosecute those who do wrong. AFTER a crime is committed.
    And yes, this way ensures that the world will continue to have workplace accidents, and car fatalities.
    And that is still better than living as an automaton.

170. Bruce of Newcastle says:

And with everyone else too.

Leaked Documents Reveal Xi Jinping’s Communist Chinese Plan to Control the Internet’s Root (3 May)

Yesterday, The Epoch Times reported on leaked internal Chinese government documents revealing that premier Xi Jinping has “personally directed the communist regime to focus its efforts to control the global Internet, displacing the influential role of the United States.”

Xi’s ultimate aim is for the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) to wield “discourse power” over communications and discussions on the global geopolitical stage by controlling content on the Internet. The CCP’s vision is “using technology to rule the Internet” by achieving total domination over every part of the online ecosystem — including applications and content — and has adopted a posture of simultaneous “attack and defense” by turning its attention towards stifling the seamless flow of information with state censorship, monitoring, and control.

Hence the Huawei bans, and hence Xi’s fury about them. Do not visit China unless you don’t mind being held hostage.

171. Terry Pedersen says:

Zeppelins are no good. They can’t ship heavy weights.

How heavy is needed? Latest airship designs are likely to carry at least 45 Tonnes.

172. candy says:

Sounds like the new USA under Biden, really.

173. Ƶĩppʯ (ȊꞪꞨV) says:

Australians overwhelmingly support mandatory COVID-19 vaccine passports

the sprint to social credit is on

174. Infidel Tiger King says:

The Gates divorce statement is one of the coldest pieces of sociopathic writing I’ve read:

175. Infidel Tiger King says:

Australians overwhelmingly support mandatory COVID-19 vaccine passports

Same polling shows we want zero carbon emissions, but fewer than 2% of air travellers pay for the offsets.

176. Rex Anger says:

Cyberpunk called this in the 1980s, albeit with megacorporations rather than neoFascist kleptocracies…

177. Ƶĩppʯ (ȊꞪꞨV) says:

and hong kong, used to stop over regularly, no more

178. mh says:

Bill Gates describes the vaccine as The Final Solution

179. calli says:

Oh dear. That one flew over a few heads. And there I was thinking that mentioning helicopters straight after sky hooks would be in poor taste.

180. candy says:

Perhaps it is code for Bill Gates has found a young girlfriend?

He must have had a lot of temptations, being so wealthy and someone who is in charge of getting the world’s peoples to lead healthy and productive lives.

Awful skin he has, though.

181. Bruce of Newcastle says:

About as much as a B-Double.
    Huge!

182. Ƶĩppʯ (ȊꞪꞨV) says:

you get that from millenials at publicists

183. feelthebern says:

Bill Gates in da club.

184. Bear Necessities says:

Bill Gates gets ready to uninstall Wife_V1.0.

Get ready to left click Bill.

185. Infidel Tiger King says:

I’m sure Bill Gates is into younger girls. Mainly as human sacrifices though.

186. H B Bear says:

It will make a great Ph D for anybody who finds it in the National Archives – Online Debate in the Early Twenty First Century in the Absence of Perfect Information. We are grateful to the Estate of Professor Sinclair Davidson for their cooperation in the conduct of this research.

187. mh says:

Bill Gates had a closer relationship with Jeffrey Epstein than he admitted, The New York Times reports
    Epstein was involved with Gates personally and with his namesake foundation

188. H B Bear says:

I hope her lawyers give him the Blue Screen of Death.

189. Dr Faustus says:

Note the low percentages of compliance thinking, and the change in language.

Unfortunately the 5%, 5%, 3% appear to be typos.
    The actual survey results show a far more compliant: 86%, 78%, 70%.

190. Speedbox says:

calli says:
    May 4, 2021 at 11:44 am

with lowest support in Russia (20%),

Any Russian over the age of 45 has a strong living memory of life under the old Soviet regime. They would recall the shortages, the indoctrination and perhaps most of all, the threat to privacy and liberty in a totalitarian state.

Even those who are younger would have some idea even though they may not have lived it or can barely remember.

Mostly, Russians now enjoy freedoms that would have been unimaginable only 30 years ago. Time will tell but it will be a supreme irony if Russia becomes a (relative) beacon for freedom as the west imposes more and greater controls and observations on its citizens.

191. H B Bear says:

I’m sure Bill Gates is into younger girls. Mainly as human sacrifices though.

Facebookers say he uses them as pizza topping in place of pineapple.

192. 1735099 says:

I don’t want my car to bong at me when I don’t wear a seatbelt.

So you’re obviously OK with your bits getting spread all over the place when you forget to wear it.

Apparently you’re happy with spearing off into a group of pedestrians when that loss of traction catches you by surprise.

And I don’t want it deciding what I need to look at.

What you need to look at is where you’re directing 1500 kg of metal, plastic, and glass at 100kph. If you stuff that up, you need help wherever you can get it.

Sometimes the lunatics are born in the country.

