The Rudd-Turnbull axis strikes again

From Ace of Spades just now, under the heading, “Top Story”. I think they’re laughing at us.

• Future tense, present tense, what’s the difference?

“Today, approximately 3.5 million premises across Australia can access the NBN Home Ultrafast wholesale speed tier with wholesale download speeds of 500 Mbps to close to 1 Gbps, on demand.”

Oh, really? I’d like to sign up then.

I can’t? No fucking surprise, because it took you bastards twelve fucking years just to wire up suburban Sydney.

I do at least have 80M down and 40M up now, though, which is a hell of an improvement from the 14/2 I had a year ago.

These are the people who saved us from Tony Abbott. What a pair of clowns they were are.

This entry was posted in Australian Story. Bookmark the permalink.

33 Responses to The Rudd-Turnbull axis strikes again

1. Megan says:

NBN at Villa Megan is utter rubbish. Less than half the speeds we had with cable and constant dropouts. Like 6 times in a 30 minute period.
    Once my contract expires I’m switching to mobile broadband. The NBN is flaming unusable. Another great Rudd disaster.

2. Albatross says:

Is Ace an Ozzie?

3. Shy Ted says:

Rudd & Turnbull need striking with axes. FIFY.

4. TBH says:

We’re getting approximately 25/5 (fibre to the premises) but that’s what we pay for. I could get a shitload more if I went wireless, which is the stupidity of the NBN.

5. Roger says:

Which was predicted.

Doubling down on stupidity.

Still, as Maladroit invented the internet we might be forgiven for trusting him.

6. Entropy says:

I can theoretically get up to 1000mbps, but why bother?
    Even on 100mbps and five people videoconferencing, gaming and streaming all at once isn’t taxed.

7. Zyconoclast says:

Don’t the voters get a kick in the groin for voting for these clowns?

Also TA gifted the NBN to Maocolm.

8. C.L. says:

Is Ace an Ozzie?

No. The post was by AoS blogger Pixy Misa.

It’s very irritating when a blogger – in this case, Pixy Misa – doesn’t link to what’s being quoted. I didn’t grasp the timeframe or the relevance of Turnbull and Rudd.

Anyway, here is today’s NBN announcement.

It’s important because the blogged excerpt actually has two footnotes which are hilarious.

9. Jock says:

He forgot the shed load of moola it cost.

10. Albatross says:

C.L. says:
    May 4, 2021 at 7:31 pm
    Is Ace an Ozzie?

No. The post was by AoS blogger Pixy Misa.

Thanks CL. In fact I know he’s not an Ozzie because he’s armed to the teeth. Did check but couldn’t see the attribution.

11. miltonf says:

The turd was Howard’s parting shot

12. Gorilla Dance Party says:

Which was predicted.

I remember exactly that being predicted a decade ago. It was true.

Lets remember the “Building the Education Revolution” with the laptop held up as the exercise book of the future or whatever and then the iPad was released just a couple of years later. If anything, the education system is even worse now. There was also the 2020 Summit which was less productive than the real 2020 was.

Most people would lose their job and reputation for far less.

13. Nob says:

UK private provider City Fibre is charging through fibre network installation like a Boris bus on steroids.

Trenched the cables along the street pavements and made junctions at every household entrance at a speed that would have the council layabouts heads spinning. (They’d still be putting down cones and arguing over who holds the Stop/Go signs)

Then we got a deal through Vodafone for connection to our premises that was cheaper than our existing broadband as well as way better.

They made a date, but then called us when they had a cancellation and offered to come early.

Why can’t Australia do this kind of thing?

14. Gary says:

I just use optus 4g wireless. I get between 100 and 200 Mbps.

Way quicker and cheaper than nbn and not even 5g.

15. Professor FredLenin says:

Two incopetent little men trying to find someone to blame for their lack of ability , ,happens a lot “,it wasnt my fault he made me do it ” .

16. H B Bear says:

Not just any laptop – one you would see during roadside pick-up and KRudd grinning like the moron he is.

17. Leo G says:

I’m paying for 50/20 Mbps with a 25/5 speed tier floor.
    This time of night I rarely get better than 4/18. At the moment the Telstra speed test indicates 2.9 Mbps down/ 17.7 Mbps up.

18. Bruce of Newcastle says:

Rudd and Turnbull are still trying to save us all from something which isn’t happening. It’d be funny except for the damage they are doing to the country.

19. jo says:

If I have my chuggy old laptop wired (instead of wifi) to the modem I get 1Gbps.

20. Nob says:

In provincial UK right now I’m getting 75/80 on a wee tablet on the home WiFi.
    That’s with broadband at the cheapest Vodafone rate.

The fibre cables everywhere also connect to the 5G towers so mobile speeds are good too.

21. FlyingPigs says:

Anyway, here is today’s NBN announcement.

timed out when I tried to access.

22. Fair Shake says:

It’s only money people, we have a whacking big printer from where that came from.

23. Forester says:

Nob says at 8:06 pm
    “Got the cables laid under the front fence and the front garden, drilled through the wall, sealed, connected and running inside the house and effed of, all within 1.5hrs.

Why can’t Australia do this kind of thing?”

I’m in a NSW marginal rural electorate, we had the fibre run down under our nature strip in our street in 2016, (I think they had problems and had to replace some cable elsewhere), bored under my front lawn in June 2017, but wasn’t connected until July 2017.