If said trucking companies paid the drivers what they are worth, they wouldn’t have to employ dropkicks.

The authorities lack the kind of crystal ball that forecasts the future behaviour of licensed drivers and prospective employees.

It’s bit late for that if they’ve killed someone.

But it will ensure that the current fatality rate will continue its downward trend.
    And that is still better than living as an automaton.
    First, you have to live.
    Try that for a while instead of ranting on an anonymous blog.

193. bespoke says:

This is like Jorden saying “clean your room” except without the fame and fortune.😎

194. Farmer Gez says:

I’m going off memory, truck axle load limits and subsequent road wear is based on simulations from Monash University.
    Punch in any parameter you like and you’ll get the science you need.
    Euro axle loading are higher because they build better roads. Axle weights in Australia have little to do with safety limits for the engineering of the truck.

195. Speedbox says:

Ƶĩppʯ (ȊꞪꞨV) says:
    May 4, 2021 at 11:59 am

and hong kong, used to stop over regularly, no more

I actually think that’s fairly wise. Times are a changin’ and HK is/was such a great city and very convenient….. but the CCP takeover has put a deep chill into my HK intentions. I doubt I will set foot in the territory again.

196. Lysander says:

Hmm trucks, trains, roads, Bob…

Might give the Cat a miss today…

(And for the record, would be great to see a Cat guest post on upcoming China war, where it will be and how it will play out)

197. Rorschach says:

calli says:
    May 4, 2021 at 12:03 pm
    Oh dear. That one flew over a few heads.

I thought it was brilliant. My 11.12am was nowhere near the class of yours of course – but was an attempt at continuing the wit. [You can find a band name for everyhting!]

198. Bear Necessities says:

I hope her lawyers give him the Blue Screen of Death.

I hope her lawyers are as annoying at that damn paper clip!

199. Rex Anger says:

Poor Shirl…

I rmember he turned out to be a pretty decent carpenter for Ch.9’s Our House.

200. Rorschach says:

Shirley you were joking! [now that is in poor taste!]

201. Arky says:

Yes numberwang, by now we well get it. In the balance between freedom and “safety” you’ll cone down on the totalitarian side every time.
    Did you even read the argument I made, or just hear in your brain what you wanted it to be?

202. Bruce of Newcastle says:

Numbers likes Karen cars.

My elderly dad had a ten bagger on the ASX not long ago so he bought himself a new SUV. Was complaining to me last week that it’s a complete Karen.

203. Rex Anger says:

Alright Cats, alright.

I’ve learned my lesson.

Don’t roll my eyes and quip at Struth when he’s being all fragile and butthurt over the fact that the things he got away with in the trucking industry 30-40 years ago are now no longer ko sher

204. egg_ says:

I don’t want my car to bong at me when I don’t wear a seatbelt.

If your dementia’s that bad – you might not know what all the dinging is about?

205. Dot says:

Time for a post-vax nap.

Vale.

206. Farmer Gez says:

There was a bloke once who built better roads in preparation for war. They were seen as a waste of money at the time.
    Infrastructure and production capacity wins wars. We’re so stuffed.

207. Albatross says:

m0nty says:
    May 4, 2021 at 11:07 am
    Time for a post-vax nap.

Nobody cares you fat fucker.

208. Dot says:

Um…

…not all of us are mass murdering nonagenarians.

Idiot.

209. calli says:

Unfortunately the 5%, 5%, 3% appear to be typos.

A report to be trusted.

Plenty of data and no proof readers.

If true, my heart aches for Aussie sheep.

210. egg_ says:

“All my friends are getting buried…”.

211. Bruce of Newcastle says:

Infrastructure and production capacity wins wars. We’re so stuffed.

Yes but what prevents war is ‘a rifle behind every blade of grass’.
    You don’t need nukes, just porcupine spines.
    Like the Swiss worked out.

212. Dot says:

Short of nuclear weapons, fast strike planes and cruise missiles would make mincemeat of a land transport network.

We don’t really know what happens in the next war.

Get a G-Wagon, Land Rover Defender or perhaps a Unimog?

213. Rex Anger says:

“All my friends are getting buried…”.

Can you feel it coming (down) in the air tonight?

#OhLawd

214. Dot says:

You don’t need nukes, just porcupine spines.
    Like the Swiss worked out.

Nukes are cheap though. Both preferred.

215. jo says:

I’m really pissed off with the china poo bear. Had planned to go to Nukus, Uzbekistan to the Museum of Modern Art via the Silk Road Train (not by truck) then on to Russia. Wouldn’t step foot in china ever again. Just like never voting for the SFL’s. I make a conscious effort not to by chink unless I can’t help it.

216. Roger says:

Here is the CCP’s local electronic warfare unit.

217. calli says:

I thought it was brilliant.

*flutters elderly eyelashes*

On bespoke transport, maybe some type of wagon to carry reinforcing rods at high speed?

And then there’s something Elon might be interested in – a flying machine dedicated to a US president. He might even morph it into one for outer space, but the name must change accordingly.

And that’s enough musical nonsense from me. Time to listen to some marvellous Purcell. No nonsense about him.

218. egg_ says:

Plus drone strikes, that many are b1tching about.

219. feelthebern says:

Is the grey zone like the friend zone?

220. bespoke says:

That would be cruel to deny his “lived experience”.

221. Dr Faustus says:

If true, my heart aches for Aussie sheep.

As ‘true’ as a sample of 1000 selected Australians allows.

Unfortunately this factoid will certainly find its way into political thinking and embolden our Leaders and goodthinkers. When something looks like a vote winner it develops a golden crust of credibility.

222. Woolfe says:

I hope you’re adaptable, Dr. Scott. I know Brad is.

Craig MacLachlan acquitted

223. egg_ says:

They foresaw flip phones, floppy disks, voice activation, virtual reality…

Fax machines killed off the Telex after decades, subsequently killed off by email.

224. calli says:

Unfortunately this factoid will certainly find its way into political thinking

Yes. It’s a “Facebookers agree” type of fact, conveniently aligned with what our politicians want to do.

I eagerly await “calls for” whatever the Facebookers agree on.

225. Farmer Gez says:

China has a diverse mix of power generation in preparation for conflict.
    Solar, wind, hydro, nuclear, gas and coal.
    We’re stupid , they’re not.

226. Leigh Lowe says:

Rex at 11:52.
    Yes, that is where I was heading.
    Automatic monitoring systems taking over operation of the vehicle has had some dire consequences in aviation.
    That is where the debate should go, instead of bleating “I don’t like it” and “I’m not used to it”.

227. bespoke says:

Done! 2001 ford wagon.

228. egg_ says:

Craig MacLachlan acquitted

Aunty to rerun The Doctor Blake Mysteries?

229. calli says:

My favourite Purcell. Stick with it until the end. The final chorus is sublime.

230. Dot says:

On that note…those Facebook sleuths have watched one too many Miss Fisher’s Murder Mysteries.

That’s actually nearly the same plot as an episode.

231. egg_ says:

Here is the CCP’s local electronic warfare unit.

IIRC the Japs recently updated their spy satellite control centre, part of the US spy satellite network.

232. Roger says:

Is the grey zone like the friend zone?

More like the unfriended zone.

Talking behind your back.

Egging your house.

Letting down your car tyres.

That sort of thing.

233. calli says:

Miss Fisher? I prefer the Canadian version – Frankie Drake. The “Little Black Dress” involving Coco Chanel was amusung and stylish.

234. calli says:

grey zone

Just a fancy, diplomatic version of cry-bullying.

235. Rex Anger says:

Rex at 11:52.
    Yes, that is where I was heading.

If you’re shoe-horning Stability Augmentation System sensors, software and actuators into your aircraft, you should have started designing its replacement airframe 20 years ago.

You hear me, BOEING?

236. Terry Pedersen says:

About as much as a B-Double.
    Huge!

Huge enough. That roughly equivalent to a B-Double airship doesn’t need a road to be created and maintained for it, can take off and land vertically almost anywhere, and can travel as the crow flies in a straight line to its destination.

237. Dr Faustus says:

Road transport is not subsidised.
    Rail freight is.

The National Transport Commission is now canvassing increasing heavy vehicle charges at the end of the current Covid-driven industry-support freeze.

Something to do with recouping the past five years of under-contribution to the National cost of building/maintaining roads.

Probably just socialist nonsense; but awfully similar to how rail infrastructure is subsidised.

238. Lysander says:

Crowder has set up his table in the US today with sign:

“A Nazi is just a racist communist. Change my mind” 😛

Good on him.

239. Rex Anger says:

And is entirely susceptible to wind speed, weather, cannot exploit altitude and requires more effort to descend (if you want to preserve your lifting gas) than climb.

Also, it’s funny watching a powered balloon’s ground speed fall below an elderly man cycling up a steep.grade.

Go away Grigory. Heavier-than-air has already exceeded 45 tons in lifting capacity.

240. Top Ender says:

Michael Connor over at Quadrant on the new Victorian “Truth Commission” and how it is accepting myth as fact.

241. Dr Faustus says:

Aunty to rerun The Doctor Blake Mysteries?

Don’t.
    Not even in jest.

242. Rorschach says:

Huge enough.

No. Not much at all. Like a 3.5m cube of water. Smaller than most back yard pools.

But on the topic of Zeppelins: The Hindenburg crash anniversary is in two day time [May 6, 1937]

243. Rorschach says:

The Antonov 225 has carried a payload of 250 tons! SpaceX starship will take more than a 100 tons to low earth orbit and come back!

244. Roger says:

Truth is the first casualty of a smoking ceremony.

245. TailgunneR says:

maybe some type of wagon to carry reinforcing rods at high speed?
    I might know a guy…

246. The Barking Toad says:

‘WITH travel restrictions in place, Alice Springs could pose as the ‘new Bali’, according to online travel agency Skyscanner.

Have fun in the surf