I had a local cable TV company prepare the house, ran a conduit to the back of the house with a string in it for the NBN fibre, and 4 ethernet cables and wall plates to other parts of the house. (I didn’t want to compete for wifi with my kids.)

They came to connect us up one morning, my teenager was home, pointed them to the conduit and were in and out in 20 mins. I already had my new iiNet modem, my teenager had it all connected up by the time I got home. It’s been solid 24/7 since installation apart from a few days it’s gone down for a morning for scheduled maintenance. I suspect that only half my street actually own computers.

Like others, we don’t need more than the 50 plan at present, I did look it up and for $9k per year on a 3 year plan I can get gigabit equivalent. I’d get that if I had a contract for work requiring it.

But it’s all academic now, these days you just rent a server in the data centre close to the data for as long as you need it. You could do that from my back verandah or a laptop at my riverside cafe, it would cost me lunch and a few coffees.

I still can’t believe we blew $60 billion on the back of a napkin in Rudd’s plane on a promise from Mr ‘Red Underpants’ Conroy. I’d be embarrassed to go out in public.

24. Nob says:

Forester says:
    May 5, 2021 at 7:26 am

OK.

Mine is basic plan too, I forget what they call it, costs £28/month, £336/year or A$605/year equivalent and fortunately I can expense it but would pay anyway.

The new basic router that Vodafone came with worked better throughout the house than my big beast Cisco so I chucked it and kept the Vodafone one.

The desktop I’m writing this on tests at 105Mbps download and 49.7mbps upload right now which is more than good enough for all our work and personal devices and streaming. The point is in UK, this was pretty much all done by private firms who just had to lobby govt and councils for access, then off they go.

As you say, Australia’s $60bn plus splashout is just embarrassing waste and was technically redundant almost before it started.

25. Diogenes says:

Nob,
    There are plenty of places in the UK where they cant get wifi or even adsl, and some are within 30km of the London GPO.

26. mundi says:

Economically, NBN is still in its infancy.

NBN co need to get to about $50 to $60 per month per house to be economically viable.

That’s just the charge the ISPs pay NBN co. Then end user costs will start creeping up to meet this.

We haven’t even began to see the first steps of this monopoly. Enjoy your $60/month plans for 50mbps… over the next few years prices are going to explode. I predict by 2025 a basic internet connection will be $100/month and/or an nbn tax levied on wireless plans etc.

27. Bad Samaritan says:

I have no f’cks to give about any of this.

Have only had wireless broadband for about 14 years, with no issues whatsoever. It just gets faster (are we up to 10G yet?) and cheaper.

The first time I heard about the NBN, and Chairman Kev The Magnificent being the “brains” behind it I was not even wondering Why TF Channel 9 Newcastle was the lead party in the whole thing. Kevvy and f’ups always went together, so the reason was obvious.

28. sfw says:

I said that the NBN would be obsolete before it was finished, I am correct. I’m off to Starlink.

29. Lee says:

KRudd hasn’t the slightest sense of shame about anything.

30. Aethelred says:

Lets not forget that the competing technology, WiFi, was invented by an Australian, John O’Sullivan and the patents are owned by the CSIRO.

31. Neil says:

Also people forget Rudd in 2007 promised a FTTN-NBN costing taxpayers $4.7B and finished by 2013. It was a major election promise which helped him win the election.
    They put the project out for tender after winning the election but there were no offers good enough so their election promise was thrown into the bin.

If the Coalition had told an election lie like that ALP supporters would never let the Coalition forget it.

32. Forester says:

Conroy’s NBN proposal presented to Rudd

Link

It also depends on how fast the accountants link you to your office, if they don’t want their staff all moving to a Noosa beachside apartment they’ll choke the feed through a crippled proxy.

Imagine being a boss in your sopping wet Dandenong office, after a gruelling battle through the gridlock, Zooming with a shirtless staff member sporting tousled wet hair from their morning surf at Coolum Beach, straining to hear him over the Lorikeets.

33. John Bayley says:

Conroy’s NBN proposal presented to Rudd

That is actually a pretty apt description of the entire boondoggle.

We have been running our small office in a regional QLD city over Vodafone 4G for the past 3 years because the NBN, when it arrived here, was almost unusable.

The other day I got an e-mail from TPG, who are merging with Vodafone, trying to tempt me to switch to the NBN.

So I thought I’d check it out.

So far, they’ve had to admit that for our use case, the NBN will be slower and cost about the same as the 4G.

NBN Corp apparently also has no record of what kind of connectivity there is in our building, even though we are in a modern office tower located in the middle of CBD, and the legal firm across the hallway on the same floor do have an active NBN connection.

Hence an NBN technician would need to come in to inspect in person; however ‘their booking system is currently down’ and they are unable to advise when it will be back up again.

That was two weeks ago and not another word since.

I have had internet up and running in Vanuatu faster than the NBN is clearly capable of doing; for a business customer, no less.

But no doubt once the ‘Liberal’ (LOL) government starts charging competitors an ‘NBN tax’ because they apparently have an ‘unfair advantage’ of not having to run an unprofitable business, all will magically be fixed and we’ll be the ‘envy of the world’ again, as is apparently our birth right.

Because Lucky Country.